PDA

View Full Version : Disney possibly eliminating the filets

simonkodousek
07-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Who else thinks this is absurd and a bad decision on Disney's part? I think there should be two seperate menus; a DDP menu and a non-DDP menu. There should also be a DxDDP menu for those that wish to have the filets on the DDP.

DSNY4ever
07-23-2008, 02:40 PM
Ridiculous. My husband and I have never used the dining plan because we don't tend to eat our money's worth, but when we want to treat ourselves to a nice filet, vacation is a time to do it- would they really let the Dining plan ruin that!?!

robind
07-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Okay, that is soooooo stupid. I must agree with Pete on this one. Dumb, dumb, dumb!!!!!

UrsulasShadow
07-23-2008, 04:23 PM
That's a reason I stay offsite...dining offsite gives you the option at a much better price spread. You want a filet? Go to a decent offsite restaurant.

WDW is going to regret this. Why would Florida residents ever want to go to a Disney restaurant again???

bytheblood
07-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Has Disney actually announced this or is it all speculation?

Either way it is pretty silly considering that their prices are over-inflated anyway.

cccm
07-23-2008, 05:11 PM
It is stupid to remove it from the menus. I tend not to eat filet mignon at WDW, but it is my safety item.

lorax123
07-23-2008, 05:14 PM
it's a hideously stupid idea. Keep it pay OOP or raise DDP prices. Limiting the menu. What a bonehead idea.

wishspirit
07-23-2008, 05:19 PM
Just another reason to go off property! :mad:

drakethib
07-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Oh geeze.

They are losing it.

annie1995
07-23-2008, 05:33 PM

Ditto

disneyholic family
07-23-2008, 05:34 PM
i haven't had a chance to listen to this week's show yet..
can someone please explain this post?
did Pete say something in the show?

sanapunk
07-23-2008, 05:37 PM
How am I going to be able to convince my boyfriend to continuously go to WDw with me now? All he eats is steak, almost everyday! And we pay OOP!

3guysandagal
07-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Maybe with the money they save by not having the filets, they can afford to buy PEARS!!! Real ones.....

WaltD4Me
07-23-2008, 06:24 PM
It is speculation right now, but I was thinking, I wonder if they will just remove the filets during free dining? It just seems TOO ridiculous, even for Disney, to remove them permanantly.

If they do though I won't be happy. I don't eat seafood, so what does that leave me with? I like chicken, but not that much. And I also don't use the DDP. I pay OOP. We also don't go off property, so that really isnt a solution for us. One of the reasons I love going Disney is that I don't have to worry about a car, driving, directions and parking. I like my vacations to be as mindless as possible! :teeth:

simonkodousek
07-23-2008, 06:33 PM

Another ditto. We'll have a car on our next WDW vacation, so if there aren't filets on the menu then, we'll just drive offsite.

annie1995
07-23-2008, 06:36 PM
Another ditto. We'll have a car on our next WDW vacation, so if there aren't filets on the menu then, we'll just drive offsite.

It'll be cheaper too, thats for sure LOL

calypso*a*go-go
07-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Okay...we have fridge swaps, stroller swaps, even Croc swaps...looks like it's time to start grill swaps!!! That's right folks, we'll just throw that Weber down on the walkway in front of the rooms and start BBQing our own steaks. :thumbsup2

I have to admit, at first I thought everyone was jumping to conclusions with all the "DDP is ruining WDW" threads -- but now I feel like I'm getting ready to grab a torch and pitchfork and join in.

Why not keep the fillets and just add a surcharge of some kind for people using DDP? They can't tell us there's no way to do it as the gratuity situation is proof that they can.

disneygirl 17
07-23-2008, 07:23 PM
As if they don't make enough money....I mean they take the appetizer and tip being included. I find it hard to believe that offering a filet kills their profit. I mean they must make money on it or they would have never changed the policy to let their AP holders get the DDP.

I hope it doesn't happend before December when I go I usually get the filet at least once.

If they start to surcharge or make different menus for DDP I will have to think twice about getting it.

Tissa
07-23-2008, 07:32 PM
They took away Twinkie Tiramisu and now possibly filets.:mad:
That makes me think very un Disney thoughts right now, I need to wash my mind out with soap.

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb......... What's next?:headache:

pershing
07-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Disney may be doing it for a second pre-emptive reason. Did anyone catch the story on Fox or CNN news about how bad the beef situation is in Texas and California? They say that cattle ranchers are selling off over half of their herds to pay for hay to feed the rest. The drought is so bad out there that there's no grass for the cows. So the market is fine now because the sold cows are flooding the market with beef but next year prices will soar when there's less beef going to the market.

The question is: are Disney people that smart to think so far ahead to remove the filet now before they double or triple in price?

ead79
07-23-2008, 08:23 PM
Oh good grief! I really can't stand the dining plan as I think it has really "dumbed down" the menus and resulted in much less variety and quality. I wish they would just restrict what is included on the DDP instead of limited the choices for everyone. We never use the dining plan (we use DDE instead), and this really frustrates me.

Disney8704
07-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Where has everyone heard about this? This is the 1st time Im hearing about it. I hope they dont do away with the filets! Its the only reason why Im going to Jiko..to get the Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon. If they are gonna remove it, they better do it either before I get there or after. I dont wanna get all the way to Jiko to learn they dont have it anymore. :mad:

MenashaCorp
07-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Where has everyone heard about this? This is the 1st time Im hearing about it. I hope they dont do away with the filets! Its the only reason why Im going to Jiko..to get the Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon. If they are gonna remove it, they better do it either before I get there or after. I dont wanna get all the way to Jiko to learn they dont have it anymore. :mad:

Pete made the distinction that this rumoured (:wave: Hi UK DISers!!) change would not involve Disney's "signature" restaurants, of which I believe Jiko certainly would be one.

Minnie Lor
07-24-2008, 07:21 PM
Ridiculous. My husband and I have never used the dining plan because we don't tend to eat our money's worth, but when we want to treat ourselves to a nice filet, vacation is a time to do it- would they really let the Dining plan ruin that!?!

Yeah, That! Exactly my point as well. DH almost always orders filets or steaks while I order their specialty. We'd off property more often if this went into effect.

WebmasterJohn
07-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Disney may be doing it for a second pre-emptive reason. Did anyone catch the story on Fox or CNN news about how bad the beef situation is in Texas and California? They say that cattle ranchers are selling off over half of their herds to pay for hay to feed the rest. The drought is so bad out there that there's no grass for the cows. So the market is fine now because the sold cows are flooding the market with beef but next year prices will soar when there's less beef going to the market.

The question is: are Disney people that smart to think so far ahead to remove the filet now before they double or triple in price?

Three words...Polar Bear Filet

*KeepMovingForward*
07-24-2008, 07:39 PM
It is speculation right now, but I was thinking, I wonder if they will just remove the filets during free dining? It just seems TOO ridiculous, even for Disney, to remove them permanantly.

If they do though I won't be happy. I don't eat seafood, so what does that leave me with? I like chicken, but not that much. And I also don't use the DDP. I pay OOP. We also don't go off property, so that really isnt a solution for us. One of the reasons I love going Disney is that I don't have to worry about a car, driving, directions and parking. I like my vacations to be as mindless as possible! :teeth:

ITA! I don't do seafood and chicken doesn't thrill me. I'm a hardcore meat eater and I live on those yummy filets while there. We don't do DDP, although we use our DDE. I hope this doesn't come to pass...I'll go into beef deprivation. :scared1:

abish19
07-24-2008, 07:58 PM
They don't even need to print multiple menus...just have one menu with symbols next to each item to signify whether it's on the DDP or not. You know, the way some restaurants indicate their "healthier" options, etc.

That way, those who are using the dining plan will see how they are getting ripped off further! (I've used the DDP twice in the past. I just think it's value is becoming less clear for our family).

If it does come down to that (and if the rumored price increases materialize), then I won't even be considering the dining plan. We never tried to "get the most for our money" by only ordering expensive items, but we did order whatever seemed appetizing at the time, and I daresay that may have included a filet?! If the DDP becomes more restrictive its value has already diminished.

Rant over!

Launchpad11B
07-25-2008, 07:25 AM
Pete made the distinction that this rumoured (:wave: Hi UK DISers!!) change would not involve Disney's "signature" restaurants, of which I believe Jiko certainly would be one.

That's good to hear. I was wondering how places like Le Cellier and Yachtsmans Steak House would be affected.:thumbsup2

goofyboyzmom
07-25-2008, 07:37 AM
I hope they don't do this, obviously, but I really don't think they should do this during or because of free dining. The people who are lucky enough to be going during this time (not us :sad1: ) are expecting to be able to order great things off the menus, that is the point of trying so hard to be part of and excitement of free dining. Other than that, that is like all restaurants stopping serving anything but beef and nobody being able to choose chicken or seafood. :confused3

n2mm
07-25-2008, 07:40 AM
That's good to hear. I was wondering how places like Le Cellier and Yachtsmans Steak House would be affected.:thumbsup2

Yachtsmans Steak House is a signature restraurant, so not affected. I'll be curious to see how this turns out.

Masonic Mouse
07-25-2008, 07:43 AM
As long as they keep the PIE on the menue.

Jeff

snoopywoodstockus
07-25-2008, 07:44 AM
IF they do this, I can see LeCellier becoming a signature Rest.

n2mm
07-25-2008, 07:46 AM

I hadn't thought of that, but agree that could be in it's future. It use to be until a few years ago (before 2005).

Disney8704
07-25-2008, 08:50 AM
Or maybe they will change the type of restaurant it is. Instead of it being a steak house they will change it into something else. You never really can tell at this point. So many changes have been happening and are gonna happen, its a possibility.

FireDancer
07-25-2008, 10:56 AM
I have a feeling that this is a no win for Disney. If they just take the fillet off the menu as rumored a lot of people (like on this thread) will not like it and wish Disney would just limit the items that are available on DDP. I would bet a kidney that if they took that advise and made certain items not available on the DDP there will be a post that people want to eat anything off the menu and the DDP is limiting their choices. I personally donít like the DDP and agree with those who think that the DDP has dumbed down the menus. I use neither the DDP not do I order filets at Disney so neither of these would effect me personally.

While no solution will please everybody I think the best option is to tweak the way that the DDP and DxDDP work. I would make the limited menu as suggested where the regular DDP can only order limited items. I would then price the DxDP a little higher and along with the current added benefits make it so the DxDP can order from the entire menu.

shyjade
07-25-2008, 11:04 AM
I hope they don't do this, obviously, but I really don't think they should do this during or because of free dining. The people who are lucky enough to be going during this time (not us :sad1: ) are expecting to be able to order great things off the menus, that is the point of trying so hard to be part of and excitement of free dining. Other than that, that is like all restaurants stopping serving anything but beef and nobody being able to choose chicken or seafood. :confused3

Well I don't want them doing it after free dining either. Last year I had the best filet I've ever had in my entire life at LeCellier...if they take filets off the menus, I won't be dining or staying on property anymore. I'll go back to staying offsite in MUCH CHEAPER resorts, renting a car and eating what/where I want.

To me, the attraction of staying onsite has as much to do with the options available to us (without having to leave the property) as it does convenience. Take away my beef, and I'm renting a condo near a steakhouse!

(Thank you for letting me vent...I get rather riled up when my beef is threatened!)

abeyst
07-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Sounds like Disney isn't going to be happy until the adult menu looks exactly like the kids menu.

p.s.
I won't need to grill-swap... just tell me when you're there and I'll travel at the same time and I'll pay you to grill for me!

disneyholic family
07-26-2008, 02:52 AM
I have a feeling that this is a no win for Disney. If they just take the fillet off the menu as rumored a lot of people (like on this thread) will not like it and wish Disney would just limit the items that are available on DDP. I would bet a kidney that if they took that advise and made certain items not available on the DDP there will be a post that people want to eat anything off the menu and the DDP is limiting their choices. I personally donít like the DDP and agree with those who think that the DDP has dumbed down the menus. I use neither the DDP not do I order filets at Disney so neither of these would effect me personally.

While no solution will please everybody I think the best option is to tweak the way that the DDP and DxDDP work. I would make the limited menu as suggested where the regular DDP can only order limited items. I would then price the DxDP a little higher and along with the current added benefits make it so the DxDP can order from the entire menu.

i agree - limit the menu for the regular dining plan and have the full menu available for the deluxe plan and price it accordingly...

also, if the problem is free dining, then either get rid of free dining, or limit the menu available to free dining.....but don't punish the rest of the patrons because it's too expensive to have filet during free dining...

IHEARTNY
07-26-2008, 03:04 AM
ITA! I don't do seafood and chicken doesn't thrill me. I'm a hardcore meat eater and I live on those yummy filets while there. We don't do DDP, although we use our DDE. I hope this doesn't come to pass...I'll go into beef deprivation. :scared1:

Me too!
I WILL NOT eat seafood and I really don't prefer chicken. I like my red meat a lot and it's not like I can't have any while there, I'll just be devistated if my favorite cut of meat is gone. Even at home about 90% of beef I buy is in the form filet mignon. :sad2: I guess I'll have to hit up signature Disney dining and Shula's a lot more if this is true.... which I'm sure is part of Disney's plan.

IHEARTNY
07-26-2008, 03:15 AM
i agree - limit the menu for the regular dining plan and have the full menu available for the deluxe plan and price it accordingly...

also, if the problem is free dining, then either get rid of free dining, or limit the menu available to free dining.....but don't punish the rest of the patrons because it's too expensive to have filet during free dining...

I really don't agree that the problem is free dining. The main reason my family/friends and I make a trip in September is for free dining. Otherwise we wouldn't be going there spending about $10,000 like we did last trip with 5 people, this time it's 4 so it may be a little less.... they're smart- offer 14 days of free food which essentially isn't all that expensive for an extra $10,000 that we wouldn't have spent to begin with.
Don't get me wrong though, we don't go solely for the free dining in September, but the maybe- maybe not question of if we'll go in for another trip to Disney in the year is swayed because of the free dining. I am sure we're not the only ones also.

Anyone who has been inside a grocery store in the past two months can see that prices are rising, and they're rising everywhere. With that cuts need to be made and prices at restaurants are going to go up. It sucks but times change.

I understand why they would cut back on an expensive cut of meat. I don't think it's wise as I'm sure just about everyone here wouldn't mind paying an extra $2-5 for filets. But it's still not going to ruin my trip. Until they ban food completely from the parks- I will not let food be the part of a Disney trip that ever really angers me.

Jubilee
07-26-2008, 07:26 AM
Don't do this crap. :woohoo:

accountingbabe08
07-28-2008, 04:16 PM
place. Thanks for the information.

Vijoge
07-28-2008, 04:32 PM
I hope they dont do away with the filets! Its the only reason why Im going to Jiko..to get the Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon. If they are gonna remove it, they better do it either before I get there or after. I dont wanna get all the way to Jiko to learn they dont have it anymore. :mad:

If that happens, order the Maize-crusted and Seared Halibut. It's amazing.

lugnut33
07-28-2008, 04:39 PM
I just bet that Disney is not making enough money off the dining plans, so they are tinkering with it in the name of shareholder profits. Just like raising all the prices for extras (fishing, RPE, strollers, & etc) it's a way for them to increase profits without really making people upset.

We gave up doing the DDP this year to eat off-site because we know it's cheaper and I was really upset with how much they've raised prices inside the parks.

Vijoge
07-28-2008, 04:45 PM
also, if the problem is free dining, then either get rid of free dining, or limit the menu available to free dining during free dining...

I think getting rid of free dining might be the better option. They've eliminated the appetizer, eliminated the included tips, and now if they start eliminating entree items they might as well just eliminate free dining. I'd rather not have it than have someone tell me I can have the chicken, green beans, and vanilla pudding but not the tenderloin, asparagus, and creme brule.

joeandjenn
07-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Seriously? It's not the free dining. It would only affect their bottom line if EVERY person on the free dining ordered filet. I've been to WDW 6 times and can honestly say, I've never ordered a filet, free dining or not. I would say it's a rumor, PERIOD. When we take advantage of free dining, we don't take "advantage" and order the most expensive item on the menu. We order what we like or what interests us. Realistically, it won't happen. The beef industry wouldn't let it happen!

Kristina
07-31-2008, 04:50 AM
If the Disney higher ups remove the filet or anything like that from the dining plan I won't be purchasing the dining plan for my group again. This could be a good thing actually, because then I will be paying oop for all my dining, and will be free to go off site to eat :thumbsup2! As well as not being tied to Disney by the dining plan and the one or two meals staying at the Universal Resorts or near Sea World will become much more attractive :)!

Yes removing the filet from the dining plan sounds like a wonderful idea :rolleyes:. Way to go Disney, if this comes to pass.

WebmasterPete
08-02-2008, 09:16 AM
It's not a rumor, it's already started happening. Brian Varley called me yesterday to tell me that the filet at Aritist Pointe was pulled. I've also heard that it's been pulled from the Kona Kafe menu as well.

What a shame.

Pete

*KeepMovingForward*
08-02-2008, 09:29 AM
It's not a rumor, it's already started happening. Brian Varley called me yesterday to tell me that the filet at Aritist Pointe was pulled. I've also heard that it's been pulled from the Kona Kafe menu as well.

What a shame.

Pete

Oh no! We have ADR's for both those places in October. DH is an adventurous eater, so this will not bother him...but I am not and I count on the filet for my dinner. Ugh! This is not good. :sad2:

OKW Lover
08-02-2008, 09:33 AM

What a shame.

Pete

Uhh, Pete. Artist Point never had a filet on its menu so how could it have been pulled? They do have a beef tenderloin - was that it?

shyjade
08-04-2008, 08:28 AM
Uhh, Pete. Artist Point never had a filet on its menu so how could it have been pulled? They do have a beef tenderloin - was that it?

Tenderloin and filet are basically the same thing.

aaronmckie
08-04-2008, 08:33 AM

What a shame.

Pete

Yikes, that is a suprise; at least they still have the bison (buffalo)... right?

Halbleib1
08-04-2008, 08:44 AM
If they dont remove the steaks off the whole menu and instead give the DDP people their own menu how many people do you think will buy the dining plan? They would have to lower the cost of the DDP in order to make it worth it to most people. (As it is its not that great of a value anymore with the tip and appetizer being removed from it.) I am not much of a steak eater so could care less either way. Matter of fact if we go back to Disney next year we will probably be using the counter service dining plan. Lets not come up with any ideas on how to make that more expensive now. :lmao: Such as needing to leave a tip for your cook and waiter. :sick: I can forsee that happening in the future though. :sad2: All of our goods and services are going up around the world however Disney seems to be excessively greedy lately. :mad:

UrsulasShadow
08-04-2008, 09:27 AM

What a shame.

Pete

Tell me it's not gone from Jiko, too! That ruins that stop for me.

letsgoagainsoon
08-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Can someone really confirm this? :confused3

Vijoge
08-04-2008, 03:08 PM
Tell me it's not gone from Jiko, too! That ruins that stop for me.

Don't avoid JIKO over a piece of meat. Try the Halibut-it's incredible.

WaltD4Me
08-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Someone on the Restaurants board said the filet isn't on the Brown Derby menu anymore either. :sad2:

OKW Lover
08-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Tenderloin and filet are basically the same thing.

So, they removed the tenderloin from the menu at Artist Point? Even though this is a Signature restaurant?

UrsulasShadow
08-04-2008, 04:42 PM
This is bad news. Signature restaurants, at the very least, should retain quality foodstuffs on their menu.

And yes, I will avoid my favorite restaurant of all time, Jiko, if they take the filet off. I may not want to order it a particular day, but the filet on mac n cheese is my favorite dish there, and I can't help but be very, very disappointed if they don't have it.

*KeepMovingForward*
08-04-2008, 04:50 PM
This is bad news. Signature restaurants, at the very least, should retain quality foodstuffs on their menu.

I agree. With taking two TS credits on the dining plan, I don't get why they have to nix the filet at the signature restaurants. We don't use the DDP, so I guess this is why the change stings even more since I feel like we're being penalized for something we don't even use in the first place.

MenashaCorp
08-04-2008, 05:07 PM

Foodstuffs?? If you're using such language, shouldn't it be "on their Bill of Fare??" :rotfl:

Danged smart people.... :rotfl2:

eam
08-05-2008, 10:15 AM
If filets are gone -- looks like we will do Universal next year. :mad:

NanaDarling
08-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Is it just the fillets/tenderloins that are being removed or are all steaks being removed from the menus? I enjoy the fillets, but I can be just as happy with a strip steak.

MrsNick
08-05-2008, 09:06 PM
I'm stunned. I can't believe that the filets were even removed from Signature restaurants.

I find the timing to be rather interesting, however, as August 3rd was the start of free dining for U.K. guests.

squirrel
08-05-2008, 11:39 PM
I can't believe it.:scared1: I think I will be sick of chicken by the time I finish this 14 night trip. If there isn't a steak to be found that is the only other thing for me to eat-I don't like seafood. I carefully looked at all the menus when I booked our ADR's to make sure there was something I would eat. :headache:

I don't eat hamburgers-I don't think I could even eat one if I was getting paid a million dollars. Actually, I could keep going with all the things I don't eat. It's easier if I list the things I will eat.

Soccermom-Cheri
08-06-2008, 12:23 PM
I was thinking that ADR's at the "signature places" would be next to impossible to get if they were the only places filets could be found. Now I guess that's not a concern.

So, now we'll need a thread of nice places to stay off property that have decent transporation. Vacation is for an artery-clogging piece of filet!

mickeysgirl17
08-06-2008, 01:01 PM
All I can say is NOOOOOOOOO!

mathgeek
08-08-2008, 08:09 PM

What a shame.

Pete

I called the Poly yesterday to find out about Kona b/c we had an ADR for next Wednesday. They confirmed that after Saturday (tomorrow) the filet will not be on the menu. So I canceled our ressie since that was the only reason we were going there. Guess we'll be eating CS instead that night.

n2mm
08-09-2008, 06:05 AM
This is not good if it is removed from Narcoossees. We are going there next week and I was looking forward to their filet. I had it last year and it was the best ever. I hope I find out before I get there.

starwood
08-09-2008, 06:39 AM
Wouldn't they be better off eliminating the $32 lobster tails at Captain Jack's?

TewEpcot
08-09-2008, 06:54 AM
I just found this thread and I am actually sick to my stomach. Guess we'll never be eating a full meal at Le Cellier again. A PP said that a strip steak is fine for them but I never eat any other cut of steak. :sad1:

What a ridiuclous way to conduct business... Disney has done some strange things in the past, but this takes the cake (or steak, really).

My DPs are there right now... I don't even know if they were aware this was going to happen.

*KeepMovingForward*
08-09-2008, 07:45 AM
A PP said that a strip steak is fine for them but I never eat any other cut of steak. :sad1:

Same here...other cuts aren't the same for me either.

I wonder if this change is permanent or a temporary one they are implementing during free dining?

*NikkiBell*
08-09-2008, 09:18 AM
I find all of this very odd.

ShhhQ
08-09-2008, 12:12 PM
I have never been a big fan of Filet Mignon.... but I love steak!

Please tell me they aren't removing all steaks!!!
My fav is NY Strip!

annie1995
08-09-2008, 03:37 PM

What a shame.

Pete

Anyword on the Mushroom Filet at LeCellier?

DLBDS
08-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Just to clarify...this is only filets (tenderloin) and not all steak, correct? I never thought (if this was true) that it would be implemented so quickly. We had an ADR for Artist Pointe so DH could have the filet he liked so much last year. He's a VERY picky eater and this is just disastrous for us (me :sad2: ). We leave next month (yep, FREE dining). At this late date not sure what to do. AP is a 2 TS credit restaurant. I would have to get another one at 2 TS credits or try to get 2 separate ADRs on separate days for restaurants that are only 1 TS credit .....all at late notice.

DLBDS
08-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Is it possible, you think, that maybe Disney will replace the filets w/ cheaper cuts like ribeyes? Or are they just doing away with beef all together?

zoie101
08-09-2008, 05:43 PM
I can not imagine they would even think about limiting the menu:thumbsup2

auntsue
08-09-2008, 06:38 PM
We do the Fantasmic dinner package every trip, and the filet was not there in April, (I don't remember if it was there in January). DH was not happy. I agree with the posters who think it should definitely by retained at the Signature restaurants. For 2 TS credits, I also think you should get an appetizer.

Since we now drive up from Naples, my DH keeps pushing "offsite, offsite," and I have resisted up till now (he doesn't drive). I may have to give it a try in February (We already have all of our ADR's for Dec.). Who knows what the new DDP for 09 will include and will not include.

I hate the thought of wasting all that time going offsite, but I think it is beginning to make more sense. We haven't really been too happy with the DDP, or a lot of the restaurants, this year. Well, we'll be there for 10 days in Feb, so that's as good a time as any to give offsite a try.

DLBDS
08-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Whew! I think my crisis has been averted. I called just now and got the Yachtsman Steakhouse for 7:25. It's our last night so I don't mind eating a tiny bit later than usual. Make the magic last a bit longer! It was a shocker for me really. I thought they would either be full or only have late night availability. DH will have a few beef selections to choose from. Unless Disney decides to totally do away with beef. (DH) :mad: (Me):scared:

hoosiergirl7
08-09-2008, 11:34 PM
This is all so very uncool. Right now we have the DDP for our trip next year. However, if I can't get a steak anywhere, I'm definitely ditching the DDP and just paying OOP. I was especially upset about Kona dropping the fillet.

I wish I knew if this was just a temporary thing during free dining or if it's permanent. I hope it's just a temporary thing.

Joshua_me
08-10-2008, 12:40 AM
What a ridiuclous way to conduct business... Disney has done some strange things in the past, but this takes the cake (or steak, really).

I agree.

I know the economy is bad right now, but at Disney the hotels are full and business is bustling.

Make a separate menu, take fillets off of the DDP, but don't eliminate them altogether, that makes no sense at all.

Next thing you know, they'll be charging extra for ketchup

I'd suggest you head over to The Dolphin and eat at Shulla's or bluezoo, and patronize a corporation that's hasn't lost their minds to pure greed.

UrsulasShadow
08-10-2008, 07:54 AM
Whew! I think my crisis has been averted. I called just now and got the Yachtsman Steakhouse for 7:25. It's our last night so I don't mind eating a tiny bit later than usual. Make the magic last a bit longer! It was a shocker for me really. I thought they would either be full or only have late night availability. DH will have a few beef selections to choose from. Unless Disney decides to totally do away with beef. (DH) :mad: (Me):scared:

But are they offering filet?

Morganw42
08-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Are Filets the only items being deleted? I know that I'm a dissenting opinion, but I really don't care for filet. I've always preferred a ribeye, NY strip or porter house to filet. I'm worried that all steaks and high value items will be gone by the time of our trip on 9/7. We've got adrs at Jiko, Narcoossies and CG and will be really burned if our $800 dxddp gets turned into the "disney chicken breast and pasta dining plan".

Its not just about filet for us but if it becomes no filet, no steak, no lobster, no scallops and no fish other than salmon then what's left. I fear that's where this is headed. I'm wondering if we should drop the plan entirely, which is too bad because we didn't choose the plan to save money or "get over" on disney.

I wanted to use the dxddp as insurance against ourselves (we are practical and disciplined in our spending and diet) and force the luxury of each getting an app. and a dessert on ourselves because we rarely opt for both. Should I cancel the plan or go forward in the hopes that the filet is the only casualty?:confused3

Morganw42
08-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Does anybody know an attorney with class action experience? The more I think about it the fishier the timing of these changes in conjunction with *free* dining becomes. Even though we are paying for our dxddp out of pocket I can see where people who booked free dining packages would feel defrauded. Disney offered a contact that said in exchange for booking one of these packages that you will be able to eat (X) meals at your choice of (Y) restaurants and what these meals will include.

Disney is not stupid and has covered their bases in the DDP brochure by adding the "subject to change without notice" clause in the fine print. However such disclaimers can be negated if malfeasance is proven.
:teacher:

concept5123
08-10-2008, 09:48 PM
its free if they want to stop they can...i wouldent complain or hell they will take it all away....haha

shyjade
08-11-2008, 08:16 AM
its free if they want to stop they can...i wouldent complain or hell they will take it all away....haha

Take it away! I used to PAY for the dining plan but it's gone downhill so much it's no longer worth paying for. Sadly, I want to PAY (OOP) for filets but apparently no longer can.

Why didn't they just skip the dining plan and let people pay OOP for the foods they WANT?! :sad2:

*KeepMovingForward*
08-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Take it away! I used to PAY for the dining plan but it's gone downhill so much it's no longer worth paying for. Sadly, I want to PAY (OOP) for filets but apparently no longer can.

Why didn't they just skip the dining plan and let people pay OOP for the foods they WANT?! :sad2:

ITA! This dining plan has been a thorn in my side since its inception. We pay OOP and use the DDE card. If removing the filets isn't related to the DDP, then I'd love to know what the motivation behind that move was.

irisbud
08-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Does anybody know an attorney with class action experience? The more I think about it the fishier the timing of these changes in conjunction with *free* dining becomes. Even though we are paying for our dxddp out of pocket I can see where people who booked free dining packages would feel defrauded. Disney offered a contact that said in exchange for booking one of these packages that you will be able to eat (X) meals at your choice of (Y) restaurants and what these meals will include.

Disney is not stupid and has covered their bases in the DDP brochure by adding the "subject to change without notice" clause in the fine print. However such disclaimers can be negated if malfeasance is proven.
:teacher:

Perhaps (big perhaps) if the filets, etc returned to the menu following the close of the free dining period (even that would probably be a stretch, though). As long as they remain off of the menu, however, I don't see where there would be any cause for suit. If it was going to change, it would have to change sometime.

This is not to say that I disagree. I think the timing was planned in advance. I also think this is a foolish move on the part of Disney. I agree with what others have posted before: instead of limiting and homoginizing all menus in general, create a seperate menu for the dining plan (if you must) that is limited, leaving the main menu avalible for all of those who do not utilize the dining plan.

Bad move, Disney! :mad:

irisbud
08-11-2008, 08:30 AM
ITA! This dining plan has been a thorn in my side since its inception. We pay OOP and use the DDE card. If removing the filets isn't related to the DDP, then I'd love to know what the motivation behind that move was.

"Customer demand" I'm sure :rolleyes:

*KeepMovingForward*
08-11-2008, 08:34 AM

You really think customer demand caused them to take the filets OFF? Perhaps its just my observation, but those filets sure seemed pretty popular any time we were dining in Disney.

irisbud
08-11-2008, 08:42 AM
You really think customer demand caused them to take the filets OFF? Perhaps its just my observation, but those filets sure seemed pretty popular any time we were dining in Disney.

It was sarcasm, hence the eyeroll smilie ( :rolleyes: ) :goodvibes

*KeepMovingForward*
08-11-2008, 08:51 AM
It was sarcasm, hence the eyeroll smilie ( :rolleyes: ) :goodvibes

sorry...read your response through my email...those cute little smilies don't show up there! LOL!

trivial
08-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Has this been confirmed, or is it a rumor? I don't recall what was said on the podcast. In any case, removing filets is the wrong thing to do, period. They should simply note on the menus items which can be had with the dining plan, or which items can not. I don't see the wisdom in Disney further degrading the quality/quantity of their food offerings to accomodate their dining plan.

Tricia1972
08-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Has this been confirmed, or is it a rumor? I don't recall what was said on the podcast. In any case, removing filets is the wrong thing to do, period. They should simply note on the menus items which can be had with the dining plan, or which items can not. I don't see the wisdom in Disney further degrading the quality/quantity of their food offerings to accomodate their dining plan.

It's real. Pete chimed in on page 4 of this thread with this...

What a shame.

Pete

trivial
08-12-2008, 12:11 PM
GAH. Just sent off an e-mail to Disney.

Artist Pointe is a signature restaurant, isn't it? I had heard this might only be effecting non-Signature restaurants... guess it's resort-wide? Insane. Boo, Disney, boo!

lilyv
08-12-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't like them dumbing down the menu anywhere, but I especially don't like it at the Signatures. Maybe they need to remove the Signatures from the DDP.

Another option might be to offer a special DDP prix fixe menu, so they can leave higher priced menu items available for regular guests who want (and will pay) for more options.

shovan
08-12-2008, 08:07 PM
GAH. Just sent off an e-mail to Disney.

Artist Pointe is a signature restaurant, isn't it? I had heard this might only be effecting non-Signature restaurants... guess it's resort-wide? Insane. Boo, Disney, boo!

:thumbsup2 That is exactly what we need to do, start sending e-mails to Disney!

This is a foolish move. Are they trying to tell their repeat travelers to stay away? We have not added on a DP since about 1992, when they had silver, gold dining plans. After that they started having exclusions to the DP such as no lobster, etc. We knew that we didn't want our dining decisions to be controlled by someone else, hence we have not used the DP since. Now even the customer paying full price won't have high end options!? :confused: That is just insane. Who is doing there marketing research?!! Mickey Mouse!!!

Dale-Not-Chip
08-12-2008, 09:04 PM

All us customers have been demanding for years to be treated with less respect, lower quality, fewer choices, and higher prices. Finally Disney is finally listening to us the customer.

n2mm
08-20-2008, 07:29 PM
Wanted to post that I just returned today and the filet is OFF of the menu at the Captain's Grill (YC). Also off the menu now is the entree of peel and eat shrimp at the WCC Cafe. (It is still on the skillet, but no longer an entree choice).

UrsulasShadow
08-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Wanted to post that I just returned today and the filet is OFF of the menu at the Captain's Grill (YC). Also off the menu now is the entree of peel and eat shrimp at the WCC Cafe. (It is still on the skillet, but no longer an entree choice).

Evidently service is off the menu at the Captain's Grill, too!

n2mm
08-21-2008, 06:35 AM
Evidently service is off the menu at the Captain's Grill, too!

Actually we had a great server. He was very attentive and friendly. I did tell him I was looking forward to the filet. It was raining (Fay) and we were at the BCV, so we cancelled our other ADR and got one close to home. I checked online and saw the filet, but was disappointed to see the actual menu had changed. He said that the filet had just been removed and he thought it was a bad move. I had the prime rib and it was just so so, barely eatable. We will stick to lunch here in the future as I love the fish and chips here. No more dinners, but that is only because of the menu choices.

OKW Lover
08-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Just wanted to correct something in the prior posts. Artist Point never had a filet on its menu. They have always had a beef tenderloin, and it is still on the menu. So, the rumor of filets being taken of the menu at AP is incorrect.

DLBDS
08-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Just wanted to correct something in the prior posts. Artist Point never had a filet on its menu. They have always had a beef tenderloin, and it is still on the menu. So, the rumor of filets being taken of the menu at AP is incorrect.

Filet Mignon is beef tenderloin. When was the last time you visited AP?

WaltD4Me
08-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Forgive me because I really cannot remember where I read this, but I read somewhere on-line that they have also quietly starting removing "more expensive" items off the buffets. It wasn't specific as to the items, but that was the comment.

I'm not much of a foodie. When I'm at Disney I like a nice meal, but we don't do much signature dining, but when we DO, a filet is always my choice. And we aren't on the dining plan either...so now, if I know I can't get a filet, my choice will probably go somewhere cheaper. Why go to an expensive restaurant, if I have to settle for something I don't really want?

mathgeek
08-22-2008, 07:03 PM
We were in the World last week, and I can confrim that the filet has been removed from the menu at Kona. There is now a New York strip steak that I don't think had been on the menu before. (Deb's menu on allears is up to date.)

OKW Lover
08-22-2008, 07:36 PM
Filet Mignon is beef tenderloin. When was the last time you visited AP?

Yesterday

DLBDS
08-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Yesterday

I posted this in a separate thread but you are so correct. I called AP tonight and spoke w/ a manager and they are indeed still serving the tenderloin (filet) w/ no plans of removing it. Thank goodness. DH has been complaining ever since this news was 'announced'. :sad2:

kbmaggs
08-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Had a delicious fillet there tonight. Also saw fillet on the menu at Portobello Yacht Club.:goodvibes

patsal
08-23-2008, 06:37 PM
I didn't read the whole thread but I am so tired of the cutbacks and price hikes on the menus that are not in keeping with the reality of food prices--I know prices had to go up based on the economy, but many of the menu price hikes and offering reductions are in many ways related to the DDP (any form of it). Why not do what the other chain restaurants do when they offer the three course meal--set up a specific menu--how about how Applebess is set up now--your price is determined by the entree you choose, but you have a limited number of apps, entrees and desserts to choose from. If you have a dining plan you have to go with these or pay an upcharge oop. Variety would stay on the menu and prices would not be raised unrealistically to meet the shortfall from the DDP.
I for one cancelled a good number of ADR's in July becasue we were disappointed by the lack of offerings and not so great quality of the foods as well as the waitstaff. When asked why I was cancelling I didn't hesitate to share the reason. I doubt anyone will care about the four of us not eating at WDW but if more people pull themselves away it may make a difference.

OKW Lover
08-23-2008, 07:04 PM
I can confirm that the filet is still on the menu at LeCellier.

mmmears
08-24-2008, 01:08 AM
I agree with the OP. We dont use the DDP and I dont understand why my dining choices have to be so limited because of it. Different foods cost Disney different amounts of money, and those prices should be reflected in the menu prices.

OKW Lover
08-24-2008, 04:45 PM
The filet is also still on the LeCellier menu.

maxiesmom
08-24-2008, 04:52 PM
We were in the World last week, and I can confrim that the filet has been removed from the menu at Kona. There is now a New York strip steak that I don't think had been on the menu before. (Deb's menu on allears is up to date.)

That is the only reason we cancelled our dinner at the Kona and made a reservation at Le Ceiller. My sister didn't see anything else she wanted on the Kona menu. She wanted the filet, so it is off to Canada we go!

bytheblood
08-24-2008, 04:56 PM
The filet is also still on the LeCellier menu.

But only one of them. They pulled the filet with Maple BBQ Sauce off. :( That was the better of the 2.

bytheblood
08-24-2008, 04:58 PM
I didn't read the whole thread but I am so tired of the cutbacks and price hikes on the menus that are not in keeping with the reality of food prices--I know prices had to go up based on the economy, but many of the menu price hikes and offering reductions are in many ways related to the DDP (any form of it). Why not do what the other chain restaurants do when they offer the three course meal--set up a specific menu--how about how Applebess is set up now--your price is determined by the entree you choose, but you have a limited number of apps, entrees and desserts to choose from. If you have a dining plan you have to go with these or pay an upcharge oop. Variety would stay on the menu and prices would not be raised unrealistically to meet the shortfall from the DDP.
I for one cancelled a good number of ADR's in July becasue we were disappointed by the lack of offerings and not so great quality of the foods as well as the waitstaff. When asked why I was cancelling I didn't hesitate to share the reason. I doubt anyone will care about the four of us not eating at WDW but if more people pull themselves away it may make a difference.

BRAVO!!!

I too am tired of the price hikes and cut backs from Disney. They are taking away, but raising prices and give us nothing for it. This upcoming trip I have planned, if I follow through with it, will be my last trip to WDW. We are now booking other vacations.

We already cancelled our cruise with Disney and booked with somebody else.

angelmav
08-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Bytheblood, well said, I guess for those that only go once, they will never know the difference, but it feels like a kick to the gut for the repeat guests to keep swallowing these changes.

UrsulasShadow
08-24-2008, 07:36 PM
BRAVO!!!

I too am tired of the price hikes and cut backs from Disney. They are taking away, but raising prices and give us nothing for it. This upcoming trip I have planned, if I follow through with it, will be my last trip to WDW. We are now booking other vacations.

We already cancelled our cruise with Disney and booked with somebody else.

I admire your conviction...only with dropping attendance and revenue will a change be effected.

OKW Lover
08-26-2008, 01:25 PM
But only one of them. They pulled the filet with Maple BBQ Sauce off. :( That was the better of the 2.

Must have been the higher price of Maple BBQ sauce that tipped the scales. :goodvibes

SamIAm21
08-26-2008, 02:14 PM
I did a lot of offsite dining on my last trip and I ate what I wanted to eat, at more reasonable prices, and I didn't feel like I was being held hostage any longer or being taken advantage of by Disney restaurants. There are so many nice restaurants within a five to ten minute drive of WDW. I used to be all about being in the Magic from sun up to sun down each day of my WDW vacation, but I found it really refreshing this last trip to get off WDW property and see some other things like Celebration. So many nice places to eat where you are actually treated really really well and they are happy to have you there.

:wizard:

abish19
08-26-2008, 02:37 PM
Good point about the off-site dining, SamIAm...but isn't it too bad that WDW restaurants don't feel the same way? I can't help but feel that their attitude is sometimes "They're here anyway...why bother with great food and service?" That's certainly not the philosophy Walt Disney World was founded on.

Also, great suggestion about the Applebees-style dining choices. It doesn't seem like it would be THAT difficult to create menus for dining plan guests (although it would diminish the value of the dining plan for those who enjoy using it.). We will not be using the DDP again, for other reasons, but it stinks to know that if I want a big fat steak I'm limited in my choices.

UrsulasShadow
08-26-2008, 04:31 PM
I did a lot of offsite dining on my last trip and I ate what I wanted to eat, at more reasonable prices, and I didn't feel like I was being held hostage any longer or being taken advantage of by Disney restaurants. There are so many nice restaurants within a five to ten minute drive of WDW. I used to be all about being in the Magic from sun up to sun down each day of my WDW vacation, but I found it really refreshing this last trip to get off WDW property and see some other things like Celebration. So many nice places to eat where you are actually treated really really well and they are happy to have you there.

:wizard:

I'm with you there. I've been staying offsite and dining offsite for the past 2 years, and I have to say it's been a lot better not being so stressed about the cost and the 180 day ADRs, not to mention the concern about getting my money's worth.