PDA

View Full Version : New WDW Magazine

Renysmom
07-22-2008, 07:56 AM
I was listening to WDW Radio on the way to work (sorry guys but I ran out of Dis podcasts:) ) and the announced the creation of a new magazine focused on WDW. Sounds like it could be very good, based on who they have lined up to work with them.

Here is the link, not lots of info on site yet. You can hear about it on this weeks WDW Radio podcast about about halfway through.

http://www.celebrationspress.com/

CAJUNWDWFAN
07-22-2008, 08:15 AM
I'm subscribed to Orlando Attractions Magazine. I'll probably do the same for this one as well.

cyberbox2
07-22-2008, 09:51 AM
This looks promising I think I'll subscribe to this. I wish Disney was still putting out their official magazine:sad2:

vellamint
07-22-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm subscribed to Orlando Attractions Magazine. I'll probably do the same for this one as well.

Me too!!! I love Orlando Attractions Magazine, miss the old Disney Magazine and am now looking forward to this new magazine.

dvcfamily41801
07-22-2008, 03:04 PM
I will also be subscribing and another fan of Orlando Attractions!! Can't wait for it to come out next month!!!

SamIAm21
07-22-2008, 03:59 PM
I was able to speak with Tim Foster, Lou Mongello as well as Tim Devine, an awesome Disney-focused photographer (www.themagicinpixels.com), this past weekend at Magic Meets. If even one iota of their enthusiasm/talent shines through in this magazine, it will be something I'll be eagerly waiting for every other month.

:yay: :yay: :yay:

WaltD4Me
07-22-2008, 04:21 PM
This looks promising I think I'll subscribe to this. I wish Disney was still putting out their official magazine:sad2:

Me too! I loved Disney magazine. :sad1: I just bought some old copies on ebay that I didn't have. The park info may be old in them, but there were always great interviews, articles and I especially loved the "making of" articles. How they made a movie or an attraction, ect....

I like Orlando Attractions, but I miss the behind the scenes" type info from Disney magazine.

dvcfamily41801
07-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Me too! I loved Disney magazine. :sad1: I just bought some old copies on ebay that I didn't have. The park info may be old in them, but there were always great interviews, articles and I especially loved the "making of" articles. How they made a movie or an attraction, ect....

I like Orlando Attractions, but I miss the behind the scenes" type info from Disney magazine.

I should look into purchasing the 2 copies that I dont have of the Disney Magazine! I did not even think of that!!

YodaMouse
07-22-2008, 08:32 PM
I hate to sound paranoid, but is everyone sure this is a legitimate site? I started to put my information in, but thought how strange that you have to actually type in the experation date of your credit card as opposed to selecting it off a drop down list. I had my identity stolen once, don't want to go there again. If you have actually subscribed and had no problems, let me know; this sounds like a great magazine and I would love to get it, but I am just a little hesitant.

Renysmom
07-22-2008, 08:41 PM
I clicked subscribe and it took to a paypal account.

Lou Mongello is a lawyer.. and one heck of a straight-up guy so I am 100% sure it's legit but if you are hesitant email him and verify.

YodaMouse
07-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Thank you, I guess I just needed some reassurance; once burned, twice shy...

It will be nice to have some kind of a Disney magazine again. I had only just subscribed to the original Disney Magazine when they discontinued it. I was just beginning to enjoy it and I really miss the articles and behind the scenes information it provided.

mjperry
07-23-2008, 12:52 AM
I just ordered the magazine, wonder when it comes out.

dpuck1998
07-23-2008, 08:44 AM
I just ordered the magazine, wonder when it comes out.

According to the info it comes out Sept 08.

The first issue of Celebrations will premiere in September of 2008, with a new issue every other month.

harra
07-23-2008, 03:56 PM
I hate to sound paranoid, but is everyone sure this is a legitimate site? I started to put my information in, but thought how strange that you have to actually type in the experation date of your credit card as opposed to selecting it off a drop down list. I had my identity stolen once, don't want to go there again. If you have actually subscribed and had no problems, let me know; this sounds like a great magazine and I would love to get it, but I am just a little hesitant.

This magazine is the baby of Tim Foster (author of Guide to the Magic) and he has asked Lou Mongello to help him get it to print. Along with those two you have Beci Mahnken (MEI Travel/Mouse Fan Travel), Steve Barrett (Mr. Hidden Mickeys), Tim Devine (The Magic in Pixels), and Cara Goldsbury (The Luxury Guide to Walt Disney World) providing content.

I spoke to Tim Foster quite a bit at MagicMeets and this is a legitimate magazine that is in full swing to make a September debut.

Besides the headliners meantioned above there will be many other people contributing to the magazine on a regular basis, such as myself.

I'm excited about this magazine. It looks like it's going to be a really slick and quality production. Something that is sorely needed now that Disney has started cutting back on their periodicals geared toward those who are older than the Hannah Montana/High School Musical/Camp Rock demographic...LOL

SamIAm21
07-23-2008, 04:04 PM

My order was placed through PayPal and yes, I can 100% guarantee that this magazine is being run by very reputable people.

ghoulishgirl
07-23-2008, 06:14 PM
I also loved the old Disney magazine, so I went ahead a subscribed to this! I hope the first issue (Sept 08) is full of Halloween stuff!

bytheblood
07-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the information - I am going to get this.

Merry Mousketeer
07-24-2008, 12:49 AM
When I read this thread I checked out the site. After reading the names of the folks involved, I subscribed. I already subscribe to Orlando Attractions. Like the rest of you, I miss the Disney Magazine and will be sad to receive my last issue of E Ticket Magazine, whenever that may be.

Being a West Coaster, I can't help but wonder why there isn't a magazine about our crown jewel of Disney parks - Disneyland! Oh, and California Adventure. Most Disney podcasts are primarily about WDW. It tough on us Disneylanders. Where's the love?

Merry Mousketeer

harra
07-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Being a West Coaster, I can't help but wonder why there isn't a magazine about our crown jewel of Disney parks - Disneyland! Oh, and California Adventure. Most Disney podcasts are primarily about WDW. It tough on us Disneylanders. Where's the love?

Merry Mousketeer

From my understanding, this magazine is going to be about "all things Disney". To me that means that Disneyland or any of the other 3 Resorts (Paris, Tokyo, and Hong Kong) aren't out of the question either.

I grew up in San Marcos, California and Disneyland was an annual tradition for our family every Christmas Eve back in the 1970's. My wife lived in the High Desert during the late 90's and Disneyland was a frequent playground for her (she had her high school prom at what is now Paradise Pier Hotel).

Several months after getting married we went out to visit my mother-in-law and we took a trip to Disneyland during the Thanksgiving weekend. That was the spark that got me back into the Wonderful World of Disney and unfortunately also launched our rather extensive Christmas ornament collection...LOL

Disneyland will ALWAYS hold a special place in my heart. I definitely would love to see content about the park that Walt walked in

Disneydonnam
07-24-2008, 10:17 AM
I just placed my order and can't wait until Sept for it to arrive

wdwscout
07-24-2008, 02:30 PM
I was also at MagicMeets this past weekend and heard about Celebrations magazine from Lou and Tim.
I am so excited- can't wait for the first issue!! :cool1:

dfchelbay
10-17-2008, 10:48 AM
I'll vouch for Lou...you can trust him and his website.

wdwscout
10-30-2008, 11:20 AM
I have heard the first issue has shipped- but I have not received mine yet. :sad1:

Did anyone get theirs in the mail yet?

SamIAm21
10-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Nope, and I even asked DH if he secretly threw it away knowing full well it would stoke my Disney-jones!

He said he hasn't seen it! Sad!

mulderxcoltrane
10-30-2008, 11:40 AM
There's another thread on this topic:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1972001

rlduvall
10-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Still waiting on mine. BUT, I know it will come soon . . . better. ;)

corky441
10-30-2008, 02:54 PM
:confused3 that's a no for me also. Haven't received my first issue yet either. i was expecting it before the end of this month .... so I guess that gives Lou Mongello one more day to make good on his promise :scared:

DisneyWorld Delight
11-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Received my issue today. Looks very nice. Haven't read anything yet.

SamIAm21
11-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Oh good! I hope I get my issue soon too!

Wahoo!

OnePrincess
11-04-2008, 01:07 PM
I can't wait to get mine.

BriarRosie
11-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Still waiting for my issue to arrive.

I don't have issues...I have subscriptions.

:duck:

:dance3:

FireDancer
11-06-2008, 09:08 AM
I got my magazine yesterday. I paged through it and read the first few articles. The look is really nice and it is nice to have something to hold in your hand that reminds you of the Disney experience.

The one thing I have noticed that will probably be relevant for anyone who listens to Disney podcasts or follows the Disney community as obsessively closely as we do. Many of the articles are not really new information as much as different takes on the stuff we learn online or in the podcasts. It isnít a criticism, just an observation.

wdwscout
11-06-2008, 02:33 PM
I just got my copy yesterday. I have not had time to read anything yet- maybe this weekend.
Nice professional look, good feel to the pages.

I will agree- there's probably no earth shattering "news" in there- as I listen to several excellent podcasts (including the DIS Unplugged and WDW Radio) and get my Disney news there. And here, of course! ;)

But it sure is nice to have a real magazine in my hands!
Nice job. :thumbsup2

harra
11-06-2008, 02:34 PM
I got my magazine yesterday. I paged through it and read the first few articles. The look is really nice and it is nice to have something to hold in your hand that reminds you of the Disney experience.

The one thing I have noticed that will probably be relevant for anyone who listens to Disney podcasts or follows the Disney community as obsessively closely as we do. Many of the articles are not really new information as much as different takes on the stuff we learn online or in the podcasts. It isn’t a criticism, just an observation.

I hear your observation, but even the "official" information we get from Disney themselves (i.e. Disney Insider E-Mail Newsletter) is typically nothing new to those fanatic disney lovers. Heck, I was even disappointed with the Keys to the Kingdom tour because nothing seemed to be new. The saving grace was going backstage.

I'm sure, eventually, this magazine will be marketed to people who have never heard of the DIS Boards or any of the myriad of websites, forums, or podcasts out there. It'll all be new to them ;)

EDITED TO ADD:

I'm biased because I wrote and article for the magazine, but I think one of the great things about the magazine is the individual perspective brought to the news by the person writing the article. Plus, there are the articles from people like Tim Devine, Cara Goldbury, Steve Barrett, etc. which contain information like what you'd might get out of them if they were a guest on someone's podcast

CynthiaC925
11-06-2008, 02:36 PM
I have been subscribing to the new Orlando Attractions magazine for several months (distantcreations.com) - it is really terrific. From the Inside the Magic podcast:thumbsup2

FireDancer
11-06-2008, 03:29 PM
I hear your observation, but even the "official" information we get from Disney themselves (i.e. Disney Insider E-Mail Newsletter) is typically nothing new to those fanatic disney lovers.

I agree. I didn't mean it as a criticism, just an observation.

harra
11-06-2008, 03:42 PM
I agree. I didn't mean it as a criticism, just an observation.

I didn't take it as a criticism either.

katscradle
11-07-2008, 08:16 PM
How much for 1 year?
Also how many articles do you get per year?

harra
11-07-2008, 08:23 PM
How much for 1 year?
Also how many articles do you get per year?

Not sure what you are asking? Are you asking how much a 1 year subscription costs? If so, it is: $29.99 for 6 issues (every other month).

I don't think there is any set # of articles for each magazine. The first issue was 80 pages

katscradle
11-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Disregard the question?
New on the computer.
Found the link and went into it.
I have ordered it as well as the first issue.
It's more for Canadian residents $35.99 USD
First issue $8.49 USD
But I think it will be worth it.:yay:

andrewilley
11-08-2008, 08:08 AM
I don't think there is any set # of articles for each magazine. The first issue was 80 pages

Grin, if Lou's got anything to do with it it'll probably be much longer than the average magazine... but not quite as tall. :) (sorry Lou, couldn't resist)

Still waiting for mine to arrive here in the UK - probably be next year knowing the postal service!

However I think everyone is right in saying that you can't look to printed materials to provide up-to-date news information any more. Even the daily newspapers are out of date by the time they hit the newsstands, let alone a bi-monthly magazine. Broadband bytes are always going to be quicker in today's world. "Extra! Extra! You've Read All About It!".

But I think magazines do still have a role to play in much the same way that books do; there's something warm and reassuring about sitting down and reading words laid out in columns with no scrollbars from actual paper, and looking at lovely glossy photos that aren't just pixels on a screen. I for one am really looking forward to receiving my copy.

Andre

vellamint
11-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Still anxiously awaiting my copy!! Anyone else get theirs?

MM32830
11-10-2008, 09:53 PM
Still anxiously awaiting my copy!! Anyone else get theirs?

Got mine last week.

cdnmickeylover
11-11-2008, 07:13 AM
Still waiting here.

Yvet
11-11-2008, 08:13 AM
Got mine today (the Netherlands)

It looks great but there is on e big miner thing and that is that they send them out just the magazine, not in a envelope.
So mine arrived all broken and tear up. The first pages and last pages are almost not readable anymore

Send them an email and hope that the next time they use a envelope.

andrewilley
11-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Got mine today (the Netherlands)

It looks great but there is on e big miner thing and that is that they send them out just the magazine, not in a envelope.
So mine arrived all broken and tear up. The first pages and last pages are almost not readable anymore

Send them an email and hope that the next time they use a envelope.

I just came on here to post the same message! My copy arrived today too (to the UK) with the front cover badly torn and the inside hanging out. Not even a sender's envelope or a bag around it (it had been put into a plastic bag by the UK post office, with an apology note). The original address label, plus a ton of stamps, were stuck onto the front cover itself. Not really what I expected. I wonder if there was some problem with the international shippers, as no one from the US has commented on having the magazine arrive in this sorry state.

Andre

Allison
11-11-2008, 03:24 PM
I love the first issue. There are a lot of very interesting articles.

Yvet
11-13-2008, 09:24 AM
I have sent an email about the magazine arriving all messed up and this is the great answer i got.

Hi Yvette!
I'm sorry, I thought I had replied to you, my mistake!
The good news is that we will be polybagging all future issues, so that
will protect them and also keep the covers free from all those nasty stamps
and stickers (it turns out the mailhouse messed that up, that wasn't
supposed to happen!).
As far as your first issue goes, I would be more than happy to send you a
new copy (in an envelope of course!!) Could you do me a huge favor and
forward your address to me again? I'll get it right out to you and you
should have it in a week or so...
I do apologize for the inconvenience, but rest assured I was just as
disappointed with the mailhouse as you were (we worked hard on that
cover!!), and am taking steps to ensure that your future issues arrive in
wonderful shape.
Thanks!
Tim

vellamint
11-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Still waiting for mine :( Has everyone gotten theirs? I dont know how long to wait to contact them.

cdnmickeylover
11-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Finally got ours yesterday. It looks great although I haven't read it all yet.

Fiona

SamIAm21
11-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Still waiting for mine :( Has everyone gotten theirs? I dont know how long to wait to contact them.

Just got mine last night, so don't give up hope!

katscradle
11-13-2008, 01:03 PM
I just came on here to post the same message! My copy arrived today too (to the UK) with the front cover badly torn and the inside hanging out. Not even a sender's envelope or a bag around it (it had been put into a plastic bag by the UK post office, with an apology note). The original address label, plus a ton of stamps, were stuck onto the front cover itself. Not really what I expected. I wonder if there was some problem with the international shippers, as no one from the US has commented on having the magazine arrive in this sorry state.

Andre

Gee I'm in Canada hope mine dosn't arrive in that shape.
I have been really looking forward to getting this.
Sorry for your loss.
You would think they would put them in plastic or something.

Yvet
11-14-2008, 09:02 AM
Gee I'm in Canada hope mine dosn't arrive in that shape.
I have been really looking forward to getting this.
Sorry for your loss.
You would think they would put them in plastic or something.

See my post #48.

vellamint
11-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Still anxiously awaiting my first issue....I emailed them tonight.