PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Knight

ericafny
07-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Just saw it last nite. Did anyone else see it? I thought it was very freaky.

MenashaCorp
07-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Just saw it last nite. Did anyone else see it? I thought it was very freaky.

I liked it. Seemed a tad overlong, but I think I'll like it more on repeat viewing.

ericafny
07-20-2008, 03:27 PM
I definitly liked it..forgot to mention that in my original post. Yes I agree it was a little too long, possibly trying to squeeze a lot into one movie?!? But I thought Heath Ledger completely 'stole the show'

JCandKT
07-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Loved It!

NHmomof2boys
07-20-2008, 05:56 PM
DH & I saw it last night and loved it!!!! Heath Ledger was phenomenal as the Joker!

thepwa
07-20-2008, 06:01 PM
I wish it had been 3 1/2 hours! Brilliant.

wildeoscar
07-20-2008, 06:37 PM
yeah, Joker was excellent, really really evil... kinda like the execs that are closing AC

Disney MAINEiac
07-20-2008, 06:49 PM
saw it, not usually a big fan of the BM series,but my sons were excited to go. Glad I went, really liked this one. I thought the reports of Heath Ledger's performance were probably hype to help sell tickets, but he was awesome, sorry Jack but the joker belongs to heath now. did not think it was too long either.

ericafny
07-20-2008, 06:56 PM
sorry Jack but the joker belongs to heath now.

DBF and I were saying the same thing after we saw Heath's performance!

tinkbutt
07-20-2008, 06:59 PM
loved it!!! hope he gets an Oscar!!!! Heath was Awesome!!!

drakethib
07-20-2008, 09:08 PM
I can't wait to go see it.

My wife is giving me a bunch of static over it because I wouldn't go see Sex and the City.

christa112
07-21-2008, 07:52 AM
I thought it was really good too, and Heath was great but the villians in Batman IMO always steal the show.

ericafny
07-21-2008, 09:10 AM
I can't wait to go see it.

My wife is giving me a bunch of static over it because I wouldn't go see Sex and the City.

Has she seen Christian Bale?!?

ShesAPirate
07-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Absolutely amazing! I've seen it twice already! Heath Ledger... there just aren't any words for how incredible he was. When you have a cast that includes Christian Bale and Gary Oldman and a host of other wildly talented actors (who all give phenomenal performances), and you can still steal the show? That is Oscar-worthy, and hopefully those Academy people will realize it!

I can't wait to see it again!!! :cool1:

Jacklynn
07-21-2008, 01:21 PM
I saw it with my husband and parents. I hated it. Again I didn't expect to like it. I'm more of a P.S. I love you and The Break Up kinda girl. Although I do love the Spiderman movies (at least the 1st 2, didn't see the 3rd). The Dark knight was just not my kind of movie.

zulemara
07-21-2008, 01:58 PM
I saw it with a bunch of friends at 12:01am on Friday morning and absolutely loved it! I loved batman begins as well, so I was really really excited for this one. I wouldn't say it was too long, just that there are a LOT of climaxes where you kinda think the movie is gonna end and they surprise you with a new twist. I like that though. If there's anything I hate it's when I can see something coming and there wasn't much of that throughout the movie. Absolutely fantastic and I can't wait for another! Bring on the Riddler!

alebisi
07-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Absolutely amazing! I've seen it twice already! Heath Ledger... there just aren't any words for how incredible he was. When you have a cast that includes Christian Bale and Gary Oldman and a host of other wildly talented actors (who all give phenomenal performances), and you can still steal the show? That is Oscar-worthy, and hopefully those Academy people will realize it!

I can't wait to see it again!!! :cool1:

Can they give an Osacar award even if the actor is dead? the movie hits Italy the 29th I can't wait! I love Heath Ledger!

ShesAPirate
07-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Can they give an Osacar award even if the actor is dead?

It's only happened once so far, but yes, they can award posthumus Oscars. And I fully believe this is a situation where it's warranted. :thumbsup2

oybolshoi
07-21-2008, 10:23 PM
The hubby and I saw it this weekend and thought it was really good. It was very well written and Ledger's performance was wacked-out amazing!

And neither one of us are big comic book / superhero movie fans, but this one looked so good we had to give it a try.

I would strongly caution people with children not to take any kids under 12 ... maybe even 14 depending on the child's ability to deal with dark, disturbing material. I don't usually quibble over movie ratings but I think this one probably deserved an "R".

UrsulasShadow
07-21-2008, 10:57 PM
I so cannot wait to see it!

MenashaCorp
07-21-2008, 11:06 PM
The best part? Heath Ledger's rendition (as the Joker) of "Take a Chance on Me." Heck of a dance number, too!! :crazy:

DrZoidberg
07-22-2008, 04:25 AM
I'll make this pencil disappear!

UrsulasShadow
07-22-2008, 08:01 AM
The best part? Heath Ledger's rendition (as the Joker) of "Take a Chance on Me." Heck of a dance number, too!! :crazy:

Geez, J-Kim, I never took you for an ABBA sort of guy...:goodvibes

calypso*a*go-go
07-22-2008, 10:09 AM
DD and her friends all loved it. DH and DS are going to see it today. I'm going to pass on this one as all the Batman movies are just too dark for me (as in lack of light -- not content)...it's just difficult for me to "see" it.

ericafny
07-22-2008, 12:57 PM
I would strongly caution people with children not to take any kids under 12 ... maybe even 14 depending on the child's ability to deal with dark, disturbing material. I don't usually quibble over movie ratings but I think this one probably deserved an "R".

There has been a big uproar about the rating the MPAA gave the movie. I agree that it is quite disturbing and that children under 14 should really not see it. DBF is a movie buff and he said the rating is based on 3 things: language, sexual content, and violence. Even though there was violence in the movie, there wasn't a lot of gore, so I guess they figured the PG-13 rating was OK. I'm 29 and I was disturbed by some scenes...don't know how a 10 year old would deal :confused3

tinkbutt
07-22-2008, 10:48 PM

ok refresh my drink because I just saw this movie and don't remember Heath dancin:confused3 wow only 22 and the memory is gone ....not too promising for the future:scared:

angelmav
07-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Though it was the best 'Batman' movie ever, hands down, not even close! Heath Ledger 'made' the movie, of course I wouldnt let anyone under 10 see it and I saw lots of little kids.

This aint a comic book movie. Good bordering on Great, but this one is pretty dark and disturbing.

disneyholic family
07-23-2008, 03:48 AM
we're going to see it thursday night....can't wait..
i loved batman begins, so i'm sure i'll love this one as well...

disneyholic family
07-23-2008, 11:26 AM
ok....so maybe we won't be seeing it thursday night..
i just went online to try to buy tickets....
the theater near us where it's showing has it in several theatres...so there are about 10 showings tomorrow night and all but one are sold out (the 1 am thursday show still has a few seats)..

geez....

PDJPrinceCharming
07-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Amazing film! One of the very best of the year by far & will set the bar for action, crime & super hero flicks for years to come. This was the best Joker performance as it relates to the comics. Heath did an incredibly creepy & evil portrayal of the Clown Prince of Crime & it will definately be rewarded come Oscar time. Aaron Eckhart's Harvey Dent/Two-Face was memorable as he was dead on with all of his delivery. Great performances by Bale, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman & even Maggie did a good job with her character as well. Yesterday was the 3rd time i've seen the movie & it gets better on every single viewing. I work at a theater here & got to watch it on the Thursday & it did not disappoint & extremely exceeded my expectations. Go & see it & believe the hype, it's the real deal.

MerriePoppins
07-23-2008, 09:22 PM
I'll make this pencil disappear!

How cool was that?!

alebisi
07-23-2008, 09:41 PM
have you seen the news?!?!?! Christian Bale (batman) happens to be a hitter, he assaulted his mother and his sister, innocent or guilty?
Note: Please it's just a comment! I think I'm not insulting anyone, so please don't take it seroiusly... it's just gossip :)

PEANUT1
07-23-2008, 09:44 PM
we LOVED it!!

Joker was the scariest villain ever..I could have had nightmares.

PEANUT1
07-23-2008, 09:45 PM
have you seen the news?!?!?! Christian Bale (batman) happens to be a hitter, he assaulted his mother and his sister, how sad it is that a good actor seems to be such a bad person:sad2:

innocent until proven guilty;)

alebisi
07-23-2008, 09:51 PM
we LOVED it!!

Joker was the scariest villain ever..I could have had nightmares.

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the Joker, I love Heath Ledger

FairyDust2008
07-23-2008, 09:55 PM
have you seen the news?!?!?! Christian Bale (batman) happens to be a hitter, he assaulted his mother and his sister, how sad it is that a good actor seems to be such a bad person:sad2:

There is no proof of what happened. I don't think you can automatically say he hit his mom and sister based upon what they said happened. To label him a bad person and the whole story not being out is a bit harsh:eek:

alebisi
07-23-2008, 10:13 PM
There is no proof of what happened. I don't think you can automatically say he hit his mom and sister based upon what they said happened. To label him a bad person and the whole story not being out is a bit harsh:eek:

I think you are taking it too seriously... it was just a comment...

Disney MAINEiac
07-24-2008, 10:54 AM
There has been a big uproar about the rating the MPAA gave the movie. I agree that it is quite disturbing and that children under 14 should really not see it. DBF is a movie buff and he said the rating is based on 3 things: language, sexual content, and violence. Even though there was violence in the movie, there wasn't a lot of gore, so I guess they figured the PG-13 rating was OK. I'm 29 and I was disturbed by some scenes...don't know how a 10 year old would deal :confused3

I took my 10 & 14 yo and no trouble. they loved it. I think you need to use your own judgement and know your own child and how they react to this type of movie. Really there wasn't gore just fast packed action, IMHO

WaltD4Me
07-24-2008, 10:59 AM

I think this story is so weird. His mother and sister filed an assault claim? I just can't imagine. And apparently they didn't file the complaint until the next day? You'd think if it was bad enough to file an assault complaint, police would have been called at the time of the incident. :confused3

ericafny
07-24-2008, 01:51 PM
I took my 10 & 14 yo and no trouble. they loved it. I think you need to use your own judgement and know your own child and how they react to this type of movie. Really there wasn't gore just fast packed action, IMHO

I hear ya, I guess its best to know what your child can handle. I'm glad they enjoyed it! I think we are gonna go see it again we liked it so much :thumbsup2

soupy11
07-25-2008, 11:23 AM
I think this story is so weird. His mother and sister filed an assault claim? I just can't imagine. And apparently they didn't file the complaint until the next day? You'd think if it was bad enough to file an assault complaint, police would have been called at the time of the incident. :confused3

Assault in the UK can and does include verbal assault. No one is stating that physical abuse occurred, and in fact it looks like he cursed out his mom for attacking his wife.

WaltD4Me
07-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Assault in the UK can and does include verbal assault. No one is stating that physical abuse occurred, and in fact it looks like he cursed out his mom for attacking his wife.

Okay, even stranger...I just assumed if his own mother was filing assault charges against him there must have been physical abuse involved.

soupy11
07-25-2008, 11:55 AM
Okay, even stranger...I just assumed if his own mother was filing assault charges against him there must have been physical abuse involved.

It is strange...we have the same laws here in Canada but I can't remember the last time I have heard of someone being charged for verbal assault. I wonder if he used the unspeakable word that you never use to refer to a lady? :rotfl2: That one brings some attention for sure!

simonkodousek
07-25-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm seeing the movie tonight... :thumbsup2

I can't wait!!

soupy11
07-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Went and saw it with my two nephews for my second viewing. They both loved it. Ages 12 and 10.

Some highlights....*very mild spoilers*

Nurse Joker. LOL!

"We burned the forest down!" Alfred

Skyhook! Soooo sweet.

"Want to know how I got these scars?" Chilling stuff. I really like the fact that they kept the Joker's origin a mystery. Really elevated him to Hannibal Lecter supervillian level.

Just a fantastic flick that is going to make some huge money. We went on a Wednesday night and it was packed. Sold out.

disneyholic family
07-25-2008, 12:41 PM
i managed to get tickets for tomorrow night....the 11 pm showing :eek: ..(everything else was sold out)...
hopefully i'll be awake through the whole thing...

ericafny
07-25-2008, 02:23 PM
hopefully i'll be awake through the whole thing...

You will DEFINITLY be awake ;)

zulemara
07-26-2008, 01:56 AM
saw the dark knight for a second time. This time we went to a matinee to ease up on the pocketbook, but it was just as good as the first time, if not better. I was able to fill in a couple questions I had about the plot and this time we got through the ending without the projector cutting out.

I don't know if I've ever declared a favorite movie of all time. There are so many different genres and everything but...this one might take the cake. I'll end up seeing this a third time at the budget theater I'm sure.

alebisi
07-26-2008, 04:22 AM
There are so many different genres and everything but...this one might take the cake. .

did anyone said Cake????.:rolleyes: , anyways can¿t wait to see it... I have to wait 3 more days...

disneyholic family
07-26-2008, 05:46 AM
did anyone said Cake????.:rolleyes: , anyways can¿t wait to see it... I have to wait 3 more days...

i'll be eating cake tonight....i'm seeing it in the VIP theatre (only one i could get tickets for)....they serve lots of cake and gourmet food before the movie...all you can eat in 45 minutes....and then all the popcorn, ice cream, snacks and drinks you want during the movie....but i only load up on popcorn and water, since it's in a bottle - i hate having drink cups in the theatre - even though they have a nice cocktail table by each leather reclining lounge chair....yeah....i'll probably be asleep....though i slept late this morning...only got up at 11...so that should help.....maybe i'll nap in the afternoon.....

MenashaCorp
07-26-2008, 08:56 AM
i'll be eating cake tonight....i'm seeing it in the VIP theatre (only one i could get tickets for)....they serve lots of cake and gourmet food before the movie...all you can eat in 45 minutes....and then all the popcorn, ice cream, snacks and drinks you want during the movie....but i only load up on popcorn and water, since it's in a bottle - i hate having drink cups in the theatre - even though they have a nice cocktail table by each leather reclining lounge chair....yeah....i'll probably be asleep....though i slept late this morning...only got up at 11...so that should help.....maybe i'll nap in the afternoon.....

Um.....can we come?!? :teeth: Under those conditions, I might even see Mamma Mia! :scared1:

tinkbutt
07-26-2008, 09:52 AM

where are these theaters and why don't we have one!!!!!

disneyholic family
07-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Um.....can we come?!? :teeth: Under those conditions, I might even see Mamma Mia! :scared1:

:lmao:

where are these theaters and why don't we have one!!!!!

in israel, but i assume they must exist elsewhere as well...
i'm sure they brought the idea here from somewhere...
they have several of them around the country - in the multiplex type places...
they took a few of the regular theaters and converted them into these super comfortable chairs....
big fat leather reclining lounger chairs (automated - like on an airplane - legs up up, back goes back....but big huge chairs)...
and there are only 4 rows....and with lots and lots of room between rows so that even if someone is fully reclined, you can walk between them and the row in front....(and each row is on a different level with a separator bar- so you're never near someone's head)....
oh and a little cocktail type table in front of the chairs, between where you legs are extended...
i'm not doing a very good job of explaining...
but there are only about 25 seats in the theater....

and they have their own lobby area with tables and chairs and a buffet (there are about 5 people staffing the place)..

there's a food buffet, a desert buffet, fancy snacks (various nuts, chips, etc), various kinds of ice cream, various kinds of beer, wine, champagne,
and of course soft drinks, juices...
fancy coffee (someone prepares your coffee - like cappucino or whatever)..

also those big pretzls that they heat up for you, and of course as much popcorn as you want..

and when the movies over, there's someone at the exit of the theater handing out gourmet chocolate for the road (e.g, max brenner, etc.)....last thursday when DH and i were at sex and the city, in addition to the gourmet chocolates they had mini-snickers bars on the tray - mmmm....love my snickers...

it actually doesn't cost all that much when you take into consideration the food...
i don't eat much, but even for me it probably isn't a bad deal...
i have coffee, diet coke, watermelon, several rounds of popcorn and a bottle of water..

the all-inclusive ticket costs $25 for the VIP theater.....
a regular ticket for the regular theater, to sit in a lousy seat with no food costs $11....
and a tub of popcorn and a coke costs $13...so just for the seat and popcorn/coke costs $24 in the regular theater.....that's a no brainer....
and it's so nice to be in a theater with only 25 people and in super comfortable chairs...maybe i can find a picture of it somewhere....

ericafny
07-26-2008, 10:40 AM

I think we have some like that in the city (NYC)...I also know of one in LA (of course tinsel town would have one of those!) :rotfl:

simonkodousek
07-26-2008, 12:34 PM
I saw The Dark Night last night... wow. Definitely the best movie of the year! Heath Ledger was absolutely fabulous as the Joker, and funny in a sinister way. I'll be seeing it again soon! :thumbsup2

tinkbutt
07-26-2008, 02:03 PM
:lmao:

i'm sure they brought the idea here from somewhere...
they have several of them around the country - in the multiplex type places...
they took a few of the regular theaters and converted them into these super comfortable chairs....
big fat leather reclining lounger chairs (automated - like on an airplane - legs up up, back goes back....but big huge chairs)...
and there are only 4 rows....and with lots and lots of room between rows so that even if someone is fully reclined, you can walk between them and the row in front....(and each row is on a different level with a separator bar- so you're never near someone's head)....
oh and a little cocktail type table in front of the chairs, between where you legs are extended...
i'm not doing a very good job of explaining...
but there are only about 25 seats in the theater....

and they have their own lobby area with tables and chairs and a buffet (there are about 5 people staffing the place)..

there's a food buffet, a desert buffet, fancy snacks (various nuts, chips, etc), various kinds of ice cream, various kinds of beer, wine, champagne,
and of course soft drinks, juices...
fancy coffee (someone prepares your coffee - like cappucino or whatever)..

also those big pretzls that they heat up for you, and of course as much popcorn as you want..

and when the movies over, there's someone at the exit of the theater handing out gourmet chocolate for the road (e.g, max brenner, etc.)....last thursday when DH and i were at sex and the city, in addition to the gourmet chocolates they had mini-snickers bars on the tray - mmmm....love my snickers...

it actually doesn't cost all that much when you take into consideration the food...
i don't eat much, but even for me it probably isn't a bad deal...
i have coffee, diet coke, watermelon, several rounds of popcorn and a bottle of water..

the all-inclusive ticket costs $25 for the VIP theater.....
a regular ticket for the regular theater, to sit in a lousy seat with no food costs $11....
and a tub of popcorn and a coke costs $13...so just for the seat and popcorn/coke costs $24 in the regular theater.....that's a no brainer....
and it's so nice to be in a theater with only 25 people and in super comfortable chairs...maybe i can find a picture of it somewhere....

wish we had them here sounds awesome!!!

pilgrimr
07-26-2008, 07:03 PM
We just got back from watching it and really enjoyed it. I actually did not know if I wanted to see it. I like Batman Begins and the comic books, but with all of the hype I was not to excited about seeing it. It was worth seeing it. Problably the best movie this year. Heath Ledger actually scared me. When he talked you knew something bad was going to happen. It was violent, but I realized at the end there was no gore. I also thought it was interesting, at my showing (matinee) there were hardly any children. There mainly adults and it was also packed. Really worth the money to see it.

disneyholic family
07-26-2008, 07:09 PM
oh my god - that was a really good movie...
heath ledger totally creeped me out...
it's 2:15 in the morning (the movie finished at 2 am) and i don't think i'll be heading to bed for a while...i'm way too wired to sleep....
i don't usually see movies as violent as that one..

ericafny
07-26-2008, 08:47 PM
oh my god - that was a really good movie...
heath ledger totally creeped me out...
it's 2:15 in the morning (the movie finished at 2 am) and i don't think i'll be heading to bed for a while...i'm way too wired to sleep....
i don't usually see movies as violent as that one..

Glad you liked it! And you were able to stay up for it...lol. He creeped me out too when we saw it. Our movie let out at 1am and I couldn't sleep well that nite...kept having creepy images in my head. We will prob see it again though, I really liked it :thumbsup2

disneyholic family
07-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Glad you liked it! And you were able to stay up for it...lol. He creeped me out too when we saw it. Our movie let out at 1am and I couldn't sleep well that nite...kept having creepy images in my head. We will prob see it again though, I really liked it :thumbsup2

we're going to see it again too..
DD was working last night, so we're all going to go again to see it with her and her BF...

this time i'll be able to open my eyes more...i was afraid to watch part of the time....(i'm sure you can figure out when)...

tinkbutt
07-27-2008, 10:16 AM
I saw The Dark Night last night... wow. Definitely the best movie of the year! Heath Ledger was absolutely fabulous as the Joker, and funny in a sinister way. I'll be seeing it again soon! :thumbsup2

I would agree with that best movie....... until november 21st Harry potter will take it (for me at least)

ericafny
07-27-2008, 05:24 PM
I would agree with that best movie....... until november 21st Harry potter will take it (for me at least)

AMEN!:yay: