PDA

View Full Version : Swiss doomsday machine in August?

happy2go2wdwmom
07-19-2008, 12:08 AM
anyone else concerned about this???

disneycruise05
07-19-2008, 01:17 AM
Ummm....I'm assuming you're talking about the Large Hadron Collider being built at CERN?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider
http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/Welcome.html

I'm not at all concerned about it.

wildeoscar
07-19-2008, 04:12 AM
why be concerned about that when wile e. cyote has been working on the same project for years.

UrsulasShadow
07-19-2008, 07:03 AM
It's really funny how so much foolishness has arisen out of ignorance. The kind of "black hole" that might occur within the LHC is the sort that would wink out of existence the moment it's created, IF it can even be created. Drawing from research performed to assess the safety of the RHIC collisions, the LHC Safety Study Group, a group of independent scientists, performed a safety analysis of the LHC and concluded in a report published in 2003 that there is "no basis for any conceivable threat".[1] One argument raised against such fears was that collisions at energies equivalent to and higher than those of the LHC have been happening in nature for billions of years apparently without hazardous effects, as ultra-high-energy cosmic rays impact Earth's atmosphere and other bodies in the universe.[1 The benefits of extended scientific knowledge far outweigh any miniscule possibility of risk.

Launchpad11B
07-19-2008, 07:24 AM
Just looking at the name of this thread, before I read the posts, I thought they were going to tear down the Swiss Family Tree House in MK!:lmao: I wish I could tell you I was kidding, but I saw the thread and said "OH NO, that's a classic attraction!" I guess I should stay more up on current events!:lmao: :thumbsup2

happy2go2wdwmom
07-19-2008, 08:45 AM
I think the BIG fallout will be what happens if it's successful and proves what it's set out to find.

UrsulasShadow
07-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Which is to find a Higgs Boson, and fill in that gap of physics that lacks an explanation of mass? Because that's what it's really designed to find...the Higgs boson. Is that what you mean?

MenashaCorp
07-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Which is to find a Higgs Boson, and fill in that gap of physics that lacks an explanation of mass? Because that's what it's really designed to find...the Higgs boson. Is that what you mean?

Are you sure this isn't some publicity stunt for the next Bond movie, "Quantum of Solace?"

Smart people are Fer-MI!!!! :)

UrsulasShadow
07-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Are you sure this isn't some publicity stunt for the next Bond movie, "Quantum of Solace?"

Smart people are Fer-MI!!!! :)

:laughing: :hug:

Disneybridein2k3
07-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Just looking at the name of this thread, before I read the posts, I thought they were going to tear down the Swiss Family Tree House in MK!:lmao: I wish I could tell you I was kidding, but I saw the thread and said "OH NO, that's a classic attraction!" I guess I should stay more up on current events!:lmao: :thumbsup2
Paul - you aren't alone on this one. :goodvibes

happy2go2wdwmom
07-19-2008, 12:04 PM

That particle, and seeing other invisible dark matter, and proving there are more dimensions and the string theory....

<beep, beep>

UrsulasShadow
07-19-2008, 12:09 PM
They are hoping that discovering this particle will lead to many, many answers, and many, many new discoveries, but it is really the Higgs boson that they are trying to prove. The discovery, or lack thereof, will either prove existing theories, or help develop new ones. It's really very exciting!

happy2go2wdwmom
07-19-2008, 12:50 PM
I have a hunch they'll find more than our current 3 dimensions and this is really neat. I just wish it would get more press.

UrsulasShadow
07-19-2008, 12:57 PM
I have a hunch they'll find more than our current 3 dimensions and this is really neat. I just wish it would get more press.

I doubt that the dimensions would, even if discovered scientifically and proven mathematically, ever be perceivable to the general population....but o! so neat!

Unfortunately, the press this is getting is with the sensationalized media, feeding non-scientific nonsense to the woo-loving, ghost-seeking public (re: "doomsday machine" in your post title). I just wish the press had more science editors on staff.

wildeoscar
07-19-2008, 01:52 PM
beep

pdarrah
07-19-2008, 06:17 PM
I live near the Fermilab accelerator and there were similar silly "the world will end" stories back when it was built and again when it was upgraded in the 80's. Guess what? We're all still here and the only result from these machines was an increase in our understanding of our universe.

pdarrah

drakethib
07-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Ok folks, I need some help here.

I did not major in physics nor math in college ( in fact I have to get naked to count to 21) so can someone explain to me what the hell this thing is and/or is supposed to do?

cocowum
07-19-2008, 09:12 PM

I did not major in physics nor math in college ( in fact I have to get naked to count to 21) so can someone explain to me what the hell this thing is and/or is supposed to do?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

happy2go2wdwmom
07-19-2008, 11:14 PM

Drake, that's hilarious!

<beep, bleep>

disneycruise05
07-20-2008, 01:38 AM

LOL! :lmao: :rotfl2: Oh my....

Ok...so I tried to write and an explanation on what this is and what it does. It didn't turn out well. Actually....it was just horrible. I couldn't even understand what I had written. I would take a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_accelerator

JCandKT
07-20-2008, 06:15 AM
oh...it's too early for this smart stuff. my stomach is starting to hurt.

Launchpad11B
07-20-2008, 06:48 AM

:rotfl2: Good one drake! :rotfl2:

MenashaCorp
07-20-2008, 09:47 AM

We soooo need a "spit take" smiley on these boards! :lmao:

What this machine is designed to do is to create the one missing piece of the puzzle in our current theory of how matter and energy interact. Oversimplification, but I think accurate.

What will this allow? Time will tell, but I'd bet stroller prices won't come down. :laughing:

drakethib
07-20-2008, 10:42 AM

What this machine is designed to do is to create the one missing piece of the puzzle in our current theory of how matter and energy interact. Oversimplification, but I think accurate.

What will this allow? Time will tell, but I'd bet stroller prices won't come down. :laughing:

Thanks for the info.

As long as it doesn't send out any rays,signals or beams that will hit me and make me only be able to count to 20 while naked, I feel safe and don't see what the issue is.

MenashaCorp
07-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the info.

As long as it doesn't send out any rays,signals or beams that will hit me and make me only be able to count to 20 while naked, I feel safe and don't see what the issue is.

FYI - you made my Gf spit orange juice through her nose with the "naked to count to 21" thing. She has to be naked to count to 22... :lmao:

*NikkiBell*
07-20-2008, 10:58 AM
I haven't heard anything??

UrsulasShadow
07-20-2008, 11:55 AM

LOL! That's a great way of putting it, Jason/Kim!