PDA

View Full Version : Mamma Mia

DisneyKevin
07-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Just saw Mamma Mia and it was FUN and fantastic.

Great summer movie.

There were young kids (8 - 10) in the theater dancing in the front row.

Truly a good time.

Disneybridein2k3
07-18-2008, 09:38 PM
So better than Wall E, huh? ;)

*NikkiBell*
07-18-2008, 09:43 PM
I was actually wondering how it turned out. I think we are going to see Batman tomorrow (bf's pick, I am slightly interested lol). Mama is so next!

WLfan
07-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Kevin - Have you seen the play?

KarlaG4Kids
07-18-2008, 10:04 PM
I saw the play and it was FANTASTIC. I really want to see the movie also. The music is so much fun and upbeat! I'm so happy to hear the movie was worth going to.

kgibbler20
07-18-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm glad it was good. Apparently there is a short run of the play coming into Cleveland so I'm hoping to get there and see the movie. I love musicals!

soupy11
07-18-2008, 10:23 PM
we just got back from Dark Knight....we were lined up waiting to get in and watched people walk into Mama Mia...Some of the poor guys were dragging their feet and looking forlornly at us cool kids in the DK line! J/K!!;) I felt bad!
Dark Knight was unbelievably cool!!!!! That and Wall-E are the best of the year so far!!!

Will check out MM as I saw the play and enjoyed it, plus Meryl Streep equals awesome!

CCM MusicEd
07-18-2008, 10:32 PM
I totally agree! We just got home from the movie. Meryl Streep was fantastic as usual and Amanda Seyfried was a pleasant vocal surprise for me.

disneycruise05
07-18-2008, 10:34 PM
Ugh....I was supposed to see Mamma Mia today! My roommate decided that she didn't want to brave the crowds for The Dark Knight...*sigh*. So I know have to wait until Wednesday.

I did read a review on CNN (an Entertainment Weekly review) that bashed Mamma Mia. Wasn't to excited to see that. Then again, practically any movie they bash I usually love. However...if Kevin likes it...I'll have to check it out!

I'll even overlook the fact that he didn't like WALL·E...

simonkodousek
07-18-2008, 10:46 PM
I can't wait to see Mamma Mia. I'll probably see it next Friday. :)

UrsulasShadow
07-18-2008, 10:59 PM
I'll go see Dark Knight first. Then I'll see Journey to the Center of the Earth, then Hellboy, then the Incredible Hulk, then Hancock, then even Baby Mama, before I go see Mamma Mia.

Have I ever said how much I detest Abba?

DisneyKevin
07-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Ugh....I was supposed to see Mamma Mia today! My roommate decided that she didn't want to brave the crowds for The Dark Knight...*sigh*. So I know have to wait until Wednesday.

I did read a review on CNN (an Entertainment Weekly review) that bashed Mamma Mia. Wasn't to excited to see that. Then again, practically any movie they bash I usually love. However...if Kevin likes it...I'll have to check it out!

I'll even overlook the fact that he didn't like WALL·E...

I read the same CNN review and though "oh no....what have they done" and then went and saw the movie.

I dont think the gentleman that reviewed the movie understood it at all. It was just supposed to be fun and I dont think he got it at all.

There were people clapping and singing along in the theater. In most movies I would find that truly annoying, but in this movie it almost seems natural.

It's bright and funny and as John described it....it felt like a mini vacation.

John and I took my Mom and Dad and all four of us loved it.

Go see it.

Even you Mindy.....or I will follow you around that cruise ship singing Waterloo for four days.

WebmasterJohn
07-18-2008, 11:21 PM
Go see it.

Even you Mindy.....or I will follow you around that cruise ship singing Waterloo for four days.

...she couldn't escape if she wanted to.....

WaltD4Me
07-18-2008, 11:23 PM
I can't wait to see Mama Mia, with any luck I'll be able to go Sunday. I think it looks like so much fun and I love movies like that.

As for the Dark Night...I don't know, the commercials creep me out, I just don't know if I am going to be able to sit through this movie.

And when did Kevin comment on Wall-E? Did I miss a review or blog somehow?

SamSam
07-18-2008, 11:31 PM
I can't wait to see Mama Mia....love Meryl Streep! It looks like a wonderfully fun movie.

DisneyKevin
07-18-2008, 11:31 PM
And when did Kevin comment on Wall-E? Did I miss a review or blog somehow?

It was during chat and I said that I thought it was a 10 minute idea strung out over 2 hours.

I found it a bit tedious.

I've come to realize that I am not a big fan of Pixar movies. I find them
technically amazing, but they leave me cold

I loved Enchanted, but havent really loved a fully animated Disney movie since Lilo and Stitch.

daneenm
07-18-2008, 11:36 PM
Can't wait to see Mamma Mia! Loved the musical...had us dancing in the aisles.

--Daneen

cocowum
07-18-2008, 11:39 PM
DD and I just got back from seeing Mamma Mia. We both LOVED it! It was so much fun! Definitely a dance in your seat kind of movie!:cool1:

Now DD wants to see it on Broadway. :)

The location where they filmed it (Greece) was breathtaking. :goodvibes I really love Meryl Streep. I could watch her wallpaper a room and find it enjoyable. :love: Definitely, two thumbs up! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

kab407
07-19-2008, 05:26 AM
I'll go see Dark Knight first. Then I'll see Journey to the Center of the Earth, then Hellboy, then the Incredible Hulk, then Hancock, then even Baby Mama, before I go see Mamma Mia.

So you'll be our Dancing Queen during 70's night? :rotfl2:

kab407
07-19-2008, 05:27 AM

She could be kicking Will out of the cistern just to escape you and Kevin.

UrsulasShadow
07-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Go see it.

The location where they filmed it (Greece) was breathtaking. :goodvibes I really love Meryl Streep. I could watch her wallpaper a room and find it enjoyable. :love: Definitely, two thumbs up! :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Okay, tell you what...because of what cocowum says, I'll go and see it. I love to watch things filmed in Greece, I love Meryl Streep, so I'll watch...but I'll be wearing my sound-cancelling earbuds, for sure!

(Looks like I'll be wearing them on the cruise, too...)

MenashaCorp
07-19-2008, 07:08 AM

So you'll be our Dancing Queen during 70's night? :rotfl2:

Sounds like we have a game to go along with "Hug John" and "The Podcasters' YMCA." .... UrsulABBA :banana:

Launchpad11B
07-19-2008, 07:28 AM
Okay, tell you what...because of what cocowum says, I'll go and see it.

Good call Mindy, I pretty much do whatever cocowum says and things always seem to work out!!:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

aprince&princess
07-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Hey Kevin, thanks for letting us know what you thought of Mama Mia. I look forward to seeing it. I wasn't impressed with Wall E either, it felt very drawn out to me too. I kept trying to read my watch to see how much time was left.

Poohbug
07-19-2008, 09:09 AM

:rotfl: So funny-the Baby Mama pushed me over the edge.:lmao: I am hoping to see it soon- i like a little mindless entertainment once and a while and would see it for Pierce and Colin alone.:yay:

TXYankee
07-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Thanks everyone! Tonight is double feature night for us. 2 movies in an evening. A 5:00 ish, 7:30 ish. popcorn and candy for dinner!....

My pick will be Mama Mia and DH picked the Dark Knight.

Heck when it is over 100 degrees outside...two Movies in A/C and a light dinner sounds fine to me!

robind
07-19-2008, 02:21 PM

Mindy - You probably wouldn't want to stay in this hotel then.....

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q382/rdillon2/P1000008.jpg

disneyholic family
07-19-2008, 02:25 PM
maybe i'll see mamma mia when it comes out on DVD..
but i can't imagine it being anything but painful.....
i totally hate waterloo and the rest of abba's "music" :rolleyes: ....

i just noticed that Mindy also detests abba - i knew i liked her...:love:

UrsulasShadow
07-19-2008, 03:25 PM
maybe i'll see mamma mia when it comes out on DVD..
but i can't imagine it being anything but painful.....
i totally hate waterloo and the rest of abba's "music" :rolleyes: ....

i just noticed that Mindy also detests abba - i knew i liked her...:love:

Ahhh, another woman with a modicum of taste!:snooty:

Kimberle
07-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Well, we just got back from the movie. As a movie, it was pretty good. However, (I am a purist), it did not hold a candle to the broadway show. Meryl Streep, her 2 friends and the 3 men were simply to old. They couldn't sing. The movie would have been much better if they'd cast the orginal Broadway players. They also missed some great dialog from the show.

If I'd never seen it on Broadway, then I'd probably love the movie. But I have, so the movie is just "OK" in my book.

cocowum
07-19-2008, 05:05 PM
We downloaded the soundtrack and DD and I having been singing Dancing Queen over and over for hours. :lmao: :lmao: (Sorry Mindy;) I think DH is ready to strangle us:teeth:)

Anyway I gotta tell ya, I have this incredible urge to put on Satin shorts and go roller skating. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

MenashaCorp
07-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Roller skating on the cruise?!?! Cool!!

My Gf wants to see Mamma Mia... I'm stalling for the DVD/Blu Ray. Though I *do* like ABBA (sorry, too, Mindy ;)) I can't see spending over $30 to see it in the theater....like we did Dark Knight (Which was suh-WEET!!!) :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

cocowum
07-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Roller skating on the cruise?!?! Cool!!

My Gf wants to see Mamma Mia... I'm stalling for the DVD/Blu Ray. Though I *do* like ABBA (sorry, too, Mindy ;)) I can't see spending over $30 to see it in the theater....like we did Dark Knight (Which was suh-WEET!!!) :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

We had free tickets. If your GF uses any PONDS products there is a promo going on. :thumbsup2 http://www.ponds.com/MM_iframev2.aspx

Joseph Carter
07-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Mamma Mia really was a wonderful film. I went by myself (the only guy in the place). It was pure Cheesey fun, and the beauty of it was that the film knew exactly what it was. There were no hidden messages and pretentious dialouge and apart from Peirce Brosnan thesinging was great. I think Julie Walters should get an Academy Award for "best actor falling out of a rubber boat" (I cried with laughter). The scenery and locations were gorgeous. And similar to Kevin's screening an often reserved and lofty London audience erupted into a surreal dance for the last few credit songs! A rare treat.:banana:

Applemomma
07-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Just got in from it...a mother/daughter outing for my mom's 65th and WE LOVED IT! The theatre was sold out, everyone was singing along at the end and we bought the cd (or rather my mom did...I may download it) on the way out.

I agree about Pierce Bronson never singing in public again ...... :scared1:

dpuck1998
07-19-2008, 09:42 PM
In honor of the new podcast direction I gotta say...I'm much to "butch" for Mama Mia. I've seen all the comic/superhero movies of the summer and even suffered thru Wall-e (just okay for me). I don't think I can pull of actually watching Mama Mia. A guys gotta draw the line somewhere, mine was Sex and the City and Mama Mia. :dance3:

scarlett873
07-19-2008, 11:21 PM
DH was dreading having to go and see Mamma Mia with me...luckily for him, my sister called me at the last minute today and asked if I wanted to see it with her! I just got home from it...

It was pretty cheesy & predictable, but it was fun! I really enjoyed it! I was pleasantly surprised by Meryl Streep's voice when she sang The Winner Takes It All!

I don't think the actors were too old...seemed just about right for having a 20 year old daughter! But that's just my opinion...Meryl Streep did a wonderful job! :thumbsup2

And James Bond should NOT sing. :eek:

disneyholic family
07-20-2008, 12:29 AM
Ahhh, another woman with a modicum of taste!:snooty:

so i won't admit to what music i do like.....:rolleyes1

Mamma Mia really was a wonderful film. I went by myself (the only guy in the place). It was pure Cheesey fun, and the beauty of it was that the film knew exactly what it was. There were no hidden messages and pretentious dialouge and apart from Peirce Brosnan thesinging was great. I think Julie Walters should get an Academy Award for "best actor falling out of a rubber boat" (I cried with laughter). The scenery and locations were gorgeous. And similar to Kevin's screening an often reserved and lofty London audience erupted into a surreal dance for the last few credit songs! A rare treat.:banana:

that london audience probably watches the eurovision as well....(i watch what's his names broadcast - terry wogan?, but i managed to keep myself away from the television this year - got my masochism under control)...

Joseph Carter
07-20-2008, 03:51 AM
that london audience probably watches the eurovision as well....(i watch what's his names broadcast - terry wogan?, but i managed to keep myself away from the television this year
Eurovision is something I am not proud of in anyway or form. We even have a Eurovision Musical opening in the West End called "Eurobeats". As for Terry Wogan he is a treasure and the only decent thing about that show. As you know the rest of Europe doesn't like England, so we never win (even though our songs tend to be the better one). nil points! Im sorry that this is a bit :offtopic::cutie: :scared: !

disneyholic family
07-20-2008, 05:29 AM
Eurovision is something I am not proud of in anyway or form. We even have a Eurovision Musical opening in the West End called "Eurobeats". As for Terry Wogan he is a treasure and the only decent thing about that show. As you know the rest of Europe doesn't like England, so we never win (even though our songs tend to be the better one). nil points! Im sorry that this is a bit :offtopic::cutie: :scared: !

i mentioned eurovision because that's where abba began....when they won the eurovision in the early 70's (with waterloo? i can't remember - i think it was waterloo)..
i really can't abide their music...just reading the titles in this thread, i can hear their music playing in my head and it's like bamboo shoots under my fingernails..

anyway, the mention of eurovision was because that's where abba got their start......i think it was in 1974 - i remember watching it...i thought they sucked then too.....

listening to a whole movie's worth of their music would probably drive me to drink....

tammydel
07-20-2008, 06:33 AM
The whole ABBA discussion reminds me of summer - maybe 2 years ago - my sister and I singing and dancing to the "sounds like" ABBA band in World Showcase, much to the HORROR of my two children.
Looks like I'll have to bring them to this movie!!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

As a side note - I can't get anyone in my family to go see Wall-e with me. I had to take my son to see Space Chimp. While it had a few jokes that were aimed at the adults that were funny, on the whole I enjoyed my box of Dots more than the movie.

Tammy
(humming dancing queen)

Launchpad11B
07-20-2008, 06:44 AM
In honor of the new podcast direction I gotta say...I'm much to "butch" for Mama Mia. I've seen all the comic/superhero movies of the summer and even suffered thru Wall-e (just okay for me). I don't think I can pull of actually watching Mama Mia. A guys gotta draw the line somewhere, mine was Sex and the City and Mama Mia. :dance3:

Agreed. :thumbsup2 Isn't there some kind of man law that says a guy is only required to see one chick flick per year at the movies!:banana:

disneyholic family
07-20-2008, 07:01 AM
The whole ABBA discussion reminds me of summer - maybe 2 years ago - my sister and I singing and dancing to the "sounds like" ABBA band in World Showcase, much to the HORROR of my two children.
Looks like I'll have to bring them to this movie!!!:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

As a side note - I can't get anyone in my family to go see Wall-e with me. I had to take my son to see Space Chimp. While it had a few jokes that were aimed at the adults that were funny, on the whole I enjoyed my box of Dots more than the movie.

Tammy
(humming dancing queen)

we all went to Wall-e together DS and his girlfriend, DD, DH, me, my mom...
we all enjoyed it...

next up will be dark knight....
then hulk...

the movie that we most hated of late? Zohan - probably the second worst movie i've ever seen.....but i couldn't stand austin powers either, so it's probably me, not the movie...

but mamma mia's not in the cards for us.....i love meryl streep, but not enough to stomach abba.....by the way, she sang in a movie several years ago....the one in which shirley macclain is her mom....postcards from the edge...she had a very nice voice in that one (in the grand finale)...

dpuck1998
07-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Agreed. :thumbsup2 Isn't there some kind of man law that says a guy is only required to see one chick flick per year at the movies!:banana:

Unless your dating or in trouble for something....

scarlett873
07-20-2008, 07:43 AM
Unless your dating or in trouble for something....

:rotfl: :rotfl:

UrsulasShadow
07-20-2008, 07:56 AM
so i won't admit to what music i do like.....:rolleyes1

As long as it isn't country western, you're okay in my book!

bcvdreamer
07-20-2008, 08:13 AM

At least you go to one a year, I can't get my dh to any. I missed seeing Sex and The City, because every time I wanted to go my dh had a headache! :lmao: He already told me that he refuses to see Mama Mia...I do have plans to see it with my friends...can't wait, and I'm not an ABBA fan. The musical was a lot of fun.

Lisa

MenashaCorp
07-20-2008, 08:56 AM
At least you go to one a year, I can't get my dh to any. I missed seeing Sex and The City, because every time I wanted to go my dh had a headache! :lmao: He already told me that he refuses to see Mama Mia...I do have plans to see it with my friends...can't wait, and I'm not an ABBA fan. The musical was a lot of fun.

Lisa

I'm a "chick flick" kind of guy, but I'm gonna have to side with your DH on "Sex and The City."

That's wayyyy beyond a standard chick flick.

I hope he starts agreeing to more movies, but taking him to "Sex and The City" would've ruined your chick flick credit forever! :rotfl:

bcvdreamer
07-20-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm a "chick flick" kind of guy, but I'm gonna have to side with your DH on "Sex and The City."

That's wayyyy beyond a standard chick flick.

I hope he starts agreeing to more movies, but taking him to "Sex and The City" would've ruined your chick flick credit forever! :rotfl:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I know he "watches" it on TBS with me, he says he sleeping, but it's amazing how he knows all the characters! Must be subliminal. (If he'd read this, I'd be in trouble.)

wildeoscar
07-20-2008, 05:55 PM
I'll be Agnetha for karaoke, who wants to be Anni?

MenashaCorp
07-20-2008, 06:25 PM
I'll be Agnetha for karaoke, who wants to be Anni?

I nominate Mindy.

I'll be Björn again, praise the Lord... (already am...) ;)

kab407
07-20-2008, 07:56 PM
OK.....add me to the list of those who love Mamma Mia.

My Sister is visiting this week, so we caught an afternoon show since it is to damn hot to do anything else. It was the perfect chick flick movie and loved the music. Any movie with Colin Firth is a must see for me.

BriarRosie
07-20-2008, 09:28 PM
I saw Mamma Mia today. I'd say the average age of moviegoer was 76. And that's probably because my 93 year old grandmother went with me, my sister, our Mom and mom's friend. It was very "Golden Girls". ;)

But we all enjoyed the movie very much. Everyone kept telling me that Pierce Brosnan can't sing. But I think he sounds better than let's say....Randy Newman.

TheTXTaylors5
07-20-2008, 09:48 PM
I saw Mamma Mia today. I'd say the average age of moviegoer was 76. And that's probably because my 93 year old grandmother went with me, my sister, our Mom and mom's friend. It was very "Golden Girls". ;)

But we all enjoyed the movie very much. Everyone kept telling me that Pierce Brosnan can't sing. But I think he sounds better than let's say....Randy Newman.

:laughing: I don't think I'll get DH to this movie with me. Time to grab my girlfriends for a "Girls Night Out"!

OT: I am in my mid-thirties and watch Golden Girls most every night on Lifetime. DH gives me a hard time and always asks me how old am I? I can probably say the same thing to him after watching that ridiculous new game show on tv (like MXC, but American). I also like to watch "Murder, She Wrote". What can I say? I like the "Classics" of my time. ;)

- Jennifer

GBShorts
07-20-2008, 11:13 PM
OK, I'll be the odd woman out here and stick my neck out.

The storyline is cute. The actors they chose for the most part seemed to fit the "look" they were going for, but coming from my personal experience (I teach Theatre :teacher: ), it was wayyyyyyyyy over-acted. Honestly. Who screams like that when they see their friends? (If you do, I'm sorry, but I've NEVER done that with friends) The actors just seemed as if they were trying way too hard to play their parts instead of coming by them honestly and naturally.

Pierce looked a bit like a deer in the headlights when he sang...or a guy trying too hard to look like he was "into" the music (I see I'm not alone on this one). Poor guy, he tried to go out on a limb...and the branch broke!

I don't mean to criticize so much, but it was just a bit too much for me. I came out of there asking my mom if she had any crackers to go with the cheese we had just had thrust upon us. I know it's supposed to be silly and fun, and it was, but it was over the top... just when I'd get into the story line they'd start another song and ruin it.

I will say I found the big dance scene with the guy in flippers to be entertaining though...:dance3: and I DID come out of there singing... :rolleyes1

I don't know that I'll be 1. showing it to my classes as an example of musical theatre like I have one with Evita or 2. buying it for myself...butI may change my mind if these songs won't get out of my head... hehehe.

jcarter29
07-20-2008, 11:55 PM
i thought it was great and i was pleasantly surprised by the vocals of meryl streep. i will say pierce brosnan was not nearly as good and seemed to be very uncomfortable singing. i think the movie is as fun as the live show...go see it!
kim

DisneyKevin
07-21-2008, 12:23 AM
OK, I'll be the odd woman out here and stick my neck out.

The storyline is cute. The actors they chose for the most part seemed to fit the "look" they were going for, but coming from my personal experience (I teach Theatre :teacher: ), it was wayyyyyyyyy over-acted. Honestly. Who screams like that when they see their friends? (If you do, I'm sorry, but I've NEVER done that with friends) The actors just seemed as if they were trying way too hard to play their parts instead of coming by them honestly and naturally.

Pierce looked a bit like a deer in the headlights when he sang...or a guy trying too hard to look like he was "into" the music (I see I'm not alone on this one). Poor guy, he tried to go out on a limb...and the branch broke!

I don't mean to criticize so much, but it was just a bit too much for me. I came out of there asking my mom if she had any crackers to go with the cheese we had just had thrust upon us. I know it's supposed to be silly and fun, and it was, but it was over the top... just when I'd get into the story line they'd start another song and ruin it.

Arent musicals supposed to be "over acted"? Rarely, if ever, am I walking down the street and break in synchronized dance with the surrounding strangers. (ok....it's happened...but thats a different story)

In West Side Story (the movie), Maria tells Tony to speak softly as her parents are sleeping. Cut to Tony singing "Tonight" at the top of his lungs.

In "Summer Stock", Judy Garland and Gene Kelly (both of whom are BRILLIANT in my humble opinion) dance with farm animals and equipment during the "Howdy Neighbor" number.

Any show Patti Lupone is in (and again...she's BRILLIANT( would have to be considered overacted. She chews scenery like no one else, but thats what people love.

In the most award winning musical ever....The Producers....there is a chorus line of walker using older women all looking to get "closer" to Nathan Lane. Talk about suspending disbelief.

I understand what you are saying, but I guess I went into the theater expecting anything scored entirely with ABBA music to be fun and a bit over the top.

In my opinion, it goes with the "musical theater" territory and I wouldnt have it any other way.

disneycruise05
07-21-2008, 01:39 AM
Arent musicals supposed to be "over acted"? Rarely, if ever, am I walking down the street and break in synchronized dance with the surrounding strangers. (ok....it's happened...but thats a different story)

In West Side Story (the movie), Maria tells Tony to speak softly as her parents are sleeping. Cut to Tony singing "Tonight" at the top of his lungs.

In "Summer Stock", Judy Garland and Gene Kelly (both of whom are BRILLIANT in my humble opinion) dance with farm animals and equipment during the "Howdy Neighbor" number.

Any show Patti Lupone is in (and again...she's BRILLIANT( would have to be considered overacted. She chews scenery like no one else, but thats what people love.

In the most award winning musical ever....The Producers....there is a chorus line of walker using older women all looking to get "closer" to Nathan Lane. Talk about suspending disbelief.

I understand what you are saying, but I guess I went into the theater expecting anything scored entirely with ABBA music to be fun and a bit over the top.

In my opinion, it goes with the "musical theater" territory and I wouldnt have it any other way.

Well said, Kevin. :thumbsup2

While I STILL can't comment on Mamma Mia......

The Producers is an excellent excellent excellent movie (sadly, I've never seen it on stage...)! I'm a fan of both the original and the re-make...probably more so of the re-make, mainly because of Nathan Lane. He was the PERFECT Max Bialystock.

I always like to think that should I ever be in a production of The Producers, I would play the role of Roger DeBris. It's only politically correct for a gay Jew to play Hitler, right?

GBShorts
07-21-2008, 11:32 AM

Of course it's supposed to be over the top! I guess I mis-worded what I was saying. There's a difference between acting and over-acting. ;) Believe me. I'm quite a musical lover myself (also known to randomly break into song), but I just felt that some of the actors were trying so hard they came across as fake. by "over the top" I meant over-acted, not that the show itself was over the top.

As previously stated, I didn't hate the movie and I did come out of there singing ABBA myself...I'm sorry if I offended, but I was just stating opinion from a thespian's point of view. ;)

There have been musicals I have seen that I never blinked twice at them randomly bursting into song. Such examples are Wicked, the King and I and so on. They fit. They make sense. The actors aren't trying too hard to make it look like they're enjoying themselves. I'm just saying that some of the actors (SOME! NOT ALL!) Looked a bit forced. :/ I'm not criticizing the show itself, only the way some of the actors were portraying the parts.

I'll crawl back into my hole now... I should have known better... :(

Perhaps the theatrical version is better...

DisneyKevin
07-21-2008, 11:48 AM
I'll crawl back into my hole now... I should have known better... :(

I apologize if you were offended by what I said. It certainly wasn't my intent

I thought I was offering my opinion on the subject, which differs from yours.

I certainly wasn't trying state that "I'm right and you're wrong", but rather using examples to back up my opinion, much like what you did by mentioning that you dont scream and jump up and down when you see your friends.

I feel badly that you feel that you need to "crawl back into your hole" or that "you should have known better".

I just thought we were having a discussion.

Again, I apologize.

UrsulasShadow
07-21-2008, 12:43 PM
If ANYone comes out of that theater and sings ABBA songs, in front of me, I will ask them to kindly crawl BACK IN THEIR HOLE. Or I'll offer them the cistern...

wildeoscar
07-21-2008, 12:47 PM

that post is so gay, Liberace sat up and said, "Really?"

alebisi
07-21-2008, 01:25 PM
If ANYone comes out of that theater and sings ABBA songs, in front of me, I will ask them to kindly crawl BACK IN THEIR HOLE. Or I'll offer them the cistern...

:rotfl: :laughing:

dpuck1998
07-21-2008, 01:46 PM

{waves hand} nooo youuu...did'int....

alebisi
07-21-2008, 01:47 PM

uh?:confused3 i'm lost here

wildeoscar
07-21-2008, 02:02 PM
uh?:confused3 i'm lost here

yeah, that's not gonna translate into Italian.

kab407
07-21-2008, 02:12 PM
yeah, that's not gonna translate into Italian.

Rex, Rex, Rex.......good luck on this one!

crazydisneyman
07-21-2008, 02:37 PM
Rex, Mindy and Kevin (I never thought I would put you three in a group) are all crazy just like me!

I LOVE musicals. I Love Love Love them. I am a man, and I love musicals. I know it's crazy, but I can't hide my true emotions. With that said, I totally agree with Kevin. Musicals are supposed to be over-the-top. That's why I love Disney. I mean, you could walk down the street in a Disney park and burst into song and dance and it would be considered normal. Right? (My wife would probably disagree, though.....) :lmao:

I actually sang to Mary Poppins at 1900 Park Fare once, and she loved it!

Now, I have started watching Bollywood movies for the musical quality that they have, and I miss that in Hollywood today. Disney is the exception, of course. And I hate to say it, but I really do like the High School Musical movies. I also love Enchanted. That movie was ahead of its time.

Now back to Mama Mia!

I want to see it both at the movies and on a broadway-tour. I love Abba music, I have swedish background in my family, so I think it's a genetic trait or something. I am excited to see it after reading all of your reviews here! :thumbsup2

EJKorvette
07-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Last Friday I drove up to surprise my mom up in Palm Beach Gardens. Luckily she was all set to go out, so we went to see Mamma Mia.

People will either LOVE this movie or absolutely HATE it, depending on how you feel about the music of ABBA. If you love the music, you will realize that the whole show (now a movie) is just an excuse for loads of people to dance and sing to ABBA songs. You will even put up with Pierce Bronson's performance in this movie.

I was lucky enough to actually see ABBA in concert in Boston in January 1976. Obviously I loved the movie.

Don't think the gf wanted to see it. She saw the play out in Vegas a few years back, and I think that was enough for her (and why we never got to see it on any of our trips out there).

Actually for a hetero male, there are some chick flicks I actually like. Being from the city, I loved the tv show Sex and the City, and wanted to see the movie. Too bad my girlfriend didn't. I dragged her to see You've Got Mail, mostly because I used to work for Barnes and Noble, the original store on Fifth and Eighteenth. She hated it and resents me for making her see it to this day.

To sum up: if you can't get those ABBA songs out of your head, go see this movie.

EJKorvette mka Evan

TheTXTaylors5
07-21-2008, 03:35 PM
I was lucky enough to actually see ABBA in concert in Boston in January 1976. Obviously I loved the movie. . .
To sum up: if you can't get those ABBA songs out of your head, go see this movie.

EJKorvette mka Evan

:love: When DH and I were preparing for our wedding over thirteen years ago, we watched EVERY movie that pertained to weddings. Including, Muriel's Wedding. That movie got me hooked on ABBA music. Everytime we hear "Dancing Queen", DH says "There's your song". ;)

- Jennifer

OKW Lover
07-21-2008, 04:18 PM

Mamma Mia there she goes again. My my..... :goodvibes

kc5grw
07-21-2008, 04:26 PM
I haven't seen the movie and probably won't till it comes out on DVD. We have seen the play and really enjoyed that. From what I've seen of the trailers, the movie isn't going to really compare to the play.

UrsulasShadow
07-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Mamma Mia there she goes again. My my..... :goodvibes

Y'know, Jeff, you live altogether TOO close to taunt me like this...;) :scared1:

DVCsince02
07-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Cistern for two?

GBShorts
07-21-2008, 05:36 PM
I apologize if you were offended by what I said. It certainly wasn't my intent

I thought I was offering my opinion on the subject, which differs from yours.

I certainly wasn't trying state that "I'm right and you're wrong", but rather using examples to back up my opinion, much like what you did by mentioning that you dont scream and jump up and down when you see your friends.

I feel badly that you feel that you need to "crawl back into your hole" or that "you should have known better".

I just thought we were having a discussion.

Again, I apologize.

I was certainly not offended ;) I just meant that sometimes I stick my opinion in when I know it is better to keep my mouth closed! ;) No harm, no foul! I was horrified that maybe I had offended YOU! I'm as big a musical lover as the next person. I'd hate to think I upset a kindred spirit! :grouphug:

I didn't mean I was singing OUT LOUD... :rotfl: I LIVE with music in my head. Is there anybody else out there that does that...? Hears someone say something and can think of a line in a song that goes with it? Curse my brain! :dance3:

PlutoGirl1117
07-21-2008, 06:05 PM
I am looking forward to seeing this movie. My husband and I are going to hit the drive-in tomorrow night and see this and Wall-E. I'm sure my daughter (14) will want to join us, but I'm thinking my 17 year old son will be staying home! :lmao: Silly boy! He rolled his eyes at me when I said Wall-E before, never mind adding in Mamma Mia! He'll want to go to the second screen and see Dark Knight! :lmao:

I saw the play in Vegas two years ago. My child hood friends and I went to "celebrate" :scared: turning 40 and we chose this play! Loved it!! :banana:

Fran

WaltD4Me
07-21-2008, 08:39 PM

I haven't been following this thread since unfortunately I still haven't had time to see Mama Mia, but I popped in just to see more DIS'er reviews and I have to say I'm really surprised at Mindy for giving away her "achilles heel." I'm having many visions of people singing Abba to her now on the cruise, requesting Abba at the disco and best of all, Rex following Mindy around in his sparkle camo bikini with a boombox playing the best of Abba. (not trying to give anyone any ideas of course.) ;)

kgibbler20
07-21-2008, 11:16 PM
I haven't been following this thread since unfortunately I still haven't had time to see Mama Mia, but I popped in just to see more DIS'er reviews and I have to say I'm really surprised at Mindy for giving away her "achilles heel." I'm having many visions of people singing Abba to her now on the cruise, requesting Abba at the disco and best of all, Rex following Mindy around in his sparkle camo bikini with a boombox playing the best of Abba. (not trying to give anyone any ideas of course.) ;)

Mindy is going to put everyone in he cistern... out of which Abba will be blairing... But if Will is in there the cost of admission will probably go up.

alebisi
07-22-2008, 06:36 AM
Y'know, Jeff, you live altogether TOO close to taunt me like this...;) :scared1:

Mindy here's a question.. what would you do if Will is the number one fan of ABBA?:rotfl:

UrsulasShadow
07-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Mindy here's a question.. what would you do if Will is the number one fan of ABBA?:rotfl:
THAT could never happen, I'm sure.

But, in case it was true, I guess I'd have to let him go. That would be a TERRIBLE thing to subject my DD to her entire life.

Of course, the only way he could prove his love of ABBA to me would be to stand up on the stage on Karaoke night, and sing a medley of ABBA's hits. In Rex's bikini top. AND give up NASCAR. Completely incompatible, as anyone could tell you...so yes, I'm afraid NASCAR would have to go. Then, and only then, would I take away the privilege of being my sweet son-in-law.

I'd have to put up the cistern for auction, of course. Darn, and I just installed a 52" plasma-screen TV with surround-sound, with its own remote button tuned to NASCAR...ah, well.

scarlett873
07-22-2008, 07:17 AM
Lisa, Lisa, Lisa...

I've already thought of this...lol...Just when Mindy thinks it's safe to come out and she least expects it, BAM! Mamma Mia, here I go again, my my, how can I resist ya? ;) :rotfl:

I will NOT post my achilles heel! Come to think of it...i'm not sure I have one! At least that you people could use against me anyway :idea:

alebisi
07-22-2008, 07:19 AM
Lisa, Lisa, Lisa...

I've already thought of this...lol...Just when Mindy thinks it's safe to come out and she least expects it, BAM! Mamma Mia, here I go again, my my, how can I resist ya? ;) :rotfl:

I will NOT post my achilles heel! Come to think of it...i'm not sure I have one! At least that you people could use against me anyway :idea:

:rotfl: :laughing: I just fall from my chair laughing

MenashaCorp
07-22-2008, 08:20 AM
THAT could never happen, I'm sure.

I'd have to put up the cistern for auction, of course. Darn, and I just installed a 52" plasma-screen TV with surround-sound, with its own remote button tuned to NASCAR...ah, well.

I doubt there are many ABBA fans among the NASCAR crowd. Oh, was that ABBA hate speech? NASCAR hate speech? I'm sorry.. ;)

Now don't go crowing about installing "surround sound." It's a CISTERN!!!! It has BUILT-IN SURROUND SOUND!!!! :lmao:

At long last my life has purpose!!! .... must..search...old...threads.... :surfweb: ...Find weakness..... Must exploit.... :rotfl:

scarlett873
07-22-2008, 08:25 AM
At long last my life has purpose!!! .... must..search...old...threads.... :surfweb: ...Find weakness..... Must exploit.... :rotfl:Oh snap...:scared1: Don't think you'll find anything :rolleyes1

I hope...:eek:

MenashaCorp
07-22-2008, 09:02 AM
At long last my life has purpose!!! .... must..search...old...threads.... :surfweb: ...Find weakness..... Must exploit.... :rotfl:

Oh snap...:scared1: Don't think you'll find anything :rolleyes1

I hope...:eek:

Something ... like..... THIS?!?!?!?!?:scared1: :scared1:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/swedishmeatball69/spideryellgreen.jpg

:flower3: ...sorry :)

scarlett873
07-22-2008, 09:36 AM
Oh that is low....so very, very low...:scared1:

Sorry those of you who dislike spiders too...lol...that picture is ginormous! :rotfl:

klam_chowder
07-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Loved reading this thread...good discussion and laughs all around. :goodvibes All you podcast cruisin' MEN - don't tell my DH that he only has to go to one chick flick/year. :ssst: He'll think that info will be worth the cost of the cruise! :rotfl:

Just saw the MM on Broadway over the July 4 weekend - have been wanting to see it for years!! It was worth the wait! :thumbsup2

After NYC, headed to the west coast for a wedding. The live band did a ABBA medley fairly early on. My 20-something friends rolled their eyes when the first notes were played but they knew to cheer DH & I onto the dance floor and it became packed! :dancer:

Saw Hancock this wk, and Dark Knight is next week. I don't think DH can hold off MM any longer after that :lmao:

cheers,
:flower3:

disneyholic family
07-23-2008, 10:31 AM
i'll probably be stoned in this thread (which is the only condition in which i'd ever listen to abba without being bound and gagged), but i'll be seeing sex and the city tonight....in the VIP theatre here.....only 25 seats in the theatre - these big lazyboy type loungers.....and beforehand you're served a gourmet dinner (included in the ticket) and all the popcorn, drinks (soft and hard) ben and jerry's, cake, souffle, etc etc you can eat....mmmmm....

so it really doesn't matter what the movie is as far as i'm concerned....as long as it's not MM.....

bettyann29
07-23-2008, 04:23 PM
so glad there are so many good things to say..

Me and a few friends are going to have a girls day out maybe this weekend and plan on going to see Mama Mia.. :cool1:

razster
07-23-2008, 06:29 PM
We were lucky enough to attend the london premiere it was a most terrific film, it captivated all who were watching.

Everyone was rocking in their seats and it came to a crescendo with dancing the odeon aisles.

I was a real fan of the west end musical but this film really was terrific and excelled the stage production in many aspects although there are ofcourse aspects of the live production which are unique and special which the film could not match, but all i can say is if you have the chance to visit either you will not be at all disappointed...

a wonderful feel good summer movie.

Raz

MM32830
07-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Just saw Mamma Mia and it was FUN and fantastic.

Great summer movie.

There were young kids (8 - 10) in the theater dancing in the front row.

Truly a good time.

I agree 100%

I just got back from seeing the movie. What a fun movie. This is one movie that you can just sit back and enjoy.

Armand

SamSam
07-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Loved this movie!!! Watched it with several very close friends and we were laughing out loud during so many scenes. Of course, we all danced to Abba in our younger years. :goodvibes :goodvibes

robind
07-23-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm looking forward to this, the ladies in my family are going tonight - we have a diverse age range so it will be interesting to see what we all think. It's me, my aunt, and two of my cousins. Now if we can just decide where to have dinner.;)