PDA

View Full Version : Keep Hearing Food Is So-So At Sci-Fi & Coral Reef....

bellenbuzz
07-17-2008, 07:33 AM
I've never been to these 2 restaurants because lots of reviews say the food is average at best, just so-so, "their worst meal".........
I like the theme decor idea of these but hate to waste money on a not so good meal.......
Any GREAT Reviews on these restaurants, or mostly "yuk" reviews......
Thanks for honest opinions & replies !!!

kkproulx
07-17-2008, 07:35 AM
I wanna know too.....:)

ReneeA
07-17-2008, 07:38 AM
We are trying Coral Reef forthe first time in August...I've heard reviews all over the board for that one. Many people claim that they had the best steak of their trip there, so that should make my DH happy. I'm a fish lover, so I am hoping for the best. If nothing else, I figure that the atmosphere counts for alot there. :goodvibes

As for Sci-Fi, this is one of our must-dos every trip. It's the only restaurant my kids insist on. However, I'll give the same advice as most about the food. Stick with what they do best - burgers, onion rings, and milkshakes. Go with those, and you'll have a great, fun meal. I love their onion rings.:love:

Have a great trip!!

MickeyNicki
07-17-2008, 07:40 AM
I hear the same thing about Sci Fi but we are going to try lunch their anyways. How bad can you screw up a burger and shake?

blondinkaya
07-17-2008, 07:59 AM
We were at WDW this past May and ate at both places. Let me dig out the receipts ... :lmao:

Sci Fi: We (dh, myself, and two boys, ages 13 and 5) ate there for lunch and loved it!

Appies: Dh had the onion rings, ds1 had the chili (I have no idea why he wanted chili :confused3), and I had the spinach artichoke dip. We all shared our appies with each other and with ds2, since he was on the kids' plan. I liked my dip and chips so much that I got the recipe and have made it at home three times now.

Main Dishes: Burger, rib plate, and chicken bruschetta with fries. No complaints from anyone.

Desserts: Chocolate tart, cheesecake, and water (ds1 was too full, so the lady brought out a bottle of water for him). OMG the cheesecake was too much! It had caramel popcorn, m&ms, whipped topping, AND caramel sauce with it! It was good, but I wasn't expecting something like that (and I didn't finish it).

Ds 2 had the pizza kids' meal. He ate some of it, but he was full from what we gave him from our meals.

Oh, yeah, and both got chocolate shakes as their drinks.

Coral Reef: We ate there for dinner and were happy with it.

Appies: Land and Sea, shrimp cocktail, and cod cake. I really liked the land and sea, but the portions were really tiny. The shrimp cocktail was good, albeit flimsy. The cod cake was good, too.

Main dishes: Dh had the king crab legs. They were HUGE, and he said they were really good. I read here that they've been discontinued. :sad1:. I had a NY strip. It was all right, but I had a fillet at Le Cellier the day before and think that ruined any future steak experiences for me :rotfl:. Ds1 had the grilled chicken. He said it was the best chicken he's ever had.

Desserts: Ds1 and I had the chocolate wave (dh took ds' cherries for him), and dh had the mousse and loved it.

Ds2 had the salmon kids' meal with fruit salad and sundae and ate it ALL.

Conclusion: I personally enjoyed both restaurants. Dh says the CR was his all time favorite restaurant. I say Le Cellier was, lol. While the Sci Fi was excellent with the theming and food, I probably won't be a repeat visitor for a while. This trip was our very first, and we want to try out other places during our next visit.

Sorry this was so long, but you did ask ... :rolleyes:

starbox
07-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Sci Fi is the one restaurant we've done every trip since our honeymoon (16 years ago). The atmosphere is just so good. The food is not thrilling - but how thrilling are burgers and shakes? It's fine.

When we were on the DDP we always paid OOP for Sci Fi and did lunch. It's not that much more $$ than a nice CS.

We've had the best meal of our trip at Coral Reef - and we've had good meals at Coral Reef. I've never had a bad experience - and the atmosphere is really amazing. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

jillyb
07-17-2008, 08:09 AM
I haven't eaten at Sci-Fi so can't help ya there.

Coral Reef was our favorite restaurant. Our table was right at the aquarium and the girls loved being able to look at all the fish. DH and I both got the mahi mahi. This was the first time I'd ever eaten mahi mahi and it was fantastic!

dburg30
07-17-2008, 08:25 AM
I enjoyed Sci-Fi a lot, loved the burger, fries and shake (as others have pointed out) oh, and our server. Forget her name, but she was FUN. Plus the hokey sci-fi 'movies' :D

Coral Reef, actually I was pretty disappointed in it. Now I ordered steak, and maybe you shouldnt do that at a place called 'Coral Reef'. I dunno, but I've had better steaks at Denny's. I was suprised how small Coral Reef was, and was actually disappointed in the tank view. I wasnt next to it, and maybe there is more to it then I saw, but what I could see wasnt impressive IMO.

whogirl'smom
07-17-2008, 08:34 AM
We ate at CR in October, 07 for my DH's birthday and everything was great!

DH and I both had the Caesar salad and it was very good. DD7 had the lobster bisque for her appy and really enjoyed it (she is a big fan of clam chowder, so this was still in her comfort zone.) For our entrees, DH and I both had the NY strip and it was better than Le Cellier's strip. The potatoes were to die for. Could have been more broccolini, but DH gave me some of his. DD got the kid's grilled chicken, broccoli and (?) pasta and loved it. DD and I both had strawberry smoothies for our drinks (see avatar pic)--they are like a virgin strawberry dacquiri instead of frozen yogurt based.

For dessert DD had make your own sundae (a hit!) and I had the chocolate wave. It was so yummy good, but I would advise against eating the alcohol laden cherries; they are so strong, they're almost bitter. DH got the Bailey's and Jack Daniel mousse for dessert. This was very good and a great combination of flavors, but you can definitely taste the Jack Daniels as you get toward the bottom chocolate layer.

We would definitely eat there again!

srdipert
07-17-2008, 08:34 AM
I liked Coral Reef the one time we ate there.

I didn't like SciFi but that was 10yrs ago. We are trying it again in Sept but DS wants too. We are going to stick with burgers and fries.

SGMCO
07-17-2008, 08:52 AM
I say try a restaurant based upon what your interested in and
then you can get your on opintion if you like it or not.
If I would have listened to the reviews of our Favorite TS
we would have never tried it--so glad I didn't.
Plus we did listen to a review on a TS that everyone raves
about and hated it so I now don't listen to others people
advice because it doesn't work for me.

We will be eating at Sci-Fi for the 1st time this upcoming trip
and since I can't eat Beef or Chicken, I will be eating either
the Fish or Boca (Veggie Burger). Can't be any worst than
Garden Grill.

jezebella
07-17-2008, 08:58 AM
Go to sci-fi and split a turkey sandwich and onion rings!!! Yum!!! It's one of the best sandwiches in the parks, IMO.

WDisnut
07-17-2008, 09:25 AM
Both have nice looking insides. The food at sci fi is ok or soso, but Coral reef, just bad all around. after a 40 min wait....The apps are small and tasteless, I had the land and sea and my GF had the salad. The salad size I guess is ok but it came warm... and the land is sea is something to laugh at....I got the steak and she got the crab legs, mine tasted fine and it was a ok size . Hers was like tough, tasteless and definitely not fresh. I ask the waitress are they fresh or frozen, she said "freshly frozen" with a big smile. If I was paying out of pocket I would have been even more upset, I felt like the dining room was a three level romper room for kids and not a fine dining exp lol. I know its disney but come on....

MrsJ Henry
07-17-2008, 09:47 AM
We really enjoy Sci Fi but for the burgers!!! We have never had anything else but those are really good and we have fun there.
So it you like burgers (the shakes are good too) I say go and try it there.

Jubilee
07-17-2008, 09:49 AM
I haven't been to Sci-Fi yet but we were at Coral Reef last Sept 2007.

Personalized menu/diver: Well, when I checked in, the menu and diver were supposed to be a REALLY big surprise for my entire family. They couldn't find the menus though so my family was probably wondering why I was all frazzled and why we were waiting so long. Our wait ended up being like 20-30 mins. with PS because of this. In the end, they finally found it and we were seated by an incredibly nice gentleman host. The menu was good...one of the last names in our group was wrong, but I expected it to be based on that it always is lol....the divers were great!!!! My family was all teary eyed.

Atmosphere: OK, do you know the large booth front and center facing the tank....well, that's where we sat. Best seat in the house, amazing view, and so fun. I cannot complain about the atmosphere here at all.

Apps: Most of us got the shrimp or salads. It was pretty good. We were still very excited and hopeful that the meal would be amazing.

Entrees: Most everyone got the strip steak in our group. I did get the salmon. Mine was just "OK." I like salmon but I wasn't crazy about the particular preparation. Our steaks were all cooked wrong..they were all overdone. Maybe this is why we waited so long; our steaks would've been out sooner if they were the medium rare we ordered rather than well done. That said, they took them back and recooked them to perfection.

Desserts: Overall, this was the best part of the meal, but still not as good as other places from our trip. I got the Bailey's and Jack Daniel's mousse but I found it generally flavorless. Then again, Le Cellier mousse was one of my favorites on the whole trip, so I can't imagine anything comparing.

Service: It was very slow. The older lady server we had (in her 50s or 60s)....well, serving was just NOT for her. It took a long time to get my diet coke refills and I am one of those people that needs to drink while I eat...lol. I was a server myself so I am very sympathetic to when someone is in the weeds, but the service we got was just not acceptable for a restaurant of that caliber. She took our orders like an assembly line...just no frills or personality. Promised to return with A, B & C and would usually forget 1, 2 or all 3 of the items. It did turn me off to CR (I'll try it again one day but I'm not clamoring to get in during my next trip.)

Would give it a C+ but the atmosphere saved the day.

TJA
07-17-2008, 09:51 AM
We really enjoyed Coral Reef last trip. We both loved these meals:

Pan-seared Tilapia - served with a roasted white and green bean salad tossed in a tomato vinaigrette $20.99

Grilled Pork Chop - served with caramelized shallots and sweet onion mashed potatoes topped with wild mushroom sauce $21.99

As far as Sci-Fi, we did NOT enjoy our food there a couple years ago. However, we are going to give it another try next month as our kids are older now and will love the experience of eating there.

SuzieN
07-17-2008, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't say that Sci-Fi is so-so. We went in February and everyone in our party really enjoyed their meal! The adults all had reubens or ribs and they were great. My DS9 had a pizza which he devoured, and my DD5 had a hot dog which she didn't eat much of because she doesn't eat much of anything! Definitely go and try it out - the atmosphere can't be beat!

ROEDISNEY
07-17-2008, 11:04 AM
I've never been to these 2 restaurants because lots of reviews say the food is average at best, just so-so, "their worst meal".........
I like the theme decor idea of these but hate to waste money on a not so good meal.......
Any GREAT Reviews on these restaurants, or mostly "yuk" reviews......
Thanks for honest opinions & replies !!!

Si-Fi was a must do every time for us since they changed the menu YUK! Decor is cool but that's it. They need to go back to the menu from a couple of years ago.
Coral Reef is good decor is nice :thumbsup2

TheTXTaylors5
07-17-2008, 11:43 AM
I say try a restaurant based upon what your interested in and
then you can get your on opintion if you like it or not.
If I would have listened to the reviews of our Favorite TS
we would have never tried it--so glad I didn't.
Plus we did listen to a review on a TS that everyone raves
about and hated it so I now don't listen to others people
advice because it doesn't work for me.

:thumbsup2 That is exactly how I feel. I do ask other people for their "opinion" to get a feel for a restaurant. But everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Case in point, there are threads on favorite and worst food at WDW. Both lists have the exact same restaurants.:rolleyes: We went to Sci-Fi for dinner during our last trip, even after reading all the horrible reviews. We had a great time. We stuck to the burgers on the tip of other DISers. TIP: Even though it's not on the menu, you CAN get burgers at dinner too.

:sad2: We've never eaten at Coral Reef and want to try it for ourselves. I heard negative AND positive reviews about the food. I guess it depends on who's cooking that night. ;) That can be the case in any restaurant.

Have a magical trip! :wizard:

- Jennifer

beroh2253
07-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Went to Coral Reef last Setp. 07 and this June 08 had the NY Strip and it was really good steak as good or better hen Le Cellier and the Baileys and Jack Daniel's Mousse best dessert at Disney. Have ADR's for this Sept.

devine
07-17-2008, 12:17 PM
I've never been to the CR, but even though I've heard bad things about it, I still want to try it. I like to give people and places the benifit of the doubt.

and even though i haven't been to the Sci Fi since 05, I'll probably never go back unless it's for dessert only.

We went, and maybe it was just b/c it was a rainy day, or what, but we had a miserable meal there. The food we got was less then so so, and flavorless (at least mine was, BTW a BBQ chicken sandwich should have some flavor and shouldn't be cold) our server was rude, and we felt rushed to leave. Although the onion rings were good, that's not enough reason to return.

we did enjoy sitting in the car, and watching b movies, but I'm in no rush at all to ever return.

TheTXTaylors5
07-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Went to Coral Reef last Setp. 07 and this June 08 had the NY Strip and it was really good steak as good or better hen Le Cellier and the Baileys and Jack Daniel's Mousse best dessert at Disney. Have ADR's for this Sept.

Case in point, the "good chef" was on that night. ;)

and even though i haven't been to the Sci Fi since 05, I'll probably never go back unless it's for dessert only. . . The food we got was less then so so, and flavorless (at least mine was, BTW a BBQ chicken sandwich should have some flavor and shouldn't be cold) our server was rude, and we felt rushed to leave. Although the onion rings were good, that's not enough reason to return.

The "bad chef" was on that day. ;)

Every WDW restaurant deserves at least one shot. Go and make your own opinion.

- Jennifer

paintnolish
07-17-2008, 12:33 PM
I've read the reviews, but I prefer to make my own decisions! I went to both places last trip and enjoyed the food as well as the atomosphere. ADRs for both places for my honeymoon!;)

princessesx2
07-17-2008, 12:43 PM
We just came back from WDW! Loved Sci Fi...I was concerned with the reviews I had read but I figured how bad could a burger be! We had lunch ADRs for 2:30pm....it was really hot out and kids were worn out so we went @ 2 to see if we could get seated (this was on 7/3...park was not all that busy...as none really were PACKED this trip) They seated us right away and my dd's 7 and 2 LOVED the car....the b movies kept them entertained and my 2yo loved the fact that it was a CAR she was sitting in. With 4 adults 2 kids on DxDP we had:
Apps: Chili, Spinach Dip with chips and 2 onion ring orders (all were devoured and were really good)

Meal: Kids burger, Kids beef and Mac, 3 burgers and a ruben ALL WERE GREAT!

Dessert: Chocolate tart x3 and cheesecake pretty good but we were all full from apps and meals.
Plus my daughter (7) got a milkshake which was really good!

Service was great and friendly...kept drinks filled, and brought all items needed (including xtra napkins for 2yo!:) quickly and happily....totally did not mind the 18% tip...actually tipped her 20% as she was that good...now if only Disney could find more like her!

bellenbuzz
07-18-2008, 11:37 AM
It is so informative to get feedback from all you DIS'ers.....Thank you so much!
I have put off both restaurants on past trips because of the negative reviews, BUT, good point on giving it a try....
Since getting Dining Plan, I guess I feel if I use a TS on one of these places, and its "yukkie", I'll be disappointed that I could have gone to a much better place, BUT, I also like to try restaurants we haven;t been to yet.....

For sure, I think we will give SCI-FI a try, for the atmosphere, Not use the DP, pay OOP and go for lunch......

Hmmmmmmmm, I love the planning !!!

Now My DD age 7 wants to pick out some smilie dudes, here she goes:
:banana: :yay: popcorn:: :dance3: :laundy: :cool2: :3dglasses :surfweb: :grouphug: :hourglass :beach: pixiedust: :drive: :firefight :moped: :duck: :thanks: :boat: :rockband: party: :rainbow: :drinking1 :donald: :tigger: :mickeyjum

maj42169
07-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Coral Reef, actually I was pretty disappointed in it. Now I ordered steak, and maybe you shouldnt do that at a place called 'Coral Reef'. I dunno, but I've had better steaks at Denny's. I was suprised how small Coral Reef was, and was actually disappointed in the tank view. I wasnt next to it, and maybe there is more to it then I saw, but what I could see wasnt impressive IMO.

It must have been your view of the tank, because from where we sat it was amazing! We were not right up on the glass, actually had a booth that was facing the glass. It was up one level from the tables and we were able to see everything just fine. Now the food, well, I was pleased with my crab legs, but the shrimp coctail app was so small that I couldn't find the shrimp!!

My husband was not imprpessed with the food. He had the salad for the app, didn't like it at all, but I (the salad lover) thought it was delicious! We can't remember what he ordered as the main dish......not memorable, and desserts.....can't remember them either!

SurfinTX
07-18-2008, 04:00 PM
My husband was not imprpessed with the food. He had the salad for the app, didn't like it at all, but I (the salad lover) thought it was delicious! We can't remember what he ordered as the main dish......not memorable, and desserts.....can't remember them either!

That is why it is so hard to get an acurate sampling for how good a restaraunt is. All four of us at the CR found the food to be above average during our stay. The atmosphere is what really makes it more enjoyable, quieter than many of the places we ate at. We will catch the Drive-In next time just to compare. I'm not expecting to be wowed by the food but will enjoy the theme. popcorn::

LuvsTig
07-18-2008, 04:10 PM
I LOVE the Sci Fi Diner but was disappointed in the last meal I had there. (very DRY turkey club) but it didn't put a damper on the whole experience. I love the B movies and the incredible theming. It's a welcome oasis in the mid-day heat. At lunchtime you instantly leave a hot sunny Florida day and enter a cool starlit evening. I think it would be a shame to not give it a try. Even for a milkshake and an order of onion rings you can't go wrong.
ENJOY!!!

Missin'Disney
07-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Even w/ my booth facing the tank, I still didn't love CR. Over an hr. wait for our 7:00 ADR, spotty service, mediocre food and soooo noisy & crowded :mad:
Yuk! is all i can say...

tmws66
07-18-2008, 04:24 PM
I had been very hesitant about the Sci-Fi Dine In, but because my husband wanted to go we ate there last week. Let me tell you I was very happily suprised. First of all because everyone is watching the movies it is one of the quietest restaurants. I had the burger and DH had the Smoked Turkey Sandwich. Both were good and there were no complaints. Really enjoyed it.

It has been a few years since we ate at Coral Reef, but when we did it was good.

bellenbuzz
07-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Either its GREAT or its YUK !!!

On a side note: Why Would WDW allow a restaurant to have such mediocre food ????? If they do any research they would hear these reviews and make better menus or make better food......

Any opinions on that ???

annie1995
07-18-2008, 08:23 PM
We haven't tried Coral Reef yet, but Sci-Fi was YUCK in our opinion. Someday we will go back just for a dessert or appy the atmosphere is really cool, but thats it.

TwiddleDeeTwiddleDum
07-18-2008, 09:53 PM
We go to Sci-Fi every trip because of the atmosphere - we think it's a hoot! I always order a burger & vanilla shake with Kaluah added - yum :thumbsup2 One year my mom ordered a chicken sandwich - said it was awful :sad2: So I always stick with the burger & shake - for lunch!

We did the CR once & I would go again with a "first timer" because it's a fun atmosphere but it is expensive.

BelleLovesTheBeast
07-19-2008, 10:41 AM
I enjoyed the Coral Reef last Sept. I had the lobster roll and soup. It was really good. For dessert I had the Chocolate Wave. We liked it and will be going back again on our next trip.

Sci Fi on the other hand is the worst restaurant and the only one at Disney I'll never go back to again. The food was cold and tasted terrible. It's the only time I've ever not been able to eat what I ordered. The atmosphere is nice but the food is terrible.

susieq76
07-19-2008, 10:57 AM
We love Coral Reef- its a must do on every trip- My kids specifically ask for it! I did have one yucky appetizer there last trip and the waiter saw I didn't like it and brought me my favorite- the bisque!

Try it- it really is good!

We also like Sci Fi- but again- for burgers and stuff. I love the spinach dip and the milkshakes- and my boys love the cars & movie!

pixie08
07-19-2008, 11:08 AM
We like the atmosphere at Sci-fi..it is a lot of fun but really only get burgers and shakes.

Coral reef is decent but imo it is way overpriced for what you get if you pay oop.

momandseandodisney
07-19-2008, 11:09 AM
I hear the same thing about Sci Fi but we are going to try lunch their anyways. How bad can you screw up a burger and shake?
Exactly , the atmosphere is great, give it a try :thumbsup2

Coral Reef , this Sept will be the 3rd year in the row going (I always order the same thing) blackend catfish YUMMY, really a nice atmos. too!

Cindy B
07-19-2008, 03:49 PM
We went to Coral Reef for the first time last year during free dining. It was the best meal of our trip!

All four of us loved it!

kimgof
07-19-2008, 03:59 PM
We will be trying CR this Sept. I can tell you we loved the Sci Fi when we went. Great atmosphere. Go, try and see for yourself. You never know based on a review if the reviewer is being overly picky or had a bad day that day. I know people that hated restaurants that I loved. Also, a lot depends on your server too. I say go for it.:cool1:

Cindy B
07-19-2008, 08:45 PM
We went to Coral Reef for the first time last year during free dining. It was the best meal of our trip!

All four of us loved it!

ajleone
07-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Either its GREAT or its YUK !!!

On a side note: Why Would WDW allow a restaurant to have such mediocre food ????? If they do any research they would hear these reviews and make better menus or make better food......

Any opinions on that ???

In my experience here people either love or hate a restaurant, and the only way to really decide is for yourself!(but please let us know ;) ) And as for mediocre, that, to, is in the eye of the beholder. One persons "mediocre" is anothers "best meal ever". So go and sample the food and have a great time!!

Ron from Michigan
07-20-2008, 03:55 AM
We have eaten at both many times and always enjoyed them. Sci-Fi is more for the atmosphere than for the food. That being said, the food has always been average or better for us. We have always had excellent meals and service at Coral Reef. On our last visit this past December we had great meals again. The only drawback was the 40 minute wait for our table past our ADR time.

Dawn68PA
07-20-2008, 06:27 AM
We are trying Coral Reef in November. We go to Sci-Fi every trip. DD loves the ribs. We've been happy with every meal there!

bellenbuzz
07-20-2008, 08:08 AM
WOW ! Definitely mixed opinions on this one.......
We'll have to try them and form our own opinions, BUT, I sure hope we are there on the " Good Chefs" and "Great Servers" day !!!!!
I've put off these 2 restaurants our last 2 visits to WDW, time to try em' !!

I love all the reviews, its so fun to read !!!
Thanks DIS'ers !!!:grouphug:

KristinAnne
07-20-2008, 08:31 AM
I haven't been to Coral Reef, but DH and I did go to Sci-Fi in June and had a blast. We both got burgers and thought they were great. I got a vanilla coke which was really good too. Our service was perfect, and the atmosphere was a ton of fun.

TexasMinnie82
07-20-2008, 10:29 AM
I have never eaten at CR, but Sci-Fi was great!!!! We loved the food and the atmosphere! We will definetly be going back!!!!

SSRFred
07-21-2008, 12:14 PM
I am so glad the OP asked this question because we will be eating at both for the 1st time on our next trip and I was a little worried. I am looking forward to trying them.

67tink40
07-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Coral Reef-Lunch- I ad the NY Strip steak and I had had one the day before at Le Cellier. I thought it was just as good. My husband had the Mahi Mahi and really liked it as well.

Sci-Fi-Lunch-Fantastic!!! I had the ribs and my husband had the shrimp alfredo.

may_baby06
07-21-2008, 11:44 PM
we ate at sci fi and really liked it. we loved their ribs!! we will eat there again.

bellenbuzz
07-24-2008, 07:42 AM
But, I think when we try these 2 places I would pay OOP for Sci Fi......
And Do a Lunch There......
What do you think ???? And save the TS for a fancier place.....

Thanks, I really Love getting feedback !!
:beach: pixiedust:

luvthattink
07-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Haven't been to sci-fi but its one of our ressies in oct. my cousin interned down there for a couple of months and told us the boys would love it and that they had good burgers and shakes....so that is probably what we will end up eating.

As for the CR we did that last Sept. and everyone absolutely loved it. it was actually the one place that everyone said if we did a repeat restaurant that's where it would be (trying to trying new things each trip). I remember having steak that was really good it had some sort of sauce on it and the mashed potatoes were delicious. Also had my favorite dessert here, it was lighter than your average cheesecake but similar in taste and had a blackberry sauce that was delicious!

its so personal, what one likes, someone else does not. so go for the places you would like to try and see what you think and then come back here and let us know! no matter what you'll have fun and i'd rather be eating a bad meal in disney than any place else!!! :)

Tink3Bell
07-24-2008, 09:13 AM
We ate at the Coral Reef last August and it was the best meal and best service of our trip. I guess you just have to try it for yourself. Loved it and will be eating there again this year!

madcat
07-24-2008, 10:53 AM
we ate at both last year and liked them well. The Sci-FI was fun..didnt like our server too much though. The food was pretty good, it is just burgers and the like but not too bad at all. I loved CR our server there was great :thumbsup2 Oh and Sci-Fi was Cool, and I dont mean the decor I mean the temp. It was really nice to get into out of the heat

Disney_Angel
07-24-2008, 03:06 PM
Last year we had the free DDP so we made Ressies for both Scifi diner and Coral Reef.

Coral Reef ADR was for DH, DD and I. The bill came to a whopping $150.00!
Thanks for the free meal Disney! We has appy's and desert. I can tell you the ambiance was warm and friendly even though there were children. The wait staff was A+ and the steak was to die for. This is my hubby's favorite we loved it better then the coveted Le Cellier.

Scifi diner has a unique theme....the butcher steak was great. The staff were quick and even offered to take a few pics for us! DD was the driver of her car and they even gave the kids driver licenses...cute. I loved the movie trailers being shown.....I think I actually saw most of the movies as a kid on saturday afternoons PRE CABLE :lmao:

I would highly suggest BOTH places.:cool1: :cool1:

I would also suggest the 50's Prime Time. My father in his 60's LOVED IT.
The food was excellent and our waitress "Big Sister Emily" yelled at my mom for being a tattle tale. The dessert menu is on a viewmaster...remember them? Well my DD dropped it on the floor and big sister Emily said "This is why we can't have anything nice around here." LOL DD (age 6 at the time) LOVED IT!!! :cheer2:

Using the free ddp last year allowed us to test out some of the nicer places to eat in Disney.....we were so surprised. We are now hooked. We were offered the free ddp again on a bounceback and upgraded to the deluxe ddp.

Ms. WDW
07-24-2008, 03:15 PM
I happen to like the Ruben at the Sci-Fi. I had it last October on my "mommy only" trip.

Can't comment on Coral Reef personally; never been there.

patsal
07-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Ate at Sci Fi on Tuesday. It is over priced (you re paying for the atmosphere). We have not dined there in a while and the kids requested it, so burgers and fries for four as well as four milkshakes and one order of onion rings 18% tip and a 20% dde discount brought the total to $74.42. Service average, sgtrawberry shake mach not working had to change to Chocolate, onion rings ok, fries ok, burgers very good and juicy. No complaints just be prepared for the $$.

SomDayMyPrnceWillCom
07-24-2008, 07:57 PM
DD12 says she doesn't ever want to go back to Sci Fi. She hated the food there. I ordered the ribs and ended up sending them back and getting a burger instead. Definitely stick with burger, onion rings and shakes if you go.

CR on the otherhand is her favorite. We've eaten there both of our trips and she LOVES it here. This was the one restaurant she insisted we go back to this summer, but she found some new restaurants this last trip that she loves just as much now. The lobster Bisque was unbelievable and was one of my fave appies of the trip. The NY strip was good, but the one from YS was much better. The chocolate wave is a must also. DD12 had the tilapia (she's an adventurous diner and loves seafood) and enjoyed it. She LOVED LOVED the personalized menus with Mom and Daughter trip printed on it and Diver message that said Mom Loves You! They kept it a surprise too!

inkkognito
07-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Just ate at Sci-Fi, and the food was just okay but we knew that and went for the atmosphere. I had a burger and I think hubby had the pastrami. He did love the Oreo shake. Just don't go with high expectations for the meal...it's all about the ambiance.

SereneOne
07-24-2008, 08:45 PM
We love CR, best meal of our last trip. I had the blackened catfish...DELICIOUS...and my son and husband had the steak and they felt it was bettr than LC.

We do SciFi every time we go. I order the wrap with cucumber and melon salad, and my son and husband like to order shakes and burgers.

Enjoy!

englishrose47
07-24-2008, 09:06 PM
e liked Sci Fi had the dip and onion rings as appies and they were delish , the girls had steaks and loved them, I had the shrimp pasta and it was bland , they all had sundaes for desset and loved them I did not like the apple dessert but all was forgiven due to the oreo cookie milkhake whish was to die for . Next time I will order steak or a hamburger and I want the cheesecake for dessert and definately another milkshake !!!

amandals2007
07-24-2008, 11:10 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE coral reef! i went for the first time with my parents last year and they didnt want to do it because they herd the food was bad. well i herd the view is AMAZINg so i said we have to. turns out, the food AND vew were amazing! its my favorite restrauant now!

as for si fi- the food isnt the greatest but think about it, it is supposed to be like a drive in. the food isnt going to be gormet, ya know?? its supposed to be drive in food. the food isnt the greatest but it fits the scene and i just love it! i am almost 20, and i swear i could just live at disney for the rest of my life lol

tlriv5
07-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Everyone in my famiy enjoyed their meal at Coral Reef our last trip in '06. I know DH and I both got the steak and it was great. MY dd had some type of pasta with shrimp in it and she found it yummy. I can't remember what my younger dd's had they were eating off the children's menu. If my memory serves me right, we had the best dessert here, some type of chocolate cake. Heavenly and my younger too had the make their own sundae's. Too cute. Coral Reef is definitly a must try, the atmosphere is great!

We are trying Sci-fi this year. I've been worried about reviews too, but we are going for the atmosphere, my dd's think it will be fun. I don't have high expectations and I think of it more of going to the drive in to eat, not a gourmet restaurant. Have fun!

Disney_Angel
07-25-2008, 09:45 PM
I truly enjoyed both place.....food...theme....ambianace and wait staff were enjoyable.:)

gms313
07-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Le Cellier has the best steaks in WDW...hands down!!! Go...you will NOT be disappointed! It was the best meal of our entire trip!!! :yay:

emmabemmainc
07-25-2008, 10:45 PM
I've never been to Sci-Fi (although we have reservations there this Dec.), but we did go to Coral Reef last Sept.
It was OK. The best part about any of it was the Land and Sea appetizer--this was probably the best thing I ate all week--just wonderful! I loved every part of it!
There were 4 of us in our group--I had the steak--it was sort of tough and grisly (sp?)--nothing great. The potatoes with it were good though.
My mom got the crab legs--and said they were "ok".
I can't remember what my grandma got, but I don't remember her being wowed by anything.

I got the creme brule for dessert and that was decent. My mom got the layered mousse thingie--and said she couldn't taste any alcohol in it and wasn't too impressed. I guess she wanted to get drunk off the thing, I don't know! ;)

I have heard people say that when it comes to the aquarium wall, there are no bad seats in the house--but, we had the top row (by the back wall) and to be honest, I was disappointed. My 6 year old daughter was with us and I really felt like she was cheated. We could see everything, but it was sort of far away and I would have loved to have sat closer, but oh well.
Also--we showed up around 15-10 minutes early for our reservations and waited for over an hour. NOT COOL. We actually ended up sitting on the carpet, against the wall in the long lobby--there were so many people waiting.

I guess I was just expecting something better--it sucks when you have high expectations!

I have to admit though, when my daughter and I go back in Dec.--we do have a lunch reservation there--per my daughter's request. :rotfl: What we do for our children! LOL!

*KeepMovingForward*
07-26-2008, 09:20 AM
I haven't read all the responses, but we have been to both. We love Sci-Fi, but we go for the atmosphere and the food is good, nothing outrageous and nothing terrible IMO. Coral Reef my DD loves, but the rest of us can do without it-again, nothing outrageous and nothing terrible...it was just okay food to us, but we'd rather eat at another TS over CR. The fish are nice, but they don't mean that much that we'd run back.

SheenaXena21
07-26-2008, 12:15 PM
I've been to Coral Reef for the past 3 vacations and going again this vacation. We didn't have a very good waiter last year, but we all thought that the food is excellent! Not been to Sci-Fi, but I LOVE Coral Reef!!!

Cinderella&Dopey
07-26-2008, 12:58 PM
We went to both CR and Sci-Fi for lunch in Feb. We enjoyed both for lunch. I LOVE the polenta on the land and sea and wish I could get the recipe! Sci-Fi was fun and a nice break from the park! We will be going back to both in Feb!

mickeyluv'r
07-26-2008, 02:11 PM
We ate at Coral Reef in March. Great food, and a GREAT server! Everything was wonderful! My folks were very impressed. the steak was excellent, the crab legs were very good. The lobster bisque was very good. My seafood pasta was very good, not amazing, but very good.

The best dessert is the wave.

I've never tied Sci-Fi. I understand the burger and shakes are pretty good. Mostly we do QS lunches when we go to HS, and then leave before dinner time. The one TS place we have dined is the Prime Time. We had so much fun there that when we do TS in that park we tend to go back.

As far as any polls go, don't count of them....In past polls, almost every place got listed....I think V &A's was the one exception.

Brian Noble
07-26-2008, 02:23 PM
I had lunch at Coral Reef this past February. The tilapia was quite good, but somehow reminiscent of a mid-90s take on the dish---I couldn't tell you why though. Our service was quite good too, despite being a bit more "personal" than you'd expect at that price point.

Sci Fi is basic pub food. With that expectation, it will generally be fine. The food is not the reason to go, but it's not bad.

Both are places I'd be happy to return to, but there are other places we haven't tried yet that might come first.