PDA

View Full Version : jumped the shark?

wildeoscar
07-09-2008, 05:04 PM
not sure how to put this with out sounding like a naysayer saying nay but...

Is anyone else puzzled by the new direction of the show?

Long interviews with folks promoting product & a rant that is pretty hotly political when Pete had stated controversial political rants were to be avoided. I have been listening on my drive home from camping in the mountains, and while I understand that all things change... just not sure that things seem as fun and light hearted as they used to? Or am I just not getting it after sleeping in a tent on a mountain for a week?

MenashaCorp
07-09-2008, 05:15 PM
IMHO - Bawb was so integral, I think we should expect some "finding a direction" pains. They can't possibly be as lighthearted as before *yet*, and Bawb was the spark for so much of that in the past.

On the up side, more prizes!! (Many Disney podcasts shill for their product but don't give away stuff), a less isolationist approach regarding the online Disney community and other podcasts...

For my part, I'm for giving them the benefit of the doubt for a time. These people, especially Pete, have shown their integrity over and over. Drive back safely! :flower3:

maidenfairy
07-09-2008, 05:28 PM
[QUOTE=MenashaCorp;26131909]IMHO - Bawb was so integral, I think we should expect some "finding a direction" pains. They can't possibly be as lighthearted as before *yet*, and Bawb was the spark for so much of that in the past.

I agree it is growing pains. They will bring it all back around just give it time.

Tonya2426
07-09-2008, 05:51 PM
I enjoyed the Kevin Yee interview today - but I do have to say that one of the reasons I love the DIS Unplugged podcast so much is because of interaction of the podcasters and all of their chit chat. I am just not sure I want a long interview every week - every so often would suit me just fine.

UrsulasShadow
07-09-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't see how this rant is any different from any other Pete Rant, wildeoscar. It is within the bounds of Disney news, as it is a political statement made by a grandstanding employee of Disney that we're really talking about here. Add in the fact that visitors to the Orlando area might want to be made aware that that grumpy employee waiting on you at the Super Walmart in Davenport could be packing, and it is very appropriate news.

The rant portion of it is something I look forward to. This is a podcast. The podcasters are entitled to their opinion, and can advertise anything they like. When I think about how much money they give away every week, I'm amazed they haven't plugged their supporters more heavily.

*NikkiBell*
07-09-2008, 05:55 PM
I was actually just thinking about the change in the show this afternoon. After seeing yet another interview with an outside party, I am undecided as to whether or not I like it yet. I think ideally I prefer the crew sitting around talking about Disney. A caller/interview here and there is okay, but I wouldn't want to have that every week.

Carolinagal
07-09-2008, 06:18 PM
I came to the party late, in early April, and after Bawb's passing took the opportunity to download and listen to ALL available podcasts to date, in the space of a couple of weeks. :eek:

What I have noticed is that the podcast has changed its personality over time, an impression probably due in large part to my increasing familiarity with the cast. I think by listening to all the podcasts one after another I really noticed the changes in the show more readily. Losing Bawb seemed to make the entire podcast "mature" - I'm not sure we would be able to go back now if we wanted to.

I am enjoying the changes, and find myself not-so-patiently waiting until the show goes up each week to find out what my virtual "friends" are up to. I am enjoying the interviews tremendously, and have had positive experiences from both parties (I've used Jane's Pixies in the past a couple of times very successfully, and love MiceAge.com!). I would not want all segments to be for people only for people trying to sell the service or product, but feel comfortable that the gang will make sure the podcasts don't turn in to paid advertisements.

With new folks joining, I am sure we will continue to see changes as the group finds their collective voice - I'll stay tuned.

(and I love to hear a patented "Pete Rant" anytime I can!!) :thumbsup2

Allison
07-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Jumped the shark-absolutely not in my opinion. If this is a new direction, then I think they are doing something right.

I thought the show today was great. Actually, I've enjoyed all the shows very much recently.

robertgp124
07-09-2008, 06:33 PM
It's been a long day, so my brain may be a bit off. Have there been that many long interviews? No disrespect intended, Rex - they just don't register in my memory. I looked at the archives, too and didn't see any jump at me.

My ten cents - I've really grown to love the email show lately. I'm a person who will get up out of my seat and forcefully turn the tv off when a call in show airs. Dislike talk radio call ins. But the email shows and the call in show that have been put up over the past few weeks struck me as particularly good.

Disneybridein2k3
07-09-2008, 06:46 PM
I haven't heard this week's show yet and am really crossing my fingers that Pete and I are on the same page on the stupid Disney employee issue. I'm also not sure who they interviewed this week but was actually hoping they would interview Scott Mitchell from Twisney and am really looking forward to the previously promised interview with CMO Justin Muchoney. Last week's interview with Jane was to help out some listeners with planning special events so it all works out. Keep listening WO, keep listening...they are still our favorite imaginary friends. Hakuna Matata.

Iggipolka
07-09-2008, 06:54 PM
I totally love Pete's rants! He cracks me up with how passionate he is about certain things - finger scanners come to mind. ;)

Long interviews are good, once in awhile. I liked listening to Jane and the nifty stuff she does with Gifts Of A Lifetime. I do like hearing more from the podcast crew than from outside vendors though.

Jumped the shark? Na....like the rest of us, the podcast is a work in process.

BellaOfTheWorld
07-09-2008, 07:37 PM
I don't think the show has "jumped the shark" (which is a pretty disrespectful thing to say, I think). And while Bawb is missed, of course, I believe it's as good as ever - I continue to look forward to its releases every week.

metalis4ever
07-09-2008, 07:50 PM
While I do not have much to campare it to as I am a fairly new listener I quite enjoy everything about the Podcast. I love the insight that each individual provides and I thought the interview today was great...As far as an increase in advertisements and interviews that is part of the business they have to pay the bills without those we wouldnt have them so its a give and take much like the discussion regarding on the podcast reagrding the increase in prices of products and services provided by Disney are necissary to promote a healthy business.

I don't get why anyone would even accuse them of "jumping the Shark" unless its the giving away $1000's of dollars worth of prizes to their own listeners Shark.

rlduvall
07-09-2008, 08:03 PM
I don't get why anyone would even accuse them of "jumping the Shark" unless its the giving away $1000's of dollars worth of prizes to their own listeners Shark.

Well, actually the OP won a Podcast Cruise himself by stalking Pete at Universal one night. :goodvibes Sharkboy . . . I mean Wildeoscar is a stand-up guy who really respects the Podcast Team and I know he meant no disrespect with his comment. :worship:

tjevans
07-09-2008, 08:04 PM
Add in the fact that visitors to the Orlando area might want to be made aware that that grumpy employee waiting on you at the Super Walmart in Davenport could be packing, and it is very appropriate news.

[I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I assume the rant was over the cast member who brought a firearm in his car]

It all depends on where the visitors are from. Where I live, firearms are a --I don't want to say "common" -- ordinary part of the culture, and, by state law, one may carry it in their vehicle without a conceal and carry permit. I'm more surprised to find someone doesn't have a weapon in their car.

tinkbutt
07-09-2008, 09:31 PM
I love the pod cast and am willing to wait while they "iron out" the wrinkles ;)

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!

cocowum
07-09-2008, 09:41 PM
I thought it was a great show. I loved the rant.

What I especially liked was the different opinions. When I listen to the podcast I really feel like I'm listening in on a group of my friends.

I found myself agreeing with Kevin, while DH shares Corey's views. I loved the way John comes in with his soothing voice and keeps things even keel. :goodvibes

The only thing I didn't like was that it ended. ;)

TheTXTaylors5
07-09-2008, 09:41 PM
:goodvibes Like mentioned, Wideoscar is a big fan of the Podcast Crew and I don't think meant anything negative with his OP. The new shows are a BIG change from what they've been doing all these years. The new format will take some getting use to for the die-hard DISUnplugged Podcast listeners. It is different, but I like it and will continue to listen and go with the flow of all the changes. They've got all kinds of new gadgets and phone lines. You can't give a man toys like those and not expect him to use them. ;)

The only thing I didn't like was that it ended. ;)
I get that feeling too. I'm like "that's it?". I want more! I could sit here and listen about Disney and idle chit chat (Roundtable Discussion) for hours. One thing I would like is maybe a longer show.

- Jennifer

WaltD4Me
07-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Now see, I didn't really think of that as a political rant. It wasn't like Pete was taking one side or the other on gun control, he was commenting on what he thought could turn into a dangerous situation and he was siding with Disney on not allowing the employees to have guns in their cars. I honestly didn't see it as political.

As for the interviews, I have to say I agree with you on that, but it isn't a dissatisfaction with Jane or Kevin Yee, I enjoyed hearing from both of them actually, but in the back of my mind I was also missing the Round Table Discussion. I love how the team interacts and when you bring in an interview, even though I might enjoy it, I also feel like it's less time I get to hear from the podcast crew.

That being said, I think we are ALL adjusting and having growing pains. The team is trying out some new things. Some will work, some won't. Some will like the changes, some won't, but we need to give everything a chance to find all that out.

wildeoscar
07-09-2008, 10:58 PM
yeah, to clarify... still a fan. just that the long form interview needs more of the crew chit chat or something. or sound effects. Dunno. something about it seems more scripted I guess.

Don't get me wrong on the rants... they can be fun. But this is a really touchy subject, lots of passion on both sides. The guy was standing up for what he believes, pretty sure the U.S. was founded on that principle.

WebmasterPete
07-09-2008, 11:36 PM
I do appreciate the feedback. There's no way for me to improve the show without constructive criticism, and that's how I took Rex's OP.

As I mentioned after Bob's passing, we are going to be making on going changes to the show. Some of that will be inviting guests onto the show - right now that's in the format of phone interviews. Some of that will be having Will or Walter participate when appropriate. All of this was planned before Bob died, and as I mentioned before I was implementing this stuff a lot quicker than I had planned as a result. As I do with anything on the show, I'll take the feedback from our listeners and use it to adjust and improve our format.

Also, I think it's important that I clarify that I have no financial relationship with either Jane Cartelli or Kevin Yee. Their inclusion on the show was because I felt (and feel strongly) that they offer something different and unique to our listeners. Jane presents a wonderful option for a question we get asked more than any other - how can I plan a unique event for my husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend/parents/family, etc. I had asked Kevin Yee to come on the show a few months ago, but the timing was delayed in light of recent events. If I'm interviewing anyone on the show and I have a financial interest in it, I will always disclose that and always have.

As far as my rant this week being political, I disagree. I was not having a discussion on the merits of the second amendment, we're talking about Disney cast members being allowed to carry guns to work. I try and focus the content of our show to those topics important to anyone planning a trip to Disney World - which is why we don't do movie reviews or talk about other aspects of Disney not related to the parks. If I were living back in New Jersey visiting WDW in this day and age - I'd definately want to know if the staff was armed. I realize that my opinion might be divisive, but as I've always said, if you don't want to hear opinions, this is the wrong show to listen to :)

Pete

two-foxes
07-10-2008, 12:17 AM
Jumping the shark, to me, means that the podcast will be seeing its end and losing it's faithful audience. Not gonna happen. And no offense, but Pete is no Arthur Fonzarelli. But, I do see where wildeoscar is coming from. As a listener from literally day one, I have seen (or heard), weekly in real time, the evolution of the podcast, and wondered what direction they were headed on more than one occasion. Some of those directions I didn't care for so much....just don't ask me what they are now, because I couldn't tell you (except for the sound machine...didn't like it the first show, but love it now.) They have just melded in to the podcast that I get ticked off at if it isn't up at o-dark-thirty when I drag my butt outta bed. :love: I am not a fan of the interviews yet, and that is just after listening to Jean's drawn out interview from last week (and I LOVE Jean.) But, I will soon take that as part of the podcast and I will be irritated if those end, I am sure.

Cool-Beans
07-10-2008, 12:57 AM
1. It's Pete's show. If he wants to rant, he can rant. I haven't even heard the podcast in question and don't know what he said yet. But it doesn't matter. I usually agree with Pete, but I doubt I'd agree with him on the gun thing. Something tells me he's in the "guns are bad" group. I was there, too, once upon a time and don't harbor ill will toward those folks (even though I think they're dead wrong.) We all have our own opinions on that and they all come from good places in the heart.

2. It is more fun when someone else counters it and says, "No way, Jose! You're so wrong about that."

3. They need another person, someone to tease. Not a lot of people are good sports about it...you have to see the silliness of yourself and yet still believe you are right - enough to defend your position in order to accept the teasing. And you have to genuinely like the people teasing you and know that they like you.

Bob can't be replaced. So, there's no point in trying that. But another, different kind of person can come in and do their own thing. Kind of like when "Coach" on Cheers died. They brought in Woody. He was no "Coach" but he brought his own spin on things.

Didn't like "calling Regina" becaue it was just odd - you could tell she was on the phone. I do think it would be hilarious if they just called random people and asked them random Disney-related questions and then ragged on them for not knowing or giving an answer the podcast team didn't like. I thought that's what they were going to do. THAT would be funny.

I like guests. And extra stuff. I like the stuff with Corey and Julie and think they should jump out of a plane. I even liked the race car thing and am not a fan of Nascar at all. I was so with whoever it was that said, "I got lost when you said..." :rotfl: But it is great to have people who know what something is about and people who don't. That way, the listeners who are getting lost have someone in there saying, "What the heck are you talking about?" for them. :)

It's fun to hear about new Disney stuff. And people ARE always asking about what they can do for Loved One who is celebrating This That Thing. So, I think the chick who does stuff is well worth an inclusion.

I think the DIS and the podcast actually do LESS plugging of Dreams Unlimited than they ought to do. Half the people on the boards don't even know what DU is or who owns it. I personally felt MUCH better booking my first offsite trip through them, because I 99% trusted them to not offer something that would be horrid. If they did more plugging...more saying, "Hey, it's us. We run it. You can trust us," I think they'd get more business. I would if I were them. I can't believe people would have a problem with that. :crazy: If it were your business, wouldn't you?

And I enjoy Pete's rants. They're fun. When I agree (usually), I'm all "You go, boyee!" And when I don't, I'm all, "Oh, what is Pete thinking?" But either way, it is entertaining. I also like the way his accent changes. It's like Ricky Ricardo slipping into Spanish or something.

Rant away, Pete. :)

PrincessBelle39
07-10-2008, 05:23 AM
Just wanted to add my thoughts. I have quite enjoyed the interviews. I like that it brought something different to the podcasts. I actually found myself looking forward to the Jane Cartelli interview and felt it lived up to my anticipation.

luna99
07-10-2008, 06:38 AM
I for one like a good debate... political or not... so that issue does not bother me at all.

as for the long interviews ... I haven't listened to Kevin Yee just yet so I can't comment.. but I did love the Jane interview.. I thought it was really interesting and fun and gave me some great ideas.

So there may be a segment of the podcast that you don't like as much as other parts.. is that going to stop you from listening to the show? I doubt it. We will always hear the crew chatting and cutting up on one another sooner or later... so just enjoy the ride is what I say!!!

thanks everyone for the great podcast!! :thumbsup2

bannermouse
07-10-2008, 06:55 AM
The only constant in life is change. I have listened to the Podcasts for approx 1 1/2 years and have greatly enjoyed 99% of the content of every podcast. Even the points I might disagree on, I enjoy listening to. As for Pete's "rants", they are one of the things I most enjoy about the podcasts.
Listening to someone speak passionately about something they believe in is something I enjoy. On a less serious note I also absolutely love Kevin's reviews (rants) on restaurants when he receives poor service or food.

I do also enjoy the Podcasts positive comments and as I have send in the past, this is my favorite Podcast and will listen to it for many years to come.

thanks for continuing the Podcast, guys.....

Bannermouse

DVCJones
07-10-2008, 09:08 AM
IMHO, I like the changes in the show. In particular, I really liked learning about Jane Cartelli and her business. I never knew this was available. I thought it was informational and probably very helpful to a lot of listeners who are looking for something special to do while visiting WDW. I definitely see the connection it has with the show.

I think the call-in shows have a lot of potential. It also is a nice way for listeners to add to the show.

Like with all change, It takes a bit of time to adjust. I personally look forward to watching the show evolve and grow. Keep up the GREAT work.

aaronmckie
07-10-2008, 09:42 AM
I agree, I loved hearing from Kevin and Jane... but I can also see how it can be a bit jarring for some to go from a fun roundtable discussion to a much more traditional interview format.
I like the changes (even the rant; no-one tops you, Pete! :laughing: ) and am enjoying the show just as much now as when I first started. :thumbsup2

snoopywoodstockus
07-10-2008, 09:48 AM
The term isn't "Jumped the Shark" anymore. The new term is "Nuked the Fridge" fromt he newest Indiana Jones flick.

I think it is still great. I love that it is constantly evolving podcast. I would like to request an AAC version. This could include chapters, pictures and other information. That way if you don't want to listen to the interview, segment or particular email you can just skip it. Check out the 10th Wonder podcast (podcast for the show Heroes on NBC) on Itunes for a great example of one works.

Hey Pete, get Will on that willya. ;)

wildeoscar
07-10-2008, 11:41 AM
nuked the fridge... gotcha.

not ment to be negative, just saying it feels really different. When Julie does/did the stuff on weddings... I am so not interested in weddings, but I enjoyed it cause of the interaction and discussion of the crew and now I know how to spend that $30,000 I have laying around for a rainy day. With the gifts baskets of joy adventure thing... I am so not into gift baskets, and with out the crew interaction it just seemed flat. I can see where folks wanna do something special and the baskets thing is great for that (and yeah I caught they do a lot more than baskets).

The Kevin Yee thing, I was driving and knew that it was gonna be a long form interview, so I switched over to the Goth/Psychobilly light opera touring company on Satellite radio. I'll put on that while folding laundry or something, those swim suits are not gonna fold themselves.

And I guess the hair I wanna split is... This doesn't make it legal for people to take a gun into work. but that the law is ment to protect the avg. person from repercussions from their employer from having a firearm properly locked in their car. Crazy people will always be crazy, law or not will not change that. reasonable people can disagree.

tinkerbellblondie19
07-10-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm a bit behind on listening, but even before Bob's passing the show was taking a different direction. The thing that's been bugging me is that the show is getting a little redundant in talking about planning your trips and just the basics, especially on the email shows, where the questions are repetitive and always, should I eat here or here, how long to get from here to here, etc. While these topics do need to be covered, they've taken over the show a lot, and while picking out and discussing the irreverant details about things around the World used to be a fairly big part of the show, it's fading into the background now.

Note that the changes in the show aren't what's stopping me from listening, I've just forgotten what spare time is.

HallsInTheKingdom
07-10-2008, 11:56 AM
I will agree, that there is less giggling while listening on my part in the recent podcast. But I too, think it will not be long before they get their "giggle on":rotfl2: . Not only that they have been playing musicals chairs too, Will, Walter and Kevin & John being on a cruise.

Keep the info coming, listening to the Christmas in July series really makes me start planning for an early Dec trip, Only 122 days till MVMCP.

calypso*a*go-go
07-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Okay first of all let me tell you that I have the attention span of a gnat...for me, the recent interviews were very informative and although I did enjoy hearing what Jane and Kevin Yee had to say, I kind of found myself struggling to stay interested.

What I love about the DIS Unplugged podcast is the playful banter between the crew, you don't get that as much when most of the show is centered around a phone interview in which the "regulars" are not really speaking or interjecting their thoughts or opinions. Personally, I would probably fast-forward through a lot of the interview portions if they continue to be a regular part of the podcast.

I know the podcast is in a transition phase and I look forward to getting to know it's newest member, Teresa, but hope the group doesn't become disconnected from their audience by trying to get too "sophisticated" by taking away what we truly love the most which is just them...being themselves.(probably not the best grammar, but does that make sense?).

mommyceratops
07-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Rex....honest Rex....stalker Rex....The man who got a free cruise.... :lmao: :lmao:

JMO-Personally I like the interviews they are different and informative. I listened yesterday at work and I loved it! It helped me get through a busy day with soemthing nice in it! I learned a lot from both of the interviews, Disney related and new ideas!

I liked the gun rant they really held a lot of views and respected everyones different view. One thing I love about the crew...guns is something people have not agreed on in the US for hundreds of years....It was fitting for the show and tied in to the topic of Disney. Not like Pete said Ok for housekeeping lets discuss the war or abortion.

I work in a school and recently went through some safety training, it is scary...I thought they had some good discussion about it.

An issue US will needs to agree to disagree on, and we just need to figure out how to protect people from harm....

soupy11
07-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Not a huge fan of the interviews...skipped the dreams of a lifetime one, could not get into it at all. The great thing is, you can just fast forward if you aren't grabbed. Although, I do miss the roundtable stuff. Less interviews !! MORE mockery and abuse please!!!!!

I do have to give Pete credit though, even though he pimps these other services available, he is open, upfront and honest about it so it really doesn't come across as "commercialized". It would be nice if they skipped them entirely though and kept the show centered around the crews amazing personalities and keen wit and immense knowledge. Julie's voice is my power juice and gets me to my 7 min/mile pace !!!! :lovestruc

I still love the show and it gets me through my 6 mile runs nicely! And the fact that they read the boards and comment on them is a big plus.......

robertgp124
07-10-2008, 01:49 PM
I really would love it if Pete could do the AAC suggestion from earlier, so that bookmarks, etc. could be incorporated. I know it's more work, but it would be the supremo bit of niceness. :)

Allison
07-10-2008, 02:16 PM
JMO-Personally I like the interviews they are different and informative. I listened yesterday at work and I loved it! It helped me get through a busy day with soemthing nice in it! I learned a lot from both of the interviews, Disney related and new ideas!

I really liked the interviews too. They were very informative and interesting.

Jubilee
07-10-2008, 02:45 PM
I like interviews too....while I like all the personalities on the show (and I'm sure some of you who have been listening much longer really love these guys) I do like to hear Disney related stuff as well, not just banter. I think this show has a good mix of both! :thumbsup2

WaltD4Me
07-10-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm a bit behind on listening, but even before Bob's passing the show was taking a different direction. The thing that's been bugging me is that the show is getting a little redundant in talking about planning your trips and just the basics, especially on the email shows, where the questions are repetitive and always, should I eat here or here, how long to get from here to here, etc. While these topics do need to be covered, they've taken over the show a lot, and while picking out and discussing the irreverant details about things around the World used to be a fairly big part of the show, it's fading into the background now.

Note that the changes in the show aren't what's stopping me from listening, I've just forgotten what spare time is.

Interesting. I just started listening in Janurary of this year, so I've gone back and listened to all the previous podcasts, I listened to all of them now and I
remember being surprised that there wasn't much repetition. I mean there is some, they are always getting new listeners and they ask repeat questions, but for the most part, especially since Disney is constantly changing, even if you do get a repeat question, you don't always get a repeat answer. The only thing I can actually remember being repeated is info on the hard ticket parties. They don't change all that much so that info does get repeated, but you have to report on those every year. (MNSSHP, MVMCP, ect...)

pixeydust
07-10-2008, 03:21 PM
Love the show, and I have really enjoyed these interviews! The podcast brings me close to the magic every week and gives me access to information that serves to increase my knowledge about Disney going-ons, make trips to Disney more exciting and less stressful, and helps me spend my vacation dollars wisely! Thanks podcast crew! :flower3:

Disneybridein2k3
07-10-2008, 04:00 PM
I will agree, that there is less giggling while listening on my part in the recent podcast. But I too, think it will not be long before they get their "giggle on":rotfl2: . Maybe, but I was close to running off the road when Corey suggested lighter fluid and hair spray as protection on Wednesdays show. :lmao:

I really would love it if Pete could do the AAC suggestion from earlier, so that bookmarks, etc. could be incorporated. I know it's more work, but it would be the supremo bit of niceness. :) I believe the last time someone asked for this the answer was edited already takes forever and if you ask for something else that prolongs the editing process, the show will be delayed even more. :rolleyes: We all opted (like we had a choice!) for the show to be sooner rather than later.

And I guess the hair I wanna split is... This doesn't make it legal for people to take a gun into work. but that the law is ment to protect the avg. person from repercussions from their employer from having a firearm properly locked in their car. Crazy people will always be crazy, law or not will not change that. reasonable people can disagree.
Rex, Rex, Rex...I really hate to be sitting on the opposite side of the fence from you. Well, I guess I can still pass the drinks over the fence.

wildeoscar
07-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Rex, Rex, Rex...I really hate to be sitting on the opposite side of the fence from you. Well, I guess I can still pass the drinks over the fence.

Reasonable people can disagree, a lot of people like the interviews, there are a lot of things I am liberal on and conservative on that don't follow a pattern... who knew Corey was building his own bunker? My side of the fence has cookies.

KelpSeaweedKelp
07-10-2008, 05:42 PM
Julie's voice is my power juice

I just shot Diet Coke out of my nose reading that.:banana:

happy2go2wdwmom
07-10-2008, 10:26 PM
IMHO, I think the show needs more cowbell.

lttlmc3
07-11-2008, 06:54 AM
I really don't mind the interviews, but I do agree they shouldn't be every week. Maybe a once a month thing. However, I find it odd that some people are saying the show is a bit repetitive and while they are doing something different, some people are complaining. Just goes to show, you can't please everyone all the time. I love the show and would be devastated if it stopped.

Disneybridein2k3
07-11-2008, 07:38 AM
My side of the fence has cookies.
Mmmmmm....cooooooookies.

Launchpad11B
07-11-2008, 07:41 AM
who knew Corey was building his own bunker? My side of the fence has cookies.

I'm a "bunker" guy myself! Cookies are great but lets throw some pie into the mix!:thumbsup2 There's always room for pie.:cool1:

halliesmommy01
07-11-2008, 07:58 AM
I'm a "bunker" guy myself! Cookies are great but lets throw some pie into the mix!:thumbsup2 There's always room for pie.:cool1:

Oh I thought there was always room for Jello. LOL :rotfl:

Becky

Launchpad11B
07-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Oh I thought there was always room for Jello. LOL :rotfl:

Becky

Lets compromise and say there's always room for DESSERT!:thumbsup2

WebmasterPete
07-11-2008, 08:24 AM
The thing that's been bugging me is that the show is getting a little redundant in talking about planning your trips and just the basics, especially on the email shows, where the questions are repetitive and always, should I eat here or here, how long to get from here to here, etc. While these topics do need to be covered, they've taken over the show a lot, and while picking out and discussing the irreverant details about things around the World used to be a fairly big part of the show, it's fading into the background now.

When was 'picking out and discussing the irreverant [sic] details' of WDW the main focus of our show? The show has always been about an honest approach to trip planning first and foremost, and I'm fairly certain we've been pretty clear on that.

Peter

tinkbutt
07-11-2008, 08:43 AM
When was 'picking out and discussing the irreverant [sic] details' of WDW the main focus of our show? The show has always been about an honest approach to trip planning first and foremost, and I'm fairly certain we've been pretty clear on that.

Peter

to me you are very clear on everything you guys stand for!!! I have only been around since march of this year and have listened to all the shows several times and the only repetitive question seems to be "are the parties worth it?":laughing: Anyway I do think the show is transforming and finding its own way with out Bob and trying to make the Ideas work that were thought up before Bob's passing.

as for the rant I thought it was typical Pete, not political but his opinion on his own safety! I know that I side with him, we don't need to add a gun to the equation of mad workers on the commute home and road rage!!! some people out there don't know how to handle a gun and shouldn't while others are perfectly able to store and only use the gun for hunting and protection, not for anger management!

love the show!

TXYankee
07-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Speaking of sharks...
SHARK WEEK premieres July 27 to Aug. 2, 2008 on the Discovery chanel, featuring six all-new programs along with some of SHARK WEEK's most popular and memorable shows from past years. Maybe one of the new shows will be about jumping sharks!

I don't know if the Food Network has anything planned for a series on the Frig and nuking it.

Personally I think the Podcast is well worth the cost of admission. Just like Discovery and Food TV I get much more value from the Podcast then the price I paid!!!

Thank you Podcast Crew.

calypso*a*go-go
07-11-2008, 09:57 AM
Personally I think the Podcast is well worth the cost of admission. Just like Discovery and Food TV I get much more value from the Podcast then the price I paid!!!

Thank you Podcast Crew.

Excellent point! :thumbsup2

SamIAm21
07-11-2008, 10:04 AM
Excellent point! :thumbsup2

You know calypso, I didn't catch that at first, but now I do get it and TxYankee is absolutely right. Aside from the cost of my iPod, I get 2+ hours of great information and entertainment each week for FREE. Sometimes, it's the only belly-laughs I get all week. You know, the tears streaming down the face type laughter. And laughing is good for you. So, the podcast actually improves my mental and physical well-being. So much for so very little. :love:

Thanks podcast crew!

aGoofyMom
07-11-2008, 10:45 AM
I like watching the podcast change & grow. I think it is very true that the timing of the changes relative to Bob's passing makes them seem larger than life.

Love the rants - keep 'em coming! I can't speak to this particular topic (if I have a bunker do I have to remember to lock the front door? Not that I am opposed to guns/whatever - just Canadian;) ) I get a lot from hearing the opinions of the round table as well as everyone here.

two-foxes
07-11-2008, 12:21 PM

Peter

Okay, a bit off topic, but what does this mean.... [sic] ???? I am supposing I should know, but read it constantly and still have no clue. I am almost feeling stupid, but my curiousity and need to finally know after years of wondering is winning over my embarrassment!

TXYankee
07-11-2008, 12:32 PM
Okay, a bit off topic, but what does this mean.... [sic] ???? I am supposing I should know, but read it constantly and still have no clue. I am almost feeling stupid, but my curiousity and need to finally know after years of wondering is winning over my embarrassment!

sic • \’sik\ adverb [Latin] (circa 1859): intentionally so written — used after a printed word or passage to indicate that it is exactly as printed or to indicate that it exactly reproduces an original (Ex. Tom said he seed [sic] it all).

rlduvall
07-11-2008, 12:37 PM

To expound on what TXYankee is saying: in other words, the poster misspelled irreverent. This is a word you never want to see after something you have written - lol.

Disneybridein2k3
07-11-2008, 01:39 PM
TXYankee, LOL on the shark week info!
Did I mention I like cookies??? :goodvibes
The show is fabulous and since no one has mentioned it (even though it may have been off-color to some) Pete completely caught me off guard with the Christmas comment about Morocco - I totally wasn't expecting it and laughed out loud (but unfortunately I was listening with my earbuds in so everyone around thought I was nuts). Thankfully when Corey was making blow torches with hairspray, I was in the car alone :lmao:
I'll be honest - you guys could be talking about almost anything and I'd listen - it really doesn't have to be Disney. I just love the camaraderie between everyone.

Disneybridein2k3
07-11-2008, 01:40 PM
To expound on what TXYankee is saying: in other words, the poster misspelled irreverent. This is a word you never want to see after something you have written - lol.
That is what www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com) is for :goodvibes

cslittle999
07-11-2008, 07:08 PM
IMHO, I think the show needs more cowbell.
Can't go wrong with more cowbell. :rotfl2:

drakethib
07-11-2008, 07:15 PM
I am not going to be happy until I hear Pete get really pissed about a topic with Disney and then we hear him throw a chair across the room. :lmao:

I like the guest and I like the new format of the show.

I think having outside opinions is a good idea as long as we don't always hear a big "rah rah" Disney all of the time. Call the shots as you guys see them and as you have done in the past.

Bob will never be able to be replaced and I think there will always be some void in the show, but IMHO the Podcast crew always have and I think always will do one hell of a Podcast.

Keep up the good work group.

DisDarling
07-11-2008, 08:13 PM
I LOVE the show and it feels good to keep listening with the podcast because after Bob's passing, the podcast and the disboards were a comforting family that my "other" family didn't understand. I feel like we all have been through something, and you always come out of a sad event with different eyes and different hearts. I am here for the long run, keep up the great work! :goodvibes

Amy

checkwriter
07-11-2008, 09:28 PM
As Walt famously said "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

Pete and company are clearly thinking along these lines. Not everything that Disney tries works. Sometimes it needs tinkering, sometimes it's a bad idea, and sometimes it works right out of the box.

It's easy to stay with what works, until one day you wake up and it's no longer fun or interesting. Far better that the crew keep pushing themselves, and the audience, with new directions.

I'm along for the ride. It's like when I cook for my spouse's family (eight siblings, plus significant others and kids). I'm not going to please everybody, so I don't try. I just try to do my best.

jpeka65844
07-15-2008, 12:40 PM
I was reading some internet gossip and apparently, the new euphemism for "jumped the shark" is "nuked the fridge."

For those of you who've seen the new Indiana Jones movie, you know what I mean. :happytv:

And I don't think the show's nuked the fridge.

deide71
07-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Hmmmm...

Interesting thought, but I have to respectfully disagree.

I really enjoyed the Kevin Yee interview. It is not like there is a financial relationship between the site and Mr Yee's blog. I found him to be a very interesting guest, and have subsequently enjoyed reading his blog.

As for the rant...it seems Pete tries to temper his opinions most of the time, but from time to time a rant slips out. I actually enjoy them, but I am VERY difficult to offend. I did notice the discomfort among some of the other members of the Podcast crew that didn't see eye to eye with Pete, and their interaction seemed quite genuine, not rehersed or over edited or produced.

I know how hard it must have been for the OP to start this thread. From reading this board I can tell he has been an ardent supporter of the podcast for quite a while. He took a big risk airing his opinion and I respect him for it. I am so impressed with the people on this board for the thoughtful discussion on this thread.

The Podcast took quite a hit with the loss of Bob (as we all know), and will likely take a while to find it's rhythm again. I will continue to listen, a bit wistfully, and enjoy the segments as I always have.

TigerTown
07-15-2008, 03:47 PM
... It is not like there is a financial relationship between the site and Mr Yee's blog.

This is an interesting comment to me as it seems many people think along these lines.

Not trying to pick on you deide ;) but I honestly believe people forget that without "financial relationships" these boards wouldn’t exist. I realize this is just my opinion and it is not shared by many but I would be fine with a sponsor interview once in a while. I would be upset if the show turned into a paid infomercial but I have no issues with an interview every now and then.

I think it’s crazy that Pete always has to say “We have no financial relationship with these people”. As long as the information is on topic, helpful, and informative I don’t care if they have financial relationship.

jacstangler
07-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Hey Pete & Company I know you are reading the comments. I don't say
much but I must say my piece. You are doing a great job. I loved the
show in the past and love it now. I appreciate everything you do. I met
all of you and you have become one group of good friends to many. I
realize what a big job it is to put this together along with a blog. Yes I
don't care about all of the conversation or emails, but that happens with
any conversation we have. I have learned something new every week from
each podcast. I have listened to many podcasts and to me you
are the best. Others may think differently but I bet many think like me. I
can't wait to go on the cruise as I know you are working behind the scenes
to make it memorable to everyone. Thank you for all you do and don't be
afraid to try something new.

John

Jennygt
07-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Perhaps someone is just:stir: ?? no offenese.

SamSam
07-15-2008, 11:29 PM
I have to say I was a little taken back by this thread. Just 2 days ago, as I was running and listening to last weeks podcast, I thought what a great job the team has done fillling the Bawb void. Yes, I miss 'Bawb", but the podcast has continued to be something I love listening to each week. I was afraid with Bawb's passing that I would not enjoy the podcast as much but Pete and the rest of the team have done a wonderful job of continuing to produce a podcast that is informative, fun, down to earth, personable and simply a joy to listen to.
I enjoy Pete's rants, I like all the information (and understand the repeat stuff;afterall, there are new listeners), I LOVE the interaction between the 'team'.

DebbieT11
07-16-2008, 12:20 AM
I'm agreeing that the direction of the podcast has changed.... but we knew that was planned before we lost Bob.

Do we all love the new direction? Probably not, but then, not everyone loved the OLD direction either! It's a case of "never gonna please all the people all the time."

Be true, be comfortable, and march on. That's about the best we can hope for!:confused3

disneycruise05
07-16-2008, 02:18 AM
Perhaps someone is just:stir: ?? no offenese.

Sorry, but you must be new to the Podcast. Otherwise, you would know that Rex (WildeOscar) would never do anything like this just to annoy people. No offense.

That being said, I have to agree with Rex. As practically everyone else has said, the Podcast had to change when we lost Bawb. However, I'm not a fan of long interviews with others. I like the roundtable format that the DIS Unplugged is known for.

Since the past 2 shows have both had interviews, I hope that it was just a coincidence. I'm just not a fan. That's one of the reasons I don't like many of the other shows. One or two people talking for an hour and a half with interviews and background music doesn't interest me. Kevin Yee's was interesting, but I'm not a huge fan of his after reading a blog of his that dealt with his first Disney Cruise. I'll have to look for it. I just wasn't a fan after reading what he had to say (he wasn't all that happy with it...and it was all for reasons that I believe were totally in his control).

Should the Podcast continue in this direction, you can be certain that I will still be listening. You would still find me listening should the team just sit there for an hour and talk about whatever they wanted (hmmm....special show, perhaps????). It's going to take something drastic to get me (along with practically every other person of our "extended family" here) to stop listening.

timmac
07-16-2008, 09:30 AM
For those who have listened to the entire history of podcasts (either been a long time listener, or gone back to catch up), it's fairly easy to see that the format evolved just a bit over time, even back then. I think the same can probably be estimated for the "long form" interviews.

For what it's worth, I'm happy to see the interviews, as they inject some new material and new viewpoints. At the same time, I agree that they do have a bit of a scripted/monologue type of feel to them. Not sure that's quite the right words to describe it, but it seems at least a few people probably know what I mean.

But, that doesn't make it a bad thing. It's worth remembering that this new type of segment is new to the team as well, so they probably aren't completely comfortable in exactly how it works, how the conversation will flow, etc. The fact that it's over the phone probably makes it a little more detached as well. But, like most new things, I think as we get used to it, so will the team, and I would be very surprised if the interview guest segments didn't start to become more roundtable-ish in the very near future.

It was also mentioned that some segments cover content that we (as individuals, not collectively) really don't care about, and it's absolutely true. The store tours segments--wonderful as they were--covered a subject that I really couldn't have cared less about. But, I enjoyed listening and learning, and the (somewhat minimal) round table interaction still spiced it up. And, all that time was redeemed when I was able to tell a coworker about the menagerie of hello kitty stuff she'd be able to find at the Japan pavilion.

The whole political rant thing is an interesting topic. In this case, I think the discussion was certainly inspired by a very relevant news story, and not at all out of place on the show. That it touched upon a political issue was basically inevitable given the content. The differences in opinion around the table were likewise interesting, and seemed to be pushing near the boundaries a bit, particularly when Kevin added his own feelings to the discussion, which really weren't related to the story at hand. But even still, it's only natural that one's feelings on the issue would come up in discussion, and that's why we like having the personalities around the table. And it's hardly as though he was saying "you all should vote for XYZ this November". So, yes, there was some political ranting in some form, but I hardly think it was outside the spirit of what Pete intended when he promised to keep away from political topics.

calypso*a*go-go
07-16-2008, 09:47 AM
As I posted earlier...it's not that I didn't like the interviews, I just felt they ran a little bit too long (cut into too much of Pete's rant time! :teeth: ). I hope they have more guests in the future but hope some of them are actually at the table with them so it's more casual as the phone interviews don't really allow the others to jump in and join the discussion as much.

Oh well, whatever format they go with -- I am always going to be a fan!

DVCsince02
07-16-2008, 10:55 AM
As I posted earlier...it's not that I didn't like the interviews, I just felt they ran a little bit too long.

I have to agree with this thought. I know and understand that to grow there must be change. I'm very comfortable with change and support what Pete and the crew have been doing. I'm just not happy with the length of the interviews. I feel 10 minutes or so is enough time to get across what needs to be said. Anything longer than that and I seem to tune out. Heck, even on TV interviews you get a commercial break.

Keep up the great work! I'm a listener for life.

wishspirit
07-16-2008, 11:54 AM
There are always going to be bits in the podcast we aren't too keen on. FOr example i have no clue about NASCAR or Fishing, so those segments were lost on me (the only reference to Nascar i have, is seeing 'Cars' once!). I still enjoy the banter even if i know i would never do Richard Petty or a boat excursion.

I did like learning more about Gifts of a Lifetime, as its sounds like something i might like to do sometime in the future!

The podcast has to appeal to everyone, and i think getting a broader group of people to interview and things to do makes it accessable to everyone!

There are, however, a few changes i don't like. Bring back the living playings of the voicemails!! I don't care if the sound quality was bad, the banter was great! (Just a suggestion) :goodvibes

soupy11
07-16-2008, 11:58 AM
There are always going to be bits in the podcast we aren't too keen on. FOr example i have no clue about NASCAR or Fishing, so those segments were lost on me (the only reference to Nascar i have, is seeing 'Cars' once!). I still enjoy the banter even if i know i would never do Richard Petty or a boat excursion.

I did like learning more about Gifts of a Lifetime, as its sounds like something i might like to do sometime in the future!

The podcast has to appeal to everyone, and i think getting a broader group of people to interview and things to do makes it accessable to everyone!

There are, however, a few changes i don't like. Bring back the living playings of the voicemails!! I don't care if the sound quality was bad, the banter was great! (Just a suggestion) :goodvibes

I totally agree with this. I loved when they ran them live, and I did not notice any appreciable sound degradation.

MenashaCorp
07-16-2008, 12:42 PM
This is an interesting comment to me as it seems many people think along these lines.

Not trying to pick on you deide ;) but I honestly believe people forget that without "financial relationships" these boards wouldn’t exist. I realize this is just my opinion and it is not shared by many but I would be fine with a sponsor interview once in a while. I would be upset if the show turned into a paid infomercial but I have no issues with an interview every now and then.

I think it’s crazy that Pete always has to say “We have no financial relationship with these people”. As long as the information is on topic, helpful, and informative I don’t care if they have financial relationship.

For future reference, I guess I should disclose that I too have a "financial relationship" with the DIS.

I sponsored them!! (See above my avatar) I encourage everyone who can to do the same!! ;)

UrsulasShadow
07-16-2008, 04:40 PM
I totally agree with this. I loved when they ran them live, and I did not notice any appreciable sound degradation.

Except MINE, which was so bad they wouldn't play it.

farmbabe
07-16-2008, 08:24 PM
I really do like this podcast. I've only listened since October, but find it keeps me entertained on my long runs when training for marathons!

I wish the team would do more kid stuff. As a mom to a 4yo and 2yo...I want more info that works for kids. Our first family trip to WDW was in January...I would have loved someone to tell me that Bugs Life was a TERRIBLE attraction for little kids! Wow...that was awful! :scared:

I'm a former radio broadcaster...so I understand how it works. I think they do a very good job and I can appreciate the the work that goes into producing long form programming!

SamSam
07-17-2008, 12:07 AM
I wish the team would do more kid stuff. As a mom to a 4yo and 2yo...I want more info that works for kids. Our first family trip to WDW was in January...I would have loved someone to tell me that Bugs Life was a TERRIBLE attraction for little kids! Wow...that was awful! :scared:

It's all relative. I know young ones (2-5 years old) that loved Bugs Life. The podcast crew is excellent at describing things (whether it's a resaurant or an attraction) so people can make up their own minds on whether they (or thier family) will enjoy it.

wildeoscar
07-17-2008, 07:10 AM
bugs life is so not an attraction for kids, it isn't an attraction for adults... it is scary and the poke to the back hurts, a lot.

SamIAm21
07-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Just as an FYI, I also never noticed any appreciable sound difference when playing the voicemails live. One or two may have been "tinny", but I didn't feel it was the equipment, but something on the telephone end of things.

I loved the banter with the voicemails and emails when they are read live. I was also disappointed when they said they'd go back to the old way of doing things.

This show in no way has ever "jumped the shark" as far as I'm concerned.

DVCsince02
07-17-2008, 10:09 AM

I agree, but it's hard for them because no one on the panel has young children like us.
Pete - I'm willing to step up anytime I'm in town to help with this type of segment.:)