PDA

View Full Version : New Countries at Epcot

WLfan
07-08-2008, 08:43 PM
When I went on the tour of world showcase, the tour guide told us each individual nation's pavillion is funded by private companies from that nation (with the exception of Morocco that was funded by the King). They said that is why those particular nations are represented, it's who is willing to pay to build a pavillion. I don't understand why Disney doesn't try to build new nations. The guide said they had room for a lot more pavillions (I forget how many, but it was a lot more than I thought it would be).

If you could pick, what new nations would you add to Epcot?

I would add India and Russia. They have very unique cultures, unique architecture and landmarks to incorporate into the pavillions, and unique restaurant opportunities. They could even build a "sleigh ride" for Russia! How cool!

What would you add?

lala3291
07-08-2008, 08:46 PM
I would go with Ireland or India.

WLfan
07-08-2008, 08:53 PM
Ireland would be cool too. They could build a traditional Irish village.

FireDancer
07-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Since there are no South American countries and there are so many Brazilian visitors I would go with Brazil. India and Russia are also good choices as would be Greece. I would put Brazil at the top though.

calypso*a*go-go
07-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Australia would always be on the wish list for me. :goodvibes

WaltD4Me
07-08-2008, 09:36 PM
I think Greece would be amazing. Australia would be good too.

DisneyDadof3
07-08-2008, 09:38 PM
Egypt would be good as well.

JnX1
07-08-2008, 09:38 PM
I think I would have to agree with a South American country. Or maybe even Spain. Great culture, great food, and great wines, what more could you ask for in World Showcase?

UrsulasShadow
07-08-2008, 09:43 PM
Antarctica.

dpuck1998
07-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Antarctica.

Just go to club cool and pretend your there....

Hmmm...what would I choose....it would have to be based on food I like, so I'll join others and pick Greece. They could have a ride based on the first olympics....we'd have to compete in the nude :scared1:

t-bird
07-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Wow, there are so many choices but, I think I would go with Argentina (tango, Goucho's, etc.), India and Russia. I almost feel they should relocate "Its a small world" to Epcot too;) . Oops, I almost forgot to mention Indonesia. Now that's exotic as well as beautiful and interesting.

Jeff8372EMT
07-08-2008, 10:19 PM
Australia, Ireland or Russia would be my choices.

Jubilee
07-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Greece, Ireland, Australia

WLfan
07-08-2008, 10:23 PM
What about the Polynesian islands? That would be great!

alaskanmommy
07-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Australia would be "aus"ome! ;) Though I'm a huge fan of Greek food, and their culture and history would fit nicely into Epcot. Hmmmmm, that's a tough one. Ooooh I like the Polynesia idea too. Or Russia............AAAAGGGGHHHH!:headache:

SamSam
07-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Greece or India could be awesome pavillions. I would also love to see something done to represent the Native American culture, but realize that would be extremely difficult because of the many, very diverse, nations.

cccm
07-09-2008, 05:07 AM
Definitely a representative from S. America. I am thinking Chile or Argentina.

Russia or Ukraine

Greece, Turkey, Israel, Egypt or Lebannon

pleefy
07-09-2008, 05:54 AM
Australia

Yvet
07-09-2008, 06:55 AM
I want The Netherlands......
Not that we have that great of a country but if the Netherlands is in Epcot, i can work for Disney.... :wizard:

But for real, i would say Australia and Greece or Israel

unofficialtourist
07-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Definitely Brazil, Greece, and Ireland. Celtic dancing, greek food, rio festival - wow!

alebisi
07-09-2008, 07:26 AM
Greece, Perķ (because of the food and the Macchu Picchu ruins) and definetly Ireland, Egypt would be awesome

IWISHFORDISNEY
07-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Well being Greek influences my choice:rotfl2: I would vote for Greece and I like the idea of Austraila. Maybe a carribean type country such as Jamaica would be cool too.:thumbsup2

dpuck1998
07-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Well being Greek influences my choice:rotfl2: I would vote for Greece and I like the idea of Austraila. Maybe a carribean type country such as Jamaica would be cool too.:thumbsup2

Hmm...Jamaica....a bob sled ride. What would the other attractions be...a "smoking" room :rotfl2:

IWISHFORDISNEY
07-09-2008, 08:35 AM
Hmm...Jamaica....a bob sled ride. What would the other attractions be...a "smoking" room :rotfl2:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Now that would be quite a country. I was thinking about a boat ride down the RioGRande or Dunns River Falls where they filmed Blue Lagoon. The music and the food. MMMMM love jerk chicken. I grew up with a mother that loved the place so much she bought a villa there that we went to every year. The coconut ice cream was to die for. Now my brother he loved those "speacial" conch shells they were selling. :rotfl:

MenashaCorp
07-09-2008, 08:44 AM
They should have an American Pavilion.

Well, a good one. ;)

rotlex
07-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Egypt! While I like the thought of a few others, Australia and Greece, I think Egypt could be a very, very cool pavilion. :)

davidand3rs
07-09-2008, 10:12 AM
Brazil or Germany would have to be my picks. They're just different enough to have some variety in the showcase.

DLBDS
07-09-2008, 10:26 AM
New Zealand
Australia
Egypt
Ireland
Greece

georgemoe
07-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Brazil or Germany would have to be my picks. They're just different enough to have some variety in the showcase.

Today must be your day. There is a Germany. :goodvibes

(Maybe you meant to mention another country.) ;)

davidand3rs
07-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Today must be your day. There is a Germany. :goodvibes

(Maybe you meant to mention another country.) ;)

Sorry... In fact on my trip not more than two weeks ago I ate at Germany. (Maybe i like it so much that I want a second pavilion?) What I meant to say was Russia. Thanks for the heads up!!!

MenashaCorp
07-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Let's get a Kingdom of Saudi Arabia pavilion where we can gas up for $0.45/gal!
Better yet, Venezuela!! NINETEEN CENTS!! Woo Hoo!!! :banana:

Geef
07-09-2008, 11:08 AM
Australia and Greece, there is nothing like either of these at Epcot today. Imagine the food that would be available in Greece. Although Australia could be added to AK (anything would help that place).

baby1disney
07-09-2008, 11:36 AM
:goodvibes There are so many to choose from but some of my choices would be Spain, Sicily, Jamica(or the Carribean countries), Brazil, Egypt, South Africa. But, I think if you look at it now, don't they have a country from each contintent(don't know how to spell that...so please forgive me:goodvibes )?? If not not, then maybe they should

FireDancer
07-09-2008, 03:41 PM
I think if you look at it now, don't they have a country from each contintent(don't know how to spell that...so please forgive me)?? If not not, then maybe they should

Of the 7 continents, 4 are represented: North America, Europe, Africa, and Asia. Australia, South America, and Antarctica are not. Since Antarctica is out we are looking at Australia and South America as options if we go with the theory that they would represent all the continents. Of course what would really determine the new pavilion would be sponsorship.

IslanderFan0194
07-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Well Im a Greek-American so I'll love for Epcot to have Greece as a new country to be displayed there!

Stacy's a freak
07-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Egypt would be good as well.

Ditto for Egypt. They could have a pyramid and maybe a mock excavation site with a tomb and a scary mummy! There could be a dark/scary ride there - I would love that. I like Norstrom or whatever that's called, but it's pretty tame.

oops - Nordstrom is a store, Maelstrom is the ride, right?

MenashaCorp
07-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Ditto for Egypt. They could have a pyramid and maybe a mock excavation site with a tomb and a scary mummy! There could be a dark/scary ride there - I would love that. I like Norstrom or whatever that's called, but it's pretty tame.

oops - Nordstrom is a store, Maelstrom is the ride, right?

:rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2: :lmao:

A slip of the tongue/keyboard but SOOOO right! Every WDW ride *is* a store or at least empties into one!!

Egypt would be cool. Brendan Fraser could open it (If it were a Hollywood Egypt rather than the actual one!)

Gas only $1.20/Gal in Egypt!! :thumbsup2

hrsmom
07-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Russia, Ireland, Egypt, Australia

Natalie_89
07-09-2008, 06:17 PM
austraila wood be cool and hawaii or the north pole :cutie:

dpuck1998
07-09-2008, 07:21 PM
austraila wood be cool and hawaii or the north pole :cutie:

Who made hawaii a country...or the north pole :rotfl2:

Natalie_89
07-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Who made hawaii a country...or the north pole :rotfl2:

lol wood be cool tho;)

pooksma
07-09-2008, 07:30 PM
DH and I had this discussion a few days ago. We suggest: Greece and Peru to start, then Egypt and Russia.

annie1995
07-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Greece, Ireland, Australia

Ditto to these!!!

metalis4ever
07-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Egypt and Austrailia would be amazing so much histroy and art to draw inspiration from...or what about creating an area for the great lost cultures of the Native Americans...I know there are hints of it in Mexico but I mean the great tribes that once lived in what is now the US including Alaska and Hawaii tons of rich tradition and culture. I know it is depressing to thnik about but Disney could pull it off by celebrating the greatness that was rather than the demise and extermination afterall it is far from "Happily ever after" story. Wow that sounded preachy and I assure you I did not mean for it to be I am dead serious I think it would be amazing. :goodvibes

WLfan
07-10-2008, 03:05 PM
I would still make India my first pick. There is nothing even close to that culture represented in world showcase, while there is an overabundance of European cultures represented. This is probably a product of the "fund your own pavillion" mentality. Naturally, the wealthier nations are the ones represented. Disney should make an effort to help fund nations that are not as wealthy. As is, there are five European pavillions, two from East Asia, one from the Middle East, one from Latin America and none from sub-Saharan Africa or southern Asia.

Just an observation.

DaParkers
07-11-2008, 07:29 AM
EGYPT

Torontogal
07-11-2008, 08:41 AM
India

UrsulasShadow
07-11-2008, 09:07 AM
I still say Antarctica.
Think about it...
The decor would be a welcome break from the Florida heat, with a lovely glacier to push your stroller on, and a high, icy wind delicately cooling your brow.
You can make your ADRs for the Quonset Hut, feasting on wonderfully prepared Spam and MREs
The gift shop can offer pieces of meteorites from Mars, and little stuffed penguins, and parkas.
The Kid Zone can teach the tykes how to analyze ice core samples.

I see potential here, folks.

tinkbutt
07-11-2008, 09:36 AM
greece and Poly islands!!! australia too

*KeepMovingForward*
07-11-2008, 09:40 AM
I would love to see Russia or Portugal.

MenashaCorp
07-11-2008, 09:42 AM
India - as fond as Disney is of outsourcing, it's a natural fit.

They could outsource all their guest relations to the India pavilion. Maybe Dell or Microsoft could sponsor it! ;)

cccm
07-11-2008, 09:44 AM
I still say Antarctica.
Think about it...
The decor would be a welcome break from the Florida heat, with a lovely glacier to push your stroller on, and a high, icy wind delicately cooling your brow.
You can make your ADRs for the Quonset Hut, feasting on wonderfully prepared Spam and MREs
The gift shop can offer pieces of meteorites from Mars, and little stuffed penguins, and parkas.
The Kid Zone can teach the tykes how to analyze ice core samples.

I see potential here, folks.

A question for you Mindy.....

How would they staff this? ;)

She is correct about a lot of potential with Antarctica. The ride could be something based on Shackleton (or the Disney dog movie that came out last year).

Mindy, this could be the first ride at the Hollywood East Studios (we could take over the first hole of the golf course).

UrsulasShadow
07-11-2008, 10:14 AM
A question for you Mindy.....

How would they staff this? ;)
Well, they'd have to fly them in, of course...and there would be no medical support, so CMs and visitors alike would have to set all their own broken bones, and perform all their own emergency surgeries...guess they ought to offer up some first aid kits in the gift shop, too, eh?

She is correct about a lot of potential with Antarctica. The ride could be something based on Shackleton (or the Disney dog movie that came out last year).

Mindy, this could be the first ride at the Hollywood East Studios (we could take over the first hole of the golf course).
:laughing:

FireDancer
07-11-2008, 10:57 AM
IAs is, there are five European pavillions, two from East Asia, one from the Middle East, one from Latin America and none from sub-Saharan Africa or southern Asia.

I think the people living in Morocco would be a bit dismayed to hear that they have been relocated from Northwestern Africa to the middle east!

If they do choose India all they would need to do is put in a call center. Then we can all bring our Dells in to get them fixed.:woohoo:

Ileana
07-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Greece, Greece, Greece, Greece, you know maybe even Greece would be cool, but definitely Greece

I'm from Cyprus, but Greece has so much more historical value to offer.

Ileana
07-11-2008, 11:03 AM
I think the people living in Morocco would be a bit dismayed to hear that they have been relocated from Northwestern Africa to the middle east!

If the do choose India all they would need to do is put in a call center. Then we can all bring our Dells in to get them fixed.:woohoo:

:rotfl: Hilarious

FireDancer
07-11-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm from Cyprus, but Greece has so much more historical value to offer.

:offtopic: Iíve heard Cyprus is very nice. Are you from the Greek side of Cyprus of the Turkish side that apparently only Turkey recognizes the existence of?

jacstangler
07-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Hi all:

absolutely Greece. The food is great. We don't need South America, Ireland or any of the rest. By the way I am not Greek, but Bohemian, but I
don't think Bohemia would be anyones choice. Anyway they don't know how to cook like the Greeks. I hope I don't start a war with that remark.

John

ExtinctDino
07-11-2008, 12:40 PM
There was a poll on another site with 192 votes. The top 6 were:

Greece 42
Australia 33
Egypt 31
Russia 30
Ireland 18
India 13

I think even more would have chosen Australia, but the thinking was it would (or should) have its own land in Animal Kingdom instead. Some people also had the view India was already represented in AK's Asia, although it's sort of a combination of India, Nepal and Thailand.

ExtinctDino
07-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Hi all:

absolutely Greece. The food is great. We don't need South America, Ireland or any of the rest. By the way I am not Greek, but Bohemian, but I
don't think Bohemia would be anyones choice. Anyway they don't know how to cook like the Greeks. I hope I don't start a war with that remark.

John

Unless it's purely a historical theme it would have to be a Czech Republic pavilion rather than a Bohemian pavilion.

WLfan
07-11-2008, 01:52 PM
[QUOTE=FireDancer;26167389]I think the people living in Morocco would be a bit dismayed to hear that they have been relocated from Northwestern Africa to the middle east!

Actually, Northern Africa IS part of the Middle East as are parts of Eastern Europe (Turkey) and Western Asia. The Middle East is a region not a continent.

Ileana
07-11-2008, 02:44 PM
:offtopic: Iíve heard Cyprus is very nice. Are you from the Greek side of Cyprus of the Turkish side that apparently only Turkey recognizes the existence of?

I'm GREEK!!!

My mother's side of the family was affected by the war in Cyprus (very touchy subject with us). They were living in Famagusta at the time of invasion.

FireDancer
07-11-2008, 02:51 PM
I know that Egypt is traditionally considered middle eastern along with the Sudan but I have never heard of a country that far west being considered. Each their own though.

DaParkers
07-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Actually, Northern Africa IS part of the Middle East as are parts of Eastern Europe (Turkey) and Western Asia. The Middle East is a region not a continent.

Correctamundo! :thumbsup2 Morocco is in the middle east.
http://www.mideastinfo.com/countries.html

FireDancer
07-11-2008, 03:31 PM
It looks like I learned something new today. This is good though because that means that with one country both the Middle East and Africa are represented on the World Showcase.

SamSam
07-11-2008, 08:10 PM
It looks like I learned something new today. This is good though because that means that with one country both the Middle East and Africa are represented on the World Showcase.

you are absolutely right! :)

SteveInBrooklyn
07-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Greek food is fantastic, but I doubt the Disney version would be any good. I don't think food is a good criterion. I'd pick India. Indian culture is pretty interesting.