PDA

View Full Version : my first tent camping trip

lucy_love
06-29-2008, 07:36 PM
I just got back from my first camping trip in a tent, we went to Bryson City, NC to visit a friend who is a White Water Raft Guide. I realized that I am not cut out for tent camping, I have a new found appreciation of the 40 foot coach :lmao:

I will tell you the story in pictures... this should be interesting. You have been warned. I should also add that when we first decided to go, my bf insisted we tent camp and by the end, we ended up cutting our trip a day short because we couldn't take it! So i'm not the only one who prefers the fort and coach to rural NC.

You know, he had been watching Man vs. Wild and thought he could be Bear Grylls :laughing:

we first arrived, "hmm this is pretty"
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/ontheverge_2006/IMG_6158.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/ontheverge_2006/IMG_6161.jpg

Ok, I am ready to get to camp and set up our site. But wait, our friend decides to take us on a hike. He tells us it's a short hike to a top of the mountain for a beautiful site, Ok easy, cool!! :thumbsup2

the start:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/ontheverge_2006/IMG_6163.jpg

after 2 MILES UP A MOUNTAIN. I am out of shape (working on it) and I almost blacked out a couple times. My bf said that I am probably the only person to climb that mountain with Tiffany's and Pearl earrings. Hmm Tiffany's and Tics, LOVELY :laughing:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/ontheverge_2006/IMG_6167.jpg
but the view was worth it!

Ok wait, now that we saw the sun set, we have to go back down, IN THE DARK. Are you kidding me! :headache:
Oh btw, one flashlight died so I had no flashlight! Talk about dangerous.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/ontheverge_2006/IMG_6170.jpg

so we get back and set up camp in the dark, here is our set up :rotfl2:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/ontheverge_2006/IMG_6227.jpg
us city slickers thought we could get away without an air mattress... :scared1:

we also forgot chairs and a lot of other stuff

so the next day the boys went rating on the Occee river...
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/ontheverge_2006/IMG_6202.jpg

on the way back, we pass a Wal-Mart which means AIR MATTRESS :worship:

then our friend decides that he wants chickens! Ugh you mean you want me to put 2 chickens in my Lexus?
yep
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/ontheverge_2006/IMG_6213.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/ontheverge_2006/IMG_6219.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/ontheverge_2006/IMG_6267.jpg

this is where our friend lives :confused:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/ontheverge_2006/IMG_6223.jpg

I was petrified of Tics, do you think the fort has tics? You will notice that in every picture I am wearing a hat. I really thought I was going to get Lyme disease and die. :lmao:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/ontheverge_2006/IMG_6232.jpg

This was my tic-free zone, notice I am even wearing a hat in the tent
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/ontheverge_2006/IMG_6269.jpg

Then we went to the Biltmore, which is AMAZING
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i214/ontheverge_2006/IMG_6253.jpg

and that's it! We were suppose to leave this morning but we left yesterday morning. We both have had enough and REALLY looking forward to the fort now :lmao:

I don't see myself tent camping again in a while, I just don't think I am cut out for it, or the tics.

djblu883
06-29-2008, 07:53 PM
well I have to say I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your trip! I have a 29ft. TT and would still love ruffing it in a tent...which I still do from time to time...I loved your friend's "home" it certainly had a lot of character! But I'm just an old tree hugger hippie so what can I say....Maybe the Biltmore is more your style??? Well Tiffany earrings and all made me think that lolol:hippie:

2goofycampers
06-29-2008, 07:56 PM
I've never been tent camping, but I know I'm not cut out for it either. :sad2: DH knows it too.

lucy_love
06-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Well we enjoyed the trip, we were just ready to come home. I was kinda excited to rough it, but it's just not me :confused3

djblu883
06-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Well we enjoyed the trip, we were just ready to come home. I was kinda excited to rough it, but it's just not me :confused3

that is what makes us all different and isn't that great...I'm glad we don't all love the same things!!!!No worries...good to know your mind!!!! Makes future decisions easier!...I think I would have skipped on the Chickens!!! lol

VACAMPER
06-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Your friend has am interesting set up. Looks happy with his chickens though. Thanks for the report and pics. I love to read about other peoples adventures.

PolynesianPixie
06-29-2008, 11:55 PM
What a fun report! Your friends place definately looks interesting! Kudos to him for doing it now...while he's young......:lmao: Really, though, I liked it. Lots of rustic charm.

I used to enjoy tent camping a lot. Then I got hips....hips and hard ground don't go together so well.

Oh and btw....Tiffany earings go with everything...even tics! And you are not the only one to hike while wearing them...:rolleyes1

clkelley
06-30-2008, 08:19 AM
Looks like a fun weekend!! Yep, not having the air mattress and chairs probably was miserable!!

Wow, you should have joined them on the Ocoee, I LOVE Whitewater rafting!! We did a run down the Ocoee through the Olympic run last August, I had a blast!!!!

lucy_love
06-30-2008, 09:05 AM
What a fun report! Your friends place definately looks interesting! Kudos to him for doing it now...while he's young......:lmao: Really, though, I liked it. Lots of rustic charm.

I used to enjoy tent camping a lot. Then I got hips....hips and hard ground don't go together so well.

Oh and btw....Tiffany earings go with everything...even tics! And you are not the only one to hike while wearing them...:rolleyes1

Yeah his place is quite interesting to say the least! I don't know how he does it. He is single and just graduated from college so he is trying out all kinds of cool jobs before the real worls. He actually googled "cool jobs" and that's how he found this one :rotfl:

I'm glad i'm not the only one hiking in style ;)

Looks like a fun weekend!! Yep, not having the air mattress and chairs probably was miserable!!

Wow, you should have joined them on the Ocoee, I LOVE Whitewater rafting!! We did a run down the Ocoee through the Olympic run last August, I had a blast!!!!

The olympic run was closed due to low water levels :guilty: I was a little nervous so they were going to go first and then I would go the second time. Since he is a guide, we get to go free but a nasty storm came so I didn't get to go. He works on the nahantala (spelling!!) river but his company does both. Pretty cool :thumbsup2

TheFlame
06-30-2008, 09:56 AM
The only time I came close to tent camping was when I agreed to go to the remote North GA mountains to camp and fish on a trout stream and we camped in the back of my new husbands truck that had a camper top. What a big mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't he realized we were now married and could do all that stuff legally any where we wanted(including in air conditioning and no BUGS?!?!?!?) He didn't have to drag me into a nightmare just to fulfill some kind of fantasy, I would have given it up anywhere!!!!!!!! Oops, sorry,:blush::offtopic: I was young, newly married and in love!!:confused3 Yes, obviously confused also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared1:

Didn't last long!(all of it!!):laughing: I am still a bit of a city girl as he calls it and was not raised to sleep in the back of trucks or on the ground! We have had a motorhome and are trying to get rid of our 2nd fifth wheel(downsizing-just not to a tent or truck camper thing!):laughing:

Looks like you had a beautiful trip despite the HORRIBLE LIVING CONDITIONS!:rotfl:

PanFanAL
06-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Sounds pretty fun to me. I stayed in Bryson City once(in a hotel though), and did the white water rafting. We did the Olympic section, a few months after the Olympics. As a matter of fact, our guide had not been down the river since that time, and the rapids had been beefed up for the Olympics. Well when we got to the last of the rapids, it had gone from a 3 to a 4. Those who have done this know what I mean. Anyway, we ended up flipping the entire boat upside down, and dumping everyone into the river. And this was in March. Very cold! Anyway, everyone was alright, and that was the funnest part of the trip for me.:lmao:

ntsammy5
06-30-2008, 01:54 PM
I've been tent camping since about 1955 - I haven't stopped yet. When I get home I'll post some pictures from the High Peaks - one of my favorite places to backpack. I'd like to do the AT end-to-end, but with a TKR, I don't think I should or could do that alone!

Pirate-Jeff
06-30-2008, 05:14 PM
I didn't know Wal-Mart sold LIVE chickens

How did you like the Biltmore?

During the Depression my Grandfather and Great Grandfather worked at the Biltmore as carpenters (the last big renovation). One of the benefits was all of the recycled material went home with them and they built My Grandparents house(now aunts). Anothor benefit was if you bent a nail in the board you were installing you replaced the hole board not just the nail you bent. They bent a lot of nails as they were finishing my Grandparents home and needed more lumber. Thanks to the Biltmore My Grandparents had a new house in the Depression. With top of the line materials for close to nothing. My Grandfather also said the renovation time (years) would have been shorter if all of the tradesman worked on the biltmore as much as they did building there own homes.

Pirate-Jeff
06-30-2008, 05:18 PM
I forgot:

Lucy is that a tic crawling on your leg

just kidding

clkelley
06-30-2008, 05:43 PM
He works on the nahantala (spelling!!) river but his company does both. Pretty cool :thumbsup2

I've heard the Nantahala is Cooooooold water, even in July, but still a fun run.

BigDaddyRog
06-30-2008, 05:48 PM

The 12 year old in me (who, btw, makes many decisions for me) would LOVE to call THAT home!!! How freakin cool is THAT!!!!!!!! And he's right....that living space NEEDS a guard-chicken!!!

lucy_love
06-30-2008, 05:57 PM
The only time I came close to tent camping was when I agreed to go to the remote North GA mountains to camp and fish on a trout stream and we camped in the back of my new husbands truck that had a camper top. What a big mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Didn't he realized we were now married and could do all that stuff legally any where we wanted(including in air conditioning and no BUGS?!?!?!?) He didn't have to drag me into a nightmare just to fulfill some kind of fantasy, I would have given it up anywhere!!!!!!!! Oops, sorry,:blush::offtopic: I was young, newly married and in love!!:confused3 Yes, obviously confused also!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:scared1:

Didn't last long!(all of it!!):laughing: I am still a bit of a city girl as he calls it and was not raised to sleep in the back of trucks or on the ground! We have had a motorhome and are trying to get rid of our 2nd fifth wheel(downsizing-just not to a tent or truck camper thing!):laughing:

Looks like you had a beautiful trip despite the HORRIBLE LIVING CONDITIONS!:rotfl:

:rotfl2: my bf suggested we bring his truck and sleep in the back!

Sounds pretty fun to me. I stayed in Bryson City once(in a hotel though), and did the white water rafting. We did the Olympic section, a few months after the Olympics. As a matter of fact, our guide had not been down the river since that time, and the rapids had been beefed up for the Olympics. Well when we got to the last of the rapids, it had gone from a 3 to a 4. Those who have done this know what I mean. Anyway, we ended up flipping the entire boat upside down, and dumping everyone into the river. And this was in March. Very cold! Anyway, everyone was alright, and that was the funnest part of the trip for me.:lmao:

The olympic section was closed when we were there so they did the lower part, it was still 3's and 4's but I bet the olympic part is crazy :eek:

I've been tent camping since about 1955 - I haven't stopped yet. When I get home I'll post some pictures from the High Peaks - one of my favorite places to backpack. I'd like to do the AT end-to-end, but with a TKR, I don't think I should or could do that alone!

Oh I would love to see pics

During the Depression my Grandfather and Great Grandfather worked at the Biltmore as carpenters (the last big renovation). One of the benefits was all of the recycled material went home with them and they built My Grandparents house(now aunts). Anothor benefit was if you bent a nail in the board you were installing you replaced the hole board not just the nail you bent. They bent a lot of nails as they were finishing my Grandparents home and needed more lumber. Thanks to the Biltmore My Grandparents had a new house in the Depression. With top of the line materials for close to nothing. My Grandfather also said the renovation time (years) would have been shorter if all of the tradesman worked on the biltmore as much as they did building there own homes.

I LOVED the Biltmore! AMAZING! We did the audio tour and it was worth it (well we got it for free ;) ) I love history and really enjoyed it. That is really fascinating about your grandpa :)

I forgot:

Lucy is that a tic crawling on your leg

just kidding

I am still convinced they are in my duffel bag and car waiting to get me, so far so good :rotfl2:

I've heard the Nantahala is Cooooooold water, even in July, but still a fun run.

I think it is a constant 47 degress :scared:

lucy_love
06-30-2008, 05:58 PM

The 12 year old in me (who, btw, makes many decisions for me) would LOVE to call THAT home!!! How freakin cool is THAT!!!!!!!! And he's right....that living space NEEDS a guard-chicken!!!

There was a boy scout troop there on our last night and they were drooling over it, you would have fit right in :rotfl2:

ntsammy5
06-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Try climbing these mountains:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x95/*******IMG_0166.jpg

and carrying this:

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x95/*******IMG_0155.jpg

My daughter (in yellow) her husband and a friend. I'm taking the pictures!

Actually, once you get in shape it's not bad. Whitewater rafting is fun, but I haven't done it in years. Being a guide sounds like fun. I want to do New River sometime, but probably won't. That's a great report. Soundslike you had fun.

lucy_love
06-30-2008, 06:33 PM
Wow that's what I called prepared!!! Man, they would have laughed if they saw me hiking, hahahaha. Awesome view!

McRed
06-30-2008, 08:47 PM
I'm going tent camping with some old college friends this weekend. We do this every year around July 4th on a friend's farm near Louisville. You have to take a tractor trail and cross several creeks to get to a clearing that has a deer lodge similar to your friend's. We basically drink lots of beer and sit around the campfire and make up stories about each other.
BTW....the ticks have been really bad here in Kentucky this year to.

ntsammy5
06-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Oh BTW, for future reference, coming down a mountain in the dark can be very dangerous!

Laurabearz
07-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Glad to hear no tick encounters to report!! The place looked lovely! Sorry to hear tenting is not for you, but you seem like your over it lol

Pinkee77
07-15-2008, 07:16 PM
OH MY! :lmao:

I'm thinking my first tent camping trip may be a little easier than your's!

I have to ask for clarification he got the chickens at Wal Mart?? I'm sure different stores carry different products according to the local demand but live chickens? lol.

lucy_love
07-15-2008, 07:18 PM
OH MY! :lmao:

I'm thinking my first tent camping trip may be a little easier than your's!

I have to ask for clarification he got the chickens at Wal Mart?? I'm sure different stores carry different products according to the local demand but live chickens? lol.

haha no, we go them on our way home from Wal mart :rotfl2:

Pinkee77
07-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Phew!! I was wondering. lol.

Shannone1
07-15-2008, 10:46 PM
Great Pictures !! You never did tell us your first name though I know your dog is Lucy ;) I have one question about your friend's set up.....does he have a real bathroom ?!?!?!

Jeff- great family history about the Biltmore :thumbsup2

2goofycampers
07-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Great Pictures !! You never did tell us your first name though I know your dog is Lucy ;) I have one question about your friend's set up.....does he have a real bathroom ?!?!?!

Jeff- great family history about the Biltmore :thumbsup2

Her name is Ashley.

lucy_love
07-15-2008, 11:05 PM
Her name is Ashley.

Haha thanks, I thought I put in the "tell us your name thing" that my name was Ashley but maybe I forgot :lmao:

They have a shower house thing but it's quite a hike so they pee in the woods and shower like once a week :eek:

I used the shower house and I first checked it for bugs then hoped in and turned it on and 3 bugs came falling down at me!! I was trying to crush them down the drain with my shampoo bottle but the daddy long legs was to big, :headache:

stky6
07-16-2008, 05:03 AM
I started out sleeping under my truck, got married and had to move into a tent...best way to camp :banana:

We have a 12x18 tent with a/c, and 18 foot round canopy and all the comforts of home, even cook up a roast and cinnamon rolls in the camping oven. :woohoo:

btw, you should be more worried about tics crawling up from the ground than doing a freefall basejump from a tree, they like hiding in the grass instead of hanging out on braches and becoming a tasty snack for a bird :scared1:

cajunpeach
07-16-2008, 11:36 AM

I know I'm about 2 weeks late reading this. I just wanted to say, cool story!!! :cool2: I imagine your grandparents (now aunts) home is really nice!

Colson39
07-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Looks like you had a blast!!! Great pics, thanks for sharing :) I haven't been white water rafting in forever, I need to make a trip soon...lol

lucy_love
07-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Looks like you had a blast!!! Great pics, thanks for sharing :) I haven't been white water rafting in forever, I need to make a trip soon...lol

Thanks! There are quite a few places to raft in that area of NC/TN/GA

mamaloya
07-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Ashley, FYI, a hat won't stop a tick and your head is not the only place you have hair. :scared1:

I was bit by a tick in Williamsburg, VA. A few weeks later, after several days of 105 fever, I went to the ER. I was diagnosed with Lyme disease. I am now part time in a wheelchair and the pain is unbelievable. I went through 2 long courses of doxycycline to rid my body of the bacteria. I am not sure if the only reason it is so bad is because I already had rheumatoid arthritis or if it is always like that. After the ER visit I could barely walk around in my house for weeks. I used to run rings around everyone in my family, hiking, canoeing, etc. Now I struggle just to get groceries. I did recently go on a canoeing trip in Hot Springs and it was awesome. I was not on my feet, so I was OK, but still in pain. I just wasn't going to miss out on that.

The best way to prevent Lyme is a multi step process:
1) High deet bug repellent
2) Long pants and tuck into your socks
3) Check for ticks as soon as you get back inside (especially the warm areas)
4) If tick is found, remove with tweezers by the head immediately, the longer the tick feeds the greater the chance of transmission.

BTW, we were camping in our RV when this happened. It doesn't matter where you sleep, it is where you hike.

I still love the outdoors, just am more careful. We are also planning on buying a tent so we can do some "real" camping from time to time.

Isn't there a country song about a guy wanting to check a girl for ticks? :confused3 I suspect he had ulterior motives, but I guess it is the thought that counts.

Well, back on topic.

Looks like you had a good time. But, not all tent camping is like that. Easiest tent camping we ever had was at Fort Wilderness. That's another reason we want a tent. If we ever can't get an RV site, we can get a tent site.

lucy_love
07-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Is this serious?

If so, I am so sorry about what happened to you! I am never stepping foot under a tree again. I am pretty sure the fort sprays constantly (I hope). Yes, there is a country song about that! I heard it the other day and died laughing.

mamaloya
07-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Ashley,

I am sad to say that I am very serious. Don't stay inside though. Fear is not a good thing. Don't let it stop you from seeing the world. Just take the precautions that I mentioned. I still don't let it stop me. I am camping right now. It has slowed me down, but it won't stop me.

Live your life to the fullest. You never know what tomorrow holds.

lucy_love
07-20-2008, 09:27 AM
Wow, I am so sorry that happened to you but I am glad that it hasn't stoped you from doing what you love to do. Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it.

Gatordad
07-21-2008, 09:32 AM
Nothing stops Momaloya.

ntsammy5
07-21-2008, 09:49 AM
I was diagnosed with Lyme disease.

Man, that really stinks! I don't know anyone who has it, but I know it can be really bad! I feel for you - we spend weeks in the woods every year - don't hunt much any more, it kind of lost it's appeal, but we are in the high risk category, we do check for ticks regularly and almost take a bath in deet sometimes - wish it would work better on black flies :rotfl: - but any way good luck. I never would have thought Williamsburg though! :confused3