PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Bread

grumpy28
06-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Okay, so I bought 2 loafs of bread and we are only halfway through the first loaf! So, if I freeze the 2nd, do I just stick it in the freezer in the bread bag or place in ziplocs? Also, how long will it last? Alos, I saw some fresh crossaints marked down, but did not buy them b/c I knew they would go bad. In the future if I buy and freeze them, how would I thaw them? Sorry, but I have never frozen bread before! :confused3

sarahlovesmickey
06-17-2008, 03:27 PM
I just throw the loaf in the freezer in the bag it comes in. Then when we are ready, I take it out and it thaws. We have never had an issue.

Renee845
06-17-2008, 03:29 PM
I just throw the loaf in the freezer in the bag it comes in. Then when we are ready, I take it out and it thaws. We have never had an issue.

Yep, that is what we do too, don't know about rolls and such though, I would imagine it works the same way, put them in a freezer bag and throw them in the freezer.

grumpy28
06-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the replies! :goodvibes I am trying to get my grocery budget down, so stocking up on the good sales/day old bread is crucial! ;)

TaraPA
06-17-2008, 03:38 PM
I freeze any type of bread/rolls/pastries/buns the same way. When they're on sale I always get a few loaves of bread, and packages of hamburger & hot dog rolls, and freeze them right away. I just take them out the night before I need them, or defrost in the microwave - just a little at a time & keep checking. They're as fresh as the day I bought them!

jollytammy
06-17-2008, 03:40 PM
When thawing, I put the bread in the refrigerator to thaw.
When I thaw the bread on the counter, it tended to get condensation on the inside and the bread got damp.

stopher1
06-17-2008, 03:41 PM
We always do this - and have never had any problems. The only time we'll put some bread into a ziploc, is when we make it ourselves - otherwise the bag it's sold in is just fine.

bettyann29
06-17-2008, 03:45 PM

This is also what I do and when Im ready for the next loaf, I take it out of the freezer to defrost.. it tastes great

hrh_disney_queen
06-17-2008, 03:57 PM
I freeze bread all the time..just stick in the freezer in it's own bag. If you are going to thaw the whole loaf at once, leave the bag open for a couple of hours to ward off condensation. Or you can thaw what you need by laying it out on the counter for just a few minutes and leave the rest in the freezer, or even micro wave a few slices for just a few seconds. I have frozen croissants, too in a zip lock bag. Just take them out and pop them in the oven for a few minutes, they will warm up and get crisp in about 15 minutes. Watch them, they burn easily.

grumpy28
06-17-2008, 04:04 PM
You guys are great! I knew y'all would know the answer! :banana:

Momma2dakidz
06-17-2008, 04:05 PM
i put the bread in sandwhich bags, and when i need a sandwhich i pull out a bag, put bag and bread in a gladware keeper and place in sunlight or hot water. i do not defrost in microwave i think it gets icky that way. (if using for pb&j i spread filling first then put in sun to warm up. YUM!)

nolacindy
06-17-2008, 04:25 PM
We always keep extra bread and raisin bread in the freezer.. both do great straight from the freezer to the toaster.

kwhite1022
06-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Yup, I thaw mine in the fridge to avoid the condensation issue, unless its as cold as it is today here in MI :rotfl2:

Sort of releated, if you want to freeze milk, do you need to pour out a little? Ive seen some really good deals lately and thought about freezing some, but wasnt sure of the process.

momof1princess
06-17-2008, 05:37 PM
my bread is always in the fridge (i live in alabama and it's very warm here the majority of the year) and i buy it 3-4 loaves at a time at the bakery thrift store and freeze it in the bread bag. when i need another loaf, i just take it out and put it in the fridge-it's very rare for me to have a loaf get moldy, and normally it's b/c it was molded when i bought it and i didn't see it-ewww!

annsteere
06-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Yes, if you freeze milk you should be sure there is enough room in the bottle or carton for it to expand.

iheartdisney
06-17-2008, 06:34 PM
I keep the raisin bread frozen, then toast one piece at a time straight from the freezer.
If you want to thaw a loaf in the microwave, make sure to take off the twisty tie first...
:rolleyes1
don't ask me how I know this!
:rotfl2:

iNTeNSeBLue98
06-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Thawing frozen bread loaf tip:

When I do freeze extra bread or English muffins or bagels, I thaw in the Fridge. Stand the bag on end (e.g. in the door), not flat on a shelf. I haven't had "hard" bread since I started doing this.

Coll0610
06-17-2008, 08:26 PM
My mom always froze bread when we were growing up. It's really easy to make grilled cheese with frozen bread - you don't rip the bread when you are spreading on the margerine and it thaws while you are grilling it.

eyeheartgoofy
06-17-2008, 09:05 PM
I always freeze bread. We live pretty close to a bread outlet - even the ready to expire stuff freezes great and tastes fine. Today, I bought 2 loaves of Organic Flax Seed, 3 loaves of whole wheat, a package of english muffins and a package of pita bread for a grand total of $5.73.