PDA

View Full Version : Chicago trip - help!

buzzandwoodysmom07
06-17-2008, 08:30 AM
On a whim, I bought DH concert tickets for Father's Day to a show in Chicago. It's on a Thursday night and we are planning on driving from Detroit. Then I thought, well if we're going anyways, let's have Nana come to watch the kids while we're at the concert and then we can extend the trip and take the kids to see the Windy City.

Here's where you come in:

I need a reasonable hotel, in a safe area that has a pool (so she can keep them entertained while we are at the concert.)

The concert is at Toyota Park which I believe is near Midway?

What should we do with the boys (Ages 6 & 8)while in Chicago (approx. 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 days)? Any discounts?

You guys are the best!

Thanks!

Chicago526
06-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Hotels downtown tend to be pretty pricey, but you should be able to find a decent deal near either O'Hare or Midway and then you can take public transportation into the city, or drive since you have a car (but parking fees can be killer, not to mention city traffic).

As for things to do, your boys are the perfect age for the Museum of Science and Industry. Can't recomend it enough. If they are into dinosaurs, the Field Museum has great dino bones on display, but I've always found it to be rather boring, other than the dino bones (that's just me, though). Shed Aquariam is fun, I've never been to Adler Planitarium but that's supposed to be neat too. Navy Pier has rides and kid shows, and you can pick up river and lake boat tours there too. And of course, there is always the Sky Deck at Sears Tower, or the viewing deck at the Hancock Building.

TALB
06-17-2008, 09:28 AM
My boys love to eat at Ed Debevic's. It is a 50's style diner where the wait staff tease you. If you go make sure you order the worlds smallest ice cream sundae. Rainforest Cafe is only a block away too. My kids favorite things to do in Chicago are: 1. Cubs or Sox game 2. Shedd Aquarium 3. Science and Industry Museum 4. Navy Pier ride the Ferris wheel or go for a boat ride. 5. Lego Store on Michigan Ave. Have a great time.

wdw_girl_18
06-17-2008, 09:38 AM
The crowne plaza in rosemont is $80-$100 a night and is about a block away from the L so you wouldn't have to pay outragous parking fees downtown. Its much easier to take the L(train) if you don't mind a little bit of walking!

Like the poster above me said , make sure you guys eats at eds! Its an experience =]

Chicago526
06-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Oh yes! I forgot Ed's! Eat there, you won't regret it!

kors
06-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Toyota Park is in Bridgeview...The Hilton in Oak Lawn is a nicer place about 15 minutes from the park. That is the closest "nice" hotel to the park. We live just 4 miles down the road from there. The hotels by Midway will work too, but you can get a decent deal at a hotel in Alsip or Oak Lawn.

midwestdee
06-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Don't forget to check the city's official website - like many big cities, they have a special pass you can buy that will get you into 4 or 5 places (Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, etc...) at a really good price. Also, if you decide you just have time to hit one big attraction, if you have AAA, work for a school, or anything else that may provide a discount, have your card with you. Each museum / attractions website may tell you who they give a discount to - but hey, it never hurts to ask!

iwannago!!
06-17-2008, 08:25 PM
there is a relatively new Marriott on I-55/County Line Road in Burr Ridge, just a short distance south of Midway. It can be had for a great price if you use their Best Rate Guarantee.

Are you going to see Buffett? Right now, if you are checking in on Thursday, July 24 for 2 nights, the rate is $139/night & you get a free $25 gift card.

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-rates/travel.mi

digitaldevice
06-17-2008, 09:00 PM
You can get great prices for downtown hotels at Hotwire.com around $73.00 – $85.00 a night.
I do it every month. Most of the time I pick 4 star hotel and get the Hyatt on East Wacker Drive. I like the location you can walk to Michigan Ave and park right there at Millennium Park building for a lot less than at the Hyatt. Overnight was $15.00 – $25.00, can’t remember. If you need more info PM me.

There is nothing like staying downtown. The big city atmosphere is great at night.

SylviaL
06-17-2008, 10:13 PM
If your boys are into Legos at all, Brickworld is Saturday and Sunday up in Wheeling which is about an hour northwest of the city. We went last year and my boys (4 & 6 at the time) loved it. Just do a search for Brickworld. We go when it opens and then have lunch at Bob Chinn's which is a fantastic crab restaurant (kona crabs are my favorite).

If you are interested in the Shedd Aquarium, you might want to call and check if the Oceanarium has re-opened yet because it was being renovated.

We love the Museum of Science and Industry. We were there last week. However, the 3-D shark movie is not worth watching (DH fell asleep). We like to eat at Dixie Kitchen afterwards. They serve very tasty southern food (we can't get enough of the johnnycakes).

Have fun!

buzzandwoodysmom07
06-18-2008, 07:47 AM
The people on this board are the best :love: - you are truly helpful! Thank you!

iwannago!! - yes we are going to see Buffett. We went to the concert here last week and had a blast!

I am so excited for this trip! It's been a long time since I've been to Chicago.

Thanks again!!!

iwannago!!
06-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Buffet is a good time!

If you stay in the burbs, you will pay for gas to get places with the kids - or at least gas to the Metra or L stations. If you stay in the city, you will pay for parking each and every day - and multiple times a day if you drive here & there & have to park. Public transportation is highly recommended, just plan to park the car & leave it for a couple days. I would recommend staying in the city.

The boys are at great ages for the Zoo (Brookfield is better & SW of the city, but Lincoln Park Zoo is in the city & free). If you are in the city, you can take them to the Lakefront, Oak Street Beach (FUN), Milenium Park, Navy Pier -all for free. There are a couple things at Navy Pier that you might want to pay for (Childrens Museum comes to mind)There is the Field Museum (dinosaur Sue) & the Museum of Sciene & Industry (a favorite). The Shedd Acquarium is great too.

check out www.metromix.com for what is happening around town. There are street festivals all summer long in different neighborhoods, all an L ride away from wherever you are.

Priceline often yields great rates, check out www.biddingfortravel.com to learn the strategy!

Have fun!

iwannago!!
06-18-2008, 08:43 AM
http://www.citypass.com/city/chicago.html?id=4pyopoQz

This is a great deal, if you really want to see & do stuff with the boys, you can do it all over a couple days. I like the Hancock building over the Sears Tower, then again I like to go to the bar on the 96th floor of the Hancock for my view.:thumbsup2 . The boys would probably love either.

5 Famous
Chicago Attractions $59.00
a $115.00 value
$49 for kids
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicago CityPass shows you Chicago on the ground and from the sky

Chicago CityPass saves you nearly 50% off Chicago’s five most-visited attractions including the Shedd Aquarium, The Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, Museum of Science and Industry, and an Option Ticket to choose between the skyscraper views from the Hancock Observatory OR the Sears Tower Skydeck. You have nine leisurely days from the day of first use to enjoy admission to each attraction once, and will avoid most ticket lines.

The featured museums and viewing locations reveal Chicago’s powerful personality and design. This is a city that works hard, plays hard, and invites you to join in. Built along a dramatic sweep of Lake Michigan, Chicago has soaring skyscrapers, parks with exciting festivals, Magnificent Mile shopping, legendary pizza, a host of restaurants, piers, and neighborhoods, all begging to land in a vacation photo.

CityPass wraps up Chicago’s signature sights and attractions in the pages of its slim booklet. You’ll also find attraction information, transportation directions, best times to visit, a map, special offers, and enticing suggestions from the pages of National Geographic Traveler, the most widely read magazine for inquisitive travelers.