PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Getaway on the Cheap for 2

kileybeth
06-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Okay is this even possible? My 2 teens are going to be away from 6/20 to 6/29 and I have a free babysitting offer on the table for my 2 toddlers and boy do I need a getaway with just the DH!

Problem is we have a huge wedding coming up (July)with 3 of our kids involved in it, our DS21 college graduation which involves a Long Rd trip for 6-7 in August and a Disney trip planned for Sept. Lots of cash goin' out already.

DH says we can go away if I find airfare (or we drive), hotel, and whatever else for under $1000 for my birthday. It has been a very stressful year for me and I know he wants to treat me to something BUT he so means under $1000. That should be easy right??

I am a mess trying to come up with it. We want a destination, not our normal take the kids to a museum or ride to the beach for a day.

I would love a cruise (never done that) or an all inclusive kind of place. An island. . .am I kidding myself?

Anyone know any secrets for finding such a thing in a few days time? Should I call a travel agent (never have ever, always plan myself)

OR should I just realize this amount of money for two doesn't go very far any more?

Nedebpats
06-16-2008, 06:02 PM
I would say call a TA it couldn'thurt and they should know if there is anything in your price range that you and DH would enjoy.

Deb

happily single
06-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Ocean City Maryland; Atlantic City, Hilton Head, North Carolina; Washington, DC? Or I'm sure you could find reasonable airfare for the two of you to head down to Orlando and stay off-site and do some non-traditional things. I would love to do a hot air ballon ride in Orlando>!

cndij
06-16-2008, 06:15 PM
Try Lastminute dot com, lots of great deals for departures within the next 2 weeks, and the package can include air, hotel, car etc. We used them a couple of years ago for a last minute trip to Jamaica, when our plans to Ft Lauderdale got cancelled by an incoming hurricane. I think we paid around $800 total for both of us, and it even included breakfast (we didn't get a rental car with this one, but it included transfers from the hotel to the resort)There are several of these kind of consolidators, I think another one is called moments notice.

DVC Sadie
06-16-2008, 06:54 PM
If you can drive to a port that has a 3 day cruise then yes it is very possible to have a mini vacation for under 1000.00.

Go to www.vacationstogo.com and search under 30 days.

If you have to fly to a place to embark then it will not be do able.

bettyann29
06-16-2008, 07:05 PM
You should be able to do a 4 or 5 day cruise for under that if you are within driving distance to a port.. especially last minute cruises you can usually get a really good deal..

You can go on carnival.com, princess.com or rccl.com and do some research.. Just make sure to leave some $ for tips... if you go to cruisecritic.com you can look under the ports and find beaches that are either free or cheap to go to in each port.. Bring a few sodas onboard or just drink the tea and juices that are free..

I would so do that if I could find one in my price range..

kileybeth
06-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks all, I have been to every stinkin' one of the websites you guys suggested at least a dozxen times today. And googled about a hundred others I think! oh I jest but at least 40!

Things are just costing more I guess.

I did get a rental car for $10.77 a day unlimited milege and a hotel room in Siesta Key on the Gulf of Mexico in FL for $79 a night IF I can find decent airfare. . .

southwest is suppose to have a sale on Wed but probably for later dates.

any tips to getting rock bottom air fare last minute? geez, they must have some seats open they would like me and DH to fill!

GraysMom
06-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Have you checked into cruising out of NYC? I'm not sure if the big cruise lines leave from Baltimore or Philly at all, but you might check into it.

kileybeth
06-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi All, Well it looks like summer cruising is much more expensive then fall cruising (hurricane season!) and I could find nothing at all out of NY, NJ, Philly or Baltimore for this time frame. oh, one to Canada w/ one port for $500plus per person. Not what I had in mind altho I'm sure it could have been fine.

We will just pretend we have flown away to a tropical Island and land lub it here in the continental 48.

I'm booked in Siesta Key (we really,really loved our one day there this past April on an off Disney day when we drove down & back from Orlando) and will be right on the ocean front (Gulf of Mexico clear blue waters to watch the sunset over! woohoo!) for under $100 a night. (4 nites)

DH found "reasonable flights for aprrox $350 (can't believe I am calling that reasonable after flying less then a year ago with a family of 6 for $650, oh well. It would have cost us easily $400 in gas from here(DE) so now we will just rent a car from MCO for under $9 a day and still come out ahead except for a bit of gas down and back to Seista Key.

Looking forward to doing a little bit of nothing with no kiddos to chase and no house to clean, meals to cook, etc.

Add a small food budget into that and we came in under the $1000 easily!

Thanks for the comments and I have noted all the great ideas for another time! Because I will cruise yet! hehehe

PS and guess what DH said? are you sure you don't want to do something in Orlando before we go down the coast? He wants to use up a plus off our Disney tickets for a water park! crazy man. hhhmm, we shall see. I think my conteroffer will be if I can make the Gulf by sunset.

Maybe being on the down side of 40 won't be soooo bad. . .do I have to say I'm 45 when asked tho? Yikes!!

Straitlover
06-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Check Traveloicty.com. They ahve a last-minute travel section. A former co-worker and her hubby got a last-minute trip (3 nights) to Arizona for $700 inc airfare and hotel from RDU.

Seahunt
06-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Check the "cheapcaribbean" website also - though it's not for your dates I did just receive an email showing some deals for Barbados starting at $349 including air - maybe there's something good for your dates too! :beach:

HelenePA
06-17-2008, 09:53 PM
try www.travelzoo.com