PDA

View Full Version : My wife just spent $110.00 on fingernails!!

kydisneyfans
06-16-2008, 09:32 AM
The title says it all.

My wife received a $10.00 gift certificate for Mothers Day from our church for a local nail salon. She was told to go and enjoy herself for an hour, what a mistake. After foot scrubs, fireworks stickers on her toes and some type of soaking treatment, it came to $120.00!! Thank God for the $10.00 off.

Tell me this isn't standard for a manicure and pedicure.

It looks like we'll be using more coupons for groceries as the budget this pay has been blown to smithereens.

Princess Michelle
06-16-2008, 09:37 AM
I pay 18.00 for a pedicure and I do my own nails so I can't comment on that portion. Seems a bit high but if she went to an actual salon I can see them charging that much. There are some places around here that charge around 30.00 for a pedicure, which I would NEVER pay!

Mean Queen
06-16-2008, 09:41 AM
It is possible. If she went to a fancy salon versus just a nail place, that price seems normal. Also, if she had fake nails put on versus just a manicure the price would go up. Nail art is always extra. The nail salon I go to is very big on trying the upsell without mentioning the extra cost. It's easy to walk out with a big bill, which makes that whole hour of relaxation go away.

Lisa06468
06-16-2008, 09:43 AM
All I can say is... oh my goodness.

heartsy77
06-16-2008, 09:52 AM
WOW! I pay 35 for a spa pedi and Mani! However, it 10 $ extra for design for either feet or nails but no stickers hand painted designs! Did she get acrylics? They also 25 ( 5 extra fro permanent white tips) for a full set.:confused3

iheartdisney
06-16-2008, 10:00 AM
I got my nails done while DH was deployed (we needed a girls night out) and mine was $50, my BFFs who got fake nails came up to $85, so I can see it easily going to $120 with a fefw more add-ons. The cute little fireworks were probably an extra $15-20!

JennCa
06-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Sorry to hear that. Some of those places are a shock if you haven't been before and price isn't always mentioned. They just ask would you like this scrub (not mentioning this is extra), this painted, etc?

Most times I pay $35 for manisure/pedicure in Ca but that is for the base model!

Jenn

Belle5
06-16-2008, 10:07 AM
If she got acrylics--you are in for some maintenance$$!

eeyorethegreat
06-16-2008, 10:21 AM
YIKES! Glad I keep mine short and natural!

battricia
06-16-2008, 10:26 AM
most mani/pedis around here (At specifically a nail salon - not a hair salon/spa) are about 50 - 60 dollars, this includes french since that's what I always get. I only go once per year if that. it's way too expensive and i can buy a bottle of pink and white polish for 10 dollars and do my nails 50x with that!

Maggie'sMom
06-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Did she get a manicure and pedicure done or just a pedicure?

I pay about $65 for a salt glow pedicure. That's without any add-ons or tip. If she did both manicure and pedicure, it could easily be that much or more.

madge
06-16-2008, 10:51 AM
The title says it all.

My wife received a $10.00 gift certificate for Mothers Day from our church for a local nail salon. She was told to go and enjoy herself for an hour, what a mistake. After foot scrubs, fireworks stickers on her toes and some type of soaking treatment, it came to $120.00!! Thank God for the $10.00 off.

It looks like we'll be using more coupons for groceries as the budget this pay has been blown to smithereens.

was this in Lexington? or Georgetown? Not that it matters, probably .. but in my mind, it should cost more in Lexington. LOL

loco4dis
06-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Water under the bridge. Just tell her she looks beautiful and move along. Down the road somewhere, you'll need similar "understanding" from her. :)

kelleigh1
06-16-2008, 11:01 AM
It all depends on what she had done. You can get a basic mani and pedi for around $25 on average. But when you start going for the full "spa" mani and pedi with all the fancy designs on your nails and probably acrylics, it will add up and quick!

T. Lynn
06-16-2008, 11:05 AM

I have acrylics and I go every 4 weeks for a total cost of $15 for a fill in and repainted.

heartsy77
06-16-2008, 11:20 AM
I have acrylics and I go every 4 weeks for a total cost of $15 for a fill in and repainted.

Wow you are lucky I have to go every 2 weeks for a fill, or I break the tips off, l usually have at least one tip that need replacing that is $3 a piece, and then I get a design for $10 for all fingers (basic paint job is included in the fill ) for a maintenance average acrylic nail maintenance trip of about $30 pus tip. I usually get about 6 pedi's a year and they are $25 for spa pedi plus five for french and tip :scared1: ! Oh my gosh I hope my husband never totals this up!

ohiojoy
06-16-2008, 11:54 AM
$110 is a lot for nails! Makes me wonder if she really got all the much done, or if the prices were just sky high there in the first place. I have a feeling the $10 coupon the manicurist gave out for free because she knew her prices were so high it didn't matter.

a1tinkfans
06-16-2008, 12:03 PM

YUP, by me it runs $30 every 2-3 weeks! Oh the joy of having nice silk wrap nails!
Actually though I LOVE that the polish stays on and looks great the whole time, totally worth it to me, but I know the cost up front and am willing to pay for it!

ExPirateShopGirl
06-16-2008, 12:07 PM
How can women type accurately and speedily with acrylics? The few times I have put them on for special occasions drove me nuts!

unbroken chain
06-16-2008, 12:17 PM
$110 is a lot for nails! Makes me wonder if she really got all the much done, or if the prices were just sky high there in the first place. I have a feeling the $10 coupon the manicurist gave out for free because she knew her prices were so high it didn't matter.

I'll bet this is right, especially if all the moms in the church got these. They were probably 'donated' by the salon to the church in that event. They can write them off as a charitable contribution to the church and then make more money when you come in to use them.

Reminds me of the businesses that give things away in the school that in reality wind up making you spend more money. We had a Mexican restaurant that used to come give some presentation for the kindergarten classes and give every child a coupon for a 'free' kids meal. Well, yes, it was free, but unless your 5 year old eats in restaurants by himself, you had to pay for parents and siblings, so for the free $4 meal you paid $20 or more (and this restaurant always had coupons in every mailer, etc., for buy one get one free on adult meals, which you couldn't use with the free kids meal). But if you have a sensitive child and didn't go your child was in tears that he got this great free meal and he couldn't go and get it. Are you supposed to explain to the 5 year old that he's being manipulated by the restaurant owner? The dine-in only "book it" Pizza Hut coupons were like that too. Okay, sorry to get off topic!

pnutmnm
06-16-2008, 12:19 PM
I have gel and go to get them filled about every 3 weeks (sometimes I can push it longer) and that is $25. I get a french manicure airbrushed and it stays under the gel. This is an additional $5. To me it is so worth it. The french manicure lasts until the next time I go and never have to worry about nail polish chipping. I try to splurge for pedicures about once a month in the summer. That is $25. But I love having little designs put on. That is an additional $5.

a1tinkfans
06-16-2008, 12:24 PM
How can women type accurately and speedily with acrylics? The few times I have put them on for special occasions drove me nuts!

This is so funny! Thats usually how I know that I am overdue for my fill. My nails start to hit other keys!
I actually type everyday but I am no speedster, I think like 55 wpm. My manicurist HATES when I push the 3 week mark but I say, whatever, just fix'em :rotfl:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE that the polish always looks so nice and unchipped!!

LanaJae
06-16-2008, 12:29 PM
I feel your pain, I went in for a pedicure for the first time (not a spa one, which was about $20 more). The prices for manicures were reasonable, but I didn't read far enough down on the sign to see the cost of a pedicure. I wanted "french," which was $5 more (designs were $10 more), then I decided to have my nails done too, which was $10 more (discount when you get a pedicure). Total cost was $58 with tip and this was at a nail place. My friends said to double that at a spa salon.

My nails lasted 2 days, but after doing my own touch-ups on my toes, I am coming up on 4 weeks. Still doesn't justify what I spent.

ceecee
06-16-2008, 12:35 PM

I do my own and always get compliments! I think the salon did this to drum up business as well, $10 isn't much off. Of Course, she did have "the works" which was probably optional. The nail art is always more and she set herself up for maintenance costs if she got acrylics.

mamalle
06-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Im sure it can cost that much. It depends on where you go and what you have done. For me a combo pedicure/manicure costs me $25 at my salon. Granted my nails are real. I really try to only go once a month or such. I hate to spend the money but I do like my toes looking pretty esp during the summer in my sandals.. :thumbsup2

Benducci
06-16-2008, 12:42 PM
The title says it all.

ok- what exactly did she have done? If she had a soaking pocedures & foot scrubs higher end pedicure it could be about $50. Depending upon the stickers & what not that runs up the price also.

What did she have done on her fingers? Again it could run up - If she was there for an hour & had a bunch of services, $110 is not that bad.

If her gift certificate was only for $10, why didn't she ask what was included for that price? I wouldn't blame the nail salon - your wife had to agree to the services & should have asked the prices first - a simple manicure in our area is more than $10 alone.
sorry but she & you learned an expensive lesson.

kydisneyfans
06-16-2008, 12:48 PM
OP here-This is her first time getting the nails done. She had no clue about the pricing of the upgrades. I did not "babysit" her during the visit as I went on to get some groceries while she was getting things done.

My guess is acrylic nails, and when I walked in she was getting a foot scrub. I paid the bill and did not tell her how much it was until she got home, even she thought it was not nearly worth the cost.

I don't think she will do that again.

This was at a hole in the wall nail salon in Georgetown.

An_Island_Girl
06-16-2008, 01:15 PM
That sounds about right. I pay $75 for a spa pedicure, and $35 for a manicure (no gel nails for me). So $110 each visit + tip.
I go every other week, but many of my girlfriends go weekly.

faindrops27
06-16-2008, 01:39 PM
I live on Long Island, NY. Not unheard of at all. They charge for each nail. However, I feel every married woman should be pampered. I think she deserves it. You are a lucky husband. At least you do not have a wife that goes for weekly spa treatments. If you did, you would be in for a real shock. :rotfl: :rotfl:

madge
06-16-2008, 01:47 PM
This was at a hole in the wall nail salon in Georgetown.

I don't know anything about the cost of acrylics (in Elizabethtown, KY) but I do know that you can get a mani/pedi at a hole in the wall place for probably $30. Maybe a little more/less. Even the higher end salons here aren't that high. I think Georgetown and E'town are sort of similar in their makeup, although E'town is bigger.

bigslim
06-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Mmm, funny how if she blows $100.00 on nails she deserves it, but it was the wife posting he had blew $100.00 on a new power tool he'd be ripped apart! :rolleyes1

T. Lynn
06-16-2008, 02:18 PM

I get mine very short to start off so that probably helps. I also take my own polish in so after 2 weeks, I put another coat on top so it colors in the new growth.

I tend I do a lot of typing on a daily basis thus why I get them short. I live via feeding tube from my computer :rotfl2:

Wendy5055
06-16-2008, 02:42 PM
At my nail salon they don't just do a basic mani/pedi it always seems to be the "Serenity Package" or "Hot Stones w/Massage pacakge" or "Deluxe Package". None of these are under $150.00.:scared1:

I have Gel Nails and had them shortened so that I can type effectively. :lmao: They are a splurge for me and I am still out on my verdict as to whether or not I will keep them.

I did let my DD6.5 have a manicure ($10) while I had my set applied. My fills are $20.00 and I don't think I need every 2 weeks...not sure yet.

kpm76
06-16-2008, 02:59 PM
That price is not unheard of at the nicer, upscale salons around here. I'm a bit confused though....is your (of her) issue with the cost because you were unaware that it would be that expensive or did she know the cost upfront and felt the service was not worth it? Just curious.....I never sign on to anything unless I know exactly how much it will cost.....

faindrops27
06-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Mmm, funny how if she blows $100.00 on nails she deserves it, but it was the wife posting he had blew $100.00 on a new power tool he'd be ripped apart! :rolleyes1

Not at all. Obviously this wife does deserve it if this is her first time going to get her nails done. I also see nothing wrong with a hubby blowing a hundred dollars or more on a powertool. I honestly think the OP, has it very good. First time, his wife had her nails done. On his expense. Very lucky indeed.

englishteacha
06-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Around here nails are a bit pricey. There aren't any nail salons-everything is attached to a beauty shop, which means the beauty shop becomes a "Salon" and charges more for everything! I do my own, and they come out good, but it took a lot of practice. I've never had a real pedicure, but someday I'd like one. However, I can get a massage for what a pedi costs around here, so that's where my money will go!

hentob
06-16-2008, 05:25 PM
OP here-This is her first time getting the nails done

Well then give her a hug and tell her she was worth every penny:hug:

I hope she enjoyed her pampering:thumbsup2

hentob
06-16-2008, 05:26 PM

Why's that:confused3

mjkacmom
06-16-2008, 05:50 PM
It all depends on what she had done. You can get a basic mani and pedi for around $25 on average. But when you start going for the full "spa" mani and pedi with all the fancy designs on your nails and probably acrylics, it will add up and quick!

Same here - we have dozens of nail salons, so they need to compete. Sounds like she got acrylics, though. It's very hard to go to a salon with only $10, and expect to relax for an hour!

rflorek
06-16-2008, 05:53 PM
I get the UV gel nails with no applied designs (a variation of a french). They cost me $40 + tip and last 5-6 weeks (I'm supposed to go for a fill every 2 weeks, but with the deisgn I get, if I can get away with it, I stretch to save money:rolleyes1 ). The same salon offers a spa pedicure for $30 (I don't know what makes it a spa pedicure, but I know they charge more than a regular ped)

andymattmom
06-16-2008, 07:27 PM
To everyone who has the acrylic nails and gets the fills. I had them last year- got them on in March and went for fills every 2 weeks at an upscale salon in my town. In June after vacation I went for a fill on a Tuesday- by Saturday my nails didn't feel right. Took the nails off with acetone...NAIL FUNGUS on ALL 10 nails! I lost at least 1/2 the nail on all 10 nails. My doctor had not seen fungus like this. The salon appeared clean, went to owner, BUT what I did realize after (I guess I was just plain stupid at the time and not paying attention) was that I never saw the change the tools, clean them , etc. The state attorney general wants my pictures, doctors records, etc. Yes, I should have been more observant, but after talking to other nail people (showing them the pictures) and the doctor it had been going on for some time and they should have seen it.

Just watch your nails, watch that the tools are cleaned after each person and if you don't think things look right take the nails off and go someplace else!

Thankfully my nails grew back by fall...I go get manicures only and take my own tools at a nice place. I watch everything and only go occasionally. Much cheaper on my budget also!

Lisa_Loves_Disney
06-16-2008, 07:44 PM
i sure hope they were atleast acrylic nails (fake) because i have acrylic fingernails and it only costs $30 to get put on and painted, but %15 every 2 weeks to get filled. a total mani-pedi combo at my salon is $40.

patsal
06-16-2008, 07:51 PM
I don't go very often, but the spa by my house charges $35.00 for a mani and $55 for a pedi--I paid for myself, DD, DD's best firend and DD's best friend's mom for DD's Bday last year. When all was said and done w/gratuity it was around $430.

Frankiesmom
06-16-2008, 07:57 PM
I have acrylics and I get them filled every 2 weeks and I also get a pedicure 2x monthly; that adds up to about $130 a month- including tips. And too add my DH never complains.

donnabc
06-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Oh my goodness. I sure hope she didn't go for those fake nails...they are high maintenance and will cost her even more money! A few of us 'gals decided we needed a spa day so we did a package deal in Newport News VA (pedicure, massage, facial) for about this price.

debabe723
06-16-2008, 08:18 PM
I have UV Gels. I get a new set every 3 months, for $35, and get one fill a month in between for $23. Pedicures are $20 and I get one of them every 4 weeks (or 5 if I can stretch it). My last pedicure was Memorial Day weekend and I just had someone today tell me how nice my toes look so I'm not ready for a new one yet. I did have my nails taken off at the same time as my last pedicure and can't wait to get a new set on Saturday. I do like to let them 'breath' at least once a year. And I type 88 wpm all day long and have no problem with the fake nails on.

When I lived in the San Francisco area, all of these services were twice as much. I think maybe that has to do with the cost of living there vs. here.

iwannago!!
06-16-2008, 08:23 PM

:rotfl2:

I took myself on a 'date' to the nail salon the other day & got a mani/pedi for $35 plus tip (that is on my real nails). Had I got acrylic's & flags put on, i would have paid a lot more - and yes, I would have deserved it. :thumbsup2 And yes, it would have blown our budget too.:( . But hey, sometimes ya just gotta blow the budget a little (maybe not on nails, but she didn't know how that was going to turn out)

Turnabout is fair play, right? Dh blows the budget from time to time too - on stuff:bitelip: , I sometimes get mad, but he deserves it too. Like the golf tournament that he just 'has' to be in this Saturday for $150. :scared1:

bumbershoot
06-16-2008, 09:47 PM
fireworks stickers on her toes

Stickers? Toenails?

Um...on a grownup?

YIKES! Glad I keep mine short and natural!

Same here. Except that when I feel like growing them I grow them, and when I get tired of that I cut them short. Seems pretty easy to me!

I'm with you. Except I don't think that she "deserves" it. I had my nails "done" once and my toenails done once.

I learned that having cuticles cut is a nasty disgusting thing that makes nails look WEIRD for months and months. I was so glad once they grew back and looked normal again!

I learned from my toenail experience, which I had done some months after my mom died and my friend thought I needed cheering up, that, well, having my toenails done made me feel like a child playing grownup.

I'm surprised that no one has asked....what about the tip????

Liberty Belle
06-16-2008, 10:02 PM
That sounds about right. I pay $75 for a spa pedicure, and $35 for a manicure (no gel nails for me). So $110 each visit + tip.

:scared1: My God, my husband needs to read this.

ZuZugal
06-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Water under the bridge. Just tell her she looks beautiful and move along. Down the road somewhere, you'll need similar "understanding" from her. :)

I couldn't agree more.

Certainly don't make her feel badly about it. Everyone needs a little spa treatment once in a while...

Michelle67
06-17-2008, 12:23 AM
Well OP, you're a darn good man. My husband would have had a heart attack. :rotfl2: Good for you not giving her a hard time about it. Also glad for ya that she doesn't think it was worth it. WHEW!

I'm thinking the $10 "gift certificate" was a way to drum up business too. I have a hunch there was nothing on the "menu" for that little.

Bumbershoot, my sister gets the little "sticker" things all the time. She's 53 this year. They aren't exactly stickers...well maybe they are but they are under a clearcoat so they don't just peel off. It's apparently not uncommon. Lots of people like to get the little rhinestone things too.

This is just one more thing that makes me so glad I'm not a girly girl. I'd choke on the expense and the need for maintenance. Then again, I definitely couldn't type with acrylic nails, because I have kept my nails man-short all my life. :confused3

And I have no desire to have people messing with my feet. Sorry, had to say it. :duck:

HelenePA
06-17-2008, 12:42 AM
I'm not telling DH how much my spa day out is going to cost... its best he dont know.. if you think 110$ is bad.. you'd have a heart attack knowing what I'm planning on spending.. but ya know what?? I freaking deserve it.. tools.. yeah he works at lowes part time.. he comes home with stuff that's never seen the light of day.. We've been in our house for 3 years.. I'm still waiting for 2 shelves (that I am MORE than capable of putting up myself) to be hung up... in the almost 8 years we've had kids.. I've never done anything like this for myself.. my world is gonna get even crazier in Oct with a new baby... yes the money could be spent on other things.. but gosh darnit.. I need time away with out someone whinning in my ears for a few hours.. :)

jlima
06-17-2008, 02:39 AM
Here in Vegas all of the hotels have spas & salons and getting your nails done at a place on the Strip can be big bucks. A fill at a local salon can be as little as $15 but in a salon at a Strip property you can pay up to $85. A full set that's $25 locally can be $125 at a salon at a Strip property.

mjkacmom
06-17-2008, 06:47 AM
Oh my goodness. I sure hope she didn't go for those fake nails...they are high maintenance and will cost her even more money! A few of us 'gals decided we needed a spa day so we did a package deal in Newport News VA (pedicure, massage, facial) for about this price.

Wow! That would be double here! I'd definately be at the spa more often! :thumbsup2

rflorek
06-17-2008, 06:56 AM
Oh my goodness. I sure hope she didn't go for those fake nails...they are high maintenance and will cost her even more money!

I have the fake nails, my sister goes natural. My polish lasts MUCH longer than hers and doesn't require nearly as much maintenance as hers do. In the long run, I'd be surprised if mine cost more than hers since she has to have hers redone so often (she doesn't polish her own)

WendyisDarling
06-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Curious to know how the wife feels. Does she feel bad now because the cost came to so much? I know many say a girl deserves to be pampered and I agree, but I would be absolultely sick and not feel good at all if I came out of a place spending that much knowing it was far more than I had planned. Yes, lesson learned and the OP is being a good sport about it.

It doesn't sound like she went to a nice day spa where you could easily spend $110 + on a mani and pedi but rather a place that saw someone who they could take advantage of by offering add on without giving prices, again lesson learned.

We do have a few strip mall nail places around here that do a standard mani for $10 or $12 -- so IF it is that sort of place that could have been the intent of the GC. Add a pedi and it is $35 (w/o tip). Those are natural nail treatments and are not in fancy spa locations. (I'm sure not all, but a lot of these places have the prices posted.)

But as others have wrote...what's done is done. Tell your wife she is beautiful and you are glad she got to enjoy herself. If she is upset about the cost, too, obviously she can't undo it and I would suggest letting her know you understand she didn't know and stuff like this just happens.

Squishypig
06-17-2008, 08:54 AM
Wow, I would be shocked too at the price! It must be regional though. A couple of weeks ago, I paid for spa manicures and pedicures for my bridesmaids and it came to about $70 each at a local day spa. If we went up the interstate to Charlotte and it would have been about $90 each.

My new hubby got me a day of beauty for Saturday from the same spa with facial, massage, mani/pedi and lunch and it is only $195.

Schachteles
06-17-2008, 09:00 AM

I wish I could extend mine that long...I try to push three weeks and they are looking pretty shotty by then.

eliza61
06-17-2008, 09:11 AM
The title says it all.

Deep breath,
First, yes it can creep up there in cost. At my salon a "deep" pedicure cost $55 bucks then you throw in a manicure and you can be around $100 bucks.

No it's not usually standard, you can get a simply pedi for anywhere between 25-40 bucks.

Lastly,
Remember this was her Mother's day gift, a once in a year treat. Doesn't sound like she blows the budget routinely and it probably made her feel really pretty. ;)

snowbunny
06-17-2008, 09:41 AM

Ha ha, me too. My DH would looove for me to have long fake nails (I am totally serious), wouldn't care how much it cost, but I refuse :laughing:

adaygaby
06-17-2008, 09:50 AM
I have solar nails and pay $25 for a new set and the spa pedicure is $20. If you want a design $5 extra, $5 for massage with salts, etc etc with the small add-ons.

DVC Sadie
06-17-2008, 10:52 AM

That is the standard cost here as well if having both manicure and pedicure.

There is a huge difference in price on this thread. I wonder why?

hockeyprincess
06-17-2008, 11:28 AM
I didn't read the whole thread, but as a busy mom myself, all I can say is, maybe she just needed a little pampering, just some "mommy time" to make herself feel special? We moms always put everyone else first and our own needs last....I know it's a lot of $$$ just don't be too hard on her. It probably won't happen again in this lifetime, so chalk it up to a fun experience just for her. I am sure she enjoyed being pampered for a day.

MaryKLady
06-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Manicurist here :wave2:

I work in an upscale spa. Spa ped 45, spa mani 35, french 10, tired foot treatment 30 and a few designs 10 is $130....and our prices are less than most others in my area. It would have taken me three hours to do the work. I hope she had a good experience..she was there for a while, was relaxed, got quality work and enjoyed herself.

That is exactly why many of my clients pay their own bill and don't tell their husbands. :rolleyes1 I had a client who paid by check and entered her nail services as "Dr. -------". Her DH did the bills and finances and never questioned it.:rotfl2:

I'm too cheap. I do my own mani/pedi (duh!). I'm also trying to figure out how to get my color recipe from my stylist. :laughing:

scrapquitler
06-17-2008, 01:53 PM
It seems high, but not absurd.
The place I go (not often, but maybe a couple times a year)

A spa pedicure & french manicure costs $65. If your wife had the little sticker things, acrylic tips and some 'extras' like waxing, a $120 tab would not take long to accumulate.