PDA

View Full Version : SW - Dis teleporter network EXPERIMENT

aengus
06-14-2008, 01:10 PM
ETA: OK if you would like to be a part of the teleporter network, visit Dis Boards :rotfl: and then sign the guest book. Include your DIS board title or it wont be added. Starting to think this will not work :rotfl: but we can have fun finding out :)

Yes its an experiment... why? Well because we know we lose all of our stuff when beta ends :rotfl:

I created a character named Dis Boards

feel free to add :)

I called the room, Disboards club house

I want to put a teleporter in there and experiment linking to all of your rooms if you have a teleporter :)

It will be similar to the way it was done in VMK and now we get the opportunity to experiment with how it all works

I would also like to say I envision the room as a meeting place for maybe missions and the like, a place to load when you cant load your own room :rotfl:

I envision a guest book for the members to put theirs shouts

Perhaps a donated flickr photo with your choice (locked) of photo on teh wall

Magazines with links to all the sw threads here on the board

I dont know, after reading all the SW info on their site, I think this is what they envision. Lets build our own piece of smallworlds @_@

Anyways, I wanted to get this out there for some ideas and what not, but I will not be starting this until this evening. I havent bought a porter yet :rotfl:

Dont even know how they work yet, but I have just under 400 credits so I hope that will buy me something :rotfl:

goldengourd
06-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Okay, sounds really cool, and would like to be in on it. Though I don't get how it will all work, but up to experimenting.
dis: goldengourd
sw: Golden Gourd

cdog12
06-14-2008, 01:31 PM
onsmallworlds?

aengus
06-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Yes in smallworlds

I will buy a teleporter this evening and begin linking peoples rooms, I am not sure how the teleporters work just yet, I will figure that out later :)

poohluv2u
06-14-2008, 02:58 PM
I bought a door ... I think that is a teleporter :confused3

aengus
06-14-2008, 02:59 PM
I dont know, but i have since learned you will not NEED a teleporter to join :)

My teleporter is enough to get to anyones room it seems.

so nobody HAS to buy a teleporter, but they seem like a cool idea to have so dont worry if you already got one.

aengus
06-14-2008, 03:19 PM
having big time issues with shops loading, so not sure I will get done testing what I need @_@ but here is a peak at what I got so far LOL

Now the plan is you will sign my guest book, include your DIS name (requirement) and provide the name of your room to be linked. Sorry I think it will be more fun to provide the info IN game rather than on the boards.

Then I will review the guest book and link into the teleporter your room

anyways heres the beginning :)

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/8836/snag0053wb9.jpg

Goofy05
06-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Here is the Portal I have. I also took a pic of the configure section. You only need search for people and add them to your list.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3028/2578003745_ab3ba3223e_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3148/2578836212_ecb3d2e86b_o.jpg

aengus
06-14-2008, 03:31 PM
omg it has a hidden mickey at the top of the mirror @_@

What shop does that one come from?

aliceblue
06-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Nice idea, Aengus!I would also like to say I envision the room as a meeting place for maybe missions and the like, a place to load when you cant load your own room :rotfl:Unfortunately, if you can't load your own room, you can't even enter the game to load someone else's. But I suppose you're referring to our, uh, "alternate avatars".I bought a door ... I think that is a teleporter :confused3Nope, a door is simply a door, and really more of a decoration than anything since you don't actually use it to enter a room. The SmallWorlds teleporters are called "portals", there are at least three different styles in the shops.I dont know, but i have since learned you will not NEED a teleporter to join :)

My teleporter is enough to get to anyones room it seems.

so nobody HAS to buy a teleporter, but they seem like a cool idea to have so dont worry if you already got one.Actually, the portals are one-way only. Even if you configure all of our names in your portal list, we still need to have one in our room and configure the Dis room in our list if we want the portal access to be two-way.

While this would be fun, it really wouldn't save us any steps compared to entering the Dis room from a search. The characters do not "walk" into the portals the way we are used to from VMK; clicking on them brings up a list of rooms. We have to select the room that we want to visit, and click "go there". The same result could be achieved at no cost by saving the Dis room in "favorites", and that would be a good solution for those who don't want to buy a portal. I already have one so I'd love to make it a two-way access!

One nice thing about these portals is that you don't have to worry about blocking their entrance when decorating! Some of us enjoy hiding them, too. :rolleyes1

aengus
06-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Nice idea, Aengus!Unfortunately, if you can't load your own room, you can't even enter the game to load someone else's.Nope, a door is simply a door, and really more of a decoration than anything since you don't actually use it to enter a room. The SmallWorlds teleporters are called "portals", there are at least three different styles in the shops.Actually, the portals are one-way only. Even if you configure all of our names in your portal list, we still need to have one in our room and configure the Dis room in our list if we want the portal access to be two-way.

While this is fun, it really doesn't save you any steps compared to entering a room from the search. The characters do not "walk" into the portals the way we are used to from VMK; clicking on them brings up a list of rooms. You have to select the room that you want to visit, and click "go there". The same result can be achieved at no cost by saving each others' rooms in "favorites". But I certainly don't want to pour any cold water on the idea, and since I already have a portal I will join.

One nice thing about these portals is that you don't have to worry about blocking their entrance when decorating! Some of us enjoy hiding them, too. :rolleyes1

actually alice, if you log in and then type smallworlds/blah/home/disboards

and that room is loadable, you can get in even if your room wont load ;)

and I see it has limitations but the seach is no good if you dont know who you are searching for. It is a bit limited as compared to vmk, but I want to see how it works :)

aliceblue
06-14-2008, 04:13 PM
actually alice, if you log in and then type smallworlds/blah/home/disboards

and that room is loadable, you can get in even if your room wont load ;)

and I see it has limitations but the seach is no good if you dont know who you are searching for. It is a bit limited as compared to vmk, but I want to see how it works :)Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks. Maybe poor Aliceblue Vmker can wander around today then. :)

I edited my previous post a bit; the favorites is a good place to bookmark the Dis room location for handy access, so you don't have to search for it every time. (What I would have given to have that function in VMK!)

Aengus, you must have the room set to members only, because it says I don't have permission to enter the space.

aengus
06-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Oh, I didn't know that! Thanks. Maybe poor Aliceblue Vmker can wander around today then. :)

I edited my previous post a bit; the favorites is a good place to bookmark the Dis room location for handy access, so you don't have to search for it every time. (What I would have given to have that function in VMK!)

yes maybe you can dont use disboards as I locked that room up while i play

but feel free to try www.smallworlds.com/home/graciefairplay (http://www.smallworlds.com/home/graciefairplay)

it might be the difference, I havent logged in to see that my room is loading easily ROFL or maybe it could also be tied to the server you logged in at, I dont know. These are the things I guess we experiment with while in beta huh LOL

GoofyWaterCoaster
06-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Dis Boards is creepy

aengus
06-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Dis Boards is creepy

muahahaha :rotfl:

aliceblue
06-14-2008, 04:43 PM
yes maybe you can dont use disboards as I locked that room up while i play

but feel free to try www.smallworlds.com/home/graciefairplay (http://www.smallworlds.com/home/graciefairplay)

it might be the difference, I havent logged in to see that my room is loading easily ROFL or maybe it could also be tied to the server you logged in at, I dont know. These are the things I guess we experiment with while in beta huh LOLI was able to simply type my other character's name in the address to enter. How bizarre is this? If I do a search for myself it shows that Aliceblue Vmker's room is occupied, even though I can't get into it.

Be sure to let us know when the club house is open so we can sign up there. :)

aengus
06-14-2008, 04:44 PM
I noticed all the mules are lit up as online when you are online ROFL

egad, how embarassing getting caught like that LOL

I will open it up tonight even if i dont get the porter, just hoping I can :)

aengus
06-15-2008, 07:44 AM
OK, I opened up the room, feel free to sign up :)

sign the guest book, mentioned your DIS name and we can link you up?!?!

hahaha I am not sure this will work at all, but hey just trying to figure out how the DIS fits into this new world :)

Mnementh
06-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Woot! Finally a use for my teleporter. That was the first item I bought that wasn't for a mission.

In other news, why does Dis Boards look like a giant leprechaun?

aengus
06-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Woot! Finally a use for my teleporter. That was the first item I bought that wasn't for a mission.

In other news, why does Dis Boards look like a giant leprechaun?

haha the dis color is green (sigh... I know lime green but hey its the best i could do ROFL)

You dont need a telporter to be linked tho :) The teleporters are one way.

poohluv2u
06-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Nope, a door is simply a door, and really more of a decoration than anything since you don't actually use it to enter a room.

My door seems to work exactly like Mim's portal does .. maybe not all doors are created equal :confused3

aliceblue
06-16-2008, 01:45 PM
My door seems to work exactly like Mim's portal does .. maybe not all doors are created equal :confused3You beat me to it! I was just going to post about that:I bought a door ... I think that is a teleporter :confused3Nope, a door is simply a door, and really more of a decoration than anything since you don't actually use it to enter a room. The SmallWorlds teleporters are called "portals", there are at least three different styles in the shops.I stand corrected! The doors can be configured to teleport you to a single room. (As opposed to the portals, which can contain a list of multiple rooms.) This is pretty cool; when you click on it, it says "a doorway to" (the name of the room you have set it to)", then you simply click "enter". Again, this is one way only, but pretty nice if you like the visual elements of the doors better than the portals. If you own multiple rooms, you could link them to create a walk-through.

poohluv2u
06-16-2008, 01:57 PM
You beat me to it! I was just going to post about that:I stand corrected! The doors can be configured to teleport you to a single room. (As opposed to the portals, which can contain a list of multiple rooms.) This is pretty cool; when you click on it, it says "a doorway to" (the name of the room you have set it to)", then you simply click "enter". Again, this is one way only, but pretty nice if you like the visual elements of the doors better than the portals. If you own multiple rooms, you could link them to create a walk-through.

I was just going to edit my post to say it only lets you configure one room :laughing:

aengus
06-16-2008, 04:16 PM
the doors sound like a great way to tie our future spaces to our current ones @_@

Aimbier31
06-16-2008, 04:35 PM
i'm in the clubhouse right now anyone want to join me i just snuck in through illusionistics porter ;) p.s. can we add a pool to the club house?? and some chairs?:stir:

aengus
06-16-2008, 04:37 PM
i'm in the clubhouse right now anyone want to join me i just snuck in through illusionistics porter ;) p.s. can we add a pool to the club house?? and some chairs?:stir:

yes you can. feel free to gift them to dis boards :rotfl:

NedsTJ
06-16-2008, 04:55 PM
OK - I'm in there now...kinda sparse and the main room reminds me of ST:TNG...but that's ok!
When I click on the teleporter it lists that I can go to Gracie Fairplay's Crib or Cat's Garden.
Was it determined if we need to have a teleporter to link to it, or can a place just be added?

aengus
06-16-2008, 05:01 PM
OK - I'm in there now...kinda sparse and the main room reminds me of ST:TNG...but that's ok!
When I click on the teleporter it lists that I can go to Gracie Fairplay's Crib or Cat's Garden.
Was it determined if we need to have a teleporter to link to it, or can a place just be added?

just sign the guest book, and say who you are on the DIS :)

I will review the book tonight and add peeps :)

Take a look at gracie or shadows entries on the guest book if you have any confusion :)

Remember you dont need a teleporter to join also!!

Post 1 was updated to say what to do also

threeboysmom
06-16-2008, 05:05 PM
OK, I am now officially totally confused here....

What is this and what is the purpose again? :confused3

aengus
06-16-2008, 05:08 PM

What is this and what is the purpose again? :confused3

I dont have a real answer to this :rotfl:

We had a dis teleporter network in vmk, I am trying it here on smallworlds is the best I can tell you ROFL

Evoulie
06-16-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm confused.. rofl

aengus
06-16-2008, 05:22 PM
OK new rule @_@

If you are confused... stay out of my room :rotfl:

Gosh I was just trying to do something we could do as a group other than a dance party...

I am going to find my bff's you guys are lame!!!!

threeboysmom
06-16-2008, 05:45 PM
I dont have a real answer to this :rotfl:

We had a dis teleporter network in vmk, I am trying it here on smallworlds is the best I can tell you ROFL

You're just trying to get me into your room! :eek:

threeboysmom
06-16-2008, 05:46 PM
stay out of my room :rotfl:

Will you please make up your mind... :headache:

aliceblue
06-16-2008, 07:10 PM

What is this and what is the purpose again? :confused3I dont have a real answer to this :rotfl:

We had a dis teleporter network in vmk, I am trying it here on smallworlds is the best I can tell you ROFLI think the confusion stems from what we were used to in VMK; pairs of teleporters that worked to link two rooms together.

SW portals and doors don't come in pairs, and they only work one-way, so what Aengus seems to be creating is a central listing of Dis rooms that can be visited from his portal. We can each do the same thing if we want; buy a portal and list multiple rooms in it, including the Dis Club House. But we don't have to have our own portal in order to be reached from his portal.

It's very easy to "bookmark" rooms in our favorites, and some may prefer that method of accessing the club house, if they don't care whether visitors to their rooms can return the same way they came.

aengus
06-16-2008, 07:30 PM
OK looks like the experiment is starting to fail ROFL

one teleporter can link to 6 places only :rotfl:

So... either i need a BUNCH of teleporters or this will never work... more likely it will never work ROFL

aliceblue
06-16-2008, 07:47 PM
OK looks like the experiment is starting to fail ROFL

one teleporter can link to 6 places only :rotfl:

So... either i need a BUNCH of teleporters or this will never work... more likely it will never work ROFLNooo!........ :rotfl:

I have one I'd be happy to donate, but maybe we need to rethink this a bit.

aengus
06-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Nooo!........ :rotfl:

I have one I'd be happy to donate, but maybe we need to rethink this a bit.

yes definitely, filling up a room with porters is not a good idea ROFL

I think this experiment is over ROFL

thank you everyone for trying anyways :)

Goofy05
06-16-2008, 08:43 PM
oh no! It was a good thought, though.

aliceblue
06-16-2008, 09:12 PM
yes definitely, filling up a room with porters is not a good idea ROFL

I think this experiment is over ROFL

thank you everyone for trying anyways :)I still think the Club House is a good idea. Maybe we can simply find different ways to place our Dis "presence" in there, rather than trying to create a dedicated access.

Mamacita
06-16-2008, 09:19 PM
It's still an awesome idea to have a clubhouse, we can all bookmark it and gather there, who needs porters!
:hippie: Mamacita

aengus
06-17-2008, 06:02 AM
It's still an awesome idea to have a clubhouse, we can all bookmark it and gather there, who needs porters!

I do so plz give me your porters...

and...

can i haz some other stuff too because I am poor and home.less thx :)

tofubeast
06-17-2008, 07:47 AM

and...

Hey I wandered into your pad last night and you are rich. Look at all those fancy leather chairs! It looks like a fancy doctor's office with magazines and all!

And I also saw a picture of a boat... I mean a yacht! Just like the tall ships in Boston!

aengus
06-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Hey I wandered into your pad last night and you are rich. Look at all those fancy leather chairs! It looks like a fancing doctor's office with magazines and all!

uh...

you must mean someone else

plz everyone i am poor!!!

Mamacita
06-17-2008, 08:07 AM

and...

**Shivers at the flashbacks**

Whatever you decide to do with this room, I'm with ya :)
Tell me what you've already been given for the room and I'll get you something else, a game table or something if you decide against portals.

Disney Dreams
06-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Okay...

Here's my thought on this:

First, a few things to know about SW ports:
- They have limited number of rooms you can link to from 1.
- Ports are not needed to enter a room in SW. If you search for a person under "search," you can enter their home space as long as it is not locked - even if it's empty. (This is a KEY difference from what we are used to in VMK.)

Given the above, a port to link rooms is not necessary at all. The only thing we really need is a list of DIS members that exist in SW, along with their SW title and we have a sudden DIS network. Simple.

This can be done with a simple guest book in "The Club House," or with a stack of magazines, if Aengus wants to enter the links for everyone's homes.

Given how SW works, all we really need is a "I am here" and we have the network instantly.

- Dreams

aliceblue
06-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Given the above, a port to link rooms is not necessary at all. The only thing we really need is a list of DIS members that exist in SW, along with their SW title and we have a sudden DIS network. Simple.

This can be done with a simple guest book in "The Club House," or with a stack of magazines, if Aengus wants to enter the links for everyone's homes.

Given how SW works, all we really need is a "I am here" and we have the network instantly.

- DreamsI had thought of these as well. It might be difficult to allow Dis members to sign the guest book without allowing everyone else to though.

Putting our room links in the magazine stack is a good idea but might have the same limitations as the portals, as to how much it can hold. Anybody tested that out yet?

aengus
06-17-2008, 04:02 PM
**Shivers at the flashbacks**

Whatever you decide to do with this room, I'm with ya :)
Tell me what you've already been given for the room and I'll get you something else, a game table or something if you decide against portals.

haha i was teasing I have no idea what to do with the room now ROFL

Okay...

Here's my thought on this:

First, a few things to know about SW ports:
- They have limited number of rooms you can link to from 1.
- Ports are not needed to enter a room in SW. If you search for a person under "search," you can enter their home space as long as it is not locked - even if it's empty. (This is a KEY difference from what we are used to in VMK.)

- Dreams

yup thats all true, I was just hoping it would work out so we could look eachother up inside the game not just here.

Just thought it might be fun to do going room to room to see what others were building without having to work at it. Also I thought it would have been nice to bring something back we did in vmk, albeit a little different :)

Goofy05
06-17-2008, 06:07 PM
How about anyone who wants to be part of this Dis network put DIS in the beginning of their room titles, so they all come up in a search? Like mine would be: DIS Mimi's House or something. All anyone has to do is search DIS (space) and all the Dis rooms would be all together.
Just a thought...

aengus
06-17-2008, 07:27 PM
(pretend this is all caps because the dumbo editor wont let me scream)

OMG MIMS THATS NOT THE SAME THING!!!!!

GOSH!

Just sayin!

ETA: woah, it left the caps @_@

ShadowKittyKat
06-17-2008, 07:55 PM

GOSH!

Just sayin!

It leaves the caps if you have text before it that isn't all caps as well... XD

aengus
06-17-2008, 07:56 PM
It leaves the caps if you have text before it that isn't all caps as well... XD

ahhhh

so

WELL THANKS CAPTAIN OBVIOUS :rotfl:

Goofy05
06-17-2008, 08:32 PM

GOSH!

Just sayin!

GOSH! YOU SCREAMED SO LOUD I'M MUNCHING ON FEATHERS!
Just sayin'!

NedsTJ
06-22-2008, 06:51 AM
I found this interesting while reading thru the SW FAQ....something to look forward to:

6. What else do you have planned for SmallWorlds?
...We will be adding larger outdoor spaces where groups of players can build their homes and create new and interesting places for others to explore.

http://blog.smallworlds.com/faq/

I can envision a Dis Isle....would be neat to walk from room to room like a Main Street....
Isle of Dis?

aengus
06-22-2008, 07:46 AM
I found this interesting while reading thru the SW FAQ....something to look forward to:

http://blog.smallworlds.com/faq/

I can envision a Dis Isle....would be neat to walk from room to room like a Main Street....
Isle of Dis?

yes it would!

I had never paid much attention but recently I did realize the public spaces actually have owners. I wonder if thats the sort of thing we could possibly get our hands on @_@