PDA

View Full Version : Please make me feel better re: WL

mcgill93
06-10-2008, 02:09 PM
I made the mistake of reading the reviews of WL on Trip Advisor and now I am questioning my choice. I have only ever stayed at POR before (2 times) and loved it, but we chose WL this time for our early December vacation. Is it really as dirty, loud and horrible as the reviewers at Trip Advisor make it seem? Help!:(

gomagic
06-10-2008, 02:14 PM
I've stayed there several times and there has never been a problem. Also, I wouldn't read too much into some reviews because some people are never happy no matter what.

Ratpack
06-10-2008, 02:22 PM
WL is our absolute favorite place to stay. After all the visits we have made, I find it hard to see how anyone could say it was dirty, loud or horrible. If you are a light sleeper, there are areas that could be considered loud such as right off the lobby or over the service area, but as a whole, I believe WL to be a quiet place. As for dirty, there could have been a housekeeping issue for someone or their expectations too high. After all, it is still a hotel, just with a Disney name and theme.

I may have to go check trip advisor to see what was said. It is my experience that mostly bad reviews get posted on those sights. When we have great experience we tend not to go to a website and report them, but if we have a bad one, we want to tell everyone.

MollyMoo
06-10-2008, 02:28 PM
My goodness!! Can you really imagine a truly dirty Disney resort?!? WL is a great resort and try not to take reviews from anywhere too much to heart. Everyone's expectations are different and some people will never be satisfied. Have a great trip ... and quit reading reviews!

Thumper4me
06-10-2008, 02:31 PM
You won't be sorry!! You have picked a wonderful time of the year to stay at WL. The Christmas decorations in this resort are amazing!! I LOVE this resort during the winter time. :love:

Kelly

s&k'smom
We stayed at WL a number of times before we discovered GF but I have to say each time was awesome. Friendly, clean and what ambiance. Go and enjoy. Oh and the best part, at night coming back from MK on the boat when it's dark and seeing the lights as you head for the dock. It's wonderful.

MickeyNicki
We stayed there for our 10 year anniversary in Dec 2006 and it was unbelievable...we loved it from the minute we pulled up to the valet and they said "WELCOME HOME!"

The decor is so gorgeous, there was balloons, chocolates and a anniversary card from Mickey and Minnie inside our room (which was immaculate).

I would go back in a heartbeat!

mickeynut1
06-10-2008, 02:32 PM
The WL is our second favorite resort (running a close second to the Poly) and we have never had a bad stay. We have stayed there twice and are booked for our third stay in December; which, by the way, is the BEST time to be at the WL because of all the awesome Christmas decorations :santa:. In my opinion, the WL beats out all the other resorts when it comes to the holidays :cutie:. The WL is a beautiul resort and I don't think you will have any regrets once you get there. I have to say I agree with gomagic.....some people are just never happy no matter what, so I wouldn't put too much on the reviews you saw. Here's to a fabulous trip at the WL and being in Disney during the holiday season pixiedust:.

bolgers love wdw
06-10-2008, 02:32 PM
We love the WL!!! We have stayed there 8 times now in the past 4 years and have never had a bad stay. MY DH and his family have only ever stayed at the Poly (60 stays and counting since 1972!!) But when it came time for our honeymoon, I wanted to try something else, so we chose the WL. Well, after that trip my DH does not want to stay anywhere else. The lobby is breathtaking. I could sit in one of those comfy chairs all day long and just soak eveything all in from the music, the happeinings from WCC, and the bubbling brook!!!:cloud9:
I also want to add that the WL in December is absolutely beautiful with all the Christmas decorations!!! :thumbsup2
Just go and have a great trip and don't worry about somebody's review.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
06-10-2008, 02:33 PM
My family and I have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge a few times and each time it was very good, so you should have nothing to worry about.

pooh2001
06-10-2008, 02:34 PM
WL - sit it the lobby and take in the great red wood toten poles. Walk around the resort and look for animal tracks and geyzer.

The rooms are very nice. We did not have a problem. Refrigertor was a plus, so were the bunk beds.

The ambience of the resort is wonderful. Boat to MK is very relaxing with your coffee on your way in the early AM. We even saw MK fireworks from Bay Lake on the boat on the way back from MK one evening.

You will enjoy WL.

Here is a link to WL reviews:
http://land.allears.net/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=24&sort=8&cat=3&page=1

Cindy's Mom
06-10-2008, 02:42 PM
I'm beginning to hate trip advisor. You will LOVE WL. I'm am the furthest you can probably get from a Wilderness kinda gal....dh has wanted to stay there, so we did (you have to give in sometimes you know:rotfl2: ) Anyway, I LOVED the place and everything about it.

Go and enjoy. :goodvibes

WildernessBride
06-10-2008, 02:43 PM
I have been to WL many times...in fact I was married there back in 1998!! I love the Lodge and I never found it to be dirty or too loud....I think it's wonderful!!! We are returning for 10 nights soon to celebrate our 10th Anniversary and we are excited to be back "home." It really is a great resort and I am sure you will have a wonderful time! Have a great trip!

terri01p
06-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Hotel reviews are so subjective, sometimes it doesn't always have to do with how nice a place is, sometimes if the OP hasn't had a good time it reflects back on the hotel being crappy.

Case in point : I was at 1900 Park fare waiting for my buzzer to go off so we could be seated for a supper reservations and a family was going around filming their stay at the GF, they stopped close by me and and the lady said into the camera " the lobby area is a mess " and she filmed a half empty coke bottle and a newspaper sitting on a chair, 5 seconds later the owner reappeared claimed his paper and coke and went to be seated for supper.

So basically not all of the time is it bad, now there are times whenever people have gotten a dirty room etc so I'm not saying every complaint is false, but I would say most of the time the resorts are beautiful and it's in the eyes of the beholder.

ciera321
06-10-2008, 02:57 PM
In my opinion WL is the BEST resort to stay at during the holidays!!! The lobby is absolutely beautiful with the fireplace and gorgous tree. We stayed at WL once in December and once during the summer and both times were perfect. You'll hear good and bad about every Disney (and all other brands) resorts. You'll have a wonderful time!!! :goodvibes

eliza61
06-10-2008, 03:00 PM
I made the mistake of reading the reviews of WL on Trip Advisor and now I am questioning my choice. I have only ever stayed at POR before (2 times) and loved it, but we chose WL this time for our early December vacation. Is it really as dirty, loud and horrible as the reviewers at Trip Advisor make it seem? Help!:(

Please remember to take all reviews with a grain of salt. I willing to bet for every negative one you will get a resounding 10 glowing reports. I've never, ever had a dirty room at the WL. Not sure what they meant by loud. If you go to the lobby in the middle of a July day, sure I guess it may be loud with people going back and forth to the pool. I've never had a problem with loud guest in the hallways or the rooms.

We love WL and try to stay there as often as possible.

What reviews were you reading the first 10 were pretty good. Didn't read any further.

SpaceGirl
06-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Why do you need to feel better about staying at Wilderness Lodge?

Trip Advisor has it ranked # 16 out of 293 resorts in the area. The only Disney Resort even in the top 25 resorts.

The Lodge has also recieved the 2008 Travelers Choice Award-Best for Families.

The # 1 ranked resort Fairfield Inn & Suites Orlando International Drive only had 130 reviews...The Lodge has 486 reviews with most being the highest ratings. :confused3 Sorry I just don't see why you're worried.

kaysmommie
06-10-2008, 03:47 PM
WL is not dirty or loud. I think it's the cleanest resort we have stayed in at Disney. Our housekeeping was fantastic :thumbsup2 . I think almost every disney resort has a few bad reviews in Trip advisor. WL has some of the best reviews as does Poly. With a few bad reviews thrown in here and there. Try not to worry I'm sure you will have a pleasant stay at WL.

Disney Ella
06-10-2008, 03:50 PM
We stayed there last August and it wasn't dirty or loud at all. The WL has a beautiful setting and I think it is very peaceful. Yes, there's noise around the pool and at Whispering Canyon, but our room was very quiet. It was very nice going down to the beach at night to watch the water parade. The only thing I didn't like was the bus service.

Dodie
06-10-2008, 04:05 PM
The Wilderness Lodge is a Disney Deluxe Resort. It's beautiful, clean, and awe-inspiring. The Trip Advisor website is a haven for negative reports and negative people. People go there to COMPLAIN. Period. Grain of salt. Grain of salt.

marvel
06-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Have no fear of the WL it is a great resort. We stayed there in May as well as at the Poly and we much prefer WL. Fantastic atmosphere, the rooms were fine, good transportation, good food options. We paid a lot more for the Poly which is vastly overated on DIS imho.

mcgill93
06-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks so much for your responses! I read the reviews from last year around the same time I am going to see if the holiday season affected satisfaction with the hotel... apparently it did! I am still excited and hoping for the best!

mickeymoo
06-10-2008, 08:10 PM
I have read and posted reviews on trip advisor. In my opinion the reviews are pretty right on...one note to consider, posters on TA are usually regular travelers and mostly not overly experienced Disney fans like here...that being said, Wilderness Lodge is the top rated Disney hotel on that site. Our family loved Wilderness Lodge and thought that the Poly was just okay, although Poly is the most popular hotel on this site. So if you like the theming and know what to expect (and reading TA, you know the good and the bad) you'll be fine. And although I have never been during the holidays I hear it is fantastic. Don't worry! :)

TinkWink
06-10-2008, 08:27 PM
We stayed there in December - it was my first trip EVER to DW! I thought it was an awesome place to stay. I am incredibly picky when it comes to hotels and I thoroughly enjoyed the full week that WL was "home." I love the scale of the architecture and although the place is HUGE, I thought it had a great layout. We were almost all the way to the end on one of the side wings on the top floor, but it did not take long at all to get to the lobby, Roaring Forks (cut thru the rocks at the "spring") or the bus stop. It was so fun to walk out to the boat dock next to the guyser, which you could hear from the room if you had the balcony window open! We also stayed one night at Ft. Wilderness and I just love the style of both of those places - I would definitely return! I found both places to be clean and tidy and just a great overall experience.

I love to sit back, close my eyes and think of the nice music they pipe to the outdoors that I can hear as I head to the snack bar for a cup of hot cocoa/coffee in the morning. Simply beautiful!

TexasBee
06-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Does anyone know when they start putting up the holiday decorations? We are going to be there Nov 15 - 22 and while I think we'll probably be ahead of the decorating team, it would be lovely to see some of it.....

redc
06-10-2008, 09:31 PM
Please make me feel better re: WL

That'll be easy.....like convincing you that Christmas is a joy, or that your birthday will be fun.
You will be amazed at how beautiful WL is.
You'll look back and say how could those people have posted such negative things about this wonderful place?

:dance3:

letthewookiewin
06-10-2008, 10:55 PM
My family loves the WL. It felt more like home than a resort. I have been thinking about changing our ressie's at the Poly to the WL. (So far I'm only keeping the Poly b/c my DH let me book a MK view room.) When we got back to the resort each night, I was just as excited to get back to the WL as I was to get to the park in the morning. I never noticed that it was dirty. Our room was very quiet. DH and I usually have to sleep with a fan on high in our room, but we had no problem sleeping at all. I literally teared up and we drove up to it. Then as we walked into the lobby, I not only teared up, but it took my breathe away. Personally, I would keep the ressie and have a great time. Don't forget to rub the bear's nose.

Chicago262
06-10-2008, 11:36 PM
We are also huge fans of WL. I would like to someday try another resort, but I'm always afraid that it will not compare to WL and I don't want to be disappointed. My kids don't even want to discuss another resort...they are WL fans all the way! "Why mess with perfection" is their thought.

We have been there in Dec. and the decorations are gorgeous. You will not be disappointed.

tiger4me2
06-10-2008, 11:53 PM
WL is great nothing dirty about it. Maybe the poster on Trip Advisor had a bad experience. It always been clean & lived up to it's name to us. We go there every year. It great at Christmas time. :cool1:

Thumper_ehhhhh
06-11-2008, 03:16 AM
Just watch out for the rifraf from fort wilderness pool hopping :rotfl2: . We have never stayed at WL but when it first opened we checked it out. I must say it is one of the most beautiful resorts i've seen. I wouldn't worry about what trip advisor says. Most people on there just like to hear themselves complain.

GailT
06-11-2008, 05:48 AM
you will not be sorry :) about staying at WL especially at that time of year. I have 2 favorite hotels, BWI and WL and I am staying at WL for Christmas. I have stayed there many times and love it. I never have found it loud, I am not gonna say no noise at all but when you have kids you hear excitment, crying and whining at times. I love that hotel, I will be eating at AP for Christmas dinner :santa: , oh God I wish it was December. I can't wait to here the gentleman at the gate going into the resort say "WELCOME HOME" you will love it and be spoiled:love:

SplashMtnCrew
06-11-2008, 06:13 AM

We too had only stayed at POR once and then discovered WL! It is nothing like POR. POR was nice but WL is amazing! A total different vacation experience staying at WL. We are planning our next trip for Jan and we left the decision of which resort to stay at up to DH. He seriously considered BWI but said that he likes the water transportation to MK, CR, the campground and GF that we get at WL, so he choose the WL and went club level. You will not be sorry about your choice. We've not had problems with housekeeping, food, noise or anything. The electric parade is wonderful from the beach and the geyser is our DS's favorite thing :) he watches the clock whenever we are in our room, and runs to see it going off every chance he gets! WL is a vacation within a vacation. You will have a wonderful time! You may find that after the WL you won't want anything but deluxe in the future!

corinascot
06-11-2008, 06:16 AM
I often use Trip Advisor and I like it. It's great for finding reviews of hotels. I don't think I'd use it for WDW, though. There's so much more out there that's specifically Disney, like these boards.

That being said, did you notice that WL is the top rated Disney Hotel? It's #16 of 293 hotels in Orlando. I think that's pretty darn good. The next resort listed is AK at #26 and then GF at #30 and POP at #31. So, I think the WDW resorts do very well.

mskayjay
06-11-2008, 07:51 AM
I'm a TA user, poster, trip advisor. I think there is some very useful information to be gained from the site both about hotels and travel destinations.

That being said, I think it is also prudent to keep in mind that most people will go out of their way to complain about something that is wrong but will rarely go out of their way to give praise for excellence. This site is devoted to people who do nothing but go to WDW. Those sites are devoted to.....everyone! I love WDW and may get flamed for this but I know going in that I can get a MUCH nicer, larger room, with great ammenities in many other locations (including "near" WDW) for the same or better price than I am paying to be on site. But that is what I am paying for....being on site, the experience, my magical express transportation, my "resort fee" for transporatation, etc etc etc. I do believe that by and large WDW rooms are way too small especially in the Deluxe catergories, but again, I know going in what I'm paying for!

Bottom line, take everything you read anywhere with a grain of salt and look at averages not individuals. If more people would adopt our 2 for 1 rule (for every one complaint you feel compelled to make, find two things or people to praise and that means talking to the manager!) and I think we would see a definite shift in people's perspectives about places.

magicalfoursome
06-11-2008, 08:48 AM
We have stayed at WL twice - one of those times in late Nov/early Dec. We absolutely love this resort!!:love: It had a warm woodsie feel that is exactly perfect around the holidays. The 87-foot stone fireplace, the beautiful huge Christmas tree-- it is a beautiful resort. I am very picky about my hotel rooms- I will not stay if it is dirty. Rest assured that WL is a great choice! Have a wonderful trip!:santa:

MissionMouse
06-11-2008, 08:52 AM
I've stayed there several times and there has never been a problem. Also, I wouldn't read too much into some reviews because some people are never happy no matter what.I have found that some people are not happy unless their complaining. ::yes::

Dandy8
06-11-2008, 09:06 AM
We stayed there for 2 nights in Dec. 2006 following a cruise on the Disney Magic. It was wonderful and the christmas decorations are just beautiful. We had no problems with noise and cleanliness. In fact I wound up spending a lot of time in the room with my son having a stomach virus so I found it very nice.

At the time of check in I didn't realize that my room faced the MK (they must have upgraded us because I didn't pay for the MK view which I think is woods view). I was pleasantly surprised one night to go on the balcony and experience the fireworks show. It was very up lifting since I was at the room with my son while the rest of the family was actually at the MK experiencing it.

I would highly recommend it. I also have a friend that does frequent vacations to DW and always stays there.

Enjoy!

Alicnwondrln
06-11-2008, 09:10 AM
WL is so stunning. The lobby is amazing. I have stayed here several times in a courtyard view room and a concierge view room and it was awesome.

snoopywoodstockus
06-11-2008, 09:31 AM
DW and I agree. We stayed Dec 8-16 last year and it was WONDERFUL. You will love it.

troynkasey
06-11-2008, 11:07 AM
WL is a good chioce. We've been there twice before they renovated rooms in 2007 and then we went last summer after the new room renovations. It's a top notch resort. The thing I've found with most reviews is you get more people who want to complain about what went wrong than those who want to brag about how good it was. Ours was the best. It's absolutely my favorite place to stay. Just sometimes we want to stay longer and can't afford the higher prices for the Deluxe.

HARASW
06-11-2008, 11:20 AM

I stayed at the WL for the last 2 summers after staying at the GF for 8 summers, and will be returning to WL this summer. It is not any of the things that you have heard. It is a fun, family oriented hotel that is as clean as any other Disney hotel. It's a very relaxed atmosphere. I am so looking forward to returning this summer, even though my DH and DD can't make it.