PDA

View Full Version : WL or OKW??

DisneyMOM09
06-10-2008, 01:45 PM
Okay, would you choose 2 rooms at WL or a 2 bedroom villa at OKW? We are going to be a group of 5 adults and 2 children (one of which will be 2). We like the idea of the 2 bedroom villa, but we also like the proximity to MK that the WL offers. The price for the 2 bedroom villas at WL are a bit out of our comfort zone unless we are blessed and receive a discount. I don't want to depend on a discount I might not receive. My daughter(21) is a FL resident and an AP holder, so I guess there are those discounts to consider. (Are these discounts worth the effort?) I have done a little reading on the DVC boards and am aware that you can rent points, but really it all seems a little too complicated for me. Taking that out of the equation will I have a harder time trying to reserve a villa as opposed to a room? Trying to choose a resort is really making me crazy. TIA

Edited to add that we are planning to go May 2009

beccasmom
06-10-2008, 02:17 PM
A lot depends on when you are going. During the busiest seasons, it may be tough to get a villa; we were waitlisted at our home resort for early December last year and I never considered that a busy time before! :confused3 Being close to the MK is a great asset, but personally I would rather have the extra space of a villa. Plus, you will get a washer/dryer that would come in really handy and kitchen facilities are great too. OKW is the oldest of the DVC resorts, so it may be a little less expensive than the others, but the rooms are the most spacious. The bus transportation there is generally good, IMHO. Your other choices would be BCV and BWV, which are within walking distance of Epcot, but tough to book. SSR is another option which may work for you; it is such a large resort that it may have availability when the others are booked. Villas are really nice especially when kids are part of the trip because when they hit the hay for the night, the adults have plenty of other space and don't have to worry about tiptoeing around them! ;)

Ratpack
06-10-2008, 02:27 PM
As much as I love WL, I would have to choose the 2BR over the two rooms.

spiceycat
06-10-2008, 03:07 PM
yes the florida resident discount is worth looking into.

It can save you some money.

also were you looking at VWL or suites at WL for the 2-bedroom at WL.

you need to call back and ask about 2-bedroom at VWL and see if those prices are better.

if you were looking at VWL and it is too high - would also go with OKW. OKW only has bus transportation but most of the time it is pretty good.

ObsessedwiththeMouse
06-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Personally, I would go with OKW. I love the theming much better than that of WL.

Good luck!

DisneyMOM09
06-10-2008, 03:25 PM
yes the florida resident discount is worth looking into.

It can save you some money.

also were you looking at VWL or suites at WL for the 2-bedroom at WL.

you need to call back and ask about 2-bedroom at VWL and see if those prices are better.

if you were looking at VWL and it is too high - would also go with OKW. OKW only has bus transportation but most of the time it is pretty good.

If we chose WL we would need 2 standard rooms. The villas are a little out of reach for us. Thanks for the FL resident info. Now can we use the discount even though only one person(my daughter) is a FL resident? If we book 2 separate rooms I understand that it would only be able to be used on the one room where my daughter would be staying, but how does it work with a villa?

chepic
06-10-2008, 03:43 PM
I am a DVC member, own in OKW and have stayed in just about all the hotels/condos and IMHO OKW is the best. The rooms are bigger, the 1 and 2 bedroom villas are spacious, full cooking capabilities which is so convenient in the morning; there is the washer and drier--pack less clothing; the master bedroom has a king bed and a 2 person jacuzzi; the golf course is beautiful, and you actually forget you are in Disney and can relax in the room; all of the transportation is available, and the buses run every 20 minutes during the peak times; there is a ferry to downtown disney; and most of all, when you check in they say "welcome home" :goodvibes which I just can't get enough of.

Now as for cost, OKW is the least pricey of all the DVC places, however, it is not a bad thing to go on this board and ask for the specific dates you want and state that you would like to spend $10/point.....it will cost less than going through Disney, you can probably get the time you want without a problem (home resorts get a 3 month window booking advantage), and you will be staying as a member, so can get some of the member perks.

Hope this helps with your question. Have fun.

che

tgropp
06-10-2008, 04:13 PM
I have stayed at the WL many times , my home resort is there and I love it the most of all the Disney resorts.....but if I had to make the choice of 2 standard rooms at the Lodge or a 2 BR at OKW, my hands down choice would be OKW. The amount of room in those 2 BR units are amazing.JMHO