PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans Riverside or keep POP?

disneydreamgirl
06-09-2008, 10:52 PM
We (myself, DH and DS (10)) are booked for POP for free dining in September and I'm weighing the options of changing to POR. Not sure we'll spend tons of time at POP, however most days we plan to 1) take a break in the mid-afternoon after early morning in a park, go back to the resort to relax/swim and then get ready and leave for dinner or 2) go from early morning at a park to a waterpark at midday, then return to quickly get ready for dinner and go back out.

I've heard mostly good things about POP at free dining time, however the odd comment leads me to believe it may be overrun there at certain times of the day. We are early risers though, so I'm not sure that we would have issues with bus overcrowding or food court timing.

Looking for more food for thought from the experts, especially those who have stayed at either of these resorts last year at free dining time - lay it on me, please!:goodvibes

Tammysue5
06-10-2008, 02:29 AM
We went last year for our first WDW vacation and stayed at POR.. we LOVED IT! it was truly a beautiful place to stay. With that being said, my kids (DD6, DD9, DS17, DS19) are so EXCITED that we are staying at one of the all stars. (family suite at Music) Even DS17 said he is looking forward to being in a hotel that 'feels like Disney from the minute you walk out the door." I had thoughts of going back the the POR, but am now excited because the kids are excited.

canron
06-10-2008, 08:19 AM
we stayed at pop1 time..and that was it..it was packed at all times..itsa the biggest resort thwere and is 4 floors..you wait for elevators..food court..and busses..at the parks you will wait an hour for bus it very noisie..walls are paper thin...

disneydreamgirl
06-10-2008, 09:41 AM
I have stayed at POP once before and we quite enjoyed it. It was at a very quiet time in the parks (end Feb/beg. March this year) and the only day we actually saw any number of people was the day we slept in and went down to have breakfast in the food court. Otherwise, we rarely waited more that 5-10 minutes for a bus at POP and in the parks only one night that wait was over 15 minutes. I know this may not be usual for September, though.

peyjax
06-10-2008, 10:50 AM
I have stayed at both during free dining. Things seemed to change every year with free dining. The resorts always seem to get more crowded. I honestly can say that I did not notice a difference between POP and POR when it came to crowds. POR setting was more relaxing and nicely landscaped so it felt less crowded when walking around however when you were in the food court or on the busses they were the same. The crowds are going to be at these resorts because they have 2000 + rooms and they seem to be the most popular at their levels.

The pool is nicer at POR with a hot tub if that is important. POP offers a great value and if money is an issue than I would probably stick with the values. If you are breaking the bank to stay at a mod I would say it definatly is not worth it. A deluxe IMHO is a different story.

We stayed at the ASSports and that was the least crowded of the three and the bus service was also the best out of the three. POP is fun though with the bright colors and fun food court, however it is hard to beat lower crowds and better bus service. JMH.O:)

angiejg
06-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Just got back from POR and LOVED it! The pool was wonderful, plus there are several quiet pools if you don't want to go to the big pool with the water slide. We also enjoyed the pool bar for frozen drinks. The food court was very nice. We liked the create your own salad and pasta areas very much. Our room was a long walk to the main area, but very close to a bus stop which was great after a long evening at the parks. The resort never seemed crowded to us. I never even saw anyone coming out of the rooms near us. It was almost like we were there alone. The pool did get crowded at times, but it's big and we never had a problem getting lounge chairs. We would definitely stay there again. We've stayed at the polynesian and really couldn't believe that we paid so much more for a deluxe. POR seemed deluxe to us!

Angie

disneydreamgirl
06-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Bump...I need some advice!

dclfun
06-10-2008, 08:58 PM
We have taken advantage of FD for the past several years and have always stayed at a value resort. This year we're back at Pop although it was a struggle between Pop and ASMusic. As we choose 10-14 nights I just can't justify the costs to jump up to a moderate. As DVC owners we get to "go deluxe" on other trips. I do find the food courts to be overwhelmingly crowded and the bus stops crowded too but it helps to remember we're on vacation and not in a hurry. A moderate will be more relaxing, no doubt- so if you need to feel more of a sense of relaxation on this trip then you might feel as though you're living in the theme parks with a value...crowds, noise, crowds and more crowds.---Kathy

Wildhog
06-10-2008, 09:24 PM
My experience of Value resorts around Free dining, is very busy and noisy, as previously mentioned, Riverside is likely to be the more peacefull of the two.

aubriee
06-11-2008, 02:34 AM
We will be down there Sept 6th-14th and was undecided between POP, AS Sports, POFQ, and PORS. We went with PORS. We decided we wanted a more quiet, relaxing vacation this year and also wanted the boat to DTD, the fridge in the room, the noise of the ceiling fans in the rooms, nicer pools, the jazz club at night, a hot tub for our sore feet, the river winding through the resort, and a sit down restaurant (in case we didn't feel like keeping an ADR one night). Because of the sheer size of PORS we are hoping the resort will be more quiet and relaxing.

We've been every year free dining was offered and always chose a value resort (POP twice and AS Music last year). Because free dining is such a great deal at the Values, the Values seem to be packed during that time of year. Then again, PORS may also be packed during that time of year, but we still wanted to try it. Even though we usually don't go back to the room during the day we did so last Sept because it was just too hot and humid to stay in the parks all day. It would have been nice to have a nice landscaped shady resort with a bigger room and a fridge to come back to, instead of all the asphalt and smaller rooms at a Value.

daughterlovesgoofy
06-15-2008, 09:39 PM
we just got back from the POFQ and it was beautiful. We have stayed at POP and decided to upgrade. BOth of my DD9 and 10 were very disappointed with the resort. They loved the theme of Pop and frozen cola machine. They were also disappointed with the arcade. It was very nice but a little too relaxed for them and did not have a ticket/token redemption counter. When we stayed at POP they drove us crazy wanting to go to the arcade and only asked one time at POFQ. My husband and I liked the more relaxed atmosphere but again the girls did not. I did not notice a difference in the bus service, IMHO I think it just depends on the luck of the buses, but that is just us. If we return anytime in the future we will be staying at POP again.

redsox721
06-16-2008, 07:22 AM
We have stayed at both. If you want quiet, stay at POR. If you like more noise, stay at POP. If I was to choose between the two resorts, we would pick the POP. My young adult children even like the POP as much as the Poly (we have stayed at the Poly numerous times also)

We were at the POP in mid May. Did not have any problems with the elevators being crowded since we used the stairs (we were on the 4th floor). No problems with the food court or pool being crowded. The buses system was wonderful. Only once did we skip the bus and use our car.