PDA

View Full Version : Which Moderate and Why For My Novemember Trip??

mintywinty127
06-09-2008, 05:34 PM
I'm not going to tell you what I am like or my preferences because I want to know which moderate you like, not which moderate you think I will like.

So go ahead, say anything you want.
I have never been to disney world by the way.

mickeynut1
06-09-2008, 06:02 PM
:welcome: to the DIS. We have only stayed at one moderate and that was CBR in July 2002; and although it was 6 years ago, we loved our stay there :cutie:. We thought the resort was beautiful and had a great pool ::yes:: (although I hear the pool is being refurbed and is supposed to be even better than it was :woohoo:). But I'm sure there will be others coming along with more recent experience at CBR as well as some of the other mods ;). Have fun here on the DIS.....you will get a wealth of information :disrocks:. Have a great trip and happy planning :dance3:.

Aurora63
06-09-2008, 06:03 PM
I love Riverside. It is big, but feels very quiet and relaxing. There is a boat to DTD. We are staying there again in July.

bluwater
06-09-2008, 06:09 PM
Hi Minty.

I can only tell you about the mod we have stayed at - and we hae only stayed at one - CSR.

I chose it (and loved it) for the following reasons:

1. It has more amenities than the other mods. I love to get more for less - so this one fit the bill.

2. The pool is awesome - the water slide was so entertaining for my daughter. I loved the fact that I could sit by the pool and have cocktails from the cantina while she enjoyed the water.

3. We found the resort to be very tranquil. It is large, but is also very spread out and quiet.

4. It is more sophisticated - not screaming with babies, toddlers, mickeys, strollers, diapers, running kids, etc. My daughter is older and we are past that. She gets to be in Disney World and I get a little vacation time and some oeace at the resort (cus you don't get it at the parks!:scared1: ).

5. The Pepper Market is my all-time favorite restaurant of the mods. IMO, it is FAR above the other mod dining options. I can get what I want and my daughter can get what she wants. There's mexican, chinese, italian, pizza, american, salads, sandwiches.....everything....! And,well, yes, cocktails and beer :)

6. I found that the busses were so easy to reach and were never crowded. I think I read that CSR has it's own busses. It seemed so. This is a huge plus when it's midnight and MK is closing and eveyone is packing the busses and the kids are cranky and melting down. It is nice to get on without waiting for 3 busses to load up ahead of you.

7. There is bell service at CSR. You can be driven by large golf cart to the lobby or to your room - with or without your luggage. We used this feature.

We stayed at CSR last April, over Easter Break. We went back to WDW for free dining in August and stayed at AsM....but we ate plenty of meals at CSR - and felt pangs for missing it - but my daughter loved AsM. We are going back in July and statying Deluxe - but will still make our way to the Pepper Market to dine!

DrDeb
06-09-2008, 06:11 PM
love Riverside or French Quarter...both a little piece of heaven so you can hit the parks and have a beautiful setting to come 'home' to....:lovestruc

CMASmom
06-09-2008, 06:32 PM
We recently went to CSR. I chose it because of the rave reviews from this board and I was not disappointed. It was a beautiful resort-my kids loved the pool and the amenities were terrific. I highly recommend it. It is a big place but I enjoy walking and didn't find it too much. We hardly had to wait for a bus (10 minutes tops). I highly recommend it. I have not been to any of the other mods so cannot compare.

skipperkim
06-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Count me in as a POFQ lover. It has its own bus stop at MK in the evening, a boat to DTD, a secluded hot tub, Elliot Dyson at Scat Cats Wed-Sun evening, beignets in the food court, and lovely landscaping. While it does share buses with POR, you are picked up and dropped off first so you'll have a seat going to the park. If you have to stand coming back it won't be long.

irishjules
06-09-2008, 06:55 PM
POFQ - I stayed there for my bachelorette party and then again with my 2 kids a few years ago. I love it and although I am a resort hopper POFQ is by far my favorite for the "intimate feel"! The pool is great and it is an easy walk to the pool at Riverside too!

SHbeaches
06-09-2008, 07:21 PM
I've only been to disney once and that was back in 1997 when CSR was just built. That's were we stayed. We loved it! Everything about it. I agree with another poster about The Pepper Market, delish! I loved the smell of it in the morning. The only thing I didn't like was the walk from here to there, it was a real pain in the you know what. Well anyway were taking our 8 year old son this year in November and it was very hard to part with CSR but I decided to give CBR a chance. You never know right? I hoping we'll love it, they're putting in a new pool so that should be nice. Good luck and welcome.

kat3668
06-09-2008, 07:30 PM
CSR is my fave moderate resort.....

Why

Awesome buses:cool1:

Great food - pepper market is a counter service if you are on the dining plan:thumbsup2

More adult feel not Disney in your face 24/7 :worship:

Great pool/ waterslide:)

Beautiful grounds:lovestruc

health club/ spa :banana:

LOVE LOVE LOVE CSR!!!! :yay: :dance3:

mintywinty127
06-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Unless somebody convinces me otherwise, I'm pretty sure its between coronado or one of the port orleans.

But which?:faint:

kaffinito
06-09-2008, 10:09 PM
POR, of course! :goodvibes

POR has it all, a TS restaurant, a very good CS restaurant, and room service (check out the reviews on allears.net)

Boats and bikes to rent as well as the Ferry to DTD!

Carriage rides along the Sassagoula river to POFQ

A very well laid out main pool with a great pool bar and several smaller quiet pools

A lounge with good entertainment

Two different types of hotel, the AB section which is rustic and the Mansion section which is more old-world-south sophisticated

....and you can also use the amenities of its sister resort POFQ which is a short stroll upriver. :hyper:

KatMark
06-09-2008, 10:22 PM
CSR!!!!!
We love the CSR. We have stayed six times and will soon stay for number seven (and hubby offered me deluxe because it is our 25th anniversary and I still chose CSR without hestitation). Why? Here are my answers (in no particular order)

1. The beauty of the resort
2. The quietness of the resort
3. DH and I love sitting in the hammocks at night and looking out over the lake when the sun has gone down and the lights are reflecting off the lake or walking around the Casitas with the fountains all lit up
4. The Main Pool and the quiet pools (our boys do not travel with us anymore as they are 22 and 20 and in college; but CSR was always their favorite resort for the pool, slide, playground, arcade, hot tub and volleyball court)
5. The Spa/Fitness Center (I use the spa and DH sometimes uses the Fitness Center--although on vacation he doesn't like to as he gets enough walking in)
6. The Pepper Market--best counter service on the dining plan
7. The Gift Shop--one of the biggest I have seen at a resort
8. The friendliness of the CM's and we have always had terrific mousekeeping

I can't comment on the buses because we always have a rental car. But I have talked to other guests during our numerous stays and they have told me it is the best service they have ever experienced at Disney. There are bike rentals, boat rentals and fishing as well.

Overall, it has a lot of the things you can get at a deluxe for a lot less money. And it truly is a beautiful resort.

mintywinty127
06-09-2008, 11:07 PM
The two posts above this one made my decision even harder :rotfl2:

aubriee
06-10-2008, 03:17 AM
I've stayed at POFQ, CSR, and CBR and will be trying PORS in Sept.

In order of preference:

1. POFQ- pros: smallest resort on property so nothing is very far away, first stop going to and from the parks, boat to DTD, beignets at food court, Scat Club, friendlest CMs, hot tub is secluded, can use pools at PORS (because they are sister resorts). cons: none

2. CSR-pros: best bus service of all the moderates because conventioneers are in meetings all day, biggest hot tub on property, spa and health club, Casitas and Cabana sections are beautiful, best food court on property if you are on the DDP. cons: resort is TOO big, lots of walking, may get stuck way out in the ugly Ranchos, CMs not friendly, CMs racing around on those little carts will run you off the sidewalk, conventioneers everywhere (we had a run in with a bunch of drunks at a quiet pool)

3. CBR-pros: pretty, rooms are a little larger than the other moderates. cons: TOO big (they have a dedicated internal bus just for getting around inside the resort), even a preferred room may be a good distance from the food court, issues with housekeeping (came back one night to find my door had been left propped open all day), awakend early two mornings by housekeeping wanting to get an early start, buses take forever just to get out of CBR complex, bad food court, rude CMs

Buzz2001
06-10-2008, 06:02 AM
CSR!! Great main pool area, terrific transportation and awesome food options. Check out my CSR website below for pics and info.

http://i2.tinypic.com/vmu4jn.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/71mk3fr.jpg

Mickey23
06-10-2008, 08:38 AM
CSR is my pick! I love the landscaping, atmosphere and tropical feel of the resort. I feel like its a vacation within a vacation.

ols386
06-10-2008, 08:58 AM
My vote would be for Port Orleans Riverside (POR). We've also stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort and Coronado Springs. All three resorts are pretty large. I think the grounds of POR are the prettiest. The boat transportation to Downtown Disney is nice. We really liked the food court at POR also. We didn't like the Pepper Market at Coronado Springs, just a personal opinion, I guess. Any of the three are nice, but again, our preference is POR. Have fun!!

SHbeaches
06-10-2008, 12:24 PM
I've stayed at POFQ, CSR, and CBR and will be trying PORS in Sept.

In order of preference:

1. POFQ- pros: smallest resort on property so nothing is very far away, first stop going to and from the parks, boat to DTD, beignets at food court, Scat Club, friendlest CMs, hot tub is secluded, can use pools at PORS (because they are sister resorts). cons: none

2. CSR-pros: best bus service of all the moderates because conventioneers are in meetings all day, biggest hot tub on property, spa and health club, Casitas and Cabana sections are beautiful, best food court on property if you are on the DDP. cons: resort is TOO big, lots of walking, may get stuck way out in the ugly Ranchos, CMs not friendly, CMs racing around on those little carts will run you off the sidewalk, conventioneers everywhere (we had a run in with a bunch of drunks at a quiet pool)

3. CBR-pros: pretty, rooms are a little larger than the other moderates. cons: TOO big (they have a dedicated internal bus just for getting around inside the resort), even a preferred room may be a good distance from the food court, issues with housekeeping (came back one night to find my door had been left propped open all day), awakend early two mornings by housekeeping wanting to get an early start, buses take forever just to get out of CBR complex, bad food court, rude CMs
I hate all this negative talk about CBR! I'm already booked there for november and now I'm wishing I stuck with good ol CSR! Okay I'm officially upset! So much for trying new things!

fall08CP
06-10-2008, 01:47 PM
I hate all this negative talk about CBR! I'm already booked there for november and now I'm wishing I stuck with good ol CSR! Okay I'm officially upset! So much for trying new things!

Sometimes your preferences are different than those on this board- I learned that the hard way. I read stellar reviews of POR and stayed there for a day and hated it:worried:
My two cents?
:cool1: C:banana: S:yay: R!!!::cool1:

Steven41782
06-10-2008, 01:49 PM
POFQ! - compact, can sit and watch the river, carriage rides, awesome CM's, boat to downtown disney, pool was not crowded for us!

We've stayed at CSR. It was bigger and the food court seemed more expensive. We still had a GREAT time, but POFQ is just more romantic and intimate feeling.

We will not stay at CBR because when we visited there on one trip there were lizzards everywhere and my wife started jumpin' around and freaking out... she said we couldn't stay there. (I'm sure there are lizards at all resorts, but this is why we don't stay at CBR)

adaygaby
06-10-2008, 02:11 PM
another vote for ..... C S R :thumbsup2

I've stayed there twice. Love the atmosphere, has its own buses to each park, LOVE the Pepper Market, great room service, Great pool and slide...It is a conference resort and you will see people in suits, slacks, etc...(I've been to conferences there as well), but again these people are in their conference most part of the day. Which equals less people on the buses, at the market, at the pool...etc etc

As another DISer posted....love looking at the lake at night in the hammocks or by the sand in the "beach".

Look at ******** website...he has done a great job creating this SITE (**************************************) with tons of info on CSR.

Enjoy your trip to disney!!!

4forWDW
06-10-2008, 03:44 PM
I would recommend looking at the pictures of the resorts and decide by which theming appeals to you:goodvibes
We have stayed at POFQ, POR and CSR and have loved all!
Enjoy your stay:thumbsup2

SHbeaches
06-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Does CSR have an arcade?

karajeboo
06-10-2008, 03:57 PM
I've only stayed at CSR and POR - did not care for POR overall, maybe jaded by our horrible meal at Boatwrights!

Both are lovely resorts, but I love the theming at CSR better. Just a personal opinion. As for TS restaurants, do not even include Boatwrights in that category! So there is a plus for Maya Grill at CSR.

Both resorts are very large, so you could be doing some walking. I think at this point, it comes down to personal preference as far as theming. Despite what I read on the boards, I want to stay at CBR too, just to try some place new!

nikki'smom
06-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Definitely CSR!! We love it. The atmoshpere is awesome and you won't find a prettier resort at night when it is all lite up.

KatMark
06-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Does CSR have an arcade?

Yes, the CSR has an arcade located next to he playground by the Dig Site pool.

jdd
06-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Just had to chime in here - because our favorite is CBR!!

Haven't stayed at POR or POFQ yet - are planning POR for the fall since we're now a 5-person family and that's the only mod you can do 5 in a room - but we stayed at both CBR and CSR and CBR is the hands down favorite. Theming is FANTASTIC - beautiful grounds, friendly CMs, better food court than CSR (IMHO) and we loved watching the Epcot fireworks from the beach at night. Everyone talks about it being "too big", but we didn't find that at all. We stayed in Jamaica, and it was right across the "island" from the food court, main pool, etc. The walk to the food court was so peaceful and beautiful - my 10-year old made me wake him each morning so he could walk to the food court with me for our "take out" breakfasts!

Also, the rooms are bigger than at the other mods (340 ft compared to 314 ft) - not much, but helped us since we had a pak n play in the room with us. I only wish we could stay there again :(

Good luck with your decision!

Flyerfan
06-10-2008, 07:56 PM
Aaaah! POR! :love: This was the first Disney resort DH and I stayed at and loved it. Didn't want to leave and every time we go back, no matter where we stay we visit POR. The only other Mod we tried was POFQ and didn't like it. If you like long leisurely walks, the boat to DTD :thumbsup2 , beautiful landscaping and just a laid back feel go for POR. They have a great arcade, great restaurant (Boatwright's) and everyone is just so friendly.

Neesy228
06-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Another vote for CSR. We love it there - the grounds are beautiful - especially in the evening hours. The food is great, the main building is beautiful, the atmosphere is fantastic. LOVE IT! :thumbsup2

crusoe2
06-10-2008, 09:30 PM
We're going in Oct and will be staying at CBR for the third time. I always consider staying somewhere new but keep being pulled back to CBR. Even after two visits we haven't completely explored or enjoyed all the resort has to offer. It is a little large - we had a room in Trinidad South on our first trip and it was quite a hike up to the pool and food court. But even though most folks try to avoid that section of the resort, it definitely has its own charm. The walk to OPR was beautiful and peaceful, it was very quiet, there was a beautiful and secluded courtyard right outside our door, and the bus stop for our village was right around the corner from our room rather than out on the far edge of the parking lot. I would always prefer a room closer to OPR but I would take one in Trinidad South again - no problem. And we can't wait to check out the new pool. We pretty much let our 5yo DD pick the resort for this trip and she picked CBR again mainly because of the new pool. We seriously considered CSR because we've read so many good things about the bus service, food court, etc and it does look beautiful. But ultimately we picked the resort theme that appealed the most. My reasoning is that if we really love the ambiance of the resort, we won't mind so much if things don't go smoothly every minute (and that is probably going to happen no matter where you stay). But if the resort theme just doesn't capture our imaginations, all those little annoyances and glitches will seem much worse.

Take Your Pick
06-10-2008, 11:13 PM
We've stayed at CSR and PORiverside.

We thought that POR was the best value of the moderates because the grounds were so incredible and the boat to Downtown Disney is almost a ride itself!

If we only had four to a room, I'd go for the Mansions, but we had five in our family when we went. The French Quarter also seemed quaint.

Both pools are well-themed if you have children.

CSR had quite a walk to the food courts compared to POR....

Amy&Dan
06-11-2008, 12:32 AM
My favorite is CBR. I loved the pretty buildings, the rooms were just a tad bigger and that made a nice difference for my family of four (we travel with our twin sized airbed and it fit more comfortably at CBR), the nicest quiet pools, we had wonderful cm's and bus service there. We also enjoyed the food court and the main restaurant. It just felt like a vacation within a vacation. You can rent a surrey bike or boat, and at night you can sit on a hammock and gaze at the stars and the high fireworks of Illuminations. You are very centrally located. In fact, if you look at a map of WDW, CBR is about dead center. Once CBR gets its new pool, I think it will just make the resort all the better. If you love tropical, lush landscaping and a quiet, laid back atmosphere, CBR is perfect.

I also love POR, love the boat ride to DTD, the main pool is awesome and the theming is so cool. Its my second pick for a moderate. I prefer to have a rental car at POR, since they share busses with POFQ and are picked up and dropped off after that resort. Its not huge but at times it can be a pain. It wouldn't sway me however and if I didnt' have a car, I'd still stay there in a minute. I love the Alligator Bayou section for the theming and the trundle bed!

I also love French Quarter, its charming and a nice compact size. And CSR is really lovely too. I can't say FQ or CSR are distant choices for me because I love them both and had wonderful stays there. I just love CBR so much and POR is a close second.

As you can see by my sig, CBR is my next choice for a moderate! I don't hink you can make a bad choice at all, they are all four wonderful resorts with a lot of theming and so much to offer. I can't imagine now enjoying any of them. Good luck with your decision!

Amy&Dan
06-11-2008, 12:36 AM

If it will make you feel any better, I absolutely loved CBR. I didn't think it was too spread out, we weren't preferred and our walk to the food court was no longer than my walks at CSR or POR. The new pool will be open for your stay, the resort is lovely, you can see Illuminations from various spots around the resort and the landscaping, theming and quiet pools are all wonderful. The rooms are also just a tad bigger and the double sinks in the bathroom are all nice.

I would clear your head and keep an open mind and just be excited. CSR is wonderful and if you would prefer it and think you made a mistake, just change (you probably still have plenty of time). But honestly, to me CBR is sheer heaven. CSR gets it share of bad reviews too. Just ignore them, they'll drive you crazy!