PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle the dirty laundry

iluvdizknee
06-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Ok, just thought I would get some imput on this. We are going for 2 weeks. Usually, I do laundry one afternoon while my family is swimming. Where do you put the dirties in the room. A suitcase? A portable folder hamper? :confused3 Would love to hear what everyone does?

Atchley
06-09-2008, 09:02 AM
We took a pop up hamper last time. Best money I invested on the trip! It was great just grabbing the hamper and going to the laundry. I usually do laundry once while everyone is swimming too. The thing I liked most is not having that pile of dirty clothes in the corner on the floor. Not coming home with a bunch of dirty clothes is nice too.
We also take a few clothespins to hang our swimsuits in the bathroom on the line. They always seem to slide off there if they aren't pinned.

justcantwait
06-09-2008, 09:04 AM
We do the portable pop-up hamper. Folds nice & flat in the suitcase, and keeps all the dirty clothes in one place! Of course, I don't like doing laundry on vacation, so they just stay there until the night before we leave, when it gets stuffed back into the suitcae:rotfl2: Anyway, it works for us. Good luck!

Kathy

Bev J
06-09-2008, 09:08 AM
I put a large trash bag in our suitcase, I leave the suitcase on it's end in the corner with the zipper unzipped the bag arranged inside so it is easy to drop the dirty stuff right in the bag. Roll the air out of the bag when it is time to go home. That way all the dirty stuff is in one bag and away from clean items. I can remove the trash bag when we get home and toss it into the laundry room
If your doing laundry at the resort then you can just wheel the suitcase or carry the trash bag to the laundry room.
Go to the freebie thread on the budget board and sign up for all the free laundry soap- it will come in single load packs and make sure to pack some dryer sheets too- that stuff all gets expensive.

Bev

ObsessedwiththeMouse
06-09-2008, 09:09 AM
We put our dirty clothes in the "dry cleaning" bags that are left in the closets. Then, we load them up into one particular suitcase, until that one gets full...and so on...

LindaR
06-09-2008, 09:10 AM
I guess it depends on how many are in your party! It just dd19 and me. So we always designate the bottom drawer in the dresser as the place to put our dirty clothes. Works for us!

disneysuncat
06-09-2008, 09:16 AM
We use these giant ziplock plastic bags, works great for separation, and it can easily be stored back in the suitcase or drawer.

amscherm
06-09-2008, 09:26 AM
We use a pop up hamper in the corner of the room - it was a great investment of a $1 a the Dollar Store - LOL...

rkwells
06-09-2008, 09:27 AM
I put a large trash bag in our suitcase, I leave the suitcase on it's end in the corner with the zipper unzipped the bag arranged inside so it is easy to drop the dirty stuff right in the bag.
If your doing laundry at the resort then you can just wheel the suitcase or carry the trash bag to the laundry room.

Bev

I usually do the trash bag in the corner thing. We always pack light and do a few loads of laundry as we need to using bags to carry laundry back and forth.

I LOVE the idea of using the rolling suitcase! (Why didn't I think of that??:idea: )

Dawn68PA
06-09-2008, 09:33 AM
We use our suitcases. When we arrive I unpack everything out of our suitcases and put our clothes into the dressers. Then we have empty suitcases to put our dirty clothes in. If I do want to wash something, It's in a bag on wheels I can take to the laundry. ;)

Manda
06-09-2008, 09:35 AM
We use these giant ziplock plastic bags, works great for separation, and it can easily be stored back in the suitcase or drawer.

That's what we do, too, I pack our clothes into a Zip-Loc Big Bag in our suitcase (depending on my plan, I'll use an XL for each person's stuff or one XXL for everyone's together). After an incident where my suitcase sat on the tarmac during a rain storm and soaked everything inside, I've learned to pack everything in the suitcase in waterproof bags. Once we get to the resort, I dump the bag and put it on the floor of the closet for dirties. Makes repacking for departure a lot easier, too. Just seal up the dirty clothes bag and stick it in the suitcase and leave. :thumbsup2

I really can't say enough about those Zip-loc Big Bags. I was in love with using them for travel any way. Then I did the Bzz Agent thing and they sent me a bunch of freebies, so now they are used for just about everything in my house.

Minnie&Nana
06-09-2008, 09:36 AM
disneysuncat & Manda, what a great idea for keeping clothes dry in the suitcase - have yet to hae that happen, but you never know!!

We use the laundry bag provided in the room - there are usually two, but can ask for more, if needed. These are usually hanging on the hanger with the dry cleaning/laundry slip.

Funny thing is that we really enjoy taking the bags home clean, so now that we usually stay just 4 ngts, I can use one and take one home :)

monorailsilver
06-09-2008, 09:40 AM
I throw the dirty laundry in a drawer that we are not using.

I try to do laundry every other day but this trip we will be a family of 5 so I am thinking every day since those dryers take forever to dry IMO.

I then throw it in a bag & go. I also use the stroller & I am going to miss that when I don't need one anymore, to hold the laundry if I have more then I can carry.

Manda
06-09-2008, 09:44 AM
disneysuncat & Manda, what a great idea for keeping clothes dry in the suitcase - have yet to hae that happen, but you never know!!

Yes, I think it's one of those things that you never know to prepare for until it happens to you. It's very depressing to stand in the terminal and watch your suitcase sit on the tarmac during a blinding rainstorm. Fortunately, for us, it was on the trip home, so we got home and were able to pull everything out and wash and dry. But the thought of that happening on the way TO vacation is scary! And that's why I pack all of our clothes in the bags now.

mskayjay
06-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Oh my condolensces to all of you! I would never do laundry on vacation. Whenever we travel, even when we had the kids with us, everyone brought enough clothes to cover the entire time, the dirties went into a garbage bag or the hotel dry clean bags and then right into the suitcase to get cleaned at home.

mickeynut1
06-09-2008, 10:21 AM
We put our dirty clothes in the "dry cleaning" bags that are left in the closets. Then, we load them up into one particular suitcase, until that one gets full...and so on...

We use the dry cleaning bags for dirties as well, as I don't do laundry on vacation :lmao: :lmao:. But our last trip I packed one or two kitchen garbage bags from home since those dry cleaning bags are sometimes small and don't hold much. We keep the plastic bags in the closet so there's no dirty clothes all over the room. I always pack on our last night so I don't have to do it on our check out day :thumbsup2. Usually any clean clothes that are left (I do tend to overpack :rotfl: :rotfl:), will fit in one suitcase; then the remaining 3 are used for dirty clothes (as there are me, DH, and 2 DSs each with our own suitcase).

dancin Disney style
06-09-2008, 10:26 AM
We use a pop up hamper in the corner of the room - it was a great investment of a $1 a the Dollar Store - LOL...

same for me.......great to use to carry down to the laundry room too.

The fold flat so it takes up no space in the suitcase.

Disney Spaz
06-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Another vote for the pop up hamper here. We love ours and now use it at home too.

pooch
06-09-2008, 11:01 AM
I throw the dirty laundry in a drawer that we are not using.

I try to do laundry every other day but this trip we will be a family of 5 so I am thinking every day since those dryers take forever to dry IMO.

I then throw it in a bag & go. I also use the stroller & I am going to miss that when I don't need one anymore, to hold the laundry if I have more then I can carry.

Wow, that's a lot of laundry!! When we go with the whole family (4 of us - 10 days), we take clothes for 5 or 6 days and I do laundry about 1/2 way through. Do you pack REALLY light? Can't imagine needed to do laundry every day to keep the family in clean clothes. Of course my "kids" aren't young anymore (although DS can still be a slob!) so we don't go through clothes as much.

I, too, get the cheapo popup hamper. It actually fits in my rolling duffle bag open and full for the way home. Its usually just DD and me now so we have enough to last 8 days most of the time. But I don't mind doing laundry if necessary. That's why they put them near the pool bar!:cool1: :cool1:

goofy4tink
06-09-2008, 11:14 AM
I have a nice popup hamper in my Owners Locker...so it's there when I want it. Then, after 4-5 days, I head over to the laundry room, first thing in the morning. I put in the wash and then head to the food court and get a mug of coffee like substance. I sit outside and read, or just enjoy the early morning. Then, when my laundry is done washing, I put it in the dryer and head back to the room and wake everyone else up. We get dressed, head out for breakfast. Usually, my laundry is done by then. I stop at the laundry area after breakfast and fold up the clothes and head back to the room.

MinnieVanMom
06-09-2008, 11:15 AM
With the new baggage fees, charges, limitations, we are trying desperately to pack just a few days worth of clothing and I will do laundry on rest day. We have an 8 day trip so we will a lot of clothing.

I always dress in jeans, a nice sleeveless shirt, then a sweatshirt on top for the flight, I get cold. When we arrive I take off the sweatshirt. Now I didn't have to pack clothes for a cool night because I wore them on the flight.

I also order samples of laundry soap from the budget board along with toothpaste in sample size. Don't forget that if you are renting a DVC studio the laundry machine and dryers are free to use.

eeyorethegreat
06-09-2008, 12:13 PM
we have a travel party of 7 including my 4 kids so you can imagine the amount of laundry we have in the heat of summer at WDW. We got pop up hampers at the $ store one for each room (2). As for not doing laundry on vacation I don't mind I would rather do it while we are at the pool than having to pack enough changes of clothes for 21 days (that inclused drive time down and back) and then having to wash it all when I got home. We did a final wash the night before we left so there wouldn;t be much to take care of when we returned home.

geokeim
06-09-2008, 12:16 PM

:lmao:

Handbag Lady
06-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Oh my condolensces to all of you! I would never do laundry on vacation. Whenever we travel, even when we had the kids with us, everyone brought enough clothes to cover the entire time, the dirties went into a garbage bag or the hotel dry clean bags and then right into the suitcase to get cleaned at home.

I used to be you!!!! This last trip was so long, we had to do laundry and I had to choose between doing laundry or a shorter trip. I chose laundry.

But, of course I had to stipulate to husband that this was a one-off and I'd only do laundry at WDW for longer trips AND he does his own.

So there. :)

Taja
06-09-2008, 12:52 PM
I pack two fabric drawstring laundry bags and a lingerie wash case. They're all light weight and pack flat.

The lingerie goes in the wash case and the laundry bags are divided by dark and light fabrics. I line dry the contents of the lingerie case, so it's easy to separate that after washing and take it up to the room and hang the items while waiting for the dryer.

I usually visit WDW in December for 10 - 12 nights, so I have about 6 or 7 days of clothing. I do laundry midpoint and the day before departure. I really dislike hauling dirty laundry home! *LOL*

Claire&TheBoys
06-09-2008, 01:04 PM
I pack a garbage bag for my kids' laundry and my husband's green Army laundry bag for mine and his. I have never done laundry on vacation, but do bring a small bottle of Tide and a couple of dryer sheets "just in case." With a toddler, you never know what is going to happen!

ReneeA
06-09-2008, 01:38 PM
I also use the pop up hampers for dirty laundry.

I also wash clothing about day 5 or 6 of our vacation. Any longer than that and they start to stink...WDW in August is a pretty smelly place. :lmao:

Besides, I hate the thought of having 2 whole days of washing to do when I get home.

DisFlan
06-09-2008, 01:52 PM
We're DVC, and this trip (just the two of us) will be our first stay in a studio for a week - so no W/D. The DVC laundry is free, but I still have to get the clothes back and forth, and put them some place when they're dirty. Thanks for the pop-up hamper tip! I'll head to the Dollar store and get one.

I'd love to be able to take enough clothes to not have to do any laundry, but we'll be traveling as light as possible (stupid airlines).

DisFlan

Taja
06-09-2008, 02:11 PM
We're DVC, and this trip (just the two of us) will be our first stay in a studio for a week - so no W/D. The DVC laundry is free, but I still have to get the clothes back and forth, and put them some place when they're dirty. Thanks for the pop-up hamper tip! I'll head to the Dollar store and get one.

I'd love to be able to take enough clothes to not have to do any laundry, but we'll be traveling as light as possible (stupid airlines).

DisFlan

That's what I like about my laundry bag system. Load it into a wheeled case, down to the laundry room, then wheel the clean laundry back to the room! :)

YesMickey
06-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Those of you that said you put your dirty clothes in a plastic garbage bag will find your wet clothes get sour pretty quick. It is best to put them in one of those hampers or a cloth laundry bag from my dry cleaners, which is what I do. We stayed at POR and there is a laundry room at the pool between partrere place and Oak manor. Works great for us because my wife and I make some margaritas, do the laundry and watch the kids swim all from the comfort our lounge chair at the pool.:thumbsup2

123SA
06-09-2008, 02:48 PM
I use the bags and suticase, no laundry during vacation. I had thought that I would have to on our next trip because of baggage fees. 12 night trip in Sept, 2A, 3C. Airtran charges $10 for a second bag, $20 roundtrip. 3 loads of laundry, wash and dry will cost $12 (light, dark, whites) - it is not worth it to me to save the $8, I'd rather relax on my vacation.

steffali
06-09-2008, 03:48 PM
We take a laundry bag with us. When i am ready to do laundry I pull the strings and off I go.

tammydel
06-09-2008, 04:05 PM
Another vote for pop-up hamper. (Mine is Sponge Bob, Shhh...) Keeps the dirty clothes off the floor. One year I used a suitcase - after the clothes were clean I noticed the suitcase smelled a little funky! Pop up goes easily to the laundry room or stuffed in the rolling dufffle if not clean. Love it, never travel without it any more, not even for short trips.

Tammy

sherry8253
06-09-2008, 04:12 PM
We take garbage bags and we use a local wash & fold service a few minutes from Disney about midway (on longer) & toward the end of our vacation. We have nice clean clothing to take home which is wonderful. It beats having to go home to a bunch of dirty laundry. :)

DrDeb
06-09-2008, 04:14 PM
no laundry since the D children have grown---altho in Jan i did do a quick load while i read by the pool @ POP... was nice--;)

123SA
06-09-2008, 04:48 PM
We take garbage bags and we use a local wash & fold service a few minutes from Disney about midway (on longer) & toward the end of our vacation. We have nice clean clothing to take home which is wonderful. It beats having to go home to a bunch of dirty laundry. :)

Does this mean you drop it off and come back later to pick it up? This I would consider! Where? Do you remember the cost?

jlewisinsyr
06-09-2008, 05:17 PM
For shorter vacations, less then 1 week, we usually just bring enough to cover the week (plus 1 - 2 outfits extra). We put our dirty clothes in one of the drawers folded but seperate.

For vacations over a week we send out our clothes mid-vacation for laundry service. For the $100 - $150 it costs, it's worth it to me not to waste time doing laundry and wasting my vacation.

sherry8253
06-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Does this mean you drop it off and come back later to pick it up? This I would consider! Where? Do you remember the cost?

It costs less than $20 for a big bag of clothing. I think it is about a $1.25 a pound. We always go in Dec or Jan, so we are talking heavy jeans, sweatshirts, etc. It is on Apopka Vineland Road in the strip mall where Steak & Shake is located. You drop the clothing off during the late afternoon and pick it up the next afternoon. When you pick up the clothing everything is always neatly folded. They also do drycleaning if you need anything drycleaned. We have been using them for at least 10 years. They are wonderful!! ::yes::

123SA
06-09-2008, 06:52 PM
It costs less than $20 for a big bag of clothing. I think it is about a $1.25 a pound. We always go in Dec or Jan, so we are talking heavy jeans, sweatshirts, etc. It is on Apopka Vineland Road in the strip mall where Steak & Shake is located. You drop the clothing off during the late afternoon and pick it up the next afternoon. When you pick up the clothing everything is always neatly folded. They also do drycleaning if you need anything drycleaned. We have been using them for at least 10 years. They are wonderful!! ::yes::

Thanks so much for the info! I can always get together enough outfits for the kids, but it seems like I always end up running out at the last minute to buy myself stuff just so I don't have to do the dreaded laundry on vacation. This would work out well...now if they would just deliver!

shellybaxter
06-09-2008, 08:30 PM
There have been a lot of threads about why someone would not want to own DVC lately, but this laundry issue is one of the things that make DVC worth the price of admission to me.

PreDVC we use to:

Pick a drawer or the inside of the bed side tables at certain resorts, and fill that with dirty clothes until that got full and then we tranfered those to an empty suitcase. We packed at least one outfit per day and took TONS of luggage since we go for no less than 10 days, usually 14.

Then we bought into DVC and stayed in a one bedroom. Like some on these boards I was not interested in doing laundry on vacation, but having the washer and dryer right in the room is awesome. You can throw a load in when you get into the room at night and transfer it to the dryer before you go to bed. In the morning you put the clothes away as you're getting dressed.

We now only pack about five to six outfits for the trip, take WAY LESS luggage and have purchased a laundry bag to keep the clothes tidy while waiting to be cleaned but sometimes we just throw them straight into the dryer as we remove them.

DVC is awesome for laundry (one bedroom and above)

Shelly F - Ohio
06-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Now that the airlines are charging for the extra bag I plan to pack 5 outfits for our 10 day trip and then I will do laundry half way through our trip. I usually do laundry coupled with spending time at the resort pool. Most of the laundry rooms are very close to the resort pools and have more than one washer and dryer so I through in two loads at a time..The laundry room by the Rock Springs pool at the SSR has many washers and dryers. Then I go to the pool or grab a bit to eat then come back and switch them out. Takes about 1 1/2 hours out of my vacation but if I am also at the pool or eating its not really taking time out of my vacation because I am killing 2 birds with 1 stone.
The bonus is that by packing half the amount of clothes.. when I get home from vacation I only have half the amount of clothes to wash. So I am ahead of the game.
This last trip I decided to do laundry the night before we left to come home and did not have a heap of laundry to do when I got home. Plus I did not have to use my water or gas to do the laundry. Another thing about staying at a DVC resort... laundry is free just bring your own soap and softner!

jlewisinsyr
06-09-2008, 09:05 PM
There have been a lot of threads about why someone would not want to own DVC lately, but this laundry issue is one of the things that make DVC worth the price of admission to me.

PreDVC we use to:

Pick a drawer or the inside of the bed side tables at certain resorts, and fill that with dirty clothes until that got full and then we tranfered those to an empty suitcase. We packed at least one outfit per day and took TONS of luggage since we go for no less than 10 days, usually 14.

Then we bought into DVC and stayed in a one bedroom. Like some on these boards I was not interested in doing laundry on vacation, but having the washer and dryer right in the room is awesome. You can throw a load in when you get into the room at night and transfer it to the dryer before you go to bed. In the morning you put the clothes away as you're getting dressed.

We now only pack about five to six outfits for the trip, take WAY LESS luggage and have purchased a laundry bag to keep the clothes tidy while waiting to be cleaned but sometimes we just throw them straight into the dryer as we remove them.

For me, when I'm on vacation, I don't want to see a Kitchen, Washer, Dryer, etc...it would actually make it feel less like vacation and more just a summer home...

This is a big reason I don't think we'll buy into a DVC, plus the better half keeps pushing just to move to Orlando.

shellybaxter
06-09-2008, 09:15 PM
For me, when I'm on vacation, I don't want to see a Kitchen, Washer, Dryer, etc...it would actually make it feel less like vacation and more just a summer home...

This is a big reason I don't think we'll buy into a DVC, plus the better half keeps pushing just to move to Orlando.

I could have written your post myself just four years ago and then we bought into DVC, mostly because of the guarenteed king bed and the jacuzzi tub (I have mobility issues and the tub is a huge help). After our first DVC trip I couldn't even imagine staying as long as we do without the kitchen (fridge for drinks and snacks) and the washer and dryer, especially with the new luggage rules

eyor44
06-09-2008, 09:57 PM
I use a pop up also and have always used the stroller to transport it to and from laundry. No stroller this year, DH says Yeah!, so I was wondering what to do. Thanks for the tip of the rolling suitcase. And also about packing everything in plastic when flying. We drive to WDW, but fly to NY once a year. I am going to do this from now on.
One more plus for the DVC is the room has a W/D. I have a list of pros and cons.

DisFlan
06-10-2008, 09:24 AM

PreDVC we use to:

This is the first time we've spent a DVC week in less than a 1 bedroom and I'm already feeling W/D withdrawal. I can probably live without the jacuzzi, but ARRG, I'm gonna miss that W/D! This is our studio "experiment". It's a second trip this year to reuse the APs, DDE, and golf cards before they expire, and we had enough points left for a studio. But we figured a week in a studio at BWV is a LOT better than not going at all. So I'll haul clothes/towels down to the "free" laundry - and not whine TOO much.:goodvibes

DisFlan

pooch
06-10-2008, 11:26 AM
For shorter vacations, less then 1 week, we usually just bring enough to cover the week (plus 1 - 2 outfits extra). We put our dirty clothes in one of the drawers folded but seperate.

For vacations over a week we send out our clothes mid-vacation for laundry service. For the $100 - $150 it costs, it's worth it to me not to waste time doing laundry and wasting my vacation.

I'd be happy to be your personal laundry service!! Looks like we're going the same time. Do you really spend that much just to save an hr or 2?:confused3

iluvdizknee
06-12-2008, 06:46 AM
WOW thanks for all the great advice. Pop Up Hamper and sample size detergents and pack fabric softner sheets ! :cool1:
OK here is another question?................What do you do with the clothes that need to be hung to dry? I try not to bring to many of them, but like bras, ect/......just hang in the room with closepins?...