PDA

View Full Version : Contempory or Animal Kingdom Lodge???

flywithme
06-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Will be 5 of us going. Myself, Dh, 3 kids, ages 6, 9, 17. Will be our first trip to Disney World. I really like what I've seen about AKL, & for the Contemporary, I like being so close to the Magic Kingdom for the kids. Would love to hear your comments and why you'd stay at one verses the other. Thanks

spaceace510
06-08-2008, 04:23 PM
I think it all depends on you favorite park. If you guys like MK and EP then I would go with CR hands down. You are either a quick walk or mono ride away from MK and then 2 mono rides away from Epcot. But if you guys are huge fans of AK, go with AKL. HS and DTD are both bus rides away, so that really doesn't count (but HS is close to AKL and DTD is closer to CR) I personally like CR better, and with the prime location my vote goes to CR!

AJKMOM
06-08-2008, 04:54 PM
I thought I read here that you can't fit 5 in an AKL room since the Vacation Club took over the 5th and 6th floors. You might want to check that out.

However, you can't beat the location of the Contemporary. I love AKL, but also love walking to the Magic Kingdom instead of waiting for a bus. I would go with price it it was me.

keishashadow
06-08-2008, 04:56 PM
nothing can compare to MK view of wishes/fireworks:goodvibes

scanne
06-08-2008, 04:57 PM
You can fit five in a deluxe room at the AKL. I'd personally go with the Contemporary with a group of 5. The rooms are really big - bigger that AKL. I'm staying there in October. I've stayed at AKL before. The ambiance at AKL is amazing, but both my DH felt that it was so far out of the way and transportation was somewhat of a hassle. I think you will find both sides of the spectrum in terms of what people think. I just think that you'll be very comfortable at the Contemporary - moreso than at the AKL.

Hope this helps.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
06-08-2008, 05:13 PM
I would also go with the Contemporary because of how close it is to the Magic Kingdom and I am sure your kids would love seeing the Monorail go by on the 4th floor.

Minnie&Nana
06-08-2008, 05:32 PM
:welcome:

CR for sure :) Our first visit was with kids just about the same age as your s(waaay back in 1981!) and CR was the best so much fun - there is just nothing like being in a resort where the monorail glides right through ...

Our first visit we stayed in the old North Wing, 3rd floor - and when we opened the curtains for the first time the monorail was gliding by - it truly was magical even for the older teen. The kids could see the Train sta ad Space Mtn from our room! :)

We liked it almost as much as the enxt visit when we stayed in the tower - even with an MK view.

Very important - the rooms are huge and you will be very glad to have that space!

You are going to have so much fun!!!! :goodvibes

flywithme
06-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Wow thanks for all the quick replies! I am thinking the Contempory as well.

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
06-08-2008, 05:39 PM
You're welcome and if you select the Contemporary that would be a very good decision. Also if you want anymore information about it don't forget to read the Contemporary FAQ thread. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1710920

KatMark
06-08-2008, 07:52 PM
We have only stayed at the Contemporary, but after visiting the AKL, would love to stay at AKL. Being that your kids are older, I'd go with AKL. Although the Contemporary is nice with monorail, etc., it is our least favorite after the All-Star Sports that we have stayed at.

jacksmom
06-08-2008, 08:32 PM
I would say Contemporary! We stayed there over Easter and it was sooo nice to be able to walk into the MK!:lmao:

Pooh&OurHunny
06-08-2008, 09:09 PM
I would pick Contemporary b/c of location.

Kimberle
06-09-2008, 04:54 AM
I have stayed at both. I love them both, they are wonderful. The AKL rooms are quite a bit smaller than CR. I think with 5, you'd really appreaciate the space.

NJ2Boardwalk
06-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Not sure what your budget is...but that was a determination for us. We were deciding between CR and AKL and for this year, AKL won because of pricing. Although we are excited to try this place - unless I get a code or a great AP discount - CR is too expensive for this year. To me, wasn't worth staying at CR if I couldn't stay in the Tower. Garden Wings didn't do it for me, especially with only the South wing avail. Just my 2 cents.

DVC Sadie
06-09-2008, 08:42 AM
I love, love, love the CR especially at night while watching the fireworks from the comfort of my room. I especially enjoy watching our grandneice in her nightgown watching the fireworks with looks of enchantment.

Jalva22
06-09-2008, 09:46 AM
My choice would start with whichever resorts' theming is most appealling to you. If the AKL is really appealling to you, then go with it. Same with the Contemporary. You won't find another resort like either place anywhere else. So, that's my highest priority when selecting a WDW resort.

If you're neutral on the 2 resorts' theming and budget isn't an issue, then I'd go with the Contemporary. It has larger rooms and is conveniently located on the monorail line, and is also within walking distance of the MK. You also have easy access to many more restaurants, thanks to that monorail.

geokeim
06-09-2008, 12:12 PM
Well you have chosen the 2 best resorts IMO.
CR is just so nice because it is so convenient.
But AKL is really and outstanding choice as well.
I don't think you can go wrong either way!

Have fun.:thumbsup2

disneypoor
06-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Thanks for posting this question! We were torn between CR, AKL, and WL. I chose CR for the convenience of being able to walk to MK. It sounds like I made a good decision!:thumbsup2

CR Resort Fan 4 Life
06-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Thanks for posting this question! We were torn between CR, AKL, and WL. I chose CR for the convenience of being able to walk to MK. It sounds like I made a good decision!:thumbsup2I would say you did.

jackskellingtonsgirl
06-09-2008, 04:30 PM
AKL doesn't have deluxe rooms since the DVC conversion.

busymomma123
06-09-2008, 06:47 PM
We have stayed at both CR and AKL. We actually love AKL better. The bus service was wonderful. All of our wait times were under 5 minutes except for one that was for 10 minutes at AKL. Its so much more peaceful and relaxing than CR. The safari rooms are so awesome. I didn't anticipate how much we would like it. We plan to hopefully be going back this fall. Also, there is no shared busing at AKL.
Don't get me wrong the convenience of the CR to Epcot and MK can't be beat. However the AKL has a lot to offer too. ;)

pooh2001
06-09-2008, 09:53 PM
The South Wings have the new rehab rooms - still as nice as the tower and no long wait for the elevator. South Wing is very close to the pool, marina and the Tower (10 feet away).

We are planning the Soiuth Wing for 2010 - since the Tower rooms have become out of our budget. But CR is such a wonderful resort and location, it can not be beat - walk to MK, monorail to MK & EPCOT, also monorail to the best dining at resorts - GF and Poly. CR is so convient - less problems of transportation issues at the CR - you will be worry free.