PDA

View Full Version : Which Resort and Why

jnjusoioa
06-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Hi All, I am posting a poll with this thread, but also curious to hear what everyone has to say. We have a big trip coming up in Dec., orginally we were hoping to swing the Poly or AKL but at this point, it doesn't look like we can. :( However we don't want to cancel the whole trip, but I am torn about resorts, we have stayed at Pop before and love it, for the theming, the buses, etc. We have never tried All Stars Movies and so that is another option and our other option we think we can swing would be Port Orleans French Quarter, so I was just curious about opinions, also if anyone has pics. that would be great, just so I can see. Also opinions on the bus service and rooms would be greatly appreciated, more so on All Stars Movies and port Orleans French Quarter. Thank you for all the help and advice.:goodvibes

Shmily1
06-08-2008, 02:45 PM
I chose AS Movies. We stayed there in April and it was great. Even better, to us, is AS Music. We loved the theming of them both, but Music was more for us. I love the theming on the values!! We've stayed at almost every WDW resort, including several in each category. We've stayed at POP nine times because I love the theming!!

The buses at the AS resorts are not bad. The AS resorts are together about the size of POP so the amount of people on the buses could be less than on the POP buses. We did have to share buses a couple times, but only once were we very crowded on the bus.

The food courts at the AS resorts are great! We enjoyed the options even more than the options at POP. Also, the AS resorts are close together so you can walk between them. In April,we are at AS Movies and our friends were at ASMusic. We ate at both food courts and used both bus services since it was usually closer for us to go to ASMusic's main building than to AS Movies... plus, I just liked it a little better;)

Anyway, have a great stay!!! It's all in what you make of it!!!!

jnjusoioa
06-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Thank you for the great reply, looking forward to hearing more from people, it seems Port Orleans French Quarter is winning but haven't heard much about it. Looking forward to hearing some more input.:goodvibes

pooh2001
06-08-2008, 03:21 PM
POFQ wins over any value resort

Info on POFQ:
http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/faq_po.htm

POFQ benfits:
Pool has slide
Boat to DTD
double sinks in bathroom
1st bus stop (POR 2nd)
rooms are larger than value rooms (50 sq ft more, I think)
Nice gardens and tree lined paths

POP downfalls:
No pool slide
Bus to everywhere
one sink in bathroom
More than one bus stop
rooms are smallest on WDW property
large icons, lots of concrete

metroliner
06-08-2008, 03:52 PM
POFQ. Small, compact, beautiful theme, not as crowded as values. Also, because I'm staying there in three weeks. :banana:

ParkPrincess
06-08-2008, 03:56 PM
We haven't stayed at POP or ASMo, but we've stayed at ASMu and POFQ. We'd choose a resort we haven't stayed at before because we enjoy trying out all the WDW resorts. Also, we would choose POFQ over any value because the rooms are better and the grounds are nicer.

Schlbdriver
06-08-2008, 03:57 PM
I voted for Music, because it's the only one I have personal experience with.
We are staying at PORiverside in October though, teehee
We loved ASM and it the food courts were very good, and looking at the maps even the room farthest away seems to be fairly close.
I'm sure any place you choose will be wonderful and you'll have a blast.
Have a Magical Trip.

bosox57
06-08-2008, 04:31 PM
POP! It has great bus service of its own, a better food court and cost less. POFQ is basically a value resort at mod prices.

jnjusoioa
06-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Thank you for all the great answers, you all have given me a lot to think about, I look forward to hearing more, also does anyone have any photos of the Port Orleans French Quarter at Christmas?? Just curious, thanks in advance.:goodvibes

stacy6552
06-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Skip the mod. I just dont see the cost benefit.

Go with what you know and love.

Unless, that is, you have a kid who really loves 101 Dalmations or one of the other movie themes they have at the ASMo, then you gotta stay there. Its all about the theming.

rkwells
06-08-2008, 05:49 PM
I voted pofq, We have stayed at the all-stars 2x's as a first night before moving to a different resort. I felt the all stars were much more congested and although nice, not nearly as pretty, lush, and relaxing as Port Orleans (we stayed at riverside). Port Orleans theming is so well done. I thought the "fishin' hole" was great along with the big water wheel (is that still there?) and I like the pools at the moderates much better then all stars. In my experience I have found other WDW resorts to be quieter then the all stars. For our family the full experience is well worth the money.

jnjusoioa
06-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Does POFQ have balconies??? Also what is the Christmas theming like?? Thanks a million.:goodvibes

HopperFan
06-08-2008, 08:18 PM
I voted POP ! I have stayed at all the moderates but FQ, why ?, because I am not paying moderate prices for a resort that is not a fully equipped moderate. I've visited, walked around, eaten in the food court (POP is way better). I don't want to have to travel to the next resort for a sit down or recreation amenities. We also enjoy the quiet pools in the evening. FQ does not have balconies, it is just like POP with exterior walkways. I can't justify the moderate rate when I feel I am getting value amenities. A pool slide and hot tub, an extra sink and a few feet for my suitcase are not enough. POP has some great landscaping and a lake and walking path, with a lovely bridge and sitting areas. Also some really good transportation - with only ONE bus stop.

If you already changed your hotel due to the economics, then it makes sense to just be safe with a resort you know you like, and costs much less.

texasmom
06-08-2008, 09:06 PM
It is a smaller resort, bigger rooms, beautiful grounds, beignets, and nice theming. Every thing is near your room where ever it is located.

Downside-shares bus with POR

catne
06-08-2008, 09:15 PM
The mods are definitely a step up from the values...in size, decor inside & out, and amenities. If you can afford it, I'd say POFQ...beautiful theming, bigger rooms, double sinks, refrigerators, wonderful pool theme & slide, gorgeous gardens, boat to DTD.

Does not always share busses with Riverside (while we were there in May, POFQ had it's own busses every time to MK & back...we never went to POR.)

Balconies question...the rooms open directly onto balcony-style walkways on each level...a fair number of people pull the room chairs out to sit on the "balcony" but it's not private balconies for each room.

jacksmom
06-08-2008, 09:21 PM
I would also at least stay at a Moderate! Larger room, fridge, pool slides, just to name a few reasons!:rotfl2:

disneymomof2boyz
06-08-2008, 09:32 PM
We have stayed at both Pop and POFQ, and we really liked both, but for different reasons. If I had the choice today, I would stay at POFQ. Here are my reasons:

It's a much smaller hotel, and A LOT quieter. The grounds are beautiful, and it really feels like a vacation to us. I feel as if we are more relaxed at the POFQ, maybe it could be the beds!! The beds at POP (for us) are horrible!! Hard as a rock. The beds at POFQ are much better. Plus there are coffee makers and mini-fridges in each room.

Now, moving on to Pop. This was our first value, and I have to say that I was surprised. We didn't hate it like we thought we would!lol:) It is VERY Disney, big bright colors everywhere, and lots of kids and noise. Our kids loved it, and when they look at pictures they always ask me when we are going back, for them it means Disney. The pools are ok, nothing really special about them. Bus service for us was always great, and as you know POFQ shares busses w/ POR. We had one bad experience on an EMH evening.

So, that's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it!;)

Lilolvr
06-09-2008, 07:11 AM
I'd go with Pop. Not much difference in resorts but there is in price.

jnjusoioa
06-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Oh my gosh, I don't know which to pick. Thank you for all the great opinions, I think it is a toss up between the POFQ and Pop. Not sure what I will go with but if anyone else has any other suggestions, feel free.:goodvibes

madcat
06-09-2008, 09:25 AM
I have never stayed at any of the A.S. or pop, but I have stayed at POFQ and LOVE it there!!:)

troynkasey
06-09-2008, 12:56 PM
We have stayed at POFQ before and are staying there again next week. We've also stayed at the various All-Star resorts. I like POFQ because it is quieter. It is the smallest resort on property, so you never have a long walk. You also get a fridge in your room. We're not much concerned about room size, but the room is slightly bigger. Everything else we found to be very similar to POP and the All-Star resorts. I do like the POFQ food court better than the ALL-Star ones...

Handbag Lady
06-09-2008, 01:14 PM
I am not a fan of the values. I've heard too many stories of cheer groups and noise levels.

Plus, the rooms are smaller and I can't deal with that.

Moderates all the way!

tsmith76
06-11-2008, 07:16 AM
great point

Shmily1
06-11-2008, 07:57 AM
I would stick with the values. POFQ is our least favorite of all the mods, with POR being our favorite mod. It's just not all that and is looking older now. When we went to POR in January, we were glad we hadn't picked POFQ.

Also, if you stay at a value, you'll have more spending money for souviniers!!:thumbsup2

RKO1968
06-11-2008, 08:11 AM
I agree, I would stick with a values vs POFQ. Not much of a difference there.

Rora
06-11-2008, 08:18 AM
I voted ASMovies.. it's distinctly Disney. You really feel like you're staying at Disney World when you stay there! Save some money too!

DISNEYGAMMIE
06-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Is there definately a coffee maker in every room at the POFQ?
I did a search and it brought me to this thread.

Thanks

disneyfanUSA
06-12-2008, 06:09 PM
I've I stayed at all 3 but river side not PFQ! I really like ASMO we stayed in the toy story section it was really nice and i loved the food court. At POR Riverside I stayed in the alligator bayou it was really nice! I loved the theme. . They are both excellent. I would pick your resort around how much you are going to be at the parks. I would choose ASMO if I was going to the parks everyday and POR if your not so you can experience all the activities.

pumpkinfish
06-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Altho I am a die-hard POFQ fan, I just returned from our first full stay at PoP. I say PoP for you! You already listed many reasons why you love it...also it is cost effective that might allow you to save up and put away a little extra for that Deluxe trip you want to take by going Value over Mod. If you have little ones I say PoP...if it is just two of you...I might say POFQ.

MJMcBride
06-12-2008, 06:48 PM
POFQ is the clear choice