PDA

View Full Version : Did you ever receive a quote for a package....

redc
06-08-2008, 10:39 AM
...and then have the CM say a mistake was made and then renege on the deal?

I just called for a 5 day pkg at WL for Aug, received a price from the CM, then confirmed the details of the package: Dates, MYW passes w/PH, DDP for 2 adults, 2 kids, then confirmed the price again. The CM put me on hold and then came back and said the "system" had mispriced the pkg and the offer would be several hundred dollars higher?!?!?!?

I said that I had agreed to the price that he offered me. He said he couldn't sell it at that price. I asked to peak to a supervisor. He reitereated the "I'm sorry but the system mispriced the deal and they couldn't sell it at the first price they quoted me."

I made some analogies about how other retailers would stand behind their first offer regardless of who made the mistake....and how Disney should honorably stand by their first offer.

No way, no how....sorry.

I'm just really peeved at this...thanks for letting me vent. :badpc:

mickeynut1
06-08-2008, 11:34 AM
I've never come across this before, but I always price packages online and then call to book. I have learned that insurance is (usually) automatically figured in so I always specify "no insurance"....and the price given to me by a CM is always dead on with what I got online ::yes::. Sorry this has happened to you :worried:. All I can think of is maybe the CM made a mistake when he first priced it by not adding in the right number of children, DDP, or hopper option or something :confused3?

helenk
06-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Unless you had put a deposit on your vacation, then, you were simply give an quote. The error was discovered before you paid your deposit so I would say that unfortunately you should not be entitled to the first price which was lower.

redc
06-08-2008, 12:31 PM
I would say that unfortunately you should not be entitled to the first price which was lower.

There's that word that the CMs kept using. Why is it my misfortune instead of the party that made the mistake. Their system hadn't added the DDP to three members of my party. That's on them, not me!
I accepted their offer.
Verbal agreements are made all the time in business, I use them all the time in my job.
In my heart, I believe that Disney should stand behind their quote, as well as my acceptance of their quote, as any good business should.

They shouldn't be entitled to a "do over!!!"

mskayjay
06-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Yes! Had the same thing happen with a room quote, when I called back to book it there was no record of that price ever being available and they wouldn't honor it. Went through supervisors and everything....no go! It was for a villa at BW or OKW and it was fantastic.

I think they should have honored it. You didn't even get the chance to make a deposit so that is a moot point.

jlewisinsyr
06-08-2008, 01:07 PM
There's that word that the CMs kept using. Why is it my misfortune instead of the party that made the mistake. Their system hadn't added the DDP to three members of my party. That's on them, not me!
I accepted their offer.
Verbal agreements are made all the time in business, I use them all the time in my job.
In my heart, I believe that Disney should stand behind their quote, as well as my acceptance of their quote, as any good business should.

As others said, it is a non-binding quote until you make a deposit, so although it sucks, they're doing what they are allowed.

Karlzmom
06-08-2008, 01:16 PM
I accepted their offer.

So, what you were quoted didn't include 3 of your DDP, so at best, if honored the quote would not be expected to just give you the "freebies" - doubt in you business that when you find a mistake you not only give the item they are entitled to & add a bonus :rotfl:

The thing is, an offer for a sale is just that, an offer, subject to terms and conditions. I suspect that if you requested a copy of their terms and conditions they would state that the "Deal" is not done until the deposit is made. The only offers that are irrevocable are those that have some form of consideration attached for the privilege of having an irrevocable offer...and you supplied no consideration that I can see. SO, all that being said, if the numbers are the same as what you were initially quoted for your party + the 3 DDPs that were missing - it sounds like you did just fine.

rgf207
06-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Unless you had put a deposit on your vacation, then, you were simply give an quote. The error was discovered before you paid your deposit so I would say that unfortunately you should not be entitled to the first price which was lower.

I agree completely with this. If you paid the deposit and then they came back at a later date saying that they mispriced it, this would be a different story.

I accepted their offer.

You can argue your point here all you want. you will get people here that agree and disagree with you. The fact is that your price isn't going to change now and Disney isn't going to give you the lower price. You were "quoted" something and it was incorrect and they caught it before you paid your deposit.

You are peeved because you did not get something for free. The CM or the "system" made the error and it was caught before any money exchanged hands.

I received a quote 3 years ago for a great price at AKL. I agreed to that quote. It doesn't mean it stands true now just as your quote didn't stand true after the glitch was discovered

Haley
06-08-2008, 01:22 PM
I used to be a TA and it happened to me several times with Disney.

One time not too long ago I called to get a quote on adding one night to a package. The agent recapped all the info and gave me the price. I put him on hold for 30 seconds to tell the client the new price. Of course the CM hung up on me. So, I called back and the new CM's price was $400 more.

I complained that I had the CM's name I talked to, the exact quote I got and that I had already told the client the price and I can't just say "oh well, too bad I need $400 more". I spoke to guest relations and they said there's nothing they can do unless you have a confirmation showing the mistake. They told me the CM probably noticed his mistake and that's why he hung up on me.

Disney will rarely do anything in this situation that's why I like booking online better. But, to make changes- you have to call.

redc
06-08-2008, 01:51 PM
If you paid the deposit and then they came back at a later date saying that they mispriced it, this would be a different story.

In fact I gave the CM my credit card number with all the details: name, address, CC number, ex date...in my eyes, I paid for the darn deal. But nope, sorry, we made a mistake and YOU suffer.

rgf207
06-08-2008, 01:55 PM
In fact I gave the CM my credit card number with all the details: name, address, CC number, ex date...in my eyes, I paid for the darn deal. But nope, sorry, we made a mistake and YOU suffer.
I Completely understand your frustration but arguing here is not going to get you a solution at all.

Disney isn't going to give you the lower rate and you can keep arguing your point until you are blue in the face. It's still not going to change anything. Your options are to keep calling and go up the chain and see if someone will give you your free DDP. Noone is going to have any record of your misquote so it's your word agains theirs. Your next option is to book your vacation at the regular price or lastly, you can choose not to go to WDW.

If you want us to agree with you, we sure could but it won't change anything. I hope this doesn't ruin your vacation

larryz
06-08-2008, 03:39 PM
In booking room-only packages, they send this verbiage along with the reservation confirmation email:

"Disney reserves the right to cancel or modify a room reservation (including after the room reservation has been confirmed) if the room reservation includes or resulted from a mistake or error of any kind, including but not limited to, a mistake or error in the rate, resort or room type, or where it appears that a guest has engaged in fraudulent or misleading activity in making the room reservation."

I'm pretty sure a confirmation for a package includes similar verbiage, meaning that even if you had been able to confirm, they could have (and likely would have) amended your total package price to include the 3 DDPs left off the original quote.

I don't see how you've "suffered" any actual damages here. Still, if you plan to sue, please keep us informed on how your case is progressing. Good luck.

chickenskin
06-08-2008, 04:37 PM
Another reason we always book through AAA, the rate they quote is the rate we get.

SplashMtnCrew
06-08-2008, 07:54 PM
I agree with the previous posts...the reason being that if someone calls and makes ressies for next year and pay in full, they are still subjected to any price increases. I'm not even talking about packages, that's just for 'room only' That has happened to us for the last two years :( I think if people are paid in full before new pricing is released then they shouldn't have to pay the difference. But, the world is an imperfect place

OP you are justified in how you feel, I would feel the same way

crostorfer
06-08-2008, 08:22 PM
I wanted to tell the OP that I feel so sorry that this happened, I too would be very frustrated and upset. Hopefully this won't happen again. I can't really understand why people are flaming, you were just frustrated and venting, its not like you expected to get your ressie changed after the fact.

rgf207
06-08-2008, 08:48 PM
I wanted to tell the OP that I feel so sorry that this happened, I too would be very frustrated and upset. Hopefully this won't happen again. I can't really understand why people are flaming, you were just frustrated and venting, its not like you expected to get your ressie changed after the fact.
I dont think there is any flaming going on here. We were just expressing the truth that Disney does not owe the OP anything. You say that the OP is not expecting to get their ressie changed after the fact when that is exactly what they want. They want Disney to give them the price of the glitch when their Terms say they do not.

We aren't saying that the OP's feelings aren't justified, it's just reality that nothing will be done about it.

Narnia
06-08-2008, 09:10 PM
How many people are accidently charged more with out knowing it. In canada we have a scanning code if a product on the shelf is differant then they get it free up to $10. So a small discount would be work great here.

redc
06-08-2008, 09:25 PM

Thanks for your kind compassion.

I didn't expect anything after the fact, I just thought Disney could have been more professional than just saying "Sorry Charlie, my bad, but you're out of luck."

I'm done venting, unless someone else wants to repeat the "Did you expect to get something for free, we're just stating the truth" mantra.

kaytieeldr
06-08-2008, 09:31 PM
I didn't expect anything after the fact, I just thought Disney could have been more professional than just saying "Sorry Charlie, my bad, but you're out of luck." Well, but then what would you expect them to say? Seriously? What response to the situation would have satisfied you to the point that you would not have posted/vented?

auntie
06-08-2008, 09:43 PM
OP.. might be interested in this thread...seems you aren't the only persons experiencing this situation..or something quite similar. It's NO mistake.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1720818&page=9

This post in particular taken from the thread below gives certain insights as to what has been going on as of late.:

Ok, sadly, I saw this thread on a different thread on the budget board, and had to come over to read this one! I responded on that one, and I'll respond here!

I had a friend that worked in the Tampa reservations center for a couple of years (actually somewhere between 1-2 yrs, I think). Anyway, she loved all things Disney, and thought what could be better than helping others plan their "once-in-a-lifetime" Disney vacations. Her thoughts were quickly dashed not long after orientation.

At the time (and it sounds like it still is), the CRO CMs were on a quota system. The more $$$ they booked (and got payment for), the more towards their quota. If they don't meet their quota for more than so many months, they are automatically fired for "not performing". So, there was definitely a push to get you to book on that first call, because if you call back and talk to a different CM, and make a different booking, the original CM gets NO credit (and they could have spent hours with you on the phone).

So, sadly, she would follow the rules, and help people book their dream vacations, and finally, she just couldn't make her quotas for a couple of months and she decided that she had had enough. And, on top of that, she would have tales of several of the CMs on her team, and on other teams, that would intentionally deceive guests to get them to book, and sadly, some of the management would just look the other way (because those CMs were making their quotas). She was very discouraged by her manager who said "at least xxx is making their quota". She just couldn't live with being dishonest, and figured that it wasn't worth it.

She told one tale of CMs disconnecting people that had called to book values. She told tales of a CM that would tell guests that the only rooms left were the big $$$ ones, in order to boost their dollars towards their quota, and on and on. So, this new ploy sounds like the exact same thing. The CMs are holding on for dear life to keep their jobs, so they will use any tactic that they can think of to do it.

So, while I still love all things Disney, I am VERY cautious about calling CRO, and if at all possible, I book online, and don't bother with CRO at all!!!

Yes, I know that there are CMs and managers out there that are playing by the "rules" and giving guests a great experience. But unfortunately, this quota system (and the lack of managers to enforce good business practices), have led to some less than honest CMs booking your vacation.

redc
06-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Well, but then what would you expect them to say? Seriously? What response to the situation would have satisfied you to the point that you would not have posted/vented?

Seriously? Well let's see. I would have expected them to say more than "Unfortunately we can't do anything for you." A little of that Disney magic would have been nice. I really felt taken and deceived.

And believe me, anyone would have been incredibly frustrated with this phone call. And auntie's post makes me feel even more cynical about this whole thing.

CleveRocks
06-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Seriously? Well let's see. I would have expected them to say more than "Unfortunately we can't do anything for you." A little of that Disney magic would have been nice. I really felt taken and deceived.

And believe me, anyone would have been incredibly frustrated with this phone call. And auntie's post makes me feel even more cynical about this whole thing.Seriously, you didn't answer kaytieeldr's question. We already know from your previous posts what did NOT satisfy you, so please answer her question.:hippie:

redc
06-08-2008, 10:41 PM
Seriously, you didn't answer kaytieeldr's question. We already know from your previous posts what did NOT satisfy you, so please answer her question.:hippie:

Very persistent! I would have liked a little respect as a person who has spent tens of thousands of dollars over my lifetime with that company. I felt duped and taken.:hippie:

rgf207
06-09-2008, 06:43 AM
Very persistent! I would have liked a little respect as a person who has spent tens of thousands of dollars over my lifetime with that company. I felt duped and taken.:hippie:
So if the CM said "I'm so Sorry, the computer made a mistake we are unable to offer you that price, we will send you some free luggage tags for your trouble"
you would be perfectly fine and not have posted this thread?

I mean, that's respect and a little Disney Magic

redc
06-09-2008, 08:40 AM
So if the CM said "I'm so Sorry, the computer made a mistake we are unable to offer you that price, we will send you some free luggage tags for your trouble"
you would be perfectly fine and not have posted this thread?

I mean, that's respect and a little Disney Magic

Something like that would have been wonderful. :cool2:

rgf207
06-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Ok then. :)

DVC Sadie
06-09-2008, 09:37 AM

Who knows, maybe when you and your family get to your room there might be luggage tags or a picture of Mickey & Minnie on your bed.

mskayjay
06-09-2008, 10:55 AM
"if someone calls and makes ressies for next year and pay in full, they are still subjected to any price increases. I'm not even talking about packages, that's just for 'room only' That has happened to us for the last two years I think if people are paid in full before new pricing is released then they shouldn't have to pay the difference. "

Seriously???? Is that true? I don't see how they can do that unless they are telling you that the package will be adjusted to the rate when you make your ressies. Wow I am just shocked. If you hadn't "paid in full" I could see it but my goodness. That is almost like taking no expiry tickets and saying "sorry we have to increase the cost on you".

Somebody else want to shed more light on this?

rgf207
06-09-2008, 10:59 AM
"if someone calls and makes ressies for next year and pay in full, they are still subjected to any price increases. I'm not even talking about packages, that's just for 'room only' That has happened to us for the last two years I think if people are paid in full before new pricing is released then they shouldn't have to pay the difference. "

Seriously???? Is that true? I don't see how they can do that unless they are telling you that the package will be adjusted to the rate when you make your ressies. Wow I am just shocked. If you hadn't "paid in full" I could see it but my goodness. That is almost like taking no expiry tickets and saying "sorry we have to increase the cost on you".

Somebody else want to shed more light on this?
Yes, that is what they do. Package prices aren't released until later in the year. They allow people to book packages at the highest rate currently in affect. When the prices come out, they adjust the package higher or lower depending on when you are arriving.

mskayjay
06-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Yes, that is what they do. Package prices aren't released until later in the year. They allow people to book packages at the highest rate currently in affect. When the prices come out, they adjust the package higher or lower depending on when you are arriving.

Wow! What a nightmare for budgeting for some families! I never knew they did that. Of course we've always pretty much gone spur of the moment or at most planned 3-4 months out like this time.

redc
06-09-2008, 11:23 AM
Who knows, maybe when you and your family get to your room there might be luggage tags or a picture of Mickey & Minnie on your bed.

I wouldn't expect it.

Why are people so protective of Disney
and get so sarcastic with anyone that has a legitimate problem with them?
:confused3

auntie
06-09-2008, 11:40 AM
I think Disney is like a relgious experience for some.:rotfl2:
I don't know..I've been visiting sinc '91. I'm one of Disney's biggest fans. :thumbsup2 . Stockholder from the dark ages..when they actually offered discounts to stockholders! Only I've seen some changes in the company over the last few years in particular that I don't think are very "magical". Honestly they're probably just like any other company, where as at one time, I think they held themselves to a higher standard. That's not to say they are terrible..but not as "magical" as they once were. I think you have to do your homework, and know what it is your supposed to pay, and then see what or if the discount is legit. There was a time when you didn't have to question the rate..or the discount. That is not the case any longer. I think they are like any other company and we need to adjust our expectations accordingly...and make our own magic.

mirmartinez
06-09-2008, 12:32 PM
the last day of our first trip, I called w/ the bounce back and was misquoted.

for 6 nights, two savahana view rooms, including deluxe dining for a family of 5 , 2 adults, 3 children ages 3, 5, 9 , she gave us a quote for $2900.

I said are you sure (are trip we were finishing up was for one room por, and one child was 2, was $2700)

the cm said sure am,
my hunch that she was wrong was confirmed when we put the deposit down, the glitch or whatever corrected itself and the new price more then doubled the old
She apoligized, I laughed and told her thats fine.
The new price was out of our budget, so I choose por.

minnie61650
06-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Wow! What a nightmare for budgeting for some families! I never knew they did that. Of course we've always pretty much gone spur of the moment or at most planned 3-4 months out like this time.

Back in the 70's we used to book 2 or 3 years in advance. The price quoted was always the current price and
our ressie said right on it : that if rates were to go up we owe the new rate.
WDW still has that clause written in the contact. So even if a guest paid off the original quote they have it writing that they have to pay the difference if the price increases.

eyor44
06-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Redc, I feel for you. and I completely understand where you are coming from. The attitude of some "customer service employees" these days stink. Maybe you will get "dreamed" while you are at Disney. Hope so.

redc
06-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Redc, I feel for you. and I completely understand where you are coming from. The attitude of some "customer service employees" these days stink. Maybe you will get "dreamed" while you are at Disney. Hope so.

Thanks for your understanding.

CleveRocks
06-09-2008, 01:19 PM
I can only speak for myself, but I'm no "defender of Disney." I just often see a red flag raised when someone seems to "want something" as a result of a non-injurious event.

When I read things like "I've spent 10s of thousands of dollars there" I sniff a sense of entitlement which is out of proportion to the real world.

I fully agree that the OP had her hopes raised and then dashed. I wouldn't have liked it if it happened to me, either. But I surely wouldn't expect anything beyond a sincere apology. I wouldn't feel that Disney owes me any more than that.

The question "Why are some people so protective of Disney" can be turned around and asked as "Why do some people expect more bending-over-backwards from Disney than of any other huge corporation?"

And by the way, before I moved to the Atlantic City area, something similar happened to me twice at two different casino hotels (telephone reservationist making an error in my favor, only later to be rescinded). So I'm not just talking from the cheap seats here.

fall08CP
06-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Let's think about the reverse...
What if they had overpriced you and then fixed the glitch and suddenly you owed less? By your logic you should overpay the amount and the CM pockets the extra. :confused3

I think that if you add it up yourself you know more or less what the price is going to be. If I saw the price as a couple hundred dollars lower than I would ask them to break it down and see if something was wrong. If it is the CMs fault, do they think they personally should get the hundreds of dollars taken out of their paycheck and maybe not be able to feed their family for a week or two? It's certainly not Disney's fault that they made a mistake. I would guess that had they not made the mistake and they had given you the actual price, you would have paid it anyways. You're not losing out on anything but you seem to be trying to make the poor CM lose a lot.

PrincessBride010103
06-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Let's think about the reverse...
What if they had overpriced you and then fixed the glitch and suddenly you owed less? By your logic you should overpay the amount and the CM pockets the extra. :confused3

I think that if you add it up yourself you know more or less what the price is going to be. If I saw the price as a couple hundred dollars lower than I would ask them to break it down and see if something was wrong. If it is the CMs fault, do they think they personally should get the hundreds of dollars taken out of their paycheck and maybe not be able to feed their family for a week or two? It's certainly not Disney's fault that they made a mistake. I would guess that had they not made the mistake and they had given you the actual price, you would have paid it anyways. You're not losing out on anything but you seem to be trying to make the poor CM lose a lot.

::yes:: Well said.

mandymommy4
06-09-2008, 08:13 PM

And a few hundred dollars upset you to this point? :confused3

I guess if the reservation was booked at the original price and then you later discover that the reservation was incorrect you would have been furious that you had to call back and fix it rather than the CM doing a thorough job and double checking everything originally? Your right, the nerve of the CM doing his job and discovering a mistake and saving you the headache of having to fix your reservation! :rolleyes:

mickeymoo
06-09-2008, 08:47 PM
I think Disney is like a relgious experience for some.:rotfl2:
I don't know..I've been visiting sinc '91. I'm one of Disney's biggest fans. :thumbsup2 . Stockholder from the dark ages..when they actually offered discounts to stockholders! Only I've seen some changes in the company over the last few years in particular that I don't think are very "magical". Honestly they're probably just like any other company, where as at one time, I think they held themselves to a higher standard. That's not to say they are terrible..but not as "magical" as they once were. I think you have to do your homework, and know what it is your supposed to pay, and then see what or if the discount is legit. There was a time when you didn't have to question the rate..or the discount. That is not the case any longer. I think they are like any other company and we need to adjust our expectations accordingly...and make our own magic.

Thank you thank you thank you...when returning from my recent trip I thought the magic was a little "off"...compared to the days of yore...and I got my head ripped off. I, like others, love Disney so it is sad..but lets face it folks..disney posted a 22% increase in 1st quarter...gogod for them, but maybe they're more focused now on magical experiences for their stockholders than their visitors... like the PP said they are not bad or terrible...just a bit off...and in order to keep a high profit margin they are going to keep lowering thier standards until "we" stop spending money or demand the magic we have known and loved and Walt wanted. What they have the CM's do in booking is disgusting. Alot of families work very hard and skimp on other areas of thier life norder to give thier kids the gift of experiencing Disney...what they are doing is just wrong. So flame away..I'm getting used to it!

bluwater
06-09-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm really stumped on how the OP was "duped". There was a mistake with the computer (maybe - probably more like human error), which was corrected and restated in a number of minutes. There was no transaction.:confused3

We're not talking about a bar of soap that is stated as 50% off, but should have been 20% off....we're talking about hundreds of dollars per transaction in error - maybe thousands. If Disney had a policy to honor every misquote from the second it leaves the CM's mouth, they'd be closed and we'd all be going to Six Flags. No large business operates that way.

I'm sorry the OP feels "duped", but I don't get it. What damage did the OP suffer?

If someone gets this annoyed simply by a mistake with the quotes, wait til you get down there and deal with the crows, heat, people, kids, etc. :scared1:

redc
06-09-2008, 09:29 PM
I can only speak for myself, but I'm no "defender of Disney." I just often see a red flag raised when someone seems to "want something" as a result of a non-injurious event.

When I read things like "I've spent 10s of thousands of dollars there" I sniff a sense of entitlement which is out of proportion to the real world.

I fully agree that the OP had her hopes raised and then dashed. I wouldn't have liked it if it happened to me, either. But I surely wouldn't expect anything beyond a sincere apology. I wouldn't feel that Disney owes me any more than that.

The question "Why are some people so protective of Disney" can be turned around and asked as "Why do some people expect more bending-over-backwards from Disney than of any other huge corporation?"

And by the way, before I moved to the Atlantic City area, something similar happened to me twice at two different casino hotels (telephone reservationist making an error in my favor, only later to be rescinded). So I'm not just talking from the cheap seats here.

Very passionate responses! I respect your opinion, especially now that I see that you're in South Jersey. Yet still, not very compassionate toward the little guy. And the sniff of entitlement is way off base. And very interestingly...what does it say that you think I am a she?

CleveRocks
06-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Very passionate responses! I respect your opinion, especially now that I see that you're in South Jersey. Yet still, not very compassionate toward the little guy. And the sniff of entitlement is way off base. And very interestingly...what does it say that you think I am a she?I'm very compassionate for all us little guys when Big Business actually wrongs us, when they strong-arm us with their might. But a verbal error made by a customer service rep that was relatively quickly corrected ... sorry, I just can't side with the little guy on that. Sorry.

And my assuming you were a woman? Don't take it personally, just playing the percentages, I guess, without having given it much thought ... I think the females way outnumber the males here.

And your camaraderie with me (being in South Jersey) may or may not change when you learn I'm a native Philadelphian who moved to Atlantic City 10 years ago by way of Cleveland, Ohio.

But I apprecate your civil response to my civil response ... it's so nice to finally be able to disagree with someone and not have them get all bent out of shape about it. I wish more DISers were like you!!!

karebear06
06-09-2008, 10:58 PM
I am really sorry about your situation and I am sure the CM made an honest mistake and is sorry. I am a Bath and Body Works manager and I can relate to the situation. We are all human and make mistakes. I have some customers who are very understanding about situations and then I have some who get very upset if they find a misplaced product on a sale table.
Anyways, life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

kaytieeldr
06-09-2008, 11:02 PM
I wouldn't expect it.

Why are people so protective of Disney Aside from the religious fanatacism? :lmao:

We're not, necessarily. You say you want "something" more than the unfortunately result you got from the CM while you were still on the phone with your original call - but you can't say what. It wasn't until another poster made a suggestion that you agreed 'yeah, luggage tags would be enough'.

And a few hundred dollars upset you to this point? A few hundred not-yet-spent or -billed dollars.

Nicole721
06-10-2008, 02:01 AM

Unfortunately, with Disney, it doesn't matter either way.

We booked when we got a code last winter. We made it clear we wanted deluxe dining. The CM reiterated many times deluxe dining. We got a quote and immediately put a deposit down.

The next day, we get an email with our specifics that said basic dining.

We had to go through three supervisors. None of whom were helpful. We asked if there was a recording of the phone call. The next day they said there was, but that the CM must have gotten confused (not sure how he was confused when he kept saying deluxe dining back to us when we asked him to repeat the specifics) and they couldn't determine anything from the call. We asked to hear the phone call. They refused to let us.

Long story short?

We had to shell out an extra $700 even though it was the CM's error and we had put down a deposit. Disney just doesn't care. If I had cancelled my trip, someone else would have just used their code to get the room I had dropped.

kaytieeldr
06-10-2008, 05:36 AM
Disney cares - but again, what would you expect them to do? "Eat" $700 because their employee made a mistake?

Call tapes are for internal use. Their intention is not to prove or disprove conversation, and it makes sense that they're not available to the customer.

For all you know, that CM lost his job over this mistake.

nbodyhome
06-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Disney cares - but again, what would you expect them to do? "Eat" $700 because their employee made a mistake?

Call tapes are for internal use. Their intention is not to prove or disprove conversation, and it makes sense that they're not available to the customer.

Likely nothing happened with the CM.

I used to work at DRC - I felt bad anytime I misquoted a price for a guest (or if I found out someone else did when I took another guests call). I personally prefer booking everything online now - Disney or not - so I can see the price in writing.

nbodyhome
06-10-2008, 07:29 AM
I've never come across this before, but I always price packages online and then call to book. I have learned that insurance is (usually) automatically figured in so I always specify "no insurance"....and the price given to me by a CM is always dead on with what I got online ::yes::. Sorry this has happened to you :worried:. All I can think of is maybe the CM made a mistake when he first priced it by not adding in the right number of children, DDP, or hopper option or something :confused3?

Insurance is "assumptive". Disney wants to sell it, and includes it unless you opt out (usually).

redc
06-10-2008, 07:45 AM
I'm very compassionate for all us little guys when Big Business actually wrongs us, when they strong-arm us with their might. But a verbal error made by a customer service rep that was relatively quickly corrected ... sorry, I just can't side with the little guy on that. Sorry.

And my assuming you were a woman? Don't take it personally, just playing the percentages, I guess, without having given it much thought ... I think the females way outnumber the males here.

And your camaraderie with me (being in South Jersey) may or may not change when you learn I'm a native Philadelphian who moved to Atlantic City 10 years ago by way of Cleveland, Ohio.

But I apprecate your civil response to my civil response ... it's so nice to finally be able to disagree with someone and not have them get all bent out of shape about it. I wish more DISers were like you!!!

Thanks. I enjoyed the civil exchanges as well. It can get nasty on here. Many people take things so personally. And concerning your heritage, Springsteen made Philly his second home, so it can't be all that bad....Go Eagles!!!

Mrsjvb
06-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Theoretical type question here:

you say that the error was the lack of DDP being added for part of your party. Glitches happen. the CM can press all the right buttons and click all the right links, but sometimes the Interweb hiccups and something gets lost in the abyss. How many times do you try and go to an URL and after forever, the page pops up "can't find the page" but you hit refresh and 'poof' there it is. Even accounting for operator error( computer screens tend to blur after too long in front of them) and they just plain missed adding it to everyone's ticket, at least they FOUND the mistake and corrected it. BEFORE you showed up.

What if that hadn't been caught, you showed up and suddenly discovered several of your party had no DP? as far as anybody at the front desk could tell, the plan was not purchased. how would you react to having to fork over the money at that point? even if you had caught the omission when you got your documents prior to arriving, and you called to rectify, what then..as far as the system could tell, you didn't purchase the DDP for those family members. It may have been the intent but the reality would have been much different, at least according to the information at the CM's end..

redc
06-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Theoretical type question here:
What if that hadn't been caught, you showed up and suddenly discovered several of your party had no DP? as far as anybody at the front desk could tell, the plan was not purchased. how would you react to having to fork over the money at that point? even if you had caught the omission when you got your documents prior to arriving, and you called to rectify, what then..as far as the system could tell, you didn't purchase the DDP for those family members. It may have been the intent but the reality would have been much different, at least according to the information at the CM's end..

This one sounds like the car mechanic who gives you a quote and when the time comes to pick up your car, the price is much higher than expected. What do you do then? To get your keys you have to pay.

PrincessBride010103
06-10-2008, 10:37 AM
This one sounds like the car mechanic who gives you a quote and when the time comes to pick up your car, the price is much higher than expected. What do you do then? To get your keys you have to pay.

That's not what it sounds like at all.

If you didn't pay for DDP, then it would not be in the system, so eventually if you wanted DDP you'd have to pay. Now or later.

redc
06-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Please close this thread. :duck: :duck:

kaytieeldr
06-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Click on that little white triangle with the red outline, under your number of posts. It's the "notify" button. In the comment box, ask again to have the thread closed.

It's a civil thread; the Moderators probably aren't paying much attention and so may not see your request in the thread.

safetymom
06-10-2008, 07:40 PM
I have been watching this thread. So far it has been civil. I will be keeping an eye on it.

dclfun
06-10-2008, 08:42 PM
Last year I booked a package online in the late summer/early fall for December. I can't remember the offer but there was a link to it online. I purchased a four night package at ASMusic, party of two adults, four day hopper tickets and the DDP. When I booked and paid the deposit I printed out my confirmation with all the components listed...including the DDP for both of us. I later paid in full-no recap was done but the agent took my CC. When I got the document package I noticed there was no DDP listed so I called. I ended up with a supervisor who would not honor my package even though I offered to fax the confirmation showing that I had the DDP. I was told there was NO WAY my deal could be so good and was told that I should know that it was wrong somehow but that I could then pay the add'l amt. to add the DDP. I thought it was correct and had no way of knowing it wasn't. Long story but my rate wasn't honored. I was able to get it cancelled w/o penalty since I felt I had been mislead.I still have a really bad taste from that experience, Goes to show that even having something in writing isn't good enough. If it's a computer vs. human error, it still won't be honored.--Kathy

3"Mouse"keteers
06-10-2008, 08:59 PM
How are YOU suffering if you're paying the correct price that everyone else is having to pay? I think you are just upset because you thought you were going to get something for free and now you're not. What if the situation were reversed and disney quoted you a price that was too much and unknowingly you agreed to it, maybe even put down a deposit. well, then after getting off the phone you discovered that they charged you too much. You call back to get them to fix it, and they say "Sorry, we had a verbal agreement on that price. Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do for you." :(

eyor44
06-10-2008, 09:15 PM
I recently built a new house and paid OOP for a lot of the materials. I ordered the tile for around the fireplace from a locally owned business whom I had used before. The owner measured and ordered the tile needed but didn't order enough. When I heard of the mistake I tried to pay him the difference and do you know what his response was? "Not necessary. This was my mistake and I take full responsibility." He would not let me pay the difference because he "quoted" me a price that I accepted in good faith. And with any other business, if you have something showing proof, that proof will be honored. I am disappointed that Disney does not honor their work. I have questioned something on my reservation and have been told that I was wrong and then that I was right by a different CM. It's a small thing, but I am curious to see what happens when we arrive.

lisa3383
06-10-2008, 09:38 PM
The companies that honor their quoted price do so, at least in part, to keep their good name. They want your repeat business and they want you to spread the word that they are a good company. Disney may not feel this is necessary in these situations because they have built a very large empire already, and so the money they would lose by honoring misquotes may be more than if they lose one customer's repeat business. And I'm probably correct in assuming that you yourself is still going to go to Disney.

The person that mentioned 'consideration' in an earlier post is correct. Although you may feel you made an oral contract, it doesn't appear that you actually did as you gave no consideration in the exchange. On top of this point, Disney seems to have countless protections that give them the right to change prices even after you've paid!

Sorry, although many companies would give you something for free in such a situation, Disney just isn't one of them. Honestly, that sort of practice would probably just raise prices for the rest of us.

redc
06-10-2008, 10:23 PM
I have been watching this thread. So far it has been civil. I will be keeping an eye on it.

I guess it's ok to keep it going...we'll take your lead. As the OP, I feel that I've raised an interesting question...and people have had a chance to voice their opinions, although some of it is "beating a dead horse." :sad2:

Karlzmom
06-10-2008, 11:25 PM
I recently built a new house and paid OOP for a lot of the materials. I ordered the tile for around the fireplace from a locally owned business whom I had used before. The owner measured and ordered the tile needed but didn't order enough. When I heard of the mistake I tried to pay him the difference and do you know what his response was? "Not necessary. This was my mistake and I take full responsibility." He would not let me pay the difference because he "quoted" me a price that I accepted in good faith. And with any other business, if you have something showing proof, that proof will be honored. I am disappointed that Disney does not honor their work. I have questioned something on my reservation and have been told that I was wrong and then that I was right by a different CM. It's a small thing, but I am curious to see what happens when we arrive.

Some industries are required to honor their quotes, or not go over by more than a certain percentage. I know in CA the law requires that the auto repair industry has to be accurate....don't know what else. Of course, this will also vary by state and industry....

Tink888
06-11-2008, 10:11 AM
OP - I'm sorry that this happened to you. I don't think Disney did anything wrong though. If your trip had been paid in full and then Disney had discovered the error, the situation would be different. It sounds like they gave you a price quote (which is what it is - just a quote) and then caught the error that 3 people were missing from the dining plan. Better to have caught the error now then later in my opinion when you still have a choice as to whether or not you want to pay that price.

I haven't had a bad experience with CRO (luckily) but what I always do is get my quote online and then call to book. If the numbers don't match, I ask about it. That way online, I can double-check and make sure I'm getting exactly what I need and I know exactly how much it will cost me before I call. CM's are human just like the rest of us and sometimes make mistakes. At least the error was caught before it really would have been an inconvience. As long as they apologized I don't think there is anymore that should have been done.

mickeyluvr004
06-11-2008, 10:39 AM

Yep same thing happened to me i booked last year for the bounceback and when i got home and saw the printout it had my then 3 yo daughter as an infant (didn't know that could happen:lmao: :rotfl2: ) so i called and told them the error and the price changed and i said that is not what was quoted and they basically said oh well this is the price and i said well how can a 3yo become an infant in a year he said there is nothing i can do by then he kept putting me on hold and after 45 minutes i was glad to get off the phone so it does happen unfortunatly :(

redc
06-11-2008, 11:30 AM
he kept putting me on hold and after 45 minutes i was glad to get off the phone so it does happen unfortunatly :(

I think that's a tactic that they use when a confrontation occurs. I was on hold a very long time...maybe 10-12 minutes during my call...that's like an eternity sitting on the side of the road in your car on a cell phone. I think they hope you hang up.

arbonnette
06-11-2008, 02:18 PM

I have been following this thread for a few days, and I really believe that a lot of these problems could be resolved if Disney gave their CRO CMs better training. For example, when you call, it seems many (NOT ALL) CMs don't know their stuff, like the difference between regular and deluxe dining plan and the difference between many of the views at various resorts. They can be SURE they are RIGHT, and then later, you find out you owe more, and the CM didn't know what they were talking about.

While I DO feel original quotes should be honored in these cases, it's just a fact that they are not, and Disney more than insures they have an out in these situations. Unfortunate, yes. Illegal, no.

So if the CMs were more educated in all the intricacies of booking a reservation and all the options that are allowed/available, many "misquotes" due to human error could be avoided, IMHO.

To the OP, I am sorry you had to experience this; at least it was taken care of upfront instead of arriving at the resort and learning part of your party had no dining plan ...

redc
06-11-2008, 02:34 PM
To the OP, I am sorry you had to experience this; at least it was taken care of upfront instead of arriving at the resort and learning part of your party had no dining plan ...

Very eloquently said. And thank you.

rie'smom
06-11-2008, 04:07 PM
I'd blow off the DDP-it's not worth it. You can make your own ADRs. Because people pay in advance for the DDP, they( and we, when we had the DDP) feel like they HAVE to go to restaurants at a certain time or they'll lose their money.
If you book w/o the DDP and something happens to interfere with your ADR-you're having more fun doing something else or you're tired, or the kids are cranky,etc., and you have to miss your ADR, at least you're not out any money.
Before I get blasted into the universe for suggesting skipping an ADR, the CMs told me it's no biggie because they allow for this each day. What you need to do if you want to take advantage of this is show up at a restaurant right when it opens and 9 out if 10 times, you can make a reservation for that day.

CleveRocks
06-11-2008, 04:25 PM
I'd blow off the DDP-it's not worth it. You can make your own ADRs. Because people pay in advance for the DDP, they( and we, when we had the DDP) feel like they HAVE to go to restaurants at a certain time or they'll lose their money.
If you book w/o the DDP and something happens to interfere with your ADR-you're having more fun doing something else or you're tired, or the kids are cranky,etc., and you have to miss your ADR, at least you're not out any money.
Before I get blasted into the universe for suggesting skipping an ADR, the CMs told me it's no biggie because they allow for this each day. What you need to do if you want to take advantage of this is show up at a restaurant right when it opens and 9 out if 10 times, you can make a reservation for that day.
I don't understand. You seem to imply that one can't buy the DDP and make same-day ADRs. That's not true.

rie'smom
06-11-2008, 04:45 PM
I don't understand. You seem to imply that one can't buy the DDP and make same-day ADRs. That's not true.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I didn't mean that at all.

dsnymomx2
06-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Yep same thing happened to me i booked last year for the bounceback and when i got home and saw the printout it had my then 3 yo daughter as an infant (didn't know that could happen:lmao: :rotfl2: ) so i called and told them the error and the price changed and i said that is not what was quoted and they basically said oh well this is the price and i said well how can a 3yo become an infant in a year he said there is nothing i can do by then he kept putting me on hold and after 45 minutes i was glad to get off the phone so it does happen unfortunatly :(

The same exact thing happened to me. My husband booked our Aug trip in march and explicitly told the CS person(A few times) that my son would be three when we arrived (bday in may) he verified all the info several times and kept asking if the price was for the four of us and was told yes repeatedly. (we had a pin code and thought, whoa this is a great discount!) BUT the CS person never counted DS in the package. When we called back to add two more days to our vacation they told us that the cm booking made a mistake and the price would b a few hundred dollars more than orig price:eek: . I was quite annoyed...We were never trying to get one over on Disney, we're happy to pay for our son and were told it included him when we booked the pkg. My husband was put on hold many times, spoke to managers etc.. to no avail. it happens, We're over it, we're happy to be going to WDW:yay: . ( it's just the priciple of it all). Honestly, I think they have been training new CS people lately. When we planned our trip for last Dec, it was my kids 1st time so everytime I called, I chose the first timer option on the automated system and was patched into wonderful CS people who knew EVERYTHING. Sorry I had to vent as well :)

redc
06-11-2008, 09:03 PM
The same exact thing happened to me......My husband was put on hold many times, spoke to managers etc.. to no avail. it happens, We're over it, we're happy to be going to WDW:yay: ..... Sorry I had to vent as well :)

I know just how you feel!:(

Caren
06-12-2008, 07:35 AM
As others said, it is a non-binding quote until you make a deposit, so although it sucks, they're doing what they are allowed.

I had a change AFTER I made a deposit. Actually, I didn't even know they'd changed it until I got to the Beach Club and the confirmation I had printed out was a couple of hundred under what was in their system. After I got home, I discovered that they had sent a second confirmation with a higher price to my (little-used) email account ONE WEEK before I went on vacation.

To their credit, they did--after a lot of fussing and supervisors--honor the price on my printed confirmation, but the experience definitely left a bad taste in my mouth.

musicmanuk
06-25-2008, 05:14 PM
I have been reading this forum with interest.

Today, the balance of payment was due on an invoice for a short 3-day package (hotel, tickets, meal plan) at WDW in August. I paid the $200 deposit in January, and they emailed an invoice showing the dates booked, the $200 deposit paid, and the balance due.

I phoned to pay the balance today, and they said I had only booked 2 nights (the invoice shows 3), and there were not any rooms for 3 nights available. After 30 minutes on the phone, an extra night was found, and then they said the price was wrong on the invoice.

I said I had a copy of the invoice, showing dates and prices. They then asked me to fax a copy to guest relations. I waited 30 minutes, then called guest relations again. The reservation was now showing 3 nights, but the price was about 40% higher. Again, I stressed that I had an invoice showing the deposit paid, and the balance due. I indicated I was not happy to pay the extra, so they said they would get back to me within 24 hours after launching an investigation.

I live in the UK, so know nothing about US law. Is there anything else I can do?

rgf207
06-25-2008, 05:25 PM
This is a much different story than the OP's. You have paid your deposit and received your invoice which clearly states what you owe. They should not ask for more. I'm not sure what the law says. I don't think the law can do much but you are entitled to a full refund if they back out.

You have the option of filing with the Better Business Bureau if they do not hold up to their end

HeyIt'sMe
06-25-2008, 05:27 PM
I made an online payment towards our WDW package today and saw this information posted under Terms and Conditions....

General Conditions and Responsibility
.....In addition, Disney reserves the right to cancel or modify a reservation (including after the reservation has been confirmed) if the reservation includes or resulted from a mistake or error of any kind, including but not limited to, a mistake or error in price or description of the package or package components,.....

auntie
06-25-2008, 08:45 PM
It's just wrong. :( They may say that in the fine print to cover their butts..but it doesn't make it right. They shouldn't have to pay more than they were quoted and sent a deposit for. The so called error should have been caught when the deposit was received. Now that they make their final payment, it's suddenly more money:confused3

While it may not be the same as the OP's situation, it certainly does indicate ...at least to my satisfaction, that there are getting to be way too many of these situations. Whether it's due to poor training or deception(and I for one believe that some of these scenario's are just that)...it's wrong, and needs to be addressed.

amyj1024
06-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Another reason we always book through AAA, the rate they quote is the rate we get.

Except when we got our quote thru AAA it was $500 higher than the price quoted to me at WDW.com. I told them I wouldn't be booking, and then they brought the price down so it was about $200 less than the wdw.com price. You just have to be a good shopper, and have all your info.

redc
06-25-2008, 11:17 PM
I'm glad to see that this post continues to attract attention. As the OP, I stand by my beliefs, even though I was flamed by many for "wanting something for free."

As a recent poster said: this is becoming far to common.

Red

dclfun
06-26-2008, 07:47 AM
As I mentioned in my post, I had paid my reservation in full. My confirmation printed from my home computer showed my resort stay, 4 day MYW ticket, and the DDP. When I finally got my final documents I didn't see the DDP on the itinerary so I called. When I made my final payment over the phone the ressie wasn't recapped and thus I had no idea there was no DDP til I got those documents. They would NOT honor the price I had but did allow me to cx the package w/o penalty. I offered to fax my confirmation but was told that wasn't necessary as there was NO WAY the price was accurate. How was I supposed to know? Then it was blamed on my home computer as if my own computer could "make up" a rate or include the DDP at no cost to me. So yes, they can and do use that little clause that allows them to get away with not honoring a reservation price, even once you're paid in full. Fortunately we live nearby and were driving. If I'd have been flying and had nonrefundable air I don't know what I'd have done.---Kathy