PDA

View Full Version : Most Overpriced Resort Item

qman
06-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Just curious, but do you feel was is the most overpriced item at a resort. My vote was the $20.00 I paid for a half an hour for a surrey bike at CSR. I only did it because my daughter kept asking the entire week and I finally gave in on the final day.

missycj96
06-06-2008, 08:34 PM
I actually think that most of the prices for things you need to buy at resorts are pretty reasonable - considering that you are buying them at resorts at Disney. I do think that the $20 for the surrey bike is too high. One item that I can think of where the price was really high was a six pack of beer in the gift shop. And I had sticker shock about 2 years ago when I needed to buy formula - but pre-made formula is really expensive anyway. Some items I have been surprised at how fair the prices are - When I needed to buy bottles, I was surprised that they were only $2 in the gift shops. Also, pool toys were only $4 for a basketful - and a pail and shovel for sale by the pool at the Grand Floridian was about $1.

mickeymoo
06-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Cocktails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:faint:

Eeyore's Pal
06-06-2008, 09:20 PM
$9.95 for 24 hours if internet service.

Dizz42
06-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Internet access at the Boardwalk if you don't have your own computer. $10.00 for 15 minutes at the convention center. Yikes!:scared1:

Harambe
06-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Laundry service! This can cost you up to $100 for a few loads to be washed and folded.

iluvwdw_2002
06-07-2008, 08:16 AM
I agree with cocktails....YIKERS!!! :eek:

penguin087
06-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Maybe not the most over priced but my biggest cringe was paying $17 for 4 batteries.:scared1:

Jane-in-PA
06-07-2008, 09:14 AM
I actually think that most of the prices for things you need to buy at resorts are pretty reasonable - considering that you are buying them at resorts at Disney. I do think that the $20 for the surrey bike is too high. One item that I can think of where the price was really high was a six pack of beer in the gift shop. And I had sticker shock about 2 years ago when I needed to buy formula - but pre-made formula is really expensive anyway. Some items I have been surprised at how fair the prices are - When I needed to buy bottles, I was surprised that they were only $2 in the gift shops. Also, pool toys were only $4 for a basketful - and a pail and shovel for sale by the pool at the Grand Floridian was about $1.

I remember the same thing about the 6-pack of beer! I was going to post it but I really couldn't remember how much it was, only that it was ridiculous! It was in the POFQ gift shop, I went to buy cokes for myself and beer for my DH, and it seems like the beer was somewhere between $11 and $13 for a 6-pack. :faint:

aDVCguy
06-07-2008, 09:38 AM
:rotfl2: How much did I pay for that shirt again?

Although, this thread is concerned with resort over-priced
items, I couldn't help but to add something that isn't
found at the resorts...

"Dolphins in Depth!"

Anyone go to EPCOT for this also?

A great time for my DD and I...but @ $150 per!
As you leave...you get your $150 tee-shirt!

Just so you know, "Dolphins in Depth" is not run by
Disney...and that $150 goes to the Dolphins
and their caretakers. They're a great group of
people...and the Dolphins are a blast to play with!

PilotWife
06-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Maybe not the most over priced but my biggest cringe was paying $17 for 4 batteries.:scared1:

No joke - I had to do this once and ONLY ONCE....I will never be without batteries again down there.

Jennifer

*HappilyEverAfter*
06-07-2008, 10:08 AM
I personally think all of the Disney Merchandise in the hotels, and around Disney property are a bit overpriced considering they are all made in China.

snappy
06-07-2008, 10:28 AM
$4 plus for a small box of Poptarts (more than a bag of Thomas bagels)!!!:eek:

larryz
06-07-2008, 10:40 AM
Just curious, but do you feel was is the most overpriced item at a resort. My vote was the $20.00 I paid for a half an hour for a surrey bike at CSR. I only did it because my daughter kept asking the entire week and I finally gave in on the final day.

Do you mean, besides the actual room itself???

kirbsam
06-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Do you mean, besides the actual room itself???

right on. rack rate at the deluxes...yikes.

larryz
06-07-2008, 11:37 AM

Indeed! :scared1:

Knavey
06-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Playing video games with my son at AKL arcade.

I remember when it used to be $0.25 a play...now it is swipe a credit card!

RichieTruxillo
06-07-2008, 10:07 PM
It's a toss up between the 16.99 I had to pay for batteries at Animal Kingdom or the cocktails that burn a hole in your pocket! :rotfl:

Frankiesmom
06-07-2008, 10:24 PM
The $153.93 that it cost me to buy/ship the castle playset and the WDW railroad set that my 2 sons HAD to have! I did get to save on the sales tax as I was shipping from Fla; but my gripe was it took 10 days to ship it UPS ground- that I thought was a ripoff! My boys were looking everyday.

heatherlynn444
06-08-2008, 01:42 PM
the pillow I wanted from the GF gift shop...When I saw the 80 dollar (i think?) price tag I about flipped out, for a throw pillow!!!! :faint:

David 1980
06-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Pizza what a scam!!!!

Tiggerkeeper
06-08-2008, 02:43 PM
I had to laugh when I saw OP said surrey ride cause that was the best $20 I spent!! I took DD(13) and two of her friend to WDW for their 8th grade graduation celebration and I had them ride me around the lagoon at the Boardwalk! They were worn out at the end of our 30 minutes! :rotfl:

The drinks around the pools are $$$$!

CarolA
06-08-2008, 03:21 PM

And the discounts don't really bring them into reality.

For what you get, RIP OFF!

wood145
06-08-2008, 04:33 PM
I had to laugh when I saw OP said surrey ride cause that was the best $20 I spent!! I took DD(13) and two of her friend to WDW for their 8th grade graduation celebration and I had them ride me around the lagoon at the Boardwalk! They were worn out at the end of our 30 minutes! :rotfl:

The drinks around the pools are $$$$!

I have to agree with you about the BW surrey bikes. We had such a great time on the bikes (and yes we were exhausted and ready to give them back after 30 minutes). It is one of our best memories of our recent trip.

hmmm....The $90 breakfast at Fresh Mediterranean Market - didn't realize it was a buffet until we were served oj and coffee - DS11 - you are 9 today, 9 today, do you hear me :lmao:

Karen

ZebraDomeCrazy
06-08-2008, 04:41 PM
HAIR WRAPS!!!! OMG! I think I spent about $40 by the time we had beads, and tip in there!! I think there's approximately $1.50 worth of thread and beads! :rotfl2: Oh well - happy, not complaining daughter? PRICELESS!

jlewisinsyr
06-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Laundry service! This can cost you up to $100 for a few loads to be washed and folded.

We thought sending our laundry out between our Disney World trip and Cruise was the best spent money. It was so nice to leave it for them before we left for the day of parks and have it hangining in the closet when we returned for the day. We would do it again if we needed to, from a long stay or something.

And the discounts don't really bring them into reality.

For what you get, RIP OFF!

All in all, I really don't think any of the prices are out of the ordinary/excessive. Sure the resorts when looking from a star level point of view are a little high, but from a experience point of view they are a pretty decent deal.

alldiz
06-08-2008, 06:39 PM

I'm with ya on the surrey bikes. We made one loop around on the boardwalk and gave it back. Paid the 20 bucks and was amazed how we paid 20 bucks to be tortured:rotfl2: :lmao:
Kerri

HARASW
06-08-2008, 06:59 PM
:rotfl2: How much did I pay for that shirt again?

Although, this thread is concerned with resort over-priced
items, I couldn't help but to add something that isn't
found at the resorts...

"Dolphins in Depth!"

Anyone go to EPCOT for this also?

A great time for my DD and I...but @ $150 per!
As you leave...you get your $150 tee-shirt!

Just so you know, "Dolphins in Depth" is not run by
Disney...and that $150 goes to the Dolphins
and their caretakers. They're a great group of
people...and the Dolphins are a blast to play with!

My DD and I participated last year. Yes, that was a very expensive t shirt but we had a wonderful experience. It's not something I would pay for more than once but we were glad we did it once.

pooh2001
06-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Paying extra for our DS age 18 in the room each night. In WDW eyes they say he is an adult, but in oiur eyes - why get 2 rooms ?
For Deluxe resorts - $25 per night extra - then for a 10 night say $250 :eek:

daisyduck123
06-08-2008, 10:19 PM
My vote was the $20.00 I paid for a half an hour for a surrey bike at CSR.

My family actually enjoys this & we're looking forward to renting again when we get to BCV next month. We think this time though, we'll rent individual bikes, rather than a Surrey.

I think some of their scrapbooking items (like the $15.00 kits) are overpriced.