PDA

View Full Version : mising child in brooklyn NY see if you can help *** UPDATE ** CHILD FOUND

matdrew
05-26-2008, 03:15 PM
My best friends daugter has been missing since thursday she is 14yrs quiet and very sweet. She has a 15 yr old brother who has no idea where she could be. they have the same friends and attend the same school. She is very sheltered mom takes her to and from school everyday. we cannot think of where she could be nd are sooo worried. if you live in brooklyn ny please look at photo and see if you can help. thanks

Please help find Brittany Johns (brooklyn, gravesend, John Dewey HS)

If anyone would like to make and distribute fliers to help this missing child. today is national missing children's day and this young girl is missing since this Thursday. She is a sweet kid. Please help us.

Please help us find Brittany Johns 5'1" 95 lbs, Brown Eyes, Black Hair. Last seen wearing black and white sweater with a black teeshirt on top, blue jeans and gray timberlands, and carrying a My Chem messenger bag. IF ANYONE SEES BRITTNEY JOHNS PLEASE CONTACT US ON THIS NUMBER 718-449-1548. Please forward to all your friends.

Please do not call the number regarding the fliers. We are trying to keep the line open for the police or tips . Thanks.

Last seen in Gravesend/Coney Island Brooklyn at John Dewey High School. She is 14 yrs old. If anyone can post this in other places please do, and forward around. She has been missing since Thursday. We are all worried sick. Thanks.

Brittany, if you see this we all love you. Please come home. No one would be upset with you. We just want you home safe.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q143/matdrew/DSC024151-1.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q143/matdrew/SD.jpg
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q143/matdrew/01150001160801040920080526ca42a1508.jpg

PLEASE COPY THIS AND POST EVERYWHERE YOU CAN. THANKS

toodycat
05-26-2008, 03:29 PM
My heart goes out to you and her family. Let's all hope and pray she returns home safely.

GothTink
05-26-2008, 03:30 PM
Can you post the pic please?

frannn
05-26-2008, 03:36 PM
Mine will turn 15 this month & has a lot of friends. If you post a picture, I will show it to her & have her ask around. Hope you find her- I don't even want to think about what the family is going through. :hug:

katie26
05-26-2008, 03:43 PM
Wow, I actually live in Gravesend. If you need help distributing flyers, or if there's anything else I can do, please PM me.

rockyroad
05-26-2008, 03:46 PM
This is every mother's greatest fear.

I pray the child is found well and soon.

matdrew
05-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Mine will turn 15 this month & has a lot of friends. If you post a picture, I will show it to her & have her ask around. Hope you find her- I don't even want to think about what the family is going through. :hug:

matdrew
05-26-2008, 03:52 PM
Wow, I actually live in Gravesend. If you need help distributing flyers, or if there's anything else I can do, please PM me.

this is her pic. she is a sweet , polite quiet girl. She dosn't have boyfriend. Her friends don't knwo what happened to her. She was last seen at John dewey high school in gravesend/coney island Brooklyn. there ws a carnival/fair at her school. mom picks her up from school everyday and she just wasn't there. she has vey few friends and is not a party girl so we are very worried . she has been missing since Thursday. her parents are worried sick and her brother Dillian who is a year older is devasted. They have the same friends and he has no clue what could have happened to her.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q143/matdrew/01150001160801040920080526ca42a1508.jpg

AnninIowa
05-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Has anyone set up a MySpace page for her? I've seen this done before, and it's a good way to get the word out...plus kids her age are so familiar with MySpace that her pic and story will spread fast.

ImaFunMom
05-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Is there any news yet about her? Praying for her safe return home.

matdrew
05-26-2008, 03:57 PM
Has anyone set up a MySpace page for her? I've seen this done before, and it's a good way to get the word out...plus kids her age are so familiar with MySpace that her pic and story will spread fast.

i tried to put info on my page on myspace but as an adult i am soo bad with this tech stuff so I guess the answer is no. anyone whoi could do this it would be most appreciated. thanks

yesterday was national missing childrens dy. it would be a good deed. any boyscouts out there willing to do it?

maymom96
05-26-2008, 04:53 PM
I'll be praying for her safe return.

Savsmommy
05-26-2008, 05:15 PM
Praying that she is safe and returns home safely. Please keep us updated.

famofsix
05-26-2008, 05:27 PM
why is she not on the news or the statewide Amber alert system:confused3

hentob
05-26-2008, 05:44 PM
why is she not on the news or the statewide Amber alert system:confused3

I was wondering the same thing:worried:

She is on craigslist, but not on the news or on the Amber Alert system:confused:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/laf/695179034.html

matdrew
05-26-2008, 05:59 PM
I was wondering the same thing:worried:

She is on craigslist, but not on the news or on the Amber Alert system:confused:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/laf/695179034.html

we can't put her on. the police has to feel its an abduction because of her age they consider it a runaway situation i think. i tried to contact the news and they said the police has to contact them. unfortuately i gues this happens alot. I am going over to her moms house to see if anything changed. I put hr on craigslist and backpage and on my myspace page. WE gave out flyers the last few days. i was so upset that she cannot be on amber alert.

hentob
05-26-2008, 06:22 PM
A child is a child. Whether she ran away or not, she should be searched for by the police:furious: They should be looking for her!!

I feel so badly for her family.

You are a good friend:hug:

hematite153
05-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Edited after calling NCMEC:

All listings of missing children include "runaways" as well as those presumed to have been victims.

In fact, the DCJS website (http://www.criminaljustice.state.ny.us/missing/aware/runaway.htm)says that runaways are in serious danger and specifies that officers are required to immediately enter a suspected runaway child's name and biographical information into the computer network.

My apologies for assuming this was a hoax, but, the claim that the police weren't interested in looking for her supported that belief.

NCMEC tells me that they do have a report of a missing child who matches this description and that they are trying to gather all of the necessary information so that she can be included in their web listing of missing children as soon as possible.

I suspect the same is true of the DCJS web listing.

I hope that Brittany is found safe soon.

disneybound31
05-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Pretty sure Amber Alerts are only issued if there is a car involved that could be identified in some way such as a (partial or intact) license plate or description.. My dad is a cop and I'm pretty sure he mentioned this is how this works. Could be mistaken- I will check into it.

Many prayers are being sent out from us here in Tennessee.

Traveliz
05-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Pretty sure Amber Alerts are only issued if there is a car involved that could be identified in some way such as a (partial or intact) license plate or description.. My dad is a cop and I'm pretty sure he mentioned this is how this works. Could be mistaken- I will check into it.

Many prayers are being sent out from us here in Tennessee.

I remember reading that as well - there has to be a vehichle to describe and I bellieve they have to know (be fairly certain) the child is in that vehichle or was taken by someone who has that vehicle.

Liz

tinytink
05-26-2008, 08:19 PM
My best friends daugter has been missing since thursday she is 14yrs quiet and very sweet. She has a 15 yr old brother who has no idea where she could be. they have the same friends and attend the same school. She is very sheltered mom takes her to and from school everyday. we cannot think of where she could be nd are sooo worried. if you live in brooklyn ny please look at photo and see if you can help. thanks

Please help find Brittany Johns (brooklyn, gravesend, John Dewey HS)

If anyone would like to make and distribute fliers to help this missing child. today is national missing children's day and this young girl is missing since this Thursday. She is a sweet kid. Please help us.

Please help us find Brittany Johns 5'1" 95 lbs, Brown Eyes, Black Hair. Last seen wearing black and white sweater with a black teeshirt on top, blue jeans and gray timberlands, and carrying a My Chem messenger bag. IF ANYONE SEES BRITTNEY JOHNS PLEASE CONTACT US ON THIS NUMBER 718-449-1548. Please forward to all your friends.

Please do not call the number regarding the fliers. We are trying to keep the line open for the police or tips . Thanks.

Last seen in Gravesend/Coney Island Brooklyn at John Dewey High School. She is 14 yrs old. If anyone can post this in other places please do, and forward around. She has been missing since Thursday. We are all worried sick. Thanks.

Brittany, if you see this we all love you. Please come home. No one would be upset with you. We just want you home safe.

PLEASE COPY THIS AND POST EVERYWHERE YOU CAN. THANKS
I hope she is found but is this phone number or the one on Craigslist the correct one? I hope we can get the correct information out to help find her. Please check the number and repost for anyone who might have information on Brittany.

Plantlady
05-26-2008, 08:24 PM
My prayers are with the family.

How frightening for everyone involved. Please keep us updated.

hematite153
05-26-2008, 09:34 PM
I hope she is found but is this phone number or the one on Craigslist the correct one? I hope we can get the correct information out to help find her. Please check the number and repost for anyone who might have information on Brittany.

Actually, I think the BEST phone number to use (for Brittany and all possible missing children) is:

1-800-THE-LOST (1-800-843-5678)
(24 hr hotline for the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children)

NJDisneymom
05-26-2008, 10:31 PM
Edited after calling NCMEC:

All listings of missing children include "runaways" as well as those presumed to have been victims.

In fact, the DCJS website (http://www.criminaljustice.state.ny.us/missing/aware/runaway.htm)says that runaways are in serious danger and specifies that officers are required to immediately enter a suspected runaway child's name and biographical information into the computer network.

My apologies for assuming this was a hoax, but, the claim that the police weren't interested in looking for her supported that belief.

NCMEC tells me that they do have a report of a missing child who matches this description and that they are trying to gather all of the necessary information so that she can be included in their web listing of missing children as soon as possible.

I suspect the same is true of the DCJS web listing.

I hope that Brittany is found safe soon.

There are many instances where the police don't do all that they SHOULD because they assume its a runaway. Do a search on Zach Gamble and you will find a case of a teen who "fit a description" of a runaway despite his parents fighting tooth and nail for the police to do something to help find him knowing that he did not run away.

I hope Brittany is found. I wish I was closer to NY to help!

rangermom
05-26-2008, 10:47 PM
There does not have to have a vehicle. There has to be evidence that the child is at risk of bodily harm and it has to be an abuduction. There does have to been sufficent descriptive information so that there is some information given out to the public. To make sure the process is not overloaded and people become complacent on the alerts, there are strict guidelines when this can be used. I manage a law enforcement dispatch and before we can issue an Amber Alert we have to submit a request to the department of justice. All states comply to the same amber alert guidelines.

Believe me, if the police could they would put an alert out for her, but the must not be enough evidence at the moment.

The police still put all missing persons (no matter why or how they are missing) into the NCIC system that is used by all law enforcement agencies in the country. The police department probably also put a APB out to all New York state and the surrounding states indicating that she has been entered into the system and for officers to keep an eye out for her. This is probably more information than you wanted, but hope it clarifies some unanswered questions.

I hope she is found soon. Your friends are in my prayers. This is a parents worst nightmare.

matdrew
05-27-2008, 01:04 AM
the number on craigslist is her parents number and one ad has my cell number.

while giving out flyers today 2 teenage girls were postive that they saw her in coney Island, brooklyn. she described her down to the outfit she was wearing. hearing that we feel a tiny bit better that is alive and most likely ok. the police were notified and her dad and family members went looking for her but did not find her. tomorrow school will reopen and hopefully there might be some leads.

Starlady01
05-27-2008, 04:26 AM
I know it is so strange I Know of a few people who went thu this Thank God all these kids were found.

I have known some who had to fight tooth and nail and some who went on right away. It depends on the officer I guess as to how fast they go on the list. Or the person you contact to have an amber alert or missing child listed.
Some people who work the missing child and amber alert are people who have had a child missing or is missing so sometimes it is easier then not to put a child on the list.

A child is a child and sometimes every min. counts and when the child is found with in days or hours that is a good thing better to be safe then sorry if you ask me.

java
05-27-2008, 05:36 AM
Have you contacted Fox5ny? They put anything on the air and I can't imagine that they wouldn't post the picture of a girl missing in the area to help locate her.
My hope is that something turns up today. I will send it to DH who works with a woman from Brooklyn in that same area and she has a 14 year old son- maybe he has seen her? I'll ask.

Good luck and I hope she turns up today- I am also hopeful that she is just a runaway. But for crying out loud it makes me crazy that that isn't important enough for the police.

I thought if you were missing for 48 hours a missing person's report can be filed? Then at least her info is in the system.

And from the nypd website
How long do I have to wait before I report someone missing?

There are several ways you can report someone missing depending upon the circumstances. For example, if you become separated from a child in a crowd, you can notify a police officer or call 911. In non emergency cases you may wish to visit your local police precinct. It is helpful if you can provide a recent picture of the missing person and a description of what the individual was wearing when last seen.
(I see how that is very non-commital though no real guideline)

Todd&Copper
05-27-2008, 05:45 AM
There are many instances where the police don't do all that they SHOULD because they assume its a runaway. Do a search on Zach Gamble and you will find a case of a teen who "fit a description" of a runaway despite his parents fighting tooth and nail for the police to do something to help find him knowing that he did not run away.

I hope Brittany is found. I wish I was closer to NY to help!

I did Google Zach Gamble and the news article I found said the police believe his death was a suicide or an accident. Is there more to the story that was not covered in the article I found? :confused3

I hope Brittany Johns is found. I saw there are a Craigslist and a Facebook page for her. Do try calling the local news station and see if they will put her picture on - maybe even as they go to commercial or something. I have seen some local newscasts that will do that.

luv2laugh
05-27-2008, 05:50 AM
I hope Brittany Johns is found. I saw there are a Craigslist and a Facebook page for her. Do try calling the local news station and see if they will put her picture on - maybe even as they go to commercial or something. I have seen some local newscasts that will do that.

We had a runaway girl in our area about the same age a couple of weeks ago. The father called FOX and it was all over our local news. The station talked about the incident and showed pictures every 1/2 hour or so. (She was found by the end of the night) Hopefully this little girl will be found safe and sound! :hug:

MELSMICE
05-27-2008, 06:11 AM
Any word today when school was back in session?

Bren's Mom
05-27-2008, 06:56 AM
My prayers are with the Brittany and her family. I hope she's found soon, safe and sound.

FYI, NCIC (the National Crime Information Center) which NY participates with, requires of its participants that any report of a missing person be entered ASAP into the NCIC Missing Persons File. The ask that it be done immediately but allow up to 2 hours since, in some cases, not enough descriptive info is available right away. They do NOT allow their participants to wait 24 hours or any other amount of time. IF a state, municipality or department does not comply with this they may be subject to disciplinary action by NCIC. So for future reference, if anyone has to report someone missing and is told they have to wait tell them NO. NCIC requires the entry to be made immediately, and don't back down!

matdrew
05-27-2008, 07:36 AM
we had some progress gettting her info out. 1010 wins radio station will broadcast it today via our request and we got her on this brookyn ny site http://hellobrooklyn.com/ that gets over 700,000 hits a month. I thought the police would do this because the TV stations said they couldn't do anything for us and that if their is a missing child the police has to request to put it on. I also emailed a brooklyn ny newspaper. I told her mom about the other agencies.Her mom has faith that the police or doing their job. I am way more sceptical. they did not tell us to call anywhere else. we are hoping that if she did leave on her own free will today would be the day she would come back. its raining here in brooklyn and everyone is back to work and school.Her mom and dad are going back to her school to see what they can find out there.

http://hellobrooklyn.com/

matdrew
05-27-2008, 07:41 AM
My prayers are with the Brittany and her family. I hope she's found soon, safe and sound.

FYI, NCIC (the National Crime Information Center) which NY participates with, requires of its participants that any report of a missing person be entered ASAP into the NCIC Missing Persons File. The ask that it be done immediately but allow up to 2 hours since, in some cases, not enough descriptive info is available right away. They do NOT allow their participants to wait 24 hours or any other amount of time. IF a state, municipality or department does not comply with this they may be subject to disciplinary action by NCIC. So for future reference, if anyone has to report someone missing and is told they have to wait tell them NO. NCIC requires the entry to be made immediately, and don't back down!

how can i make sure she is on there?

Robmom
05-27-2008, 07:43 AM
I live in Brooklyn not too far from there. If you need any help, please let me know.

matdrew
05-27-2008, 07:49 AM
I live in Brooklyn not too far from there. If you need any help, please let me know.

thanks I will let you know. We are hoping today is the day.we figure if she indeed left by her own free will everyone will be back on their regular schedule and she also has school. hopefully hopefully. we are really hoping the info yesterday was accurate. I am more doubtful then the family beacuse i have seen a shows on tv where the test the eye witness accuracy and they have someone come in and pretent to rob someone etc and most of the eye witness can't decribe the person or describe the wrong person.

Bren's Mom
05-27-2008, 08:52 AM
Have her parents ask the officer who took the report if their daughter was "entered into NCIC as a missing person". If they are unsure of his answer ask to see the NCIC missing person report printout. If they don't get cooperation they should ask for a supervisor.

Robinrs
05-27-2008, 09:06 AM
This probably should be posted on the Community Board, too, where it will reach more people.

Prayers that this child is found quickly.

I grew up in Brooklyn, btw, man do I miss it!

famofsix
05-27-2008, 11:47 AM
we had some progress gettting her info out. 1010 wins radio station will broadcast it today via our request and we got her on this brookyn ny site http://hellobrooklyn.com/ that gets over 700,000 hits a month. I thought the police would do this because the TV stations said they couldn't do anything for us and that if their is a missing child the police has to request to put it on. I also emailed a brooklyn ny newspaper. I told her mom about the other agencies.Her mom has faith that the police or doing their job. I am way more sceptical. they did not tell us to call anywhere else. we are hoping that if she did leave on her own free will today would be the day she would come back. its raining here in brooklyn and everyone is back to work and school.Her mom and dad are going back to her school to see what they can find out there.

http://hellobrooklyn.com/

I hope they find her soon safe and sound::yes:: I can't imagine the parents heartache. You are a good friend getting the word out!

rockyroad
05-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Still no news on the girl.

I was really hoping that she had been found.

summerrluvv
05-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Can you somehow try to get in contact with CNN and have the story aired on Nancy Grace? There are a lot of missing children stories aired on her show all the time. I hope she is found safely soon, I can't imagine the grief her parents are feeling right now :hug:

Dagny
05-27-2008, 12:35 PM
I copied this thread over to the Community Board as well. My prayers go out to the family for a speedy return of their daughter.

mikkishelles
05-27-2008, 01:26 PM
I live in the Bay Ridge/Dyker Heights area. I'll keep a lookout and get the word out around here, too!

famofsix
05-27-2008, 01:40 PM
I copied this thread over to the Community Board as well. My prayers go out to the family for a speedy return of their daughter.

thank you:thumbsup2 She likely needs all the media exposure she can get to get her home safely.

Microcell
05-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Praying for all of you! Hopefully she will be home soon.:hug:

hematite153
05-27-2008, 05:02 PM
how can i make sure she is on there?

I called NCMEC (yesterday) and they said that they had an entry for her, but, that they were still trying to get a photo.

If you'd like to follow-up their number is 1-800-THE-LOST.

Savsmommy
05-27-2008, 05:34 PM
Any news? I sure hope she's safe and found soon. I can't even imagine what the family is going through.

matdrew
05-27-2008, 07:23 PM
I called NCMEC (yesterday) and they said that they had an entry for her, but, that they were still trying to get a photo.

If you'd like to follow-up their number is 1-800-THE-LOST.

I was actually on the phone trying tO update the file with a pic and i got a brief call from her mom saying she has been found and is at the hospital. She thinks she is ok. I wil follow up more later. thank everyone for all the tips.

If the police was s helpful as youn guys she might have been found days ago.

The gentleman i was just on the phone with Mr cruz from 1800 the lost was very nice and helpful. I hope no one ever needs them but i wished i would have called right away. he did say that they had emailed the dad but with everything going on dad was not online at all. I wish the police would have told the family and friends we would have followed up right away. anyway thank god she has been found

disneybound31
05-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Praise God. Let us know how she is and what in the world happened to her?! I hope she recovers quickly and with little emotional hardship. This has to have been a terrible ordeal for her as well as the family.

Plantlady
05-27-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm glad she was found!

I hope she's ok.

java
05-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Oh thank goodness!!
Please keep us posted.

Isi
05-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Glad to hear she has been found..

hematite153
05-27-2008, 08:50 PM
she has been found ... She thinks she is ok.

... 1800 the lost was very nice and helpful. I hope no one ever needs them but i wished i would have called right away. ... I wish the police would have told the family and friends we would have followed up right away.

I'm sorry that you've felt the police were not reacting in the way you wished.

However, I feel the need to point out that the reason NCMEC already had a listing for her was that the police reported her to them. The fact that they had a listing and were trying to get information shows that they were trying to help.

I'm really glad that she has been found!

matdrew
05-27-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm sorry that you've felt the police were not reacting in the way you wished.

However, I feel the need to point out that the reason NCMEC already had a listing for her was that the police reported her to them. The fact that they had a listing and were trying to get information shows that they were trying to help.

I'm really glad that she has been found!
you are right I guess when someone you love is missing you never feel anyone is doing enough but the police did find her so we do appreciate their efforts.

B rittany will stay overnight at the hospital for tests

MrsR
05-27-2008, 09:20 PM
glad she is ok!

stars75238
05-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Thank goodness! I've been checking back constantly!

Robmom
05-28-2008, 07:14 AM
I'm so glad to find out that she is found.

famofsix
05-28-2008, 07:22 AM
I was actually on the phone trying tO update the file with a pic and i got a brief call from her mom saying she has been found and is at the hospital. She thinks she is ok. I wil follow up more later. thank everyone for all the tips.

The gentleman i was just on the phone with Mr cruz from 1800 the lost was very nice and helpful. I hope no one ever needs them but i wished i would have called right away. he did say that they had emailed the dad but with everything going on dad was not online at all. I wish the police would have told the family and friends we would have followed up right away. anyway thank god she has been found

Thank God she was found. It sounds like more prayers for her would be appropriate:worried:
I think you're right when something like this happens and you feel helpless no one can really be fast enough. :hug:

accruise
05-28-2008, 07:40 AM
This is what was in the paper but there was no update as to finding her.
What a nightmare for her family. So glad she was found.

Police were searching last night for a 14-year-old Brooklyn girl who was reported missing after she did not come home from school on Tuesday. The girl, Hanna Nahari, was last heard from at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday when she called home after school, the police said. Her father was unable to give her a ride home because the family car was not working, and she said she would walk. The school is about seven blocks from the family's home in Borough Park, said Ms. Nahari's brother, Zak Nahari, last night. ''I couldn't sleep last night,'' he added. ''My mother, she is going crazy.''
Robert F. Worth (NYT)

DianeV
05-28-2008, 08:16 AM
This is a different girl....

accruise
05-28-2008, 08:29 AM
Sorry for not realize that.
I craigslist the post has been flagged. I hope that everything works out for the best.

calypso*a*go-go
05-28-2008, 10:38 AM
OP -- Can you please edit your title to indicate the child has been found.

stars75238
05-28-2008, 03:33 PM
and how can we make sure we never go through this nightmare with our own?

hematite153
05-28-2008, 08:19 PM
I hope she's doing okay...and that the second missing 14 year old is also found soon.

accruise
05-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Does anyone know what happened to this child. Where was she? They said she is in the hospital. How is she doing.?

Robmom
05-29-2008, 01:10 PM
I heard from my PTA that she possibly ran away and had some recent behavior problems. But I could be wrong, so I guess we have to wait for the OP to respond.

accruise
05-29-2008, 01:19 PM
I thank you for the info. I can imagine many people would like to know to protect their own chlidren...
I am surprised that the original poster has not responded.

famofsix
05-29-2008, 01:35 PM
I am thinking that finding her was the most important thing and the reason why she was missing is too complicated or may be too personal for the OP to post here to protect the child. I am glad she is found.