PDA

View Full Version : Just joined Bjs wholesale club!!

disneyofcourse
05-26-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm so excited! I've got lots of questions to. Are some things in there that are actually more expensive than buying at say walmart or target? I'm wondering what is actually a good deal. I only went in for a moment to sign up and walk around. Theres just so much stuff in there! I mostly got the card to save on gas since they have the cheapest station around. But if its going to help me with my grocery bill to, why not use it.

Mom2m&k
05-26-2008, 06:18 PM
I shop at BJ's. I find that if I can use a coupon it is usually a better deal then other places. Always check their front display because they will have additional coupons there. I usually buy diapers, cleaning supplies, meat and some frozen and dry goods there....sounds like mostly everything! Have fun. Be careful I rarely get out of there for under $150!

Perditamarie
05-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Yes..they have good coupons, mail you coupons and accept manufacturer coupons too. I buy milk, eggs, yogurt, bananas, strawberrys, cereal and all kinds of other stuff. Right now, laundry detergent is reduced due to packaging changes.

jojo0612
05-26-2008, 06:40 PM
Yes..they have good coupons, mail you coupons and accept manufacturer coupons too. I buy milk, eggs, yogurt, bananas, strawberrys, cereal and all kinds of other stuff. Right now, laundry detergent is reduced due to packaging changes.

Can I ask what kind of detergent? I was there twice this weekend and wish I would have saw this! :bitelip:

Pigeon
05-26-2008, 07:15 PM
It's like any other shopping--you have to know what the prices are in the other places you shop in order to compare. Since sizes are quite different in warehouse clubs, you need to know unit prices. Many things are much more expensive at BJs and other things are great buys. What's a good deal will depend on where you live and where you normally shop.

For me, the dog food is a deal, as are dried mushrooms, yeast, soy sauce and a handfull of other things. But most things are not, even though I really want them to be. :rotfl:

Shelly F - Ohio
05-26-2008, 07:18 PM
We love to shop there. I priced kitty litter at Walmart and the price was $12 for 28lbs..BJS was $12 for 40 lbs. The charmin toilet paper is a great buy compared to other stores. I love it when they send me coupons for $2.00 off force flex trash bags. The bags are a very value at BJs. Scotts lawn fertilizer and weed control was the same price as Lowes however you got 3,000 sf more of the product at BJS. We also spray our lawn with Cutter mosquito repellent. Target & Walmart price was $9.95 for one bottle. BJS price was $14.00 for 2 bottles. Shampoo (head and shoulders) is cheaper at BJS as is Tylenol, shaving cream.

When I renewed our membership a few months ago I also did some shopping. With the instant savings offers on the products I bought and my coupons my receipt showed I had saved enough during that shopping trip to almost pay for my membership. And that was right after the renewal so I still had 12 months of savings ahead of me so I know it is worth it to have the membership.
Not too mention they often have their gas prices cheaper than other stations. Sometimes it is ten cents cheaper.

summerrluvv
05-26-2008, 07:20 PM
I get a lot of stuff there. Diapers, wipes, bread, cold cuts, chicken nuggets, Beechnut baby food..those are the best deals for me. I use coupons and that brings the price down a bit. Some things I find to be higher than what I would pay at Target or Walmart's regular stores (not grocery stores).

Perditamarie
05-26-2008, 07:52 PM
Can I ask what kind of detergent? I was there twice this weekend and wish I would have saw this! :bitelip:

I just stocked up on All and just noticed the Wisk is reduced. I'm thinking the Gain and Era may be soon to follow. It doesn't go bad and there is always laundry!!!

Cindy B
05-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Contacts prices are really cheap as well. DS's contacts were $79 at the optical store, but only $39 at BJ's.

christa112
05-26-2008, 08:22 PM
We also shop at BJ's and have been for almost 5 yrs now. We saved tons on diapers when kids were babies, as well as formula. We usually shop there once a month, we use to go every week. We don't usually walk out of there under $150.00.

The great thing about BJ's is if you have a package of toothpaste that have 4 tubes in it, you can use 4 coupons on that one package!!!! If you have a coupon that say a $1.00 of 2, you can you 2 coupons for that item. Sometimes I walk out of there save around $20-30 just in coupons!!!

luvmy3
05-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Don't forget you can use a BJ's coupon with a manufacturer coupon too, even though the BJ's say "manufacturer" on them :thumbsup2

Dancemom03
05-27-2008, 12:16 AM
We use it for gas too - and car tires. I love the bakery items - sliced cheesecakes and the ready to bake large cookies especially.
I've gotten good deals on eyeglasses and even car rentals using their codes & coupons too .

You do have to compare prices to be sure it's really a deal though, and I agree with PP who said it's hard to get out of there without spending $150. Even if I go in for just a few things, by the time I come out, I've surprised myself with the total cost after all those unplanned added "bargains"...

npmommie
05-27-2008, 12:32 AM
We shop Bj's too.......i am due to renew my membership next trip. i am thinking of upgrading to the one that earns cash back, anyone have this type? I am just wondering if its worth the $80, i probably spend at least 200 a month at bj's prob more.

Aliceacc
05-27-2008, 05:03 AM
Well,if you're planning a trip to WDW this summer, they have Misty Mate Misters at 3/$15 :)

I've always done well with cleaning products there. If you have a child in diapers, their house brand compares favorably to Huggies.

Their sheet cakes are WONDERFUL-- not too sweet and $19.99 for a half sheet! (I got one for my daughter's Communion last week and it got rave reviews.)

I always pick up a 4 pack of their butter too, for about the price of a single pound in the supermarket.

And somehow I always manage to spend between $200 and $300 each time I go.

Cindy B
05-27-2008, 05:16 AM
I'm one of the weird ones that only buys $50=100 worth of things and it lasts two weeks...

The liquor prices are cheaper here than anywhere else. I don't have much luck in the coupons department there. I have also found that they run out of advertised specials quickly. If an item is buy one get one free, that item will be out of stock for about 2 months.

I can find milk cheaper at Wegmans. Cereal, lunchmeat, some snacks are consistently cheaper. Right now coffee is cheaper at BJ's. You do need to do unit price because that will show you that you are getting the best deal. However, make sure the unit price shows the same amount-for example in two products one unit price may be measured in quarts and the other in per 100 serving... you need to check those carefully.

I have found that bread can be bought cheaper at other stores than BJ's.

LorieR
05-27-2008, 05:30 AM
I can get two loaves of bread for just about the price I pay for one at local supermarlkets. Milk is cheaper, eggs are cheaper, cold cuts are cheaper. I but romaine hearts, tomatoes, celery, and potatoes regularly. Oranges and apples seasonally. Chop meat is much, much cheaper than supermarkets and better quality. I buy Good Seasons, canned soups, canned ravioli, Trident gum, dog treats, bottled water, etc. at much lower prices. DH and I have been members for more years than I would like to remember! :) Not all of our BJ's sell gas but the last time I went to one a few weeks ago it was about $.08 cheaper a gallon.

KarenAylwood
05-27-2008, 06:05 AM
My parents have been BJ's members since it was only for business owners and continue to use their membership often! I know that they buy paper towels, toilet paper (for home & my dad's business) and cat food there. I'm not sure about anything else because I know that it's not very convenient in terms of location for them.

I just got a membership late last fall because I needed new tires on my car. Only spent ~$400 with a $60 off coupon and got an 80,000 mile guarantee on Michelins (great deal).

I live in an apartment so we do NOT have much room for bulk. Therefore I can't take advantage as much as I'd like, but still go once a month for food and go regularly for gas. Gas is ~10 cents cheaper. I've seen it better and worse than that, but it's pretty much always cheaper.

I buy milk, laughing cow cheese (normally $5/1 at my local store, BJ's has $8/3), bulk containers of yoplait light yogurt, lunchmeat, natural peanut butter and perdue chicken. I have a raw chicken phobia and BJ's sells 12 breasts in a container already packaged into 2 breast plastic pouches. Since it's just DBF and I- they are PERFECT for meals. The exact size we need when making a recipe, and they are already packaged for freezing.

I also sometimes get razor refills, men's deodorant and mens/womens shave gel. When I got laser eye surgery in January I had to buy lots of Refresh drops. Most places have them $13 for a box of 30. BJ's has $17 for a box of 100!! I made up more than my membership fee right there because I had to buy 3 boxes.

I love BJ's and will be a lifelong member. I can't wait until I can move into a house and start buying other things in bulk. Right now we just don't have the room.

cinderellamom123
05-27-2008, 06:07 AM
Here is Massachusetts, sometimes you can use multiple coupons for each item. For example, say you buy a three pack of toothpaste. The package consists of three tubes each in a separate box but with shrink wrap around it all of them so it is in one big package. The rule is that if you could sell each of these tubes individually, you could use three separate coupons. Many of the bjs workers don't even know this. I often have to call over a manager. So just to reiterate, if you open the big package and inside there are several smaller ones each packaged individually like in their kleenex, toliet paper, butter etc. you can use more than one coupon!

Cindy B
05-27-2008, 06:13 AM
I can get two loaves of bread for just about the price I pay for one at local supermarlkets. Milk is cheaper, eggs are cheaper, cold cuts are cheaper. I but romaine hearts, tomatoes, celery, and potatoes regularly. Oranges and apples seasonally. Chop meat is much, much cheaper than supermarkets and better quality. I buy Good Seasons, canned soups, canned ravioli, Trident gum, dog treats, bottled water, etc. at much lower prices. DH and I have been members for more years than I would like to remember! :) Not all of our BJ's sell gas but the last time I went to one a few weeks ago it was about $.08 cheaper a gallon.

I guess my local BJ's is in competition with local grocery stores: Shoprite, Acme and Wegmans and a produce store which does not help BJ's prices

Wegmans has cheaper milk (still less than $3!)
Shoprite has cheaper bread
Shoprite has cheaper eggs

Bottled water 35 pack is cheaper at BJ's by 12 cents. Wegmans and Shoprite has the same price for a 24 pack.

Meat is cheaper at Shoprite than BJ's.
However, seafood is cheaper at BJ's than the three grocery stores. In the same town there is a fish market, which is cheaper than all the stores combined.

Liquor prices are best at BJ's.
Bananas are the same price at BJ's than produce store

On the whole, I find BJ's produce prices outrageous. I guess because the produce store is right up the road (not even a mile)

I have to really watch the prices and unit prices because I feel that I am getting some deals and some I am not.

cinmell
05-27-2008, 06:21 AM
I buy Tide, Bounce, Downy, Magic Erasers, dishwasher soap, soap, diapers, wipes, purdue chicken, cheerios, goldfish and Scott Toilet paper only at Bj's. The soy milk my one year old drinks is much cheaper at BJ's than at the supermarket. The eggs are also cheaper. Around the holidays, I buy the ingredients for cookies there too b/c I use more of the sugar, flour, etc. I've also found cheese to be cheaper there too.

I prefer BJ's to Costco b/c BJ's has more items that I buy. You can also use BJ's coupons and manufacturer coupons for the same items which is a pretty big savings on things like Pampers.

christa112
05-27-2008, 06:57 AM
That is the membership we have. It is defintely worth it. It pretty much pays for itself.

We shop Bj's too.......i am due to renew my membership next trip. i am thinking of upgrading to the one that earns cash back, anyone have this type? I am just wondering if its worth the $80, i probably spend at least 200 a month at bj's prob more.

MissMichelle
05-27-2008, 07:25 AM
I have posted before that I may be biased since I am a customer service manager at our BJ's and have been with them since they opened this store almost 5 years ago, but I buy quite a few items there. Paper products are #1. We also have great "rebate" sales as unless an item is discontinued we don't have actual sales. But when an item has a rebate (instant or mail in) it is usually a significant amount. Pair that with a manufacturer coupon and often a BJ's coupon and you get a steal. You HAVE to know your prices in order for most things to be a bargain but BJ's is reducing a lot of their packaging sizes to accomodate small familes/singles so that is a new bonus.
Anyone who is ever in the area stop by and say HI! :)

mountdew1
05-27-2008, 07:40 AM
New tires alone will usually help pay for a serious dent in the membership. The free lifetime balancing/rotation is nice. My fiancee just got hers tires rotated at a tire shop, (Not BJ's bought tires) and was charged 30 bucks for the rotation/balancing. That's almost the renewal cost.

jmsaj
05-27-2008, 08:18 AM
Here is Massachusetts, sometimes you can use multiple coupons for each item. For example, say you buy a three pack of toothpaste. The package consists of three tubes each in a separate box but with shrink wrap around it all of them so it is in one big package. The rule is that if you could sell each of these tubes individually, you could use three separate coupons. Many of the bjs workers don't even know this. I often have to call over a manager. So just to reiterate, if you open the big package and inside there are several smaller ones each packaged individually like in their kleenex, toliet paper, butter etc. you can use more than one coupon!

Just went last week. Purchased the 12 pack of Dove soap and tried to use multiple coupons (save on package of 6). It would not take the coupons; the clerk came over and told me that BJ's has stopped that policy because they and the manufacturer lost too much money. Have you been recently? and if so, maybe the clerk was wrong. Thanks!!

LorieR
05-27-2008, 08:29 AM
I have the reguar BJ's master card with no annual fee. I use that for BJ's purchases; I believe it is 1.5% back on purchases at BJ's. When I reach $20 they include a check with my statement (they used to mail them separately but just changed it recently - I almost shredded my check:scared1: ). The check is payable to BJ's and I present it at the register the next time I shop!

*KeepMovingForward*
05-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Another good deal with BJ's is if you have the Executive Membership so that you get checks for cash back based on your spending. They used to send the checks out once a year, but now we get checks every six months. We buy a lot for our home and business, so those cash back checks are really nice. ::yes::

MissMichelle
05-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Just went last week. Purchased the 12 pack of Dove soap and tried to use multiple coupons (save on package of 6). It would not take the coupons; the clerk came over and told me that BJ's has stopped that policy because they and the manufacturer lost too much money. Have you been recently? and if so, maybe the clerk was wrong. Thanks!!

this ONLY works if the item has more then 1 barcode. For example, as another poster mentioned you can break apart the toothpaste because they are all individual boxes like you'd buy in the supermarket. Stores can resell them so we take multiple coupons on the item. If the soap was a large box of 12 but the bars we all in 1 box then they can't take more then 1 coupon.
Hope I am clear enough. Any questions just ask :)

marcyinPA
05-27-2008, 10:12 AM
I shop BJ's every month or so. I buy my Cascade, laundry soap (whichever is cheapest!), batteries, Ocean Spray cranberry juice (this is SO much cheaper at BJ's than it is in the store!!), toothpaste, Pantene hairspray, etc.

Their lunchmeat is a lot less expensive and the Wellesly Farms brand is very good. I like their turkey breast...it's the nice, dry turkey. Not that disgusting slimy stuff!:eek:

npmommie
05-27-2008, 12:22 PM
I have the reguar BJ's master card with no annual fee. I use that for BJ's purchases; I believe it is 1.5% back on purchases at BJ's. When I reach $20 they include a check with my statement (they used to mail them separately but just changed it recently - I almost shredded my check:scared1: ). The check is payable to BJ's and I present it at the register the next time I shop!

So i could have the regular $45 membership and get cash back this way at BJ's..........i am looking for a way to make the membership fee close to zero! as in cash back!

beccasmom
05-27-2008, 01:37 PM
We have a membership deal where I work where we get a yearly membership for $35/year and have 3 additional months added, so it is a great deal. And we live only 2 miles or so from our BJs, so it is very convenient. You do need to know your prices. And I have to bring someone brawnier than me when I purchase water or other beverages. :hug: I have never tried Costco...there are none close to us anyway....but I did shop at Sam's Club when I was visiting family in Pittsburgh and really was impressed. The closest one to us is in the city and the sales tax is higher than the 'burbs. We do not have a Super Wal-Mart close by either, unfortunately. Our BJs does sell tires, but no gas.

rockin_rep
05-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Contacts prices are really cheap as well. DS's contacts were $79 at the optical store, but only $39 at BJ's.

Wow, thats quite a savings! Do you mind me asking what brands they carry? TIA!

DMickey28
05-27-2008, 02:37 PM
I tried to use two coupons this weekend but I think I screwed up and there were people behind me. I bought DH's deoderant, a 4 pack and had two $1 off 2 coupons. I used one but then tried to use the other one and it was already past that screen! Oh well .. it was just under $7 for 4 rather than $7+ for two at Target or Walmart. Much better deal.

I buy Tide sometimes, unless I can get a better deal at CVS with ECB's. I buy the big jug of Dawn and fill up my small one. I get trash bags. I buy cat litter and water cases. Spareribs, a whole pork and tenderlion are much cheaper if you have the room to split it up and freeze it. I buy bacon there as well, cheaper and good. Butter, Organic milk if I don't have a $1 coupon for Walmart.

I love BJ's. We are moving in a few weeks and I am desperately trying to use up the food in the freezer so I can defrost it when we move and start from scratch!! I can't wait to go on a HUGE BJ's shopping spree!!

Cindy B
05-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Wow, thats quite a savings! Do you mind me asking what brands they carry? TIA!

I know they had Acuvue, but my son doesn't use those.

My son uses the Ultraflex brand.

rockin_rep
05-27-2008, 03:45 PM
I know they had Acuvue, but my son doesn't use those.

Cool, thats what we use! Do you know if they're in stock, or do they have to be ordered?

We have a guest pass that i've been meaning to use, so this might be a great time to use it!

Cindy B
05-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Cool, thats what we use! Do you know if they're in stock, or do they have to be ordered?

We have a guest pass that i've been meaning to use, so this might be a great time to use it!

I don't know if it helps, but I saw a huge glass case of acuvue's in our club. FWIW, it only took 3 days to get DS's contacts.

Go in with either a new RX or an original box. That way you can be sure that all the numbers are keyed in correctly.

CTdiznymom
05-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Clark Howard did a segment on warehouse shopping today on Rachel Ray's show. This is from the shows website:

Do you get overwhelmed when you're shopping at a warehouse club, buy things you don't even need or wonder if you really got such a great deal? Kristan Cunningham and warehouse specialist Clark Howard share tips on how to best negotiate the popular warehouse clubs … you'll never shop the same way again!

Look for the codes. Knowing the warehouse clubs' secret pricing structures will help you make sure you’re getting the rock-bottom price. According to Clark, at Sam's Club, if there’s a "C" on the price tag, the item has been discontinued and if the item's price ends with a penny, it's been marked down. At Costco, look for an asterisk for discontinued goods and anything that ends with 97 cents for markdowns.

Buy private label items. Warehouse clubs' own private label products are sold at great prices. Clark's advice: Look out for Member's Mark at Sam's Club, Kirkland Signature at Costco, and the Berkeley and Jensen labels at BJ's.

Test it out! When it comes to beds, for example, Clark says, "You can't buy a bed without testing it!" So pull down the mattresses and test them out to make sure you're going to get a good night's sleep before you make your purchase.

Be careful with electronics. Warehouse clubs can give you a better return policy on TVs than electronics stores but you won't always get the best price. Clark explains that electronics stores may offer lower prices because unlike warehouse clubs, they tend to make more money on the warranties they sell you and not on the actual product.

Shop for just about anything. Everyone knows warehouse clubs sell paper towels, toilet paper and big jars of food, but keep in mind the variety of other goods as well: You can get gas for your car, a new couch, and even an engagement ring! And don't forget warehouse clubs' excellent prices for pharmaceutical products.

Go on an empty stomach! Warehouse clubs always have yummy food samples and great prices for a quick lunch or snack. Be sure to get your drink before you shop to take advantage of free refills!

Split a membership for cost-saving. You can share on both membership dues and the well-priced, super-sized items even if you don't have the extra storage space. If you are tight on room, pair up and share with a friend or neighbor so that you both can enjoy savings on multi-pack items.

And, don't forget Clark's number one tip:

Don't get a cart! What do you do if you get a shopping cart? You fill it! Shopping carts can lead to impulse buying. "I walk around with stuff in my arms," Clark says. "As I get tired I say, 'Do I really need that?'" Clark says it'll save you a fortune!

npmommie
05-28-2008, 12:15 AM
And, don't forget Clark's number one tip:

Don't get a cart! What do you do if you get a shopping cart? You fill it! Shopping carts can lead to impulse buying. "I walk around with stuff in my arms," Clark says. "As I get tired I say, 'Do I really need that?'" Clark says it'll save you a fortune!

LOL he had me til this part!!! I have to get a cart, otherwise I will have wasted my time going there! BJ's is 30 min away, so I go once a month and I stock up for the month.......I usually spend $300.........but that is my big shopping for the month.........then I just get whatever is needed in between, like fresh veggies.

I agree about the private label brands, the berkely and jensen stuff is good:thumbsup2

GJM
05-28-2008, 08:42 AM
How can you not get a cart! I buy water at Costco and can't imagine carrying that around the store!

I know what I am getting and never impulse shop in the store.

I miss BJ's since moving to SC we don't have one here - but the Berkely & Jensen stuff is good! I love the ziplock bags! I miss the deli counter at BJ's.

*KeepMovingForward*
05-28-2008, 09:10 AM
How can you not get a cart! I buy water at Costco and can't imagine carrying that around the store!

I agree. I'd be at the chiropractor all the time if I didn't get a cart. I just think of lugging cases of water and my 180 load box of Tide around and well...I'd be huffing and puffing just to make it to the register with that. I think as long as you have self control when shopping your okay.

CTdiznymom
05-28-2008, 10:38 AM
LOL, I have to agree-you gotta get a cart! I think he was inferring to the people who run in for something specific, and end up with a cart full. I know I compile a big list before I even set foot in the store.

I also have a tip: If you or your spouse have a business of any kind, get a business membership and you can add family and friends to it at a considerable membership discount. Check the requirements as I did this awhile ago. My DH is an acct. so we brought in his business card and set up a business membership, and added 2-3 people on it. Whatever the fee is, we split it, and everyone went down and got their own cards. They renew them on their own as long as my DH renews his master membership first.

jdes88
05-28-2008, 11:01 AM
I can find cheaper cereal at Wegmans too! :bitelip:

BJ's has GREAT frozen sirlon burgers---YUM!! They are wonderful and taste like restuarant hamburgers! Also, their deli meat is awesome! $4.99 for a pound of WONDERFUL maple ham! And I always buy my cat food and litter there!! Way cheap---I get the BJ's brand of cat litter (awesome stuff) and Purina cat food!

One more great thing----if you have a BJ's coupon you can also use a manufacture's coupon too! Great savings that way!:cutie:

luvsgrumpy
05-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Okay, a couple of newbie questions here (I've only been to BJ's a couple of times with other people):

Where do you get the BJ's coupons?
Do they have ads or circulars? How do you know what to buy or does it take a few trips to get an idea of prices, etc?

Glad for all the tips, I do fairly well at the grocery store using coupons/sales/ads but using more than one coupon on a multi pack and doubling up BJ's coupons with manufacturers sound good. I think I have a free 60 day trial membership I might use and take advantage of the gas too.

*KeepMovingForward*
05-28-2008, 01:05 PM
Okay, a couple of newbie questions here (I've only been to BJ's a couple of times with other people):

Do they have ads or circulars? How do you know what to buy or does it take a few trips to get an idea of prices, etc?

They have coupon sheets at the store and then they also periodically send coupon books through the mail to members.

MissMichelle
05-29-2008, 08:06 AM

Glad for all the tips, I do fairly well at the grocery store using coupons/sales/ads but using more than one coupon on a multi pack and doubling up BJ's coupons with manufacturers sound good. I think I have a free 60 day trial membership I might use and take advantage of the gas too.

Go to the member services desk and askf or coupons. They will usually have a bunch there and also direct you to places in the store that has more.
Members get special mailings with awesome coupons that aren't available in store so that is another bonus.

Anyone debating on whether they want a membership, right now they are running a promo on their membership.
$45 for 14 months rather then 12
a $10 merchandise coupon to use on any purchase of $10 or more
A sign up and save coupon book with free items (YUP FREE!!!)
a second household card for free
AND there is a 90 money back guarantee if you aren't satisfied with BJ's.

Just a heads up ;)

ZPT1022
05-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Go to the member services desk and askf or coupons. They will usually have a bunch there and also direct you to places in the store that has more.
Members get special mailings with awesome coupons that aren't available in store so that is another bonus.

Anyone debating on whether they want a membership, right now they are running a promo on their membership.
$45 for 14 months rather then 12
a $10 merchandise coupon to use on any purchase of $10 or more
A sign up and save coupon book with free items (YUP FREE!!!)
a second household card for free
AND there is a 90 money back guarantee if you aren't satisfied with BJ's.

Just a heads up ;)

:thumbsup2 Thanks. We've been on the fence about joining but this sounds great. I have three kids plus I watch my cousin's three kids so needless to say we go through lots of food and supplies (tp, kleenex, soap, etc....)

Do you know if the coupon book that is part of the membership promo is the same as the other coupons they are giving out or can I double up?

npmommie
05-29-2008, 01:08 PM
:thumbsup2 Thanks. We've been on the fence about joining but this sounds great. I have three kids plus I watch my cousin's three kids so needless to say we go through lots of food and supplies (tp, kleenex, soap, etc....)

Do you know if the coupon book that is part of the membership promo is the same as the other coupons they are giving out or can I double up?

once you have a membership you can also print the coupons out from their website. the same ones that come in the mail in a booklet.

MissMichelle
05-29-2008, 10:33 PM

The sign up and save book is for NEW members only...nobody else can get their hands on them---not even employees. You can double up coupons with these...I know they had some that were $10 off excedrin (due to expire this week) making the MASSIVE bottle only $3.99! Buy 1 Get 1 free pillows, free onions (no purchase necessary) and more..
Anyway a new book is being released June 1st and I can't wait to see it and see what new members are getting. I am almost jealous! LOL
I'll report back here when I find out. I say try out the membership for the 90 days and take advantage of all it has to offer and then if you aren't satisfied (after using the coupons and membership for 90 days) then get a refund. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much you like BJ's.

tinytink
05-29-2008, 10:54 PM
BJ's is always sending us flyers for No-Risk Membership offers good for a 60day membership. It does not have the 5% service fee anymore either, I have two of them sitting on my desk right now. I just use my company's membership when I need something for work I put up a few thing for myself but I charge it to my personal cc vs. the company one.

Eastcoastvisitor
06-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Costco and Sams Clubs sell 24 roses for about the same price, does BJs offer anything different in their Floral Department. What is their price for Roses and how manny do you get?

*KeepMovingForward*
06-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Costco and Sams Clubs sell 24 roses for about the same price, does BJs offer anything different in their Floral Department. What is their price for Roses and how manny do you get?

For roses only, I think they are the same count and a few dollars cheaper, but honestly I think Costco has nicer bouquets in general.

Dancemom03
06-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Gas at BJ's last week was 3.86 while gas at nearby stations was at 3.93. I've never seen that much of a difference before in the gas prices around here.

Anybody seen the new coupon book, by chance? If so, what's in it? We expired a few months ago and I've been shopping with SIL cause she has the rebate back type membership.
Maybe I should sign up fresh though if the coupons are good ones...

MissMichelle
06-09-2008, 06:17 PM

The 24 roses at our BJ's and I am sure most if not all are $14.99. They are usually gorgeous and we sell so many bouquets a day! You have to get there when a shipment is just put out but they seem to last a good amount of time.

nbodyhome
06-09-2008, 09:05 PM
I re-joined BJ's recently (when I found one was nearly right around the corner from here). I love going there! I am a member of BJ's and Costco, and it's very much worth it. Sometimes they have great clothing deals as well. I recently bought an 80 pack of Electrasol tabs for around $4.00 with their rebate and coupon.

brymolmom
06-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Does anyone know if that 14 month deal is still going on in June? I need to re-join.

I am a Wegmans shopper, but find the following a better deal at BJ's:
Ragu Pasta Sauce (3 pack - especially when I have a dollar off coupon)
B&J liquid soap
Sun Chips - Pick 2 pack
Goodnights pull-ups - (they often have BJ's coupon for $3.00 off)
Mandarin oranges in cans (can't remember which brand, but a major one)
Toothpaste
Trix type kids' yogurt (check the dates to be sure you will eat it all in time)
Battery operated toothbrushes - kids theme - 3 pack is 9.99 and individually at many stores they are $4.50 - $5.50 each.
GUM! - Many different brands - MUCH better deal in bulk
individually wrapped anything - I know - this isn't a 'budget' item since they're individual, however, when you need to bring snacks to your kids' sports events - you need individual. You can get a 36 pack of Cheese-its for just over $7.00 - since there are only 12 kids on the team - this lasts for 2 snack nights - so it is only 3.60 or so per night.

For all you 'newbies' - you have to leave the kids at home and take 2 hours to go through the store with a notepad - write down the unit price for all your 'usual' things. Then walk through your supermarket and do the same. Makes the 'which is a better deal' thing easy. Put in your time and it will be worth the effort!

shelly3girls
06-09-2008, 09:40 PM
I just went to BJs yesterday. I normally shop at Sam's but I forgot they closed at 6pm on Sundays. I headed over to BJs since I usually like to shop on Sunday evenings in the summer. My neighbor was with me. We split a membership for the cost of $45+tax for the 14 month membership. After the $10 off coupon and other coupons we received (saved another $11 and got a free head of lettuce), for $12 each we now have a membership.

The biggest savings I saw was for some types of cleaning products, peanut butter, produce (much cheaper than our Sam's club), meats and deli items. These items were significantly cheaper than what I pay at the grocery store and many other items were slightly cheaper.

SLDL
06-09-2008, 10:36 PM
The sign up and save book is for NEW members only...nobody else can get their hands on them---not even employees. You can double up coupons with these...I know they had some that were $10 off excedrin (due to expire this week) making the MASSIVE bottle only $3.99! Buy 1 Get 1 free pillows, free onions (no purchase necessary) and more..
Anyway a new book is being released June 1st and I can't wait to see it and see what new members are getting. I am almost jealous! LOL
I'll report back here when I find out. I say try out the membership for the 90 days and take advantage of all it has to offer and then if you aren't satisfied (after using the coupons and membership for 90 days) then get a refund. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much you like BJ's.

Which coupon book are you referring to? Is it something mailed to you or given when you sign up in the store? I rec'd one when I joined last week but they were for mostly odd things I don't use. I just wondered if I can expect to receive something in the mail.

*KeepMovingForward*
06-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Did anyone else get their July coupon book from BJ's? I just received mine today. It has a lot of good coupons in it. As usual, the coupons are staggered with a week to week use through July 26th, so I guess we'll be making several trips to take advantage of all the good deals. If your a member and haven't received yours yet, be on the lookout. :thumbsup2

aepecoraro
06-25-2008, 04:03 PM
My parents buy the really big box of Force Flex garbage bags. It comes out to a way better deal then we can get at Wal*mart, Target or even Publix. The big box was cheaper than the box at the above stores and we got more bags.