PDA

View Full Version : More Closures

lrodk
04-29-2001, 09:43 PM
I gathered the following closure info, which is being mostly attributed to budget cuts, from Screamsacape's latest update.

It seems that the pasta/pizza restaurant(next to the Coca Cola Cooling Station) near spaceship earth may have closed down as early as today. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, according to a source, the cast of MGM's Doug Live show has been told that the show will be closing permanantly very soon.

On a good note, the water tank area of the backlot tour in MGM is currently closed and will be re-themed to their upcoming Pearl Harbor film.

toefungus
04-29-2001, 09:58 PM
No loss really with the doug show. It was awful!!

wdhatter
04-30-2001, 12:08 AM
The Doug Show closing rumor is no rumor. In two weeks it'll be so long Doug! So for all you Doug fans out there, you've got two weeks until he's gone. Sorry.

OnWithTheShow
04-30-2001, 02:05 AM
I wish you people would stop bashing Doug Live. I had never seen the TV show but once I saw the Doug Live I became an instant fan of the series. It is the third best show at the Studios in my opinion, behind Fantasmic and Hunchback. Why does everyone hate it?

postman43
04-30-2001, 08:10 AM
I agree with onwiththeshow. The doug show was actually really entertaining. But since he's no longer the newest flavor of the month, he has to go.(Disney rules I guess) I expect the same thing to happen to Bear in the Big Blue House.

Perhaps they will get rid of that horrible drew carey sound thing as well.:earseek:

All Aboard
04-30-2001, 10:05 AM
I had no idea that Doug was closing. Yesterday, on our way out of the Studios (and to the car and home) I took Natalie in to see the show for the first time. Glad I did, she really enjoyed it. Oh well. Wasn't that bad to me. Not a repeater like HoND or Fantasmic, but kind of funny and entertaining.

isnkr
04-30-2001, 11:54 AM
Enough about Doug....what about the Pasta/Pizza place...I enjoy the Pizza there....It's a nice place to grab a quick bite...:earseek:

Buzz and Woody
04-30-2001, 12:55 PM
Just as long as they don't close the coffee/dessert shop next tot he pizz and pasta place I'm just fine.

Can't wait for August.

Amy
04-30-2001, 02:06 PM
Has anyone heard what's going to replace Doug?

wdwguide
04-30-2001, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Amy
Has anyone heard what's going to replace Doug?

nothing for now.

Planogirl
05-04-2001, 12:33 AM
Why would they close the Pasta and Pizza place? (Does any remember the name? ;) ) The Land can get overly crowded and not everyone enjoys the type of food Pure and Simple serves. And don't get me started about the Electric Umbrella. That leaves few places to eat in the Future World area. I wish that they would reopen the Odyssey (sp?) as a full-serve restaurant without characters.

In fact, are there currently any rumors about the future of the Odyssey building?

Panthius
05-04-2001, 08:19 AM
I am not sure what they are going to do with the Odyssey, but they really have to do something. The place is an eye sore. They really have to do something very quick, but it appears this is just another in the long line of closures which has fallen into the, "We will close it and let it sit there forever" mentality going around Disney recently. Either way, something really has to be done about this building.

Panthius

KathyK
05-04-2001, 09:17 AM
It is used extensively during special events at Epcot such as the F&WF and the F&GF. I think that they like having a place that is available for things like cooking seminars, winemaker dinners, grand tastings, and the food among the flowers brunch.

wdwguide
05-04-2001, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Panthius
I am not sure what they are going to do with the Odyssey, but they really have to do something. The place is an eye sore. They really have to do something very quick, but it appears this is just another in the long line of closures which has fallen into the, "We will close it and let it sit there forever" mentality going around Disney recently. Either way, something really has to be done about this building.

Panthius

The Odyssey building is used quite a bit. It is where the Baby Care Center and First Aid are located, and special dining events regularly take place there (like the Food among the Flowers Brunch right now).

Panthius
05-04-2001, 01:01 PM
Ok, so it is being used. I am aware of the baby center and there are also bathrooms on the side by Mexico. This may be the case, but in my opinion, this could use a refurbishment. Just a prettying up of the building and the surrounding area. When I had seen it last, firstly, the birds had made quite a mess all over the building which could be clearly seen from the walkway. Also, it looks like the actual building is closed down and hasn't been used for anything in quite some time when it is not being used. I see this as an issue as one of the key ingredients to Disney's recipe for success is to provide a visually appealling experience. Granted, there are other things I would like to see get done first which I find more important such as the MK 20,000 Leagues lagoon, but I think that building sticks out as just an ordinary (not to mention ugly) building against the rest of Epcot.

Panthius

EpcotMom
05-05-2001, 11:27 PM
Pasta Piazza officially closed down on april 28th. They stated that it was due to low attendance. They are now serving pasta at the land and the mickey pizza's are at Electric Umbrella. The Fountain View which sold the pasteries and coffee is still open

*Glitter Serenity*
05-06-2001, 12:17 PM
Jeez... That's really odd. I was just at Epcot on April 29th and I'm almost certain the Past Piazza was open. Maybe I'm hallucinating, but it sure seemed like it was open. Oh well... They were serving pizzas at the Electric Umbrella, though. (I know, because I ate one... Heehee!)
The Odyssey Center is horrible looking. I was there on a school band competition, leading several of my friends around who had never been to Disney before. (I seriously think I could be a tour guide! That was so much fun...) Anyflip, whenever we were walking over to Mexico, by way of the path next to the Odyssey, they all mentioned how Disney should either get rid of the place or clean the windows. I wanted to argue against what they said because I love Disney so much, but I honestly couldn't. It really did look horrible.
Everything else was great though. I'd never been there during the Flower & Garden Festival, and the place was just gorgeous! I took sooo many pictures!

*Serenity*

EpcotMom
05-07-2001, 09:33 PM
There are plans for a new eatery, but not just yet...Its last day was April 28th. Yes, I'm sure. I work across from it at MouseGear. Odyssey is used for meetings and some cast events...at least until they need the space. The Flower and Garden Festival is a Don't Miss! All the colors and designs....

ContempoSMT
05-08-2001, 04:10 PM
Livingin New jErsey i have had some good pizza....But Pasta Piazza is my favorite pizza in the whole world and will be ubelievably unhappy if they close it.. which i doubt...:(

All Aboard
05-08-2001, 06:04 PM
ContempoSMT, if you think you are still in the Amazon, you are really in Denial. Safari Steve may appreciate that quote.

Seriously, it is currently closed. Forever? Who knows, but it is not open now.

ContempoSMT
05-08-2001, 07:37 PM
why would he like that quote..? huh... Yeah the pizza is good GCurling :o + I Am Not In Denial:cool:

King Triton
05-08-2001, 08:09 PM
I heard that the pizza place will be replaced by a McDonalds. Oh no....say it's not so. When you go to Disneyworld, you do not want to see McDonalds. Disney is putting $$$ ahead of keeping the magic intact. I hope this rumor is wrong.

King Triton

Safari Steve
05-12-2001, 10:19 PM
Pasta Piazza isn't being replaced by McDonalds... I think that's going in at the old "Refreshment Port" between Imagination and Canada (which is currently under heavy construction). I don't like the idea either, but it wouldn't have happened at all if people hadn't bought those *AWFUL* "french fries" that McDonald's sells at the in-park kiosks. There's also a McDonald's at DCA, appropriately named "Burger Invasion".

Another Voice
05-13-2001, 12:56 AM
Sadly, there is a full-blown McDonald's in California Adventure - complete with the golden arches on the 'Burger Invasion' name sign and the same menu boards as in the restuarant down the street (only the prices are different).

Rumors are that its sales are far, far below expectations. But if this is due to the general attendance problem at DCA or the guest's reaction to a McDonalds with Disney pricing has yet to be determined.

luvpooh
05-13-2001, 08:54 PM
Well, on Deb Wills' site, I read that El Pirata y el Perico closed in MK, as well as Mr. Kamal's Burger shop in AK and another bar place (the name escapes me), and the pianist at the Brown Derby's last day was yesterday. This is in addition to the Keelboats, Timekeeper, Pasta and Pizza in Epcot and Doug.

Has anyone else heard this? It seems like an awful lot of closures at once, especially going into the busy season. And on top of all of the reduced hours.....

Neville
05-13-2001, 09:37 PM
I fear these closures are the pre-cursor of things to come. It is unfortunate that management has shut these items down. What level of tolerance does your average Disney-visitor (exclude us Disney nuts) have for waiting in hour long lines (exclude the onetime fast pass) because the park is still at capacity, but operating with less rides? I suspect that they will reconsider dropping several thousand dollars, in these economic conditions, to wait in these lines on their next vacation.

I hope I am wrong, and have heard that present attendance level seem to prove me incorrect. I guess management will continue to take away rides until the guests stop coming....

HorizonsFan
05-13-2001, 11:21 PM
Is there anyone out there who can tell us if the numerous closings (temporary or permanant) this year are out of the ordinary? In other words, is this a unique thing or is it cyclical? Have there been other years in the past where turnover of attractions/restraunts/shops has been as high (or higher) than this year?
And if this year is unique, is it because Eisner is the devil or is it because these attractions/restraunts/shops are in need of refurbishment/replacement?
It seems to me that the Eisner haters are making lists of closures that resemble the lists of magic that Jeff H. was ridiculed for...

EpcotMom
05-13-2001, 11:54 PM
The closings are due to attendance and popularity. Disney does guest service measurements, and does think these things through. Pasta Piazza had a following, but the attendance was low. It did not pay to keep it open. Doug was not well attended of late, and a new show will be in place for the 100 years of magic. It is fashionable to bash the company in general, but the June early closings are for pre-plannedevents, including Grad Nights, E-ticket nights and other events. The Parks are well attended most of the time. There are periods where you can go through any attraction with NO wait. Hour waits are common at peak periods.

All Aboard
05-14-2001, 09:12 AM
ContempoSMT - some clarifications

1) Yes the pizza is (or rather, was) good.

2) You stated that you doubted Pasta Piazza would ever close, it already has, and had by the time you posted.

3) The "denial" line was just a silly joke. One from the Jungle Cruise spiel, hence the Safari Steve reference.

EpcotMom
05-14-2001, 08:31 PM
is still available at Electric Umbrella. So..fans rejoice:cool:

wdwguide
05-14-2001, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by EpcotMom
Doug was not well attended of late, and a new show will be in place for the 100 years of magic.

What would that be? The only things that have been announced for the celebration are the new parades (one of which is just a minor makeover, and two others have been long overdue), the BAH pin stand, the "trivia terminals", and the Walt Disney multimedia attraction, unless I missed something.
If I did, please let me know!