PDA

View Full Version : Is a garage sale worth all the work?

mominwestlake
05-25-2008, 07:57 PM
I have only had 1 garage sale 5 years ago. My dh says he remembers me saying, "never again". My kids were little then and it would have been tough keeping an eye on them and running a garage sale. Now my youngest is 6 and I figure the kids could all help. I have kids clothing size 3T and up- including teen clothing for both girls and boys. I have kids' shoes. I have toys, games, craft kits, and children's books. I have general household items like dishes, framed artwork, vases, etc. I have adult paperbooks. I have some wooden chairs, perhaps a rod iron patio table and 6 chairs.

My questions are:
1. is it worth all the work of pricing items, setting up, renting tables, and running it for a day or two?
2. Thursday is garage sale day around here- do you think July 3rd would be a good or bad day to hold a sale?
3. Should I have it 2 days?

Thanks for any input!

MoniqueU
05-25-2008, 08:06 PM
In our neighborhood it isn't My mom had one at my house before and said never again.

justplaingoofy
05-25-2008, 08:13 PM
we had one last year because we had a bunch of furniture and a ton of other things...

I started going through our attic yeserday making piles...
trash & possible yardsale. I figured once I go through everything and see how big the pile is I will do a quick approx. price. I price things really CHEAP! If I don't think I'll end up with over $100 i'll just give everything to charity.

So to answer your question... I guess it depends what you have to sell:confused:

neatokimmo
05-25-2008, 08:16 PM
I think that just because you have one bad sale doesn't mean the exact same stuff won't fly off the shelves the very next week.

The way I see it, I don't get paid extra for overtime so I can't make more money where I work. If I am able to get $100 for old stuff we don't need (and people give me stuff all the time too) then that puts me just that much closer to retirement! :goodvibes

cnj
05-25-2008, 08:20 PM
We had a garage sale last weekend. It was the second one I have had in 5 years. I had priced my kids used regular everyday clothing for .50 cents each or 3 for $1. My nicer clothes I hung on bungee cords in the garage with color coded ribbon. I ended up selling these for $1, $2, and $3. All of my children's clothes sold. Then I had a .10 cent toy bin and a .50 cent toy bin. I had so many big nice things that I thought I had priced cheaply ($25 for a floormate that I only used twice), ($85 for an eliptical), but none of the big ticket items sold. I ended up making $215 on just junk. So, I do not think I would have another garage sale. I can just donate next time and take the tax write off.

Grumpy'sWife4Ever
05-25-2008, 08:36 PM
It all depends on your neighborhood, and how big an event "garage saling" is in your community....Around our town, garage sales are big deals, and you are guaranteed at least a small return on your investment of nothing but time....

Sometimes I don't feel like pricing everything so I put colored dots on all the small items and hang signs with the "key" all around - yellow dot=25 cents, blue dot= 50 cents, etc. I price only the bigger items, but remember to be flexible on negotiating. It might be better to take $10 for something than have it still sitting there at the end of the sale.

In my experience, kids clothes ALWAYS go, as do lots of toys and other child items are usually big sellers too. And it is weird what does go, usually the things you think are junk excite someone to near ecstasy, while the things you see as treasures sit there without so much as a second glance. Go figure. In the end, you get to clear out some of your closets and make a few bucks.....

As for your kids - I get mine involved in our sales. I let them run their own cookie and lemonade stand, and they can keep the profits that they make. That gets 'em REALLY interested, LOL! :)

bdcp
05-25-2008, 08:39 PM
It is not worth our time. We donate to charity and write it off at the end of the year. If I have something large or valuable I post it on the electronic bulletin board at work before I donate it, but that's as far as I'll go.

Mkaz
05-25-2008, 08:44 PM
I think it depends on a few things.

The area you live in.
The day(s) you want to have your sale
How cheap you are willing to let your items go for.

We had one yesterday and today. We sold about $200 worth of stuff. We sold things like an oak corner shelf for $10, boot box/toy box for $35, and a toy woodstove for $15. These items were solid wood and made by my husband. We didn't get nearly what we had paid in materials for the items, but someting was better than nothing. They were all sitting in the basement getting very damp. We also sold a near new computer desk for $5. We sold a bunch of books for .10 each. I bet we sold 50 to 60 books that were our daughter's.

The only items that I wasn't willing to let go for nothing were my Wilton cake pans, my Mickey Mouse cake pan, and two Princess House items. All I wanted was $3 each for my pans, and $5.50 for my Princess House baking dish, and $3 for a set of PH glasses. Some guy had the nerve to tell me that my Wilton pans (that I have used one time each) were junk! I didn't say a word. I only sold one pan, but I wasn't going to give them away so it's fine.

On the flip side someone bought the Princess House glasses I had yesterday without batting an eye. Today a woman bought the baking dish that I had left. She said that she collects Princess House, and she knows how much that baking dish is worth (it's an older one). She actually gave me $10 and told me to keep it. I wasn't looking to make a killing off of it, but I knew it was worth $$.

We didn't make a killing, but we sure did unload a lot of stuff. :cloud9:

ETA: The one thing that really surprised me was that only a small amount of my son's clothing sold. Most were items from JcPenney and were priced at .50 to $1.00 each. Go figure huh.

disneysteve
05-25-2008, 08:56 PM
I guess it depends on your neighborhood, what you've got to sell and how much you value your time.

We typically make $300-$400 for a garage sale. That's good, but there is a lot of time involved. Making and posting signs, placing ads, starting set-up around 5 am and being out there pretty much non-stop until about 2 pm when we pack up the unsold items and put them away. It is usually close to 4 pm before we're done and ready to hit the shower. So $300 for 11-plus hours work is pretty good in our book, plus it clears out space in the house and garage which is always our goal much more than making money.

*KeepMovingForward*
05-25-2008, 09:04 PM
We did this twice in the past few years and for our area it totally was not worth it. We priced everything extremely cheap and people still were trying to get something for nothing. It was very frustrating and we now just bring all our items to the Salvation Army for donation.

aladams2
05-25-2008, 09:32 PM
We have one every other year. It is a lot of work, but when we got $500 back it was all worth it. We sold my girls clothes only 4 and 5T. Toys, the girls got to pick out which toys they wanted to sell and use that money to buy new summer toys. They were so excited, they bought scooters and baseball equiptment. They even enjoyed hanging out and helping in the garage. They are 4 and 6. It sounds like you have lots of stuff to get rid of and a rummage sale is a great way to do it. IMO

Suz D
05-25-2008, 09:53 PM
We had a garage sale last weekend. It was the second one I have had in 5 years. I had priced my kids used regular everyday clothing for .50 cents each or 3 for $1. My nicer clothes I hung on bungee cords in the garage with color coded ribbon. I ended up selling these for $1, $2, and $3. All of my children's clothes sold. Then I had a .10 cent toy bin and a .50 cent toy bin. I had so many big nice things that I thought I had priced cheaply ($25 for a floormate that I only used twice), ($85 for an eliptical), but none of the big ticket items sold. I ended up making $215 on just junk. So, I do not think I would have another garage sale. I can just donate next time and take the tax write off.

LOVE the color coded ribbon idea! Thanks so much for sharing. Did you just tie the ribbon to the hanger?

CJMickeyMouse
05-25-2008, 09:53 PM
I have participated in my last garage sale. They are just not worth the trouble, IMO. People all want something for a nickel (even if it it priced $5!!) and then they come back to complain if they don't know how to make it work.

Can you tell I am a little bitter? I sold an OAK dining room set - table, leaf and six chairs - for $60. We DELIVERED IT to thier home - two blocks away.

They set it up wrong so the table wobbled. They came back mad and DEMANDED their money back. I went back up there - they had a large washer in the wrong place. I fixed it - and they still acted miffed that they couldn't get it to work.

Keep in mind the table was set up at our sale and they watched us take it apart!!

I would rather donate stuff or throw it away rather than listen to and deal with people that want to give me far less than items are worth. You know the people that bring up an armload of stuff (usually $10 or more) and say "I'll give you a dollar for all of this," like they are doing you a favor??!??!?!

I just don't have time for that kind of frustration!!! :mad: :headache:
:scared:

OK, I'll stop now. :upsidedow

Jakesmom504
05-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Have you ever thought about Ebay? I have made enough money to fund our entire Disney trip and airfare.

*KeepMovingForward*
05-25-2008, 10:07 PM
I have participated in my last garage sale. They are just not worth the trouble, IMO. People all want something for a nickel (even if it it priced $5!!) and then they come back to complain if they don't know how to make it work.

Can you tell I am a little bitter? I sold an OAK dining room set - table, leaf and six chairs - for $60. We DELIVERED IT to thier home - two blocks away.

They set it up wrong so the table wobbled. They came back mad and DEMANDED their money back. I went back up there - they had a large washer in the wrong place. I fixed it - and they still acted miffed that they couldn't get it to work.

Keep in mind the table was set up at our sale and they watched us take it apart!!

I would rather donate stuff or throw it away rather than listen to and deal with people that want to give me far less than items are worth. You know the people that bring up an armload of stuff (usually $10 or more) and say "I'll give you a dollar for all of this," like they are doing you a favor??!??!?!

I just don't have time for that kind of frustration!!! :mad: :headache:
:scared:

OK, I'll stop now. :upsidedow

I don't think it sounds bitter-just truthful. We had the same type of issues at our last two sales. Not worth the aggravation for us either.

GJM
05-25-2008, 10:26 PM
I do one every year with my sister - we have the sale on Sat & Sun. We usually make about $400 each, last year my sister made more.

I just did a yard sale yesterday with 2 other friends - total we made $800 - it is alot of work but we have fun doing it - and everyone was great that came, not too much haggling of the price -

coolbeans
05-26-2008, 07:23 AM
I think any extra money is better than no extra money. I get DH and DD to help out, usually DD has a friend over and we let them sell lemonade to make a buck or two for themselves. Last yard sale I made right at $100 which isn't too bad for a couple hours out in the sunshine.

bdcp
05-26-2008, 07:26 AM
By donating we write off a heck of a lot more than we ever would make in cash, plus it's helping others, not just us.

Kathi OD
05-26-2008, 08:24 AM
By donating we write off a heck of a lot more than we ever would make in cash, plus it's helping others, not just us.

ITA!

Colinsmom
05-26-2008, 08:29 AM
We just made $1600 at our garage sale last weekend, but we only do sales when someone is coordinating a neighborhood garage sale. So, someone else handles advertising, and we tend to get 30+ houses participating, so lots of people come. I don't feel like it is worth it to do a garage sale on my own, in general.

neatokimmo
05-26-2008, 08:47 AM
Ya, but not all of us itemize. The house is paid off, there is no way I can donate enough to cancel out my head of household deduction.

RayJay
05-26-2008, 08:51 AM
I have only had 1 garage sale 5 years ago. My dh says he remembers me saying, "never again". My kids were little then and it would have been tough keeping an eye on them and running a garage sale. Now my youngest is 6 and I figure the kids could all help. I have kids clothing size 3T and up- including teen clothing for both girls and boys. I have kids' shoes. I have toys, games, craft kits, and children's books. I have general household items like dishes, framed artwork, vases, etc. I have adult paperbooks. I have some wooden chairs, perhaps a rod iron patio table and 6 chairs.

My questions are:
1. is it worth all the work of pricing items, setting up, renting tables, and running it for a day or two?
2. Thursday is garage sale day around here- do you think July 3rd would be a good or bad day to hold a sale?
3. Should I have it 2 days?

Thanks for any input!

Made $700 at my last. :)

RayJay

kbkids
05-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Ya, but not all of us itemize. The house is paid off, there is no way I can donate enough to cancel out my head of household deduction.

Not to mention that writing off $500 doesn't mean you make $500.

bdcp
05-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Not to mention that writing off $500 doesn't mean you make $500.

Well, since we dont' donate just to write it off and we give heavily to charity anyway, it does make a difference on our taxes, but as I said I dont' do it just for the money. Garage sales are a pain to do, very few people make more than $100-150 doing them and I have much better things to do than sit in my driveway and argue with people who want to get something for nothing. Great for all those that do them, but I personally dont' feel they are worth it.

unbroken chain
05-26-2008, 09:21 AM
It depends on what your goal is.

If you want it out of your house and you don't care too much about the money, it's better than freecycle because it's all at once. I've had a lot of trouble with Freecycle folks not showing up. And you can make a little money.

However, take a look at the back of a Goodwill receipt some time and you will see the suggested donation values. Around here, it's a LOT more than you'd get at a yard sale. For example, "Ladies' Blouse: $3-$5". Well, you'd get 50 cents or $1 at a yard sale here. So if you write it off at $5, in the 25% tax bracket, you save $1.25 in taxes, which is about what you'd get at a yard sale, or maybe even more. Or, "Pillows: $1.00-$5.25." Who pays $5.25 for a used pillow at a yard sale?? Or, "formal wear: $8.00-$50.00." Maybe you can consign a fantastic formal dress for $50, but you won't get that at a yard sale. So IF you can write it off, you actually may be financially better off donating it than selling it. I guess they can sell it for more in their store than you can get at a yard sale.

On the other hand, if you have giant Little Tykes yard toys and you have a sedan so you can't transport it to Goodwill, and you don't want to make an appt. and wait around for Goodwill or the Salvation Army to show up for a scheduled pick up, well, maybe better to just throw your stuff out there, make $100 and be done with it. Or if you can't write it off, or you'd rather have $100 now than save $100 on your taxes next April. Or maybe stuff sells at better prices in your area than others. Or maybe you have stuff Goodwill won't take (around here, they won't accept building supplies, like doors, leftover lumber, etc.). Or maybe you'd have $10,000 worth of stuff you'd be writing off at the Goodwill guide prices, with furniture or what not, equivalent to writing "please audit me" across the front of your tax return.

So I'd evaluate what your goal is and what your time is worth to decide. For me, it's not worth it, but for others it may be.

ETA: I have never heard of renting tables for a yard sale. People put stuff on blankets when they run out of card tables and patio tables to use around here. Maybe you have nicer yard sales where you are so maybe you could get more $ than around here.

rockin_rep
05-26-2008, 09:27 AM
It depends on what your goal is.

If you want it out of your house and you don't care too much about the money, it's better than freecycle because it's all at once. I've had a lot of trouble with Freecycle folks not showing up. And you can make a little money.

However, take a look at the back of a Goodwill receipt some time and you will see the suggested donation values. Around here, it's a LOT more than you'd get at a yard sale. For example, "Ladies' Blouse: $3-$5". Well, you'd get 50 cents or $1 at a yard sale here. So if you write it off at $5, in the 25% tax bracket, you save $1.25 in taxes, which is about what you'd get at a yard sale, or maybe even more. Or, "Pillows: $1.00-$5.25." Who pays $5.25 for a used pillow at a yard sale?? Or, "formal wear: $8.00-$50.00." Maybe you can consign a fantastic formal dress for $50, but you won't get that at a yard sale. So IF you can write it off, you actually may be financially better off donating it than selling it. I guess they can sell it for more in their store than you can get at a yard sale.

On the other hand, if you have giant Little Tykes yard toys and you have a sedan so you can't transport it to Goodwill, and you don't want to make an appt. and wait around for Goodwill or the Salvation Army to show up for a scheduled pick up, well, maybe better to just throw your stuff out there, make $100 and be done with it. Or if you can't write it off, or you'd rather have $100 now than save $100 on your taxes next April. Or maybe stuff sells at better prices in your area than others. Or maybe you'd have $10,000 worth of stuff you'd be writing off at the Goodwill guide prices, with furniture or what not, equivalent to writing "please audit me" across the front of your tax return.

So I'd evaluate what your goal is and what your time is worth to decide. For me, it's not worth it, but for others it may be.

This is VERY true and wise advice!!!

kbkids
05-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Our neighborhood does one twice a year, one in May and one in October. I usually make about $300-$400 a sale. Whatever I don't sell, unless it truly is just junk, I pack back up and put in the attic for the next sale (it's usually only a couple of boxes). If it's been through two sales, I send it to Goodwill and get a receipt for around $100 - I don't typically have much to send there. Adult clothes only go through one sale because they rarely sell around here. Kids clothes I sell at our twice a year consignment sale, and I tag throughout the year so it's not a big job when time for the consignment sale (which I usually make about $400 on each of those sales as well). Whatever is already tagged for the upcoming consignment sale, I will put out in the yard sale and just see if it sells - typically not much will, as consignment sale prices are usually set higher than yard sales.

Garages sales around here run mostly on just Saturdays, some Fridays. Our neighborhood sale signs are up on Fridays, so I just start setting up on Friday. If someone comes in and wants to look, fine with me. Whatever they buy then, gives me more room for something else. I usually only make about $50 on Friday. It takes me about 4 hours on Friday to get it set up and priced. Close the garage door and open it back up on Saturday morning at 7:00. At noon, we start packing up. So, I think $300-$400 for 8-9 hours of work isn't bad!!

My kids run a "Coca Cola" sale to keep them occupied during the sale and to give them some extra money. I will stock up on 12 packs right before the sale, ice them down, and the kids sell them for 50 cents. We usually can't keep the cooler full. This past sale just a few weeks ago, they made $22 in three hours (they won't get up at 7:00 with me :) ) Seeing as how each of their allowances are less than $10, they will thrilled that they made more than their weekly allowance in just three hours!

Obviously, I think they're more than worth it. We have fun chatting with the neighbors who drop by, and typically, you will get alot of the same customers from the last sale. I don't let the hagglers bother me. If I'm willing to let it go for what they're asking, I'll say yes. If not, then no - I don't sit there and argue with them. If they start to be persistent, I look them straight in the eye and repeat, "I said no. The price on the item is what it says. Take it or leave it." End of story.

By the way, I don't rent tables either. We've got two tables that we bought at Target awhile back for parties that we'll use. We've used plywood set across two coolers, blankets on the ground, you name it.

I think they're fun. I grew up doing garage sales with my Mom all the time. The kids have fun with ours, and we just don't see it as a pain to do. If it was, I'd pack it up and just send it off too. But we all enjoy it. We actually ended up with a free bike this last sale. Our neighbor asked if he could just put it in our sale and see if it sold. It didn't, and when my husband took it back to him, he said, "I don't want it back. Just keep it if you'll use it." So, we did, and DH now has a very nice new bike.

eeyorefan74
05-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Just wanted to chime in and agree with those who have said you'll make more on kids' stuff at a consignment sale than a garage sale. I sell at a twice yearly kids' consignment sale and kids' clothes, toys, books, movies, room decor, furniture, etc. go for much higher prices there than they would at a garage sale. The moms there are more likely to know good quality clothes and are coming in expecting to pay a little more, but still get good deals. Generally at my garage sales in the past, people want to pay .50 or so for an item of clothing I could get $3 or more for at the consignment sale, sometimes a lot more. It's less work selling that way, too.

powellrj
05-26-2008, 10:24 AM
I agree it depends on what your goal is and I also would add your expectations.

My mom and dad have one every year and if they make $75 they feel like they have had a good sale. I will not bother if I don't think I could make at least $300. It wouldn't be worth my time.

If you think you have enough stuff to make the kind of money you would like to make, go for it.

I wouldn't have it over a holiday weekend. There were several going in my neighborhood yesterday and I never saw anyone stop. Fridays and Saturdays work well in my neighborhood, Thursday and Friday work well for my parents. They live in a small town and most people are home on Thursday where I live in a larger town and Friday and Saturday are the busy days.

We have done single price sales where all clothes are a certain price we have done sales where everything is priced separately. My favorite sales are the bag sales where you put everything out and put out shopping bags. Start at 8am and $5 a bag. Lower the price a dollar each hour 9am $4, 10am $3, 11am $2 and by noon you are down to $1 and everything that isn't gone goes to goodwill. Its quick and easy. You don't make as much, but you don't work as hard.

GJM
05-26-2008, 10:44 AM
We have never rented tables before - we use what we have or boxes with the .50 clothes I put down a tarp on the lawn and people go thru them. I always make at least $250. We also always have fun and I never argue with people. I will pretty much go down in price unless it is something I won't and I have never had a problem.

We had some teachers buy alot of the books at this yard sale for their class - the books were priced between .25 - 1.00, were else will they get books that cheap!

kbkids
05-26-2008, 11:11 AM
We had some teachers buy alot of the books at this yard sale for their class - the books were priced between .25 - 1.00, were else will they get books that cheap!

The reading recovery teacher from my kids' school stopped by our past sale and snagged a huge box of beanie babies. There were probably 25 or more in there that I had priced at 50 cents. She uses them for prizes in her classroom. She asked me how much for the whole box, and I told her $5. My mom looked at me like I was nuts. She thanked me and continued to shop. She ended up spending over $30 on classroom prizes and such. I pretty much let her have stuff at buy 1, get 1 type of pricing. After she left, my mom says, "What on earth were you doing?" I told her it was all going to the kid's school, which is where it would have ended up anyway had it not sold. So, in essence, she's saving me the trip of packing it up and taking it up there! The teacher was thrilled!

PBader
05-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Our subdivision has an annual sale, I usually set up about every 3 years. I sell my collectibles (Barbies, Precious Moments) and things we collect from our business--beer neons, coolers etc. We usually make between 2-3K for a Friday & Saturday sale. It is too much work to do once a year, but every three isn't too bad.

TheLittleRoo
05-26-2008, 07:22 PM
I've found that MY garage sales never seem worth it for the time, the bother of pricing everything & arranging it for display, etc. We write off donations on our itemizations, and it's just easier that way.

That said, I am also not inclined to mark things down to $1 just to get them sold. I use Craigslist for my sports gear, Gymboree clothes, furniture, etc. I sell on Ebay for my kids designer clothes (which would NEVER sell at a garage sale for more than $5 per item and with ebay, I get back 80-100% of what I paid for them when I bought them on Ebay myself!!)

So what ends up as eligible for garage sale in my household, is boring stuff like kitchen items, or small kids toys, and by then it's not worth it.

Craiglist, Ebay and Goodwill work for us!

Todd&Copper
05-27-2008, 09:49 AM
My neighborhood has tried to have "community yard sales" for the past 4 years. I heard about the one they had in 2005 - we had just moved in and had nothing to sell, having gotten rid of mosdt of our stuff before moving. Apparently, most participants made between $50 and $100.
In 2006, it rained on the scheduled day, and I did not see anyone ouit with a table the following weekend (the rain date).
In 2007, I saw one or two tables out.
This year, there were signs up the month before the yard sale, but if anyone participated, they had packed up by 11 am.

The organizers wanted everyone to set up in one particualr cul-de-sac instead in fron of each house (and to be fair, our neighborhood has about 75 houses spread out along a mile long road with several cul-de-sacs, so I do not know if letting each house set up in front would have been a good idea, anyway), but I wasn't going to load up a car of stuff to drive a half mile for the sale anyway (and then pack up stuff that didn't sell to bring it back, b/c you can't very well leave it in the middle of someone else's street, right?).

I think our neighborhood is just not a good place for yard sales. I know I seldom if ever find anything I want to buy at a yard sale. Might be different if I had kids and was looking for toys on the cheap. I sell things of value on eBay, see if neighbors/friends can use furniture, and donate the rest to Purple Heart.

mom2rose&john
05-27-2008, 09:54 AM
We just made $1600 at our garage sale last weekend, but we only do sales when someone is coordinating a neighborhood garage sale. So, someone else handles advertising, and we tend to get 30+ houses participating, so lots of people come. I don't feel like it is worth it to do a garage sale on my own, in general.

I agree with this. If it is a multi house garage sale you will get more traffic. I did this the last weekend and sold over $700 worth of stuff. It was crazy busy. Over 50 houses and each house paid $5 for advertising. You do get your strange people and hagglers but you have to let it roll off your back. I had someone ask if I took checks. A big NO to that one. And some one came in at the end put down $25 (sold at 50 cents each) worth of clothes and households and offered $1. I said no and counter with $15, she paid it with a twenty.

castleview
05-27-2008, 09:59 AM
For me, it's not worth leaving the clutter in my house. I found a nice consignment shop that does a 50/50. I get rid of it, get some money for it, and don't have to take up a Saturday. The kids hate my stance however. They want to sell some stuff. Just the other day, DD6 said she wanted to sell her Bitty Baby crib at a tag sale. Ummm...no! We'll ebay that puppy! :rotfl:

JackJack08
05-27-2008, 11:33 PM
Where we live, our town does a "town wide" yard sale day. It was last Saturday and we made $1400.00!! My friends also had "stuff" in it at my house and they made a combined $550.00. So my answer is yes, without a doubt!! My DD8 even had a BBQ going with her Dad and she made a profit of $140.00, which she is saving for Disney!!:thumbsup2

fatewineroses
05-28-2008, 04:16 AM
Depends on a lot of factors.

Area you live in. (popularity of garage sales)
Type of items you have.
How much you value your time.
Your patience with those people looking for a "bargain."

Some food for thought:

craigslist.com
ebay.com
freecycle.org
local consignment shops
local virtual garage sale email lists
local charities

Furniture, kid's clothes, toys, books...these I'd sell at a garage sale.
Things NOT to sell at a garage sale...electronics and "nice" jewelry.

Check out your local freecycle group. Some of them have an offshoot group that is for virtual garage sales. My group does and it's VERY active. Consignment shops are great for furniture. Electronics (large) do well on craigslist. Electronics (small/med) will do well on craigslist or ebay. Try to find some of those charities that don't get everyone and their sister donating to them, but they still need them. Like homeless shelters, battered women shelters, etc.

Whatever you decide...HAVE FUN! :banana:

mominwestlake
05-28-2008, 06:44 AM
Thanks for all the input! I think we'll try having one this summer. I'd like to clean out every nook and cranny of our house but don't know if I'll get dh and the kids onboard. I am going to look in our local paper for the next few weeks and see which days are most popular for garage sales.

WendyisDarling
05-28-2008, 08:04 AM

We donate all of our clothes already. They just don't sell around here. Way too much trouble esp. when others can use them. (When the kids were babies, the clothes sold great).
I've been trying to figure out if the write off deduction equals or exceeds what we make at a sale. (I realize not everyone itemizes, but we do.)
It may be a stupid question but how do you figure what you actually gain from the deduction?

disneysteve
05-28-2008, 08:23 AM
I've been trying to figure out if the write off deduction equals or exceeds what we make at a sale. (I realize not everyone itemizes, but we do.)
It may be a stupid question but how do you figure what you actually gain from the deduction?

The deduction is worth a percentage of the claimed value equal to your tax bracket. If you are in the 25% bracket and you donate an item worth $1.00, you save $0.25 off your taxes. In order for the deduction to be equal to a sale, you'd have to be selling the item for 1/4 of the value you would claim if you donated it. In other words, you'd have to sell that $1.00 item for $0.25 for the sale and the deduction to match. If you sell the item for more than $0.25, you come out ahead.

dizkids
05-28-2008, 08:55 AM
We are having on this weekend. There are 7 homes on my street so we will advertise BLOCK SALE and hopefully get more traffic than the average one home sale being they can save gas and hit our street.

WendyisDarling
05-28-2008, 09:15 AM
The deduction is worth a percentage of the claimed value equal to your tax bracket. If you are in the 25% bracket and you donate an item worth $1.00, you save $0.25 off your taxes. In order for the deduction to be equal to a sale, you'd have to be selling the item for 1/4 of the value you would claim if you donated it. In other words, you'd have to sell that $1.00 item for $0.25 for the sale and the deduction to match. If you sell the item for more than $0.25, you come out ahead.
Thanks. :goodvibes Makes perfect sense now.

ceecee
05-28-2008, 09:19 AM
We have one every year. It is worth it for me, we usually make close to $1000.00 or more, one year we made $1500.00. Kids clothes and toys sell the best and I have people lined up on the day I open. I have sold everything! Books, household items, TVs, printers, moniters and tons of computer games we no longer used. I do it Thursday (the big day around here) Friday and Saturday until 1:00 or so. We get the benefit of getting the garage cleaned out really good one a year as well!:) The city has a sectioned garage sale that brings in tons of people and a few neighbors and I have our own around the end of June with like 10 different sales, this brings in more people too!

rockin_rep
05-28-2008, 09:34 AM
Check out your local freecycle group. Some of them have an offshoot group that is for virtual garage sales. My group does and it's VERY active.

Can you, or anyone, help me register w/freecycle? I get all the way to the 'yahoo toolbar' page but since i don't want to install it, it won't let me go any further!!?? Or do i 'have' to install it to be a member?

TIA!