PDA

View Full Version : Honda FIT owners?

Pigeon
05-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Does anybody have a Honda Fit? If so, can you tell me how you like it? Did your dealer add some kind of premium to the price? Dh is almost 6'4" so headroom is a concern, and he'd be the primary driver.

We're trying to test drive one, and have been unable to even see one at a dealer's showroom!

luv2laugh
05-24-2008, 04:12 PM
I can't tell you about the Fit, but I just bought a Toyota Yaris and LOVE it! :lovestruc

ETA: We actually bought the Sport edition with the side airbags and ABS for only $100 over invoice!

Where'sPiglet?
05-24-2008, 04:18 PM
I can't tell you about the Fit, but I just bought a Toyota Yaris and LOVE it! :lovestruc

ETA: We actually bought the Sport edition with the side airbags and ABS for only $100 over invoice!

I have a few questions about your Yaris:
1. Is it annoying having the speedometer, etc in the middle of the dash instead of behind the steering wheel? All the interior pics I've seen have it located there.

2. What size did you get? Liftback or sedan? I've wanted to get the Yaris liftback since I saw it for the first time last year.

Thanks. (Sorry OP....I got a little off topic)

Pigeon
05-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Thanks. (Sorry OP....I got a little off topic)

That's OK, the Yaris is on our list, too. But I think it's not going to be comfy enough for dh, and we'd need at least a Corolla. We're partial to Toyotas, but the Fit looks kind of neat, too.

jensmom
05-24-2008, 04:41 PM
I have a Honda Fit and LOVE it!!! Actually won it in an AP contest at DL :cool1: When we got it, we thought for sure we would sell it as it looks (deceivingly) small on the outside. We have had it over a year now. We have been so happy with it (especially the gas mileage now!). It is just like an SUV and we are able to haul around lots of stuff (landscaping bags of rocks, new water heater, etc.) It does seat 5, but it is a little cramped for adults - better with only 4, and still has cargo room in the back. If there are only 2, then the entire back area can be folded down to hold cargo. Hope this helps! :)

Mom2aGoofyBoy
05-24-2008, 04:44 PM
I love my fit, I would reccommend it to anyone. My husband and is 6'4 and "pooh sized" as they would say here and he fits great, even in the back seat. I bought it in January and have over 8000 miles already ( I commute 30 miles each way). I get 35 MPG, and find it ot be very comfortable. It is amazing what can fit in it too!! I picked up 25 bags of mulch today with my son still in his carseat in the back! My dad and husband both really want to get one too. I traded in my grand cherokee and wasn't sure how I would like the smaller car, but with the way it is designed it really doesn't feel small. I wish it had a sunroof, but I can live. It doesn't have an arm rest, which bugs my husband, but you can buy one online and it doesn't have tinted windows (a must in the hot florida sun) but that was only $200 and looks factory.

We didn't have a hard time finding one, looked at 2 dealerships before we got the price we wanted, but they were available at both.

Let me know if you have any questions!!

luv2laugh
05-24-2008, 04:46 PM
1. Is it annoying having the speedometer, etc in the middle of the dash instead of behind the steering wheel? All the interior pics I've seen have it located there.

I honestly thought it would bother me, but I got used to it after the first day! The only thing that I'm still getting used to is the clock being on the dash rather than on the radio.

2. What size did you get? Liftback or sedan? I've wanted to get the Yaris liftback since I saw it for the first time last year.

I have a red liftback. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it! I have the automatic and I'm getting GREAT gas mileage. I have yet to fill up from leaving the dealer! I've gone 350 miles and I still have a little less than a quarter of a tank left. (It only has an 11 gallon tank too!)

I have to add that I was absolutely surprised by the amount of storage the car has! I keep finding more little openings to put things! :laughing:

Green Tea
05-24-2008, 05:31 PM
My friends have a Fit and love it. They are both large folks and have repeatedly said they can not believe how much space in in the car and also how much they can carry in it.

Pigeon
05-24-2008, 05:57 PM
I have a Honda Fit and LOVE it!!! Actually won it in an AP contest at DL :cool1:

How completely cool is that?

dismom3
05-24-2008, 06:21 PM
I think the civic gets about the same gas mileage as the fit. Why not go with a better looking and roomier car for about the same price? Or does the fit have more room?

Pigeon
05-24-2008, 06:38 PM
We test drove a new Civic, and it was OK. All things ($) being equal, I'd probably be more inclined to go with another Corolla (we'd be replacing a 93) because we have had great luck with Toyotas.

Also, dh is very tall (but not otherwise big), and the Civic has its parking break in a very awkward spot where it hits him right in the knee while driving. That might get old. We might go for a slightly used model, so I'd have to see if that's the case in the past couple of years.

The Fit is kind of neat in that it has rear seats that fold completely out of the way so that you can carry all sorts of stuff if you need to. That's why we'd be interested over a Civic.

jensmom
05-24-2008, 08:33 PM
How completely cool is that?

I know :thumbsup2 I call it my "Mickey" car. And I have the DL resort license plate frame that says "Disneyland - Where Dreams Come True"!

Scrapologist
05-24-2008, 09:26 PM
I have a Fit and LOVE it!! We get about 44 miles to the gallon when we are on the highway, which is a lot!! I honestly thought I would hate it when I first saw it, because as someone else said, it looks small and is deceiving, but I have come to love it so much. I really love driving it, it is so much fun!! :)

Swimnoid
05-24-2008, 09:33 PM
You all are making me jealous! We just traded our Pilot in for a Civic. DD already has the same exact car down to the color. We drove a Fit and I liked it ok but thought the civic's engine was a little zippier. DH did not like it though. :guilty: We will be getting rid of her civic though in 2 years so maybe I can get one then!

cathy_s
05-24-2008, 10:14 PM
DH is 6'5" and works for Honda. He said that he's quite comfortable in a Fit as far as headroom but he has the same problem as a previous poster's DH. Just like the Civic, his right knee hits the console/dash. He said that either would be OK for short distances but it would be annoying after 20 min or more of driving. We went with the Element (again) and both of us are really happy with it. It drives like a car but has lots and lots of head/legroom.

digitaldevice
05-25-2008, 12:23 AM
I LOVE my fit!! We have the Red one and it was a surprise for my wife. I got it a little over a year ago and I had to drive 2 hours to get one in red. They were in demand at the time, might still be. Just put some new shoes on her some S drives, boy are these tires awesome.

We love her so much the first year we put 30K on that car. We go everywhere in it. Just drove from Northern IL to OH on little over a tank of gas. I filled up today at $3.95 and total cost for a full take was $34.00. My GMC minivan was $85.00:scared1: the other day and they get close to the same mileage.

dismom3
05-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Does the fit have more or less cabin space for the driver than the civic?

BelleBeautyandtheBeast
05-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Does the fit have more or less cabin space for the driver than the civic?

From carsdirect.com

Civic front headroom 39.4"
Fit front headroom 40.6"

Civic front legroom 42.2"
Fit front legroom 41.9"

Civic front hiproom 51.9"
Fit front hiproom 51.2"

Civic front shoulder room 53.7"
Fit front shoulder room 52.8"

Civic passenger volume 91 cu. ft.
Fit passenger volume 90 cu. ft.

Civic max. cargo volume 12 cu. ft.
Fit max. cargo volume 41.9 cu. ft. (w/seats folded down) 21.3 cu. ft (w/seats in place)

DawnM
05-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Can someone tell me why the Fit is any better than a Civic? According to the gas mileage charts, they get the same gas mileage.

Dawn

luv2laugh
05-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Can someone tell me why the Fit is any better than a Civic? According to the gas mileage charts, they get the same gas mileage.

Dawn

It's cuter! :rotfl:

encinc
05-25-2008, 09:13 AM

Dawn

I believe it's the added cargo space in the FIT. We have friends who have 3 kids still in carseats/boosters, and they manage to go on weekend trips in their FIT. I think that would be hard in a Civic.

dmslush
05-25-2008, 09:54 AM
I am planning on buying a new car next year, and this is one that I have been looking at. Right now, I drive 51 miles to work and 51 back each day, not counting the driving that I do on the job. So, I'm looking for something with really good gas mileage. I see one poster saying that they get over 40 mpg on highways, can anyone else share what kind of mileage that they are getting?

aunt lissa
05-25-2008, 10:05 AM

We bought our Yaris in March and LOVE it. DH drove from Nashville, TN to Pensacola, FL on just $40.00! :cool1: You just can't beat that.
Got used to the speedometer being in the middle rather quickly and it's pretty comfy as well. We have the liftback in black.

DawnM
05-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks guys. I was just wondering. We are not anywhere in the market for a new vehicle so I just haven't looked.

Our paid for cars are still far cheaper, even with gas prices, than to add a car payment!

Dawn

dacky041208
05-25-2008, 02:48 PM
I am planning on buying a new car next year, and this is one that I have been looking at. Right now, I drive 51 miles to work and 51 back each day, not counting the driving that I do on the job. So, I'm looking for something with really good gas mileage. I see one poster saying that they get over 40 mpg on highways, can anyone else share what kind of mileage that they are getting?

I got an 08 fit in january, and started off getting 30-32 mpg in the cold weather, now that it has warmed up, I'd say I'm averaging around 40. On long trips (I drive out to pittsburgh for work sometimes) I get around 45 or so, city driving can end up around 35 mpg. I love the car all around and it is fun to drive.

dacky041208
05-25-2008, 02:51 PM
I wanted to add that I drive around 15000 miles a year for work, so I did a lot of research on cars before I got my fit. They seem to always be at the top of the rankings for sub-compact cars, and also have one of the lowest (as in best) "true cost to own" ratings. The only negatives I see is that it has a small gas tank (around 11-12 gallons) and if you get the manual, there is no dead pedal, but the car is awesome.

MAH4546
05-25-2008, 04:20 PM
If you are the type of person that doesn't like having an outdated car, don't forget that a brand-new Honda Fit goes on sale this summer, with more interior room and flexibility, plus an optional touch-screen navigation.

http://images.myride.com/images/vehicle/2009/Honda/Fit/oem/09_Honda_Fit_Sport_08_(400x300).jpg

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/multimedia/photo_gallery/8215862/0803_02z+2009_honda_fit+interior_view.jpg

Jonny_Duck
05-25-2008, 04:54 PM
I have the Yaris actually and I wish I got the Fit but once I saw the Yaris hatchback on TV I said yup thats the car I am getting and I did. I test drove the Fit after I got the Yaris and its a rly nice car. For difference in the Fit vs Civic I believe Civic is "sportier" then the Fit. I was a big guy when I drove the Fit and I "fit" perfectly with lots of head room. It is actually very spacious. Now that you show me the new Fit I am curious what it will cost.

When I went to buy the Yaris my mom said... "wouldnt it be a pain having the speedometer in the middle?" I rly didnt notice a difference at all it didnt bother me one bit. My mom liked mine so much she bought her own though. One thing I noticed is its kinda loud inside which she has heard from ppl also and her car is loud too while she has the non hatchback version.

lcboysfan
05-25-2008, 08:54 PM
The Honda Fit did rate the best in class for Small Compact Vehicles but not too far behind was the Nissan Versa which I bought back in January, The Fit overall rated higher but The Versa had the biggest interior cabin in it's Class, (Rumors had it the the interior had more room than a Hond Accord or Camry) Gas Mileage differs slightly but it was the right choice as a second vehicle for a Family of (4).

dacky041208
05-26-2008, 01:58 PM
The Honda Fit did rate the best in class for Small Compact Vehicles but not too far behind was the Nissan Versa which I bought back in January, The Fit overall rated higher but The Versa had the biggest interior cabin in it's Class, (Rumors had it the the interior had more room than a Hond Accord or Camry) Gas Mileage differs slightly but it was the right choice as a second vehicle for a Family of (4).

I test drove the versa hatchback as well, that was my other finalist. It came down to having the 6th gear in the nissan, or the better MPG with the fit. After reading all the reviews on edmunds.com, as happy as people were with the nissan, there was no way I was passing up on the fit. Although the Versa is a little less expensive too.

tflood
05-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Add me to the list of I LOVE my Fit club. I bought mine about a year ago and still love it! This is my fourth honda and I think its now my favorite. Though i'm the primary driver, DH drives the car a lot and he's 6'1" and he fits fine (no pun intended) It gets great gas mileage and is so versatile, not only can you put the back seats down like an SUV, but you can put the back seats UP leaving a large open floor space, which is the perfect place for our dog (it keeps her off the seat and she like the floor better anyway) I test drove the Yaris (DH actually works for a division of Toyota) but I though the speedometer was, well unusual and I liked having the 5 door hatchback anyway. Its like having the best of both worlds, all the versitility of an SUV and the gas mileage of a car :thumbsup2

Oh and when I bought mine, I got the only one in the area, so no choosing which color I wanted (they were very hard to come by at the time) and Honda had no rebates or discounts at the time, I practically paid the sticker price :scared1: but it was still worth it!

Jonny_Duck
05-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Add me to the list of I LOVE my Fit club. I bought mine about a year ago and still love it! This is my fourth honda and I think its now my favorite. Though i'm the primary driver, DH drives the car a lot and he's 6'1" and he fits fine (no pun intended) It gets great gas mileage and is so versatile, not only can you put the back seats down like an SUV, but you can put the back seats UP leaving a large open floor space, which is the perfect place for our dog (it keeps her off the seat and she like the floor better anyway) I test drove the Yaris (DH actually works for a division of Toyota) but I though the speedometer was, well unusual and I liked having the 5 door hatchback anyway. Its like having the best of both worlds, all the versitility of an SUV and the gas mileage of a car :thumbsup2

Oh and when I bought mine, I got the only one in the area, so no choosing which color I wanted (they were very hard to come by at the time) and Honda had no rebates or discounts at the time, I practically paid the sticker price :scared1: but it was still worth it!

When I went looking for a Fit they only had 1 also and it was Silver which I was not impressed with. Also, the guy who let me look at it was the worst salesman in history. When I went for the Yaris they refuse to give me my car keys back till I signed on the line and said thanks for the new car. I am fairly happy with the Yaris it was definately cheaper then the Fit would have been. I do think though my next car will be the Fit if they keep the price roughly the same. I hear they are making it in Hybrid also which would make gas mileage even better.

digitaldevice
05-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Honda had no rebates or discounts at the time, I practically paid the sticker price :scared1: but it was still worth it!

I was stuck in the same place as you. I paid sticker price too :scared1: The dealer got 2 Red Fits Sports in stock the day I called about the car. Both sold the same day, I got one of them. Had to drive 2 hours to get it.
To this day there are not allot of FITS around here where I live so it's nice to see people ask me if they can look at it when I pull into a parking place. (It happens about once a week)

Check out my favorite FIT site also http://www.fitfreak.net/
Great info and mods.

When you need some tires for that Fit look at the Yokohama S Drives. I just got a set and the performance on the Fit is incredible with these tires. Like glue on the road, I can easy corner curves at 60-70 now. Lots of fun.:cool1:

nowellsl
05-27-2008, 09:28 AM
Would anyone mind sharing what they paid for their Fit? It sounds like something I'd like to look at but won't bother if it's really expensive! Thanks!

Jonny_Duck
05-27-2008, 09:50 AM
Would anyone mind sharing what they paid for their Fit? It sounds like something I'd like to look at but won't bother if it's really expensive! Thanks!

I checked ebay and they had 2 for 15k range. When I went to get mine in 06 I believe it was the sticker was 15,995. It is affordable if you can find them. I havent been car shopping in a while but I see very few on roads around here so either they are not in demand where I live or there just is not that many coming in. The ones on ebay were 07 with 9k to 15k miles ish.

Pigeon
05-27-2008, 06:09 PM
I was able to peer at a Fit in a parking lot today. It appears that the handbrake is centered over the console in the middle, and not aimed directly at the driver's knee like in the Civic. That's a good thing!

Poohbug
05-28-2008, 10:38 AM
I am looking at a new Fit and I am wondering how it does in the snow? Has anyone had to drive theirs through a snowy winter??

digitaldevice
05-28-2008, 01:04 PM
I am looking at a new Fit and I am wondering how it does in the snow? Has anyone had to drive theirs through a snowy winter??

Ours drove great in the snow. We used it all last winter and here near Chicago we had a lot of snow.