PDA

View Full Version : 7 Graduations, 2 Wedding & A Baby Shower

tinkerbell615
05-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Gosh... can you guys please tell me how to get gifts for everyone without going broke. :worried:

Three graduations are family and one wedding is family. We really can not afford to spend a lot of money but I want to make sure everyone gets something.

Last year, somewhere on these boards there was a post about buying the travel size detergent, shampoo etc... I was thinking about making a basket for my niece who is going away to college with the single size detergent etc... that she could use while away. Do any of you know the site I am talking about.

Thanks and I appreciate any creativity, budgetwise that you might be able to give.

Hedy
05-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Gosh... can you guys please tell me how to get gifts for everyone without going broke. :worried:

Three graduations are family and one wedding is family. We really can not afford to spend a lot of money but I want to make sure everyone gets something.

Last year, somewhere on these boards there was a post about buying the travel size detergent, shampoo etc... I was thinking about making a basket for my niece who is going away to college with the single size detergent etc... that she could use while away. Do any of you know the site I am talking about.

Thanks and I appreciate any creativity, budgetwise that you might be able to give.
minimus.biz? :confused3 :confused3

englishteacha
05-23-2008, 04:44 PM
For the HS grads going off to college, a good laundry basket or hamper and a bottle of detergent (the SunBurst brand works really well and is $1.97 at Walmart), maybe a roll of quarters?

A shower tote for a HS grad is a nice gift, too. A pair of flip flops, a towel and washcloth, some shampoo/conditioner in a plastic bucket of some kind to take from dorm room to shower is really handy.

The best grad present I got, though, was an IOU for a care package to be sent once school started. Mid-October, a lovely lady from my church sent me a small box full of homemade cookies, some candy, and a nice letter about things going on at home.

For wedding presents, maybe a nice photo album for their pictures, or some nice new fluffy towels and washcloths? My niece is getting married and was so excited to get some new, soft towels.

sunshine1178
05-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Your graduation idea is cute. The Targets near me have small size detergent, fabric softener, etc. in the "travel size" section, near the health and beauty section. A couple of those with a roll of quarters ($10) would be cute. Maybe package the whole thing up in a lingerie bag (small mesh bags for washing delicates) from the dollar store. Do you really have 7 graduations? I think you could do that idea for $15, but it's still pricey times 7... If you have a membership to Sam's Club, or a similar store, maybe you could buy highlighters, pens, and index cards in bulk, and then break those into gift packs. I had a roommate who went through thousands of index cards. I'm not sure what to package them in to make them attractive, though...

For the baby shower and wedding gifts, maybe the clearance racks at Borders or Barnes & Noble? A couple of nice books would be a nice baby shower gift, and a cookbook isn't a bad wedding gift. If you have a little more money to spend, maybe get an accessory to go with the cookbook, like an Asian cookbook and a wok, or a few sets of chopsticks.

There's always the vague charity gift. Heifer.org has some really cool things, and you could "buy" something there (i.e. make a donation to the charity), and then print up little cards to put in everyone's card saying "a donation has been made to xxx Charity in honor of your special day." The nice thing about that (besides that you are helping a worthy cause, and not giving people stuff to clutter their house) is that no one knows exactly how much you spent, or how many people you "honored" with your gift.

tinkerbell615
05-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks these are great ideas. And... Yes.. I have 7 graduations. All of these, the graduations, weddings and baby shower are all in the month of June.

I do like the cook book idea and the shower tote idea is a unique idea.

Thanks again.