PDA

View Full Version : OT: DVD Players

dobball23
05-23-2008, 11:35 AM
I am in the market for a new DVD player since mine doesn't seem to be working. Obviously, since I am posting this on the budget board, I would like to get the most cost-effective player.

I have read a lot about Blu-Ray Discs, but know nothing about them excpet that they are more expensive than "normal" DVD players. If I buy a normal DVD player, will it be obsolete within a year or two due to the emergence of Blue-Ray technology? Or will the "normal" DVD player still be "modern" technology for a number of years?

Thanks!

Jhult
05-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Blu-Ray is the future now that HD DVD players are no longer produced. They are much more expensive than regular DVD players, but have alot to offer. Blu-Ray players can also play regular DVDs so you do not have to restock your collection. Your best bet might be to buy a 1080 upconvert DVD player since they are very inexpensive now, and wait for the price of Blu-rays to drop over the next couple of years.

dobball23
05-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the tips. I would rather not buy a Blu-Ray player, knowing they are considerably more expensive. However, I also didn't want to shell out the money for a normal DVD player and then find out in a year that it is obsolete because no more normal DVDs are being sold!

I definitely don't need top-of-the-line technology!