PDA

View Full Version : yes, ANOTHER yard sale price question!!!

kate0305
05-21-2008, 07:25 PM
I have never had a yard sale, and our neighborhood is having one in a couple of weeks. There are a couple of things that I would love to find another home, but I have no idea what to price things as. I would love to get rid of my wedding dress since it is just taken up coveted closet space. I also am done with a train table in my DS room, since he just throws toys on it when he is 'cleaning' his room. And I also have a chair from my in-laws that I am pretty sure is an antique- my FIL was going to take it to the goodwill and I snatched it out of the truck!!!

Are there any guidelines for pricing? I don't want to price too high to not sell, but don't want to under price either. Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated.

drivencrazy
05-21-2008, 07:39 PM
With garage sales... I try and price things by how much I would pay for the item... usually I price kind of low but since I will be donating whatever is left I want it priced to sell!

You could always list your larger items, or items that you want more $$$ for on craigslist or in the paper if you don't feel you can get enough at a garage sale!

Good luck with the sale!

kristilew
05-21-2008, 07:40 PM
In my experience, most yard sale goers are bargain hunters. If you have something you think is worth some $, but would require someone to be able to recoginze its value, you are better off with a consignment shop or craigslist.

Make two different sections of your yard sale (at least in your mind): first, the stuff you'll take to Goodwill at the end of the sale, so anything you get for it is a bonus, and secondly, stuff you are floating at a higher price, that you wouldn't let go if you don't get that price. Making those distinctions ahead of time will help you keep your cool on the day, and to not be kicking yourself later.

Good luck!

iNTeNSeBLue98
05-21-2008, 07:45 PM
Our community yard sale was last week. I usually go to the trouble of pricing everything, but this time I decided not to bother. I pretty much was going to let the buyer name a price, but when they would ask "How much?" I was forced to come up with a number. I usually had an idea of what I wanted.

My brother was sure I wouldn't sell a big portable CD boom box with a broken CD player for $5. He thought I should go at $3. I stuck my ground and someone did give me $5! My brother was being cheap. He just wanted to get rid of stuff and didn't care about making any money, only wanted to get the stuff out of the house.

I had some Home Interiors artwork, two groups of three matching prints with nice wood frames. I wanted $15 for each set, but no takers. One guy only wanted the two larger prints, one from each set. I was disappointed at breaking the grouping, but gave in to make the sale at $7. (he initially offered $5).

TealHearts70
05-25-2008, 11:01 PM
The other posters have given great advice already. I agree that the larger ticket items (like your wedding dress) will sell better on craigslist etc. You could always try selling it at your garage/yard sale and see if there are any takers for the price you want. I always ask a little more then my bottom line number. That way if they really want the item you have room to negotiate the price. I also found that if I decline a person's offer, there will always be someone else that will come along who wants it. Good luck with your sale!

Barb

kate0305
05-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks you all. The sale is this weekend, so hopefully I am pricing in a way that moves the merchandise. I am doing books and VHS tapes cheap so that they will go enjoy someone else's home!!! Also kids clothes that may not do so well at the kids consignment sale (I read somewhere on this board that brand name kid clothes fetches a higher price there).

With the bigger things, I may price them higher, and if they don't sell, check out craigslist.

I knew the helpful folks on the DIS would come through!! Thanks again!:goodvibes