PDA

View Full Version : Holiday pricing

Freyja
05-21-2008, 06:25 AM
We will be at WDW from 11/25-12/09, when should I expect holiday prices? Just on Thanksgiving day, the whole week, the entire two weeks?

I had never heard of holiday prices until today so Im kind of stressed out...

ShellyLynn3630
05-21-2008, 06:54 AM
Probably for a couple of weeks. This is just one way of Disney trying to screw people out of money. Its ridiculous!!!!!

Freyja
05-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Thats insane. Especially since we cant get the dining plan since were staying the first week offsite and the second week onsite. Wed have to pay for our 10 day tickets and extra 1 day tickets for everyone, which again is insane for a family of 7 (6 paying).

So, how bad should I expect it to be? How big are the price increases?

wdwrich
05-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Holiday pricing = Holiday gouging.

Just my 2 cents.

ShellyLynn3630
05-21-2008, 07:34 AM
Holiday pricing = Holiday gouging.

Just my 2 cents.

So true!

Freyja
05-21-2008, 07:36 AM
Youre freaking me out! Is it that bad? By how much should I expect to increase my dining budget? Does the holiday pricing only apply to TS places or CS as well?

megveg
05-21-2008, 10:18 AM
Youre freaking me out! Is it that bad? By how much should I expect to increase my dining budget? Does the holiday pricing only apply to TS places or CS as well?

Well for some reason the end of may and june are holiday priced? and this is what I have for info

Ohanas Character buffet was 18.99 per adult and "Holiday Pricing" is 22.99 per adult.

I think its just for buffets? but dont quote me, if you ask Disney Dining when you make your ADRs they can tell you price changes:)

aribelle
05-21-2008, 10:36 AM
I had figured there would be a surcharge for Thanksgiving Day though I've not yet seen it posted....so after reading this I decided to hunt around Allears for information about surcharges last T-day. Oh vey, did I learn a few things!

According to Allears (http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/men_thks.htm) LAST YEAR many of the restaraunts had special meals/buffets specifically for Thanksgiving Day and some weren't serving their full regular menu. For instance, 50s Prime Time Cafe was doing a buffet with "limited" a la carte regular menu.

Anyone know what was on the buffett? I don't think I've ever read that Prime Time HAD a buffett. Is it traditional Thanksgiving stuff, turkey, ham, etc....or is it their regular menu but on an all you can eat style? We wanted the pot roast and chicken pot pie, not turkey! I had figured on paying a couple dollars more, but I hadn't figured on not being able to get the food that we wanted. May need to rethink even eating onsite if they're changing the menu and style of eating. I'm not fond of buffets for lunch or dinner....breakfast is ok, but I prefer not buffet later in the day.

Oh boy....now I'm gonna have to rethink all this again. I'm starting to think maybe I should just go ahead and go see grandma in Tampa for thanksgiving....it'd be free (LOL) and yet the same food I'll apparently be getting at Disney. We were hoping to spend time with Grandma later in the month without the 30 extras she drags in off the street for holiday meals, though.

love_mickey
05-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Thats insane. Especially since we cant get the dining plan since were staying the first week offsite and the second week onsite. Wed have to pay for our 10 day tickets and extra 1 day tickets for everyone, which again is insane for a family of 7 (6 paying).

So, how bad should I expect it to be? How big are the price increases?

I have heard the prices are higher by far.We are going back to disney in december was there last year and 5 of us went my youngest son didnt count cause under 3 i left my baby girl at home with her great grand mother any way am going back in december of this year and there will be 11 to 12 of us and out of those is 6 children so what we are going to do is get our room and split the cost of the extra room thought about getting a time share or something but decided not to we are going to stay 7 days on site magic hrs are great mayb that is something you would like to do is split the cost between everyone:) jusst a idea :) pixiedust:

puzzles
05-21-2008, 12:26 PM
We'll be there Dec 7-14. Will it still be holiday time pricing? Gosh, I hope not!

sdickison
05-21-2008, 12:59 PM
The other posts are correct. They will up the price not only for Thanksgiving Day but for the entire Thanksgiving week. I have a friend that works at O'Hana, and he told me they upped the price on the regular meal for the week to the same higher price of the Thanksgivng Day offerrings.

We will be at WDW from 11/25-12/09, when should I expect holiday prices? Just on Thanksgiving day, the whole week, the entire two weeks?

I had never heard of holiday prices until today so Im kind of stressed out...

Freyja
05-21-2008, 01:08 PM
I have heard the prices are higher by far.We are going back to disney in december was there last year and 5 of us went my youngest son didnt count cause under 3 i left my baby girl at home with her great grand mother any way am going back in december of this year and there will be 11 to 12 of us and out of those is 6 children so what we are going to do is get our room and split the cost of the extra room thought about getting a time share or something but decided not to we are going to stay 7 days on site magic hrs are great mayb that is something you would like to do is split the cost between everyone:) jusst a idea :) pixiedust:

Splitting the cost isnt really an option, considering that 5 of us are our own kids (oldest 14) and then DH and I, which are "splitting" the cost anyway.

disneegrl4eva
05-25-2008, 07:20 PM
I had figured there would be a surcharge for Thanksgiving Day though I've not yet seen it posted....so after reading this I decided to hunt around Allears for information about surcharges last T-day. Oh vey, did I learn a few things!

According to Allears (http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/men_thks.htm) LAST YEAR many of the restaraunts had special meals/buffets specifically for Thanksgiving Day and some weren't serving their full regular menu. For instance, 50s Prime Time Cafe was doing a buffet with "limited" a la carte regular menu.

I saw that too...however, on wdwinfo it indicates virtually the same thing except there are specific dates attatched to the special pricing...for this past year it was 11/18-11/24 which would have been from sun. the week of Thanksgiving through friday day after thanksgiving...

http://www.wdwinfo.com/holidays/Thanksgiving.htm

and according to this it says 50's prime time will have the thanksgiving menu plus the regular menu...
Disney MGM - Studios

50's Prime Time Cafe '07

11:00am - Varies

Price (not including beverage, tax and gratuity):

$24.99 - ages 10 and up

$9.99 - ages 3-9

Feature Menu

Chef's traditional Thanksgiving dinner including dessert. Regular a la carte menu is available.

RMulieri
05-26-2008, 06:49 AM
Disney has added the "holiday surcharge" not just on holidays.The surcharge is and can include weeks surrounding holidays.Weeks that Disney considers prime vacationing time.It usually applies only to character dining and buffets.there was a post awhile ago that had the specific details as to what weeks are considered holiday pricing.

MUDisneyCouple
05-26-2008, 08:03 AM
We are going during the holiday season (Dec) and wanted to get the DDP...you can stll use the DP, right? Your gratuity will just be higher...right?:confused3

VrBchJ
05-26-2008, 08:10 AM
At least there's a Holiday in Dec. "Holiday" pricing in June is ridiculous.

Freyja
05-26-2008, 09:10 AM
We are going during the holiday season (Dec) and wanted to get the DDP...you can stll use the DP, right? Your gratuity will just be higher...right?:confused3

Yes you can. And the good thing is that the DDP prices are the same.

Liltx
05-26-2008, 09:22 AM
I know the Princess Storybook has holiday prices in June are there any others?

I think it is crazy. What holiday is in June for goodness sakes? It's not like they are serving a special menu. But of course they know we will pay since little girls love the princesses. :headache:

Monica

drcandon
05-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Welcome to make money the Disney way...the holiday gouging stops in December usually the first week until a few days before Christmas so you have a window of opportunity. But, be aware that the gouging continues with what now Disney call premium priced days and events..for example the MMCP is much higher priced on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, then on other mid week days and Disney is considering if they have not already done it, increasing the price of buffets/table meals in the affected park (Magic Kingdom) during that time.

Same thing during premium days at the holloween event....

Now during Christmas week itself everything is in premium mode days...

I would like to say that this is just Disney being a pain, but if you look at the cruise industry - they are nickel and diming you to death as well...

Don't be too surpried if Disney transportation becomes an "ADD ON" in the future what with the price of gas..again the cruise industry and most air carriers already have added on a "gas tax"....

No to get to whiney, but I wish my wages would keep pace...

And for right now the DDP does cover the increase cost..but again..don't be surprised int he future if they add a premium cover option to that plan...

RMulieri
05-26-2008, 10:59 AM
even though there are no official holidays in June.The "holiday" pricing is in effect because it is what disney considers prime travel time so they charge more.Most of the buffets /character meals are subject to this surcharge during those times.

hildarumpole
05-26-2008, 11:14 AM
My local restaurants have special holiday menus with higher prices, but they serve higher cost food and they don't try to claim an entire month is a holiday. Disney isn't putting lobster tail on the buffets the whole month of June. I understand the whole economics of supply and demand, but Disney is pushing the point at the restaurants. :(

Stitchfans
05-26-2008, 11:44 AM
When we were there this past March we paid $8 more per person for The Garden Grill. That was the highest one. All the rest ranged between $4 to $6 more dollars. Really steamed me but as crowded as it was it was the only way we could see the characters without standing in very very long lines. :(

Freyja
05-26-2008, 11:59 AM
When we were there this past March we paid $8 more per person for The Garden Grill. That was the highest one. All the rest ranged between $4 to $6 more dollars. Really steamed me but as crowded as it was it was the only way we could see the characters without standing in very very long lines. :(

To be honest, I think thats outrageous. That would mean I would pay somewhere around $40-50 extra + extra tips for my family.

Liltx
05-26-2008, 12:56 PM
So is there a list of all of the rest. with holiday pricing? I want to know this before I get the bill at these buffets.

Monica

Freyja
05-26-2008, 01:04 PM
So is there a list of all of the rest. with holiday pricing? I want to know this before I get the bill at these buffets.

Monica

Im not sure where you will find a list but Ive been told the holiday pricing applies to most all TS (and character meal) restaurants.

Liltx
05-26-2008, 01:23 PM
I just called them and checked all of my ADR's. It seems to only be the buffets. Oh BTW it's called "seasonal pricing" La De Da. What it boils down to is $4 increase for each adult buffet and $2 for each child. So $12 extra for each meal for us not including tip. They know you will not cancel because of your children.

I don't know exactly how much difference for the Princess storybook because I cannot find current prices. The seasonal pricing for lunch is $34.99 and 20.99 for kids. That seems like an awful lot for lunch and a picture IMO. I will have to think about that one.

About a $75 increase for us overall.

Monica

aribelle
05-26-2008, 02:14 PM
I just called them and checked all of my ADR's. It seems to only be the buffets. Oh BTW it's called "seasonal pricing" La De Da. What it boils down to is $4 increase for each adult buffet and $2 for each child. So $12 extra for each meal for us not including tip. They know you will not cancel because of your children.

I don't know exactly how much difference for the Princess storybook because I cannot find current prices. The seasonal pricing for lunch is $34.99 and 20.99 for kids. That seems like an awful lot for lunch and a picture IMO. I will have to think about that one.

About a $75 increase for us overall.

Monica

Did they tell you the dates of this "season"? Is it just Thanksgiving week or the whole month? When I made my ADRs for the week before Thanksgiving, I wasn't told there was any special pricing involved. Depending on the dates I may just rebook my characters meals to after Thanksgiving if that's gonna be cheaper. Paying more for crowded times doesn't do much for the cheapskate in me, lol.

traviesojmt
05-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Monica

Well, I did cancel Ohana and Chef Mickey's due to the price increase. I just can't see spending more for Chef Mickey's than I was spending at Jiko or Le Cellier. The only "surcharge" restaurants that we kept were CTR ( I would have cancelled that but is is my daughter's birthday so I sucked that one up) and Trail's End Buffet. Also, instead of replacing Chef Mickey's and Ohanas with a Disney restaurant, we are eating off-site for the first time. I realize that the restaurants will still be full, but they did lose some of MY money.

Local_Girl
05-26-2008, 05:19 PM
So can someone clarify this...the buffet/character meals are "seasonal" priced for a range of dates (as per the WDWinfo site) over Thanksgiving week, correct? But several other TS restaurants offer a holiday meal on Thanksgiving day only, for a set price, and the rest of the week they offer their regular menu, at their regular prices? Sure makes it hard to plan, especially if the info is unclear :confused3 , and you're budget minded...;) Thanks to anyone who can clear this up! :)

septbaby
05-26-2008, 05:37 PM
The Holiday pricing is primarily at the Character and Buffet meals.

PP is correct it is $2 more per child and $4 more per adult.

Get the Dining Plan for your trip and it is a moot point. The cost of the DP is not raised during these peak times.

This is a supply and demand move. Disney will sell out the TS restaurants at these prices or the std prices. Raising the prices is a way to make those not on the DP carefully consider TS vs CS.

This move is not different than the oil companies, airlines or hotels raising prices at these times of year as well. We may not like what Disney is doing, but its common industry practice. At least with the DP Disney gives you a savings option those other companies don't do that.

If you only plan to do 1-2 TS meals just pick ones you know you're family will enjoy, know you're paying a premium to eat there, scream before you arrive so you can enjoy your time at Disney. Don't stress before and while you're there; not a vacation. :thumbsup2

Liltx
05-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Did they tell you the dates of this "season"? Is it just Thanksgiving week or the whole month? When I made my ADRs for the week before Thanksgiving, I wasn't told there was any special pricing involved. Depending on the dates I may just rebook my characters meals to after Thanksgiving if that's gonna be cheaper. Paying more for crowded times doesn't do much for the cheapskate in me, lol.

Sorry, I'm not sure about Thanksgiving. We are going mid June. I was not told about the rate increase when I booked either. If they would have told me I probably would have done more regular TS not buffets. Too late for that now I'm sure. I am going to cancel Cape May breakfast, $22.99 is a bit much. I will probably skip Ohana as well. The sad thing is that I will probably just play it by ear thus the ARD might not get used by someone else. That is the position they put me in though. If we are not REALLY hungry at that point we will skip it. I will probably skip Cape May dinner too. $150 with tip but not including alcohol is not worth it IMO. No way I am paying $14.99 for my 3 and 5 year old when there are no characters.

Monica

RMulieri
05-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Ok..for the summer travllers....from Deb wills site, Holiday pricing in effect from 5/25/08-7/5/08.The fall holiday pricing is not announced yet, but last year was,Thanksgiving WEEK and DEC 16,2007-January 5,2008.I would expect to see something similar this year.