PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant Marrakesh is it that bad?

Poppinsme
05-20-2008, 08:38 PM
DH and I love middle eastern and mediterranean food so how good is Marrakesh? Or how about Spoodles instead? Opinions.

marriedtodisneylover
05-20-2008, 08:49 PM
I can't speak for Marrakesh but we have eaten at Tangierine Cafe twice (2005 and 2007). First time in 2005 was amazing! I love middle eastern food - I can eat it everyday! We went back in 2007 because of how much we loved it in 2005. It was a disappointment. Portions were half the size - in 2005 I couldn't finish my plate and in 2007 I was ready for a snack an hour later. I also didn't find it as fresh.

Dale-Not-Chip
05-20-2008, 08:53 PM
Last time we ate there we really enjoyed it. We have reservations there for the first of July. So we will know if it lives up to the last time then.

tchrrx
05-20-2008, 09:04 PM
We have eaten at Marrakesh twice and love it!

PrincessKitty1
05-20-2008, 09:22 PM
DH and I ate at Marrakesh once, and we were very disappointed in the food--it was totally bland and unspiced. However, I have since read on the Dis boards that you can ask to have your meal authentically spiced! :)

The restaurant is truly beautiful, with all the tiny mosaic tiles, and we loved the music and belly dancer (more traditional than the music outside-Mo-Rockin'--but still fun!). It's definitely worth trying for the whole experience.

djlexus
05-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Ive been there in the past year and it was good. the only thing I dident like was the rotisserie chicken and the lamb rotisserie.

mountdew1
05-21-2008, 08:10 AM
I finally found someone willing to eat there with me in January. We liked the food and service alot. The staff was very attentative, and the food was plentiful. My DF and I split the combo app and each got the mint tea. I think they brought out about 3 loafs of bread, and we each got 4 or 5 refills on the tea. We got a full meal that was very satisfying. It may have been a tad on the underseasoned side, but never having "real" Moroccan before, (or any other Moroccan for that matter) I have no idea if it was or not.

Clotho
05-21-2008, 08:43 PM
"that bad"?!

NO WAY!

It's delicious!
Great food, the service was good, and the dancing and music was great, but far too short. We love the decor, and really enjoyed it.

PrincessKitty1
05-21-2008, 09:39 PM
I should add that DH and I ate at Spoodles a couple of months ago and were unimpressed. Our food was just OK, the restaurant was just one cavernous room with nothing particularly outstanding or attractive about it, and the service was just fair.

This past weekend we were at WDW and instead of doing a table service at dinner Friday night, we walked over to Spoodles during Illuminations and bought a couple of pieces of pizza by the slice and a beer (DH) and a glass of sangria (me) and sat outside at the Boardwalk tables. It was much cheaper than a table service (despite my glass of sangria costing 7 bucks!:scared1: ) and we had a blast people watching. The roving pianist (piano-on-a-bike) stopped near us and played a Scott Joplin song DH requested. We looked out at the water and all the lights and felt like we were in paradise!

Aimeedyan
05-21-2008, 10:14 PM
What do you mean 'is it that bad'? Did you read a bunch of bad reviews?

I think it's quite good - not as authentic as I'd like but very tasty, great atmosphere, very relaxing, and fun entertainment. I can't imagine why anyone would call it bad.

Spoodles is good but really not mediterranean IMO. If you're looking for middle eastern food, that wouldn't be the spot to go.

(If you want to just eat CS, Tangierine Cafe is excellent and a fantastic value)

Tiger926
05-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Marrakesh isn't bad at all, not sure where you got that from? This is my favourite restaurant, so I've eaten here many times, just last week in fact! Still great food, fabulous service and awesome entertainment. The counter service Tangierine Cafe is the only CS (besides Earl of S) that I will eat. Both places have a good menu and the desserts are really yummy too!!

Spoodles on the other hand is horrible - just ate there 9 days ago. Bad food, horrible service despite restaurant being empty. They played Moroccan music, yet there really is not much of that theme in the place, nor on the menu. They only have lamb as an appetizer, not as an entree, WTH?

Anyway, I absolutely would not waste my time, nor money on Spoodles -there is no comparison between it and Marrakesh at all.

Happy eating, Tiger :)

ransom
05-22-2008, 09:49 AM
It's been my understanding from reading posts on the DIS for the last couple of years that the people who get up the courage to try Marrakesh tend to like it. Perhaps that's because those willing to try it also tend to be more adventurous and therefore more likely to enjoy it, or perhaps it's just good food that anyone would appreciate.

My conclusion, though, was that it's worth trying. So we got an ADR for our trip last December, then had to cancel at the last minute because we decided to add an MVMCP on that night instead. But we've set up an ADR for our upcoming trip this November, and we plan to stick to it. :thumbsup2

D&R love Disney
05-22-2008, 09:56 AM
It's been one of our favorites for a long time.

madalex
05-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Marrakesh is a fine restaurant. It's not a "must do" for us on every trip to WDW, but we certainly return them every few years.

Wildflowerz
05-22-2008, 10:40 AM
We love it. We're gonna probably try Tangerine out this year, but the food in Marrakesh is about like the Moroccan food we get here at home at local places and at Imperial Fez (not sure if that's a chain, but we have one here in Atlanta). The atmosphere's definitely up to par with Imperial Fez except they have actual chairs instead of pillows for seating at Epcot.

mickeyluv'r
05-22-2008, 11:28 AM
WE have enjoyed it when we ate there. WE alo like the Tangierine Cafe. Not the best Med food I've ever had, but still good. I do wish TC had better bread though...

My sister ate at Spoodles many years ago and found it so-so. Last month she dined agian and said it was great.

anabelle
05-22-2008, 11:34 AM
DH and I ate at Marrakesh once, and we were very disappointed in the food--it was totally bland and unspiced. However, I have since read on the Dis boards that you can ask to have your meal authentically spiced! :)

I didn't know you could ask to have it spiced. I thought the same thing, it is not spicy enough. Kind of bland

I wasn't very amused with the belly dancer we had. She was not very animated. We did have lovely conversation with another couple seated next to us. The tables are right on top of each other, so it is hard not to hear what everyone is saying.

Hopefully
05-22-2008, 11:40 AM
We love both Marrakesh and the Tangerine Cafe. Marakesh is a must do for us each trip. The restau4rant is beautiful, the servers are warm and friendly and the food is good. We enjoy the band and the belly dancer as well.
The Sharma (sp) sandwich at the Tangerine Cafe is great.
I have not eaten at Spoodles so I can not offer any advice there. There menu does not call out to me.
Have a Great Trip

TaraPA
05-22-2008, 12:02 PM
I know we're talking Restaraunt Marrakesh here but I just have to post this pic of the WONDERFUL lunch I had at Tangierine Cafe 2 weeks ago. It was my favorite meal overall in Disney. I wasn't expecting too much from counter service but this sampling of items was incredible. Each food had it's own unique flavor & spices. I can't wait to go back & try Marrakesh!

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o228/TaraDPA/IMG_3042.jpg

poohbear158
05-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Hubby and I both enjoy it. We try to eat there at least once every Disney trip.

bucky1023
05-22-2008, 04:38 PM
I've been there a few times and always enjoyed my meal. We have been very lucky to have wonderful servers and my nephew LOVES the bread.

You won't know if you like it until you try.

WDWNicole
05-23-2008, 11:02 AM
I think the food at Marrakesh is okay, but it's worth it to go for the decor - we really loved that.

We tried Spoodles for the first time in April and it was one of our best meals. The food was great as was the service. DD had to use the potty and I didn't see one anywhere, so I asked a server who wasn't our own where the restrooms were and he walked me all the way there instead of pointing because the restrooms are actually in the adjoining building.

Quiksilvr
05-23-2008, 12:18 PM
The Morroccan food at Marrakesh is good. That's about the best I can say. It isn't great; I've had Morroccan food at any number of "authentic" restaurants and Marrakesh comes nowhere close to those places. That said, I agree with a prior poster that said the decor is worth a visit. It really is something to see. The decor definitely beats the tiny, hole-in-the-wall Morroccan place in the East Village that I used to frequent.

vanillarum
05-23-2008, 02:59 PM
We (me, DW, DS 16, DD 11) were there in Aug. and we all loved it. The food, the service and the entertainment were excellent ! DD got to get up with the bellydancer and dance ! The food was good and the cast members were terrific ! Good luck !! :thumbsup2