PDA

View Full Version : Songs of the South

dbanzai
05-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Do you think we'll ever seen this movie released from the vault again? I've heard rumors the racial connotations may keep Disney from letting it out again. However, considering one of the more popular rides in DL (and WDW for that matter), I would like to know more about what the ride is about. I think it was last put out in theaters when I was about 6-8 years old.

Considering other movies have some siliar issues, I would hope they'd release it... Peter Pan and the scene in the Indian village comes to mind.

DangerMouse
05-20-2008, 12:08 PM
I've given up on them ever releasing it and just found it and downloaded it from bit torrent.

GreatDane
05-20-2008, 12:12 PM
I'd think that there is no way Disney releases it. To put a movie out there that most consider to have serious racial issues makes no sense.

cmhlop72
05-20-2008, 01:57 PM
im watching it on youtube right now:rotfl:

pixiewings71
05-20-2008, 02:54 PM
I highly doubt they will release it at all. DBF found me a copy on DVD that he got from Canada. I don't know where he got it but he found it by doing a search. It's obviously a copy from VHS but I didn't care, I was sooooooooooooooooooooooo happy to get that!! :) I loved that movie as a kid and you know what, I still love it! :) My kids liked it too, we talked about why it's not available and racial issues it contains and they wondered why other movies that are worse are still out. I really couldn't answer that question.

DoomBugger
05-20-2008, 03:14 PM
The fact that Song of the South is now difficult to get on DVD is just political correctness run amock.

jmcalister
05-20-2008, 04:40 PM
When the Disney shareholder's meeting was at the Pond in Anaheim a few years ago, Bob Iger was asked publicly if the movie would be released in the future. He basically said that it would not be. Although this is just personal opinion, I've seen the movie and see nothing wrong with it. When you compare it with most movies and television of today, it just seems ridiculous that Disney will not release a movie suitable for anybody.

vettegirl
05-20-2008, 06:11 PM
I have never seen the movie. The first time I went to DL, and had never heard of Brer Rabbit and didn't know what Splash Mountain was about. I would love to see and have seen copies on ebay for sale.

Disney Ella
05-20-2008, 06:25 PM
My DH got a couple of it a few months ago and we watched it. I really did not see what was wrong with it. It takes place after the civil war so the freed slaves are still living and working on the plantation. The boy's grandmother seems to have a friendly relationship with Uncle Remus and the boy's mother just has a stick up her butt in general. Things were different back then and the movie reflected it, but I expected to see a horribly racist movie and this wasn't it.

stacymomof2
05-20-2008, 06:33 PM
I don't know if I ever saw the movie, but I was kind of sad that my kids had NO clue who Brer Rabbit & Brer Bear were...

It does make the ride seem kind of like...hmmm...I don't get it, when you haven't seen the movie...although I still had a BLAST and loved it! :thumbsup2

dizneekrazee
05-20-2008, 06:55 PM
I have never seen the movie, and would love to have a copy as well. One of my distant cousins got a copy from somewhere over seas years ago and was able to copy it from their format to out dvd format with his special little movie player thing. I have seen them being sold on ebay though for like $40.

Even though I have never seen it, I do have a book, so I did know who Brer Rabbit, Fox, and Bear were.

P.S. The ride is awesome!!

dbanzai
05-20-2008, 07:46 PM
I guess I'll hunt it down online.

On the one side, I beleive to a point in PCness, but it is rampant and excessive at times. When dealing with historic importance, and aren't meant to be offensive when created, I think it should be okay to release something.

In other words, I'd hope they'd choose to release it.

ScrapperKimmyD
05-20-2008, 08:20 PM
I'd heard they won't release it in the USA, so I got one on ebay. Such a great movie!

I'm not sure why this one isn't okay when there are others that are just as bad if not worse as far as PCness goes. Peter Pan, anyone???

tink2dw
05-20-2008, 08:32 PM
I knew the storys of the Ber's long before I saw the movie.

dbanzai
05-21-2008, 10:41 AM
I tried bit torrent and couldn't find it... Is there any certain way to find stuff? I had never used it before.

jemilah
05-21-2008, 10:42 AM
I have had it on my netflix wait list forever...........if they ever give a relase date I will post it.