PDA

View Full Version : Monorail Red (Mark VII) won't be ready for Memorial Day?

S. S. Columbia
05-20-2008, 12:47 AM
From the OC Register:
http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/2008/05/19/monorail-red-opening-delayed-until-air-conditioning-doors-work-properly/

Disney’s first new monorail car in two decades — called the Monorail Red or Mark VII — is still being tested by Disney and no opening date has been announced.
Disney Spokesman John McClintock said today that the new train is still undergoing tests and adjustments. That includes the doors and air conditioning. He said both are working, but just not yet to Disney’s satisfaction.
McClintock said there is no date yet planned for the monorail’s public opening. When asked if the monorail might make it out for this Memorial Day weekend, he said that is “not at all likely."
The Monorail Red’s biggest change is in looks: The first electric cars have blue glass and red stripes that change color in the sunlight. The next two cars will be blue with purple glass and orange with blue glass.
Bench seats will face the windows, allowing visitors a full view of the parks, Downtown Disney and the Disneyland Hotel. The capacity and speed will remain the same.

h/t www.originald.com

dbanzai
05-20-2008, 10:36 AM
Heck, I can live without AC and being locked in the thing for a day! ;)

jrgutknecht
05-20-2008, 11:58 AM
I was in the park May 7-11 and I saw it out on the track at least 4 times - with passengers onboard. I even have a picture (at home) to prove it. So I'm not sure what the delay is, but they WERE running it during the day while the park was open a couple weeks ago.

DangerMouse
05-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Our VIP tour guide told us that they were only allowing CM's to ride it and it has not been cleared by OSHA for guests as passengers. Perhaps you were seeing CM's on board?

stacymomof2
05-20-2008, 05:25 PM
They were testing it last week...only CM's were on that we saw. While in the DtD station, they were having problems opening the door to the front door and then one time it got stuck at the station (we were at the TomorrowLand station and sat on the train for a good 20 minutes before giving up)

The fact that they are delaying the opening doesn't surprise me at all.

It sure is pretty though!!

Albort
05-20-2008, 07:21 PM
That is correct, Disneyland CMs are like the test bunnies... kinda sad.

2 of the previews were actually cancelled actually due to problems with the monorail.