PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant Akershus vs Akershus Royal Banquet Hall

SelfEmployedDebtFree
05-19-2008, 06:37 PM
We ate at Restaurant Akershus in the Norway Pavilion in Epcot several years ago. We absolutely LOVED the food. It had all kinds of fish and seafood.
When they changed it to a character meal I was really upset.
The new menu looked so much more "Americanized", and not too authentic.

Here's my question:
has anyone ate at BOTH the old and the new? Is the new more bland as I expect? It seems every time a good restaurant opens up with really unusual food, people complain and soon its just like every other restaurant. "Americanized". Is this what happened here? I haven't been able to pull myself back in there since they changed it.

Figaro
05-19-2008, 08:12 PM
We too loved Akershus before it became Princess meals and have eaten there one time only after the change. The food is nowhere as good as it was prior to the change to all princesses all the time. :) It is no longer on our must do list, which just leaves us room to try other restaurants instead.

SelfEmployedDebtFree
05-20-2008, 12:13 AM
I was afraid thats what happened. :guilty:

browntrout
05-20-2008, 02:04 AM
My entree a couple weeks ago at lunch was wonderful and authentic. The cold bar is not as good as it used to be though. Still if it wasn't for our two dd's doing the princess lunch there's no way I would pay that price for the food.

acourtwdw
05-20-2008, 06:20 AM
Does it still have the all the fish and that delish mac and cheese?

Cheshire Figment
05-20-2008, 08:54 AM
It has gone seriously downhill.

There are only about 12 items on the kaltbord, only two types of herring, and they have increased the prices considerably due to princesses.

DisneyDuo
05-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Yes, this was one of our favorite restaurants and a must do for every trip - before the princesses!

Now we don't bother ;-(

I understand the business reasons for converting this restaurant to all princesses all the time, but for those of us who loved the original it is very sad.

Lin

SelfEmployedDebtFree
05-20-2008, 11:30 PM
only two types of herring NOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo!!!:scared1: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: That was my favorite part. The REALLY odd thing was I have NEVER EVER tasted a Herring ANYWHERE ELSE that I even liked, but theirs was so good, that I enjoyed almost all of them a lot. When a restaurant is so good that it can get you to eat things that you don't eat anywhere else, thats a good sign.
I love my DD and all, and she's really into the whole princess thing, but (and please... no flames) the idea of being in a room full of "princesses" scares me.
I can picture the little girl on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory who demands a "TRAIN-ded squir-rel" times about 20, and I can see about 20 of the gum-chewer's mom as well.:rotfl2: :lmao:

Katiebell
05-21-2008, 12:01 AM
NOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo!!!:scared1: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: That was my favorite part. The REALLY odd thing was I have NEVER EVER tasted a Herring ANYWHERE ELSE that I even liked, but theirs was so good, that I enjoyed almost all of them a lot. When a restaurant is so good that it can get you to eat things that you don't eat anywhere else, thats a good sign.
I love my DD and all, and she's really into the whole princess thing, but (and please... no flames) the idea of being in a room full of "princesses" scares me.
I can picture the little girl on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory who demands a "TRAIN-ded squir-rel" times about 20, and I can see about 20 of the gum-chewer's mom as well.:rotfl2: :lmao:

Well, when we were there -- just DH and I, no kids -- it was really lovely. The breakfast was very good, the server was excellent, and Akershus is just beautiful inside. The princesses were gracious and sweet, and the little girls were very cute, many dressed as their favorite princesses, and most were on their very best behavior. I can't think of one kid we saw who was being bratty or obnoxious. Most were just in awe of the princesses and delighted when they got to chat with them. There was only one little girl we saw dressed as Snow White, and when Snow came through, she made extra time to chat with that little girl, and you could just see how thrilled the little girl was.

Quicklabs
05-21-2008, 02:35 AM
Yes, this was one of our favorite restaurants and a must do for every trip - before the princesses!

Now we don't bother ;-(

I understand the business reasons for converting this restaurant to all princesses all the time, but for those of us who loved the original it is very sad.

Lin

Sadly, no more.

Mackey Mouse
05-21-2008, 05:18 AM
We liked the food and always went to Akershus before it became the Princesses' breakfast and we have not gone back. We wondered ourselves how much their meal had changed..

Cap.Steamboat Willie
01-09-2009, 06:01 PM
It seems every time a good restaurant opens up with really unusual food, people complain and soon its just like every other restaurant. "Americanized". Is this what happened here? I haven't been able to pull myself back in there since they changed it.

I made the same comment the first time I returned once they had made all the changes.

Yes, it was much, much better before. They offered both a cold and hot walk up buffet that contained very traditional cuisine. I was in heaven. I loved the fact that I could just take a small sample of a vast array of foods from that culture. It truly was what I believe these restaurants should represent - a unique gastronomic slice of the home country.

Unfortunately this kept away many people who have more pedestrian-"Americanized" tastes. Whenever we would go there before it turned into a "princess playground" you could always just walk in (without reservations) and be seated right away. It was always quite empty. I knew that Disney could never allow that to exist. It was just a matter of time.

I think that Disney made very profitable changes. It did make traditional "American- Taste" dishes with a Norway name (pasta, meatloaf, broiled fish). The place now is always crowded with families who bring their daughters to meet-and-greet their idols. The young girls could not care less what was on the menu. The parents pay off is seeing the expressions on their child's face. "Win-Win?" well....

I live in New York City and I know that I am spoiled and that my views are jaded. I can take a short cab ride to any of the various neighborhoods and partake of 100's of unique ethnic cuisines. I just can't help but to remember what they had and tossed too much away in order to grab a larger market.

I keep hoping that they would add maybe two or three more traditional items back on to their menu even if it just makes it onto the walk up.

I ranted long enough...

SelfEmployedDebtFree
01-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Very well said Capt. Steamboat Willie!:thumbsup2
The "American Tastes" ruin it for everyone. If people want "Americanized tasting" food, there are FAR more than enough restaurants both in Disney and throughout the rest of the USA to cater to their "average" tastes. Please understand. Thats a good thing. I just think it sucks when they take a good restaurant and make it more appealing to everyone. I look at it like this... I'm sure if you brought the entire population of Norway here to the US they would have preferred it stay like it was. I feel really confident that they would have appreciated the authenticity. Those of us who have brave taste buds crave more exciting foods. I wish I could go on a trip with Anthony Bourdaine or Andrew Zimmern just once. Now, granted... I couldn't handle HALF of what Zimmern eats, but the other half I would probably enjoy.
I just hate it anytime a good authentic restaurant sells out to boring tastes. Just like San Angel Inn. It gets lots of bad reviews because most Americans think that refried beans, sour cream, lettuce, and Taco Bell sauce are basic staple Mexican foods. They taste some more authentic Mexican food at San Angel Inn, and they think it's bad. No, its NOT bad. Its just not what they are used to!!!:mad: Just because it don't taste like your local Mexican restaurant don't mean it's not good!!! I've been to Mexico many times. I can assure you that AUTHENTIC Mexican food is AMAZING! Its the Tex Mex stuff that they are used to that don't taste right! Now Disney has gone and cheapened the experience with cheap Americanized tortilla chips and Americanized salsa.
Oh well. At least we still have Boma for some unusual tastes.
I live in New York City and I know that I am spoiled and that my views are jaded. I can take a short cab ride to any of the various neighborhoods and partake of 100's of unique ethnic cuisines. I just can't help but to remember what they had and tossed too much away in order to grab a larger market.
I envy you for being able to get a good ethnic meal when you want. I don't have that option where I live. I also don't have those crazy NY drivers though...:rolleyes:

ms*mountaineer
01-09-2009, 09:29 PM
I have not eaten at Akerhus for dinner so I can't comment on the food. But I will comment on the "princess factor". We have found the atmosphere to be very charming and civilized with the characters going from table to table. It's not a madhouse at all. The princesses just visit from table to table saying hello and posing for pictures if you like. If you are going for the food, I wouldn't think you'd be put off by the characters (or the little girls).