PDA

View Full Version : Any difference in Rain Forest Cafes?

lazydazy8
05-19-2008, 07:09 AM
I'm not sure whether or not to book at AK or DTD... Does anyone know if there are any differences? It's been years since I've been and I'm not sure which one it was that I was at!

TIA!

Robert P
05-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Food is the same. Atmosphere the same.

The AK location is usually less crowded, and less hectic in the queu area. Alot more foot traffic, and activity, at the DTD location.

On a personal note, it seems to me that the tables are closer together at DTD. Seems like we are always right on top of the table next to us there.

DisneyMusician2
05-19-2008, 08:36 AM
Also, DTD is just a pain in the butt to get to and from if you don't have a car. The busses go there, but it really extends the trip.

AK is a better way to go, if you could manage it.:thumbsup2

beccasmom
05-19-2008, 12:18 PM
I think only the AK location takes reservations, but I'm not sure about that. It is usually much less crowded. The DTD location is always packed, it seems. The food is the same.

Hootch
05-19-2008, 12:40 PM
from Sarasota Springs to DTD if you are staying at SS. You can make something similar to an ADR at the RFC in DTD. Call the restaurant directly. Once there you check in at the desk out front and they direct you to one of two lines. The number is 407-933-2800 if you want to go there. The one in DAK has ADRs through normal Disney Dining.

Tartan Tigger
05-19-2008, 12:40 PM
I think only the AK location takes reservations, but I'm not sure about that. It is usually much less crowded. The DTD location is always packed, it seems. The food is the same.

I've got a reservation booked at the Downtown Disney Rainforest Cafe for July.

penjen
05-19-2008, 01:24 PM
We've been to both the only thing I didn't like about the AK one is we went at AK closing and were there for about two hours. We went to get the bus and stood there for more than a half hour waiting we were ready to get a taxi since everything was deserted (didn't even see taxi). That was the last time I decided to *do* dinner after park closing.

I agree with others that the DTD RFC is busier but if you were going to DTD anyway I would just go there.

lazydazy8
05-19-2008, 02:59 PM
We're staying at Old Key West, so we have water access to DTD. Transportation won't be a problem there. I think I will make an ADR at AK based on what you guys have suggested. I do remember the one at DTD being really really crowded when we walked by last year. I'll keep the park closing in mind and book lunch!

Thanks so much!

tedisney
05-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Pre kid, the Rain Forest at DTD was our dinner on the first night of every trip. (replaced by Crystal Palace for obvious kid reasons) :)

There is a deck out back where you can eat that not many people know about. They have their own seating priority, so skip the long line at the elephant out front, head back to the left along the (fake) rocks, and you'll find the outside line back behind the restaurant. The whole area is on the water, which has a nice view and you can watch the boats coming and going.