PDA

View Full Version : Question about appetizers

Trina7020
05-18-2008, 02:37 PM
We are on the DxDDP FYI

When we go out to a restaurant at home and order an appetizer it is more than enough for our family of 4 to share. Is it the same way at Disney restaurants? If we all order an appetizer is it going to be a TON of food?

TDC Nala
05-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Most likely. Appetizers are, while not enormous portions, a good bit of food. Plus, you're all entitled to an entree and dessert. You can always take some food with you.

If it's just your family, I see you have a three year old (who would be on the children's plan) and a two year old (who wouldn't be on the plan at all) so if you just have two adults getting appetizers, that shouldn't be too bad. Plus you could share with the two year old.

Trina7020
05-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Yeah... just the 4 of us. It is really why we upgraded to DxDDP... we are in one of those situations where we are there 7 full days (arriving early and leaving late) with only 6 nights so we can spread our credits out a bit. Plus my 2 year will be nearly 3... so we does actually eat. More food to share with him on DxDDP.

Most of our meals are honestly buffets/family style character meals... works out great with a nearly 3 year old who eats for free there

But we are having Dinner at LeCelliar, WCC, & Tony's

momandseandodisney
05-18-2008, 03:53 PM
ya without the Appitizer on the DDP this year, I plan just to order 1 or 2 app's for the 4 of us to share . . .

Anyone else do this?

thelobstershanty
05-18-2008, 04:11 PM
All depends on the appetizer and the restaurant. If you are in one of WDW's nicer TS restaurants and you order a seafood appetizer--do not expect it to big-at all. For examaple if you order a shrimp cocktail you will be lucky if you get 4 shrimp, or at Flying Fish if you order the crab cake appetizer (which is excellent btw), you get 1 crab cake and it is not very big--but it is delicious.

srdipert
05-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Our family will be like yours which is also a reason we upgraded to the Deluxe. Our 2 year old will be 3 months shy of 3 and he really eats better than his 7 year old brother. The apps at Disney for the most part are not like they are at Applebees or Outback where the whole table can share one. So you and your dh will order apps and your older child will be able to order an app from the kids menu which is typically a small lettuce salad or chicken noodle soup. So really you will be sharing two apps between the four of you most of them are small like at Kona the crab cakes are the size of about a half dollar around and you get three of them. But the wings you get about 6-8 so that is a little more to share.

septbaby
05-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Keep in mind for the OP its just two adults, so only two appetizers. It really doesn't have to be a lot of food. It could be that one of you orders a salad and the other a soup to start your meals.

I recall the appetizers at our sit down restaurants:
Coral Reef - crab claw item, wasn't that good nor a large portion, wasn't something I shared though I'm sure I offered

Narcoossee's - Crab cakes were awesome, my mother had the chowder also delicious, we both had bread too (the butter makes it kind of addictive). I was not able to finish my surf & turf(scallops for me instead) nor the kids dessert I ordered, I'd also had a Mango smoothie as my beverage. Honestly, when I substituted the scallops I think they gave me a full entree portion. I was expecting a half portion, but did my best to eat it all!

Narcoossee's was our first night meal, so we set the bar pretty high to start. We had Lunch at Coral Reef the next day. All other TS meals were buffet (Chef Mickey's, Boma, H&V Fantasmic).

Illuminations_Rocks
05-18-2008, 04:32 PM
I think it just depends on what you order.

For instance, you can get the salad or soup. Those aren't really "family-sized" portions. But, you can get like, a flatbread. Ummmm seriously an entire flatbread is not really an appetizer for one person, haha. At CG they have a sonoma goat cheese ravioli (my fave <3) that is just one large ravioli. Not really family sized. But say at MM or Spoodles you can get a breadbasket; that is family sized. Sci-fi, onion rings or artichoke dip w/ tortilla chips are not for one person. Etc, etc.

So.. sometimes they're huge, sometimes they're not.

Corinne
05-18-2008, 04:41 PM
:confused3 I thought they had done away with the appetizer on the DDP? Are you talking about the Deluxe Dining Plan?

TDC Nala
05-18-2008, 04:53 PM
:confused3 I thought they had done away with the appetizer on the DDP? Are you talking about the Deluxe Dining Plan?

The OP refers to the DxDDP, which is most likely the deluxe dining plan.

Adults on the basic plan are not entitled to appetizers, although if they want them they may order and pay for them.

Corinne
05-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks, Nala. I have never seen it referred to in that way before so I was confused, lol!

aripantaloon
05-19-2008, 01:50 PM
IMO, it really depends on what you order and where you are eating. We found on our recent trip that, with some exceptions, the nicer the restaurant, the smaller the portions were. I had the shrimp appetizer at Le Cellier and I got 4 shrimp. Enough to share a taste, but not enough to feed everyone an appetizer portion. DH got a sushi appetizer at Cali Grill that was 6 portions. Plenty for him and definitely enough to share. It really depends.

suzimar57
05-19-2008, 02:08 PM
it does depend on the actual appetizer - but when you add in the breadbasket, you could be full before the entree arrives!