PDA

View Full Version : Which hotel/motel would you pick & why?

vossjemi
05-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Ok, I looked at all the hotels/motels close to disneyland & priced them out. Some had bad reviews on tripadvisor, so I nixed them. Some the cheaper rates were sold out or at least nonexistent. Essentially, I've narrowed it down to 4 places. Please tell which you would pick and why?

1)Hojo 15% disboard/mousesavers discount 2queen/Disney view $135.15/night or pool view $126.65/night. I've seen lots of recommendations for Hojo & am leaning towards a disney view room there, but on the map it looks like the longest walk of all of the hotels. Looks like they will have a great pool area come August. Tripadvisor #5 hotel

2)Candy Cane Inn $134/night 2 queen/ $124 AAA rate not available on my nights. I've seen lots of recommendations for this motel too & its on the same side of the street as disneyland. I read there is a small store next door for water/soda, etc... But, no restaurants real close. Tripadvisor #1 motel

3)Tropicana $131.75/night 2 queen. I've seen some recommendations for this one & it is really really close. Tripadvisor #20

4)Park Vue $131/night for queen/bunk or 2 queen. Seen a few mentions of this hotel & it is really really close. Tripadvisor #16.

So, they are all pricing out pretty close to the same. There were a few other close ones that priced out a little bit higher so I narrowed it to this price range. What one would you pick? Thanks!

LV Disney Fan(atic)
05-17-2008, 11:23 PM
My family and I have been to DL about 6 times in the last 5 years and we always stay at the Candy Cane. It's within walking distance but there's a great shuttle that runs back and forth every 30 min. Free breakfast, pool, friendly staff, beautiful grounds - we love it there! We usually eat in the parks so lack of restaurants hasn't been a problem for us, but there is a little store next door and some fast food places (pizza, chinese, etc.) are across the street. Wish I was going back soon!

Pucka1378
05-18-2008, 01:10 AM
I voted for CCI.. I have not stayed at any other place in the area but, I have stayed there 3 times now. That means I have been extremely happy every time we stayed. We have only stayed for one night sometimes 2.

We walk and use the shuttle and it is great either way you go. We stayed there when my kids were younger(under 5yo) and they have a great kiddie pool that is shallow and allowed me to sit on the side of the pool and let them splash around. It is fully enclosed and away from the main pool and the hot tub. We all loved this feature.

We also really liked that breakfast was included. Nothing fancy(cereal, bread, pastries, fruit)

tink2dw
05-18-2008, 01:29 AM
2)Candy Cane Inn $134/night 2 queen/ $124 AAA rate not available on my nights.

Why add this one if it is not available for your dates?? You will get 1000's of good reviews for CCI but you need to book it 1 to 2 yrs before your planned trip. And it is very, very small for families.

Pucka1378
05-18-2008, 01:49 AM
Why add this one if it is not available for your dates?? You will get 1000's of good reviews for CCI but you need to book it 1 to 2 yrs before your planned trip. And it is very, very small for families.

I think they were saying the AAA rates are not available.

I have always booked CCI a couple months out and had no problems. It is a bit small but really we don't spend anytime in the room so that does not matter to me. We come back exhausted and we are all ready to sleep.. but, we only go for one day or so.. I could see where it would be to small for more then a day or so.

LV Disney Fan(atic)
05-18-2008, 10:12 AM

There are only 3 of us so we don't find the rooms too small at all, and we generally stay at least 3 nights. And I've never booked more than 4 months out. But it probably depends on when you are going. We tend to go when it's not so crowded; summer's are probably impossible!

S. S. Columbia
05-18-2008, 11:14 AM
The HoJo and CCI both provide free access for the internet, but the Tropicana charges $9.95 for 24 hours. (HoJo provides a cable to connect to the back of your laptop, and I believe CCI provides free wireless.)

The Tropicana and CCI include a continental breakfast (not fancy, but they have coffee, orange juice, cereal, pastries, fruit, etc.), while the HoJo does not.

I think the HoJo has a nicer swimming area (although the HoJo's swimming pools are in the middle of a major renovation, and they probably won't be finished until the end of July).

HTH :earsboy:

disneyfaninaz
05-18-2008, 11:27 AM
I usually stay at the CCI and have for about 6 years now. Last year we tried the DLH just to try it and this year we are trying HOJOs because of the Entertainment Rate.

I can recommend CCI very highly, it is a very nice place to stay. The breakfast is nice and the shuttle is great.

vettegirl
05-18-2008, 11:46 AM
I know this one isn't on the list, but if anyone on here is in the military you can stay at the castle inn and suites for $38 a night. We stayed in October and it is a basic hotel but it was clean and very close to the park. We spent all of our time at the parks and this place was fine for a place to rest your sleepy head.

vossjemi
05-18-2008, 02:36 PM

Sorry if it was misinterpreted. The lower AAA rate is not available...guess they sold out at that rate level? Didn't know people could do that. But, they aren't sold out for the regular rack rate of $134 for my nights.

JenDisneylandlver
05-18-2008, 02:40 PM
I said Hojo's, we are staying there for the first time in a few weeks. It's just got such fabulous reviews. I think we'll really enjoy having the Disney view room too. Plus we were able to get the entertainment rate, which is a HUGE plus.

After that I'd go with the Tropicana. We stayed there last year. Nice, clean, enjoyed the pool area. Can't beat the location, it's right there across the street.

vossjemi
05-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Wow, there are actually more in favor of Hojo's right now than CCI, but so far none of the Hojo voters have told me why they would pick Hojo over CCI. I also see only 1 vote each for Tropicana/Park Vue. Since these 2 are so close, they would seem ideal. Are there reasons why we shouldn't stay at one of these 2? If we choose Hojo, I'm hoping the pool renovations would be done by then. We will be staying 2 nights Aug 10 & 11.

vossjemi
05-18-2008, 02:44 PM
I said Hojo's, we are staying there for the first time in a few weeks. It's just got such fabulous reviews. I think we'll really enjoy having the Disney view room too. Plus we were able to get the entertainment rate, which is a HUGE plus.

After that I'd go with the Tropicana. We stayed there last year. Nice, clean, enjoyed the pool area. Can't beat the location, it's right there across the street.

Haha! We posted at the same time, just when I was wondering why no real Hojo comments!

Also, we won't have a laptop or anything like that with us, so having a line to link into isn't necessary. That being said, we would like to print off our SWA boarding passes 24 hours prior to leaving. Will the front desk at any of these hotels do that for us free of charge? I did that at the Poly 3 years ago, but that may be because they were a disney property.

tink2dw
05-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Sorry, I totally misread the CCI line. My bad!

kiwitravel
05-18-2008, 03:59 PM
I voted HoJos because of its value for money and I am keen to try it next year if i can get a good rate. Other than that I would have opted for Tropicanna as its very close and we had a good stay there. Now if Carousel was an option that still is my first pick....

S. S. Columbia
05-18-2008, 03:59 PM
... I also see only 1 vote each for Tropicana/Park Vue. Since these 2 are so close, they would seem ideal. Are there reasons why we shouldn't stay at one of these 2?

I stayed at the Camelot Inn, which is the Tropicana's sister hotel. From my experience, and from what I've heard, if the Tropicana is like the Camelot, then it is also a good choice. It is very clean, good customer service, the continental breakfast is o.k., and according to the Unofficial Guide, the only hotels that are closer than the Tropicana are the GCH and BWPPI.

At the HoJo, I stayed in building #1 (Disney view), and the rooms in building #1 seemed a little bit nicer and a little brighter than the Camelot/Tropicana. I have heard that the CCI has nice rooms, although their rooms aren't very large.

If the Tropicana is like the Camelot Inn, then the landscaping would be minimal (if that makes a difference to you :earsboy:). The grounds and landscaping at the HoJo (and CCI, or so I've heard) are nicer.

SeansMom
05-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Ok, I looked at all the hotels/motels close to disneyland & priced them out. Some had bad reviews on tripadvisor, so I nixed them. Some the cheaper rates were sold out or at least nonexistent. Essentially, I've narrowed it down to 4 places. Please tell which you would pick and why?

1)Hojo 15% disboard/mousesavers discount 2queen/Disney view $135.15/night or pool view $126.65/night. I've seen lots of recommendations for Hojo & am leaning towards a disney view room there, but on the map it looks like the longest walk of all of the hotels. Looks like they will have a great pool area come August. Tripadvisor #5 hotel

2)Candy Cane Inn $134/night 2 queen/ $124 AAA rate not available on my nights. I've seen lots of recommendations for this motel too & its on the same side of the street as disneyland. I read there is a small store next door for water/soda, etc... But, no restaurants real close. Tripadvisor #1 motel

3)Tropicana $131.75/night 2 queen. I've seen some recommendations for this one & it is really really close. Tripadvisor #20

4)Park Vue $131/night for queen/bunk or 2 queen. Seen a few mentions of this hotel & it is really really close. Tripadvisor #16.

So, they are all pricing out pretty close to the same. There were a few other close ones that priced out a little bit higher so I narrowed it to this price range. What one would you pick? Thanks!

Can I say "other" :tinker: Have you looked at the Anaheim Sheraton hotel? It's a bit far to walk but the only hotel with it's own shuttle other than CCI. The rooms are HUGE, and although the bathrooms are a bit small I didn't find them to be any smaller than CCI. AND, unlike the other hotels you mentioned it has inside corriders and feels more "secure" to me. We have almost always booked it for the prices you quote or less. Right now, we have reservations at $116 a night. Just another option you might consider.

princessalexis
05-18-2008, 04:35 PM
I voted HOJO because we just got back from staying there. I've never stayed at any of the other hotels, but I loved the HOJO. It was quiet and the pool area is going to be awesome when it is finished.

I'd read a couple of posts on here that it was a "long" walk, but I really didn't feel that it was bad at all. I'm used to going to WDW, so walking from the HOJO was nothing.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and definitely keep checking to see if you can get the entertainment rate. I checked the day before we left and they had added our dates! You really can't beat $59/night.

Jenn1116
05-18-2008, 06:44 PM
I picked HoJos, because I really did pick it! I haven't stayed at any of the hotels on the list but I've heard such wonderful things about HoJos, and Loreale was just so helpful in answering all of my questions and helping me book, I really feel I made the right choice. The ent. rate really truly can't be beat!!!! :)

lampardcl
05-18-2008, 06:50 PM
I voted Park Vue Inn , location location, and the breakfast was the best i have had when staying in anaheim at a moderate hotel. Fresh fruit , yoghurt, juice ,waffles, toast,oat meal. The Ihop out the front had kids eat free after 4.00pm and we were never disapointed.

DangerMouse
05-18-2008, 07:03 PM
Can I say "other" :tinker: Have you looked at the Anaheim Sheraton hotel? It's a bit far to walk but the only hotel with it's own shuttle other than CCI. The rooms are HUGE, and although the bathrooms are a bit small I didn't find them to be any smaller than CCI. AND, unlike the other hotels you mentioned it has inside corriders and feels more "secure" to me. We have almost always booked it for the prices you quote or less. Right now, we have reservations at $116 a night. Just another option you might consider.

HoJo DOES have inside corridors.

avalon451
05-18-2008, 08:52 PM
HoJo's, 'cause you can't beat the Ent rate for such a nice hotel within 7 minutes of walking. The pool is important to us because of our kids, as is comfortable beds and fridge/microwave for quick breakfasts in the hotel room, and inside corridors for security. And, Lorealle is the nicest, most accomodating manager you can imagine, when you have any questions or needs! She's like an instant friend.:thumbsup2

Sally_fan
05-18-2008, 09:45 PM
I chose HoJos because that IS where we chose to stay for our upcomming trip in October. We chose it based on all the wonderful things that I have read here, the great Ent. Rate that we were able to get for the nights that we are there & the awesome replies that I have recieved from Lorealle via email answering every question that I have pestered her with! lol
That being said, we did stay at the CCI last May & loved it there. I have nothing but good things to say about our stay there & I would definately stay there again!

vossjemi
05-18-2008, 09:58 PM
I voted HoJos because of its value for money and I am keen to try it next year if i can get a good rate. Other than that I would have opted for Tropicanna as its very close and we had a good stay there. Now if Carousel was an option that still is my first pick....

Carousel was $159/night and I'm trying to stay budget as much as possible. I wish I could get better than the $126-135 I'm seeing on the listed hotels, but their rates may be due to our trip being in August.

vossjemi
05-18-2008, 10:03 PM
I stayed at the Camelot Inn, which is the Tropicana's sister hotel. From my experience, and from what I've heard, if the Tropicana is like the Camelot, then it is also a good choice. It is very clean, good customer service, the continental breakfast is o.k., and according to the Unofficial Guide, the only hotels that are closer than the Tropicana are the GCH and BWPPI.

At the HoJo, I stayed in building #1 (Disney view), and the rooms in building #1 seemed a little bit nicer and a little brighter than the Camelot/Tropicana. I have heard that the CCI has nice rooms, although their rooms aren't very large.

If the Tropicana is like the Camelot Inn, then the landscaping would be minimal (if that makes a difference to you :earsboy:). The grounds and landscaping at the HoJo (and CCI, or so I've heard) are nicer.

Thanks for the info! I considered Camelot but their rates were $141.75/night, and my above list was from narrowing down the field based mostly on price. I also considered BWPPI, but all the cheaper rooms must have been sold out because all I could find was a minisuite for $162/night. I don't know that landscaping matters that much. But, I do wonder if I am paying essentially the same price at these 4 hotes/motels, why would I want one of the ones farther away? Hojo/CCI seem the farthest. Hojo no breakfast. So, why is everyone gung ho Hojo? :dance3:

pixiewings71
05-18-2008, 10:07 PM
I didn't vote but I've stayed at all your choices except the Park Vue.
If they are all the same I would stay at the Trop just because it's closest. BUT it is NOT the nicest at all, the nicest would be a tie for me, the HoJo and CCI. They are about the same distance walking but the CCI has a dedicated shuttle.....free shuttle at the end of the day, it's a godsend. LOL So for my family I would pick the CCI or the HoJo. Nicer rooms are the reason why. HoJo rooms are slightly larger than the CCI though, just fyi.

vossjemi
05-18-2008, 10:12 PM

Is it the one on Harbor Boulevard or the one on Disneyland drive? The one on disneyland drive looks like $148/night or $140 w/AAA discount. The one on Harbor Boulevard says no availability with my dates. Looks quite far, you are right there. Not sure I'd want to pay more that the others to be so far away, but thanks for the suggestion.

vossjemi
05-18-2008, 10:15 PM
I voted HOJO because we just got back from staying there. I've never stayed at any of the other hotels, but I loved the HOJO. It was quiet and the pool area is going to be awesome when it is finished.

I'd read a couple of posts on here that it was a "long" walk, but I really didn't feel that it was bad at all. I'm used to going to WDW, so walking from the HOJO was nothing.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and definitely keep checking to see if you can get the entertainment rate. I checked the day before we left and they had added our dates! You really can't beat $59/night.

This is one of the main reasons I'm considering it...the possibility of Ent rate. Maybe for a sun/mond stay they might? So, if I don't have ent book right now, and it gets down to the wire and they have my dates right when I leave, can I buy the book online and actually get the discount? I mean what proof do I need to get it when I arrive or do I need to call before I arrive to make sure I can get the discount?

DangerMouse
05-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the info! I considered Camelot but their rates were $141.75/night, and my above list was from narrowing down the field based mostly on price. I also considered BWPPI, but all the cheaper rooms must have been sold out because all I could find was a minisuite for $162/night. I don't know that landscaping matters that much. But, I do wonder if I am paying essentially the same price at these 4 hotes/motels, why would I want one of the ones farther away? Hojo/CCI seem the farthest. Hojo no breakfast. So, why is everyone gung ho Hojo? :dance3:

Well, these are the reasons I am gung ho:

1. Super comfy new pillowtop beds.
2. Who needs stale pastries and fruit when you have a fridge and micro in your room and can make your own cereal/oatmeal/fruit for breakfast without getting out of your jammies.
3. Pretty grounds with flowers, fountains and twinkly lights in the trees.
4. FREE parking with security guards and very safe feeling property w/indoor corridors.
5. Best off-site pool areas (will be totally over the top by Aug!)
6. MiMi's Cafe right across the street.
7. Excellent customer service. They really do want you to be 100% happy.
8. Opportunity to get all this for $59-$74?? Need I say more??!

And if you're gonna complain about an extra 4 minutes of walking, then go ahead and stay "directly across the street", it will leave more room at the HoJo for me! ;)

vossjemi
05-18-2008, 10:17 PM
I voted Park Vue Inn , location location, and the breakfast was the best i have had when staying in anaheim at a moderate hotel. Fresh fruit , yoghurt, juice ,waffles, toast,oat meal. The Ihop out the front had kids eat free after 4.00pm and we were never disapointed.

This is definitely in the running...as you say...location, location...and we only have 2 days so location is key.

vossjemi
05-18-2008, 10:18 PM
HoJo DOES have inside corridors.

So that I'm clear...CCI, Tropicana, & Park Vue do not have inside corridors? Meaning the door to the room is on the outside of the building? Hmmm.

DangerMouse
05-18-2008, 10:21 PM
So that I'm clear...CCI, Tropicana, & Park Vue do not have inside corridors? Meaning the door to the room is on the outside of the building? Hmmm.

Yes, they are classic "motels", where the door is on the outside of the building, and right outside your door is the parking lot. Most the accommodations on Harbor and Katella are this way since they were originally built in the 50's and 60's.

vossjemi
05-18-2008, 10:22 PM
HoJo's, 'cause you can't beat the Ent rate for such a nice hotel within 7 minutes of walking. The pool is important to us because of our kids, as is comfortable beds and fridge/microwave for quick breakfasts in the hotel room, and inside corridors for security. And, Lorealle is the nicest, most accomodating manager you can imagine, when you have any questions or needs! She's like an instant friend.:thumbsup2

So, where do you get your quick breakfasts to put in the fridge? We will be coming off a cruise ship sunday 8/10 & taking a shuttle to whatever hotel we pick. No rental car for us. Is there anything within walking distance to buy breakfast for the room? This is one reason I'm tempted on the hotels w/free breakfast. Our stay is so short...2 nights/3 days (1st day eating breakfast on the ship) that I don't know that I'm going to have time to shop for food & if I overbuy, it'll just get wasted.

DangerMouse
05-18-2008, 10:25 PM
The HoJo has a little convenience/gift shop that sells cereal, yogurt, fruit, milk, snacks, etc. for breakfast. I believe the Tropicana has a gift shop like that as well.

Right next door to the CCI is a mini-mart (may be a 7-11) where you could pick up some breakfast items.

MiMi's and McDonald's are also both on Harbor on your way to the parks if you are walking from the HoJo. I like to pick up muffins from MiMi's in the evening and have them for breakfast the next day.

vossjemi
05-18-2008, 10:26 PM
I didn't vote but I've stayed at all your choices except the Park Vue.
If they are all the same I would stay at the Trop just because it's closest. BUT it is NOT the nicest at all, the nicest would be a tie for me, the HoJo and CCI. They are about the same distance walking but the CCI has a dedicated shuttle.....free shuttle at the end of the day, it's a godsend. LOL So for my family I would pick the CCI or the HoJo. Nicer rooms are the reason why. HoJo rooms are slightly larger than the CCI though, just fyi.

Thanks! We will have a ton of luggage and souvenirs after just getting off our cruise I'm sure, so larger might be better. Do any of these hotels have laundromat if needed?

vossjemi
05-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Well, these are the reasons I am gung ho:

1. Super comfy new pillowtop beds.
2. Who needs stale pastries and fruit when you have a fridge and micro in your room and can make your own cereal/oatmeal/fruit for breakfast without getting out of your jammies.
3. Pretty grounds with flowers, fountains and twinkly lights in the trees.
4. FREE parking with security guards and very safe feeling property w/indoor corridors.
5. Best off-site pool areas (will be totally over the top by Aug!)
6. MiMi's Cafe right across the street.
7. Excellent customer service. They really do want you to be 100% happy.
8. Opportunity to get all this for $59-$74?? Need I say more??!

And if you're gonna complain about an extra 4 minutes of walking, then go ahead and stay "directly across the street", it will leave more room at the HoJo for me! ;)

1. Comfy beds...love em!:)
2.Cooking in my room...is there a store nearby within walking distance to get my food? If so, great! If not, looks like we'll have to go out to eat for breakfast before the parks because we won't have a car.
3.Pretty grounds w/flowers/lights sounds great!:)
4.Won't have a car, but I do like the idea of indoor corridors.
5. I do like the idea of great pools for the kids. I did hear they were supposed to be ready by end of July, but my dh who is in construction industry, says "well that means it won't be ready by Aug 10....figure about 2 weeks after target date" LOL
6.I do like the idea of good close restaurants.:)
7.Great! Love good customer service!:)
8. Would absolutely LOVE to get this price!:santa:

As far as complaining, I don't know that I've done that. And, frankly, to be honest I really don't know how much of a walk any of these hotels are. I can only view them on Bret's disneyland lodging map to get an idea. I don't know if it will take me 5 minutes or 20. I just lean towards closer since my kids are 6 and 8 and I know will be very tired of walking by the end of the day. Thanks very much for your list! It was much appreciated.:love:

DangerMouse
05-18-2008, 10:45 PM
As far as complaining, I don't know that I've done that. And, frankly, to be honest I really don't know how much of a walk any of these hotels are. I can only view them on Bret's disneyland lodging map to get an idea. I don't know if it will take me 5 minutes or 20. I just lean towards closer since my kids are 6 and 8 and I know will be very tired of walking by the end of the day. Thanks very much for your list! It was much appreciated.:love:

I didn't mean "you" personally, I was using "you" in the general sense. :goodvibes So many people assume that the HoJo is "too far". I have a 6, 8 and 10 year old and it takes us roughly 10 minutes to walk from the HoJo to the security tents in the esplanade. If you cross the street at Manchester and walk on the west side of Harbor, you can cut through the taxi/shuttle area and you won't have to cross the street with the hoards of people at the main crosswalk on Harbor.

I will admit that the walk at night is painful -- but just getting to the shuttle area from the main gates is painful when your feet feel like they weigh 50 lbs each. By the time you're on Harbor, we're talking an extra 4-6 minutes to the HoJo. At that point you gotta "just keep swimming". :goodvibes

vossjemi
05-18-2008, 11:03 PM
I didn't mean "you" personally, I was using "you" in the general sense. :goodvibes So many people assume that the HoJo is "too far". I have a 6, 8 and 10 year old and it takes us roughly 10 minutes to walk from the HoJo to the security tents in the esplanade. If you cross the street at Manchester and walk on the west side of Harbor, you can cut through the taxi/shuttle area and you won't have to cross the street with the hoards of people at the main crosswalk on Harbor.

I will admit that the walk at night is painful -- but just getting to the shuttle area from the main gates is painful when your feet feel like they weigh 50 lbs each. By the time you're on Harbor, we're talking an extra 4-6 minutes to the HoJo. At that point you gotta "just keep swimming". :goodvibes

Thanks for the tip about the shortcut to avoid the hoards of people! I"ll have to remember "keep swimming" to the kids if we do Hojo. I'm really leaning there, and it does seem like the winner of my poll so far...and I know the kids will enjoy the pool area if in fact it is done!::hippie: I would just love to get one of their ent rate deals! That would soooo make my day. We actually hadn't planned on doing Disneyland...just the cruise, but airfare out on Sunday literally would have cost us $700 more than Tues, so I figured for that kind of $, I'd rather spend it at Disneyland than airfare! I know I'll go over those savings once you add in ticket prices, but at least I'll get more for my $!:yay:

pixiewings71
05-19-2008, 10:52 AM
If you're looking for interior corridors then go with the HoJo. My kids are 8 and 11 and they don't complain on the walk back to the room at all. In fact my 11 year old is always out ahead of us so she can push the walk button. LOL Really, the HoJo does have nicer rooms and they are bigger than the CCI, my DBF has Plantar Fascitis so he likes the shuttle at the end of day. :) HoJo has a little store in bldg 1, you can get breakfast stuff there.

Hound 109
05-19-2008, 11:35 AM

My two cents on a few items commented on in this thread:

- TripAdvisor (which is a great site & reference) posters & Dis posters have different items of import. Many disers are looking for 1) value & 2) quick to the park (because many of us are there at opening & take a mid day break. I think TripAdvisor posters might look at how "nice" a place is & amenities & don't mind riding on ART to DL an hour after the park opens.
- If Hojo is $70 & CCI is $130 (which is sometimes the case) most folks here would jump all over Hojo. If both are $130 then maybe CCI (which offers breakfast & a dedicated shuttle that you'll use half the time) is possibly considered a better "value" than HOJO....but both are nice.
- The prettier grounds (it's a pretty motel basically) & the shuttle also evens the playing field for the CCI vrs. the 3-4 motels "at the light". If you have toddlers &/or elderly the shuttle is VERY handy. But the 3-4 motels "at the light" doesn't need a shuttle (but their "grounds" aren't as nice).

Pro's & Con's to each....but all are walking distance & for most Disers (who spend most of their time at the park) all would "work" depending on price & the family make-up.

fwiw, i've stayed at the Fairfield (twice), the CCI & the Paradise Pier (twice). All were good in different ways & I would stay at all 3 again...& I look forward to staying at some point at BW, HOJO, DH & the GCH as well. (depending on the price & our traveling party make-up).

BUT....I won't stay anywhere that it would be hard (or a pain) to get to the DL front gate 30-40 min. before opening.

Have fun. :thumbsup2

vossjemi
05-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the info! I do like the idea of inside corridors; however, I also like the idea of free breakfast and shuttle at the same price. I think the overwhelming HoJo majority is assuming I do end up getting cheaper ent rate price. Right now, Hojo and CCI are approx same price. I guess I need to ck cancel policies of these 2 hotels. If I book one of them now, and cheap ent rate does become available, will I be able to say cancel cci and book hojo? If not, and I do hojo now, do I cancel and re-book hojo at cheaper price or is there a way to add code to already booked ressie so I have written confirmation of price change?

aymekae
05-19-2008, 12:13 PM
My reasons will be different from yours, and I don't know what my opinion is worth as I've never stayed at any of those yet. But I chose Park Vue Inn when making ressies for my "mini-honeymoon" (pokes siggy) immediately after my wedding. I chose it for two reasons. One, they are immediately across the street from Disney's shuttle lot. My last trip, I specifically looked to see where the closest hotel is for the next trip. I guess Tropicana fits that bill, too. My fiance was happy with the IHOP, because he's not a big fan of most continental breakfasts (I am) but I've heard that this is actually a decent one, so we may not need IHOP as it is. Parking is free, and although I've used and like the ART system for hotels out of easy walking distance, I am always so jealous of those who just walk across the street and are in their room before my shuttle even arrives. The second reason is that they have in-room jacuzzis for a price of $160 or so, which is the one little luxury we're allowing ourselves on this trip.

FYI, my second choice was HoJo, because of the neverending positive reviews about that place.

DangerMouse
05-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the info! I do like the idea of inside corridors; however, I also like the idea of free breakfast and shuttle at the same price. I think the overwhelming HoJo majority is assuming I do end up getting cheaper ent rate price. Right now, Hojo and CCI are approx same price. I guess I need to ck cancel policies of these 2 hotels. If I book one of them now, and cheap ent rate does become available, will I be able to say cancel cci and book hojo? If not, and I do hojo now, do I cancel and re-book hojo at cheaper price or is there a way to add code to already booked ressie so I have written confirmation of price change?

I'd make ressies at both, and hold out for that ent. rate, which they will gladly change for you if one becomes available.

pixiewings71
05-19-2008, 03:22 PM
FYI, the Trop, the HoJo and CCI all have free parking. :) Just thought I'd mention that for you. And, when we go the day we leave we go to the parks for about half a day, all 3 of those hotels will let you leave your car in their lot at no charge. :) The CCI even said to use their shuttle on our last day. :) We did take it back to the hotel but that morning we walked in. The CCI's breakfast was MUCH better than the Tropicana, more selection and just all around better food.

avalon451
05-19-2008, 03:37 PM
By the bye, if you don't want to pay inflated prices at the hotel gift shop for breakfast items, you can have Albertson's or Von's deliver groceries right to your hotel. You can order online. They will deliver within an hour and 15 minute window of time, and if you're not there yet, the bell desk will hold it for you. We did this and it worked great-- especially because we needed a rack of bottled water. The tap water is awful. We got milk, juice, pop tarts, fruit, yogurt and cereal "cups to go." It was perfect because most of it was portable-- so we grabbed breakfast and ate it standing in line at the turnstiles. Plus, we had snacks when we went back for our mid-day break.

Somebody on here even found a discount code to get the 9.95 delivery fee waived, awhile back.

Just another idea... :goodvibes

wwwosie
05-19-2008, 03:43 PM
I vote hands down for the Candy Cane Inn. Yes, there is a shuttle but, at least for our family, it's walking distance from Disneyland and you can sometimes walk faster than the shuttle takes to get there.
The breakfast is just o.k. (muffins, bagels, cereal, coffee, juice, fruit) but it's adequate for vacation. The pool is really really tiny but the grounds are nice and you can eat around the pool if you like.
The rooms are nice and generally it's a very quiet hotel (even when I was there during the cheerleading competitions). The staff is very nice and professional.
Keep checking your dates, you never know when they will open up.

twinspluscade
05-19-2008, 06:41 PM
We haven't been to DLR yet, so of course haven't stayed at any of the hotels. I didn't vote in your poll since I have no personal experience, but figured I'd give my 2 cents anyway.:goodvibes

IF you can get the ent rate, if I were you I'd for sure go with HoJo. However, if they ent rate isn't available, I'd go with something closer. We were originally booked at HOJO, but ended up switching to Tropicana since we can't get the ent rate. For me, being a bit closer is worth it even if the HOJO is maybe a bit superior. We're not picky though about where we stay, as long as it's clean.

Also--I thought for HOJO only the "preferred" Disney rooms have a microwave; the standard rooms are without--and some have double beds rather than a queen. For us a guaranteed queen bed is a must since our 4 year will be sleeping with us. So that was another reason we stitched to Trop--guaranteed queen beds and microwave in room with a standard room (also has fridge, FYI).

Amy&Dan
05-20-2008, 12:04 AM
I picked the Tropicana but have to say the Hojo is very nice. I just loved the location of the Tropicana, something about that extra 5 minutes up Harbor (I know I am a baby) has kept me from going back. The Hojo's grounds and pools cannot be beat by anything at DL other than the onsite hotels. It was also nice at the Tropicana to have the free breakfast and our room was spotless, spacious and we enjoyed that pool area very much. Its not as nice as the Hojo's (esp. given the upcoming refurb) but its nicer than some of the other pools on Harbor.

I really want to try the CCI sometime, it gets such good reviews and it looks like its free breakfast is way better than the Tropicana's and it looks very charming. But its always sold out when I check!

Kailua's Belle
05-20-2008, 12:30 AM
I voted for HOJO because you can't beat $59!!! The staff there has been so helpful on the phone!! I've changed my reservation twice already.

JenDisneylandlver
05-20-2008, 01:02 AM
Honestly those free breakfasts aren't that great, or much. It was something quick for us to grab, but if you want a real breakfast, you won't find it at those free ones! Without a car your choices will be limited to whats on harbor, the park, and DTD no matter where you stay.

Not saying it isn't nice having the free breakfast items, it is. But it's not something I hold a lot of weight on when choosing a place to stay. We're renting a car because I like shoot down to Subway on the other side of Harbor if I want, or Jack in the box ect... And we definitely plan on hitting up a grocery store somewhere to keep some small items in our room. But we are also good with grabbing McDonalds a few times for breakfast while were there too (and will do that even if were staying at a place with free cont. breakfast).

Without the entertainment rate, I might be tempted to just stay at the Tropicana. The location is really nice, especially after a few days of all that walking around the parks.. I didn't mind the halls being outdoors, and never felt unsafe there.

vossjemi
05-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Oh gosh, you all make such good points about each place. I still can't decide!:confused3 haha I'm wondering do rates change over time? I mean, is there a rush to book now because as summer comes up on us, one or more of these hotels will have higher rates or be sold out if I wait?

Oh, and does anyone know if any of these hotels will print off boarding passes for you free of charge? We have SWA tickets and can print off our passes 24 hour hours prior to return flight and want to make sure we actually get an A pass so hopefully won't have to be separated from children on plane. We don't have a laptop and won't have any other way to access a computer on Monday unless one of these hotels lets us use theirs. The Poly did that for us back in 05, but of course, that was a Disney property.

DangerMouse
05-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Oh gosh, you all make such good points about each place. I still can't decide!:confused3 haha I'm wondering do rates change over time? I mean, is there a rush to book now because as summer comes up on us, one or more of these hotels will have higher rates or be sold out if I wait?

Oh, and does anyone know if any of these hotels will print off boarding passes for you free of charge? We have SWA tickets and can print off our passes 24 hour hours prior to return flight and want to make sure we actually get an A pass so hopefully won't have to be separated from children on plane. We don't have a laptop and won't have any other way to access a computer on Monday unless one of these hotels lets us use theirs. The Poly did that for us back in 05, but of course, that was a Disney property.

I don't know about the others, but HoJo has two computers in their lobby that are free for their guests to use to check-in for airlines or check email, etc. I'm not sure if they front desk people would check-in for you while you are in the parks, but you could always ask.

vossjemi
05-20-2008, 12:22 PM
I don't know about the others, but HoJo has two computers in their lobby that are free for their guests to use to check-in for airlines or check email, etc. I'm not sure if they front desk people would check-in for you while you are in the parks, but you could always ask.

Hey, if I have access to a computer that is great! I can do it myself. Our flight leaves at 4pm on tues so I'd need on at 4pm on monday...can you say good time to go back for relaxation before dinner and evening re-entry to parks?

Luv Bunnies
05-20-2008, 05:28 PM
Just a comment about the Park Vue - it's gross! We stayed there in August. It wasn't the cleanest place, to say the least. The housekeeping service was very uneven. We had 5 in our room and sometimes they only left 2 towels. They never replaced used mugs or glasses and never cleaned the coffee maker after we used it. Then there was the giant cockroach! We tried to trap it under the ice bucket in the bathroom but it escaped. My DH finally whacked it with his shoe at 1:30 a.m. Two days later, the ice bucket was still overturned on the floor. No one bothered to remove it or give us a new one.

The location is the best of any of the hotels on Harbor. It's the closest to the crosswalk that leads to DL's main entrance. The place always seems to be busy. And I think they've let their service slip because people will stay there anyway. Just my 2 cents.

vossjemi
05-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Ugh, that is gross! My daughter will flip if she sees a bug!

I do have a few more questions about the ent rate if anyone knows. The message board says $59/74. What is the difference in price about? Room category? Weekend vs weeknight? Can you get this price for a disney or pool view room? Will you get queen room beds? Thanks!

DangerMouse
05-20-2008, 10:38 PM
Ugh, that is gross! My daughter will flip if she sees a bug!

I do have a few more questions about the ent rate if anyone knows. The message board says $59/74. What is the difference in price about? Room category? Weekend vs weeknight? Can you get this price for a disney or pool view room? Will you get queen room beds? Thanks!

The $74 rate is for a premium Disney view room. These rooms are all located in Bldg. 1, have two new pillowtop queens, a micro and fridge, room safe and a Disney view from the balcony. Most of them have a vanity w/sink outside the main bathroom as well (which is a big plus for families getting ready in the mornings).

The $59 is for either a standard room (which is a double/double room in the pavillion bldgs 3-6) These are the two-story bldgs in the center of the property; or for a deluxe room (which is a queen/queen room in bldg. 2). Most of the deluxe rooms in bldg. 2 have the new pillowtop beds, they all have fridges, some have balconies and many overlook the small pool in the back of the property.

Have you checked out the room layout pdf from their website? It will help you get a lay of the land, if you will:

hojoanaheim.com/pdf/room_layouts.pdf

HTH.

NWPrincess
05-20-2008, 10:44 PM
As other posters said, I picked the HoJo because of the Entertainment rate. In fact, it was that along with the discount I get through my work on Disneyland tickets that convinced me to go to Disneyland this year (though I've been planning ghost trips since 2007 ;) ).

Before I even knew about the rate though, the HoJo just seemed like a nice place. The rooms are nice, the pool(s) will be nice (we're going in September). The only thing that is bad is the walk, but since we stayed at the Alpine Inn last time with no problems (I was eying the Harbor Blvd hotels enviously), I don't think this will be a problem. Plus, due to my mom's disability issues, my dad is convinced that he was drop us off at the gate, drive back to the hotel and then walk back to Disneyland. Whew!

vossjemi
05-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the add'l info guys! I think we'll end up booking Hojo. I talked w/dh about it and he likes the idea of indoor corridors for safety. Also, crossing our fingers the pool will be done by Aug 10! My ds6 is anxious to play in a pirate ship pool or whatever that thing is going to be!

Couple more questions...how often does Hojo update their ent code dates? Should I check daily? Or do they just do it like once a month or every 3 months or what? I see it was last updated 5/16 here recently.

Also, since we will be there sun-tues, we aren't sure if we should get 2 or 3 day passes. Our flight leaves at 4pm on tues. Do you have to buy a 3 day pass to get magic morning on tues? We won't get off the cruise and over to disneyland early enough on sunday to use magic morning. Thanks!

vossjemi
05-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Holy cow! I just went to book Hojo & the disney view rooms are gone! Pool view only right now. What do I do? Do the disney view rooms come in and out of availability or am I stuck. This isn't until Aug 10 & 11. Arghhh.:scared:

disney-inspired
05-20-2008, 11:59 PM
I'm all for HoJo's because the rooms are great! They are large and the beds are so comfortable that I slept like a rock. I normally don't sleep very well during vacations because the beds will be lumpy or too soft. The beds at HoJos are firm but not like rocks. The room was spacious and we had a nice view.

Hound 109
05-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Also, since we will be there sun-tues, we aren't sure if we should get 2 or 3 day passes. Our flight leaves at 4pm on tues. Do you have to buy a 3 day pass to get magic morning on tues? We won't get off the cruise and over to disneyland early enough on sunday to use magic morning. Thanks!

3 Days, Period....Slam Dunk.

- You don't get MM with a 2 day hopper ticket.
- It's just a few $$ more for the 3 day hopper (which you will use on Tuesday).
- You'll get a crazy amount done during MM & during the first 4-5 hours on Tuesday.
- You won't be able to DO Walt's park (& DCA) properly in 2 days. 2.5 days (if properly planned & if zigging when others are zagging) just might be "enough" time to see & do most of the highlights.

Read DLR's MM superthread & other posts regarding THE BEST time to tour.

vossjemi
05-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Ok, I did book the pool view hojo because the disney view was no longer available. You snooze you lose I guess. :headache: I emailed Lorealle just to make sure there were no disney views avail and to put me on a wait list if there is such a thing. Also, even though I booked pool view, the actual confirmation doesn't say that. It has the pool view price though. I wonder if I should print off the quote that says pool view because the confirmation just says 2 queen beds room. Strange.:confused3

vossjemi
05-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Ok, I heard back from Lorealle. Disney view rooms are currently all booked! I can't believe that in the 1 week I started researching this (just decided to extend vacation 2 days for DL on 5/13!), I lost out on disney view!:headache: She said to keep checking and 1 one might become available and they can switch me if it does.

So, those of you who've had the pool view, is that an even longer walk? That is building #2, right? On the up side, I'm assuming pool view will put us right by the new pools, hopefully done by the time we get there?

vossjemi
05-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Oh, and now I'm thinking about booking Tropicana as a back up now too. Because if the summer goes on and it doesn't look like the hojo pool is going to be done in time for our visit, I think we may opt for close with free breakfast.

TiggerandTink
05-22-2008, 01:37 AM
Just a comment about the Park Vue - it's gross! We stayed there in August. It wasn't the cleanest place, to say the least. The housekeeping service was very uneven. We had 5 in our room and sometimes they only left 2 towels. They never replaced used mugs or glasses and never cleaned the coffee maker after we used it. Then there was the giant cockroach! We tried to trap it under the ice bucket in the bathroom but it escaped. My DH finally whacked it with his shoe at 1:30 a.m. Two days later, the ice bucket was still overturned on the floor. No one bothered to remove it or give us a new one.

The location is the best of any of the hotels on Harbor. It's the closest to the crosswalk that leads to DL's main entrance. The place always seems to be busy. And I think they've let their service slip because people will stay there anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Oh no! I booked the Park Vue for the location and the fact that I could get a room with bunkbeds. I have 2 kids-boy age 10, girl age 8- and they don't really like to sleep together any more so when we go out of town I usually end up sleeping with my daughter and hubby sleeps with son. They are not the easiest kids to sleep with so the bunkbeds seemed to be a blessing for all of us. :woohoo: But if the rooms aren't clean...:eek: I think I'd rather be sleeping with my daughter at another hotel!

We stayed at HoJos on our last trip and we enjoyed it. We like to try different places to stay and wanted to try something a bit closer this time. Other than that there is no reason I wouldn't stay at HoJos again.

Haven't stayed at the other 2. Although I may be checking on CCI to see if there is availability. Since we are only 3 weeks out from our trip though I am skeptical that we will find anything open close and be able to change our reservations.

mermaidwannabe
05-22-2008, 12:44 PM
We are booked for HOJOs for mid-July without the ent rate and I was really struggling with whether to switch places if the pool isn't completed since that was a very big reason for booking there. SO, after a thread about switching, several posters convinced me to book at Tropicana. The breakfast I didn't really care about too much because it's so easy to grab muffins at a store or at Hojos shop. What I hadn't thought about before was those mid-day breaks with my kids (11, 8 and 5). I honestly don't know if I'd take them if I had to walk even 5 minutes farther. Being right there is a big pull. The pool looks fine too. DOn't get me wrong, if the Hojos pool is done by then, I'll be there, but it doesn't look likely. Also, the microwave was another big reason since I wouldn't have had one at Hojos. Besides heating up leftovers, my girls are crazy about popcorn so we'll be taking some with us.

BY the way, I really would keep checking on those premium rooms - who knows how many people are double-booked waiting to see if the pool gets done. Just a thought. Good luck with your decision!

Michaelasmum
05-22-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm staying at the HOJO next week for 9 nights, I'm really looking forward to it from the comments I've read on here...plus the customer service I've already received from Lorealle has been above and beyond!!

Don't forget they will have the new Castaway Cove pool, if that is an interest to you...I sure wish it were going to be there when I'm there!!

vossjemi
05-27-2008, 12:23 PM
So far, no premium rooms avail for sun. 1 for mon, but hate to book with a switch on a 2 night stay. Has anyone stayed in the pool view rooms at Hojo? Pros/cons?

Also, I know someone mentioned the Best Western Park Place Inn even though its not one of the 4 in the poll. It seems they have minisuites, which would be nice, but at $162/night, its out of our price range. Does anyone know if they have any discounts to get that down to the $130 range like the others?

DangerMouse
05-27-2008, 12:43 PM
We always stay in the bldg. 2 pool view rooms (NQQ2).

Pros: Quieter in general, cheaper, easier to find parking back there.

Cons: No micro, some don't have balconies (you have to request one if you want it), most don't have vanity/sink outside main bathroom.

BWPPI discounts? Have you tried AAA? Try search engines like Kayak to see if you can find a lower rate.

Hojoanaheim
05-27-2008, 03:40 PM
think the HoJo has a nicer swimming area (although the HoJo's swimming pools are in the middle of a major renovation, and they probably won't be finished until the end of July).

I just wanted to clarify that yes, our Main Pool Area is completely closed for the renovations that will turn it into Castaway Cove, and it will not reopen until the end of July this year- but! our Garden Pool has also been newly renovated, and it's open for business now! :goodvibes

Hope this helps!
Lorealle

vossjemi
05-27-2008, 04:35 PM
Thanks Lorealle! Crossing my fingers construction is on time and done by our 8/10 stay! I know my son will LOVE the Pirate Ship Pool. In fact, I just told my dh that if the parks are really really crowded, I know my kids will just want to swim in the pools! haha

Hojoanaheim
05-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks Lorealle! Crossing my fingers construction is on time and done by our 8/10 stay! I know my son will LOVE the Pirate Ship Pool. In fact, I just told my dh that if the parks are really really crowded, I know my kids will just want to swim in the pools! haha

It's my pleasure! :thumbsup2

And if Castaway Cove construction is not done by August 10th, I think my head will explode! :laughing:

perlster
05-27-2008, 04:58 PM
That was fast - got a reply before I could save the edited post ... Thanks for the info

Hojoanaheim
05-27-2008, 05:04 PM
What's MiMi's?

Mimi's is a restaurant on Harbor and Manchester that serves really great food and is a favorite of locals and guests in the Anaheim Resort area!

Here's a link to their website: http://mimiscafe.com/ , and if you'd like to take a look at their menu, the zip code here in Anaheim is 92802.

Hope this helps! :goodvibes
Lorealle

Raidermouse
05-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Don't know if everyone forgot or are keeping it hush hush:confused3
But remember there is a disboard member discount code lndb that gets you 20% off.It is the next highest discount to ent rate,AAA and AP rate I believe are onlt 15%.;)

DangerMouse
05-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Don't know if everyone forgot or are keeping it hush hush:confused3
But remember there is a disboard member discount code lndb that gets you 20% off.It is the next highest discount to ent rate,AAA and AP rate I believe are onlt 15%.;)

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure the Disboard discount is only 15% off. It's the AP discount that was raised to 20%.

SANDIEGOFAN
05-28-2008, 10:25 AM

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but the Pirates Cove will not have a pool. The little kids wading pool will still be there but not a pool you can swim in. You'll need to go to the garden pool for swimming.

Raidermouse
05-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Hmmm, I'm pretty sure the Disboard discount is only 15% off. It's the AP discount that was raised to 20%.

It looks like they are both 20% when I check rooms,Lorealle?

vossjemi
05-28-2008, 11:55 AM
Sorry for my inartful wording...I don't think Pirate ship is actually a pool, but a ship with water stuff on it. Here is Lorealle's description on Hojo discussion boards:

HoJo's Castaway Cove is now under construction!
by Lorealle on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:01 pm

Happy Friday Everybody!

I've got a lot of really great information for those of you out there keeping up with our improvements! As of yesterday, May 1st, our Main Pool Area has now closed permanently*. The Main Pool will be replaced by Castaway Cove - a watery pirate playground featuring:

+ 30-foot Pirate Ship with Two Slides
+ Cargo net Climb
+ 300-Gallon Drench Bucket
+ Water Curtain & Water Umbrella
+ Water Canons

*Speedy's Sprayground, the Wading Pool and the Hot Tub will remain as part of Castaway Cove, but will be closed for the whole of the duration of the renovations.

As an alternative to Speedy's Sprayground, families in search of water fun for younger kids will love splashing around at 'Princess Dot's Puddle Park' located in Disney's California Adventure park! This water playground is the perfect place to cool off! Tots will enjoy splashing around with the leaky spigot and oversized garden hose, and the sprinkler nozzle that shoots water will bring squeals of delight to all! [This attraction closes at dusk, and tops, bottoms & shoes are required. Family restrooms for changing are available right next door.]

Of course, our newly renovated, family-friendly Garden Pool next to Building 2 is now open for you and your family to enjoy during your stay with us! With a maximum depth of 5-feet, an expanded deck area, and showers- we are confident that it will become a favorite place to lounge! [Keep checking back, because we will be taking pictures of the new Garden Pool to post here!] The Garden Pool is open from 9a-10p daily.

We have a very conservative estimate that Castaway Cove will reopen at the end of July, and that its hours of operation will be 9a-12a for the whole of the facility, with the Pirate Ship closing at dusk [Speedy's Sprayground, the Wading Pool & the Hot Tub will remain open for use until 12a].

Thank you all so much for your continued patience! As always, I am more than happy to help answer any questions or address any concerns that you might have, so please feel free to email me at Lorealle.Bishop@hojoanaheim.com!

Have a great weekend!
Lorealle
Last edited by Lorealle on Tue May 20, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorealle

vossjemi
05-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Also, I used the disboard lndb discount and it was only 15%, same as mousesavers.

pycees312
05-28-2008, 06:12 PM
I voted Hojo however i have never been to the other places.
The Hojo as other shave noted has free internet, double sinks( nice size bathrooms) and very spacious rooms. The beds were high( like the disneyland hotel) but very comfy. Has a small fridge and bathrooms on each floor from what i saw( plus). Small video game room and a nice gift shop. Very close to disneyland and good food very nearby! the Entertainement rate is the best!
I also like when the rooms are bright and airy and the Hojo happened to be.
:banana:

Hojoanaheim
05-28-2008, 06:26 PM
It looks like they are both 20% when I check rooms,Lorealle?

As far as I know, the AP discount is 20% off, and the DISboard discount is 15% off.

Hope this helps!
Lorealle

vossjemi
05-28-2008, 09:26 PM
Well, today was my lucky day!:cheer2: A disney view room opened up for my stay!pixiedust: Lorealle has confirmed I am now in a disney view room! Woohoo! Now, I need to figure out transportation.:surfweb: Its always something! But, just gotta love the dis giving us all this great info to get us going! I'll cross my fingers for ent rate coming up, but I won't hold my breath.

Feel free to continue voting and stating your reasons although my choice is made...it might help others choose as well. Thanks everyone!:grouphug:

Grim_Grinning_Girl
05-29-2008, 01:53 AM
Not on the list, and I didn't quite make it to the 6th page, so not sure if it's been mentioned yet. For the past 3 years we've stayed at the Alpine Inn, in fact we were just there about a week and a 1/2 ago. Its backyard is literally the main Disneyland parking lot, it's closest to the south(?) entrance, definitely within walking distance. Then all you need to do is hop on a parking lot tram and you're off to Disneyland. The place is small, location is quiet, and the rooms are clean and comfortable, perfect for sleeping & showering. Within walking distance to the main Harbor strip, and there's a 7-11 at the corner. Google Map it if you're curious.

I didn't pay, but I believe our rate for double queens was in the $70 range (with coupon). We later stayed in North Hollywood for Universal in a movie style roach motel for the same $70 rate :faint:. It was a last minute thing, and we had not research any places prior to setting out :sick:.

vossjemi
06-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Ok, we've now got a change of plans. Originally, we were just doing the cruise flying out a day early to be safe. Trip dates Sat 8/2-Sun8/10. Booked flight out SWA 8/2, but had to wait for return dates to be listed. Long story short, I waited too long to book return and price skyrocketed. Around Mother's Day, there was a sale on SWA for tue-thurs flights at a price we could afford. Meant we'd save around $700 in airfare, but we knew that would be eaten up by park/hotel costs in staying 2 extra days (but more value for your $!). So, we went ahead and booked a tues 8/12 return. Not an ideal flight...2 stops (no changing planes though) and would put us in our home airport around 11:30pm. Plus with such a late return, we knew neither of us would be able to work the next day because we had a 3 1/2 hour drive afterwards to our home as well! All in all that would have meant taking a total of 8 days off work...not ideal, but you gotta do what you gotta do pricewise.

Well, today we got a Ding from SWA. It saved us $44 in airfare. Its on monday instead of tuesday, but still puts us in our home airport late. At least its nonstop though. My dh preferred this because ns, now only 7 days off work, and saved an extra hotel night/extra day ticket price/meals, etc... I've figured we're going to save about $400 coming home a day early. Not my first choice, but my dh feels real guilty taking so much time off work; especially since he's the one who usually has to take off when the kids get sick or don't have school & he even works a shorter day to pick them up after school.

So, there you have it. We get off our cruise Sunday morning 8/10, head over to DL/DCA, spend one night, and head to the airport for our return flight on Mon 8/11 at 7:00 pm. We originally booked Hojo, but with only 1 night stay, should we stay closer to the park? I know I'm going to have to reread this whole thread to figure out if one or the other across the street hotels is preferable, but thought I would seek out your opinion since we have now shortened our trip and literally will only have 2 days in the park & 1 night hotel. Thanks!:thumbsup2

bumbershoot
06-17-2008, 02:22 PM
"We originally booked Hojo, but with only 1 night stay, should we stay closer to the park? I know I'm going to have to reread this whole thread to figure out if one or the other across the street hotels is preferable"

We just stayed at HJ, and I was injured by awful blisters on the balls of my feet and on the sides of both big and little toes (did it even before we got to the parks!). Walking to HJ was no big deal.

Once you're out of the tram/shuttle area, it's maybe 5 minutes difference between the first hotel you get to and HJ. We've now stayed there a total of 6 nights in this last year, and I also stayed at Carousel this year, and there was seriously almost no difference.

Sorry you had to shorten your stay!!!!

vossjemi
06-18-2008, 01:47 PM
Ok, sorry to be so wishy washy. I was soooooo regretting the decision to switch it up to Monday return last night that I convinced dh there would be no point in doing Disneyland if we only had a 1/2 day after cruise on sunday and 1/2 day before our flight on Monday (especially after reading a mexican riviera trip rpt from this week how busy it was sun/mon at the parks). So, since today is 5 ding day specials from SWA, crossed my fingers for a repeat of yesterday's ding! :surfweb: It came! Yeah!:thumbsup2 So, I changed us back to a Tues return...only its better. Our original flight left at 4:00pm with 2 stops along the way. This one leaves at 7pm (more park time) and is ns.

So, I think we'll just stay with Hojo. And, I guess if the parks really get way tooo busy, hopefully we'll get lots of use at Castaway Cove! Thanks for bearing with me. I'M NOT CHANGING PLANS AGAIN! :badpc:

bumbershoot
06-18-2008, 02:11 PM
:)