PDA

View Full Version : To get an AP or not to get one....

Mom of three
05-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Im contemplating getting one, for the extra $75 we can upgrade and get an AP, even though we really have no intention on going again other than our trip in Oct.

questions:

I assume you dont have to be a CA resident?

Can just one of us get the AP and get all the bennys or do we all have to purchase them?

If I have already booked my package and put the deposit down, do I just call my AAA rep and have her do a "modification" adding the AP...and then when the Hotel discounts come out do it again making the adjustments?

Are there any other requirements to get the AP, paperwork ect.?

Thanks everyone!!

DebbieB
05-13-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm from PA and got a deluxe AP 2 weeks ago. You have to show ID with your name and address. They type it into the computer, ask you to verify the info, and give you a card to enter the park. You take that to a building (forget the name) inside the right entrance of DL. They take your picture and give you your permanent AP. I loved that I got 10% off all my food (I was solo). I would think it would apply to your entire purchase if it was all rung together. Don't know about the rooms, I was on DVC points.

JenDisneylandlver
05-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Hmm, I don't think the benefits are worth it alone, if you don't plan on going back again within the year. They are nice, and we use them, but the real benefit was going on another 2 more trips with them. Saved MEGA bucks not having to buy tickets.

But we live in Nevada and have the Deluxe AP's.

Jenn1116
05-13-2008, 06:16 PM
Do you think you'll save $75 worth on discounts? Or maybe it will be a good excuse to come back within the year!

trodrigue
05-13-2008, 09:09 PM
I say upgrade. You would be surprised by how many ways you can make a reason to do so and that is just one step from planning another trip. It sounds like our Disney store at Alderwood will be sticking around and they will also likely offer a discount to AP holders.

How it works is that you just take your hoppers that AAA sends you. They will have a morning magic on them. Attend your morning magic and then go to the bank, inside disneyland on the right. That is where they will upgrade your hoppers to AP's. If you upgrade your tickets before using your morning magic, you will loose it.

But way that against how many AP discounts you will miss out on before you get your upgrade.

Have you already purchased your AAA package?

bumbershoot
05-13-2008, 10:33 PM
OP, the thought of not planning on going again sort of made me faint for a second. OK I'm better now. :)

Are you staying onsite? Sounds like it, since you are talking about AP discounts. Do you have a package, or just room reservations?

If you have a package, I don't think you can do the package AND have AP discounted rooms...i could be wrong but I don't think you can.

If you are staying onsite, unless something changes, you get MM through the hotel not your ticket, so you don't have to worry about when you upgrade the hoppers (can do it in the first hour you're at the park, if you want, to maximize discounts).

Just one of you can get it, if all you want it for is possible on-site room rate reductions and the food (and merchandise, if you get the Premium AP) discounts.

As a non Southern California resident, you can get the Deluxe or the Premium AP. All they need is the AP holders information (they send newsletters so they want your address), your money, and they take a picture! Easy.

Mom of three
05-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Thank you so much for the replies.

Yes, we put a deposit on our reservation (hotel and tickets) through AAA, havent paid for it all yet. We plan on staying at DLH and my main reason for getting the AP was to take advantage of the room rate discount as well as the many others.

Oh...and I didnt mean that I was not going to go again...I just meant that after Oct. we probably won't go for another year or so...then again...if I opt for the AP, then we could start working on our Oct. 2009 trip! ::::scratches head::::

JenDisneylandlver
05-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Yep, ours expire the next week after we'll be there. Talk about using it right up until the last minute. We used them a total of 3 times. June of '07, October '07, and now June '08. I'm telling you, it's hard to not plan another trip knowing the tickets are basically FREE. You catch the bug real quick that way!! hehe

We used the AP rate for one night at the DLH. It was okay, but still pricey. In October I'd see if your dates go with the Gay Day rates. We did that last year and got GCH for $209 a night!

bumbershoot
05-14-2008, 01:28 AM
Oh...and I didnt mean that I was not going to go again...I just meant that after Oct. we probably won't go for another year or so...then again...if I opt for the AP, then we could start working on our Oct. 2009 trip! ::::scratches head::::

Whew!

Hey what happened to your cute signature picture???

If you were to have this trip, say, starting on October 16th (entering your first park that day), if you planned your trip to END on the next October 16th, that trip would be covered by the AP you would upgrade to. Nice, eh?

In October I'd see if your dates go with the Gay Day rates. We did that last year and got GCH for $209 a night!

Ooh good point. Wouldn't be able to use AAA at all for that, but they do give really good convention prices for that! Good ticket prices, too, and since you're staying onsite you don't have to worry that the convention tickets don't include MM. (their site states "Rates are only good from October 1 10.")