PDA

View Full Version : Pal Mickey at Disneyland?

disneyfansmandl
05-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Hi Folks,

While cruising through the local Borders store with Pal Mickey in hand, a family recognized him and started talking to me. They swear up and down that he now works at Disneyland. I always have assumed he only works at WDW and we have twice left him home alone while we went off to Anaheim. Anyone else heard this? Any plans with the new renovation to include him?

Thanks for any feedback,

M&L in Boise

ballarinamom
05-12-2008, 09:09 PM
I wish it worked there! But I see threads pop up every week or so and still the same answer- nope!! Sorry!

Dukland
05-12-2008, 11:25 PM
I've never been to WDW. What's Pal Mickey? Should I look into one in the future?

Mom of three
05-13-2008, 12:10 AM
I've never been to WDW. What's Pal Mickey? Should I look into one in the future?

I was curious too...did a search and found this out (thank you Wikipedia):

Pal Mickey is an interactive plush toy developed by The Walt Disney Company and sold at Walt Disney World Resort.

The toy is a ten inch (26.5 cm) Mickey Mouse, soft and easy for children to hold. Inside, it contains a microprocessor, a speaker, three AA batteries, three squeeze sensors (one in each hand and one in its belly), and an infrared receiver/transmitter in its nose. A loop on the back of its head fits a clip or a lanyard hook for ease of carrying.

Pal Mickey is sold for use at the four theme parks at Walt Disney World Resort: the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, the Disney's Hollywood Studios, and Disney's Animal Kingdom. You may purchase Pal Mickey at various on site hotel gift shops, all four theme parks, and Downtown Disney. It communicates invisibly with more than four hundred infrared transmitters around these parks. It will periodically giggle and vibrate to indicate that it has information to provide; when its belly or hand is squeezed, it will speak up with information about the immediate area, parade and showtime reminders, tips on what costumed walkaround characters may be nearby, and attractions with short queue times. It "remembers" where it has been so as to avoid repeating itself.

If it is squeezed when it has no tips to provide or when it is not at a park, it will tell jokes and play simple games. The toy is programmed with over seven hundred pre-recorded phrases.

Looks pretty neat! I tried posting a direct link for the info, but wasnt able to cause I dont have at least 10 posts yet. :cool2:

ballarinamom
05-13-2008, 06:50 AM
DD bought Pal Mickey last year at WDW. He comes with a lanyard to wear around your neck. He was cute but I can't say he worked as well as we thought. He would jiggle and shake when he had something to say which was so funny. You can buy additional outfits for him, too. But worth the $65 price tag? No

disneyfaninaz
05-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Here's a picture and more information here.

http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/pal.htm

Disneyluvr2
05-13-2008, 09:34 PM
$65.00!!! YIKES!!!:eek:

JohnsPrincess
05-14-2008, 07:33 AM
I have a Pal Mickey and I just LOVE him. To me, yes, he was worth the price tag. I got him right after they came out so I've had him a while and he still works perfectly. A couple/few years ago they had a free shirt for him to passholders so he has that. But then I bought the Pirate outfit for him so that's what he's been in for a while. :laughing:

They have one that comes in the Sorcerer Mickey outfit...I really want to get that one...but I can't justify spending the money again to basically get that outfit. Ah well. lol

Oh - and (at least they used to) you can rent them in the park. If after the end of the day you decide you want him, you just pay the rest of the cost. So it's a good way to try him out.

Edited to add: If they sold one for Disneyland I would totally get it. Though...it would be better if they just made the current one work there too...

keishashadow
05-14-2008, 12:48 PM
i have the 1st version they sold on clearance @ charactar warehouse, had it shipped for less than $15 as i recall

fyi, they are testing an updated version that doesn't require the Mickey, just a cartridge on nintendo DSs @ WDW (they are pulling guests & having them use them in the parks), would be nice to see it incorporated @ DL too:goodvibes

bonita_babe232
05-14-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm pretty sure if they made one for disneyland you would have to buy awhole new mickey either that or buy a cartarage/update cause they wouldn't want to miss out on the extra $$$.... but i think a good idea would to offer the toy in diffrent charecters.... i'm sure they would sell good. But then maybe it wouldn't be as speacial since its not mickey!

tinkerbelt
05-14-2008, 01:19 PM
That looks so cool! I would love it if they'd make one for DLR!