PDA

View Full Version : Deluxe Villas vs. Moderate hotels

chakazullo
05-12-2008, 10:28 AM
In laws are planning a trip to Disney for my wife our 2 kids, and they are coming with us.

I suggested having all 6 of us stay in one of the villas at Boardwalk or the Beach Club, because our kids are 4 and 5, and I figured it would be a great location.

My in-laws spoke with a travel agent, who told them they would pay "an arm and a leg" for that location, and suggested Port Orleans-Riverside or New Orleans.

I figured it out, and the price difference is about $2500 for the villa vs. 2 hotel rooms at the moderate resort. Personally, my wife and I think it is worth it. However, it is a tough sell to my in-laws, who feel the cost is extravagent.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Also, I assume they do, but do the villas have 2 bath rooms. I have read many reviews, and everyone says that they can comfortably sleep 4 adults and 2 children, but I want to be sure.

spiceycat
05-12-2008, 10:39 AM
a few and I mean a few (25) 2-bedroom at BCV have 2 queen beds in the second bedroom.

otherwise

king in the master, queen sleeper sofa in the livingroom, queen bed & double sleeper sofa in the second bedroom.

2 rooms at moderate - will be 2 double beds - so 4 double beds.

with a villa you get a kitchen, with a moderate you get a refrigerator. that say moderates and values have a food court. deluxes & dvc do not - if you are eating out and not using the kitchen you will pay more for the restuarants than you would in a food court.

the might go for 2 studios - they have at BWV & BCV - queen bed and double sleeper sofa plus a kitchennett - not a kitchen - but hey better than the moderates.

okw has 2 queen beds - but it is the only one.

you can rent a reservation from a DVC member and save some money - just don't do fri/sat - hey stay in a moderate then....:laughing:

Pakey
05-12-2008, 10:56 AM
:lmao: We have stayed 6 people in the 2 bedroom villas several times. Is it extravagant to spend an extra $2500? Yes. It is worth it? Only you can answer that--everyone places different values on things.

We have DVC points so it's hard to put a price on it but we love having the living space separate from the sleeping space, it provides more relaxation. But we are not park commandos and spend quite a bit of time at the resort. If I wasn't going to spend time at the resort except for sleeping, I probably wouldn't do it then.

And then you have to consider the location. Staying at an Epcot location vs POR/POFQ location? Well that is apples and oranges there. For me, that's a necessity rather than an extravagance. :lmao:

chakazullo
05-13-2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks for the advice. I am considering renting from an owner, and I have read all the rules, and advice on that as well. It still seems very confusing to me, because I have no idea what Disney points mean.

Basically, what I would like to do is put a request for a reservation on the board for the week I want to go, and have someone rent me a villa for that week. I don't want to buy someone's points, because I don't even understand that.

Can I actually just post the week I want and have an owner get directly in touch with me?

Also, I will need a Saturday and Sunday night stay, it's non-negotiable. I can't move 2 young kids to a different hotel during the stay. Too much trouble.

MEK
05-13-2008, 09:32 AM
Go to the DVC section of this website and start reading everything you can. You will see a section on renting points. It will save you a considerable amount of money over a rack rate reservation. However, there are some differences. The DVC reservations are harder to cancel and you do not receive daily housekeeping. You also must establish a sense of trust with the renter. But you are entilted to full privleges of a DVC member. You may also pay for the meal plan at check in.

The moderate resorts are nice but obvious not as nice as a 2BR villa at BCV or Boardwalk. Is the difference worth $2500?????? Not to me, but it is to some people.

Try planning out 3 trip scenarios - rack rate villas, DVC point villas, and mod resort. That may help you make your decision.

I bought into DVC specifically because I wanted nicer accomodations, but I wanted to do it more economically. My points are now paid for (for life and then some) and my yearly expenditure is my condo fee (what I would pay for 7 nights value in summer season).

Good luck in your decision.:wizard:

MEK
05-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Also - go to the section on DVC information and use the point calculator to figure out how many points you would need for your ideal stay. Multiply that by 10 or 11 and that will be the price you will pay the owner. Eg. 300 points at $10 per point - $3000 for accomodations.

reneempayne
05-13-2008, 09:52 AM
The extra $$ is worth it to us. We really wanted a seperate sitting area for when the kids are sleeping and they can not guarantee connecting rooms. Also having laundry is great so that we can pack less. We are doing the dinging plan and just getting stuff for snacks and breakfast in our rooms so the kitchen isn't that huge of a deal. we just wanted the room!

spiceycat
05-13-2008, 09:56 AM
just remember Fri or Sat are expensive using a DVC member. so unless it is necessary go with Sun-thur (leaving on Fri).

with your group might also consider VWL - it is closer to the MK and can't see your kids being happy anyplace else.

of course they may be more mature than average.

also do the prices for 2 studios vs 2-bedroom villa.

now the 2-bedroom villa is great especially with that whirlpool tub and the washer/dryer in the room. but every DVC unit has a free laundry mat - so studios are still fine.

only OKW has 2 queen beds in the studio.

the others have queen bed and double sleeper sofa.

No studio connect with another studio.

they only connect with a 1-bedroom - to make a 2-bedroom.

DVC Mike
05-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Basically, what I would like to do is put a request for a reservation on the board for the week I want to go, and have someone rent me a villa for that week. I don't want to buy someone's points, because I don't even understand that.

You aren't really "buying" or "renting" points. You are paying a DVC member to make a reservation in your name using their points.

Be sure and read the Considering Renting from a DVC Member? thread.

mmmears
05-13-2008, 10:33 AM
4 reasons to prefer the villa:

1 -- Location -- it is fantastic! I cant say enough about that!

2 -- Kitchen -- you could save lots of $$$ and make the kids happy, too.

3 -- In room laundry machines -- so less packing, great to have.

4 -- If BC -- the pool there is amazing -- even for smaller kids. There are river pools, jacuzzis, a big sandy lagoon, and 2 slides -- one small and one huge!

Dallas_Lady
05-13-2008, 10:36 AM
I figured it out, and the price difference is about $2500 for the villa vs. 2 hotel rooms at the moderate resort. Personally, my wife and I think it is worth it. However, it is a tough sell to my in-laws, who feel the cost is extravagent.

Who is paying for the trip? Maybe they don't have the $2500 (or simply don't want to spend it). I have done entire trips for $2500, so for me, that is a lot of money.

If you don't think it's a big deal, maybe you can pay the difference.

java
05-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Who is paying? To say $2500 isn't much of a difference is fine if you are the one paying it.

I have to add that I think the travel agents must get some bigger kickback from booking POR. That seems to be the standard one that gets pushed from the average travel agent.

Why not use Dreams unlimited? Have them price out the different options. They will watch for codes and deals and get them for you. They are disney specific agents(some are other "specific" agents there as well)

goofy4tink
05-13-2008, 11:12 AM
If you choose to rent points from a DVC owner, be aware that it is a giant leap of faith. The DVC owner holds the reservation, you have no say in it..you can't call someone and make a change to it or even see if it is viable. Now, understand, I am not saying it's a bad idea to rent points from an owner. Just want to be sure you understand the deal. You will post the time frame you need, and the resort you want to stay in. A DVC owner will contact you and let you know how much it will cost. Then, it will be up to the two parties to come to a decision as to how to make payment.
The owner will then let you have the info you need to check in.

A two bedroom villa, which you will need, will have a king bed in the 'master' bedroom, with an attached bath area (whirlpool tub, vanity/sink and walkin closet), a living room with kitchen area and washer/dryer set up. The bathroom area (sink, toilet, shower stall) are accessible from both the master and the living room. The living room will have a sleep sofa in it. The 'second bedroom' will be a studio villa....a queen size bed, a sleep sofa, bathroom and kitchenette (micro wave, small fridge, toaster, sink, coffee maker). It is 'attached' to the other villa by a connecting door. Both units will have their own entrance.

Hope this helps a bit.

goofy4tink
05-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Okay...I just 'plugged in' some random dates...Aug 9-15. That's a Sat through a Friday. I looked at BCV in a two bedroom villa, booked by renting points..it would be 275 pts, so cost about $2800. If you booked a one bedroom villa at BW, through Disney, not a DVC owner, it would cost you $3500, plus about $2600 for a studio (same as a two bedroom)..hugely expensive.
I checked POFQ for the same time frame....a preferred room there would be $1300, you would need two rooms, so total would come to about $2600. Just some figures to get you started on the thought process. Of course, prices do change depending on the time of year...with both regular Disney booking as well as with DVC.

choirfarm
05-13-2008, 11:42 AM

The difference is 2500??? I don't blame your in-laws. I am paying a total of 2600 for 8 nights with 2 rooms at the values, 6 day park tickets and free dining for the 5 of us. I agree if I was going with you I wouldn't pay the difference either. It is extravagent!!!!!!! Sorry, but I am on your side. 2 rooms at a value is much better.