PDA

View Full Version : Official "Friends of the Fort" Weight Loss Group!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Rhonda
05-04-2008, 09:11 AM
Ok ladies! (Or men, since we are an equal opportunity weight loss group)...

This is the place to post your weight loss whines, plans, goals, ideas, recipes, fitness plans, or whatever else will help us!

Let's try to keep it on-topic, so we don't hit that dreaded 250 pages too quickly! :goodvibes

Rhonda
05-04-2008, 09:15 AM
I'll start out by saying that I would LOVE to lose about 50 pounds! The plan that works best for me is low-carb. I've tried low fat diets, but they don't do anything for me, except make me hungry.

Another thing I need to work on is EXERCISE! Low-carbing is great - but exercise is a key to any diet to help build muscle tone, and lose the body fat. So, along with cutting out those "bad" carbs, I'm starting a walking plan this week, with a goal of 30 minutes at least 5 days a week.

For food, I'm sticking to vegetables, meats, cheese, eggs, nuts, and a few whole grains and lower sugar fruits. Staying away from white flours, sugars, starches and high-sugar fruits.

Wish me luck!! Anybody wanna go next? :cutie:

Shannone1
05-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Hi Rhonda. I'm so glad you are on board....thanks for starting this thread for us. :banana:

I too would like to lose 50 pounds. I lost 90 pounds about 3 years ago and after a long vacation slowly fell off the wagon and gained back about 40 pounds. :eek:

I am going to do what I know worked for me last time....cutting my calories and exercising. I stay under 1500 calories a day, which means weighing and measuring my food. Not always easy...but I keep a notebook and put everything in there so the next time I make that meal I don't have to do all of the math !!

I have started as of this morning (May 4). I will post my weekly results on Friday mornings. :woohoo:

Come on ladies (and maybe men??) We can DO it together !! :cheer2: :cheer2:

My 14 year old daughter is onboard too. She would like to lose 20-30 pounds. She still has her "baby fat" and would like to lose some weight before starting high school in the fall. Her name is Katie.

Rhonda
05-04-2008, 10:15 AM
:cheer2: Shannone and Katie!! :cheer2:

We can do this together!! :grouphug:

chipscamping buddy
05-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Count me in. I can be the token guy in the group :)

I am working on losing about 70 lbs, of which I have done about 15 in the last five weeks. I have been working on cutting out the snacks and fast food, eating lean meats and keeping carbs to about once a day.

Curtis

Rhonda
05-04-2008, 10:56 AM
Wow - way to go!!! I can't wait til I can say that I've lost my first 15 pounds!!

Welcome! :goodvibes

AlyLynn
05-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks Rhonda! What a great idea. :thumbsup2 I'd love to lose about 30 pounds. I'm having a hard time because when I was younger I could eat virtually anything and not gain weight. After our 4th child, I've had a really hard time losing the weight. Exercise is another thing I'd love to increase--but our youngest is going to be 3 this summer, and has YET to sleep through the night! If DH and I get 3 hours straight we're lucky! Thanks for this great support group--I've never tried one, so maybe it will work for me! (Hey, maybe a Grand Gathering in a year or so to show off our results will convince DH to try, too!) Alyson

Rhonda
05-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Welcome Alyson! That's a great idea! Let's see how we're all doing in a year, and maybe we can all get together! :cool1:

auntie
05-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Okay..I'm in. I would like to loose about 35 to 40 lbs. Actually I'd like to loose more than that..but hey, I'm being realistic as to what I can do..and what I'll maintain. I was thin most of my life..except the last 6-7 years..and it's crept up on me. 5 to 10 lbs a year..then bingo..you have all this exra weight. HOW THE HE** DOES THIS HAPPEN.:confused3 It's like when I hit 43- years old, it just started to come..and stay! The days of loosing five pounds in a week are GONE!. :sad: We(hubby and I) started a walking program at the high school track. We are doing about 2 miles every other day...and with the weather improving the plan is to do it every day. We walk at a very brisk rate..getting the heart rate up. I have to say, when I've done this in the past..the pounds started to drop, but then I'd burn out. That's why I started with the ever other day, trying to make this more about "health" than pounds. I haven't even weighed myself.(I'd have to jump out a second floor window..from the shock) and that wouldn't be pretty. (such a mess on the driveway too!:laughing: ) Trying to go at this from a health stand point, and honestly what woman can't tell just by the way her clothes are fitting(or streching! :rolleyes: ) that she needs to loose a few.

auntie
05-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Shannone, I went through this my daughter also. She turned 21 last month. She had the typical baby fat at around the same age. I wanted to mention that her pediatrician told me to never mention the word DIET to a teenage girl. Make it about eating right and increasing the exercise. Believe me he was right...when highschool started they get extremely self concious of their bodies. Frankly, you have 14 year olds that still have that puberty/baby fat thing going on..and 18 year olds who look like they want to be featured on the next Girls Gone Wild video:sad2: Makes the younger girls especially vulnerable. It's a tough age. She got through it...but I had to keep reminding her that she isn't a stick..and she had a "womanly" body.. and that includes curves.(letting her know that guys like a little curve helped too!) Now..she is 5'6" tall..weighs in at 130...she has muscle like you wouldn't believe..because she lifeguards. Avid swimmer..still is. Runs(she won't go to the track with dad and I..we're too slow!) She is an incredibly healthy eater. The Dining Plan for our last trip was a waste for her..she ate fruit and salads..not because she was dieting..but it's just the way she eats. Rotten kid!:mad:

happy_redhead
05-04-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm in! I lost 17 pounds about a year ago, but fell off the wagon. I have gained and lost the same five pounds since then.

I'd like to loose about 50 pounds, but I think I'll stick with 10 for the time being. As an adult with ADD, I have to set my goals small and go from there.

I agree, something about hitting your fortys....anybody know how that backfat just appears overnight?????:confused3 :confused3 :confused3

Where can we get a ticker? Good luck girls....and guys!

Rhonda
05-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Okay..I'm in. I would like to loose about 35 to 40 lbs. Actually I'd like to loose more than that..but hey, I'm being realistic as to what I can do..and what I'll maintain. I was thin most of my life..except the last 6-7 years..and it's crept up on me. 5 to 10 lbs a year..then bingo..you have all this exra weight. HOW THE HE** DOES THIS HAPPEN.:confused3 It's like when I hit 43- years old, it just started to come..and stay! The days of loosing five pounds in a week are GONE!. :sad: We(hubby and I) started a walking program at the high school track. We are doing about 2 miles every other day...and with the weather improving the plan is to do it every day. We walk at a very brisk rate..getting the heart rate up. I have to say, when I've done this in the past..the pounds started to drop, but then I'd burn out. That's why I started with the ever other day, trying to make this more about "health" than pounds. I haven't even weighed myself.(I'd have to jump out a second floor window..from the shock) and that wouldn't be pretty. (such a mess on the driveway too!:laughing: ) Trying to go at this from a health stand point, and honestly what woman can't tell just by the way her clothes are fitting(or streching! :rolleyes: ) that she needs to loose a few.

I know exactly what you mean! I'm 44 now, and it takes me 10 times as long to lose 5 pounds than it did just a few years ago!! :guilty: But, we can do this! You're an inspiration to me with your walking program! :banana:

I'm in! I lost 17 pounds about a year ago, but fell off the wagon. I have gained and lost the same five pounds since then.

I'd like to loose about 50 pounds, but I think I'll stick with 10 for the time being. As an adult with ADD, I have to set my goals small and go from there.

I agree, something about hitting your fortys....anybody know how that backfat just appears overnight?????:confused3 :confused3 :confused3

Where can we get a ticker? Good luck girls....and guys!

Welcome! Join the party! :dance3: Sometimes, small goals work much better than big ones! Baby steps!! :thumbsup2

poohbearwithme
05-04-2008, 01:13 PM
This is great idea!!! Thanks for doing it Rhonda. As someone who needs to lose over 100 lbs, I think it would easier with friends. I'm just the opposite of Rhonda, Low-fat works better for me. Low-carb makes fell tried and bloated all the time (and to be honest, it really is not a diet I could live with the rest of my life). I once lost 75 lbs on low-fat but gained it all back again (and then some) when I returned to my unhealthy eating habits. I also know that I need to exercise more. My dogs would probably like it better too, to get to go on more walks. Long term change (easier said than done) I know is the life long key to losing weight. I don't want to have surgery and I'm hoping being in the same boat and going though it together would make the stuggle to lose and keep off weight much easier. Thanks again.

VACAMPER
05-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Whoo Hoo! I'm so glad this is taking off. I will be doing weight watchers because it has definately worked for me in the past. I lost 58pds. but fell of the wagon around the holidays and boy is it coming back on fast. I try to hit the treadmill 5-6 days and do the firm sculpting and weight dvd three times a week. I'm not much on weights but i know they must be done. Another great dvd is the biggest loser.

REMEMBER- Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.

Good luck everyone! I will weigh in in the morning and start from there.

Rhonda
05-04-2008, 01:23 PM
This is great idea!!! Thanks for doing it Rhonda. As someone who needs to lose over 100 lbs, I think it would easier with friends. I'm just the opposite of Rhonda, Low-fat works better for me. Low-carb makes fell tried and bloated all the time (and to be honest, it really is not a diet I could live with the rest of my life). I once lost 75 lbs on low-fat but gained it all back again (and then some) when I returned to my unhealthy eating habits. I also know that I need to exercise more. My dogs would probably like it better too, to get to go on more walks. Long term change (easier said than done) I know is the life long key to losing weight. I don't want to have surgery and I'm hoping being in the same boat and going though it together would make the stuggle to lose and keep off weight much easier. Thanks again.

Wow - this is going to be great, all working together like this! Isn't it interesting how different diets work better with different bodies?

Whoo Hoo! I'm so glad this is taking off. I will be doing weight watchers because it has definately worked for me in the past. I lost 58pds. but fell of the wagon around the holidays and boy is it coming back on fast. I try to hit the treadmill 5-6 days and do the firm sculpting and weight dvd three times a week. I'm not much on weights but i know they must be done. Another great dvd is the biggest loser.

REMEMBER- Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.

Good luck everyone! I will weigh in in the morning and start from there.

Wow - you can be our official exercise guru! We have a great fitness center here in our community, and I've only been there twice. Maybe this will be my chance to get brave and try it again. :)

VACAMPER
05-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Exercise is a must for me. When i lost the weight before exercise was the key ingredient. My friend Christy and I worked out together every morning. We got out of the habit but, i called her and we're starting back up tomm. morning. I think all this support is gonna be great. Besides we've put it out there now to hundreds of dissers so failing is not an option.

BigDaddyRog
05-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Man...you folks are GREAT!!! I havent lost any weight in nearly a month!!! I dont exercise at all, and Im not on any kind of diet plan. One of the instructions given by my Doctor after I had my operation was to be sure to excercise daily.....I did it for about a week after and havent even made an attempt since. I would like to lose another 70 lbs......but Id be happy with another 50......so THATS IT. Im in......Im gonna start walking tomorrow morning, and will give a report on Friday....it'll be nice to have to change my weight loss ticker again!!!!

Thanks ya'll!!!!

momoffive
05-04-2008, 03:45 PM
Count me in. I need to get more active . My excuse is ,"but when?" We have a tread mill and bike and a Golds Gym. None of which get used more than 1-2 a month:rolleyes1 . This might be the motivation I need. 6 months til our next WDW vacation and our 15th anniversary. Would be nice to finally lose the baby weight. My babies are 7. Gained over 100 pounds with their pregnancy lost most but have gained a lot back, and I'm not pregnant. Can't blame it on the kiddos my whole life.
I'll keep my goals low to start and I'll join the:wishtwenty wish club
Loretta aka momoffive

momoffive
05-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Congratulation BDR on your weight lose so far:wish140 right!!
:jumping1:
Loretta aka momoffive

BigDaddyRog
05-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks.....but that just makes it all the more frustrating...to lose 147 with ZERO effort......and freeze there...but at least Im closer to where Id like to be, but this is where the work starts. I hate work!!

Rhonda
05-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Welcome Rog! I was hoping you'd join us and give us some inspiration!! :goodvibes We'll make it fun, so it doesn't seem like work! :rolleyes:

Loretta -- I knew you had five kids, but I never realized they were quintuplets!! (I know - most of the time I feel like I'm in my own little world, not paying attention to anything else, lol). Thanks for joining us!!

seabee
05-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Wow, Shannone and VACAMPER it looks like this has really taken off, I am so glad we can have a thread, thanks Rhonda!! Anyway, a little about me....

Hi I'm Nicole and I need to loose aprx. 50 lbs. That is my goal. I would like to be able to run and dance without peeing my pants:lmao: TMI? Sorry. I joke but it is true. I really want to just feel healthier, and drop 2 sizes. When I was in highschool I had surgery on my knee, and lately I have been having problems with it again, I think weight contributes to that. I really would like to be a good role model to my kids where health is concerned.

My plan is to cut back on needless calories, eat more veggies and fruits, and step up my excercising(which won't be hard since right now it is at a stand still). I will hopefully have some progress to report on Friday!! Good luck to everyone and I am so glad our little discussion last night has turned into such a great group!!!

Rhonda
05-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Hi Nicole! See what you started?? It's like magic! :wizard:

Now, if we can get our 50 pounds off like magic, then I'll really be happy! :cloud9:

All7OfUs
05-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Rhonda-

You aren't going to believe this! I just turned on my computer to go to the Weight Watchers site. Of course, I had to check on my trippie thread (the "Are you crazy..." one) to see if there were any new replies, and saw this first. (So I haven't quite made it to Weight Watchers yet) I've never seriously tried to lose weight before, but my husband's comments are getting more and more frequent, so I guess it's time to really get serious about doing something. I am around 117 right now, and I know that doesn't sound like it's horrendously out of control, but I'd really like to be back to 100 in 6 months. I think that's do-able.

SOOOO, long story short, I am VERY, VERY, VERY grateful this thread is here. I know I'm in good company, and I think for me it'll be very helpful to have cheerleaders along for my weight loss ride. I'm pretty competitive, not that this is a big competition but I think I need someone (you all) helping me along.

I hadn't planned on posting a lot once we returned overseas, but this will also keep me "in touch" with all you great, and nutty, people :cool1: :cool1: .

How are most people going to do this?? Post once a week after a weigh-in? Post everyday?? Would love to be part of this!!

Liesa

Rhonda
05-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Does anyone here use Fitday (http://www.fitday.com)? It's a great (and easy) way to track your weight loss, exercise, and what you eat! And, it's free!! :goodvibes

Rhonda
05-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Welcome Leisa!! It's great to have you join us!! :yay:

You can post as much or as little as you want! If once a week works for you, then that's fine! Or you can post every day! I guess I'll just post when I feel like it. :surfweb: I'm not going to try to stick to a schedule - because I'm really bad with schedules. :lmao:

seabee
05-04-2008, 04:37 PM
I think we had planned on posting our progress on Fridays and using eachother for support and ideas the rest of the time. Rhonda I'm going to check out that FitDay. I think the SELF magazine site had something too. I am going to check that out too.

I think it is great that we will have this, we can bounce recipes off eachother as well any advice or tricks. Then we will all look gorgeous for our Wild DisWomen Weekend!! We will definately need T Shirts now!:cheer2:

Shannone1
05-04-2008, 04:37 PM
How are most people going to do this?? Post once a week after a weigh-in? Post everyday?? Would love to be part of this!!

Liesa

Well, last night we were talking about a Friday morning weigh in. Just state your loss/gain/stay the same....you don't have to say your actual weight.

Of course we will be happy to hear about your losses/struggles or anything else on any day ;)

All7OfUs
05-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Sounds good! I'll stick to the Friday weigh- in thing and post then. Unless, of course, our power is out, which is entirely likely. :confused3

Thanks for the tip about Fitday. I'll go check it out now...

Rhonda
05-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Ok...so you're going to make me do a schedule. :headache: Well, fine then. Fridays it is! :woohoo:

terri01p
05-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Can't really talk now , stepping out the door but I'm also in, I need to lose 50 pounds and I signed up for fitday two weeks ago and really like it.

Yea I'm going to eat fat tonight to get it out of my system...lol...:laughing:

Talk later Terri

Momof626x3
05-04-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm in! I would really like to lose about 30 lbs. I was doing really well back in 2006 and then I started to put weight back on. I have a fear of my scale so I won't actually weigh myself...at least not yet. I may as I go along and start to feel good about myself. My plan is to eat less junk...especially eat less sugar...and I want to walk the treadmill 5 days a week. I really haven't been exercising at all. And I think my biggest problem is sugar...I have a huge problem giving it up! So I won't be weighing myself, but I want to be accountable for exercising 5 days a week and eating less sugar! That being said, I am going to WDW in 6 days. I'm hoping all of the walking will kind of make me "break even" with all of the calories (ahem, "mickey ice cream bars", ahem, margaritas, ahem). And calories in Disney don't count, right??? :rotfl:

terri01p
05-04-2008, 05:04 PM
OK really fast run down on my story :

I quit work back in 2003 back then I was a flight attentant for British Airways and weighted about 130 and since then have just gotten comfortable at home ( or some can call it lazy :rolleyes1 ) and have continued to get more comfortable evey year. :scared1:

I really have more weight I would love to lose other than 50 pounds but if I make 50 my goal I will be more likely to make it, so 50 is my goal that I feel at this point is doable.

I have a lowfat diet from my doctor that I'm starting up on monday so we'll see how that goes. I will be walking about 1 mile and a half during the week ( that's all I can do at this point ), I have signed up with fitday to kind of keep a diary of the madness.

I'll pass along some tips tomorrow from my doctor she has some good ones for dieters. Good luck everyone !

All7OfUs
05-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Just did the FitDay thing. It's easy to use- already have my first day's food logged in, and now that I"ve logged in that I walked a mile, I guess I better get my buns away from the computer and go do- can't have lies now can we?? Then it's back to my 400 calorie dinner I'm preparing :)

Rhonda
05-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Welcome Terri and Naomi!! :grouphug:

Naomi - cutting sugar will be great for you! And, you'll be surprised at how good you feel after getting it out of your system!!

Terri - I'm looking forward to hearing the tips from your doctor! The more tips we get, the better!

We4mickey
05-04-2008, 05:34 PM
:goodvibes Okay, girls I saw this last night. I'm in, if you can do it so can I. I did really well a few years ago, lost weight and was working out on my pilates system. I love it. However, I have 2 herniated discs in my back and had a severe issue with that. Needless to say, I could not do the pilates or much else because my leg was numb and I was in such pain. I have put back on all the weight and more. It doesn't help that I have been so stressed out with work lately. Took an extra job, had a possible promotion, possible closing of store etc. I eat when I am stressed or tired and trying to stay awake. I get up for work at 3:45am for my second job and depending on my schedule at my "real" job I work either til 6pm or 9:30pm. Needless to say I am really going to have to find time and some kind of excersise I can do. My second job is irritating my back again. I have worked over 60 hours a week for the last 3 weeks, but I think things are going to slow down again. Now you've heard me whine, but I am all in! I have a party tonight, but I will be on my best behavior as of tomorrow. After all, I have to try that coconut cake DebbieT11 posted. :goodvibes

happy_redhead
05-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Anybody got any ideas on how to quit sweet tea?????:drinking1 :drinking1

Living in the south all my life, it's hard to imagine dinner without it! I've tried the artificial sweeteners, but they are migraine city for me!

It seems I do well for a time drinking water, but then, I'm out having a nice dinner and just can't help myself!

SooOOOoo, these are my goals this week.....check out FitDay, and drink WATER! Next week I'll add something else to it!

Great idea...thanks girls,:worship:

Betsy

VACAMPER
05-04-2008, 06:32 PM
Is case anyone wants to check it out I posted a recipe for Hawaiian Chicken Kebobs on the recipe sticky a couple of days ago. It's great for camping and it's lowfat. It's also very good. I do sometimes cook the white rice in fat free chicken broth for extra flavor. If you don't like rice (like my DH) then instant mashed potatoes is an option. They have some great flavors out there now.

Rhonda
05-04-2008, 07:17 PM
:goodvibes Okay, girls I saw this last night. I'm in, if you can do it so can I. I did really well a few years ago, lost weight and was working out on my pilates system. I love it. However, I have 2 herniated discs in my back and had a severe issue with that. Needless to say, I could not do the pilates or much else because my leg was numb and I was in such pain. I have put back on all the weight and more. It doesn't help that I have been so stressed out with work lately. Took an extra job, had a possible promotion, possible closing of store etc. I eat when I am stressed or tired and trying to stay awake. I get up for work at 3:45am for my second job and depending on my schedule at my "real" job I work either til 6pm or 9:30pm. Needless to say I am really going to have to find time and some kind of excersise I can do. My second job is irritating my back again. I have worked over 60 hours a week for the last 3 weeks, but I think things are going to slow down again. Now you've heard me whine, but I am all in! I have a party tonight, but I will be on my best behavior as of tomorrow. After all, I have to try that coconut cake DebbieT11 posted. :goodvibes

Welcome!! We'll be here for you! I'm going to reward my 50 pounds lost with coconut cake too! :lovestruc

Living in the south all my life, it's hard to imagine dinner without it! I've tried the artificial sweeteners, but they are migraine city for me!

It seems I do well for a time drinking water, but then, I'm out having a nice dinner and just can't help myself!

SooOOOoo, these are my goals this week.....check out FitDay, and drink WATER! Next week I'll add something else to it!

Betsy, here's one of my favorite "diet" drinks: Just take a glass of water and add a spash of cranberry juice! It's also good made with Club Soda instead of regular water! :D

CCIntrigue
05-04-2008, 07:19 PM
I just celebrated my five year Atkins anniversary ... went low carb and lost 76 pounds and have kept it off! Went from a size 16-18 to a 2-4. Will be happy to lend moral support to anyone who needs it!

cyberdeb
05-04-2008, 07:43 PM
I am in too. I had gastric bypass back in December and i am down 77 pounds as of today, i have 59 more to go. It has been going very well. At this point i need to excersise more to get in better shape. :yay: I was out shopping today with my dd and my feet and legs are killing me. I dont know how i am going to survive my disney trip next month.

djblu883
05-04-2008, 08:19 PM
Have you tried Stevia? You can find it in most healthfood stores and is great in cold drinks...it shouldn't give you a headache.I have to stay away from caffine...it causes you to retain fluid BTW but if it doesn't bother you i highly suggest stevia...also makes a GREAT lemonade!!!:hippie:

Great idea...thanks girls,:worship:

Betsy

djblu883
05-04-2008, 08:22 PM
I have tried Atkins and it actually made me gain weight. I have thyroid disease so I'm not sure if that is why it doesn't work for me or not...very frustrating...I'm not a big carb person either...but right now I can't seem to make anything work!!! grrrrrrrrr. I'm in and gonna start at 10 pounds...I'm gonna weigh in tomorrow...and each Fri. from now on...

I just celebrated my five year Atkins anniversary ... went low carb and lost 76 pounds and have kept it off! Went from a size 16-18 to a 2-4. Will be happy to lend moral support to anyone who needs it!

Rhonda
05-04-2008, 08:39 PM

Wow - that is so great that you've been able to keep it off!! I will definitely need you for support this time! I lost 60 pounds on Atkins a few years ago, then fell apart and went back to my old eating habits and gained it all back. :sad2:

I am where you were when you started (16-18) and my goal is to be a comfortable 10. (I'm 5-8, and I couldn't be down below a 10).

Thanks for the support!!! :hug:

Rhonda
05-04-2008, 08:41 PM
I am in too. I had gastric bypass back in December and i am down 77 pounds as of today, i have 59 more to go. It has been going very well. At this point i need to excersise more to get in better shape. :yay: I was out shopping today with my dd and my feet and legs are killing me. I dont know how i am going to survive my disney trip next month.

Woo-hoo!! You're doing great!! You must feel fantastic, compared to how you felt before! Keep it up! :thumbsup2

auntie
I'm in! I would really like to lose about 30 lbs. I was doing really well back in 2006 and then I started to put weight back on. I have a fear of my scale so I won't actually weigh myself...at least not yet. I may as I go along and start to feel good about myself. My plan is to eat less junk...especially eat less sugar...and I want to walk the treadmill 5 days a week. I really haven't been exercising at all. And I think my biggest problem is sugar...I have a huge problem giving it up! So I won't be weighing myself, but I want to be accountable for exercising 5 days a week and eating less sugar! That being said, I am going to WDW in 6 days. I'm hoping all of the walking will kind of make me "break even" with all of the calories (ahem, "mickey ice cream bars", ahem, margaritas, ahem). And calories in Disney don't count, right??? :rotfl:

Dont worry.....I'm not weighing in quite yet either. I just don't want to make it about the scale quite yet. I mean I know I'd like to loose about 35-40 lbs..because I also think realistically I could maintain that, even though I'd wouldn't mind loosing more! If I start weighing in..it will just depress me. Then I have an excuse to say "why bother". So....I'm sticking with the walking my husband and I started doing recently. He had some surgery and it's kind of focused us back on eating better and getting healthy. I figure the weight will come off. (God I pray the weight comes off!:sad2: ) We cut out sweets(My sister says she looses 10 pounds just throwing out the Entenmans cakes!) I'm not sure if that's her or the weight of the boxes!. :laughing:

Sonoma
I would like to lose 15 pounds. In all honesty, I just need to adopt some a healthier lifestyle. We have 4 great kids that seem to have endless energy but I just feel tired all of the time. I seem to have more energy when I watch my fat intake. I would also like to get into an exercise routine, we are a fairly active family but I don't go out of my way to exercise. We do however own many pieces of exercise equipment and I must say they make excellent clothes drying racks. :)

Rhonda
05-04-2008, 08:44 PM
I have tried Atkins and it actually made me gain weight. I have thyroid disease so I'm not sure if that is why it doesn't work for me or not...very frustrating...I'm not a big carb person either...but right now I can't seem to make anything work!!! grrrrrrrrr. I'm in and gonna start at 10 pounds...I'm gonna weigh in tomorrow...and each Fri. from now on...

It could be that carbs aren't your problem - since you say you're not a big carb person. I'm definitely a carb addict, and that's where my problems are. Maybe just eating sensibly and exercising will do it for you! Whatever way you choose, we're here to help!! :)

Rhonda
05-04-2008, 08:47 PM
I would like to lose 15 pounds. In all honesty, I just need to adopt some a healthier lifestyle. We have 4 great kids that seem to have endless energy but I just feel tired all of the time. I seem to have more energy when I watch my fat intake. I would also like to get into an exercise routine, we are a fairly active family but I don't go out of my way to exercise. We do however own many pieces of exercise equipment and I must say they make excellent clothes drying racks. :)

:lmao: Yes they do!!

Maybe you could start with walking - something easier so it doesn't seem like such a chore right away? I'll bet once you start, you'll start getting more energy and will work into using those clothes drying racks!

Drewsmommybear
05-04-2008, 08:55 PM
I'm in! I could stand to lose a good 50 pounds. The thing is, when i met my husband, I was very fit and then life got the best of me. In 2003, we started Weight Watchers together. We were doing very well...until I got pregnant. Now I am the happy mother of a three year old and he's 134 pounds lighter. So, I feel some pressure to be healthier for him and for my son. He runs in all of these races and was even spotlighted on television for his hard work in losing all that weight. I think I would feel better and I think it would make him happier too.

So it's not like I don't know how to do it. I mean, geez, I have my own personal trainer in the house. :rotfl2: It's just finding the time and effort and having a support team. This could be good for me.

So, it's back to weight watchers which really works for me and it's time to start exercising! :cheer2:

Sonoma
05-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Maybe you could start with walking - something easier so it doesn't seem like such a chore right away? I'll bet once you start, you'll start getting more energy and will work into using those clothes drying racks!

We have a tread mill so I think that I'll set a goal of 20 minutes a morning to start with. I also have a bike with a child trailer and now that the weather is nicer, I'll be able to do that a few times a week.

I'm also going to commit to taking my vitamins on a daily basis. I know that I should take them but I don't usually remember to do so.

des1954
05-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Man...you folks are GREAT!!! I havent lost any weight in nearly a month!!! I dont exercise at all, and Im not on any kind of diet plan. One of the instructions given by my Doctor after I had my operation was to be sure to excercise daily.....I did it for about a week after and havent even made an attempt since. I would like to lose another 70 lbs......but Id be happy with another 50......so THATS IT. Im in......Im gonna start walking tomorrow morning, and will give a report on Friday....it'll be nice to have to change my weight loss ticker again!!!!

Thanks ya'll!!!!

Lots & lots of HUGS for Rog!!! :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

We want to keep you around for many years to come - so I'm glad to hear this has perked you up to getting back in the swing of things. Don't let all you've gone thru to get this far be in vain.

I should lose about 80lbs.... realistically any weight loss will be an improvement! I think I'll go the Healthy Choice route due to the convenience. I know it's a lot of sodium, but hey, they make diuretics for that!! Better living thru chemistry!! My exercise comes from working at the Home Depot. I've discovered muscles I forgot I had!! <oh, the pain> Once I become more acclimated to the job, I'll probably add walking and/or bike riding to the repertoire.

Thanks for getting this started Rhonda!!

3gr8kids
05-04-2008, 09:00 PM
Hey everyone,

Sorry, I posted over on the useless facts thread and then I found this one. So, I'll try to cut and paste it here......

I'm in if it's okay with you all!! I need to lose between 40-50, too. Although, I REALLY don't see it happening considering I have to have my M&M's every night. Do they make them in low-cal?? I guess I'll just have to work out twice as much because I don't see myself giving them up. Hey, a girl needs her fix, okay?

My DD's are the same as yours - older one is built just like I was at her age - not overweight, but curvy and solid. My 2nd DD (I swear she's got the tape worm or somethin - she eats more than my DH - no lie), is nothing but skinny, all arms and legs.

I've always weighed more than people guess, too. My DH tells them I'm just dense. Yeah - Mr. Funny, LOL. My doc always checks the scale twice because he can't believe the actual number, either. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing?

Anyway, count me in for the weight loss group, and also for the last day of the DIS girls gone wild weekend (we arrive on the 19th). WAHOOO!

djblu883
05-04-2008, 09:00 PM
everything in my fridge, freezer and cabinets is low fat or fat free, low carb and low sugar...i have adapted to this for many years and it just seems my body has become accustomed to this and now won't let me loose weight. At work I walk long distances all day long...and exercise with my patients and stay VERY busy when I'm there....i think the problem is when I come back to the TT and VEG in front of my computer.I'm on the road for work...can't join a gym because I'm not anywhere for more than 13 weeks at a time...and some places just aren't a good area to walk in like now...When I go home...I work hard all day or run errands...spend little time down except bedtime...far from a couch potato.....i'm feeling very frustrated...I need my JAWS wired shut!!!!!! But I'm also hypoglycemic so I can' do fasting diets..allergic to soy...I want Oprah to HELP!!!:headache: :guilty: :confused: :scared:

3gr8kids
05-04-2008, 09:01 PM
It worked!! :thumbsup2

mrsscooter
05-04-2008, 09:49 PM
I am glad to see that I am not alone on this too. I also need to loose about 50lbs. My weakness is carbs as well.. If its bread, rice, potatoes, pasta or bread......did I mention bread? I will eat it. So, my plan is to start tomorrow and get back to walking in the morning and just not eating carbs, or at least trying to limit them. So, wish me luck........and I wish all of you guys the same!:cheer2:

the5coops
05-04-2008, 11:45 PM
What great timing! We returned from Disney yesterday and both DH and I have started eating correctly again. I always get motivated after returning from Disney because we do so much walking. I plan to continue to cut out sugar and eat veggies, fruit and whole grains. I would love to lose 60 lbs.

So glad I checked the boards before bed!

Shelley

Rhonda
05-05-2008, 06:44 AM
Welcome to everybody that joined last night after I went to bed!! Wow - this is going to be great!! :cool1: :banana:

I weighed myself this morning to get a good starting point, and I'm ready to go!

I had two Flax/Cranberry fat-free, low-sugar "cookies" with coffee this morning to get started. For lunch I'm having a turkey sandwich on whole grain bread, with a thin slice of cheddar cheese and mustard. I haven't figured out dinner yet. I'll know better later on, after I wake up the rest of the way. :)

I hope everyone has a great day!! It's the first day of the rest of our thinner, healthy lives!!! :dance3:

VACAMPER
05-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Good morning everyone. I weighed in as well this morning. It wasn't pretty but i did it. I'm going to start off with a weight watcher blueberry muffin and a banana for breakfast. Then i'm going to get the kids off to school and hopefully the 3 year old will watch Mickey Mouse clubhouse while i exercise. Hope everyone has a great first day.

CaptKen
05-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Yo Happy Redhead, try Crystal Lite flavoreed tea. Good stuff and non fattening.

I also am width challenged. After noticing several friends losing weight, I asked their secret. Seems their doctor had put them on a twice a day injection of a drug called Byetta for pre diabetic reasons. Seems the side effect of the drug is weight loss.
Well I spoke to my doctor about using the drug for weight loss since breaking my leg last year has still slowed me down in the excercise mode. After blood tests and a physical, he prescribed the injection. The first month shed 10 pounds. I don't know how it does it, but it stops the craving for food and snacks.

happy_redhead
05-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Yo Happy Redhead, try Crystal Lite flavoreed tea. Good stuff and non fattening.

Thanks for the idea....I do like Crystal Lite and I simply forgot it existed! The cranberry and soda ideas is a good one too, I'll have to try it.

I also am width challenged. After noticing several friends losing weight, I asked their secret. Seems their doctor had put them on a twice a day injection of a drug called Byetta for pre diabetic reasons. Seems the side effect of the drug is weight loss.
Well I spoke to my doctor about using the drug for weight loss since breaking my leg last year has still slowed me down in the excercise mode. After blood tests and a physical, he prescribed the injection. The first month shed 10 pounds. I don't know how it does it, but it stops the craving for food and snacks.

I'm an adult with ADD (wait...did I mention that before???) and my Doc has me on Adderall. Fortunately one of the side-effects is appetite loss, so that helps!

I haven't had the courage to step on the scales this morning, BUT I WILL!

Betsy

BigDaddyRog
05-05-2008, 08:26 AM
Byetta ..... it stops the craving for food and snacks.

Sounds miraculous........does it make you grow gills or a tail or something???? I could hide a tail!!!!

PolynesianPixie
05-05-2008, 08:39 AM
I need to loose about 20 lbs. I'd be happy with 10, though! :lmao: I had surgery a few years ago, spent A LOT of time on the couch, ate junk and gained 60 lbs!!!!:scared1: Just getting back into my regular routine made me loose some of it, a little effort made me loose some more. Now I have joined Weight Watchers to get off the rest. I LOVE it! Not only am I counting points, but it reminds me to drink water, take vitamins, exercise, etc.! Sometimes I need to be reminded about these things!

I do exercise, but I know I need to step it up. I've chosen things that are fun to do. I love to take walks, do yoga, bellydancing and hula-hooping. I really should get in some weights and try running in addition to my walks.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!! For this thread! Sometimes being held accountable can make ALL the difference!:cheer2:

Dang, we will be HOT for Wild Dis Weekend!!!!!:banana:

PolynesianPixie
05-05-2008, 08:46 AM
Have you tried Stevia? You can find it in most healthfood stores and is great in cold drinks...it shouldn't give you a headache.I have to stay away from caffine...it causes you to retain fluid BTW but if it doesn't bother you i highly suggest stevia...also makes a GREAT lemonade!!!:hippie:

Stevia is great! You can get it in liquid form in many different flavors. The Lemon is particularly good in tea! I also like to put chocolate flavored in a glass of skim milk!

PolynesianPixie
05-05-2008, 08:47 AM
everything in my fridge, freezer and cabinets is low fat or fat free, low carb and low sugar...i have adapted to this for many years and it just seems my body has become accustomed to this and now won't let me loose weight. At work I walk long distances all day long...and exercise with my patients and stay VERY busy when I'm there....i think the problem is when I come back to the TT and VEG in front of my computer.I'm on the road for work...can't join a gym because I'm not anywhere for more than 13 weeks at a time...and some places just aren't a good area to walk in like now...When I go home...I work hard all day or run errands...spend little time down except bedtime...far from a couch potato.....i'm feeling very frustrated...I need my JAWS wired shut!!!!!! But I'm also hypoglycemic so I can' do fasting diets..allergic to soy...I want Oprah to HELP!!!:headache: :guilty: :confused: :scared:

Ever think about Curves? They're everywhere and as long as you're a member at one, you can use any of them!

VACAMPER
05-05-2008, 08:52 AM
Ami, Are you actually going to the WW meetings? I did the meetings before and loved them. With gas prices and where i live i'm trying it on my own this time. If I don't do as well i may start the meetings back. If i start them back we might as well go together.

Did you have a fun cinco de mayo party sat?

PolynesianPixie
05-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Ami, Are you actually going to the WW meetings? I did the meetings before and loved them. With gas prices and where i live i'm trying it on my own this time. If I don't do as well i may start the meetings back. If i start them back we might as well go together.

Did you have a fun cinco de mayo party sat?

Our party was great! I drove past your house twice on Saturday! How about your party?

I haven't gone to any meetings. I joined WW online and thought if I needed a boost I'd start going. But yeah, if you'd like to go, I'd definately join you! We should also try to get together and walk or something!

Now, I'm not trying to discourage you in any way here! But 50-60 pounds????? Girl, 60 lbs from where? I mean, I know it's all relative and being comfortable in your own body, and stuff. But you look fabulous!

VACAMPER
05-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Gee, Thanks but when i lost the 58 pounds i looked more fabulous.:lmao: I've gained 38 pounds back. Remenber i'm almost 6ft. tall so trust me it's there. Mostly in my thighs and backside.:rotfl:

You should have stopped in on sat to see me. I managed to stay home all day on a sat. which is very rare for us. Glad you had a good time.

seabee
05-05-2008, 09:32 AM
I do exercise, but I know I need to step it up. I've chosen things that are fun to do. I love to take walks, do yoga, bellydancing and hula-hooping. I really should get in some weights and try running in addition to my walks.

My mother was doing bellydancing and said it was one heck of a workout. She said her stomach muscles were screaming after the first few classes. I am going to look into some of these "alternative" activities that might make excercising more fun. I did just pre buy the Wii Fit system. It is suppose to be awesome. It has yoga, strength, and cardio.

I weighed in this moring:scared1: I also measured. :faint: So I am set to go. Got a question for you all though. I looked all over my coffee can, anyone know aprx. how many calories in just black coffee? I know my creamer, but the coffee itself must have some.:confused3

I told my husband that my goal was 50 lbs. and he said that was too much and I would look sick.:sad2: Nice guy, but he is a liar!:laughing: If I loose 50 lbs it will put me 5 lbs under my DELIVERY weight of my first baby. That's my goal and I am sticking to it! Good Luck everyone and Congrats on starting a healthier life!:dance3:

Rhonda
05-05-2008, 09:38 AM
My mother was doing bellydancing and said it was one heck of a workout. She said her stomach muscles were screaming after the first few classes. I am going to look into some of these "alternative" activities that might make excercising more fun. I did just pre buy the Wii Fit system. It is suppose to be awesome. It has yoga, strength, and cardio.

DH says I should get a pole! :lmao: :lmao:

I weighed in this moring:scared1: I also measured. :faint: So I am set to go. Got a question for you all though. I looked all over my coffee can, anyone know aprx. how many calories in just black coffee? I know my creamer, but the coffee itself must have some.:confused3

Black coffee has no calories. But caffeine inhibits weight loss in some people, so you'll have to watch it and see what happens.

I don't like "creamer" because it's full of chemicals, oils, etc. So, I stick with plain half & half. I know the fat content is high, but for me it evens out because it's very low in sugars and carbs. :)

PolynesianPixie
05-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Gee, Thanks but when i lost the 58 pounds i looked more fabulous.:lmao: I've gained 38 pounds back. Remenber i'm almost 6ft. tall so trust me it's there. Mostly in my thighs and backside.:rotfl:

You should have stopped in on sat to see me. I managed to stay home all day on a sat. which is very rare for us. Glad you had a good time.

Touche! :lmao: I hear you. I think I'd be happy with 10 pounds lost, but I know if I loose the 21 that WW says I should loose, I will be much happier! And much more comfortable in a bathing suit this summer!

When are you planning to come to Chrisitansburg again? We should do the Huckleberry Trail!

PolynesianPixie
05-05-2008, 09:44 AM

I told my husband that my goal was 50 lbs. and he said that was too much and I would look sick.:sad2: Nice guy, but he is a liar!:laughing: If I loose 50 lbs it will put me 5 lbs under my DELIVERY weight of my first baby. That's my goal and I am sticking to it! Good Luck everyone and Congrats on starting a healthier life!:dance3:

It's true that if you enjoy your exercise routine, you are much more likely to stick with it! Belly dancing is great for the tummy, but also those back muscles you never knew you had!

Supportive hubbies are the best! Mine says he doesn't care if I weigh 100 pounds or 200 pounds...but he loves the glow I have when I feel good about myself!

PolynesianPixie
05-05-2008, 09:46 AM

:lmao: I hear it's wonderful exercise!

Black coffee has no calories. But caffeine inhibits weight loss in some people, so you'll have to watch it and see what happens.

:)

So far, I haven't been able to give up my coffee. baby steps......

VACAMPER
05-05-2008, 09:58 AM
I don't know about belly dancing, i have to many rolls.:rotfl: I did take a clogging class one time and that was so much fun and alot of exercise. The only problem was i'm not that cordinated and my daughter and neice were in the advanced class and were very good. My class was after theirs so they had to sit and wait on me so hearing them snicker and laugh at every move i made didn't help. Little snots!:lmao:

I will be in c-burg tomm. or wed. not sure yet but would love to do the trail. I'll let you know later on today. Can your short legs keep up with mine? lol. you may get to try out jogging.:rotfl:

My husband says he doesn't care. I believe him since he probably would have divorced me years ago if he did. When your thinner you do feel better about yourself and that tends to make everyone happy around us. When i was at my thinnest it also increased a certain drive (cough, cough) in me. If you know what i mean. That always makes a man happy.:lmao:

PolynesianPixie
05-05-2008, 10:28 AM
I don't know about belly dancing, i have to many rolls.:rotfl: I did take a clogging class one time and that was so much fun and alot of exercise. The only problem was i'm not that cordinated and my daughter and neice were in the advanced class and were very good. My class was after theirs so they had to sit and wait on me so hearing them snicker and laugh at every move i made didn't help. Little snots!:lmao:

I don't know if you've ever watched a belly dancer or not, but all the good ones have rolls!:lmao:

I will be in c-burg tomm. or wed. not sure yet but would love to do the trail. I'll let you know later on today. Can your short legs keep up with mine? lol. you may get to try out jogging.:rotfl:

Let me know when you'll be here! I wanted to try jogging anyway! :rotfl:

My husband says he doesn't care. I believe him since he probably would have divorced me years ago if he did. When your thinner you do feel better about yourself and that tends to make everyone happy around us. When i was at my thinnest it also increased a certain drive (cough, cough) in me. If you know what i mean. That always makes a man happy.:lmao:

Yep! Who needs champagne and oysters????? A little confidence is the best aphrodesiac around! Now if we could just find a way to bottle that!

Shannone1
05-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Good morning and welcome everyone else to the club :)

I also weighed in this morning and am now depressed. I know it had to be done though. I have to hold myself accountable. I also know that I can't measure my progress unless I know where I am starting from.

For breakfast I had a South Beach high fiber bar. I am not a breakfast eater...don't like eating in the mornings...but it is VERY important to eat something when you get up. It gets your metabolism up and going for the day :thumbsup2

terri01p
05-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Hello All, just checking in : I weighted this morning ( not pretty ). I started not to weight because I didn't want to be depressed but I figured the weight is there no matter if I weight in or not so I might as well.

I had for breakfast one piece of toast on diet bread and jam spead very thinly, one glass of water. I'm saving my calories for lunchon with some friends :scared1: that's going to be hard.

For supper will be chicken stir-fry. So we will see what happens. Good luck to everyone today ! :grouphug:

auntie
05-05-2008, 11:38 AM

I don't like "creamer" because it's full of chemicals, oils, etc. So, I stick with plain half & half. I know the fat content is high, but for me it evens out because it's very low in sugars and carbs. :)

Maybe he should consider getting the pole...:cutie: Wonder how he'd feel about that?:laughing:

I'm not giving up my coffee either. I also use a small amount of half and half. Have tried the no fat variety..but my husband really hates it. For the amount I use(I take my coffee dark, no sugar or sweetner) it's not making me fat. I ran this past my Dr. when my cholestoral came back high. He said for the amount I use..it's not the culprit. More likely in my case..we have a family history of high cholestoral. So I'm on medication and it did bring it down to under 200. Where as my husband who eats the same food in the same house has the Cholestoral of an damn Eskimo(130)...go figure:rolleyes: . I mean I'm happy for him (and my kids..theirs is low also)...but sheesh.:rolleyes1
Anyway with the coffee..it stays. In particular the morning coffee. There's NO WAY I can start my day without coffee....and you sure wouldn't want to be around me if I didn't have it!:scared: It ain't pretty.!

3gr8kids
05-05-2008, 11:43 AM
There's NO WAY I can start my day without coffee....and you sure wouldn't want to be around me if I didn't have it!:scared: It ain't pretty.!

Ditto here :thumbsup2

PolynesianPixie
05-05-2008, 12:23 PM
So far so good! I had strawberries and a low-fat cheese stick for breakfast and left-over shashimi tuna, brown rice and salad for lunch.

What are some things that save your diet?????? For example, if I'm hungry and made bad choices earlier in the day, I like a good veggie soup. It can be filling, but not calorie dense. I also use a very flavorfull goat cheese on soups and salads. A little bit goes a long way. Low fat popcorn has saved me more than once, too when I want something crunchy and salty!

VACAMPER
05-05-2008, 12:36 PM
You can't go wrong with popcorn. When i need a candy bar i choose 3 musketeers mint. On weight watchers its only 3pts which is great for a candy bar.WW big fudge bars are great as well. I try to put alot of fruit with breakfast and lunch. I also do soup for dinner if i've over done it during the day. Sometimes if i feel hungery i just drink a glass of water. Sometimes our bodies are more thirsty than hungry. Exercise also curves hunger and makes the time pass until we can eat again.:rotfl: At night if i'm starving i just go to bed.:lmao:

Sonoma
05-05-2008, 12:51 PM
I weighed myself this morning too (and that's all I'm going to say about that :) ). I walked for 20 minutes, I know it's not much but it's a start. I've also been up and down the stairs a bunch this morning doing laundry. Sounds like we're all off to a good start!

Deffenm
05-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Hello, I would love to join. I have 75 pounds to lose. I am going to start weight watchers again because it is the only thing I have found that works. I don't post much but I will post here every Friday with an update. I have a wonderful DH and 3 kids and I just can't keep up with them with all of this "extra" weight. My kids are adopted so I can't use them as an excuse. I just eat the wrong things and don't exercise. I am starting small with the exercise and using a pedometer to try to get in 10,000 steps a day. If I say I am going to workout so many days a week I will find an excuse not to do it. Good luck to everyone! WE CAN DO IT!

Rhonda
05-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Foods that "save" me, and I always try to have on hand:

sugar free ice cream, popsicles, jello, yogurt
beef jerkey
string cheese
Atkins Advantage bars
Flax muffins/bread

and when I need something special, I sit down with a good romance novel, and a little plate of gourmet cheese, grapes, and almonds and a glass of Cabernet. Oh, and a couple of small pieces of dark chocolate. Very low carb and healthy! :thumbsup2

(That's just for my type of diet --- this obviously won't work with a low fat or WW diet)

des1954
05-05-2008, 02:22 PM
After noticing several friends losing weight, I asked their secret. Seems their doctor had put them on a twice a day injection of a drug called Byetta for pre diabetic reasons. Seems the side effect of the drug is weight loss.

I'm glad the Byetta worked for you, Ken! My Dr. put me on in last August because I am now a type II diabetic. I did lose weight - - - but only because the danged side effects made me sicker than a dog! It didn't do anything to control my sugar, but it sure made me hurl! Yuk!!

BigDaddyRog
05-05-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm glad the Byetta worked for you, Ken! My Dr. put me on in last August because I am now a type II diabetic. I did lose weight - - - but only because the danged side effects made me sicker than a dog! It didn't do anything to control my sugar, but it sure made me hurl! Yuk!!

Heeeey.....Ima HURLER too!!!!

des1954
05-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Glad to make your acquaintance, Ima!! :thumbsup2 What say we meet up on,,,, lemme see,,, May 24th??? Yeah.. that works for me!

Rhonda
05-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Heeeey.....Ima HURLER too!!!!

Eating Disorder Help (http://www.helpguide.org/mental/eating_disorder_treatment.htm)

BigDaddyRog
05-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Eating Disorder Help (http://www.helpguide.org/mental/eating_disorder_treatment.htm):lmao: LOL...my hurling is caused by overeating....so I am packin double disorder duties!!!

Im a little like a lama...I can hurl on command and with precise accuracy!!!

Momof626x3
05-05-2008, 03:03 PM
I did 30 minutes on the treadmill last night and added 50 sit ups to it. I'll get back on it tonight...it works better for me at night because I am NOT a morning person, and if I wait until after the kids go to bed I can listen to music and work out uninterrupted! :woohoo: This week is "Mothers Day Week" at my sons' tae kwon do school so I get to take some classes with them. :scared: I'm starting small with my 4 year olds class tonight!

I can't give up coffee either. I gave it up for all of my pregnancies. Now I NEED it just to have something to look forward to in the morning!

I tried the 10,000 steps on a pedometer thing a year or so ago and it really works! :thumbsup2 It was a lot harder to get 10,000 steps a day then I thought it would be.

BigDaddyRog
05-05-2008, 03:28 PM
It was a lot harder to get 10,000 steps a day then I thought it would be.Take smaller steps????;)

happy_redhead
05-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Nope....Not giving up my coffee either!!!! I only have one cup anyway, and I do look forward to it. My DH and I sit down every morning and have our coffee together.

One of the stylist I work with used a pedometer and the 10,000 steps thing. She liked the challenge. I'm going to give that a try.

Breakfast was a bowl of oatmeal, lunch consisted of some hummus and crackers, and dinner....who knows! I'll be at the baseball field until late, so it may be something quite unhealthy there. I may pack a dinner.

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions!

Betsy

BigDaddyRog
05-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Well...this is gonna sound awful.....but I had 2 sausage patties, 2 slices of toast and a scoop of mayo for bfast(no fat grams there right?), had half of a roastbeef poboy for lunch(but was only able to keep half of it down, so that makes it 1/4)...Im gonna take the grandson for a 1hr walk this evening in his stroller. I dont think Im gonna have dinner....wifes working and I hate to cook, and Im still a little stuffed from the bfast & lunch.....probably have a glass of skim for dinner.
I hadnt thought about the caffienne preventing weight loss.....that may be my problem for this last month. Ive been drinking the Monster Java coffee drinks alot.....like 9 a week!!! Granted, I dont think its real coffee...but they are crammed with caffienne and all that other energy stuff that everybodys using these days......I LOVE these drinks...but maybe I should stop them. Ive broken tougher habits than this.....no more monster for me.

CaptKen
05-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Dang, this thread is running amuck. No tails yet with the Byetta but have noticed a third eyeball. But then it might be a huge zit. Haven't had the urge to hurl yet but you do have to eat within an hour of taking the injection. I have pushed the limit on failing to eat and didn't feel very well. Sticking myself with that tiny needle the first time was a challange. Wife had to do it the first time so show me it didn't hurt, I was OK doing it myself after that.

Shannone1
05-05-2008, 04:58 PM
b- South Beach bar
l- one lean pocket, one serving baked chips
d- 1 cup beed stroganoff, 1/2 cup pease

snacks- apple, low cal popcorn
exercise- 45 minutes on the treadmill, playing catch with the kids

I had a pretty good day. The first two weeks is always the hardest for me. Once I get back into the habit everything is much easier. :goodvibes

graciejane
05-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Count me in!!! I didn't see this thread till now but I since jumped on scales this morning I know that I still need to lose 50 pounds. My DH loves me no matter what but I am uncomfortable where I am at. When we were at the Fort for 2 weeks this spring we were camped in the same loop as a couple of dis members and I was too unhappy with my weight to go up and say HI. Silly I know. Anyway, I am looking forward to this and some group support.

RvUsa
05-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Ok, here goes. In case you haven't noticed I have never posted a picture of myself on here LOL, there is a reason, I don't have a wide angle camera! :lmao:

If I had to guess, I would say that I need to loose about a Rhonda, and half an Ami. LOL ( just a guess, and 2 random names, no offense to either of you!) I am going to have the same operation as Rog, him and I have been talking about it in pm's for a long time, I just need to get the nerve to have it done. I am considered morbidly obese by doctors, and with my severe Osteo Arthritis in my ankles knees and hips, as well as my Degenerative spine disease, walking is hard, let alone exercise!!
My other problem, is that I have the will power of a gnat, (my wife says attention span matches as well). So my diets have all lasted about 2-3 minutes, or until I walked past some food.

So if you guys will have me, I will try to do better, and maybe you all can encourage me and make me get it done so I can be around to take care of my awesome little buddy! That is who I need to do it for, I want to be around to bug him for a long time. LOL

So here's hoping that we can all be healthier and happier for the ones we love.

BigDaddyRog
05-05-2008, 05:28 PM
John....I was hoping youd step into the light here...........its all downhill cruising from here man. We're all in this together now.

VACAMPER
05-05-2008, 05:37 PM
I'm glad you joined John. I don't like pictures of myself either. I always delete them off the camera. I love to do scrapbooks for my kids they have pictures to remember everyone by except me. That's sad. I try to tell myself to include them any way because thats who i am. My mom passed away when i was 12 and i would love to have more pictures of her.

Rhonda
05-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Count me in!!! I didn't see this thread till now but I since jumped on scales this morning I know that I still need to lose 50 pounds. My DH loves me no matter what but I am uncomfortable where I am at. When we were at the Fort for 2 weeks this spring we were camped in the same loop as a couple of dis members and I was too unhappy with my weight to go up and say HI. Silly I know. Anyway, I am looking forward to this and some group support.

Welcome!! I know exactly how you feel about going up to meet people. I've done the same thing myself. :sad2: Well, that's over! It's all "downhill" from here (on the scale anyway) :)

My other problem, is that I have the will power of a gnat, (my wife says attention span matches as well). So my diets have all lasted about 2-3 minutes, or until I walked past some food.

Wow - I can so relate to this!! I talk big, but when I get bored, I eat anything I see.

Stick around - and we'll all help each other!! If and when you decide to go through with the surgery, we'll be there for you!! :grouphug:

djblu883
05-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Ever think about Curves? They're everywhere and as long as you're a member at one, you can use any of them!

Curves when I looked at them, didn't open until after 8 AM....and I'm at work by then, in the evening by the time I'm done...and have to drive back to where the TT is hasn't been an option...good news my new boss brought in a bike for us to use so atleast while I'm here I can use that!! I haven't stevia in flavors ! Sounds like another good option! I love this thread!!! Thanks!

djblu883
05-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Rhonda...Half and Half makes a fat FREE version that is very good!!! I love my one cup of decaf with half and half....to make it even more interesting trying adding a bit of cocoa powder and a drop or 2 of coffee...stir then add the rest of your creamer and sweetner of choice makes ya have a yummy guilt free comfort drink!!

lol Pole....cute love your hubby's sense of humor...they do rent them I'm told at a casino in Biloxi...I worked down there for 18 months and got a big laugh when I heard that one!!

BigDaddyRog
05-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Fats are actually beneficial for you when youre no-carbing.....the body uses the fats as fuel because it has no carbs to burn for energy.

VACAMPER
05-05-2008, 06:55 PM
Rog, my DD3 was sitting on my lap when i was catching up on this thread, When we got to your post she said "That mickey mouse clubhouse scares me and why does that princesses B##B show". lol

BigDaddyRog
05-05-2008, 07:10 PM
LOL...kids are very observant arent they???? Jessica Rabbit SHOULD be one of the princesses, she's royalty in my book.....built like a brick house, works in a night club, and looks like a GREAT piece of patty-cake!!;)

djblu883
05-05-2008, 07:16 PM
LOL...kids are very observant arent they???? Jessica Rabbit SHOULD be one of the princesses, she's royalty in my book.....built like a brick house, works in a night club, and looks like a GREAT piece of patty-cake!!;)

Rog when you get close to your goal...let me know...I have a shirt for you!!!

BigDaddyRog
05-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Woohooo...will do!!! That gives me incentive.

Rhonda
05-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Fat Free Half & Half?? What's the other "half" if it's not cream? :confused3 :goodvibes

Rog is right. Your body burns it's "fuels" in a certain order: 1. alcohol; 2. carbs/sugars; 3. dietary fat; 4. stored body fat.

So, if the alcohol and carbs are cut way down, then the body looks for the third and fourth fuels--fats! That's why this diet works so well for me. :banana:

Of course, this only works for people who have a problem with carbs to begin with.

Edit: Found it! Fat Free Half & Half is part Skim Milk, part regular Milk, and Corn Syrup Solids. Too much sugar for me. :( Thanks anyway djblu883. :)

RvUsa
05-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the welcome, I hope this is the start of something great!

djblu883
05-05-2008, 08:04 PM
OH NO!!! I read fat free and didn't even look to see if it had sugars added...sheesh and I thought I was being good....grrrrrrrrr...BURST MY BUBBLE...OH WELL BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD!!
:worship:

Fat Free Half & Half?? What's the other "half" if it's not cream? :confused3 :goodvibes

Rog is right. Your body burns it's "fuels" in a certain order: 1. alcohol; 2. carbs/sugars; 3. dietary fat; 4. stored body fat.

So, if the alcohol and carbs are cut way down, then the body looks for the third and fourth fuels--fats! That's why this diet works so well for me. :banana:

Of course, this only works for people who have a problem with carbs to begin with.

Edit: Found it! Fat Free Half & Half is part Skim Milk, part regular Milk, and Corn Syrup Solids. Too much sugar for me. :( Thanks anyway djblu883. :)

ntsammy5
05-05-2008, 08:08 PM
I've got to go back and catch up. I'm a little too heavy. My BMI is 29 and to get it down under 25 I need to lose about 40 pounds. That would bring me to a weight I haven't seen since the early 1980s. Yikes!

Rhonda
05-05-2008, 08:14 PM
OH NO!!! I read fat free and didn't even look to see if it had sugars added...sheesh and I thought I was being good....grrrrrrrrr...BURST MY BUBBLE...OH WELL BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD!!
:worship:

I'm sorry. :sad1:

Have you seen Hood Calorie Countdown milk? It's lower in fat than regular milk, and has no added sugars. Here's a link: http://www.hphood.com/products/prodList.aspx?id=575 The chocolate one is good, and makes good hot chocolate too! :)

PolynesianPixie
05-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the welcome, I hope this is the start of something great!

It is!!!!! Welcome aboard to you and the rest of the newest newcomers! This will be life changing!

We4mickey
05-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Okay, I weighed in this morning. What a depressing number! I didn't even weigh this much when I was 9 months pregnant. I told everyone at the party last night that today was the day. It was a work party and several of the girls are jumping on the band wagon too. I will have support in all directions.

Sonoma
05-05-2008, 09:15 PM
I'm glad you joined John. I don't like pictures of myself either. I always delete them off the camera. I love to do scrapbooks for my kids they have pictures to remember everyone by except me. That's sad. I try to tell myself to include them any way because thats who i am. My mom passed away when i was 12 and i would love to have more pictures of her.

I always have a hard time with pictures of myself too. My husband and I have almost no pictures of just the two of us; we always take pictures of the kids. On our last vacation to the beach I had our daughter take one of the two of us. I was so excited until I saw the picture of myself in a bathing suit. I did add it to our photo book but I cropped it so you see me from the shoulder up.;)

CCIntrigue
05-05-2008, 09:56 PM
I just celebrated my 5 year Atkins anniversary. Lost 76 pounds by low carbing and went from a size 16-18 to a 4. Have kept the weight off for 4.5 years now.

Would be happy to provide support to anyone who's considering a low carb lifestyle -- just PM me!

VACAMPER
05-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Wow! That's great. Keeping it off is harder for me than losing. Good job.

happy_redhead
05-05-2008, 09:58 PM
I'm not big on pictures of myself either. Since I'm the shutterbug, DH is always grabbing my camera and trying to get a pic of me before I duck out. Occasionally I will let him take a picture of me simply because I know the boys will want some in the future.

I think my worst weight day was about 10 years ago when I weighed myself and I was almost exactly 100 pounds heavier than I was 10 years prior to that moment. I was however.....9 months pregnant....but I also knew giving birth to a 12 year old was out of the question. Now...about 30 of that has come off, but I'd dearly love to see less of me. I know I'll never see me at the weight I was 20 years ago, I had to kill myself at the gym to stay there, but I'll take what I can get! Two boys are tough to keep up with...so less of me means more of me for them!

Cottage Cheese and fruit for dinner. We won the baseball game!

auntie
05-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Today was good. Breakfast..low fat English muffin with a little stawberry preserve. Lunch was a Healthy Choice soup.(I love them.)
Dinner I made chicken sausage patties on the grill, with roasted peppers, Had a delicious spinach and grilled chicken salad to go with it. The hardest part was NOT eating the most delicious smelling Semolina Italian bread. Oh my God..it smelled so good. Do you know how hard it is to shop in an Italian supermarket..and not gain weight just cruising the aisle?
Walked 6 laps at the track. We were doing 8(2 miles) but Bob was a little tired. I really think he's doing to much after his surgery. I could see it tonight. I think I'm going to walk earlier in the day tomorow..and then maybe a bike ride with my husband after dinner. I think that would be better.
Anyway..having this thread is great. It kept me from cheating a couple of times. I kept saying, No..I have my "Friends of the Fort" to report to.
I think we need T-Shirts!

Oh..and this is cute. My two sons went to Target after dinner. I think they were getting me some gardening items I wanted(mother's day..but not sure). Whatever it was... it was something girlie. Yesterday I had been asking them about weights. Anyway, they bought me the cutest PINK weights to use while I walk. :cutie: The funny part about this was the look they got from the cashier..because while she scanned the items she kept looking at the two of them, and finally commented "hmm..pink weights too". My younger son said he told her they were for him!:laughing: (He's only 6'3" tall).

Drewsmommybear
05-06-2008, 06:36 AM
Auntie, I really like your son's sense of humor! That was really cute.

I'm also part of the non picture club. I was looking at pictures from our April trip and there are hundreds of my son and husband. There's one of myself and personally, I think it was one too many. What makes it even worse is that my son and I do this annual picture in front of Spaceship Earth and so I got to compare it to last year. :scared1: I couldn't believe that I had put on that much weight.

I'd also like to say that periodically looking at this thread during the day helped me to not snack and that's a really good thing. :)

happy_redhead
05-06-2008, 06:47 AM
[QUOTE=

I'd also like to say that periodically looking at this thread during the day helped me to not snack and that's a really good thing. :)[/QUOTE]

Ya Know.....I feel the same way!

djblu883
05-06-2008, 06:49 AM
I'm sorry. :sad1:

Have you seen Hood Calorie Countdown milk? It's lower in fat than regular milk, and has no added sugars. Here's a link: http://www.hphood.com/products/prodList.aspx?id=575 The chocolate one is good, and makes good hot chocolate too! :)

I drink land o lakes lactose free, fat free milk ...it makes everything I use dairy in tolerable....i just occ. have the H&H for a splurge and a one cup yummy on a weekend...so no biggie...i just like feeling guilt free when I do splurge...I can use my other...but thanks for the info! I had special K for B'fast this AM...taking a banana for later...have grilled chicken and broc. of lunch....tonight...gilled meat...dunno what else lol I grill almost daily and sometimes just veggies on the grill is yummy...grilled pineapple is really good with a bit of BBQ sauce to ad an extra bit of BAM!!! lol ok I know that ads calories...but its a thin sauce lololol

PolynesianPixie
05-06-2008, 07:41 AM
Good morning, health concientious people! (I'll will not say diet):laughing:

I'm sure it is psychological...but I already feel thinner! I have hated pics of myself too, but all that is going to change. We will have photos for our kids to look back on and say "Mom and Dad were so gorgeous! and fit!":goodvibes

I hope you all get out and enjoy this day!

Rhonda
05-06-2008, 07:48 AM
Good morning everyone! It's going to be a great day! :cool1:

For breakfast I had a Light Yogurt and a flax/cranberry "cookie"
Not sure about lunch yet
Dinner tonight is Talapia and a sweet potato

It's a HOT day here in Florida today (90) and I'll be working outside all day. If nothing else, I should sweat at least 2 pounds off! :rotfl2:

Have a good day everyone!

Eeyore'sthebest
05-06-2008, 08:17 AM
I want to join! I didn't have time to add my post yesterday but definitely want to get in on it now!
I've got to start exercising!!

This morning for breakfast I had Special K (high protein version) and fresh blackberries with fat free milk. Lunch will probably be a Dannon Lite and Fit vanilla yogurt with more fresh blackberries. Dinner will probably be fat free ricotta with low sugar, organic tomato sauce. High protein, low cal, low fat, low sugar!!

Keep up the good work everyone!

Drewsmommybear
05-06-2008, 08:21 AM
You know, I can already tell that today is going to be a day. I guess it's teacher appreciation week because I walked out into the main building and parents were making waffles :eek: I tried to do the best I could without being rude. So, I had a waffle with no butter or syrup and a few strawberries. Thank goodness I thought ahead for lunch. I'm having some Progresso soup and a pickle. Dinner will probably be Subway.

You know, all of this talk of food has got me thinking, why don't we start sharing "health conscious" recipes. I've got a good one that I'll post in a bit. That way we have many different options for food.

seabee
05-06-2008, 08:38 AM
Auntie, you're right, this board kept me from snacking on brownies that are on my counter right now. T-shirts are a great idea. I am working on some photos for a customer right now(can't you tell:lmao: ) but as soon as I am done I will play around and see if I can come up with something cute. I am new to the design stuff, but I will try! Did pretty good for breakfast. Low fat muffin and coffee. I can't give up the coffee, I get headaches. Tonight and tomorrow morning will be good for me, I have to fast for some blood tests.

Rhonda, I like that FitDay site. Seeing exactly what I was taking in really woke me up! I thought I wasn't doing all that bad until I started that. Oh well, I am going to go work and get these photos done so I can play with the T shirt thing. Have a great day all, and be healthy!!

Colson39
05-06-2008, 08:54 AM
I've lost 14 pounds since a week before Reilly was born, but I didn't even mean to. With all the craziness, was just eating a lot less and a lot better, and I have to admit I feel a lot healthier.

Oh, probably also that in the last month I've barely had time for a beer, that helps as well....lol.

BigDaddyRog
05-06-2008, 09:45 AM
I know we all love to party a little bit...some more than others. But alcohol is probably the biggest disabler of weight-loss on any eating plan. While it wont neccessarily cause you to gain weight....it by all means prevents you from losing....so keep this little tid bit in mind.

auntie
05-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Rog....gonna say you're right on the money about alcohol. I don't drink...except for glass of red wine now and again(especially if I'm eating pasta that I crave!). I'll have one glass telling myself..it's actually good for me. :) .and then I'm feeling so good..that I think I'll have another. Before you kow it I'm eating that second bowl of pasta..(okay..thrid:rolleyes: ) What can I say :confused3 ...I'm weak. I decided...NO WINE...unless we are eating out. Then I don't order a second..because I don't want to spend the money. (can you say cheap?:laughing: )

Rhonda
05-06-2008, 11:42 AM
I know we all love to party a little bit...some more than others. But alcohol is probably the biggest disabler of weight-loss on any eating plan. While it wont neccessarily cause you to gain weight....it by all means prevents you from losing....so keep this little tid bit in mind.

:thumbsup2 Exactly!! When I have a drink, I notice the scale doesn't budge that day. It won't go up - but it doesn't go down either.

And Chris -- I don't even want to hear about it. :rotfl2: DH is the same way -- he'll cut out something easy, like soda, for a week, and drop 22 pounds. (ok...maybe I'm exaggerating a tiny bit)

terri01p
05-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Well am I the only one here struggling :rolleyes:

Went out to lunch with a couple of friends yesterday and I did pretty well, I ate a salad but put ranch dressing on it :scared:

My stir fry yesterday turned into pizza because my dd and her husband came over and EVERYONE wanted something different so we had pizza, but I did keep it down to one slice.

My walking didn't happen, just couldn't get myself up on my threadmill, started to and then my dh and I got to talking and I ended up watching "August Rush " ( should have walked ).

Today I've had a banana for breakfast, but my dd and a friend is coming over so GOD help me for lunch, that's up in the air and tonight will be busy so who knows.

One thing I have done is go off soda's all together, this is a big deal for me because I have been drinking them ALL day EVERYday for the pass year, so I'm been just drinking unsweeten tea and beleive it or not it has worked out ok.

I had some good diet tips from my doctor ( because I have a thyroid issue ) but can't seem to find the blam paper, so I'll keep looking and if I can't find it , next week whenever I go to the doctor I'll get another :angel: .

Ok I'm still with you all but off to a really slow start...hehe

Deffenm
05-06-2008, 12:42 PM
I did great yesterday with getting in my 10,000 steps. I actually got in 11,505. I just walked during my lunch break today. It is a beautiful day here so when I go home I plan on playing outside with the kids. I need to go to the grocery store and stock up and healthy foods. We don't have much in the house right now.

seabee
05-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Don't worry Terri, I was suppose to walk last night, and didn't. And I won't be able to tonight because I have a meeting. Besides, a slow start is better then NO start!

usewickhouse
05-06-2008, 12:57 PM
I can NOT believe the timing of this thread. My Mom took seriously ill a few weeks ago, ended up in the hospital, having 5 bypasses, complete aortic valve replacement and a pace maker put in. She was not heavy until the later years of her life but had high blood pressure almost her entire life. Also heart disease runs rampant in her family.

So, anyway to make a long story short she made all us kids (there are 4 of us) plus the adult grandkids, that are heavy, to promise her to eat right and make some serious life changes. We are a family that revolves around food and lots of it. We eat when were sad, happy, mad, in love, outta love, you get the picture food is our friend.

I had started having symptoms of heart disease last fall and underwent a full cardiac workup and also had heart cath. Thank goodness they found no blockages but told me I was way too heavy and young to be so out of shape. I'm 38 have 2 beautiful DD's 10 & 5 so with everything that happened had a wake up call.

I started with cutting out all fast food, reading every lable to everything that I put in my mouth and completely cut our all caffeine. Had to though due to heart palps. I drink tons of water, eat real food and even some junk but have managed to lose 35 pounds in the last 6 months.

I have been super bad while my Mom has been in the hospital for the last 3 weeks and feel like I have put on a few pounds. I would love to lose around 75 pounds more but my immediate goal is to lose another 30. I know if I put the goal too high I will feel it is unattainable and will give up.

The main thing I have to do is get back to my water, quit the sweets again and start walking. I have not exercised at all so I am hoping by adding that I can start to lose again.

Rhonda, THANK YOU so much for starting this. This is such a wonderful way for people to reach our for help and to also help others.

EVERYONE...just remember WE CAN DO ANYTHING WE PUT OUR MINDS TO! And that there is no food or beverage that is worth risking our health.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL and I will report on Friday's.

Becky:)

Momof626x3
05-06-2008, 01:19 PM
I got back on the treadmill again last night and today I'm doing much better food wise. I'm crunching on some carrots right now. Sometimes reading the label is all I need to force me to make better decisions...for example, I just read an article about the worst foods in America and at the very top was my favorite "splurge"...cheese fries from the Outback. After reading the calorie and fat content I don't think I will be able to ever eat it again!:scared1:

Drewsmommybear
05-06-2008, 01:49 PM

You know, this is really funny to me because I'm allergic to grain alcohol and beer. Even though I cook with wine, I have a one glass maximum before really weird things start happening. A drink for me is a big treat because of what it does to me.

So, while most of you can blame alcohol, what the heck's my problem?!?:confused:

Shannone1
05-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I got back on the treadmill again last night and today I'm doing much better food wise. I'm crunching on some carrots right now. Sometimes reading the label is all I need to force me to make better decisions...for example, I just read an article about the worst foods in America and at the very top was my favorite "splurge"...cheese fries from the Outback. After reading the calorie and fat content I don't think I will be able to ever eat it again!:scared1:

Those nutrition labels can be SCARY !!

I am munching on a serving of Baked Cheetos. They are really good. AAMOF, I don't eat ANY regular chips anymore....I liked the baked ones much better.

We also filled up our fruit bowl with oranges, apples and bananas. I can't wait until we can get some decent grapes and melons !! :woohoo:

graciejane
05-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Last night I managed to take a long bike ride and even go DS and DH to come along too. I skipped breakfast today (I know, bad move but I ran out of time) but had a small salad and a WW meal. I will try to get out and walk tonight. So far today is a good day :goodvibes

VACAMPER
05-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Had a good breakfast, met PolynesianPixie and walked a trail for about an hour. Then we had subway for lunch. Just subs not even baked chips, so i was off to a good start, came home dipped my kids some ice cream and thats when it happened, my DD3 didn't eat her ice cream. Guess who did? I have no will power. I do have a healthy dinner planned so i'm going to try and redeem myself.

Terri01, I guess if we fail at 1 meal we just need to get started back at the next meal. If i say i'll start over tomm. i end up pigging out all day.

It was nice to have someone to walk with this morning. Makes time go by much quicker. Wonder if cyber walking would count as exercise if we all did it together?

PolynesianPixie
05-06-2008, 05:12 PM
it was really great to walk with you today!!!!:goodvibes I think I managed to rack up 5 "activity points" today! I think I'm going to be sore, though. Trying to keep up with your long legs did get me to s t r e t c h !:lmao:

Ice cream was in order, though! It was so warm this afternoon and after that walk.....I had some ice cream, too! That's the thing, though! If you eat something that isn't completely healthy....don't beat yourself up! If you don't have a little bit of it you'll end up wanting it until you eat a whole tub! The advice of starting over right after is good! Those of us on WW, just try to include it in your daily points. I'm having a 1 point veggie burger and corn for dinner to make up for it!

Shannone1
05-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Had a good breakfast, met PolynesianPixie and walked a trail for about an hour. Then we had subway for lunch. Just subs not even baked chips, so i was off to a good start, came home dipped my kids some ice cream and thats when it happened, my DD3 didn't eat her ice cream. Guess who did? I have no will power. I do have a healthy dinner planned so i'm going to try and redeem myself.

Terri01, I guess if we fail at 1 meal we just need to get started back at the next meal. If i say i'll start over tomm. i end up pigging out all day.

It was nice to have someone to walk with this morning. Makes time go by much quicker. Wonder if cyber walking would count as exercise if we all did it together?

That sounds so nice. I would love to have someone close by to walk with. We get lots of exercise in the summer with bike riding, walking, hiking, swimming, etc. My problem is the fall/winter. Maybe I will try to get some friends together to start a walking club this fall.

As far was eating ice cream...it happens. The important thing is not to splurge all day because of it :thumbsup2

djblu883
05-06-2008, 06:02 PM
well not for eating so far but because of eating the wrong thing...I had special K with fat free milk...later a banana....went into hypoglycemia mode about 11 ish before I could get done with my patients and had to grab a graham cracker to get them finished and out the door...ate my grilled chicken (3rd meal on half a chicken) and brussel sprouts instead of broccoli I had planned....and another graham cracker because I didn't feel quite right from the low sugar episode....later had pretzel ( my stash incase).....got a bad headache before I got off work...rushed home and cooking now...drank some milk and headahe is easing....not a good day overall....needed more protein in the AM...can't do soy additives sooooooo back to my turkey bacon I guess lol:hippie: dinner is a grilled boneless pork chop...and left over broccoli lol...

PolynesianPixie
05-06-2008, 06:04 PM
I just finished dinner ( I was very good by the way) and my girls want to go for another walk...I'm not sure I can make it...but I'll give it a go! Of course, they will be riding their bikes and I'll have to keep up :scared:

PolynesianPixie
05-06-2008, 06:06 PM
well not for eating so far but because of eating the wrong thing...I had special K with fat free milk...later a banana....went into hypoglycemia mode about 11 ish before I could get done with my patients and had to grab a graham cracker to get them finished and out the door...ate my grilled chicken (3rd meal on half a chicken) and brussel sprouts instead of broccoli I had planned....and another graham cracker because I didn't feel quite right from the low sugar episode....later had pretzel ( my stash incase).....got a bad headache before I got off work...rushed home and cooking now...drank some milk and headahe is easing....not a good day overall....needed more protein in the AM...can't do soy additives sooooooo back to my turkey bacon I guess lol:hippie: dinner is a grilled boneless pork chop...and left over broccoli lol...

oh goodness!!!! I hope you feel better soon!

Rhonda
05-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Welcome to all the new people!! This is going great! :goodvibes

I've had a good day! For lunch I had half of a southwestern chicken wrap (on a low carb wrap), and some melon. The Tilapia and sweet potatoes are in the oven now!

I've been fighting a cold/flu thingy all week though, so nothing for exercise yet. But, I dropped a pound since yesterday morning! :cool1:

stacktester
05-06-2008, 06:22 PM
I've been hesitating to post on here but I've been doing South Beach for a couple months. Did it last year and lost 25 pounds then gained it back. I've lost about another 10 pounds this time but it's hard to not cheat. I mostly eat eggs, meat and salads to lose weight. I can't follow a diet by the book because I travel for work and it would not work for me. I ride my bike about 10 miles a night too. I wonder if being on here too much makes me gain a few pounds too lol. Good luck to all on here doing the plan.

djblu883
05-06-2008, 06:27 PM
oh goodness!!!! I hope you feel better soon!

thanks...its just cause from me being stupid....i usually do this when I get a bit over zealous dieting lol...I know I require protein in my diet and know it carries more calories so i want to eat lighter (thus my frustrations with dieting)...i'm just fine now

Rhonda
05-06-2008, 06:42 PM
I've been hesitating to post on here but I've been doing South Beach for a couple months. Did it last year and lost 25 pounds then gained it back. I've lost about another 10 pounds this time but it's hard to not cheat. I mostly eat eggs, meat and salads to lose weight. I can't follow a diet by the book because I travel for work and it would not work for me. I ride my bike about 10 miles a night too. I wonder if being on here too much makes me gain a few pounds too lol. Good luck to all on here doing the plan.

I'm glad you joined us!! Your diet is very close to mine. :) I would love to ride my bike 10 miles a night. Right now, I doubt I could make 10 blocks! :rotfl:

stacktester
05-06-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm glad you joined us!! Your diet is very close to mine. :) I would love to ride my bike 10 miles a night. Right now, I doubt I could make 10 blocks! :rotfl:

One of the reasons I sold my golf cart was I quit using my bike as much. I love riding at night in my neighborhood. If you can find a friend to do it with you'll find the time flies. If you get me a AAA discount for this weekend I'll come pedal your bike for you lol.

Shannone1
05-06-2008, 07:20 PM
One downside about living out of town (both here and our new house) is that we don't have a neighborhood to walk/ride bikes. The new house is on a dirt road and there aren't any sidewalks or anything. I always have to drive someplace in order to do that stuff.

We really take advantage of those features at of the campgrounds we visit.

AlyLynn
05-06-2008, 07:28 PM
I've lost 3 pounds!:woohoo: I started bringing my lunch, and am able to walk
more now that the weather is better. Hopefully I can keep it up. Thanks for such a great support thread!

Shannone1
05-06-2008, 07:42 PM
I've lost 3 pounds!:woohoo: I started bringing my lunch, and am able to walk
more now that the weather is better. Hopefully I can keep it up. Thanks for such a great support thread!

:cool1: :banana: :cool1: :banana:

Rhonda
05-06-2008, 08:18 PM
One of the reasons I sold my golf cart was I quit using my bike as much. I love riding at night in my neighborhood. If you can find a friend to do it with you'll find the time flies. If you get me a AAA discount for this weekend I'll come pedal your bike for you lol.

at Disney??? :rotfl: Would you believe that every single room in every single Disney resort is totally sold out??? I tried to get somebody a room starting tomorrow, and there is absolutely NOTHING available! Forget about the AAA discount! lol

That's funny you would say that about your golf cart. We just sold ours last week, and were saying that now we can ride our bikes more! We got in the habit of taking the golf cart out around the neighborhood every evening. It was nice, but NO exercise! So, after we get over this yucky stuff, and I can breathe again, we're going to start doing evening rides. :banana:

auntie
05-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Okay..I walked again today..and fast! It looked like rain and I figured I better get it done before it came. Of course I was walking my butt off trying to beat the rain and the Clouds just kind of moved over...and a slight sun shower. No big deal, but hey, at least I got it in before dinner. Work tomorrow..so that's gonna be a hard one. I'm hoping everyone orders Deli, then I should be okay. If not..I'm just gonna walk on over to the convenience store and get something.
Oh...and does chasing your cat around the yard in the dark burn calories?.. :confused3 I spent about a half hour trying to get Ojo in the house. We don't let him out at night. He decided he wanted to chase every blade of grass and moth that he saw. Exhausted...I went and turned on the underground sprinklers for the yard...and he ran like a bat out of you know what in the back door! :rotfl2: Wish I would have thought of it sooner, oh well,..at least it was more exercise.:cutie:

stacktester
05-06-2008, 08:55 PM
at Disney??? :rotfl: Would you believe that every single room in every single Disney resort is totally sold out??? I tried to get somebody a room starting tomorrow, and there is absolutely NOTHING available! Forget about the AAA discount! lol

That's funny you would say that about your golf cart. We just sold ours last week, and were saying that now we can ride our bikes more! We got in the habit of taking the golf cart out around the neighborhood every evening. It was nice, but NO exercise! So, after we get over this yucky stuff, and I can breathe again, we're going to start doing evening rides. :banana:

What in the world is going on? DD and I may head to Turkey Lake and do US/IOA for a couple days. I gotta have her back Sunday afternoon though for her mom. If we can go early Friday I'm up for it. Wish we were doing the fort but 4th of July is coming.

jaxpooh
05-06-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm in as long as I don't have to list my starting weight :)
I have lost 10 pounds since shortly before 4/25, but that is due to having gallbladder surgery on 4/25, wasn't too hungry afterwards.

terri01p
05-06-2008, 10:18 PM
I'm in as long as I don't have to list my starting weight :)
I have lost 10 pounds since shortly before 4/25, but that is due to having gallbladder surgery on 4/25, wasn't too hungry afterwards.

I would lie before I told people my true weight :scared1: hehe

seabee
05-06-2008, 10:21 PM
My DD9 said I should post a before pic and then an after pic when I loose the weight. I said she was NUTS!! Notice in my signature, that is my stratigic spot for all photos!

BigDaddyRog
05-06-2008, 10:24 PM
sorry...just realized this had nothing to do with this thread!!!

VACAMPER
05-06-2008, 10:28 PM
I always try to hide behind my kids. Then when I see the picture it makes it look worse when my thighs are sticking out past my 3 girls on both sides.:lmao:

poohbearwithme
05-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Okay, am I the only one not doing so good this week? :lmao: (I know bad llama) http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/9731/pic2jw0.jpg Sounds like everyone else is doing great. Congrats too you all.

VACAMPER
05-06-2008, 10:30 PM
I would lie before I told people my true weight :scared1: hehe

I saw some insurance papers my husband had filled out awhile back and had to list our weights. He was about 50 pounds off but smart enough not to ask me what I weighed. He didn't feel like dying that day.:rotfl:

terri01p
05-06-2008, 10:31 PM
sorry...just realized this had nothing to do with this thread!!!

I think Rog comes over just to rub in our faces his 100 pounds plus weight lose..lol :lmao:

terri01p
05-06-2008, 10:33 PM
I saw some insurance papers my husband had filled out awhile back and had to list our weights. He was about 50 pounds off but smart enough not to ask me what I weighed. He didn't feel like dying that day.:rotfl:

Hehe :rotfl2: yea my dh's not that dumb either !

mrzrich
05-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Hey guys, I'm Toni.

I mostly lurk over here on the camping board, but I really had to jump in here.

I need to lose 75-100 pounds. I started on 4/26. I've lost 6 pounds so far.

I am cutting my portions, eating 6 small meals, and bringing my lunch. (I am in my car all day for work, so the Drive-Thru has been my nemesis)

For exercise I am doing the Couch Potato to 5K program. (C25K.com)
Even though I have always been overweight and sedentary, I have always harbored the dream of running a marathon. This program is getting me started. My goal is the Disney Marathon 2010!

I'm so glad you started this group!

Toni

BigDaddyRog
05-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I think Rog comes over just to rub in our faces his 100 pounds plus weight lose..lol :lmao:

NO WAY...PLEASE!!!!!! Hell.....Im freakin 290lbs....regardless of how much Ive lost....thats STILL morbidly obese!!!

I was commenting on Aunties post about chasing her cat...my one eyed cat was killed Staurday night...and after posting it, realized it was a bit of a downer, AND completely unrelated to weight loss....thats why I edited it.:)

terri01p
05-06-2008, 11:09 PM
NO WAY...PLEASE!!!!!! Hell.....Im freakin 290lbs....regardless of how much Ive lost....thats STILL morbidly obese!!!

I was commenting on Aunties post about chasing her cat...my one eyed cat was killed Staurday night...and after posting it, realized it was a bit of a downer, AND completely unrelated to weight loss....thats why I edited it.:)

Rog I'm totally playing with you, I know your weight lose story and I know how you have struggled...just trying to be funny and lighten the mood around the thread.

seabee
05-06-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm sorry you lost your cat Rog.

BigDaddyRog
05-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Rog I'm totally playing with you, I know your weight lose story and I know how you have struggled...just trying to be funny and lighten the mood around the thread.

Whew...I thought I was coming off as some kinda weightloss snob or something!!!

Thanks Seabee..........its ok, I hated that dang cat anyway!!;)

terri01p
05-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Okay, am I the only one not doing so good this week? :lmao: (I know bad llama) http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/9731/pic2jw0.jpg Sounds like everyone else is doing great. Congrats too you all.

I wish I could say your the only one but that's just about two of us because I haven't had any exercise this week so far and my dh walked in the door with freshly made pound cake he got from his work from a fundraiser...my God have mercy I have to have some and it's 12:30 am !:rolleyes1

VACAMPER
05-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Step away from the cake Terri, Step away from the cake.:rotfl2:

djblu883
05-07-2008, 07:09 AM
I'm so glad this thread was created! I did well calorie wise...just need to re think the protein. I had approx. 1200 calories even with 3 cookies after a crash in sugar lol. with all my work activity from the last week and at home I can tell a difference...along with doing away with my AM coffee splurge...no water weight gain lol...so far this am...2 tbs. peanut butter, 1 slice whole wheat bread, one banana

Sonoma
05-07-2008, 07:57 AM
I walked and took my vitamins yesterday, but I also had ice cream. It was a bride/reward for our kids for sitting through our oldest daughter’s 2 hour 6th grade band concert. It was so hot in the school gym, I'm sure that I sweated off a few pounds!

Sorry about your cat, Rog. Our house always feels so empty when we are without a pet or two.

ntsammy5
05-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Now this is a llama

http://www.jaunted.com/files/3873/LlamaTeeth.jpg

Well, since I've been reading this, I've lost, hmmmm, let's see 2 pounds! Well it's a start.

PolynesianPixie
05-07-2008, 08:16 AM
I think I've been pretty good. I did have rum and diet coke last night, so I am feeling the effects of it this morning (and I don't mean a hangover :laughing: I didn't have that much). It was such a nice evening that it lent itself to sitting outside with a book, sipping a drink. :rolleyes1 Why is it that food goes hand in hand with so much?? VACAMPER and I were talking about this yesterday. Relaxing=food, socializing=food, sympathy (i.e. dead cat)=food. Why can't we just eat when we're hungry?????

All my daughters' birthday sweets are now out of the house so I won't be tempted by those evil brownies and homemade whipped cream and rainbow cake!

I had corn chowder for breakfast...yeah, I know that's weird. ........and coffee! Gotta have that coffee.....is that sinfull?????

Welcome to the newcomers since yesterday!!!!!!!:cheer2:

VACAMPER
05-07-2008, 08:31 AM
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 cup fat free cottage cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 cups canned tomato sauce
1 pound cooked pasta, jumbo shells, approximately 24 shells

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Mix together cheeses, salt, garlic powder, oregano & pepper

Spread a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce on btm of a 9x13 baking dish

When cooked shells are cool enouch to handle, fill each shell with cheese mixture and place in baking dish. When all shells are in dish, spoon remaining tomato sauce over shells. Cover pan and bake for 20 min. Yeilds 4 shells per serving. Points value 4, Servings 6.

Sonoma
05-07-2008, 08:38 AM
VACAMPER, that sounds good. Thanks!

auntie
05-07-2008, 08:41 AM
My DD9 said I should post a before pic and then an after pic when I loose the weight. I said she was NUTS!! Notice in my signature, that is my stratigic spot for all photos!

Always use the kids as "fat blockers" in photos!...My sister and I would laugh about doing that. THEN...the kids started getting taller..and taller...and totally blocked me out in the photos. Had to finally just step out IN FRONT of them. Scarry..very scarry:eek: Funny part of that is I was way thinner then, than I am now..and I thought I was fat. Now I wish I was that fat...errr..did that make sense?:scared: Oh..and the younger one is now 6'3"(and still growing).. he's soooo skinny. :sad2: Yep...his coaches want him gaining weight(if I didn't see him born..I'd swear he was switched at birth, and not really from my womb) So if he stands in front of me..you just see the sides of me, behind him. It's sooo fatering(oops, flatering...NOT!:scared:

Rog...I'm sorry to hear about your cat...hope the family is okay.:hug:

Tent Camping Mom
05-07-2008, 09:24 AM
For exercise I am doing the Couch Potato to 5K program. (C25K.com)
Even though I have always been overweight and sedentary, I have always harbored the dream of running a marathon. This program is getting me started. My goal is the Disney Marathon 2010!

I'm so glad you started this group!

Toni

:yay: I'll be rooting for you Toni! I've been on the bandwagon since we finished "that" contest and have lost about 15 pounds (very slowly) of the 25 that I gained. Although I need to lose more and I'm now trying to get another 10 off before the end of next month. I think I may make a goal for a Disney Marathon too! I just checked out C25K.com, I think it is doable :thumbsup2. So I'll set my goal for the Disney Marathon 2010 too!

Rhonda
05-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Well, I had a good day yesterday! My only downfall was a big glass of ice tea - the kind with real sugar. :( But otherwise, I stuck with it!

Today I had a Lite & Fit yogurt with a little Fiber One cereal in it for breakfast.

Lunch will be 1/2 Chicken wrap on a low carb wrap and some melon

Dinner is pork chops on the grill, with some green beans. And, probably some sugar free ice cream for dessert!

Welcome to the new people!! The more the merrier - and I know I can use all the encouragement I can get!! :goodvibes

Rhonda
05-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Wow - I just realized my ticker says what my BMI is. How does it know that? I don't know what it's supposed to be - but 34 sounds really bad. :sad1: What should my goal be?

PolynesianPixie
05-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Wow - I just realized my ticker says what my BMI is. How does it know that? I don't know what it's supposed to be - but 34 sounds really bad. :sad1: What should my goal be?

Anything above 25 is considered overweight. Many believe that number is too low, especially for women. 27 may actually be a healthier alternative. Docs are begining to realize that women remain healthier throughout their lives if they have a little padding! :)

Here is a BMI calculator to figure it out:

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

ntsammy5
05-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Yeah, with BMI it's just as advantageous to get taller as it is to lose weight. That's my new strategy.

PolynesianPixie
05-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Yeah, with BMI it's just as advantageous to get taller as it is to lose weight. That's my new strategy.

Let me know how that works for you! I could use a bit more height! :lmao:

loveDmouse
05-07-2008, 10:21 AM
I would like to join you guys if it isn't too late. I haven't had much time to get on here lately.

I would love to lose 50 but for now I am trying for 10-15. Small steps. I have a health issue that caused me to gain weight (made my whole body go crazy) and makes it difficult to lose. I don't know Will very well either. You know, Will Power. :rotfl2:

So, we will check in every Friday and report how we are doing is that right? I think this will be very helpful for all of us. :thumbsup2

seabee
05-07-2008, 10:23 AM
I think I've been pretty good. I did have rum and diet coke last night, so I am feeling the effects of it this morning (and I don't mean a hangover :laughing: I didn't have that much).
I had corn chowder for breakfast...yeah, I know that's weird. ........and coffee! Gotta have that coffee.....is that sinfull?????

At least it was a Diet Coke!:rotfl: This whole alcohol thing could kill me. I had invisions of spending my summer drinking frozen drinks out on the deck. Oh well, I will sacrafice breakfast and lunch calories for the drinks!! That will even it out!:lmao:

PolynesianPixie
05-07-2008, 10:33 AM
I would like to join you guys if it isn't too late. I haven't had much time to get on here lately.

Heck no! It's not too late! You need us as much as we need you, come on!

I would love to lose 50 but for now I am trying for 10-15.

Loosing just 10% of your weight makes a huge difference in your health!

Small steps. I have a health issue that caused me to gain weight (made my whole body go crazy) and makes it difficult to lose. I don't know Will very well either. You know, Will Power. :rotfl2:

That Will Power! He can be so elusive! :laughing:

So, we will check in every Friday and report how we are doing is that right? I think this will be very helpful for all of us. :thumbsup2

At least it was a Diet Coke!:rotfl: This whole alcohol thing could kill me. I had invisions of spending my summer drinking frozen drinks out on the deck. Oh well, I will sacrafice breakfast and lunch calories for the drinks!! That will even it out!:lmao:

Well yeah! You've got to know your priorities! :lmao: Plus you'll sweat off that water you'd otherwise retain by sitting in the hot sun! Just put OJ in the mix and call it healthy!:laughing:

No no! You'll blame me for your downfall! Moderation and balance....say it with me...moderation and balance!

seabee
05-07-2008, 10:38 AM
:lmao:

Rhonda
05-07-2008, 11:18 AM
I like a little rum (not the dark rum--to much sugar) with diet cranberry juice! Add some club soda and a little umbrella, and voila! Tropical drink! :goodvibes

seabee
05-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Oh, that sounds good. Hey I was just thinking. Someone(I'm sorry I can't remember who) was talking about doing the Disney Marathon in 2010 a page or two back. I was thinking it might be fun to do maybe that Princess 5k in March of 09 as a group? Any thoughts? Men can join in too right?

Rhonda
05-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Oh, that sounds good. Hey I was just thinking. Someone(I'm sorry I can't remember who) was talking about doing the Disney Marathon in 2010 a page or two back. I was thinking it might be fun to do maybe that Princess 5k in March of 09 as a group? Any thoughts? Men can join in too right?

Let me be the one to ask the "Stupid Question of the Day". How far is 5k in non-metric terms?

And, this would put a whole new spin on things for me. I would have to start running now, right? I've never run in my life (for exercise)! I need shoes! Cute running clothes! aaargh! See the stress you've already caused?? :rotfl2:

VACAMPER
05-07-2008, 11:45 AM

That would be fun. Would it be possible? I would have to wear depends!:lmao: Oh my, This would really make me work harder.

ntsammy5
05-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Let me be the one to ask the "Stupid Question of the Day". How far is 5k in non-metric terms?

It's only about 3 miles -- a jog. DD did the Family 5K in January as a very short warm up for the full Marathon 2 days later.

Rhonda
05-07-2008, 12:51 PM
It's only about 3 miles -- a jog. DD did the Family 5K in January as a very short warm up for the full Marathon 2 days later.

Only 3 miles??? Only????? Let me get this straight -- you want me to RUN 3 whole miles in March???? I'm lucky if I can walk up 3 flights of steps, or pedal my bike 3 blocks, or do 3 jumping jacks, or push a grocery cart to the 3rd spot in the parking lot -- without falling into a rubbery heap on the ground!

Who started this stupid thread anyway? Really bad idea... :headache:

PolynesianPixie
05-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Only 3 miles??? Only????? Let me get this straight -- you want me to RUN 3 whole miles in March???? I'm lucky if I can walk up 3 flights of steps, or pedal my bike 3 blocks, or do 3 jumping jacks, or push a grocery cart to the 3rd spot in the parking lot -- without falling into a rubbery heap on the ground!

:rotfl2:

ntsammy5
05-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Rhonda, you sound a lot like my wife! :lmao:

mrzrich
05-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Yes its about 3 miles. This method C25K is sworn by over on the WISH Boards.

WWW.c25k.com

You can download the program for free into your Ipod or MP3 player and the guy tells you when to walk and when to run.

You are supposed to train 3 days a week. It says it will train a sedentary person to run a 5K in 9 weeks.

I'm doing week one right now. You warm up by walking for 5 minutes, then you run for 60 seconds, then walk for 90 sec, run for 60, walk for 90, etc for 20 minutes.

Each week your running time increases.

I think I may have to do each "week" for 2 weeks. I am struggling to run for 60 seconds.:scared:

Drewsmommybear
05-07-2008, 01:51 PM

Oh Rhonda you so made my day! :) My husband is training to run the JFK 50 miler. Yes, that's right. Run 50 miles in one setting. I know. He's nuts. But anyway, he's always asking me to run 5K's with him and I always remind him that I'd make it 30 feet and then someone would have to call an ambulance.

Go Non Runners!:yay:

In all seriousness, I'm going to walk a few miles tonight. And yes, that system of run/walking really works. I was doing it before our son and was in pretty good shape. Also, when DH started it, he weighed 326 pounds. Now he's a lot smaller and doing 50 milers.

loveDmouse
05-07-2008, 02:19 PM
I am not a runner either. Did not even do good with long distance running in high school (all those years ago) when I was in shape. I could only do short sprints.

3gr8kids
05-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Let me know how that works for you! I could use a bit more height! :lmao:

I'll take a side of height, too! :thumbsup2

I would have to wear depends!

:rotfl2: :lmao:

I am not a runner either. Did not even do good with long distance running in high school (all those years ago) when I was in shape. I could only do short sprints.

I'm the same - can't do distance to save my life, but try and catch me in a sprint~fughettaboudit :laughing:

Rhonda
05-07-2008, 02:28 PM
I always hear things about how running is not good for your body. High impact, and all that. Is that true? It seems there are strong feelings about it on both sides, and I've never figured out if the good outweighs the bad. Maybe those stories were made up by people who just want an excuse to not run? :confused3 :rotfl2:

I have bad knees - and I know they will get better when I get some of this weight off. But, do you think running will hurt them more because of the jarring and impact?

Maybe I should stick with bicycling? But, I don't think they'll let me do the 5k on a bike! lol

Any thoughts?

Just Beachy
05-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi, everyone. I'm new to the DIS. I hope you have room for one more here! I will be 39 in 2 wks and have been morbidly obese for half of my 20's and all of my 30's. I was researching the gastric bypass surgery, but got too scared to do it. So I started a weight loss plan 4 wks ago and have lost 20 lbs so far. I have another 120 to lose. I would love to have encouragement and give you mine as well!

Last October my DH and I bought a truck camper (mainly for the beach - he loves to fish). My deal to him for buying it was that he had to take me back to WDW and camp at Fort Wilderness! I want to lose weight before we schedule the trip. The last time we were in WDW was 2004 and I was very uncomfortable "squeezing" into the ride seats (not to mention the airplane seats!). I really want to get healthy and just feel good. The Fort trip will be a great incentive too. Thank you for starting this thread!

~Kelly

BigDaddyRog
05-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Well....I dont know much about health OR excercise...but I do know this...If I tried to run 3 miles right now...Id drop dead with a heart attack......I mean my heart would literally tear its way out of my flabby chest and kick my everlovin' a$$ while cursing me on my way to the ground. So, with that in mind, Running is very unhealthy for the unhealthy!!!

VACAMPER
05-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Welcome aboard! To the dis and the weight loss thread.:cheer2:

ntsammy5
05-07-2008, 02:38 PM
But, do you think running will hurt them more because of the jarring and impact?

I've pretty muchbeen a runner formost of my life -- I had to stop a few years ago because one knee was really bad and had to be replaced. Part of that was due to sports injuries but some was due to over 100 airborne jumps and miles of running. After I stopped running it was hard to keep weight off though. Also, when I retired from the army, the incentive to work out 3-5 times a weeks wasn't there anymore.

Sonoma
05-07-2008, 02:50 PM
I have bad knees - and I know they will get better when I get some of this weight off. But, do you think running will hurt them more because of the jarring and impact?

Maybe I should stick with bicycling? But, I don't think they'll let me do the 5k on a bike! lol

Remember the old disclaimer that you should always consult your physician before starting any fitness plan (like any of us really do that :rotfl2: ).

If your knees bother you at all, I don't think you should run. They may bother you less as you lose more weight. You used to see lots of people speed walking, I don't think it's very popular anymore but may you could try that.

Experts do recommend some people not run. My husband is a type 1 diabetic and they apparently have a greater chance of eye problems if they run a lot (the retina can detach). He loves to run so he has regular eye exams to hopefully catch any problems that might occur.

loveDmouse
05-07-2008, 03:08 PM
The only way I am going to be running is if someone is chasing me and it is my only option. :lmao:

Drewsmommybear
05-07-2008, 03:31 PM
When DH started running, he had REALLY high blood pressure and he couldn't get all the way around the track. Now that he does long distances, he'll go to the doctor and they will recheck his pulse because it is incredibly low. Like crazy low. So that has been good for him.

Plus, he has killer legs. :woohoo: Oh Mama are his legs hot! Okay sorry.:worship:

The downside to all of the running has been that he's hurt his back a few times and he's had some feet and knee issues. I guess that's what happens when you average 50-60 miles a week.

The downside for ME is that I get to be the fat wife with the really hot husband at all of the runs that he does. Someone always asks, "When are you going to start running?" And I answer back, "are you gonna chase me?":rotfl2:

Rhonda
05-07-2008, 04:17 PM
And I answer back, "are you gonna chase me?":rotfl2:

LETSGOFAM
05-07-2008, 04:37 PM

oohh goody, could you help me please? I've been doing Atkins for 5 days and have lost 2 pounds. Now is that right? I've also had some Atkins advantage/breakfast bars and they show on the Atkins website that they can be used during induction. I was wondering if this was still ok and also can you have sugarfree gum? I've also had sugarfree jello in the pre-made cups. Is this all wrong?

ILoveDisney&Cruising
05-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Ok, I guess I'm in :thumbsup2

I planned on joining this thread earlier in the week ...... but never got around to it.

About 3 weeks ago I was reading the Budget Board on the DIS and was intrigued by the "High Fructose Corn Syrup" thread there. Very enlightening. So decided to cut that stuff out. Interesting reading if you have the time. Apparently it started being added to everything in the late 70's, early 80's, at the same time the obesity rate in the US started skyrocketing. Anyway, I've been trying to eliminate it - not too tough with some minor changes like Heinz Organic ketchup, Newman's cookies, switching breads & the like. I was all gung ho and have lost about 5 lbs. in a few weeks, just by making those changes.

Fast forward to yesterday when my doctor said that because of some of my health issues, he wants me to go gluten-free for 6 months. He's pretty convinced it will fix almost everything that ails me.

This is going to be much harder, I'm afraid, than eliminating HFCS (which I was really excited about, strangely enough).

I guess I'll start with the "Gluten Free for Dummies" book. :rotfl2:

So, anyway, I'm here for the duration. ;) I'd like to lose about 80 lbs. Scary how easy the pounds keep climbing until you wake up one day and say "how'd that happen!?"

But on the bright side, 6 months from now, I'll be ready to board the Disney Magic for an awesome celebration with 25 friends we've known for 20 years. It'll be great to be several (many!? I hope!) sizes smaller.

My doc said "6 months is nothing, it'll go by like THAT!" ...... uh, yeah, until you try living it every day.

Wow - sorry for the VERY looooooooooong intro!!!

Rhonda
05-07-2008, 06:35 PM
oohh goody, could you help me please? I've been doing Atkins for 5 days and have lost 2 pounds. Now is that right? I've also had some Atkins advantage/breakfast bars and they show on the Atkins website that they can be used during induction. I was wondering if this was still ok and also can you have sugarfree gum? I've also had sugarfree jello in the pre-made cups. Is this all wrong?

Hi! Try to limit the Atkins bars. They are good, but some of the ingredients can cause stalls, if you eat too many. I try to limit myself to 2 a week or so.

Sugarfree gum is fine, and so is sugarfree jello!

You're doing great so far! Induction is 2 weeks, and if you cut the Atkins bars, drink all your water, and make sure you get to as close to 20 carbs per day as possible, you could drop 10 pounds in that time!

Remember, during Induction: meat, eggs, cheese, and 2 cups of salad veggies per day. You can also have real salad dressing (italian, ranch, bleu cheese are best), butter, heavy cream in your coffee, sour cream (not low fat), and sugar free drinks. But, limit them, because artificial sweeteners can cause stalls in some people.

Rhonda
05-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Ok, I guess I'm in :thumbsup2

Welcome!! You're right about the HFCS - very bad for you!!

I'll bet, after being gluten-free for 6 months, you're going to feel great! You'll be eating more natural things (veggies, meats, eggs, fruits) and cutting all those nasty bad carbs from your diet - that your body doesn't need anyway! Who invented white flour anyway? :confused3

Stick around, and keep us informed of your progress with it! :banana:

stacktester
05-07-2008, 08:05 PM

I'll bet, after being gluten-free for 6 months, you're going to feel great! You'll be eating more natural things (veggies, meats, eggs, fruits) and cutting all those nasty bad carbs from your diet - that your body doesn't need anyway! Who invented white flour anyway? :confused3

Hey Rhonda I saw in one of your posts that you added some fiber one to something. F1 is very good as 1 gram of fiber blocks one carb from what I read in a nutrition magazine.

Shannone1
05-07-2008, 08:40 PM
I was not good tonight. We went to Red Robin for dinner and I was starving. I had a BBQ chicken wrap and some fries. I wish I could say I tried to be healthy. I did have a diet pop ;)

Oh well, tomorrow is another day, right ??

VACAMPER
05-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Tomorrow is another day! I had a couple of my daughters cookies today. Other than that i had a pretty good day. Anyone else have a problem eating their kids leftovers. I've had them to start using paper plates and trash everything when their done.

Rhonda
05-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Hey Rhonda I saw in one of your posts that you added some fiber one to something. F1 is very good as 1 gram of fiber blocks one carb from what I read in a nutrition magazine.

Yes - they cancel each other out. Example: If something has 6 grams of carbs, and 3 grams of fiber, you only count 3 carbs. :cool1:

stacktester
05-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Yes - they cancel each other out. Example: If something has 6 grams of carbs, and 3 grams of fiber, you only count 3 carbs. :cool1:

So is that where net carb comes from? What if you eat a crap load of fiber and something with carbs, will it cancel that too lol?

BigDaddyRog
05-07-2008, 09:03 PM

Wow...this is news...I didnt know this!!!! What a great little carb bonus!!!:thumbsup2

seabee
05-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Good evening all! You guys crack me up with the running. I too am not a runner, and VACAMPER, I require depends as well. I didn't think you HAD to run the 5k. I was assuming I could walk it. If I were to run it I would be looking for the nearest bush to duck behind and a way to just "show up" at the finish line!:rolleyes1

We4mickey
05-07-2008, 09:11 PM
I have to say you guys are a hoot! I am sitting here laughing as I catch up on this thread. I have to try to figure out when I can get some exercise in. I think maybe I will ride my bike, that way I can get DH (I hope) to go with me.

Shannone1
05-07-2008, 09:18 PM
There is another exercise that will burn 150-300 calories an hour. It is something your parents all did it at one point ;)

VACAMPER
05-07-2008, 09:18 PM
I don't work and i still find it difficult to fit in exercise. If i try and get up early (5:00am) the treadmill wakes the kids up, I babysit so i'm afraid to leave the kids on loose during the day(i can't see them), in the evening i'm always running my older kids to ball games, come home do homework, fix dinner, wash dishes etc and its time for bed. I do sometimes fit it in when the little ones are napping during the day.

VACAMPER
05-07-2008, 09:19 PM
There is another exercise that will burn 150-300 calories an hour. It is something your parents all did it at one point ;)

Who wants to do that?:lmao:

Eeyore'sthebest
05-07-2008, 09:20 PM

Rhonda, you just described my diet. I had gastric bypass 5 months ago and stick mainly to high protein, natural items - chicken, fresh veggies, eggs and fresh fruit. Besides the 110 pounds I've lost, I feel so much better with none of that crap in my diet. No bread, pasta, rice or sugar! Its really great. And after awhile you stop craving it.

Oh yeah, and I add extra fiber everyday! Didn't know they cancelled out carbs. Now I don't feel so bad for eating that dang banana!!

Shannone1
05-07-2008, 09:21 PM
in the evening i'm always running my older kids to ball games, come home do homework, fix dinner, wash dishes etc and its time for bed.

Hey....that sounds like MY life !! :headache:

auntie
05-07-2008, 09:21 PM

Play golf?:rotfl2:

BigDaddyRog
05-07-2008, 09:25 PM
An HOUR!!!!!!!!!!! a FREAKIN HOUR??????????????? How many cals get burned in 37 seconds??????

VACAMPER
05-07-2008, 09:27 PM
An HOUR!!!!!!!!!!! a FREAKIN HOUR??????????????? How many cals get burned in 37 seconds??????

:lmao: You should really work on that! Your poor wife (or lucky depends on how you look at it):lmao: :rotfl:

seabee
05-07-2008, 09:34 PM
:lmao: I was on FitDay and they have that as an "activity" to include in your daily workup. For moderate activity you only burned something like 10 calories. I figure I can do that walking down my driveway, and it's a lot less work! :lmao:

seabee
05-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Ok, I just checked it out

For moderate effort for 1/2 hour it is 11 calories
For vigorous effort for 1/2 hour it is 19 calories

I'll take a walk!

BigDaddyRog
05-07-2008, 09:42 PM
So 4 extra calories for showing off...........hmmmm. Does pretending shes someone else get bonus calories????

Im just kidding people.....I LOVE my ol'lady and KNOW how lucky I am to have her...just because she accidentally calls me Mr Pitt occassionally doesnt offend me at all!!!

VACAMPER
05-07-2008, 09:43 PM
Rog, I don't think you'll be burning many calories at all.:lmao:

Shannone1
05-07-2008, 09:46 PM

I'll take a walk!

Wow...that's a lot different than the article I just read. Now I am wondering how you would burn 150 or more calories an hour. Hmmmmm

BigDaddyRog
05-07-2008, 09:47 PM
This is why Ive always been a fan of low carb diets vs low cal!!!!

Shannone1
05-07-2008, 09:47 PM

I'll take a walk!

Wow...that's a lot different than the article I just read. Now I am wondering how you would burn 150 or more calories an hour. Hmmmmm :yay: :yay:

VACAMPER
05-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Wow...that's a lot different than the article I just read. Now I am wondering how you would burn 150 or more calories an hour. Hmmmmm :yay: :yay:

Probably just for females. When they do the work. Or for men when they have to chase and harass their wives to give in. That could take longer than an hour though.

auntie
05-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Where did you see this article?...Hmmm...Was it your HUSBAND who told you about it?. :laughing:

BigDaddyRog
05-07-2008, 09:54 PM
lolol

seabee
05-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Auntie that was hilarious. Also Rog, I checked for you 37 sec. aprx. .5 calories.

VACAMPER
05-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Rog, look at it this way, you need to keep practicing in order to build yourself up to burn more calories.

Rhonda
05-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Wow - am I the first one up this morning? Good morning everyone! Rise & Shine! :cool1:

I did great yesterday - my worst thing was a scoop of sugar free ice cream last night - and that's not bad! Down another pound this morning!

Meals today:
breakfast: 2 Flax Seed/Cranberry cookies (I know--bad. I need to get to the grocery store for breakfast stuff)
lunch: 1/2 chicken wrap on low carb wrap
dinner: Garlic/Herb chicken breast, green beans

My cold/flu thingy is finally getting better -- I actually slept through most of the night last night without coughing all night! :banana:

Have a great day everyone!

djblu883
05-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Rhonda those do sound good...where do you find those? I know flax is really good for you! I had a good day yesterday too...and managed to not go into hypoglycemia so maybe I'll repeat my day lol

PolynesianPixie
05-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Auntie that was hilarious. Also Rog, I checked for you 37 sec. aprx. .5 calories.

Well, obviously none of you were burning these calories last night! :lmao:

VACAMPER
05-08-2008, 08:09 AM
Glad your feeling better Rhonda. Here's hoping everyone has a good last day before weigh-ins tomorrow.

PolynesianPixie
05-08-2008, 08:09 AM
It seems we all have issues fitting in exercise, so I looked up some tips for easy ways to get a little extra into your day:

Do housework yourself instead of hiring someone else to do it.

Work in the garden or mow the grass. Using a riding mower doesn't count!

Rake leaves, prune, dig and pick up trash.

Go out for a short walk before breakfast, after dinner or both! Start with 5-10 minutes and work up to 30 minutes.

Walk or bike to the corner store instead of driving.

When walking, pick up the pace from leisurely to brisk. Choose a hilly route.

When watching TV, sit up instead of lying on the sofa. Better yet, spend a few minutes pedaling on your stationary bicycle while watching TV. Throw away your video remote control.

Instead of asking someone to bring you a drink, get up off the couch and get it yourself.

Stand up while talking on the telephone.

Walk the dog.

Park farther away at the shopping mall and walk the extra distance. Wear your walking shoes and sneak in an extra lap or two around the mall.

Stretch to reach items in high places and squat or bend to look at items at floor level.

Keep exercise equipment repaired and use it!

To burn extra calories during adult time, add calisthenics.

Eeyore'sthebest
05-08-2008, 08:13 AM
I'm awake! I had a good day yesterday. I didn't stick my finger in my DD's chocolate cake last night. And boy that looked good!!! Big struggle not to lick the plate.
Have a good day all!

Eeyore'sthebest
05-08-2008, 08:17 AM
When watching TV, sit up instead of lying on the sofa. Better yet, spend a few minutes pedaling on your stationary bicycle while watching TV. Throw away your video remote control.

My tv doesn't have any buttons except the on/off.:rotfl2:

auntie
05-08-2008, 08:28 AM
It seems we all have issues fitting in exercise, so I looked up some tips for easy ways to get a little extra into your day:

Do housework yourself instead of hiring someone else to do it.

Work in the garden or mow the grass. Using a riding mower doesn't count!

Rake leaves, prune, dig and pick up trash.

Go out for a short walk before breakfast, after dinner or both! Start with 5-10 minutes and work up to 30 minutes.

Walk or bike to the corner store instead of driving.

When walking, pick up the pace from leisurely to brisk. Choose a hilly route.

Instead of asking someone to bring you a drink, get up off the couch and get it yourself.

Stand up while talking on the telephone.

Walk the dog.

Park farther away at the shopping mall and walk the extra distance. Wear your walking shoes and sneak in an extra lap or two around the mall.

Stretch to reach items in high places and squat or bend to look at items at floor level.

Keep exercise equipment repaired and use it!

To burn extra calories during adult time, add calisthenics.

Great tips Ami.:thumbsup2

As far as cleaning..if I didn't do it..no one would!..So, I guess that's a good thing?....Not sure.

I always find that I'm much more active in the spring/summer when I'm outside gardening.

Even the dog is happy about my exercising a bit more..he's getting two more waks a day, and is lovin' it!:lovestruc

As far as the calisthenics...REALLY?...:scared1: