PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: In Honor of ROBERT "BAWB" VARLEY May 3, 2008

DLBDS
05-03-2008, 11:36 AM
My fellow DISers,

Please post here what you are doing today in honor of Bawb. I thought it would help Bawb's close friends and family to see that they are not alone today; that the DIS community is also remembering Bawb today in our own individual ways. I will be leaving the DISboards after I post this and will return again at 3:00. While the service is being held, I will be here. (Possibly, eating some pineapple chunks. It's the closest thing to a Dole Whip I can get.) I only ask that everyone post once to limit the "chatter". Edit as needed.

I'll see you guys again soon.

DLBDS

Hedy
05-03-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm listening to the e-mail show. I never got around to listening to it. I finished the last podcast last night.
ETA: I don't think I mentioned it, but I've asked my dad to keep an eye out for Bob up there.

Mrs Grumpy
05-03-2008, 12:38 PM
I have my candle lit and I said a prayer for all his family and friends. It is all I can think about today. I also watched some of the online videos on youtube.

Castaway Kev
05-03-2008, 12:46 PM
I found Disney's supplier to make the Dole Pineapple Whips. My wife and I will be eating Dole Whips at 1:00 today (Utah Time). We will miss you Bob!

mommyceratops
05-03-2008, 12:49 PM
My 2DS who loved Bob and I are wearing our Dis unplugged shirts, I have dole whips in the freezer and we will watch Bob on wii...(play Bob as they like to call it) his youtube videos. If I can make it through it. We tried it the other night but I cried so much it wasn't fun for them. They got all upset and so I decided it was best to try it later.

The way I cried this morning when I went to buy Dole Pineapple juice I am not sure I can make it....:sad: So when my boys go to sleep I am sure I will watch them tonight and cry more.

I have a balloon (got the idea from someone elses post) the pic of Bawbs cart and my pic of me and Bawb on it that I will let go at 3:00 then have Dole Whips.....drown my sorrow in cookies I made.

Kind of glad DH is out of town this weekend. Not sure he would understand how sad I am.

All other Disers you are in my heart today.

Mr. Plutes
05-03-2008, 12:54 PM
I'll be thinking of all the love people had for Bawb. Plutes and I will be saying a prayer for all. And a good nap is called for in Bawb's honor.

*Robin*
05-03-2008, 12:57 PM
I lit a candle this morning for the family and friends, and have been saying a little prayer now and then in their honor.

My son wants to watch the kartkam videos tonight and we will be planning a special Dole Whip treat for our trip in October.

Today I am also designing a small pin for my pin bag. Just because.

(I think it's because I listened to so many podcasts in the last few days, and I really just want to have a small something with my Disney things to honor Bob, he was my favorite podcaster (because he reminded me so much of my own goofy uncle, whom I lost just over 2 years ago) -the antics with everyone on the podcasts would make me laugh out loud every week...and pins are my favorite, so there you have it.)

-And how's that for an incredibly bad run on sentence??-

WaltD4Me
05-03-2008, 01:05 PM
I have been listening to old podcasts today, it's hard, but I think it's a wonderful tribute, that as sad as I am, Bawb can still make me smile.

I will also be lighting a pineapple candle today at 3pm. And tonight my nieces and nephew are coming over and we are going to make a version of Dole Whips to eat while playing Disney Trivial Prusuit and Disney Scene It.

DVCJones
05-03-2008, 01:08 PM
I am wearing my DIS Unplugged T-shirt all day!!!!

I will be thinking of the Podcast Team and Bob's entire family, keeping you all close to my heart.:grouphug:

I still can't believe it!!!

DisnyMama
05-03-2008, 01:09 PM
DS (17) will be wearing his Disunplugged shirt under his Kroger uniform shirt to work this afternoon and I will light a candle at 2:00 p.m.CST in honor of our dear friend Bob.

Shannon

cocowum
05-03-2008, 01:11 PM
I will be lighting a candle and praying for his family and friends.

Alicnwondrln
05-03-2008, 01:13 PM
I am going to light a candle as well.

safetymom
05-03-2008, 01:14 PM
I will be at the service for Bob this afternoon.

Dizney_Fanatic
05-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Unfortunatly, I do not have a candle (fire hazard) however, Bob is in my mind. I send out a ton of prayers and pixie dust to his family.

daneenm
05-03-2008, 01:23 PM
DD and I will be listening to old podcasts on our way to her swim meet this afternoon. We watched some of the youtube videos last night. The make me smile every time.

--Daneen

DisDarling
05-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I will be thinking of Bob all day and praying for everyone who it has affected. We will be having a Dole Whip in his honor in September. We will miss you so much Bawb, still can't believe you are gone.

Amy and the rest of the Petermanns from WI

Terk-1
05-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Am sending out my prayers for Bob to his family & friends. I hope he is sharing a Dole Whip and talking to Walt Disney himself right now.

kimbac3
05-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Listening to old podcasts and DD and I will watch some of the You tube videos.

Prayers to his family and friends.

Kim

CamColt
05-03-2008, 01:30 PM
While I came to he computer to work, I just can't seem to stop reading these threads and looking at the pictures and videos all around here.

I was at my DS's soccer game earlier and I looked at the schedule to see what team we were facing. Ironically enough it was the Cheetahs. That certainly made me smile and think of Bob.

Thinking of you all today. :grouphug:

Pinky166
05-03-2008, 01:32 PM
I will be lighting a candle at 8pm (UK time) and watching some of the youtube clips whilst thinking of all of Bawb's family and friends.

...and probably cry lots again!

maiziezoe
05-03-2008, 02:16 PM
I will light a candle at 2:00 (CST) and I am making my own version of a Dole Whip.. I am wearing my PodCast T-shirt.

jackdis
05-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Prayers are being said.
Hugs to you.....:grouphug:

peacelovemickey
05-03-2008, 02:25 PM
At 2:00 (CST) I am lighting a candle, saying a prayer and toasting with Dole Pineapple orange juice which is the closest thing I have. It is about 10 minutes until the service right now. I am picturing the Podcast Team sitting together at the service and comforting each other. I am wishing I could be there. I wish you all laughter through tears which is the emotion I think heals the heart and soul.

Jodi
05-03-2008, 02:33 PM
I will share with all the people in my family, those that didn't know Bob, what a gentle soul he was. When they ask me how could I know this, that I never met him, I will tell them that it just came through in is voice, how he shared himself & his stories. That's all we really have to offer anyone in the end...just ourselves & our stories.

Verandah Man
05-03-2008, 02:38 PM
I'm sitting here listening to last weeks podcast show, it's now 3pm on the east coast. Bob's voice will never be silenced. :goodvibes

WaltD4Me
05-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I honestly didn't plan it, but I've been listening to podcasts today and I had the 5/1 podcast on and at 3pm the part about the Dole Whips and Bawb's empty cups in the cooler was on as I lit my pineapple candle.

erogers
05-03-2008, 02:44 PM
It is now 3 p.m. in Florida. I am saying a prayer for Bob's family and friends as they gather to remember him - such a fun-loving, big-hearted man. May his loved ones find comfort in each other and be able to clebrate Bob's life today knowing there are thousands of us all over the world joining with them in spirit.
We miss you, Bob! Thank for all the laughter and joy you brought to our lives.

beachwarmer
05-03-2008, 02:45 PM
I just planted a tree.

I am think of all his friends and family gathered in Orlando at this moment celebrating the life of a wonderful human being and am with them in spirit.

Rest in peace Bob.

:sad:
Kelly

peacelovemickey
05-03-2008, 02:47 PM
I was just doing my Bawb tribute and a song called "I saw God Today" came on the radio....Very peaceful!

LilGMom
05-03-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm wearing my DIS Unplugged shirt and as soon as I stop crying, from watching the memorial video, I'll be eating some pineapple.

My heart breaks for the Bob's family, Podcast crew and the many close friends he had.

bcvdreamer
05-03-2008, 02:58 PM
May your loving memories of Bob bring you laughter and comfort.

Rest in Peace, Bob!

sanapunk
05-03-2008, 03:01 PM
I went and bought a little palm tree to take care of in Bob's memory. All I really can do is send a lot of love and "dixie butts" to the podcast and Bob's family. :( The little memorial one the disboards page made my cry buckets.

PlutoGirl1117
05-03-2008, 03:06 PM
I just listened to the oldest podcast listed. Going to work my way up!

Plutes
05-03-2008, 03:17 PM
As DH posted previously (#6), he DID take a nap, in honor of Bawb, he said.

Then, promptly at 3 p.m., I woke him up and we lit two candles, which we'll allow to extinguish on their own...

just sooo sad today...:sad1: Bawb, we'll really miss you....

:grouphug: to all...

Tonya2426
05-03-2008, 03:17 PM
I took a nap in Bawb's memory. :love:

Annette_VA
05-03-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm wearing my DIS Unplugged t-shirt today. I'm now sitting here, thinking of the team and Bob's family sitting at the memorial right now. I'm sure the service is packed with people that Bob has touched over his life.

WaltD4Me
05-03-2008, 03:49 PM
For the people who have said they never listened to the podcasts and even for those who have, it's great to listen to the 10th Anniversary Show from 6/12/07. Bob talks about his love of Disney and how he made his dream came true when he moved to Florida and became part of Dreams Unlimited, the DIS and the podcast. As sad as I am today, I love hearing Bob talk about living his dream. How many of us can say that?

Here is a link to all the podcast shows, the Anniversary show is near
the top of the right hand side.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-podcast/downloads.htm

mommyceratops
05-03-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm wearing my DIS Unplugged t-shirt today. I'm now sitting here, thinking of the team and Bob's family sitting at the memorial right now. I'm sure the service is packed with people that Bob has touched over his life.

Me too Annette.....

I sent a pic of DS7 with Bob for the memorial...I forget now if John said it was for the meet or the memorial. I gues I feel like we are there.

DS7 keeps asking me about him...... All I can do is cry.

PKK/MJK
05-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Just finished watching the uTube video of 'Oh, That Magic Kingdom in the Sky'! It brought a smile to my face--and I'm sure Bob would have wanted us all to try and smile. I'm thinking of Bob's family and our Podcast crew at the Memorial Service and hoping that being together is bringing them all comfort.

Disney4eva
05-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Hello everyone! I just wanted to let you know that i was just listening to my dis unplugged podcasts and i happened to be listening to "Bawb's" reveiw of Pop Century Resort and I was thinking how different the show will seem without him :sad1:

Kristina
05-03-2008, 04:06 PM
I am here in Sweden and remembered Bob this morning when I woke up, and came here to watch videos are read about him as I have every day since he passed on. God bless Bob all of his family and friends. We will be remembering Bob on our trip to the world in some way too.

What a beautiful tribute the Dis has done with the video :love:!

mommyceratops
05-03-2008, 04:12 PM
I am here in Sweden and remembered Bob this morning when I woke up, and came here to watch videos are read about him as I have every day since he passed on. God bless Bob all of his family and friends. We will be remembering Bob on our trip to the world in some way too.

What a beautiful tribute the Dis has done with the video :love:!

It is so awesome Bob is being remembered around the world!

Madi100
05-03-2008, 04:30 PM
I am going to listen to the anniversary episode and am wearing my podcast T-shirt.

disneymom8589
05-03-2008, 04:41 PM
DH and I listened to the 10th anniversary Podcast show when the Podcasters all told how they came to join the Dis. We will definitely miss Bawb! We'll have a Dole Whip in his memory when we're at WDW in July. :)

farmergirl
05-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I am sitting home today watching Bawb video. Shedding the tears. I tear up when I think of how many laughs he gave my husband I. What a wonderful gift.:sad1:

artman
05-03-2008, 04:59 PM
My family and I usually listen to the podcast while going for a weekend drive. This week no podcast, but we shared some of our favorite Bob moments.

kab407
05-03-2008, 05:06 PM
I had a dole whip in the mk this afternoon for Bob. It was the most fitting thing I could do for him today.

Safe journey dear friend!

Carolinagal
05-03-2008, 05:10 PM
I've downloaded all of the available Podcasts and am listening to them all this afternoon. I'm also offering prayers for Bob, his family, and many, many friends for their peace and comfort.

Thank you, Bob, and God's blessings to you all

UrsulasShadow
05-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Lit a candle at 3pm. Listened to old podcasts. At sundown, will have a moe-gee-toe in Bawb's honor.

DisDarling
05-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Lit a candle at 3pm. Listened to old podcasts. At sundown, will have a moe-gee-toe in Bawb's honor.

Sounds perfect Mindy.

BeamsofLight
05-03-2008, 06:44 PM
I watched some Kaht Kam of the Magic Kingdom (through watery eyes :sad1: ) and am looking forward to some pineapple ice cream later.

tinkbutt
05-03-2008, 06:56 PM
my thoughts and prayers have been with you guys all day!!! I wore my memorial shirt out today!

IWISHFORDISNEY
05-03-2008, 07:41 PM
I listened to his flower and garden review. I am lighting a candle at church tomorrow and we are having dole whips for dessert. We will defiantely be thinking of the family and podcast crew this weekend.

elemusing
05-03-2008, 10:35 PM
I have been praying and specifically thinking about the gang and Bawb's family all day - but we were traveling home from out of town during the memorial time - so I leaned back in my seat, put the ear buds in, and listened to park music in honor of Bawb.

We love you BAWB.

kiddoc
05-03-2008, 11:20 PM
We also lit a candle for Bawb today. I also lifted his family and friends in prayer.

miss missy
05-04-2008, 12:57 AM
I didn't post yesterday, but I listen to the podcasts and I lit a candle. I read al lthe stories I can on the boards. Read Pete's eulogy and sat in awe of what this man had to say about such a great friend. We should all be blessed. What I am taking away today- from Bob, is to put a smile and love a little more loudly! :flower3:

bettyann29
05-04-2008, 01:43 AM
I will be thinking of my fellow Disers and podcrew.. You guys are in my thoughts .. :hug:

I will be lighting a candle today in honor of Bawb!

jackdis
05-04-2008, 08:01 AM
I didn't post yesterday, but I listen to the podcasts and I lit a candle. I read al lthe stories I can on the boards. Read Pete's eulogy and sat in awe of what this man had to say about such a great friend. We should all be blessed. What I am taking away today- from Bob, is to put a smile and love a little more loudly! :flower3:

I did not know this amazing man, and I yet I am also so saddened by his sudden passing. Do you have a link to the eulogy? I'm sure it was a wonderful tribute to the wonderful person Bawb.

Verandah Man
05-04-2008, 08:21 AM
I did not know this amazing man, and I yet I am also so saddened by his sudden passing. Do you have a link to the eulogy? I'm sure it was a wonderful tribute to the wonderful person Bawb.

If you haven't already seen it, click on the BLOG link above.

jackdis
05-04-2008, 08:35 AM
If you haven't already seen it, click on the BLOG link above.

Thank you......how beautiful!
My prayers are being said for him, his family, and his friends.
:grouphug:

*NikkiBell*
05-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Got my Dole Whip pin out...lighting a candle at 3 PM today as well....this is very hard for me. I can't imagine how the Podcasters and family are doing.

SimonV
05-04-2008, 01:21 PM
It's hard to know exactly what to do today in terms of a tribute (within the confines of being 1,000 miles away from Orlando and the usual ton of work to shift), and I'm not 100% sure Bob would have wanted anything particularly special in the circumstances. I just think it's important we remember him - and continue to send messages of support to his family - in our own way.

I guess I am just thinking of him more than usual and of the special Podcast meet going on at Gaylord Palms, hoping everyone is bearing up and finding a special place in their hearts for our very good friend, somewhere where his memory will truly live forever and we can call it to mind at an instant whenever we need to.

My first memory of Bob was (inevitably) online, way back when the DIS was still a relatively young and unknown entity, and I vividly recollect 'Sheriff" Wilderness riding on to the boards one day (in Pete's absence, I think) to 'clean up this town' and knock some sense into a few of the more obstinate posters. He did a grand job way back then and I remember thinking - 'Wow! This isn't a guy to mess with!"

Fast-forward a few years and we were all on the inaugural media sailing of the Disney Magic (I think; it might have been the Wonder, but it was all a bit hazy!). And there was Bob. Everywhere. Recording every cough and spit of the 83,000 ton ship; videoing things like a madman if they moved and photographing them if they didn't! What a human dynamo he was! And that's certainly how I will remember him - as an utterly dedicated, non-stop, whole-hearted, gives-his-all kind of human being. Keen to make sure the DIS was as good as we could possibly make it, and probably a bit more besides.

And that's how we felt about his friendship, too. Totally unconditional and heartfelt; a true trooper and always caring. We are certainly the richer for having known him.

tiberius
05-04-2008, 02:10 PM
I was out volunteering at a local triathlon yesterday, and wore my DIS WISH hat as a small memory of Bob. I was probably a sight in neon yellow cap and bright orange race shirt.

M&M's
05-04-2008, 02:29 PM
I wore my Disney cap today when I went grocery shopping with the family. It's not much, but every time my 15 month old daughter would reach for my hat (since she loves to take it off of me and put it back on), I would think of Bob and smile.

Someday when we are in Disney and she's old enough, I will tell her about this guy from Massachusetts who loved Disney and devoted his life to spreading that love to anyone who would lend an ear.

Man, Bob is going to be missed.

connorsmom911
05-04-2008, 02:59 PM
I am a recent follower of the podcasts, so feel I barely had a chance to get to know Bob, but paused and thought of him with a fellow co-worker and disser this morning at shift change. Will do like so many others in a few weeks when I am in Disney...will have a dole whip (my first) in his honour and sit on a bench and watch the world go by for a moment. My heart goes out to his family and thousands of friends on the disboards and around the world. We'll miss you Bob.:sad1:

Budzrig
05-04-2008, 03:13 PM
I am not a regular to the boards and have never posted previously, however I was compelled to after reading many posts in Bob's memory.
I am a faithful listener to the podcast and was a bit miffed when lasts week show wasn't on ITunes and went to the site to see what was up.
Immediately seeing the video slowly loading I knew something was amiss.

Well it didn't take long to feel like someone had punched me in the stomach when I say the images Corey had put together and I found myself out of sorts the rest of the day, mourning a guy I never met, and knew little about.

What came through on the podcasts was Bob's genuine love for his co-workers and his effort to give 100% to the task he was given (you all do), so much so that I think that explains the frequent naps!

I will truly miss him on the Podcast as he was one of a kind. I hope you all can move on and keep putting out the excellent product that you do, evn though it won't be the same...it will still be excellent.

And to put a positive spin on things, Bob is just taking the ultimate nap waiting for the next Shuttle launch, where he'll have the best view he's ever had...

Good luck all.

peanut1967
05-04-2008, 04:05 PM
I lit a candle for a friend today
A friend I have never met
A friend that made me smile
A friend that made me think twice
A friend that cared
A friend that shared the same love as me

I lit a candle for a friend today
A friend I will never get the joy to meet
A friend I will never get the chance to make smile