PDA

View Full Version : Something for Bob in the parks...?

sconnell
04-30-2008, 09:33 PM
I remember a purple rose at the Goofy statue for one of our departed DISers, anyone else? I'm sorry I can't remember her name right now. I'm so frazzled...

What can we do as a continual tribute for Bob? Take a pic at the Dole Whip place then post it to a thread? Is there something else?

I may not be clear...

DLBDS
04-30-2008, 09:35 PM
I understand what you're saying and I think I like this idea!

IWISHFORDISNEY
04-30-2008, 09:38 PM
This does sound like a great idea.

firsttimemom
04-30-2008, 09:39 PM
He was a big fan of the flower and garden festival at EPCOT. I loved hearing him talk about the roses and seeing his phots as we were still finishing out winter. Perhaps something there.

WaDiWo
04-30-2008, 09:43 PM
YES!! great idea sconnell... now let's please think of a place, some spot in the park, where we as DISers can connect with each other and with Bob.

It would be cool to pick an exact spot that we can all touch on every visit just so we know that we all were there, you know? great idea. Just so you know, on *another* disney discussion board (don't worry, disboards is the best) they chose Cinderella's slipper on the mural in the castle as the spot that they all touch.

In regards to Bob, the Dole Whip idea is great sconnell. We can find a spot on the stand that we can all touch, and/or pose next to. Or maybe look through the pictures of Bob that people already have and see what he touched. You know?

WaDiWo

dpuck1998
04-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Can we maybe leave a lime green mickey head somewhere? Just brainstorm'en...

amyhughes
04-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Does anyone know where his family brick is?

ETA: Not that I condone leaving paper on the ground in Disney. But if you could leave a Lime Green Mickey Head there maybe that would be a way to pay tribute when you come down? I just don't want to create more work for the CMs.

DLBDS
04-30-2008, 09:59 PM
Can we maybe leave a lime green mickey head somewhere? Just brainstorm'en...

I think this would be considered more like littering....unless it was used as a prop in a pic and then promptly removed once pic is taken.

disneycruise05
04-30-2008, 10:04 PM
I love this idea. We'll be able to remember Bawb whenever we're in the parks.

sconnell
04-30-2008, 10:12 PM
I was looking at his profile (someone posted a link) and it was asking him questions... One of his answers led you to a bench on the path from the hub to adventureland. It was his secret parade bench. What about here? We could get a Dole Whip and eat it here for the 3pm parade? Or just get a pic...

amyhughes
04-30-2008, 10:16 PM
I was looking at his profile (someone posted a link) and it was asking him questions... One of his answers led you to a bench on the path from the hub to adventureland. It was his secret parade bench. What about here? We could get a Dole Whip and eat it here for the 3pm parade? Or just get a pic...

I like this a lot! Maybe make a sign with the Mickey on it and hold it up for a quick picture and a relaxing Dole Whip in his honor.

disneycruise05
04-30-2008, 10:34 PM
I love the idea of getting a dole whip and sitting on Bawb's secret parade bench. Getting a pic there and posting it on a thread I also think would be a great idea.

I'm not sure who all is going to be at the parks around the time of the Podcast memorial. I get in a few days afterwards (darn stats final exam). I'll be at MK on the 8th and plan on getting a dole whip in Bawb's honor if anybody would like to join me.

sconnell
04-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Let's get lots of people on this... I really want to get everyone on a concentrated thing... We'll remember him in a bunch of ways, but one tribute thing in the park would make more impact.

amyhughes
04-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Ours won't be posted until November I am afraid, but I would be happy to play any part I can!

DisFhan
04-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Just signing up, so I can get the details of what people come up with. Sorry I am not very helpful with any ideas but would love to see what the group comes up with..

BeamsofLight
04-30-2008, 11:14 PM
I really love the idea of a thread to post 'Dolewhip on the secret parade bench' pictures. :goodvibes

hayanyujah847
04-30-2008, 11:30 PM
I think these are some great ideas. Subbing to see what is agreed upon.

macheath
04-30-2008, 11:59 PM
I love this thread and the ideas. I'm subbing so I can be a part of it too! (if I can figure out how...newbie here :scratchin )

I've been trying to think all day about something I can do in August to remember Bawb and I would love to be a part of this.
( I was so excited this trip to try and find "Kaht Kam" and Bawb in the parks. :sad1: )
Thanks for coming up with the idea!

DJ Disney Kid
05-01-2008, 12:43 AM
I think taking pics and stopping in certain spots for an extended period of time is too precise. I like the idea of just touching a specific item or place. Preferably something that is very common like the Dole Whip stand, rather than some out of the ordinary item. Its much easier to just pass by something and touch it non-chalantly ( did i spell that right? lol ) rather than drag your family to some corner of the park as they watch you touch a bench and then walk away. They'll think your nuts, and its not the easiest thing to explain to someone your with how you can have a connection to a podcast person you never met.

My vote is that we touch anywhere on the Dole Whip stand.

Pinky166
05-01-2008, 01:38 AM
I like the bench idea....it seems as though it was one of Bob's secret quiet spots. For all we know it could have been his quiet little nap area! ;)

I think the Dole whip stand is a great idea too but I think that it is always busy round that area so people may not want to stop and take a minute to remember Bob in such a public area. I never had the pleasure of meeting him but have shed many a tear these last few days, so somewhere a bit more out of the way would be better IMO.

Maybe the OP could set a poll up when we get a few more ideas?

BRobson
05-01-2008, 02:56 AM
I love the idea of doing something in the parks for Bawb.Just throwing my thoughts - letting a balloon go in Main Steet or even something in Epcot as he seemed to spend a lot of his time there.

Maybe in the weeks ahead we could get Pete and the guys suggestions - I am sure they would know Bawbs spots :hug:

I was so looking forward to looking for Bob on our July trip - I cant believe I wont ever get the chance :sad1: Welling up again :confused3

Launchpad11B
05-01-2008, 04:35 AM
A tribute to Bawb while in the parks is a great idea. I'm in. I'm going to take a nap in every park!!:thumbsup2

bettyann29
05-01-2008, 04:53 AM
oh what a wonderful idea! I will be there later this month and would love to do anything I can..

I also remember a spot on Main Street that I would often hear him say that he would go at opening and sit and have a coffee and watch the people go by..

ms*mountaineer
05-01-2008, 04:57 AM
Whenever anyone orders a Dole Whip at the place in Adventureland, we could tell the person taking our order that "Bawb sent me" or "Bawb told me to try one of these".

kab407
05-01-2008, 05:18 AM
I am planning on having a dole whip in Bob's honor when I get into the mk in the next day or two.I'll see if i can get someone to take a picture.

(from the crackberry)

peacelovemickey
05-01-2008, 06:05 AM
I'm in!

prettypixie
05-01-2008, 06:14 AM
I'm in, when I am down in Sept I will stop by the bench with my Dole Whip to remember Bawb!

mommyceratops
05-01-2008, 06:21 AM
Love the idea.....

A dole whip, a parade, a nap, I want there to be something that I can do in honor of Bob.......every time when I am down there.

But it has to be something totally out there also....Something all Dissers can do. Finally something I can think about instead of how sad I am.

My DS and I are going out for sushi this weekend in honor of Bawb.

luna99
05-01-2008, 06:22 AM
Whenever anyone orders a Dole Whip at the place in Adventureland, we could tell the person taking our order that "Bawb sent me" or "Bawb told me to try one of these".

oooh, I like this idea even though they may think we are crazy! ;)

I'm in for whatever becomes the popular vote.. but I really like the idea of taking a picture of yourself in whatever spot is picked and then posting it all on one long thread.. that way we can all look at that thread and see the beautiful, smiling faces of some of the people that Bawb touched.

tomu570
05-01-2008, 06:50 AM
I like the bench and dole whip idea. But Bawb said "you will see several benches on the right. Sit down at either of the first two". We would have to choose either the first or second one to be the "spot".

Regardless of the "official decision" on Bawb's tribute spot, I plan on taking a seat on one of those benches during my upcoming trip in August and posting the pic.

Alztybrn
05-01-2008, 07:09 AM
Can someone tell me exactly where this bench is?

scarlett873
05-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Liking these ideas! I won't get there until at least next year, but i'll do my part then!

I'm having a moe-gee-toe this Sunday, in honor of Bawb!

tristessaFL
05-01-2008, 07:16 AM
I LOVE the bench idea. I will definitely do that the very next time I am able to get over to WDW. I'm hoping it will be sometime this weekend or next.

Minnie Lor
05-01-2008, 07:36 AM
I'm in. I'll be there in two weeks and again in Oct.

safetymom
05-01-2008, 07:38 AM
If there is anything I can do to help please let me know. I am at the parks all the time.

I went over the other night to have a Dole Whip in Bob's honor. As I walked in the park they were playing You've Got a Friend in me. Got me crying.

IWISHFORDISNEY
05-01-2008, 07:46 AM
I love the Dole whip/bench idea. Maybe we could post a pic of the bench and then we can take a pic there when we are in town. It would be cool to have a sticky thread with all of our pictures on "Bawbs bench". Or what ever spot the podcast crew said was one of his favorite places in the world.

WebmasterJohn
05-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Bob loved everything about WDW. There was not one inch he didn't find magical.

How about just a picture anywhere holding a Dole Whip? It doesn't have to be a specific spot that embodies Bob's love of Disney - more the whimsy and magic of it all.

A Dole Whip can represent your spending time with Bob around the park.

He would love knowing he was able to spend time with you enjoying a Dole Whip anywhere.

John

LilGMom
05-01-2008, 08:51 AM
I'll be trying my first Dole Whip this trip. So if you catch me in the parks (in less than two weeks) talking to my Dole Whip don't think of me as crazy

calypso*a*go-go
05-01-2008, 09:06 AM
I posted previously that I didn't particularly care for Dole Whips...but for Bawb I'd eat one in a minute!!! We'll be there in August and you can bet there will be some pictures taken of a melancholy gal choking down this diabetic coma in a cup! :thumbsup2

WebmasterJohn
05-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Oh - I actually won't be eating the vile thing :rotfl:

lttlmc3
05-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Whenever I get back to the parks, you can be sure I will have a dole whip for Bawb.

miss missy
05-01-2008, 09:17 AM

How about just a picture anywhere holding a Dole Whip? It doesn't have to be a specific spot that embodies Bob's love of Disney - more the whimsy and magic of it all.

He would love knowing he was able to spend time with you enjoying a Dole Whip anywhere.

John

I like this idea! I bet Pete will put a special category ie. "Dole Whips in memory of Bob" in the DIS Community Photo Gallery section for the pics and we can all post them there. I have only one concern... THEY ARE GOING TO RUN OUT OF DOLE WHIPS!!!! ;)

I was thinking if we did the bench thing, what if they removed the bench one day :scared1: we would of had to do a spot that will never be gone, ya know. But this being it is the whole park and a Dole Whip :thumbsup2 I can see it now, pics of the someone with a Dole Whip on the train, on a bench, in front of Peter Pan, the Castle... how cool that is could be everywhere Bob loved, like John said ALL of WDW!!

Now I am getting excited, we can honor Bob by doing the things he loved best :goodvibes

WebmasterJohn
05-01-2008, 09:19 AM
I have only one concern... THEY ARE GOING TO RUN OUT OF DOLE WHIPS!!!! ;)

Or worse yet - what if they raise the price!?!?!?

If they get to be too much money we could all rent a stroller for Bob :lmao:

LilGMom
05-01-2008, 09:24 AM

I'll sit in a double stroller eating a dole whip while my children push me. :)

Sidenote: Good to see a smiley from a Podcast Crew member. :hug:

O2BNWDW
05-01-2008, 09:27 AM
I like the dole whip idea anywhere in the park - maybe I can find me a bootlylicous sitcker somewhere!

DVCsince02
05-01-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm glad to see you boys back. We've missed you.

We'll be there in 17 days. I love Dole Whips and will be sure to post my picture enjoying every bite/sip.

Tonya2426
05-01-2008, 09:32 AM
I posted previously that I didn't particularly care for Dole Whips...but for Bawb I'd eat one in a minute!!! We'll be there in August and you can bet there will be some pictures taken of a melancholy gal choking down this diabetic coma in a cup! :thumbsup2

I must confess that I can only eat the dole whip swirled with vanilla soft serve. It turns out, that for me, too much pineapple is a bad thing. :confused3 Just the thought of eating the dole whip float might send me into anaphylactic shock. :rotfl2:

I do like the idea of a remembering Bawb by eating a dole whip (whatever version you choose) is the way to go - benches seem to be removed at the MK on a regular basis - the Hub is a perfect example of that.

miss missy
05-01-2008, 09:36 AM

Just dump it and do a pic, Bob liked to give you EMPTY Dole Whip cups anyway :lmao:

TSWJan78
05-01-2008, 09:56 AM
I am in... and can I add it feels good to laugh on these boards again... Bawb was so wonderful at always making us laugh.. Thank you guys!!

crazydisneyman
05-01-2008, 10:08 AM
John and Podcast Team,

I can get you guys dole whips at Poly before the meet on Sunday. Are you game? Would it be a good idea?

Let me know, and I will pick them up for you!

peacelovemickey
05-01-2008, 10:22 AM
John and Podcast Team,

I can get you guys dole whips at Poly before the meet on Sunday. Are you game? Would it be a good idea?

Let me know, and I will pick them up for you!

Maybe you should just bring the empty cups! :lmao:

Tonya2426
05-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Maybe you should just bring the empty cups! :lmao:

Props!!! We all know how Bawb loved to bring props in for his segments so I think that would be appropriate. :rotfl2:

tinkbutt
05-01-2008, 10:31 AM
I like the dole whip idea where ever you are it would be nice to know that Bawb is enjoying the whole park in the line at buzz, shopping with a family in the Emporium this sounds great to me !!!!

scarlett873
05-01-2008, 10:41 AM

If they get to be too much money we could all rent a stroller for Bob :lmao: Oh I needed that...:rotfl:

Ok...can someone tell me what is in a Dole Whip? It's been so long that I can't remember!

cocowum
05-01-2008, 10:47 AM

Looks like I too will be eating my first Dole Whip :scared: in August. :)

BTW Great idea sconnel. I love it! :goodvibes

DVCsince02
05-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Ok...can someone tell me what is in a Dole Whip? It's been so long that I can't remember!

Go here!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dole_Whip

cocowum
05-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Oh I needed that...:rotfl:

Pineapple Ice Cream in Pineapple juice...:scared: :thumbsup2

disneycruise05
05-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Oh I needed that...:rotfl:

A dole whip is essentially just pineapple ice cream. That's pretty much it. They also have dole whip floats, which is pineapple ice cream with pineapple juice. They also have vanilla ice cream if you don't want to go into diabetic coma. ;) From the pictures Corey posted, it looks like Bawb preferred the dole whip floats.

scarlett873
05-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Go here!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dole_Whip
Did you see the link for making a dole whip at home??? They sell the mix in a 4.4lb bag!!

I may pick up some pineapple juice and some vanilla ice cream this weekend :)

calypso*a*go-go
05-01-2008, 11:00 AM
Nope -- I'm pretty sure it's just pineapple flavored sugar that they melt, then freeze, and finally...whip into a frenzy. :teeth:

Alztybrn
05-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Does anybody remember what episode Bob brought the empty Dole Whip cups to the podcast? It is not listed in the "archives thread" and I wanted to go back and listen to it again.

mommyceratops
05-01-2008, 03:07 PM

Gosh, I love you John.....

I can see it now......Dole Whips shortage.....The Dole Whip Stand is selling out and can not keep up with the supply.

However in a totally unrelated news - Full cups of MELTED Dole Whips are being found all WDW. Millions of pictures up on the net.

Later on hear from John Magi who made millions on inventing a cup that will keep the Dole Whip from melting and still has a year old Dole Whip cup...never drunk - never melted.

(gosh if my car wasn't making so many funny noises I would be on my way down there)

kimbac3
05-01-2008, 03:12 PM

I'm glad to know that it's the spirit of it that counts!!! I'm diabetic...me and a Dole Whip - not friends!

Maybe DH will try it.......

Kimba

mommyceratops
05-01-2008, 03:15 PM

Hey maybe Bawb could give some extra rain and sunshine for the bad crop of strollers that are causing the price increase.

So do you think Bawb has demanded a meeting with Walt and God to see what they can do help the families down here?! If I didn't have to sell my liver to buy gas today maybe I could get my car fixed so I could drive down for my Dole Whip......

DS7 told me Bawb is eating dinner with God, Walt Disney, John Lennon and Abe Lincoln......Guess they could move mountains with that committee! (DS is a big Beatles fan)

If that wasn't a tangent or soapbox......

sconnell
05-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Just wanted to make sure everybody saw this thread:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1811443

timmac
05-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Does anybody remember what episode Bob brought the empty Dole Whip cups to the podcast? It is not listed in the "archives thread" and I wanted to go back and listen to it again.

You can find it in one of the "best of" episodes. I forget when the original was, though.

cocowum
05-01-2008, 05:06 PM

5/1/07 ~ about 51mins in. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Alztybrn
05-01-2008, 05:59 PM
5/1/07 ~ about 51mins in. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Thanks!

That is actually one of the old episodes I just downloaded to listen to again...who knew it would actually be one of the ones I was looking for!

DisneyKevin
05-01-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm glad to know that it's the spirit of it that counts!!! I'm diabetic...me and a Dole Whip - not friends!

Maybe DH will try it.......

Kimba

Right there with you.....yuck

dpuck1998
05-01-2008, 06:42 PM
Right there with you.....yuck

blasphemy!! Don't talk bad about my favorite food....its no crab cake, but it ain't half bad! Just ask for the side of insulin and you'll be fine.

willis37862
05-01-2008, 06:56 PM

John

That sounds perfect.

finallydvc08
05-01-2008, 07:27 PM
What if everyone buys a Dole Whip but also gives the CM at the counter a LGMH that says "In Memory of Bawb"? This would also give the World a strong indication of it's loss where it might not otherwise be recognized. Who knows? Maybe they would start to collect them and make a memorial for him at the stand. Just thinking out loud . . .

Jennygt
05-01-2008, 08:42 PM
I am ready for anything! The dole whip around wdw sounds good! I am glad that John had some input in this, it is such a good idea, thanks to the op!

M&M's
05-02-2008, 07:46 PM
What if everyone buys a Dole Whip but also gives the CM at the counter a LGMH that says "In Memory of Bawb"? This would also give the World a strong indication of it's loss where it might not otherwise be recognized. Who knows? Maybe they would start to collect them and make a memorial for him at the stand. Just thinking out loud . . . Remember that Pete and the crew had nothing to do with the lime green. In fact, they don't really care for lime green (or at least Pete doesn't anyway). They picked the orange color for the DIS Unplugged, so if you do this, it should be the orange color, for Pete's sake. ;)

finallydvc08
05-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Remember that Pete and the crew had nothing to do with the lime green. In fact, they don't really care for lime green (or at least Pete doesn't anyway). They picked the orange color for the DIS Unplugged, so if you do this, it should be the orange color, for Pete's sake. ;)

Ummm . . . well I don't remember because I am rather new to the board, ;) but orange is fine with me. I'll even go so far to say that I agree with the board's taste. Orange is easier on the eyes than lime green.

I don't really care what the color is. I just thought it might be a meaningful gesture.

I have only listened to the podcast for a month or so, but I was immediately addicted to it. Whenever I put it on, hours later my kids are begging me to please listen to something else. They sort of have a point because I don't just play one episode, I have been going back through the archives too. The podcasts will easily play half the day. And I listen as I do my housework.

My point is that even in a short time I have become attached to the people on the podcast. My heart seized up when I read the thread about Bob's death. I do feel like I have lost a friend, and giving a Mickey head in memory of him to the CM at the Dole Whip appealed to me more than touching the counter or sitting on a bench that may not be there one day.

But I don't think this idea is catching on. Your the only person who has given any feedback on it.

My husband and I do plan on having Dole Whips in honor of Bob when we go in a month. Maybe I will be the lone individual to slip the CM an orange Mickey head and tell him or her briefly about the great person who used to frequent their counter.

OK. Somehow I went from "cheeky" in the beginning of my post to melodramatic at the end. I better quit now before I work myself into despair.:sad1:

WaltD4Me
05-02-2008, 08:43 PM
I have to say I absolutely love this idea. I was planning on doing it anyway, but I think taking a picture for a memorial is great. I won't be there until October, but I'll be having a Dole Whip for Bob. We are going to MNSSHP, so maybe we'll do it that night while watching HalloWishes, I know Bob loved the Halloween version of Wishes.