PDA

View Full Version : Check writing...

Momto2PrncChrmgs
04-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Is it true you can no longer write a check for cash at the front desk of the hotels anymore??? Or to take care of extra charges? We did this last year (I think the limit was $200) when we used all our cash and didn't want to CHARGE. Anyone hear this?

scrappinstevie
04-29-2008, 05:58 PM
I don't know for sure....but many businesses are no longer accepting checks. Do you have the option of getting a debit card for your checking account? Our bank offers a free card-no fees for ATM withdrawls or anything and works just like a credit card but is not a charge card.

Another option would be a prepaid Visa card....but you must check out the fees for that-they may have finance charges if you use it for multiple transactions. Travellers checks are yet another option.

I do not go on vacation anymore without some sort of credit card....leave my checkbook at home.

mkycrzy1971
04-29-2008, 06:02 PM
I am not sure either, but you can simply call the front desk of the resort you are staying (prior to arrival) and ask them...they will let you know how to plan for the situation...have fun!

shoes99
04-29-2008, 06:47 PM
We got stuck at the Coronado Springs when there was a snowstorm in the Northeast. We had to stay two extra nights. I asked the CM to cash a check for $200... She takes my check and gives me a receipt for payment on my room charges. I wanted the cash. She said no, I had to use the ATM.... Fortunately I carry an ATM card attached to my checking for emergencies. I used the ATM to withdraw the $200 I needed to cover additional expenses.
I would think the policy is still the same. You can pay against your room charges, but not cash a check for cash.

EnnEss
04-29-2008, 08:24 PM
You could bring Traveller cheques as those are basically cashed with any purchase.

SnowWitch
04-29-2008, 08:28 PM
They allow it at the concirge desk but there is a $50 limit. We had in the past wrote a check for our AP's but they no longer allow you to do that. My debit has a $1000 per day limit unless you call. I did not call because I had always used a check for that purchase so this trip I had to use all my cash for the AP's.

disnut8
04-30-2008, 10:50 AM
One of the reasons for the check cashing thing is because the desk clerk doesn't really know who is the legal signer of that check. And yes, we've been burned by that (our bank made it right though but months later). Anyone can take any check and make it out to Cash and sign the name that is on the top of the check. And then they get the cash and you don't notice it until you reconcile your account. The BANK is the only place that has your legal signature on file. And who can legally sign that check. Disney doesn't know.

We had two check stolen from our checkbook (which is why we never carry it on trips anymore). It was clever. Not the top two checks which we would have noticed right away. One several checks down and one from even further back. Both were made out for Cash and both actually cashed. My husband (the primary account holder) had to go and physically file a police report. Fortunately, this happened "only" an hour away from home.

Just an explanation of why this kind of thing might not be allowed anymore.

shellybaxter
04-30-2008, 10:54 AM
One of the reasons for the check cashing thing is because the desk clerk doesn't really know who is the legal signer of that check. And yes, we've been burned by that (our bank made it right though but months later). Anyone can take any check and make it out to Cash and sign the name that is on the top of the check. And then they get the cash and you don't notice it until you reconcile your account. The BANK is the only place that has your legal signature on file. And who can legally sign that check. Disney doesn't know.

We had two check stolen from our checkbook (which is why we never carry it on trips anymore). It was clever. Not the top two checks which we would have noticed right away. One several checks down and one from even further back. Both were made out for Cash and both actually cashed. My husband (the primary account holder) had to go and physically file a police report. Fortunately, this happened "only" an hour away from home.

Just an explanation of why this kind of thing might not be allowed anymore.

Wouldn't the person accepting the check just need to look at an ID to prove that the check casher was the person on the account?

I'm sorry that you had your checks stolen. That stinks

mkycrzy1971
04-30-2008, 12:30 PM
Wouldn't the person accepting the check just need to look at an ID to prove that the check casher was the person on the account?

That should be sufficient...a picture ID. I understand check deception is getting worse, but a person should be able to write a check...it is a shame what the criminals have done to our society! Again, as others have said...you should be able to write a check that will apply toward your room and charges but may not be able to write a check for cash (except in extreme conditions such as a hurricane, etc.) due to ATM machines being so readily available.

IMGONNABE40!
04-30-2008, 12:46 PM
A long time ago my husband and I figured out that we save a lot of money by NOT using ATMs. No debit cards either. So, going to a cash machine is not an option.

We do have $$ set aside for our vacations. We prepay what we can, then leave $$ in an account to pay for anything we charged while on vacation. This way, I don't worry about charging on vacation. I keep track of my receipts to see that I don't spend more than I have set aside for the vacation. I use a separate credit card when I travel, so I know that when that statement comes, I use the money set aside in my "vacation" account. I have a friend who goes so far as to send $$ to her credit card just before her trip and "charges against" that credit. She also keeps close account of her spending while on vacation.

I guess in the OP's situation, you could charge the amounts, then while on vacation send a check to your credit card company to cover the amounts.

Momto2PrncChrmgs
04-30-2008, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE=IMGONNABE40!;24828851]A long time ago my husband and I figured out that we save a lot of money by NOT using ATMs. No debit cards either. So, going to a cash machine is not an option.

We do have $$ set aside for our vacations. We prepay what we can, then leave $$ in an account to pay for anything we charged while on vacation. This way, I don't worry about charging on vacation. I keep track of my receipts to see that I don't spend more than I have set aside for the vacation. I use a separate credit card when I travel, so I know that when that statement comes, I use the money set aside in my "vacation" account. I have a friend who goes so far as to send $$ to her credit card just before her trip and "charges against" that credit. She also keeps close account of her spending while on vacation.

I guess in the OP's situation, you could charge the amounts, then while on vacation send a check to your credit card company to cover the amounts.[/QU

I guess we'll just have to charge if we go over what cash we have on had. I was just hoping to avoid it, because although I have EVERY intention of paying it in full when I get home, it's very easy to make that small minimum payment...Last year they let us pay at the hotel desk toward our room charges but we couldn't use a check at the hotel gift shop. We are VERY bad with ATM/Debit cards and don't have them anymore, my DH and I are just too irresponsible, so we take out the designated amount every two weeks and the rest is bill money. Not the most adult way to manage your money, but it works for us!! Thanks for all the info. THREE MORE DAYS...I better start packing!:cheer2: :yay: :cool1: :banana: :laughing: :dance3:

EnnEss
04-30-2008, 09:14 PM
A long time ago my husband and I figured out that we save a lot of money by NOT using ATMs. No debit cards either. So, going to a cash machine is not an option.

Can't you get a bank that doesn't charge for ATMs? I get 100 free ATM transactions each month. Its cheaper than my chequing account was.

IMGONNABE40!
04-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Can't you get a bank that doesn't charge for ATMs? I get 100 free ATM transactions each month. Its cheaper than my chequing account was.

Believe it or not, that is not the issue. Although we would really hate paying fees!

My DH has the philosophy that with an ATM you take the max amount everytime you go to the ATM--for us that was $400. For me I figured if I needed $20, I could easily grab $20 from the ATM. Now, we direct deposit my husband's check, and most of mine as well. I get a small check that I cash and my DH and I get an allowance from that. That has to last 2 weeks, as we prefer NOT to have an ATM to fall back on. That is how we have been saving a ton of $$. Oh, and we do have free checking.

mkycrzy1971
04-30-2008, 09:41 PM

Most ATMs charge when you withdrawal if it not one of your own bank's ATMs...you are sometimes charged twice...$1-2 by your bank and $2-3 by the bank that owns the ATM...it can get quite expensive when you are hit only by the bank that owns ATM, let alone by your own bank in addition. And if you live in a small town (as I do) most banks do not waive these charges when you use a "foreign" ATM.

TheRustyScupper
05-01-2008, 07:32 AM
1) Checks can used to pay for resort room fees and room chrages.
2) Checks can be cashed for up to $50 per day for resort guests.

TDS'93
05-01-2008, 08:24 AM
In the past we have used a credit card for room charges and express check out. The night before we check out, I get a list of all charges and pay with a check. Anything we charge to the room going forward from that point goes on the credit card, which is minimal and we still get express check out.

disnut8
05-01-2008, 03:52 PM

They are supposed to. Just like restaurants are supposed to card anyone who looks under the age of 30. I'm not bitter. We got it solved but it was a hassle.

It's just that making a check out to "Cash" sends off bells and whistles all over the place these days.

Atchley
05-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Most ATMs charge when you withdrawal if it not one of your own bank's ATMs...you are sometimes charged twice...$1-2 by your bank and $2-3 by the bank that owns the ATM...it can get quite expensive when you are hit only by the bank that owns ATM, let alone by your own bank in addition. And if you live in a small town (as I do) most banks do not waive these charges when you use a "foreign" ATM.

When I read you were from a small town that doesn't waive the fees... I thought to myself... They have got to live in Indiana. I looked and of course you do! Too funny.:rotfl:

Momto2PrncChrmgs
05-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Believe it or not, that is not the issue. Although we would really hate paying fees!

My DH has the philosophy that with an ATM you take the max amount everytime you go to the ATM--for us that was $400. For me I figured if I needed $20, I could easily grab $20 from the ATM. Now, we direct deposit my husband's check, and most of mine as well. I get a small check that I cash and my DH and I get an allowance from that. That has to last 2 weeks, as we prefer NOT to have an ATM to fall back on. That is how we have been saving a ton of $$. Oh, and we do have free checking.

Right!! It both of us ATM'ing and debiting and not writing things down and not knowing at all times what going in and out! We just can't handle it!!!

And thank you to TheRustyScupper-that was exactly the info I'm looking for!!

WE LEAVE IN LESS THAN 2 DAYS!!!!

Jakesmom1
05-01-2008, 06:49 PM
While we are on the topic of bank atm fees, does anyone know what bank the atms at wdw are ? It used to be Suntrust but Im not sure if it changed.

Thanks