PDA

View Full Version : Bob: Does anyone know what happened?

mefordis
04-29-2008, 03:33 PM
I am so sad to hear of the Bob passing! I will have a hard time listening to the podcasts once they start up again.

Does anyone know what happened to him? He was so young (56). It is so shocking and scary, too.

DLBDS
04-29-2008, 03:42 PM
He suspected he was suffering from food poisoning. But later in the day, his wife Diana found him in their home when she came home from work. Pete says it's believed he had passed away a few hours before he was found. I believe this is all that's known at this point. Not sure if they'll ever announce the official cause of death.

mefordis
04-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Thank you for the reply. I wonder if it was a heart attack? He was so young!

froggy5657
04-29-2008, 04:28 PM
It is really sad, I really hope he is having a good time up in heaven
:sad1: :sad1: :sad1:

bawstngrl
04-29-2008, 07:30 PM
I am so sad to hear of the Bob passing! I will have a hard time listening to the podcasts once they start up again.

Does anyone know what happened to him? He was so young (56). It is so shocking and scary, too.

even we do not know yet...it was sudden and a stotal hock. He never was sick other than a cold once in a while.

God has plans for him I guess

Bawstngrl/Marianna

peacelovemickey
04-29-2008, 08:34 PM
I pray that it was peaceful for Bob though......

TXYankee
04-29-2008, 08:41 PM
even we do not know yet...it was sudden and a stotal hock. He never was sick other than a cold once in a while.

Bawstngrl/Marianna

I believe that heaven needed one more Angel.

Marianna,

May the memories of Bawb comfort you yoday and in the days to come.

mommyceratops
04-30-2008, 11:30 AM
I pray that it was peaceful for Bob though......

I decided he was going to lay down for a little nap....fell asleep thinking of how lucky he was and how happy he is. Sounds like he talked to his friends that day, he said he was starting to feel better.

He was planning getting ready to do to the pod cast and tell us more about the Simpson ride and plotting what he would do to drive Pete crazy. I am sure thinking of some props to take.

Then he took his nap he loved so much.

BRobson
04-30-2008, 11:33 AM
I decided he was going to lay down for a little nap....fell asleep thinking of how lucky he was and how happy he is. Sounds like he talked to his friends that day, he said he was starting to feel better.

He was planning getting ready to do to the pod cast and tell us more about the Simpson ride and plotting what he would do to drive Pete crazy. I am sure thinking of some props to take.

:hug: you have started me off again :sad2:

calypso*a*go-go
04-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Me too...:sad1:

willis37862
04-30-2008, 01:53 PM

That's a nice way to think about it.

Pinky166
04-30-2008, 02:11 PM
:hug: you have started me off again :sad2:

Me too Jackie...:hug:

dizneedoll
04-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Well said Mommyceratops, I hope that is exactly how it was.

rlduvall
04-30-2008, 06:39 PM

Bawstngrl/Marianna

But I don't want God to have plans for him . . . I want Bob here with us. :)

rlduvall
04-30-2008, 06:40 PM

:sad1:

Kaler131
04-30-2008, 06:42 PM
But I don't want God to have plans for him . . . I want Bob here with us. :)

I agree!:hug:

KittyKitty
04-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Did anyone else notice the timing? It happened after Pete and Walter were back from their westcoast trip.

3DisneyKids
04-30-2008, 07:27 PM
Did anyone else notice the timing? It happened after Pete and Walter were back from their westcoast trip.

Meaning?

DaParkers
04-30-2008, 07:58 PM

:confused3 And?

wishspirit
04-30-2008, 08:09 PM

It was also before he could finish his simpsons blog, so i doubt it had much to do with it.

sconnell
04-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Well, I did think that it would have sucked for Pete to get the news from CA. Glad he got home first...

DisDarling
04-30-2008, 09:42 PM
Well, I did think that it would have sucked for Pete to get the news from CA. Glad he got home first...

I agree. I am glad they were home.

dpuck1998
04-30-2008, 09:49 PM
I think Kitty just meant that it was nice they didn't have to hear about it from thousands of miles away. Not that there is a good time, but being across the country sure would stink.

KittyKitty
04-30-2008, 10:45 PM
You're right. There is never a good time, but at least Pete was around to see Bob before it happened.

paperdoll1986
05-01-2008, 12:39 AM

He waited.....I might start sobbing again...

My great-grandfather had a heart attack in 1991. When he was taken to the hospital, many of his children were with him. My aunt Bobbie told him, "Dad, if you think you should go, go." He died a few miuntes later.

You often hear stories like that, people "waiting" for someone or something. Charles Schulz (creator of the Peanuts) died the morning his last comic strip was printed.

Candid
05-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Gawd, I'm crying all over again...

I had to tell my DS11 today about Bawb's passing...I don't know who was crying harder by the time I was done, me or him. I ended up asking him if he remembered his Grandmother telling him that when people went to Heaven they got to spend every day doing what they loved best...I told him that now Bawb was racing around Heaven with a gold plated KahtKam and was telling Walt Disney all about what the parks are like today...That seemed to help a bit as he had been sobbing his heart out...you see, Bawb was his absolute favourite...he was the only one DS knew by name (the others were "the husband and wife", "the boss", and "the food guys"...actually he nicknamed Kevin Mr. Picky)

TSWJan78
05-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Bawb was his absolute favourite...he was the only one DS knew by name (the others were "the husband and wife", "the boss", and "the food guys"...actually he nicknamed Kevin Mr. Picky)

Thanks for that little giggle... I needed it!!

DVCsince02
05-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Bawb was his absolute favourite...he was the only one DS knew by name (the others were "the husband and wife", "the boss", and "the food guys"...actually he nicknamed Kevin Mr. Picky)

LOL!!!!!:lmao:

I needed that.:goodvibes

mefordis
05-01-2008, 10:23 AM
He waited.....I might start sobbing again...

My great-grandfather had a heart attack in 1991. When he was taken to the hospital, many of his children were with him. My aunt Bobbie told him, "Dad, if you think you should go, go." He died a few miuntes later.

You often hear stories like that, people "waiting" for someone or something. Charles Schulz (creator of the Peanuts) died the morning his last comic strip was printed.

So this was a heart attack that caused his death?

ms*mountaineer
05-01-2008, 11:03 AM

:rotfl2:

that is priceless!

:rotfl2:

Cool-Beans
05-01-2008, 12:20 PM
So this was a heart attack that caused his death?They haven't said. From the info we have, it sounds like it. But I think that we should just wait for the information, should they choose to share that with us.

IMO, it doesn't matter how people die. The loss is the same. :(

paperdoll1986
05-01-2008, 12:40 PM
So this was a heart attack that caused his death?

No, I was just making an example.

IHeartTink04
05-02-2008, 12:03 PM
I have been wondering the answer to this question as well. But I understand if they don't want to release the information and they may not even know.

mefordis
05-02-2008, 01:00 PM
I have been wondering the answer to this question as well. But I understand if they don't want to release the information and they may not even know.

I feel like it's part of the healing process - knowing what caused the death. I don't like to speculate but it sounds like a heart attack. We've had those in my family and usually begins with an overall feeling of malaise and feeling sick, out of the blue.

DisneyKevin
05-02-2008, 01:07 PM
We are not being intentionally vague or withholding information.

The truth is that we just dont have the information as of yet.

We have shared the details as we know them.

Bob called us early Monday morning to let us know that he didnt think he would make the podcast as he felt he had food poisoning.

Diana had come home from work earl in the day to bring him Gatorade.

I spoke with him at 10:07 (according to my cell phone record) to check on him. He said he was feeling better and that he had had some Gatorade and toast.

I tried calling again at 12:00 but there was no answer. We assumed he was napping.

We got a call at 5:15 with a very garbled version of the bad news and called Diana to see what was going on. We found out that it was terribly true.

These are the details as we know them.

When new information is available, and Diana and Brian feel comfortable with us sharing that information, we will certainly let you know.

Other than the above facts, anything else is speculation and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that at this point.

Thanks,
Kevin

timmac
05-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Kevin,

Let me be the first to thank you for posting back. I can't imagine anyone expects you are intentionally withholding information, I think everyone is just very interested to know what happened after such a shock. I'm sure you and the others are in that same boat.

Prayers and best wishes for this weekend's events.

DisDarling
05-02-2008, 01:42 PM

Bob called us early Monday morning to let us know that he didnt think he would make the podcast as he felt he had food poisoning.

I spoke with him at 10:07 (according to my cell phone record) to check on him. He said he was feeling better and that he had had some Gatorade and toast.

I tried calling again at 12:00 but there was no answer. We assumed he was napping.

We got a call at 5:15 with a very garbled version of the bad news and called Diana to see what was going on. We found out that it was terribly true.

When new information is available, and Diana and Brian feel comfortable with us sharing that information, we will certainly let you know.

Other than the above facts, anything else is speculation and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that at this point.

Thanks,
Kevin

Thank you for checking in Kevin, I hope you are coping ok.
God speed to healing your heart.

Amy

IHeartTink04
05-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks for answering Kevin.

I hope you are doing well.:hug:

mefordis
05-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Yes, thank you for answering, Kevin. I hope you and everyone close to Bob are finding comfort somehow.

Cruz Family
05-02-2008, 03:06 PM

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin, Please don't feel like you owe us any explanation. We have been here because we care about you all, that is what friends do.
Take care, Melissa

mommyceratops
05-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Kevin, Please don't feel like you owe us any explanation. We have been here because we care about you all, that is what friends do.
Take care, Melissa

Meilissa said and I am agreeing....we don't need an explination.

Thank you to everyone for sharing with us what you have.

BRobson
05-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Meilissa said and I am agreeing....we don't need an explination.

Thank you to everyone for sharing with us what you have.

Indeed - we are very lucky that we are being included as friends , so thankyou for that

DisneyKevin
05-02-2008, 03:41 PM
The feeling of friendship and love is evident.....and greatly appreciated.

We are all looking for answers...or at the very least...a reason.

I believe that understanding what happened to Bob will allow us all to process the information and move ahead.

We have always chosen to be upfront and honest and I believe Bob would want us to continue.

My reason for posting was to let you all know that we currently dont know anymore than we have already shared.

I didnt want you to think that we had "closed the loop" for any reason.

Thanks again,
Kevin

DVCsince02
05-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Thank you for continuing to share with us.

I don't think anything is wrong with trying to understand death by giving it a cause, nor do I feel we are owed an explanation. Everyone processes death in different ways (some ask questions, some don't) and we should try to be as understanding as possible as to everyones differences.

Again, I am thankful the team has shared as much as they have, and am glad they are aware of how concerned we are for them and Bawb's family.

*NikkiBell*
05-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks Kevin. I hope you all are doing better today. Hugs.

Alicnwondrln
05-02-2008, 06:34 PM
thanks for giving an update Kevin. I hope you and Bawbs family are doing ok. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

dpuck1998
05-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks Kev (can I call you Kev? ;) ) We appreciate the info. I know what you mean, we (humans) need to create reason in our mind in order to justify such a terrible event. I don't know if its part of the healing process of what, but sometimes things just happen and its hard to accept. We miss you guys and look forward to your return. Take all the time you need we will be waiting when you get back.

Thanks!

Brian in Austin
05-04-2008, 10:37 AM
To the DIS Unplugged Podcast Crew and friends:

As a relatively new listener, I've really enjoyed listening to the podcasts and also thoroughly enjoyed the segments with "Bawb". While I'm new to this particular Disney family, I am a current part-time CM with a Disney Store and a lifelong Disney World visitor and fan. When I came to the site this morning hoping to see a new podcast to download, I was shocked to see the memorial on the homepage. In short, it hit me like a ton of bricks. Even though I've never met any member of the crew I felt like I somehow knew Bawb thru our common love for Disney. His sense of humor, his delivery and timing and yes, his accent were all great personality traits that made him stand out on the show. I could always sense his passion for Disney with how he spoke on some of the different topics and issues he covered. Finally being able to put a face to the name made it easier and it made it more difficult given the circumstances.

What I mean is that (and I'm sure I'm not alone in this) I've never dealt very well with loss. My personal choice over the years has been to shut myself off from that loss and internalize it. Not sure that's the best way, but it's made life easier for me in difficult times. But at the same time, you never really get over those losses. I'm always reflective when it comes to loved ones I've lost over the years and always wonder what if...

But I too believe that GOD has a plan and had one for Bawb. It was his time and though it's so difficult to understand and to even somehow cope with, life must go on. I didn't know Bob personally but would like to think that he would want all of us to continue to enjoy life to its fullest, given the times I was privileged to hear him on the shows.

My heartfelt condolances go out to the podcast crew, family members, and friends of Mr. Varley. Though this is the most difficult of times for all involved, I know you all will summon the strength to move on in his spirit. GOD has a plan for all of us and I think and hope that Mr. Varley's spirit will live on in his family members and friends. I'm sure he touched many, many lives not only thru the podcasts, but those with whom he came into contact with.

May that spirit be with you all always.

Brian in Austin

lisajl
05-04-2008, 12:15 PM
I did not know "Bawb" either. I have listened to and enjoyed the podcasts, though.
I wish his family the best. That includes the podcast family.

BTW, Bawb, if you can see this, tell Walt hello from all of us

Cplofdisneynutz
05-04-2008, 12:48 PM
this is so sad to hear. Our hearts go out to all his friends and family. I'm sure he has found Walt and thanked him for providing such joy to his life and ours as well. We will miss him on the podcast. God bless!

luna99
05-05-2008, 09:12 AM
when my best friend passed away three summers ago it was very sudden and unexpected. She was 29 and was hit by a car while riding on a vespa type scooter. From what I understand she was killed instantly... I was living about 3 hours away from her and got the news over the phone late one evening. It was surreal to say the least and I just couldn't get my head around it.. I kept thinking it was a joke.

As the reality of the situation sank in, I found myself wanting to know every detail I could about what happened... but was afraid to ask for fear of upsetting anyone. I wanted to know how it happened, when it happened, who the person was who hit her, etc..etc. I don't know if I'm in the minority here but I guess knowing all of these things would somehow make me feel a little less helpless and a little more able to deal with it. I still to this day do not have all the answers and I know that even if I did, it wouldn't make it any easier.

Of course I think the podcast crew should only share with us what they see fit... but I do realize that there are probably people who, like me with my friend, are full of questions that feel like they need answered. No matter what gets revealed or not... I just hope everyone who misses bob out there can find ways to get through this confusing and hard time. :grouphug:

IWISHFORDISNEY
05-05-2008, 09:47 AM
As the reality of the situation sank in, I found myself wanting to know every detail I could about what happened... but was afraid to ask for fear of upsetting anyone. I wanted to know how it happened, when it happened, who the person was who hit her, etc..etc. I don't know if I'm in the minority here but I guess knowing all of these things would somehow make me feel a little less helpless and a little more able to deal with it.

After being a nurse for 20 years this is a completely normal question people ask. It is part of closure and the healing process. Unfortunately we dont always have the answear to the question. So no you are not in the minority but are in the majority. :hug: about your best friend.

safetymom
05-05-2008, 10:32 AM
After my husband died I needed details. I talked with the Dr. when we were considering a lawsuit. In the end it didn't make any difference because he was still gone.

IHeartTink04
05-05-2008, 01:16 PM
I am one who likes to know the details as well. I don't know why it just makes me feel better. It helps to get over the shock and "why" question.

rlduvall
05-05-2008, 02:11 PM
I am one who likes to know the details as well. I don't know why it just makes me feel better. It helps to get over the shock and "why" question.

I am the same way . . . but some people on the Boards thought it was none of our business and we shouldn't even ask. I thought I must be really weird for wanting to know. So glad to hear I'm not the only one. I sure miss that guy!!!

DVC Kathy
05-05-2008, 02:38 PM
I am the same way . . . but some people on the Boards thought it was none of our business and we shouldn't even ask. I thought I must be really weird for wanting to know. So glad to hear I'm not the only one. I sure miss that guy!!!

I don't think anyone meant to seem that harsh. I think the point might have been that Diana and the rest of the Varley family are entitled to their privacy, and are under no obligation to share every detail of their lives with the DIS Board, no matter how much like family we feel.

I know I keep wondering what happened myself. I think that sort of questioning goes right along with the denial.

Let's everybody be kind to one another. :grouphug:

Kathy

safetymom
05-05-2008, 02:42 PM
I agree with DVC Kathy. As upset as everyone is imagine how the family must be feeling. Diana lost her husband, the kids lost their father.

If they decide to share that is wonderful, if they decide to keep it to themseleves I hope everyone understands.

WaltD4Me
05-05-2008, 03:00 PM
I agree with DVC Kathy. As upset as everyone is imagine how the family must be feeling. Diana lost her husband, the kids lost their father.

If they decide to share that is wonderful, if they decide to keep it to themseleves I hope everyone understands.

Excellent point, as upset as we all are, it isn't anything to the loss Diana and her children are dealing with. They need to do what is right for them and what they feel comfortable with period.