PDA

View Full Version : How much do they hold on my CC at check-in

DisneyCowgirl
04-29-2008, 02:44 PM
I want to use the credit card I have that gets reward points, but my limit on that card is not much more than what the room charge itself is going to be. How much extra per night do they put a hold on? We are staying at the WL if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

NJRRK
04-29-2008, 02:50 PM
It was $.01 when we were at the Contemporary in August.

DisneyCowgirl
04-29-2008, 02:52 PM
1 cent!! I thought it was more like the entire room charge plus some amount per night to cover what they expect you to charge to your room. My limit is more than one cent!

safetymom
04-29-2008, 03:14 PM
You pay for your stay when you check in. Then as long as they know the card is good they won't really hold anything. So yes you could go over your limit on your card.

Ali
04-29-2008, 05:05 PM
From what I have been able to tell they won't charge your card until you hit the magic number, whatever the limit is for the hotel. Values was $500, Mods was $1000, AKL was $1500 limit before charging, I believe.

jeni16
04-29-2008, 05:20 PM
When we stayed at the AKL last week, they charged our entire stay upon check-in.

cfknight
04-29-2008, 06:24 PM
From what I have been able to tell they won't charge your card until you hit the magic number, whatever the limit is for the hotel. Values was $500, Mods was $1000, AKL was $1500 limit before charging, I believe.

well said! We stayed at the BC last year and it was $1500:thumbsup2

Cool-Beans
04-29-2008, 07:03 PM
From what I have been able to tell they won't charge your card until you hit the magic number, whatever the limit is for the hotel. Values was $500, Mods was $1000, AKL was $1500 limit before charging, I believe.That's what it has been for me, too.

Ali, call your credit card's processing company or ask your local bank manager if it is a debit card. Ask them about authorizations and hotels. They'll explain how it all works.

A lot of people believe that authorizations aren't done, but they are. That's why Disney sets the limits. You don't really think they're going to let you charge up $1500 worth of crap based on the fact that they trust you, do they? They aren't THAT magical. :)

And they won't give you a room key until all the room and tax has been paid in full.

GrumpyNee
04-29-2008, 08:03 PM
I have paid for my room in advance.
I thought the credit card at check-in was optional. If you don't leave a credit card, they just block you from charging to the room. Is this wrong?:confused3

mickeymom1976
04-29-2008, 08:25 PM
I have paid for my room in advance.
I thought the credit card at check-in was optional. If you don't leave a credit card, they just block you from charging to the room. Is this wrong?:confused3

I thought the room had to be paid in advance. Otherwise, why do I have $2000 due on the 9th of May? isn't the credit card at check-in just for things like phone calls and stuff?:confused3

EnnEss
04-29-2008, 09:20 PM
I thought the room had to be paid in advance. Otherwise, why do I have $2000 due on the 9th of May? isn't the credit card at check-in just for things like phone calls and stuff?:confused3

You pay in advance for packages, not room only.

The credit card is optional no matter what you did, room only or package, you could just pay another way for room only if you wanted. If you don't link a credit card you can't charge to your room, no biggy. They ask when you check in.

Cool-Beans
04-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Packages have a deadline by which they must be paid in full.

Room-only requires a deposit of one night's room and tax. The rest may be paid for at check-in.

Disney doesn't allow anyone to pay for their stay when checking out. Everyone must pay before they are given a room key. It's good business.

Disney0010
04-29-2008, 09:30 PM
The last time I was there we stayed at the CR and upon check-in the CM told me gave me a limit of $1500.00 per day to charge back. No way that they would allow this without first getting some type of authorization first from the cc company.

DizOz
04-29-2008, 09:55 PM
In December they charged our room and then allowed up to $1500 in additional charges before they rang and advised us they were charging the card and the $1500 limit started again.

CleveRocks
04-29-2008, 09:56 PM
A lot of people believe that authorizations aren't done, but they are. That's why Disney sets the limits. You don't really think they're going to let you charge up $1500 worth of crap based on the fact that they trust you, do they? They aren't THAT magical. :)

The last time I was there we stayed at the CR and upon check-in the CM told me gave me a limit of $1500.00 per day to charge back. No way that they would allow this without first getting some type of authorization first from the cc company.You guys are going on "common sense" and opinion. You are both incorrect when it comes to WDW owned-and-operated resorts. FACT.

If you set up a room charge with plastic (credit or debit), they absolutely DO NOT check your available credit (credit card) or account balance (debit card). They place NO HOLD on your credit/debit account, and they do not pre-charge the amount.

They DO swipe your card, but they run a charge of zero dollars and zero cents. If it is approved, it means it's a valid card on a valid account. This is all they check.

They have CMs at each resort who's job it is to chase down the people on their last day whose room charge charge was rejected by the credit card issuer or bank.

Like I said, in the quotes above, you guys are only going on common sense or on your experience with other hoteliers. What I am reporting is actual Disney fact, not my opinion. If you think I'm wrong, please feel free to call the front desk of your favorite resort (if you can get past the call screeners at the central call center) and check out the facts for yourself.

Disney runs its little shop very differently from other hotels. For example, it's one of the only hoteliers in the country that doesn't require a credit card, debit card or cash deposit upon check-in to cover "incidentals" or phone calls or the like.

gamomof2
04-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Contemporary June 2007. We checked in and they ran our card then went over the thing about $1500 being available so far for room charges. We went upstairs and logged onto our card and there was a $50 hold on our card from Disney. We stayed there 4 days but on the 3rd day the $50 hold dropped off because that is our banks policy. No supporting receipt had been submitted. On our checkout they ran the card for the amount of the room plus our charges. I logged on to our account at the Panera Bread at Millenia Mall and the charge was there (also still in a hold pattern but it did go completely through 2 days later).

Blessedx3
04-29-2008, 10:43 PM
I don't think they hold any money. I think as a previous posted stated they check to make sure it is valid. It is linked to you key to the world so when that it swiped and used for a purchase I think the card is ran. We were given a credit limit of $1500 at the poly but never hit the limit. But they didn't hold any money.

CleveRocks
04-29-2008, 11:16 PM
Contemporary June 2007. We checked in and they ran our card then went over the thing about $1500 being available so far for room charges. We went upstairs and logged onto our card and there was a $50 hold on our card from Disney. We stayed there 4 days but on the 3rd day the $50 hold dropped off because that is our banks policy. No supporting receipt had been submitted. On our checkout they ran the card for the amount of the room plus our charges. I logged on to our account at the Panera Bread at Millenia Mall and the charge was there (also still in a hold pattern but it did go completely through 2 days later).Something's just not quite accurate here. The reason I say this is you clearly state that when you checked out your card was charged for the cost of your room plus other charges. This is impossible. Your room is paid for, by you, no later than the moment of check-in. If you booked a package, you had to pay in-full by no later than 45 days before check-in. If you booked room-only, you had to pay for the room in-full up-front, at the time of check-in. Disney doesn't let people check-in without paying for the entire hotel stay in advance.

So if your room cost $400 per night, and you stayed 4 nights, are you saying upon check-in that you had to pay $1600 plus some other stuff??? That totally goes against Disney's standard operating procedure.