PDA

View Full Version : 1 week all by yourself at WDW

MinnieSummer
04-29-2008, 01:45 PM
I will be staying at WDW for one week in June while my DD attends camp in Orlando. It will be me and, oh yeah, just me:cool1:

So, what should I do? I'm not the spa type so that's out. I am thinking about parasailing or something along those lines but I want to do the things that are off the beaten path so to speak. the things that I would never get to do with DD and DH and DM along.

Any suggestions? What would you do?

pepe of ohio
04-29-2008, 01:54 PM
That's an easy question for me, I would take a cooler down to the pool, a good novel and my Gameboy DS and just enjoy the Florida sunshine. We've done the parks, 40 times to WDW, and the last bunch have been just the wife and I, children married and gone, and the vacations are now different. There's no tugging of daddy's sleeve to go here, do that, I want...............it great but we miss the children not being children. We now have AP's and popping into a park for a snack for a few minutes is no problem and we're finding that spending time at our resort, mainly WL, makes for a relaxing vacation. We take the boat over to FW, and just amble around, horse barn, camping area, it's great being away from the crowds and just drink in the beauty of WDW.

siouxi31
04-29-2008, 02:00 PM
I did a trip by myself two years ago and hung out at the pool often while reading a book. I had a fabulous time just taking my time walking through the parks.

I also met more people than I typically would have if travelling with family.

NewCrew42
04-29-2008, 02:05 PM
I would go to animal kingdom and ride EE single rider.

A lot!

:cutie:

shoes99
04-29-2008, 02:08 PM
Take advantage of the single rider lines, book a behind the scenes tour. If you have a Disney Visa, go to the meet & greet in Innoventions and get your picture taken solo with the characters. One 5x7 free per day if you have a Disney Visa Card.

Nank
04-29-2008, 02:09 PM
I would go on the segway tour of Epcot. (If they still do it).

Enjoy!

Traveliz
04-29-2008, 02:16 PM
I was there for some time alone last summer and loved it.

I did something new or something we hadn't done in a long while at each of the parks.

I visited the hotels and basically enjoyed their lobbies and shops with the atmosphere.

I went to the outlet malls and got a good start on Christmas shopping.

Went to Celebration and pretended it was my town for an afternoon.

I really enjoy the opportunity to visit by myself on occasion.

Liz

tink20
04-29-2008, 02:22 PM
I would stroll around and go in all the shops,(can't do this with kids, they are always looking at what they want, Ha! Ha!) sit on a bench in the shade and enjoy a cool drink, oh and I would take a nap in one of the hammmocks at the resorts. I would spend more time in Epcot, my family rushed me in WS, I didn't get to watch any of the movies, so I would do that too!

MickeyisanNDfan
04-29-2008, 02:25 PM
For dinner I highly recommend the bar at the California Grill! I have eaten there a number of times by myself and it is great!

Wildflowerz
04-29-2008, 02:36 PM
I'd ride every single ride, go in every single shop. Or I'd try. :cool1:

DreaGirl
04-29-2008, 02:44 PM
I would stroll around and go in all the shops,(can't do this with kids, they are always looking at what they want, Ha! Ha!) sit on a bench in the shade and enjoy a cool drink, oh and I would take a nap in one of the hammmocks at the resorts. I would spend more time in Epcot, my family rushed me in WS, I didn't get to watch any of the movies, so I would do that too!

This is exactly what I would do! I would go to each park and just enjoy the shops and ride the rides (single rider). It would be relaxing and I'm sure you would find some hidden treasures along the way!

Circusgirl
04-29-2008, 02:58 PM
I have taken several backstage tours (Keys to the Kingdom at MK and Backstage Safari at AK) and thoroughly enjoyed both of them. The Aqua Seas tour (snorkeling in the big tank at The Seas and having a backstage tour of the facility) was also fabulous. AllEars.net in their "Beyond the Parks" section has reviews and descriptions of all the tours. Segway is next on my list, as is the Backstage Magic tour which covers several parks.

Another really special time is lunch or dinner with an Imagineer. Certain days of the week there is a small group lunch at the Brown Derby or dinner at Artist's Point, and an Imagineer dines with you and talks about what they do and answers questions. Our lunch was a group of 8 plus Imagineer. We were seated in a private room at the Brown Derby, and had incredible food, white glove fancy perfect service and received cool name tags and a commerative plate autographed by our Imagineer. Disney Dining can tell you when the events are and make reservations. They open the reservations 60 days in advance of the date.

Have big fun!

JennyDrake
04-29-2008, 05:43 PM
SLOW walks anywhere you want to go
Sit and people watch
Read by the poolside
Take at least one behind the scenes tours
Visit other resorts
Carriage ride
Dinner at Jiko
Adventurer's Club
Sleep in/get up early/stay up late--WHATEVER!
Single rider lines
Linger in every gift shop

MinnieSummer
04-30-2008, 10:00 AM
OK, I see this is something many of you want to do or have done. I've done it before but only for a quick one or two days so I'm really looking forward to this. I already plan on spending time at the pool with a few good books. I also want to liesurely take in WS at Epcot. I'll probably do some shopping and try to get a look at the DVC rooms at AKL where we will be staying this Christmas. Some of your ideas that I loved were dinner at the bar in California Grill and dinner with the Imagineers. Can someone give me more info on that last one? Also, if I'm dining at the bar in CG do I need to make reservations now or do they allow walk ins for that? I don't want this to be a planned out trip as I want to be able to relax but I'm afraid that if I don't make some dining ressies I won't be able to eat at any of the better restaurants. I was already excited for this trip but after reading all your ideas I'm, well, really excited (I'm sure there's a word to describe it but my brain is failing me right now).

DJ Disney Kid
04-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Im curious if anyone has gone alone and hated it?

Im getting to the point where family and friends think Im crazy for going to WDW so often that they either can't afford to go or don't want to go as much as I do. Has anyone been put into a situation like that where your "forced" to go it alone just so you can go? And how was your experience? I'd hate to get down there by myself and realize after a day or two that I was really lonely and then had 5 more days left to go. Just curious?!

Conan the Librarian
04-30-2008, 11:46 AM
I would be miserable. Half the fun of WDW is my other half! I can't imagine being at WDW without her.

Closest thing I have ever done to being at WDW by myself was that I drove through and bought gas at the Hess station by DTD. I was tempted to go over and get a Mickey Premium, but, I just headed home.