PDA

View Full Version : Information on Memorial Service for Bob as well as May 4th Live Audience Podcast

WebmasterJohn
04-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Hey Gang

I have info on the memorial service for Bob.

It will be on Saturday May 3rd at 3PM. Below is the address for the funeral home:

Becker Funeral Home
806 West Minneola Avenue
P.O. Box 120864
Clermont, Florida 34712
PH: (352) 394-7121
http://www.beckerfamilyfuneral.com

In lieu of flowers Diana is requesting donations be made to Hospice of the Comforter in Bob’s name. I told her that several folks here have already started donating to Give Kids the World in his name as well and that is fine if you wish to do that instead.

They are putting together a slideshow of pictures of Bob for the service. If you have any pictures of Bob that you would like included in the slideshow please email them to MaryAnna (a very good friend of Diana’s) at bawstngrl@yahoo.com and she will include them in the slideshow. I think Bob would like as many pictures of him with his PodCast family included – and I know Diana will take great comfort in this as well.

If you wish to send something to Diana directly instead of the Funeral Home you can send that to the podcast email address that Kevin posted earlier.

Now - as far as May 4th goes - obviously, we will not be recording the live show. That would just be too hard on everyone.

We have kept the room at Gaylord Palms and would like to invite every one who is still interested to be please join us. It will be more of a 'meet and greet' and a chance for us to tell Bob stories and remember a wonderful Man. Diana will be there and she is looking forward to every one who was planning on attending the live show to attend.

There will be food and non-alcoholic drinks. The timing is the same - if you want to show up any time after 12:30PM that would be fine. We have the room until 4PM.

We will be in the Orange Blossom Room. You will have to cross the lobby (it is on the same level as the entrance and there are signs everywhere) - we will have signs in the lobby to help you find it.

We hope to see as many faces there as possible.

Thanks
John

peacelovemickey
04-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks so much for the information. Blessings!

scarlett873
04-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Thank you for the information John...

I wish that I could be there on Sunday, but I won't be able to make it...raise a glass in Bawb's honor for me! And someone give Dianer and Brian and everyone else who needs them hugs from me.

mandymommy4
04-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Thank you John! I appreciate you posting the info for us.

We will keep you and the team in our thoughts as you go through the process of the services and saying farewell to your friend. :sad1:

SamIAm21
04-29-2008, 12:27 PM
I find it beyond magnanimous and wonderful that Diana would include Bob's fans in his services and the fact that she is willing to attend a May 4th memorial for Bob is a true testament to how much Bob and Diana care for the DIS Community.

Many prayers of peace and comfort to the Varley family and the Pod Cast crew from a big fan here in Chicago. :hug:

cocowum
04-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the information John. We will be there in spirit. :hug: You will all be in our prayers.:sad1:

disneycruise05
04-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Thank you for the information, John. I'll be there in spirit with y'all.

Please know that the enitre DIS family is here to support y'all through this difficult time.

3DisneyKids
04-29-2008, 12:33 PM
I won't be there, but will be thinking of Diana, Brian, and all of you over the entire week-end.

Annette_VA
04-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated, John.

NWOhioAngela
04-29-2008, 12:40 PM
The obit is now posted here: http://www.beckerfamilyfuneral.com/obituaryDetails.php?id=811&PHPSESSID=879bbedee93dab13bde72c109227dd3c

They called him Bawb!

Mouse Skywalker
04-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Thank you so much for the update John. We really appreciate you taking the time to post the information to us in this very difficult time.

Cyrano
04-29-2008, 12:52 PM
John, Diana and you all will be in out thoughts :grouphug: I'll be there in spirit.

lttlmc3
04-29-2008, 12:55 PM
I really wish I could be there. I would even be willing to make the road trip if I didn't have to be at work. I'm sad I will miss it. But know that I will be there in spirit.

LilGMom
04-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Thank you for the update and I really wish I could be there on the 4th to show and offer my support, for what it is worth.

wishspirit
04-29-2008, 01:01 PM
I so wish i could be there! Thank you for the update John, you are all in our thoughts.

crazydisneyman
04-29-2008, 01:09 PM
John,

I will be at the podcast memorial on Sunday, and I beleive that I can make it to the memorial service on Saturday.

Thanks for posting this information. See you soon.

Chris

SamSam
04-29-2008, 01:25 PM
John, My husband and I will be there Sunday to share in honoring Bob. Sharon

DVC Kathy
04-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Thank you John, for sharing that information with us.

As many others have said, DH and I will be with you in spirit this weekend. Take care of one another. :grouphug:

Just know we are all thinking of all of you. :sad1:

Kathy

calypso*a*go-go
04-29-2008, 01:54 PM
You don't know how badly I would like to attend both events...however, living on the westcoast creates a logistic problem. Honestly, if there's anyway I can find decent airfare -- I might just show up. If not, I'll be there in spirit (with soggy tissues, either way!). :(

BRobson
04-29-2008, 02:05 PM
You don't know how badly I would like to attend both events...however, living on the westcoast creates a logistic problem. Honestly, if there's anyway I can find decent airfare -- I might just show up. If not, I'll be there in spirit (with soggy tissues, either way!). :(

Ditto

If I could get across the pond I would :hug:

You will all be in my thoughts - take care of each other :grouphug:

Pinky166
04-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Thank you for the info John. I wish I could be there but will be thinking of you all on Saturday & Sunday.

Love and best wishes to you all from across the pond. :hug:

scarlett873
04-29-2008, 02:10 PM
I just checked airfare for the weekend and just can't do it. I also have finals next week...:(

I will be out and about this Sunday here in Indy though. I think I will order myself a mo-gee-toe in Bawb's honor when we go to lunch or dinner...

mommyceratops
04-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks John!

I just wish I could go....

Madi100
04-29-2008, 02:21 PM
I really wish I could be there. My DH even asked me if I wanted to fly down for the funeral, but it is on the day of his inventory at his store. I will be there in spirit as well.

paperdoll1986
04-29-2008, 02:21 PM
I just checked airfare for the weekend and just can't do it. I also have finals next week...:(

Same here. There is just no way, though my heart so wishes to be there for everyone and pay my respects to a wonderful human being.

Thank you so much John for the information. And thank you so much for taking the time from this very difficult situation for us.

WaltD4Me
04-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Thank you for sharing the information with us John. I am going to keep trying
to make it...I was trying to work it out to come down for the podcast when this happened, but it isn't looking good at the moment, if not, I will definitely be there in spirit.

WebmasterJohn
04-29-2008, 02:58 PM
I have made this thread a 'sticky' so everyone can see it.

Please note the room at Gaylord Palms has changed - it is not on the main level as the Atrium - Orange Blossom Ball Room. It will ve very easy to find.

John

maiziezoe
04-29-2008, 02:59 PM
My hubby works for the airlines... I am going to keep an eye on stand-by flights as I would like to be there on Sunday and Monday.

If I cannot make it, you will all be in my thoughts.

RJmurphy
04-29-2008, 03:21 PM
I only knew Bob through his voice. I will miss it dearly.

UrsulasShadow
04-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Thank you so much, John, for keeping us updated on the arrangements. I have been having a very hard time trying to put this all in perspective. I hardly know all of you, have only met Bob once, but still feel so very close to you all, and feel his loss sharply. To be included with all Bob's friends and family in the memorial and arrangements means more than you can ever know.

My thoughts are with all of you.

amyhughes
04-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Needless to say I will be raising an improvised Dole Whip in his name around the time of his memorial service on Saturday.

I am so sorry I cannot make it Sunday but my thoughts will be with you all and Parker, Thomas, Adam, and I will light a candle for Bob at church Sunday morning.:grouphug:

Disney Geek Dad
04-29-2008, 05:48 PM
I was greatly saddened to hear the news of Bob's untimely passing. He brought laughter and joy to the podcast's listeners and he will be sorely missed. I know he is smowhere over the Magic Kingdom smiling down to all those whose lives he touched and everyone else who is there to be a part of the magic that Bob loved so dearly.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Bob's wife Diana, his family, and friends.

hutchie
04-29-2008, 07:32 PM
My wife, my mother,and I will be at Disney this 19-29 of may to selebrate our 15 wedding aniversry. This trip is now for Bawb. Dole whips all around.

Bob is wise Bob is good.

My hart gos out to Dianner and the team.

Love,
Ed.

DebšošS
04-29-2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks so much John for posting at this time. I'll be there.

IWISHFORDISNEY
04-29-2008, 09:36 PM
We will be there in spirit. We will light a candle for him in our church that day. Take care of one another :grouphug:

tinkminimickey
04-29-2008, 11:48 PM
:sad: My god be all of you in this time of sorrow.Although I never had the honor and pleasure to meet Bawb I feel as if I knew him fom listening to the show for the last 2yrs.He made me laugh every week along with others world wide.Good bye Bawb we'll miss you.

mla973
04-30-2008, 06:46 AM
Another who will be there in spirit. Thanks for providing the info, John.

Rob&Jan
04-30-2008, 06:56 AM
John, Jan I will be there on Sunday.
Rob

jacstangler
04-30-2008, 08:07 AM
John: my wife Christy will be there are Sunday. She has been staying in
Vero but I am back in St. Louis. We love you all.

John

dmccarty
04-30-2008, 10:06 AM
John,

We have kept the room at Gaylord Palms and would like to invite every one who is still interested to be please join us. It will be more of a 'meet and greet' and a chance for us to tell Bob stories and remember a wonderful Man. Diana will be there and she is looking forward to every one who was planning on attending the live show to attend.

Is there anyway that this could be recorded and put up as a podcast?

I'm sure most of us want to be there for Bawb and the family but its not possible. Its one way for us to be there and given that we know Bawb from the Internet, its fitting.

Take Care.

bigmoonmullen
04-30-2008, 11:49 AM
This is extremely sad news. Bob... Rest in Peace.

Our family also wants to send our condolences to Diana and all of Bob’s family.

Sincerely,

The Mullen Family in WI & MO

djlexus
04-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanx for the info ill be there sunday!

GRUMPY0711
04-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks John for the info. Kelly and I will certainly be in attendance. Our love and prayers go out to Diana and family. The DIS family will rise to the occasion and help see the Varley and Podcast family through this tough time.

Jon

SimonV
04-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Susan and I are stuck up in Michigan right now, so there's no way we can get down for the weekend, which is totally frustrating for us at the moment. We seem to keep ending up in the wrong state at the wrong time this month :(

However, our thoughts will be with Diana and her family - and all our DIS friends - throughout the weekend and we sincerely hope this memorial occasion goes well for all concerned. It still seems unreal to contemplate the DIS and the Podcasts without Bob, or Wilderness as some people still remember him. He was a wonderful figure to have in our 'community' and hopefully the people he leaves behind will draw some comfort from the great affection we had for him. :grouphug:

UrsulasShadow
04-30-2008, 05:55 PM
John,

Is there anyway that this could be recorded and put up as a podcast?

I'm sure most of us want to be there for Bawb and the family but its not possible. Its one way for us to be there and given that we know Bawb from the Internet, its fitting.

Take Care.
We knew him from the internet, but Bob's friends and family knew him much more intimately. I think it might be a little inappropriate to post such a gathering on the internet. However, I do think it is a wonderful and generous thing to invite those who can from this internet community to gather with Bob's friends and family to honor him.

I understand your desire to be a part of it (and I so wish I could be there, too), but I think recording and posting it might be going a little too far.

Disneybridein2k3
04-30-2008, 06:08 PM
We knew him from the internet, but Bob's friends and family knew him much more intimately. I think it might be a little inappropriate to post such a gathering on the internet. However, I do think it is a wonderful and generous thing to invite those who can from this internet community to gather with Bob's friends and family to honor him.

I understand your desire to be a part of it (and I so wish I could be there, too), but I think recording and posting it might be going a little too far.
Well said :thumbsup2
I also wish I could be there - I'll be there in spirit and will certainly be thinking of Bawb, his family, and his friends who will be celebrating his life this weekend. I've got you all in my prayers.

IHeartTink04
04-30-2008, 06:19 PM
I agree completely. I don't even see how it could possibly be recorded.:confused3

I think it is amazing that you guys are still putting on a meet and greet and that you all understand our sympathy.

I wish I could be there.:grouphug:

athenna
04-30-2008, 07:04 PM
I am in shock right now. Bob was my favorite podcast host, I loved he sounded like me, loved I could listen to a Bostonian on a WDW postcast:goodvibes I loved hearing his adventures.
I am truly saddened and stunned....My heart goes out to Diana and his family and to all of you, you were part of his family indeed.
:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

brookelizabeth
04-30-2008, 11:01 PM
I am a fairly new Podcast listener, DH and I listen to the shows while we work from home on Tuesdays. Bawb quickly became a favorite of ours. He never failed to make us laugh and smile.

Hugs to his friends and family, you will be in my prayers.

DLBDS
05-01-2008, 10:37 AM

Hmm. I'm not sure I agree with ya, Mindy. It's not like this is a formal 'wake'. It was scheduled to be a podcast show then changed to a meet and greet that'll kinda morph into a Bawb memorial. I'm not saying it should be broadcast via the internet but I don't think it would be in poor taste to do so. Maybe post pics taken from those assembled would be easier. No, the more I think about it, the more I think it would be a nice way for those who can't attend to be able to participate, or at least, feel like they were there. Then again, I know how the podcast team likes to remain incognito and probably wouldn't want pics of themselves posted here. Anyway, I'm just sayin'.....

calypso*a*go-go
05-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Hmm. I'm not sure I agree with ya, Mindy. It's not like this is a formal 'wake'. It was scheduled to be a podcast show then changed to a meet and greet that'll kinda morph into a Bawb memorial. I'm not saying it should be broadcast via the internet but I don't think it would be in poor taste to do so. Maybe post pics taken from those assembled would be easier. No, the more I think about it, the more I think it would be a nice way for those who can't attend to be able to participate, or at least, feel like they were there. Then again, I know how the podcast team likes to remain incognito and probably wouldn't want pics of themselves posted here. Anyway, I'm just sayin'.....

I know the Podcast Crew realizes we are all mourning with them and are sad that so many of us can't be there to celebrate Bob's life...if they can find an appropriate way to share any part of the memorial service or Meet 'N' Greet, I'm sure they will not hesitate to do so. So I'll leave it in their capable hands. (Perhaps a copy of any notable eulogies can be viewed thru a link on the DIS Unplugged main page...that type of thing.) However it turns out, I will be there in spirit since I can't be there in person. :hug:

Cruz Family
05-01-2008, 10:55 AM
I have to agree with Mindy. This is sure to be an emotionally charged gathering and should remain private to those who attend.

mommyceratops
05-01-2008, 02:49 PM
I have to agree with Mindy. This is sure to be an emotionally charged gathering and should remain private to those who attend.

When they are ready......they know we miss him also.

They do something for Bawb and I just know it will be perfect, full of props, dole whips and a lucky cat.

I can't imagine how hard it will be for them to try and do another show, I listened to some old ones last night and I just can't imagine it without Bawb? Just like I can't picture no more Kahrt Kam?

UrsulasShadow
05-01-2008, 04:17 PM
I understand what you're saying, but there are people that will be attending...friends and family, for instance...that really haven't agreed to become public figures previous to this sad event, and I don't think it's really the time to make them so. Podcasts are very public. When the event was strictly a podcast event, the participants were all fans and podcasters. That no longer is the case.

The reason I think it's inappropriate is the same reason I think the paparazzi is inappropriate. Some things shouldn't be put out there in cyberspace, because there's always the chance that some people will view it for entertainment's sake alone. I think that would be a terrible shame.

cocowum
05-01-2008, 04:32 PM
I understand what you're saying, but there are people that will be attending...friends and family, for instance...that really haven't agreed to become public figures previous to this sad event, and I don't think it's really the time to make them so. Podcasts are very public. When the event was strictly a podcast event, the participants were all fans and podcasters. That no longer is the case.

The reason I think it's inappropriate is the same reason I think the paparazzi is inappropriate. Some things shouldn't be put out there in cyberspace, because there's always the chance that some people will view it for entertainment's sake alone. I think that would be a terrible shame.

Very well put, Mindy. I agree completely.

IHeartTink04
05-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Like I said previously, how can anyone really expect it to be recorded?

John said it would be like a "meet and greet" not like a funeral where people will stand up and give eulogies.

So I just think logistically it wouldn't even be possible.

I agree with Mindy and I think that it should be an event reserved for the attendees.

drakethib
05-01-2008, 07:23 PM

John said it would be like a "meet and greet" not like a funeral where people will stand up and give eulogies.

I agree with Mindy and I think that it should be an event reserved for the attendees.

Agree.

timmac
05-02-2008, 07:51 AM

I agree that recording or broadcast of the event on any kind of wholesale nature is both technically challenging, and not appropriate anyway.

On the other hand, if attendees were to take pictures of any of the props that people bring (you know there's gonna be some empty dole whip cups there), or of those who don't mind having their picture taken, I don't see anything wrong with something like that.

Any idea if Kaht Kam will be there? While it's possibly the single most obvious iconic representation of Bawb, I'm also wondering if it would simply be too sad.

mommyceratops
05-02-2008, 10:43 AM
I just really want to go....

I will be thinking of you guys all weekend.....Really why is gas and air fare so high right now?!

loriandmatt
05-02-2008, 11:42 AM
i was out of internet service this week and just now am learning of this very sad news. I am heartbroken.

i want to pass along my thoughts and prayers for his friends and family. If it brings you any comfort, please know that we, his internet fans, loved him and will miss him greatly.

gojoe
05-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Bob you are already missed. Thank you for all the joy you brought into my life. I truly looked forward to the pod cast and shared your love of Disney. I know I will continue to look for you in the parks and I know I will always feel your presence when I am there. Thank you Bob.

UrsulasShadow
05-03-2008, 04:36 PM
What a beautiful, moving slideshow the gang posted. Now that is perfect.

parrotheadlois
05-03-2008, 05:02 PM
:sad1: What a beautiful, moving slideshow the gang posted. Now that is perfect.

:sad1:

absolutely...

macheath
05-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Agreed.:angel:

BRobson
05-03-2008, 05:15 PM

:hug:

Disneybridein2k3
05-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Agreed. And just when I thought I was all out of tears too. Who knew?

BillM99999
05-03-2008, 10:24 PM
Ditto. Something for those of us who couldn't make it to the memorial service...

Hunny
05-04-2008, 12:48 AM
I am new to the Podcast, matter of fact I am listening to the April 24th show which is my first show and i don't know how i lived without it!
I am sadden that I will not be able to get to know, what seems to be a wonderful human being, like most of you knew him. Beautiful slide show
Say Hi to Walt for us Bawb!

mikelan6
05-05-2008, 11:36 AM
This is so very sad. I will miss Bob on the podcast.

disneygirlinnj
05-05-2008, 09:38 PM
wow. I'm stunned and sobbing right now. I feel like I must have been hiding under a rock for the past week or so. I had NO idea any of this was going on and I'm just sitting here stunned. I've been on the forums but havent checked the podcast section since I've been slacking listening.

My condolences to all of Bawb's friends and family, and the whole DIS family in general. I'm crying right now and I only got to know Bob through the podcast.

I'll be heading down to the World on Wednesday and will definitely have to get a Dole Whip in honor of Bawb :)

mickey890
05-11-2008, 10:55 AM
thanks 4 the info sorry i couldn't make it
Bawb was a great fun loving person and will be sadly missed by all of us podcast listeners .

R.I.P. Bawb xx:sad1: :sad2: :sad1: :sad2: :sad1: :sad2: :sad2: :sad1: :sad2: :sad1: :sad2:

dragonstarr
05-14-2008, 07:08 AM
I wanted to let you all know that my heart goes out to you in this very sad time. I'm pretty much a lurker as far as calling and emailing the podcast and I haven't posted on the boards in years, but when I heard the news this morning on the podcast, I was very shocked and saddened. Bob was such a big part of the show and I always loved his quips and the way he took your friendly teasing when he used his unique pronunciations. Right now, I can't imagine listening to the show without him and although I never met him, listening to the show made me really care about him. He will be sorely missed even by those who only knew him in this periferal way. I just had to let you know that me meant something even to those that only knew him as a voice.

Pluto Region1
05-14-2008, 08:50 PM
I've listened to the podcast now for about a year and this had become my favorite Disney podcast. After listening for so long I felt like I had really come to know Pete, John, Kevin, Julie, Corey and of course Bawb. You feel like you're spending time with your own personal friends. I don't know how often I'll come to the forum, but I just wanted to give my condolences to all of you - his family, the podcasters, and the listeners who like me, came to know this gentle kind man.

DebšošS
05-18-2008, 09:05 AM
After the meet I wandered around enjoying the beautiful atrium. Here's a little slideshow I put together for Bob in his memory Gaylord Palms (http://s301.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w301.photobucket.com/albums/nn44/DebsD200/1033563c.pbw)

calypso*a*go-go
05-18-2008, 10:35 AM
After the meet I wandered around enjoying the beautiful atrium. Here's a little slideshow I put together for Bob in his memory Gaylord Palms (http://s301.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w301.photobucket.com/albums/nn44/DebsD200/1033563c.pbw)

Great job Deb...the photos are just gorgeous!

DebšošS
05-18-2008, 10:41 AM